Old 04-09-2012, 08:35 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindra View Post

The correct aspect ratio is 2.40:1, there is no such ration in mkvmerge, the closest is 2.35, should I use that?
I tried to use the header editor but I can't figure what to modify. Pixel widht and height, aspect ratio type...? What values should I input?
Thank you.

Before messing with the header attributes, try making a new copy with the default settings. If that works, we can experiment with the header.

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Before messing with the header attributes, try making a new copy with the default settings. If that works, we can experiment with the header.

-Bill

I set the aspect ratio to 2.35 in "format specific options" (since as I said there is no 2.40), this file plays fine! It took about 12 minutes. Would it be faster modifying the header?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 AM

By the way, what are the "default" settings?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to access the DACs in the 95 externally. IOW, if I had a media player with a digital output of say LPCM or bitstreamed DSD, could I input that to the 95 and use its internal ESS Sabre DACs?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_777 View Post

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to access the DACs in the 95 externally. IOW, if I had a media player with a digital output of say LPCM or bitstreamed DSD, could I input that to the 95 and use its internal ESS Sabre DACs?

Not possible although a USB drive can be used for this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 AM

Thanks, that what I thought.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Modwright.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I would start by double checking the sources and the device.

Do the files play ok on some other device, or with PC software?

What if you place the files on another hard drive, or a thumb drive: does the OPPO like them better there?

-Bill

Thank you Bill.

Well, I changed the OPPO BDP-95's 2nd HDMI Deep Color from 36 bit to 30 bit and that seems to have solved it. Maybe the 36 bit Deep Color along with the audio etc was too much for the HDMI lead and my Denon AVR-4310 to handle (hence the drop outs)????

I use the HDMI 1 for picture and the HDMI 2 for audio.

Thank you again.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by starman7 View Post

Thank you Bill.

Well, I changed the OPPO BDP-95's 2nd HDMI Deep Color from 36 bit to 30 bit and that seems to have solved it. Maybe the 36 bit Deep Color along with the audio etc was too much for the HDMI lead and my Denon AVR-4310 to handle (hence the drop outs)????

I use the HDMI 1 for picture and the HDMI 2 for audio.

Thank you again.

Not impossible that a dodgy HDMI cable is to blame here.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Not impossible that a dodgy HDMI cable is to blame here.

Thanks.
It's a reputable make of cable and HDMI 1.4 compliant (apparently). But I'll swap it out and see if it makes a difference.

I assumed HDMI cables either worked or they didn't. And it DOES seem to be working with the Oppo set to output (over HDMI 2) Deep Color at 30 bits rather than 36 bits. Very odd.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 983
^ They work or they don't work at a given bandwidth of signal. 36-bits is a higher bandwidth signal than 30. Indeed your Denon might not even accept 30 (i.e., only either 36 or 24), in which case the 30 setting gets switched to 24 by the HDMI handshake.

If you were getting audio dropouts on HDMI 2 fairly infrequently -- i.e., once every 10 minutes or so -- it was likely that the HDMI connection was failing the copy protection test that gets redone periodically in the background. That forces a retry, and audio is muted while that happens (a couple seconds). That would be a pretty classic symptom of marginal cabling.

Cabling can be marginal simply because there is a poor mechanical fit of plug and socket at either end. Make sure the plug is fully inserted STRAIGHT into the socket with nothing tugging it any any direction (e.g., cable weight). They are just friction fit, and even a small shift will screw things up. Sometimes just removing and replugging is all that's needed to fix a marginal cabling problem.

Also, if you have any daisy-chained cables, adapters or wall-plates in the HDMI path, they alone can be the cause of problems. HDMI is an end to end protocol so you have to check every HDMI cable in the path from source all the way through to the final destination on each HDMI signal path.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 04-09-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 14
i had a problem with HDMI 1 not working when I tried to play the John Adams bluray but hdmi 2 was fine when playing it. It was a Rohs ceritfied one common from AV installers. I swapped it out with an audio quest one i had and it worked fine. I think it might of had something to do with copyright protection for that release not handshaking well with that cable. I believe thats what oppo thought. Anyway swapping the cable should allways be on shortlist of things to try I believe.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman7 View Post

Thanks.
It's a reputable make of cable and HDMI 1.4 compliant (apparently). But I'll swap it out and see if it makes a difference.

I assumed HDMI cables either worked or they didn't. And it DOES seem to be working with the Oppo set to output (over HDMI 2) Deep Color at 30 bits rather than 36 bits. Very odd.

Aside from the other comments, it's good to note that a certain percentage of HDMI cables are just not good enough for high bandwidth use. It makes no difference if they are expensive or cheap, a certain percentage will still fail to perform. Getting cheaper cables, ala Monoprice and Bluejeans, allows you to keep a few spares on hand for just such occasions.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:19 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:

I set the aspect ratio to 2.35 in "format specific options" (since as I said there is no 2.40), this file plays fine! It took about 12 minutes. Would it be faster modifying the header?

Yes, editing the header would be immediate, presuming you know what attributes to set and their proper values. You could even script it with the command line utility.

Before doing that, though: could you get the mkvinfo output for the before and after files and post them here or PM me? The difference between them would show the attributes that need to be set.

Also: where did the file originally come from? What process created it? I ask because it seems that some files have the header values properly populated (for OPPO) and some don't.

Quote:

By the way, what are the "default" settings?

I'm uncertain about that. MKV (or maybe just mkvmerge) uses some strange combination of implicit and explicit attribute values which I found very puzzling when I looked at it.

-Bill
Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Aside from the other comments, it's good to note that a certain percentage of HDMI cables are just not good enough for high bandwidth use. It makes no difference if they are expensive or cheap, a certain percentage will still fail to perform. Getting cheaper cables, ala Monoprice and Bluejeans, allows you to keep a few spares on hand for just such occasions.

Many thanks guys...

It does now seem to be working with Deep Colour set to 30 bits.
I may turn Deep Colour to OFF as I am not really watching much video through the HDMI 2.

Another quirk... (never a dull moment with this player I'm finding )... is that YouTube is now not working.
I tested the connection (which was fine), but then YouTube just seems to "hang" there. I then retested the connection and bam... nothing.
I reset the player and did a full power down reboot.
Connection was fine. Tried YouTube again... but no joy.
Tried the connection test again and bam... another nothing.
Don't get me wrong... I love this player but it seems to have more 'quirks' than all my other kit put together!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

Modwright.

Really?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Finally came across a disc that won't play...new disc never played.

The Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (2007 SACD - 984550-6, made in E.U.)

Firmware -
Main: BD:9X-60-1125B
Loader: CN0900 8530
Sub: MCU95-08-0218

Player won't access 2.0/MCH or CD layer...this may be the first "bad" disc I've purchased. Anybody else have the issue? Player still playes other discs fine.

Edit: computer won't see redbood layer, two other players could not find cd layer...cd layer played on an old panasonic dvd player. Sounds like an iffy disc.

You must have a bad disc. I played it over the weekend with no problems.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Not possible although a USB drive can be used for this.

Another option is via DLNA streaming, but the Oppo interface is kludgy, and it doesn't support DLNA "Rendering" via a separate DLNA Control app. However, I recall somebody previously "hinting" in this thread that Oppo might be working on a custome DLNA Control solution. If so, that could be a real gamechanger.

Re Modwright, Dan has been developing a digital input mod for the BDP-95, but it's been delayed due to some grounding issues. Hopefully he'll get that sorted out soon.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Will the BDP-95 play this uk region free blu ray?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._ya_os_product
Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

+1 in general

+1 for Monoprice

+1 for Bluejeancable

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Will the BDP-95 play this uk region free blu ray?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._ya_os_product

Since its a region free BD, it should play fine on the BDP-95. Just make sure your TV set can handle PAL TV signals and don't forget to set the Oppo video setup "Multi-System" to handle both NTSC and PAL broadcasts....

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Old 04-10-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 51
It does. I used it that way with foobar. It took some tweaking to get it to work, but it's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post

... and it doesn't support DLNA "Rendering" via a separate DLNA Control app.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:34 AM

Good Morning all, as my name states i am new to all of this and i have spent many days reading the huge amounts of useful information on this site and it has helped tremendously but i have yet another entry level question. I apologise if this has been explained before and i dont know if anybody on here will have a similar set-up but i am wondering how to hook up the 5.1 analog outputs on the oppo to my denon 3312 to take adbvantage of 5.1 SACD and the oppos DACS. I am currently using the FR, FL & C preouts to hook up those speakers to an Emotiva XPA-3 if that makes a difference? Right now i simply have it hooked up from the oppos FR & FL to the denons CD input

Thanks in advance
Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuthooked View Post

Right now i simply have it hooked up from the oppos FR & FL to the denons CD input

Thanks in advance

Generally, the stereo inputs on an AVR will result in an A-D-A conversion, so you're not really getting full benefit of the Oppo's DAC. You'd want to use the multi-channel analog inputs on the AVR to get pure analog pass-through. The Denon 3312CI does not appear to have any multi-channel analog inputs, so you're left with using whatever "pure direct" or "analog direct" mode it may have. For 5.1 audio you're left with using HDMI, which of course does not utilize the Oppo DAC.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the bad news rdgrimes That sucks but certainly helps explain! is there a work around for this or would it mean a completely different reciver?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Thanks for the bad news rdgrimes That sucks but certainly helps explain! is there a work around for this or would it mean a completely different reciver?

If you're using the amps in the receiver for some of the channels, you would need to get a different receiver. If you're using the preouts on the receiver to external amps for all 5 channels, you could use a 5.1 or 7.1 switcher between the receiver and amp(s) such as the Zektor MAS7.1.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Unfortunately i am using the denon amps for the surrounds so it looks like i am stuck... I guess i should have done some homework befoe pulling the trigger on the oppo. Im sure i will still enjoy it but i hate not being able to get the most out of what you buy.

Thanks again
Old 04-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Liked: 14
right now i have the onkyo tx nr609 for zones 1 & 2. The oppo 95 is hooked up via hdmi 1 and stereo analog out to the receiver. But I would love to take advanyage of the multichannel analog outputs of the oppo 95. I am willing to get a new reveiver if necessary or buy another amp. I'm really not sure how to set that up so it all works.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Unfortunately i am using the denon amps for the surrounds so it looks like i am stuck... I guess i should have done some homework befoe pulling the trigger on the oppo. Im sure i will still enjoy it but i hate not being able to get the most out of what you buy.

Thanks again

Older Denon's (1909) had ext in for analog that bypassed processing and went straight to the amps. You can use the preouts with audyssey off into a 5 channel amp. Some here have hooked up their oppo directly to a 5 channel amp and used the oppo internal volume control, (You have to be careful to turn the volume down before starting the amp up) basically making the oppo the preamp. (Read more of this thread for specifics)

I use hdmi for external speakers and use the 95's dacs to feed my headphone rig. It really shines there.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks again

You have a pretty decent AVR there. One option is to return the BDP-95 and get a BDP-93, just use HDMI and enjoy all the benefits it offers with a nice HDMI receiver.

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player