Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 275 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8221 of 11144 Old 04-06-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 77
1280 X 536 looks like it may be PAL source material. Have you played with the PAL/NTSC settings on the player? That may affect your results.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 11144 Old 04-06-2012, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

1280 X 536 looks like it may be PAL source material. Have you played with the PAL/NTSC settings on the player? That may affect your results.

PAL/NTSC is now set to auto. The other problematic file is 1920x800 and it's also squeezed in the same way. I'll try another PAL/NTSC setting to see if it helps.
Thank you.
post #8223 of 11144 Old 04-06-2012, 07:34 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindra View Post

PAL/NTSC is now set to auto. The other problematic file is 1920x800 and it's also squeezed in the same way. I'll try another PAL/NTSC setting to see if it helps.
Thank you.

I doubt if changing NTSC/PAL will make a difference.

You have tried both WIDE and WIDE/AUTO?

How about an explicit resolution like 1080p vs Source Direct?

Do you have mkvmerge? Creating a new copy with mkvmerge sometimes fixes aspect ratio problems. The FAQ has a link.

-Bill
post #8224 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 02:30 AM

NTSC/PAL made no difference. WIDE/WIDE AUTO made no difference either. Tried Source direct also. I don't have Mkvmerge, but what intrigues me is that the same files play correctly in VLC media player.
post #8225 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 04:07 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

NTSC/PAL made no difference. WIDE/WIDE AUTO made no difference either. Tried Source direct also. I don't have Mkvmerge, but what intrigues me is that the same files play correctly in VLC media player.

This has been reported many times before. MKV has two different sets of pixel dimension attributes and my theory is that both must be set correctly for the OPPO to display the files correctly. VLC must be using some sort of attribute defaulting that the player is not.

We have found that running a problem file through mkvmerge often fixes it. It's a free utility, so just as a diagnostic I encourage you to try it. The package also includes mkvinfo which displays all the file attributes. If mkvmerge does help in this case, then mkvinfo display of the file before and after might be instructive.

-Bill
post #8226 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 06:04 AM

Liked: 14
i played a couple videos via usb that were in pal format and every few minutes there would be a 5 second pause then it would start back up. Also menu navigation was difficult or not impossible.
post #8227 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 07:08 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

i played a couple videos via usb that were in pal format and every few minutes there would be a 5 second pause then it would start back up.

Was this on a thumb drive or a hard drive? Did you try a different device?

Quote:

Also menu navigation was difficult or not impossible.

Because of...? Was this an ISO file?

-Bill
post #8228 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbledo View Post

... Essentially the entire speaker configuration menu is nonfunctional on SACDs in the DSD direct to analog conversion mode.
It should be noted that the human ear is only sensitive to, at most, about a 2 millisecond difference in the time domain. Therefore, if the speaker distances are within a few feet of one another, there should be no noticeable effects under normal listening conditions...

A few feet? I would disagree, but I'm fussy about imaging, having spent a good deal of time and $ to get it right. Good Stereo imaging, for ex. a phantom image of a voice or instrument intentionally mixed, as is often the case, to be precisely in the middle of the front soundstage, is best achieved by situating MLP as 1 corner of an equidistant triangle with the other two points being FR/L speakers. Measurement within inches can make an audible difference with many, if not most, good speakers. If this cannot be done physically, then precise level and distance measurements can make a difference. Again, this is for critical music listening and YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

...Speaker distance adjustment is mainly important if you need precise positioning of sounds in the surround field -- e.g. sounds that should come from a specific spot between a pair of speakers. If the time alignment (distance adjustment) is inaccurate, then the sound will be shifted a bit either side of its intended location on the line between those two speakers. This is definitely worth getting right for movie sound tracks but the same precision is much less important for multi-channel music. Why? Because with Music playback there are no visual cues that might conflict with the sound placement.--Bob

Well put. I agree that precision is not really required for enjoying "Audience" mixes of most MC material. But it bears mentioning that precise placement, level and distance adjustment of all speakers conveys more accurately the artist/mixers' intent, especially for those all-too-rare discs with a specifically and precisely mixed MC track. I'm thinking of masterpieces like Steely Dan "Gaucho" and Sara K. "Hell or High Water".

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #8229 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 07:42 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a 93, just wanted to know if the upgrade to 95 is worth it as I will not be using any analog outputs, nor video processing, all Bitsream and source direct output..
post #8230 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

I have a 93, just wanted to know if the upgrade to 95 is worth it as I will not be using any analog outputs, nor video processing, all Bitsream and source direct output..

Nope. Stick with the 93. No difference in the 95 with your intended usage.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8231 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbledo View Post

It should be noted that the human ear is only sensitive to, at most, about a 2 millisecond difference in the time domain. Therefore, if the speaker distances are within a few feet of one another, there should be no noticeable effects under normal listening conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

A few feet? I would disagree,

I also disagree. In my own system I've been able to clearly discern a difference of a 6" setting difference. It's not always obvious, but particularly where there are reflections present it makes a difference. Perhaps one needs to "learn" to hear it, but it's there. It's most obvious in the L-R channels with 2-ch inputs where comb filtering and phase issues are more critical. In surround and center channels, it's more of an issue of "depth" in the sound field but again it does make a difference.
post #8232 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I also disagree. In my own system I've been able to clearly discern a difference of a 6" setting difference. It's not always obvious, but particularly where there are reflections present it makes a difference. Perhaps one needs to "learn" to hear it, but it's there. It's most obvious in the L-R channels with 2-ch inputs where comb filtering and phase issues are more critical. In surround and center channels, it's more of an issue of "depth" in the sound field but again it does make a difference.

^ +1....... maybe that's why Oppo has given us .25 foot increments in distance settings on the 95.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #8233 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Was this on a thumb drive or a hard drive? Did you try a different device?

Because of...? Was this an ISO file?

-Bill

its on a new WD 1tb drive I use all the time to play audio and video. VLC plays 2 of them fine and media player the other. They are not ISO files, one is mkv and the others Video_TS.
post #8234 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

its on a new WD 1tb drive I use all the time to play audio and video. VLC plays 2 of them fine and media player the other. They are not ISO files, one is mkv and the others Video_TS.

The player doesn't support VIDEO_TS directory structures, so you must be playing the individual VOB files within the directory. There will be a pause when skipping to the next file.

Neither MKV nor VOB have menus on the OPPO. Are you talking about the file browser?

-Bill
post #8235 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

^ +1....... maybe that's why Oppo has given us .25 foot increments in distance settings on the 95.

The only issue here is for people who want to listen to SACD discs using Analog DSD output.

For those folks, they will need to do any speaker time alignment (distance adjustment) external to the player -- e.g., by physically positioning the speakers to be equidistant for example. Analog speaker distance adjustment is disabled, along with all other audio processing in the OPPO, when SACD DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion is engaged. If you are passing this multi-channel Analog audio into an AVR that does speaker distance adjustment for that input, then of course this is a non-issue. Just keep in mind, that this almost certainly means the AVR is re-digitizing that input, then processing it (e.g., for the distance adjustment), then re-converting it BACK to Analog for output -- using the AVR's DACs.

If you set the AVR to multi-channel Analog Direct/Bypass/Pass-through, it almost certainly will NOT be able to do speaker distance adjustment for you.

For every other Analog output situation, including SACD playback via Analog PCM, proper speaker distance settings should of course be established wherever you want that work to be done -- either in the player for multi-channel Analog output (other than SACD Analog DSD), or in the AVR. Just be sure you only do it in one place. If the AVR is doing this work for multi-channel Analog input, then set all speakers equidistant in the OPPO. Any distance will do so long as they are all the same. But of course many AVRs don't even offer speaker distance adjustment when playing their multi-channel Analog input, and pretty much none will offer it when set to Analog Pass-through -- in which case set the correct distances in the OPPO so that it can do the work for that multi-channel Analog output, and avoid use of Analog DSD output -- if you are sensitive to speaker time alignment errors in multi-channel music -- since those settings in the OPPO won't function during SACD Analog DSD output.

For HDMI or S/PDIF output, speaker distance adjustment is always done in the AVR. The distance settings in the OPPO only affect the multi-channel Analog output.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8236 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 01:55 PM

Hi, Im new here so I hope this is the place to ask this question. I am looking to upgrading my 2 channel speaker setup as well as getting a new player by replacing my Meridian 596. It is great but I need more functionality and the oppo 95 from what I have read provides what im looking for here. I know the oppo 95 has a sabre 32 dac and was wondering if the oppo would be a good replacement to my current dac Parasound DAC-1000 and my preamp parasound P/LP-1100? I really like a clean uncolored presentation and from from my headphone setup also using a sabre 32 dac I really enjoy the results. But I am also aware that the implementation of the dac makes a big difference as well. So basically I got an idea of what the sabre 32 dac could sound like, but I am wondering if this will be a good choice to replace my current dac & preamp. Thanks.
post #8237 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 03:05 PM

Do you please know where to find mkvmerge for mac os x? I searched the FAQS as mentioned but couldn't find it. Google takes me to mkvtoolnix for unix. Thank you.
post #8238 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 03:48 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Do you please know where to find mkvmerge for mac os x? I searched the FAQS as mentioned but couldn't find it. Google takes me to mkvtoolnix for unix. Thank you.

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...ds.html#macosx

-Bill
post #8239 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 04:12 PM

Thank you Bill. I just installed MkvToolnix, I have no clue about how that program works and what it's supposed to do! I'll take some time to learn it.
Considering that VLC reads the files fine, It'd be nice if someone at Oppo took notice and implement in a future firmware upgrade whatever VLC does to read these files without having to use additional tools.
post #8240 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 04:20 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Thank you Bill. I just installed MkvToolnix, I have no clue about how that program works and what it's supposed to do! I'll take some time to learn it.

It makes new MKV containers. The simplest use is just to copy an existing MKV file with it, but the new version will have new attributes, which is what we are trying to test here.

Quote:

Considering that VLC reads the files fine, It'd be nice if someone at Oppo took notice and implement in a future firmware upgrade whatever VLC does to read these files without having to use additional tools.

If the mkvmerge copy works, you can provide them with a before and after example which will perfectly illustrate the problem.

-Bill
post #8241 of 11144 Old 04-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Finally came across a disc that won't play...new disc never played.

The Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (2007 SACD - 984550-6, made in E.U.)

Firmware -
Main: BD:9X-60-1125B
Loader: CN0900 8530
Sub: MCU95-08-0218

Player won't access 2.0/MCH or CD layer...this may be the first "bad" disc I've purchased. Anybody else have the issue? Player still playes other discs fine.

Edit: computer won't see redbood layer, two other players could not find cd layer...cd layer played on an old panasonic dvd player. Sounds like an iffy disc.

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #8242 of 11144 Old 04-08-2012, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 164
The Telarc SACD of 1812 Overture arrived, so I added the results to the growing table. It falls right into line with the THX and AIX discs as far as how LFE relates with the mains. And it reinforces the notion that the PentaTone is 5 dB hot in the LFE.

Here is how the booklet describes the use of LFE: >>We monitored the recording with the subwoofer roll-off set to 80 Hz and 8-10 dB higher than the main channels.<< That means the LFE is printed on the disc the same as on regular movie discs -- expecting the playback system to apply 10 dB boost.

OTOH, the booklet also says that if bass management is used, it's best to discard the LFE signal. "The performance of the subwoofer will improve".

On top of that, this recording uses the LFE channel to carry a height signal. So don't discard it after all -- play it overhead!

To calibrate the main channels, hold the mic 3' from each speaker.

This booklet is a schizophrenic mess of (mis)information.

LL
post #8243 of 11144 Old 04-08-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:

The player doesn't support VIDEO_TS directory structures, so you must be playing the individual VOB files within the directory. There will be a pause when skipping to the next file.

Neither MKV nor VOB have menus on the OPPO. Are you talking about the file browser?

-Bill

Hi Bill yes I meant to specify the VOB files.

Via USB:

1) one video i have in mkv plays fine but accessing and using the menu that is part of the vid is difficult or not possible

2) one video i have in vob's actually plays fine with no pauses

3) 3 other videos i have in vob pause periodically

4) AVI's seem to buffer and flow seemlessly...

I need to figure out which formats buffer or not and then consider conversion to mkv (i assume mkv) to play via usb smoothly.
post #8244 of 11144 Old 04-08-2012, 03:00 PM

I think it would be unfortunate if members were to forgo the potential benefits of listening to multi-channel SACDs using DSD direct to analog conversion for the sole reason that their physical speaker placement does not strictly comply with the ideal.

In any event, in most two channel setups, I doubt this would normally be a limiting issue. Stereo buffs should definitely give the DSD direct conversion to analog a try on their own systems. Of course preferences will vary.
post #8245 of 11144 Old 04-08-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Finally came across a disc that won't play...new disc never played.

The Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (2007 SACD - 984550-6, made in E.U.)

Firmware -
Main: BD:9X-60-1125B
Loader: CN0900 8530
Sub: MCU95-08-0218

Player won't access 2.0/MCH or CD layer...this may be the first "bad" disc I've purchased. Anybody else have the issue? Player still playes other discs fine.

I just played the exact same title without incident using firmware 52-0707.
post #8246 of 11144 Old 04-09-2012, 02:27 AM

Liked: 11
I am having a new issue with my Oppo BDP-95, Denon AVR-4310 and WD Elements 2TB hard drives.

When I listen to music files (most are MP4a) files from my ITunes library (saved on 3 WD Elements 2TB hard drives)... I get constant drop-outs throughout the music.

I am using HDMI (HDMI output 2 - set to Audio only "ON")
I also have ppo set to "Advanced in the East Set-Up".
HDMI Audio Out is set to "Bitstream".
"Bitstream" and "DSD" are set to "ON".
"HDCD" is set to "OFF".

The DENON AVR-4310 is a few years old but I was advised by both Oppo and Denon that these were the best settings for my application.

Any ideas?
post #8247 of 11144 Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman7 View Post

I am having a new issue with my Oppo BDP-95, Denon AVR-4310 and WD Elements 2TB hard drives.

When I listen to music files (most are MP4a) files from my ITunes library (saved on 3 WD Elements 2TB hard drives)... I get constant drop-outs throughout the music.

I am using HDMI (HDMI output 2 - set to Audio only "ON")
I also have ppo set to "Advanced in the East Set-Up".
HDMI Audio Out is set to "Bitstream".
"Bitstream" and "DSD" are set to "ON".
"HDCD" is set to "OFF".

The DENON AVR-4310 is a few years old but I was advised by both Oppo and Denon that these were the best settings for my application.

Any ideas?

I would start by double checking the sources and the device.

Do the files play ok on some other device, or with PC software?

What if you place the files on another hard drive, or a thumb drive: does the OPPO like them better there?

-Bill
post #8248 of 11144 Old 04-09-2012, 04:23 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Do you have mkvmerge? Creating a new copy with mkvmerge sometimes fixes aspect ratio problems.

Indeed, in my experience, the Oppo requires the Aspect Ratio setting in MKV files to be accurate. Other MKV players handle this better.

The Aspect Ratio setting can easily be fixed:

- open the MKV file in mkvmerge
- in the tracks window, select the video track and go to the tab "format specific options" below
- select the correct aspect ratio in the list
- start muxing (takes only a few minutes, as there is no re-encoding)
post #8249 of 11144 Old 04-09-2012, 04:31 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornette View Post

Indeed, in my experience, the Oppo requires the Aspect Ratio setting in MKV files to be accurate. Other MKV players handle this better.

The Aspect Ratio setting can easily be fixed:

- open the MKV file in mkvmerge
- in the tracks window, select the video track and go to the tab "format specific options" below
- select the correct aspect ratio in the list
- start muxing (takes only a few minutes, as there is no re-encoding)

mkvmerge also has a header editor (and a command line utility for doing the same thing). Have you ever tried just modifying the attributes in the header rather than remuxing a new file? I'm genuinely curious about this.

-Bill
post #8250 of 11144 Old 04-09-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:

mkvmerge also has a header editor (and a command line utility for doing the same thing). Have you ever tried just modifying the attributes in the header rather than remuxing a new file? I'm genuinely curious about this.

-Bill

The correct aspect ratio is 2.40:1, there is no such ration in mkvmerge, the closest is 2.35, should I use that?
I tried to use the header editor but I can't figure what to modify. Pixel widht and height, aspect ratio type...? What values should I input?
Thank you.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page