Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 270 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8071 of 11147 Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Question for you. I currently have the Oppo BDP-83.
I want to upgrade to the 95 but I wanted to ask if anyone knows how it compares to the Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD and Denon DVD-A1UDCI.

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 11147 Old 03-24-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

Question for you. I currently have the Oppo BDP-83. I want to upgrade to the 95 but I wanted to ask if anyone knows how it compares to the Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD and Denon DVD-A1UDCI.Thx

Hi. You'll need to be more specific. Compares irt what?

Also, some other questions for you. What processor are you using-does it have HDMI and good DSP RC technology? Is your room acoustically treated? Are you planning on sending MC and /or Stereo analog signals to your processor, and if so, why.

BTW, if you are prioritizing music SQ and have a DenonLink-capable Denon processor, by all means get the DVD-A1UDCI (or universal BluRay DBP4010) and use the digital DenonLink connection. Those with high-end Denon processors should check out this post and the one after, and the links embedded therein where I report on my OppovsDenon player comparison.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #8073 of 11147 Old 03-24-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Hi. You'll need to be more specific. Compares irt what?

Also, some other questions for you. What processor are you using-does it have HDMI and good DSP RC technology? Is your room acoustically treated? Are you planning on sending MC and /or Stereo analog signals to your processor, and if so, why.

BTW, if you are prioritizing music SQ and have a DenonLink-capable Denon processor, by all means get the DVD-A1UDCI (or universal BluRay DBP4010) and use the digital DenonLink connection. Those with high-end Denon processors should check out this post and the one after, and the links embedded therein where I report on my OppovsDenon player comparison.

Room is not acoustically treated. I was hoping that the Integra DHC 80.3's Audyssey can help with that. Proceed AMP 5 and 4 Totem Rainmakers, Center, and Velodyne 10 inch DD+

I wanted to use the balanced outputs of the oppo for stereo listening and analog 5.1 out for DVD Audio and SACD and HDMI for movies so Audyssey can do it's thing. I wanted to know if the Pioneer or the Denon will be a better match but I am begining to think that the Oppo is my best bet.

TV is Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro111-FD
post #8074 of 11147 Old 03-24-2012, 09:37 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Room is not acoustically treated. I was hoping that the Integra DHC 80.3's Audyssey can help with that. Proceed AMP 5 and 4 Totem Rainmakers, Center, and Velodyne 10 inch DD+

As was said in the 80.3 thread Bardia the integra has no a/d conversion for the multi analog ins so audyssey cant be used that route . The 93 is the way to go if you want better media streaming ;otherwise your 83 is fine

The pio 09 cant play sacd's or dvd audio if important and the DVD-A1UDCI downrez's sacd dsd to 16/44.1 if you cant use denonlink 4 if important to you
post #8075 of 11147 Old 03-24-2012, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

I wanted to use the balanced outputs of the oppo for stereo listening and analog 5.1 out for DVD Audio and SACD and HDMI for movies so Audyssey can do it's thing. I wanted to know if the Pioneer or the Denon will be a better match but I am begining to think that the Oppo is my best bet.

TV is Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro111-FD

Go with your gut and try a 95, sounds like you might get the best of both
post #8076 of 11147 Old 03-25-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:

I wanted to use the balanced outputs of the oppo for stereo listening and analog 5.1 out for DVD Audio and SACD and HDMI for movies so Audyssey can do it's thing. I wanted to know if the Pioneer or the Denon will be a better match but I am begining to think that the Oppo is my best bet...

Nice 5.1 setup. You have been advised well on the 80.3 thread. Note that balanced line level short runs like from player to processor will not improve SQ one bit over simple decent RCA interconnects. And, as the "pure" analog route using the 95's DACs bypasses that fab new Audyssey XT32 DSP, you are wasting cash on a 95, so get a 93. Or get any other decent universal BRP of your choice, based on their other features such as streaming, Netflix, etc., as the 80.3 has exc video pocessing on board. Put the at-least-$500 you'll save toward a Audyssey Pro kit, a measurement system such as OmniMic or second DD10+.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #8077 of 11147 Old 03-26-2012, 03:41 PM

Liked: 11
I got my 95 three months ago. I'd give it CDs, SACDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays with no problem. Today, I popped in the Mo-Fi SACD from Billy Joel - Piano Man. I listened to the complete disk and on the last track (Captain Jack), something wacko happened. I heard some clicks and silence, clicks and silence. This goes on for about 2-odd minutes. I eject the disk. Power off and power on. This time, I insert a CD (one that I have place countless times) and the OPPO shows me "No Disk". I tried a known DVD, and I still get "No Disk". I followed the rules to flush persistent storage (including to power off the OPPO twice). I inserted known good disks (CD, DVD, SACD, Blu-Ray) and I still get the "No Disk" message from all of them.

Has anyone run this problem? Can reading a SACD (or any disk) actually damage the OPPO? Your help and insight would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
post #8078 of 11147 Old 03-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbj View Post

I got my 95 three months ago. I'd give it CDs, SACDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays with no problem. Today, I popped in the Mo-Fi SACD from Billy Joel - Piano Man. I listened to the complete disk and on the last track (Captain Jack), something wacko happened. I heard some clicks and silence, clicks and silence. This goes on for about 2-odd minutes. I eject the disk. Power off and power on. This time, I insert a CD (one that I have place countless times) and the OPPO shows me "No Disk". I tried a known DVD, and I still get "No Disk". I followed the rules to flush persistent storage (including to power off the OPPO twice). I inserted known good disks (CD, DVD, SACD, Blu-Ray) and I still get the "No Disk" message from all of them.

Has anyone run this problem? Can reading a SACD (or any disk) actually damage the OPPO? Your help and insight would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

It's time to call Oppo, assuming player is clean...sounds like an issue with the laser/pick-up. Same symptoms I've gotten in the past with other players/readers.

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #8079 of 11147 Old 03-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 796
^^ Give OPPO a call. It sound like your Optical Drive is having problems. It could be as simple as the laser lens has picked up some dirt and can't see the discs.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8080 of 11147 Old 03-26-2012, 04:21 PM

Thanks guys, I'll give OPPO a call and what they say.
post #8081 of 11147 Old 03-26-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Here we go again.

Why would the level balance using the tones in the multichannel analog menu not have the same results as using a bluray calibration disk?

....and the subwoofer tone doesn't sound right...in addition to not being the same level as the calibration disk.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #8082 of 11147 Old 03-26-2012, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have try using 8 rca for the mutlichannel out to the receiver, but the subwoofer sounds not enough, have been adding 10db, stills seems not enough, is anyone using 7.1 anlalog have the same problem?
post #8083 of 11147 Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'm considering this player for my HT/Listening room. The system is as follows:

Watt Puppy V.1s- L&R, powered with Bryston 4B SST2.
Phantom Center
M&K LCR650CH Surrounds powered with Adcom GFA-545 (100W/Channel)
M&K V125 Sub
Rotel RSP 1066 PrePro- 10 years old, but not 18" deep, so it will fit in my equipment cabinet.

Note this is a 4.1 system, with an old preamp, but one which received good reviews for audio quality back in the day. I plan to run analog out of the Oppo to the 5.1 inputs on the Rotel, and connect the BDP directly to my NEC HT1000 via component cable. When I prewired my room 10 years ago, HDMI didn't exist. I may upgrade the display when Wireless HD is the norm, as I don't want to tear my room apart to run an HDMI cable.

I don't care about Audessey, as I can set up my speakers with a meter. Thus, using the 1066 just for volume control seems to make a newer AV Processor unnecessary. Any thoughts? Am I missing something? I really like the idea of the 95 as my main source.
post #8084 of 11147 Old 03-27-2012, 05:04 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

No.
Butt I own a MWI mod'ED 95.
If anyone chimes in, be super critical of the evaluation.
Really! Super critical!!
Cause the 95 needs a ton of hrs on it
&
MWI Mod is sensitive too which tubes (brought a doz pr & I'm buying more/as well as four recifirer valves), power cords (even switching between the pc's on the 95 & the PS 9.0 makes a diff), and because the 95 has a ton of detail (some would say it sounds 'dry' because of that) output cables will come into play as well.
Ugh!
If your going digital out, remember, just get a 93 for half the price.

Now that I've tweakED mine & tweakED mine... sonic marvel!
And Dan is working on a digital input as we speak (so even "TV" will sound killer ).
Enjoy.

Did you at least audition a stock 95 before venturing down the mod route?

Steve
post #8085 of 11147 Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Here we go again.

Why would the level balance using the tones in the multichannel analog menu not have the same results as using a bluray calibration disk?

....and the subwoofer tone doesn't sound right...in addition to not being the same level as the calibration disk.

I am using analogy multi-channel to pre-processor. I set the pre-processor as bypass with only the volumn controller. Here is what I found with test tone on Oppo-95. I am using SPL meter on the tripod to test.

1. The levels on the rear speaker are 4 db higher than the front and in the end I have to apply 3.5db attenuation.
2. The subwoofer level is 10 db below and cannot be brught up. No matter if I use the trim function or turn the dial up on the subwoofer box.
3. The subwoof test tone came out from center and the front besides the subwoofer.

It does not seem to be right.
post #8086 of 11147 Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unidisk View Post

I am using analogy multi-channel to pre-processor. I set the pre-processor as bypass with only the volumn controller. Here is what I found with test tone on Oppo-95. I am using SPL meter on the tripod to test.

1. The levels on the rear speaker are 4 db higher than the front and in the end I have to apply 3.5db attenuation.
2. The subwoofer level is 10 db below and cannot be brught up. No matter if I use the trim function or turn the dial up on the subwoofer box.
3. The subwoof test tone came out from center and the front besides the subwoofer.

It does not seem to be right.

I suggest you get the AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray disc:

http://aixrecords.com/catalog/bd/oppo_sampler_bd.html

Use the LPCM tracks on that disc to check your levels. Pick the LPCM track that matches your actual speaker configuration (5.1 or 7.1).

This will give you a test of levels that's independent of the test tones built into the player and will help you figure out if there's a problem in those built in test tones or someplace else in your setup.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8087 of 11147 Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2498 View Post

Hi guys, I have some doubts with my next purchased to improve the sound of my 804D home theater, I will buy a OPPO BDP-95 because I want improve the sound quality of my CD's and bluray concerts and I know that this one have a rotel transformer and better DACs than my current Denon AVR-3310. actually I have a cheaper Panasonic bluray player and I listen my cd's and blurays in this one across HDMI connection but I don't know if the oppo is the better choice for me, also I will change my denon to a rotel RSX-1562 and with this get a most musical AVR, my main use is bluray concert and CD´s but with the RSX-1562 maybe I will get better DAC instead of the OPPO?, what do you think is the better options for me, a oppo player or better AVR, or another options will be a dedicated CD player under 500 bucks and the oppo BDP-93 for my bluray disc,if anyone have another option It's welcome. The video quality in a HD video with the oppo is a better instead in a cheap bluray or only the oppo have a better image in dvd up scaling?
Thanks for you help.

I also went with the Oppo 95 because of the SQ of analog outs and now i'm thinking to just get a Parasound analog pre-amp instead of doing the Integra or Anthem digital pre-amps with the ARC or Audyssey.

I think I rather just get the raw, unaltered sound coming out of the Oppo in full analog mode.
post #8088 of 11147 Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingMyRide View Post

Did you at least audition a stock 95 before venturing down the mod route?

Nope.
In Oppo I trust!
(Oppo's down the road from here in Cali)
I had a 980H (still do/right in front of me now/in the desk system).
Was only using the 980 for music in the main system, however when I got the mod'ED unit comparED the two. W/the tweakED/broken in 980 & the fresh from Rocky Mtn Audio Fest MVI 95 it was close.
The 980 was darker, butt really held its own on two channel of my personal fave demo disc muzak.

The MWI 95 is now preforming at a much higher level. Even video-wise. Got the Disney "WoW" disc last night & color/depth is outstanding. Even on non-3D older titles. "Dangerous Liaisons" was joyfully too watch; w/skin, fabrics, & objects showing GREAT dimensionally.

The reason I got the mod'ED unit 1st, was actually was planning too get a non-mod 95 next month (April), was because a MWI show demo unit came up for sale last Oct.
MWI figures the demo discount different than me; the way I figure it, I got the 95 for free & only paid for the mods.

Can't say I'd do it again.
I'd spent over a grand tube rolling last yr & another 300 bucks this month.
If you do it, just go right for Dan's tube suggestions.
Save a lot of time & $$$..

Some say the 95 is the perfect thousand dollar player.
I wont argue that.
I've spent 5K (tube mod +, tubes, XLR cables, iso platforms, power cables, region free mod, multi-channel solid state mod, Bybee rail mods, & even wooden blocks) on my 'free' 95.

I justify that (ugh!) w/the fact an Ayre base uni is 6K based on the old Oppo 83 w/o 3D & w/o tubes.
Sick, uh?!?!

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #8089 of 11147 Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 AM

Liked: 10
I have watched this board for thread for about a year now, and I have seen many issues expressed over the 93/95 video performance. I received my Oppo 95 in March last year, and I have been pleased with its performance. I have an extensive Blu-ray collection (150 Titles) and I am not interested in the ISO functions. I enjoy the video and audio performance alone, along with its ability to play various audio formats for music such as SACD and High Res music . I have recently heard issues with some new Blu-ray titles. I have fortunately been able to play all titles that others have complained about. I do have a question concerning only one issue I have been seeing in my Oppo 95. Only a few titles so far have experienced this strange issue (Ratatouille and Hugo), and maybe one other that I cannot remember at the moment. For some reason when I play these titles, a weird strong red tint displays during the previews, but the actually movie displays perfectly. When I stop the player and start over again this issue disappears. Can someone explain the reason for this phenomenon?

Russell
post #8090 of 11147 Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also went with the Oppo 95 because of the SQ of analog outs and now i'm thinking to just get a Parasound analog pre-amp instead of doing the Integra or Anthem digital pre-amps with the ARC or Audyssey.

I think I rather just get the raw, unaltered sound coming out of the Oppo in full analog mode.

The 95 has a volume control.
You can go "the raw, unaltered sound" direct too the amp(s).

post #8091 of 11147 Old 03-27-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh2173 View Post

I have watched this board for thread for about a year now, and I have seen many issues expressed over the 93/95 video performance. I received my Oppo 95 in March last year, and I have been pleased with its performance. I have an extensive Blu-ray collection (150 Titles) and I am not interested in the ISO functions. I enjoy the video and audio performance alone, along with its ability to play various audio formats for music such as SACD and High Res music . I have recently heard issues with some new Blu-ray titles. I have fortunately been able to play all titles that others have complained about. I do have a question concerning only one issue I have been seeing in my Oppo 95. Only a few titles so far have experienced this strange issue (Ratatouille and Hugo), and maybe one other that I cannot remember at the moment. For some reason when I play these titles, a weird strong red tint displays during the previews, but the actually movie displays perfectly. When I stop the player and start over again this issue disappears. Can someone explain the reason for this phenomenon?

I get EDweird screen issues, w/all my HDMI sources, so it may be a handshake issue.
YMMV

post #8092 of 11147 Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Nope.
In Oppo I trust!
(Oppo's down the road from here in Cali)
I had a 980H (still do/right in front of me now/in the desk system).
Was only using the 980 for music in the main system, however when I got the mod'ED unit comparED the two. W/the tweakED/broken in 980 & the fresh from Rocky Mtn Audio Fest MVI 95 it was close.
The 980 was darker, butt really held its own on two channel of my personal fave demo disc muzak.

The MWI 95 is now preforming at a much higher level. Even video-wise. Got the Disney "WoW" disc last night & color/depth is outstanding. Even on non-3D older titles. "Dangerous Liaisons" was joyfully too watch; w/skin, fabrics, & objects showing GREAT dimensionally.

The reason I got the mod'ED unit 1st, was actually was planning too get a non-mod 95 next month (April), was because a MWI show demo unit came up for sale last Oct.
MWI figures the demo discount different than me; the way I figure it, I got the 95 for free & only paid for the mods.

Can't say I'd do it again.
I'd spent over a grand tube rolling last yr & another 300 bucks this month.
If you do it, just go right for Dan's tube suggestions.
Save a lot of time & $$$..

Some say the 95 is the perfect thousand dollar player.
I wont argue that.
I've spent 5K (tube mod +, tubes, XLR cables, iso platforms, power cables, region free mod, multi-channel solid state mod, Bybee rail mods, & even wooden blocks) on my 'free' 95.

I justify that (ugh!) w/the fact an Ayre base uni is 6K based on the old Oppo 83 w/o 3D & w/o tubes.
Sick, uh?!?!

Nah, though this pursuit is a path with no end. My 1st prerequisite is to enjoy the ride, it sounds like you are. I have had my 95 for a little over a year now, $ for $, probably the best I have put into my ride.

Steve
post #8093 of 11147 Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Shocking Pink video is a symptom of an HDMI handshake failure. The two sides of the cable are in disagreement over whether RGB or YCbCr data format is being used. If the mistake is made the other way then the video is Ghastly Green.

If you have 1080p/24 Auto set (the usual choice), then several handshakes happen as you move through the previews, and evidently the player and display are not agreeing. This isn't supposed to happen of course.

The usual cure is to simplify the handshake by picking an explicit HDMI Color Space data format (e.g., YCbCr 4:4:4) instead of Auto.

Also check if the problem arises when using 1080i output resolution instead of 1080p. If 1080i works reliably, but 1080p does not then that is evidence the cabling is marginal. This could be as simple as an HDMI plug not fully inserted.

If you have an AVR between the player and display on the video path, also pick an explicit data format for the AVR's output, and check both the cabling to the AVR and the cabling from the AVR to the display.

If the problem only happens when you start a disc WHILE turning everything on, it could simply be the display is not quite ready to handle HDMI set up properly yet. Check this by turning things on in reverse order of the data flow. Turn the TV ON, wait, turn the AVR ON, wait, then turn the player ON.

Typically problems like this can be cured by forcing a new HDMI handshake. E.g., use the Resolution button on the player's remote to switch to 1080i and then back to 1080p again.
--Bob

post #8094 of 11147 Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

No.
Butt I own a MWI mod'ED 95.
If anyone chimes in, be super critical of the evaluation.
Really! Super critical!!
Cause the 95 needs a ton of hrs on it
&
MWI Mod is sensitive too which tubes (brought a doz pr & I'm buying more/as well as four recifirer valves), power cords (even switching between the pc's on the 95 & the PS 9.0 makes a diff), and because the 95 has a ton of detail (some would say it sounds 'dry' because of that) output cables will come into play as well.
Ugh!
If your going digital out, remember, just get a 93 for half the price.

Now that I've tweakED mine & tweakED mine... sonic marvel!
And Dan is working on a digital input as we speak (so even "TV" will sound killer ).
Enjoy.

In instead of spending $$ on modding your Oppo, why not just get a really good DAC like A PS Audio or like.
post #8095 of 11147 Old 03-27-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:

That's what I did. The Parasound P7 works beautifully with both the stereo balanced outs and the multichannel outs on the 95. And you can go fully balanced or not from the P7 to your amp. Both sets of outs (XLR and RCA) are active, which offers any number of intriguing opportunities. What the P7 lacks are trim controls on the individual channels, although that can be done upstream (in the 95, in PCM mode).
post #8096 of 11147 Old 03-27-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Shocking Pink video is a symptom of an HDMI handshake failure. The two sides of the cable are in disagreement over whether RGB or YCbCr data format is being used. If the mistake is made the other way then the video is Ghastly Green.

If you have 1080p/24 Auto set (the usual choice), then several handshakes happen as you move through the previews, and evidently the player and display are not agreeing. This isn't supposed to happen of course.

The usual cure is to simplify the handshake by picking an explicit HDMI Color Space data format (e.g., YCbCr 4:4:4) instead of Auto.

Also check if the problem arises when using 1080i output resolution instead of 1080p. If 1080i works reliably, but 1080p does not then that is evidence the cabling is marginal. This could be as simple as an HDMI plug not fully inserted.

If you have an AVR between the player and display on the video path, also pick an explicit data format for the AVR's output, and check both the cabling to the AVR and the cabling from the AVR to the display.

If the problem only happens when you start a disc WHILE turning everything on, it could simply be the display is not quite ready to handle HDMI set up properly yet. Check this by turning things on in reverse order of the data flow. Turn the TV ON, wait, turn the AVR ON, wait, then turn the player ON.

Typically problems like this can be cured by forcing a new HDMI handshake. E.g., use the Resolution button on the player's remote to switch to 1080i and then back to 1080p again.
--Bob

Bob, thanks for taking the time to write that thorough reply. It is in fact, better described by you, as a shocking pink video. So, at least I now know what this phenomenon is and what it looks like and not a mystery to me anymore. Understand that this has only happen 3 times since I had this player and only happen while the player was playing previews. I can see now after the player plays the previews, and loads the actual movie, handshaking between my TV and player happens again and the problem is corrected. I doubt if it is a marginal cable issue since I am using top quality Audioquest Carbon HDMI cable. When I play a Blu-ray movie, I ALWAYS have the TV on first, and the putting the Blu-ray disc in the player is ALWAYS the last sequence for me when I play movies. I will do further research on this issue by checking the 1080p and 1080i toggle analysis, and making sure the HDMI cable is seated properly. I don't use Auto HDMI color space, but only use a specific Data format. I do have the 1080p24 Output set to Auto. I do not have an AVR setup. I have a basic 2 channel setup. By the way, I was just checking out your analysis guide to fine tuning the Color space and Deep Color format by watching Ratatouille, and it was very useful as I have already calibrated my Oppo using the Spears and Munsil Blu-ray, but it gave me greater insight in how I can observe it in actual movie.

Thanks again Bob

Russell
post #8097 of 11147 Old 03-28-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:

Bob, thanks for taking the time to write that thorough reply. It is in fact, better described by you, as a shocking pink video. So, at least I now know what this phenomenon is and what it looks like and not a mystery to me anymore. Understand that this has only happen 3 times since I had this player and only happen while the player was playing previews. I can see now after the player plays the previews, and loads the actual movie, handshaking between my TV and player happens again and the problem is corrected. I doubt if it is a marginal cable issue since I am using top quality Audioquest Carbon HDMI cable. When I play a Blu-ray movie, I ALWAYS have the TV on first, and the putting the Blu-ray disc in the player is ALWAYS the last sequence for me when I play movies. I will do further research on this issue by checking the 1080p and 1080i toggle analysis, and making sure the HDMI cable is seated properly. I don't use Auto HDMI color space, but only use a specific Data format. I do have the 1080p24 Output set to Auto. I do not have an AVR setup. I have a basic 2 channel setup. By the way, I was just checking out your analysis guide to fine tuning the Color space and Deep Color format by watching Ratatouille, and it was very useful as I have already calibrated my Oppo using the Spears and Munsil Blu-ray, but it gave me greater insight in how I can observe it in actual movie.

Thanks again Bob

It is definitely a shaking issue, as I realized I could clear this issue if I turn the TV off and on again. Again, this has happened only a few times and only has been associated with a few titles and only occurs during the previews. I had my Oppo for a year now, and I have experienced no other issues. I figure this issue occurs due to the 1080p24 setting. So really a non issue, since I rarely see this and consider it a glitch.

Russell
post #8098 of 11147 Old 03-28-2012, 04:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I suggest you get the AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray disc:

http://aixrecords.com/catalog/bd/oppo_sampler_bd.html

Use the LPCM tracks on that disc to check your levels. Pick the LPCM track that matches your actual speaker configuration (5.1 or 7.1).

This will give you a test of levels that's independent of the test tones built into the player and will help you figure out if there's a problem in those built in test tones or someplace else in your setup.
--Bob

Is there some reason that Digital Video Essentials HD Basics as recommended on page 73 of the most recent Oppo .pdf shouldn't be used?

Using that disc, the levels vary from those emitted via the test tone feature found within the multichannel speaker setup menu.

I don't know that I really care as much as a concern that if there is something wrong here, there may be other things that aren't right. Specifically, that subwoofer test tone that doesn't sound right. Almost as though its not a limited bandwidth signal or not crossed over.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #8099 of 11147 Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Mostly I wanted to give you a way to check your report that the subwoofer test tone was coming out of other speakers as well (e.g., Center). I'm very familiar with what's on the AIX disc for test tones and haven't used the DVE disc for test tones. You have to be careful with some test discs as they put out their bass tests on a main speaker channel (e.g., Left Front) and presume that crossover processing will re-direct that to the subwoofer.

If a real .1 (LFE) test tone as from the AIX tests is coming out on other speakers than just the subwoofer then something is screwed up in your wiring or setup. Double check that you have the Subwoofer ON in the OPPO's Analog Speaker Configuration setup and that it is also ON in the setup in your AVR.

If the AIX (or equivalent) .1 channel test is coming out properly on ONLY the subwoofer but the built-in subwoofer test tone is also coming out on Center then that's a bug in your player.
--Bob

post #8100 of 11147 Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Bob. I'll check and see if I can tell.

Also a concern is that LFE is coming out at the correct level and range but that's another day.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page