Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 271 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8101 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Will I be able to use the OPPO 95 into an analog preamp, say the Parasound P7, in a 4.1 system? Will I be able to go from the player to the P7 with 5 RCA cables, then set it all up with an SPL meter, including turning off the Center? I have the Rotel 1066 I can use for this function, and it takes either 2 channel or multi inputs, but I thought the P7 might give better 2 channel stereo sound. In other words, will the 95 offer as much control as I need as far as equalization is concerned?

Is the OPPO 95 manual available online?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post

Is the OPPO 95 manual available online?

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP9...ual_v1.5.1.pdf

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #8103 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Thanks Bob. I'll check and see if I can tell.

Also a concern is that LFE is coming out at the correct level and range but that's another day.

Sure. The first check is that things are coming out on the correct speakers. If you do get the AIX disc, use the LPCM tracks on that to check and with HDMI Audio LPCM in the Oppo. This will eliminate any strangeness that might be happening in Bitstream processing. Pick the LPCM track that matches your actual speaker configuration (5.1 or 7.1).

Do check that you have the Subwoofer ON both in the Oppo and in the AVR configuration, and disable any surround sound processing in the AVR.

It would also be wise to double check your cabling and make sure you are using the correct jack at both ends of the cable for the subwoofer signal. Mixing up Sub and Center in the wiring might be a piece of your problem. Crossover processing on the Center speaker in your AVR might still be getting most of that miss-wired bass re-directed to the Sub for example.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8104 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Will I be able to use the OPPO 95 into an analog preamp, say the Parasound P7, in a 4.1 system? Will I be able to go from the player to the P7 with 5 RCA cables, then set it all up with an SPL meter, including turning off the Center? I have the Rotel 1066 I can use for this function, and it takes either 2 channel or multi inputs, but I thought the P7 might give better 2 channel stereo sound. In other words, will the 95 offer as much control as I need as far as equalization is concerned?

That's what I have now, a 4.1 system with the 95 into the P7. The Parasound P7 is pure analog so there is no digital anything. Any crossover must be done in the 95, or externally. [The P7 does have crossover capability for stereo inputs, but not multichannel inputs, which is what you would be using for 4.1.] Trims are set in the 95 and, yes, you can turn the center channel off (Note: these settings only take effect in PCM mode, not DSD direct mode. The player lets you choose PCM or DSD in the setup menu). The P7 has tone controls, if you need them, but they can also be disabled from the remote. The P7 also has the capability for left/right and front/rear balance adjustments but not channel specific trims (Note: this clarifies a previous post of mine) and these adjustments can also be disabled from the remote.
post #8105 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingMyRide View Post

Nah, though this pursuit is a path with no end. My 1st prerequisite is to enjoy the ride, it sounds like you are. I have had my 95 for a little over a year now, $ for $, probably the best I have put into my ride.

A HAPPY A/Vphile!!!
Damn glad too meet one.
JJ
(well, just joking a little bit)
My "sweet heart" in the system is Maggie, the spks [1.7's].
Super happy w/the display as well; even tho I still want BIGGER & 3D.
Butt your right, the Oppo raises the whole system up a notch.
And A/V enthusiasts are all bout the next improvement, no matter how small, in A/V Q.

(continue too) Enjoy!

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #8106 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

In instead of spending $$ on modding your Oppo, why not just get a really good DAC like A PS Audio or like.

It "all" startED w/3D.

post #8107 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

It "all" startED w/3D.

What are you going to do when 4D comes out?
post #8108 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbledo View Post

That's what I have now, a 4.1 system with the 95 into the P7. The Parasound P7 is pure analog so there is no digital anything. Any crossover must be done in the 95, or externally. [The P7 does have crossover capability for stereo inputs, but not multichannel inputs, which is what you would be using for 4.1.] Trims are set in the 95 and, yes, you can turn the center channel off (Note: these settings only take effect in PCM mode, not DSD direct mode. The player lets you choose PCM or DSD in the setup menu). The P7 has tone controls, if you need them, but they can also be disabled from the remote. The P7 also has the capability for left/right and front/rear balance adjustments but not channel specific trims (Note: this clarifies a previous post of mine) and these adjustments can also be disabled from the remote.

Thanks. Do you just run one set of cables from the 95 to the P7? I'm a bit confused about connecting the 95 to a preamp for HT vs 2 channel stereo. Can you do balanced cables from the 95 to the P7 for stereo, and RCA analog for HT at the same time? Is there an advantage to doing so?

The manual for the 95 says you can turn off any speaker, and it will then split the signal for that speaker to any other applicable speaker. I just want to be certain that the player allows you to run a phantom center, so that it splits the center channel signal to the LF and RF speakers. I really don't want to buy a Wilson center channel for $5K, as the WP V.1s alone should be great for the front speakers both for HT and stereo.

Also, I wonder if I'll gain much with the P7 over my Rotel 1066, which has multi input to accept the analog out from the 95. Both should simply be a straight wire with gain, right? The Rotel also has tone controls, but I have never used them.
post #8109 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

What are you going to do when 4D comes out?

Any one got 5 grand too loan me?!?!

post #8110 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 12:56 PM

Liked: 14
Hifi News Review:

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFil...s_May_2012.pdf

Quote:

While not yet officially announced, HFN was exclusively informed that an Oppo BDP-95EU control App for Apple iOS and Android will be launched this summer

post #8111 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 01:05 PM

From the same review:

Quote:

The Oppo bass management bug' is still present: its front channels clipped if either (but not both) centre/surround channels are small' with the sub off'

I haven't heard about this bug
I have centre channel "small", surround "big" and sub "off"... so should I avoid this setting ??? What do they mean by: "it's front channels clipped" ? Is that in real life or only with test tones at certain volumes ???
post #8112 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys View Post

From the same review:

I haven't heard about this bug
I have centre channel "small", surround "big" and sub "off"... so should I avoid this setting ??? What do they mean by: "it's front channels clipped" ? Is that in real life or only with test tones at certain volumes ???

With Center Small and Sub OFF the bass from Center gets steered to LF/RF according to your Crossover choice. That means LF/RF have to be attenuated to allow headroom so that the bass arriving from Center can mix in with the normal LF/RF content *AND* any LFE content (steered from the Sub channel to LF/RF since Sub is OFF) without clipping LF/RF.

Apparently they believe LF/RF are not sufficiently attenuated to prevent possible clipping if the normal LF/RF content, the bass steered in from Center, and the bass steered in from Sub LFE are *ALL* loud at any given moment. I'm not sure Oppo agrees with their finding here. There are some established standards for the amount of attenuation to be used to provide headroom without also clobbering the noise floor. In addition, your pre-amp may not be sensitive to these higher input voltages -- i.e., it may have enough headroom on its own that clipping doesn't happen.

If you make Surround small as well, then additional attenuation is applied (to accommodate THAT bass being steered in as well), and apparently they feel that is sufficient. And if NEITHER Center nor Surround are Small -- or if you HAVE a Sub -- then there's no problem either.

Again, even if they are right, whether clipping will happen so that you can HEAR it (as opposed to the voltage simply crossing some threshold) depends on the set of volumes being combined (are they ALL loud at the same time) and the headroom of the LF/RF inputs in your pre-amp.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8113 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys View Post

Hifi News Review:

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFil...s_May_2012.pdf

This will be the icing on the cake for me with the iPad / iPhone app. I hope it includes the 93 also.

Dali Helicon 400 - C200 MK2'S | Paradigm Signature Sub1 | OPPO 105D | Arcam FMJ P777 Power Amp | Primare SP33 | JVC Dila 950 | Cables: AudioQuest Yukon XLR|Pioneer Kuro 500A | Tivo | Harmony Ultimate
post #8114 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 05:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Do you use the 'Theater bypass' mode of the P7?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7548
post #8115 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

I think I rather just get the raw, unaltered sound coming out of the Oppo in full analog mode.

Nope. You will get that filtered through the acoustical influences of room dimensions, room materials, room furnishing, speaker placement and listener placement. Your move.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8116 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

I also went with the Oppo 95 because of the SQ of analog outs and now i'm thinking to just get a Parasound analog pre-amp instead of doing the Integra or Anthem digital pre-amps with the ARC or Audyssey.

I think I rather just get the raw, unaltered sound coming out of the Oppo in full analog mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Nope. You will get that filtered through the acoustical influences of room dimensions, room materials, room furnishing, speaker placement and listener placement. Your move.

Bardia,

There is no guarantee that you will prefer Audyssey to analog.
I prefer the latter. However, if your budget permits, you can try both.

Report back here, and Kal can tell you what you prefer.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #8117 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Yes and please avoid any bias based on past adaptation and source familiarity.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8118 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
^^^ and properly applied ABX is the only way to eliminate bias...good luck with that one around here.

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #8119 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbledo View Post

That's what I did. The Parasound P7 works beautifully with both the stereo balanced outs and the multichannel outs on the 95. And you can go fully balanced or not from the P7 to your amp. Both sets of outs (XLR and RCA) are active, which offers any number of intriguing opportunities. What the P7 lacks are trim controls on the individual channels, although that can be done upstream (in the 95, in PCM mode).

It does have a lack of trims on the main channels but you can tweak the sub channel and have a different level for stereo inputs vs multi-channel inputs, which is nice. The 95 has full channel trims so this shouldn't be an issue.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #8120 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Bardia,

There is no guarantee that you will prefer Audyssey to analog.
I prefer the latter. However, if your budget permits, you can try both.

- Rich

Uhh! Oh! this should be good
post #8121 of 11189 Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 PM

My BDP-95 is on the latest official firmware (BDP9x-65-0302). HDMI Audio is set to LPCM. SACD Output is set to PCM. I have a 5.1 speaker setup and the BDP-95 is connected to an Anthem AVM50v via HDMI.

Playing tracks 43-48 of the SACD "Stay in Tune with PentaTone" with the 50v volume at -16.5db, I measured the following speaker sound levels with a SPL meter.
LF - 60db, C - 60db, RF - 60db, LS - 61db, RS - 61db, Sub - 68db (fluctuates between 67-69)

Playing the 5.1 LPCM speaker balance tones on the AIX Audio Calibration Disc (Blu-ray) with the 50v volume at -24db, I measured the following speaker sound levels.
LF - 60db, C - 60db, RF - 60db, LS - 61db, RS - 61db, Sub - 63db (fluctuates between 67-69)

I will forward this info to Oppo to see if this is a bug.

Stanley
post #8122 of 11189 Old 03-29-2012, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Sounds much bettr than fake, cheap sound processing that comes in commercial receivers. "Acoustical influences"? Paleeeze, exqueeze me. It is garbage in, garbage out. Improving the room acoustics is not going to help by putting purfurm on the pig.
post #8123 of 11189 Old 03-29-2012, 04:45 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Wrong thread to pick a fight over this topic.
--Bob

post #8124 of 11189 Old 03-29-2012, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
^^
Aye!

Steve
post #8125 of 11189 Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Wrong thread to pick a fight over this topic.
--Bob

Picking a fight and expressing one's opinion are two separate matters. Why all the fuss over hi-res, multi channel, low level room eq, and all-in-1 receivers? Garbage in-garbage out, that is my point. Not looking to pick a fight, but I do have a disdain for some professional a/v opinion writers.
post #8126 of 11189 Old 03-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 319
move on please

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #8127 of 11189 Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheong View Post

My BDP-95 is on the latest official firmware (BDP9x-65-0302). HDMI Audio is set to LPCM. SACD Output is set to PCM. I have a 5.1 speaker setup and the BDP-95 is connected to an Anthem AVM50v via HDMI.

Playing tracks 43-48 of the SACD "Stay in Tune with PentaTone" with the 50v volume at -16.5db, I measured the following speaker sound levels with a SPL meter.
LF - 60db, C - 60db, RF - 60db, LS - 61db, RS - 61db, Sub - 68db (fluctuates between 67-69)

Playing the 5.1 LPCM speaker balance tones on the AIX Audio Calibration Disc (Blu-ray) with the 50v volume at -24db, I measured the following speaker sound levels.
LF - 60db, C - 60db, RF - 60db, LS - 61db, RS - 61db, Sub - 63db (fluctuates between 67-69)

I will forward this info to Oppo to see if this is a bug.

Stanley

Stanley,
Testing on my 93 confirms there is a problem here. I'm not sure which firmware introduced this, as I know the last time I checked this carefully (last year some time) there was no such issue.

I'll get my results to OPPO as well.

HDMI LPCM output of SACD .1 content from the 5.1 layer is +4 to +5dB hotter than it should be.

As we've discussed, you won't actually HEAR this problem on many SACD discs since the studios avoid actually using the .1 channel due to the strangeness of the SACD spec. They put all the bass into the main speaker channels.
--Bob

post #8128 of 11189 Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

The 95 has full channel trims so this shouldn't be an issue.

It's only an issue when you set the SACD Audio Output to DSD, like I do. My ears much prefer the DSD direct to analog processing.
post #8129 of 11189 Old 03-29-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraton View Post

Do you use the 'Theater bypass' mode of the P7?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7548

Wrong thread. But no, why would I with the 95?
[EDIT: The bypass allows one to use an upstream processor, with unity gain. I prefer to let the 95 do all my processing and use it with an analog pre-amp.]
post #8130 of 11189 Old 03-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks. Do you just run one set of cables from the 95 to the P7? I'm a bit confused about connecting the 95 to a preamp for HT vs 2 channel stereo. Can you do balanced cables from the 95 to the P7 for stereo, and RCA analog for HT at the same time? Is there an advantage to doing so?

Yes, I run the balanced for stereo listening and the RCA for multichannel listening. You get the full processing power of the dedicated Sabre ES9018 DAC for stereo playback.

Quote:

The manual for the 95 says you can turn off any speaker, and it will then split the signal for that speaker to any other applicable speaker. I just want to be certain that the player allows you to run a phantom center, so that it splits the center channel signal to the LF and RF speakers.

On playback of multichannel SACDs, you would have to set the SACD Output option to PCM in order for the 95 to split the center channel. On all other formats the 95 will redirect to LF and RF when you set the Center to Off in the Speaker Configuration menu.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page