Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

re DLNA 95 Comments

my 95 correctly plays 2 ch FLAC from an Olive 4HD, but no cover art

I get cover art on a Denon AVR-A100 playing the same files

is there a setting or toggle to display cover art?

TIA

I use the Asset UPnP v3 server and do all my navigation via directories. I've no cover art, or if I do, it doesn't display. Don't see moving from this methodology until I have a true point and click computer based interface. When that's available, I see big changes to my system including cover art.

Personally, I'd like more info on the Oppo front panel and even more importantly a browser/iphone/Android so I don't have to use a monitor at all just to listen to music.

Styln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 11:44 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

We saved enough using Jeff's audio advise to pay for both audio and video calibrations, and a revisit the next year.

Not uncommon. I save people $1000's all the time. Just yesterday I saved a client $2k. I am working with another where he will probably save $20k or more than the direction he was going. I see so much audio and video gear I a lot of experience of what will give you the best value.

W. Jeff Meier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #813 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 12:49 PM

Liked: 10
Excuse me for an urgent question: I've gathered information that the Oppo BDP-93 needs to be connected with a TV switched on channel to output Highres. DSD / PCM. Otherwise the machine only outputs PCM Stereo. A problem that is caused by design of the HDMI 1.2 and/or the used chipset for the HDCP-Handshake. My former Oppo 83-SE didn`t had this problem.

Can anybody please test his BDP-95 for me if the machine transports the DSD-Multichannel-Signal from SACDs to his amp without a switched on TV on the amp? I need this information because from time to time aside of the analog connection I like the DSP-section of my Yamaha to optimize some live-recordings in DSD.

Otherwise I have to contact Oppo as soon as possible to find out if this problem is fixable via firmware.
post #814 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, my last 95 MCH review on Chris Botti, Live In Boston (BD).

Started at the beginning and got pulled in with Katherine McPhee singing I've Got You Under My Skin. To by honest, it was probably her looks more than the music that hooked me, but whatever The catch phase I use for comparison is when she sings "Don't you know little fool" where the last word soars into the upper registers. It's a unique and intriguing phrase. I compared this with 83SE and heard no significant difference: both sounded excellent and clear.

Next up is Yoyo Ma playing Cinema Paradiso. About half way through Chris puts a mute in his trumpet. This is where I compare the muted vs unmuted sound and also focus on the delicate brush work on the drums in the background. On the 95, I can more clearly hear the effect of the mute (is that a good thing ). The background brush work sounds beautifully detailed on both players.

Final song is Emmanuel with Lucia Micarelli. I key in on two things. First the long sustained draws of the bow. Second, does this song connect to me emotionally. On the first point, yes, there is a bit more detail, where the variations in her vibrato can be heard on the 95 and not the 83SE. Particularly notable during both her opening and closing parts. On the emotional involvement issue: yes, the 95 gave me a chill during this song, just as the 83SE does.

Styln
post #815 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Germany View Post

Excuse me for an urgent question: I've gathered information that the Oppo BDP-93 needs to be connected with a TV switched on channel to output Highres. DSD / PCM. Otherwise the machine only outputs PCM Stereo. A problem that is caused by design of the HDMI 1.2 and/or the used chipset for the HDCP-Handshake. My former Oppo 83-SE didn`t had this problem.

Can anybody please test his BDP-95 for me if the machine transports the DSD-Multichannel-Signal from SACDs to his amp without a switched on TV on the amp? I need this information because from time to time aside of the analog connection I like the DSP-section of my Yamaha to optimize some live-recordings in DSD.

Otherwise I have to contact Oppo as soon as possible to find out if this problem is fixable via firmware.

The 95 doesn't handle this any differently than your former 83se.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #816 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The 95 doesn't handle this any differently than your former 83se.
--Bob

But I've heard about an 93 that has this problem......are there different parts inside handling this issue in comparision with the 95?
post #817 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Germany View Post

But I've heard about an 93 that has this problem......are there different parts inside handling this issue in comparision with the 95?

I suspect you've heard old news -- problems fixed in the current firmware.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #818 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 PM

thx
post #819 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Good taste in music Styln, I'm a big fan of Lucia and her performance with Chris Botti was amazing! She contacted me two years ago to let me know her favorite charity for a Christmas thing, It's Charity Water in case anybody wants to know. I wish she would focus more on her music but I think she is very busy with that HBO show Treme..blahhh
You should check out the Andrea Bocelli Blu-ray as well on your 95, and the Police reunion concert, amazing!!!
post #820 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 08:05 PM

Okay folks, Styln came over tonight to return my 95. He brought his SE to see if what he heard on his system proved consistent on mine. FYI I have Krell and Wilsons which can be painfully detailed.

The bottom line is the sound is very, very similar. The bass on the 95 is a tad bit tighter but not by much. It was very hard to hear any difference. Styln is going to post later but we both laughed at one another trying to decide if we could actually hear a difference. This was in 2 channel mode.

I would not upgrade to the 95 for the 2 channel improvement. The other features provided with the 95 may make it worth it but I purchased it for 2 channel only.
post #821 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Styln,

Thanks for your very detailed comparison between the 95 and the 83SE. It was very helpful for me as I decide on whether to buy the 95, keep my 83SE or buy the 93. One question I have is about Wired on DVD-A. I did a quick google and I'm assuming that when you say DVD-A you are talking about it as a download, is that correct? Wired is one of my favorite Jeff Beck albums and to have a DVD-A (hard copy) would be excellent. I have yet to embrace the whole download idea.

Bill

Correct - all my DVD-A are downloads that I burn using dvd-audiophile. It's the only way to play 24/96+ downloads on the 83 as the streaming interface is limited to 16 bit LPCM and lossless audio formats like FLAC and WAV are not supported. On the 95 you can play them directly (FLAC and WAV are natively supported ) so no need to burn a disc at all.

I use DVD Audiofile as it's the easiest to use - drag, drop, burn, play. DVD Audio Creator is also highly regarded. Here's a good place to start for 83 owners: 24 bit Audio Discs
post #822 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 PM

Does anybody know for certain if this is a factory upgrade, or "new card slot in" that the end user can do himself (like the 93)

I asked on audiocircle, but they weren't certain...

Thanks
post #823 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 08:41 PM

Liked: 13
Nice job. Really appreciate all the effort you have put into this and look forward to your 2CH review (unedited of course).

Under "yes, rainy" Seattle skies, Gill
post #824 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giberson View Post

Okay folks, Styln came over tonight to return my 95. He brought his SE to see if what he heard on his system proved consistent on mine. FYI I have Krell and Wilsons which can be painfully detailed.

The bottom line is the sound is very, very similar. The bass on the 95 is a tad bit tighter but not by much. It was very hard to hear any difference. Styln is going to post later but we both laughed at one another trying to decide if we could actually hear a difference. This was in 2 channel mode.

I would not upgrade to the 95 for the 2 channel improvement. The other features provided with the 95 may make it worth it but I purchased it for 2 channel only.

For 2 channel did you compare RCA stereo output with the XLR stereo output using same type of cable?
post #825 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 PM

Liked: 13
A couple of quick observations on the noise level of the 95. Last night while doing some fine tuning of the SW was standing over by the 95 and heard the fan going. So did a db check with a Radio Shack Digital db meter. Found less than 50 db within 1/2" of the front bottom and RS bottom. 1" from the fan registered 63 db while 6" back was back to less than 50 db. Would never hear it from our listening position some 12' away. If you had it in an open rack right next to your listening position you might find the 95 annoying with the fan on.

Another quick observation concerns running/motor transport noise. If any of you have seen my postings on the 93 forum you know we had issues with noise on any number of discs of all kinds. Thought I'd do a quick check tonight. Spun up Hairspray BR which had been generally quiet a couple of weeks ago as well as Ratatouille BR which was always noisy sometimes from 15' away. Well, tonight all is quiet. Barely audible with ears within inches of both the 95 and the 93!! Wonderful. Maybe the new firmware? Only two discs so far and that's all for now folks as there is life to live, movies to watch and music to listen to.

Under "yep, drippy" Seattle skies, Gill
post #826 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Back at you ss Of course, this is what I hear, and everyone will hear something different. Besides individual likes and preferences, system design is a key factor.

While I have some very high quality components in my system chain, I am not designing for an incredibly detailed sound. When I was playing music and editing tapes, a completely truthful detailed studio monitor sound was my goal. Now, I listen to music for relaxation and stress relief and am going for a more balanced and musical sound.

So when folks read my reviews, keep this in mind. With apologies to ss, I do not even own a pair of headphones anymore.

Styln

Great to read what you want out of your audio system, and that you took the time to explain this. Very helpful indeed.

On a side note, Kal (Kalman Rubinson) is now a believer in what headphones can really do. http://www.stereophile.com/musicinth..._44/index.html

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #827 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 PM

Wow, I step away for a couple of weeks and already 28 pages of discussion!

As far as I know I was the first person to pick up my 95 from Oppo, but due to other obligations I just now unpacked it. It's sounding really great coupled with a good amp and headphones.

BK

post #828 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, here is my detailed stereo listening results comparing my 83SE to Don's 95. This and the MCH review are probably 8 hours of work (yes work) and my best effort at comparing these two fine players. Before we start, for those who already think I'm deaf, daft, or both because I could not hear a huge difference between the 83SE dedicated stereo outs and the FL/FR on the same unit... there is no need for you to read any further.

Dedicated Stereo Outs
Levels matched in the ARC MP1 pre-amp

1) Neil Young, Harvest (HDCD)
Old Man & Alabama
- Incredible detailed guitar work. Wonderful harmonies on the chorus.
-Very nearly the same. Slightly more full/spacious during the refrain on the 83SE.
-Advantage: 83SE

2) Carlos Santana, SuperNatural (CD)
Primavera
-Guitar leads are slightly more present on the 83SE.
-If I didn't know better I swear the 83SE was set hotter than the 95.

3) Rendezvous (CD)
Sway Low & The Mooche
-Wonderful detail on ride cymbal, bass, vibes, etc
-95 sounds just a tad cleaner and more reserved w/all instruments playing

4) Eva Cassidy, Live at Blues Alley (CD)
Cheek To Cheek & Stormy Monday
-No difference: both sound wonderfully open and airy with lots of reverb

5) Steely Dan, Aja (CD)
Black Cow & Aja
-Virtually no difference. Perhaps slightly fuller on the 83SE vs slightly more detailed on the 95.

Summary for CD Dedicated Stereo Outs

Notice on the first 3 comparisons the 83SE was slightly fuller and the 95 slightly reserved. Very consistent. So consistent that It got me to thinking that I should be using just the stereo inputs on my ARC MP1 and not have the 83SE on the stereo inputs and the 95 on the MCH FL/FR inputs, even though there should be no difference. So I moved the 95 to the stereo inputs and the minor difference became even more minor. I'd say the minor differences I heard were at least partially due to differences in my pre-amp. Hope that gives you an idea of how small the differences are for 2CH. Nope, I'm not going back and retest the first three. I'm convinced they sound virtually identical.

MCH FL & FR Outputs
That's right, for the rest of the tests I used the MCH outputs on both decks. Since I can't reliably hear a difference between the dedicated stereo outs, let's compare the MCH FL/FR outputs where there should be a greater difference.

Krause & Plant, Raising Sand (2CH @ 24/96 DVD-A vs FLAC)
Let Your Loss Be Your Lesson Fortune Teller
-95 slightly clearer with more presence

Rendezvous (CD) FL & FR
Decision Point
-Bass is slightly stronger and better defined on the 95
-Slightly more open on the 95

(Moving to single disc back & forth vs dual disc A/B comparison)

SACD Stereo from FL & FR DSD
Willie Nelson, Stardust
Stardust & Georgia
-Very small sound stage: the whole band on the head of a pin
- Willie is so clear on both discs
- 95 is slightly less veiled on vocals

Dire Straights Stereo FL & FR DSD
Far Away
-No difference heard

So the bottom line is the 83SE and the 95 dedicated stereo outs sound virtually the same to me on my system, and on Don's system, and they sound the same to Don on Don's system. Now, with the FL and FR outputs, I thought I heard a small difference swapping discs. But later at Don's we A/B'd the Dire Straights BIA disc on the FL and FR outputs... let me put it this way, I would not bet $1000 that I could tell the difference between the two decks.

Round 3: Tied for stereo reproduction

DLNA 95 Comments

I use Asset UPnP v3 DLNA server. All navigation is via directories
Navigation is pretty much the same as the 83 except...
It remembers the last song you played and starts you there
Something the 83 won't do:
Correctly play 24/96 2CH lossless WAV files
Correctly play 24/96 MCH lossless WAV files
Correctly play 24/96 2CH FLAC files
Correctly play 24/192 2CH FLAC files
Correctly play 24/96 MCH FLAC fies

General 95 Comments

The 95 is marginally better than the 83SE with regards to the sound. In general:
-Both sound excellent and are more similar than different: the Oppo house sound
-The 95 is slightly more detailed and presents a bit drier than the 83SE on MCH
-Improvement is more noticeable with HD on the MCH outputs
-You'll need a system capable of exposing micro dynamics to hear any difference
-The 95 was not fatiguing. I listened to it for many hours on end. Wonderful!
-The 95 is still engaging even with the leaner presentation (clear is addictive)
-The fan either never turned on, or I never heard it
-On the 83SE there is about a 3db delta between MCH SACD vs PCM decode
-On the 95 there is about a 6 db delta between MCH SACD vs PCM decode
-On decode change the 83SE always reverts to the stereo layer, the 95 does not

The 95 operated perfectly during multi-day testing
Son (who doesn't know an Oppo 95 from a LG 330) liked the looks of the 83 better
Wife says if I like it, I should get one - I deserve it
I think they both look pretty much the same (meh) and wish Oppo would class it up to match the rest of the system
Much sturdier and heavier than the 83, but not in the same build quality league as my MF 3DCD.
FF/RW are still an embarrassment
Still no configuration (or config status) w/o a monitor connected
Still no album or titles on the front panel LED display
LED font size is quite a bit smaller than the 83
The 95 tray opened/closed much faster
The 83 turns off 5 seconds faster
From off to 1st note on a DVD-A the 83 was 15 seconds faster
The 95 IR is not as sensitive to the remote as the 83
Both the Oppos had trouble with some songs on some CD-Rs that passed verification on the computer

Should you buy a 95 for the improved stereo sound alone?

If you're looking for a new or upgraded kit, you should absolutely audition this player. Oppo has a 30 day in home trial so worst case it will cost you shipping charges. Hard to imagine it won't be in your top 3 for consideration. If you already own an 83SE, I heard no sonic reason to upgrade. If you 83SE owners still have doubts, suggest you compare the dedicated stereo outs to the FL/FR outs. That is pretty much what you'll hear comparing the 95 FL/FR to the 83 FL/FR. Hear a huge difference? Yes - pull out your wallet, No - look at the new features.

There are other great audio features like direct support for FLAC and WAV lossless. This improves DLNA server interoperability as transcoding these formats to LPCM is no longer required. Streamed files sound every bit as good as disc files. Still, I'm disappointed there are no real ease of use improvements for audio. It's very much the same as the 83 platform. Hopefully, this will improve to make selecting and playing large collections of music point and clickable.

I very much like the 24/96+ lossless support (sounds fantastic), and the unit is very reliable already and sounds truly excellent. As an 83SE owner, though, I'm holding out for ease of use improvements and maybe a more upscale facade.

Styln
post #829 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atodzia View Post

For 2 channel did you compare RCA stereo output with the XLR stereo output using same type of cable?

Yes, we used the RCA outputs. Cables were 3' BJC LC-1s.I now use this same cable throughout my system except to feed the SM-11S1. Here I use BJC XLR cables due to a longer run.

Although the MP1 will accept XLR inputs, the 83 doesn't sport them, so I don't own any. Don does own a pair of XLRs, but we wanted to use the same cables, so we didn't use them.

XLRs from the 95 into the MP1 is a configuration that I did not test.

Styln
post #830 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

On the first problem: I have reported cases to Oppo where changing Setup > Audio Format Setup > SACD Output between DSD and PCM (either way) sometimes does not "take" until you power cycle the player. That could be what is happening to you. No need to do anything fancier than just a normal power cycle in that case. So far I've only seen a problem here upon CHANGING that setting, and even that works correctly, most times, "on the fly". So this extra power cycle, if needed at all, should only be needed once after you change that setting. From then on the setting should be good.

As you know the new players, just like the old, will not use DSD-direct-to-analog conversion (i.e., without the intermediate step of conversion to LPCM) if you have an active HDMI connection to a device that does not, itself, accept HDMI DSD input. In the case of the 93 and the 95 this applies to BOTH HDMI outputs. However pulling the HDMI plug(s) is seldom necessary. In most cases you can get the same result simply by changing the device at the other end of the cable to a different input so that the HDMI connection to it from the Oppo is no longer active. For most devices, turning them OFF also works, but some devices keep their last HDMI input active even while they are "OFF", so for those you need to change them to a different input before turning them OFF.

HDMI plugs and sockets are relatively delicate, so the above is preferable to pulling the HDMI plugs as regular practice.

-------------------------------------------------

On your second problem: The Oppo powers up in RGB video output data format and then changes to whatever format you have specified as it loads your Setup settings. Normally this just shows as an additional handshake during power up. However if you have your display set to ONLY expect YCbCr input then you will get video which is tinted "ghastly green" until the Oppo switches to YCbCr as the power up progresses. It's no more complicated than that the player and display are not yet in agreement on which data format is in use on the cable.

There is no gain in setting your display to only accept YCbCr input data format. That sort of setting is only necessary when using a source device that screws up the handshake to begin with (i.e., sends YCbCr but mistakenly SAYS it is sending RGB).

So the workaround of letting your display accept RGB as well as YCbCr is perfectly OK. It won't make the handshake any slower, etc. Once the player finishes powering up it will stay in the YCbCr setting you have selected.
--Bob

Thanks Bob,
Here the thing, I had set the 95 to do DSD when I first setup the player and yes It was doing fine with DSD, until the other night. I am very accustom to having to play with my BD-83 to get DSD to work. So point being if the DSD problem happens once with the BD-95 there is still a bug. Like the old saying go's "if it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck and looks like a duck then it probably is a duck"

With the second problem, yes I know that was what was causing the problem and that is why I put my display's setting for color space on auto.

I don't know about you but I have never had a BD/HD/DVD player do this.
I should clarify, when I set both the player and display to the same color space.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #831 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Great reviews Styln!
I kinda figured that there wouldn't be much difference between the two in dedicated stereo mode seeing as how the 83SE has 9016s and the 95 has the slightly improved 9018s. I was expecting a little more radical difference coming from the mch outs though. Like you, I think I'll keep on enjoying my 83SE until either money suddenly falls from the sky or a 95 somehow miraculously shows up unexpectedly at my doorstep.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #832 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Great reviews Styln!
I kinda figured that there wouldn't be much difference between the two in dedicated stereo mode seeing as how the 83SE has 9016s and the 95 has the slightly improved 9018s. I was expecting a little more radical difference coming from the mch outs though. Like you, I think I'll keep on enjoying my 83SE until either money suddenly falls from the sky or a 95 somehow miraculously shows up unexpectedly at my doorstep.

Not radical, but there is a consistent difference between the two with HD MCH content, and the 95 is audibly better. From a purely sonic perspective, the more you listen to MCH, the more compelling the upgrade. I'm about 80% stereo and 20% MCH, so I need other inducements to upgrade.

Styln
post #833 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

A couple of quick observations on the noise level of the 95. Last night while doing some fine tuning of the SW was standing over by the 95 and heard the fan going. So did a db check with a Radio Shack Digital db meter. Found less than 50 db within 1/2" of the front bottom and RS bottom. 1" from the fan registered 63 db while 6" back was back to less than 50 db. Would never hear it from our listening position some 12' away. If you had it in an open rack right next to your listening position you might find the 95 annoying with the fan on.

Unfortunately this little "feature" is a HUGE issue for me. I can't believe right on this page is a post with a picture of a 95 on someones desk plugged into a headphone amp. I hope they are closed headphones.

Fan's = noise = computer gear IMHO. Not hifi gear. I can't believe I am seeing this in this product....which is supposed to sell as the audiophile top of the range player..
And the fact that you can't disable it via firmware, that it can randomly come on by itself...well forget it..

As for those who say the fan never comes on, or never will, well you obviously don't live in a part of the world where it gets consistently above the high 30's, even into the 40's (C...not F !)

Appols, but not happy. This alone has turned me off this product...
post #834 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
If you do not want the fan to ever engage, then simply disconnect the fan from the mainboard. Completely at your own risk, but you knew going into the purchase that the player had a fan and potentially is something that will engage. The fan is there to protect your gear and is not there to be an annoyance.
post #835 of 11233 Old 02-13-2011, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't know what amp he is using but he sure is on the right track with those Audeze LCD2 headphones and the BD-95 as a source player. I doubt he will ever hear the fan, and if he has a higher end amp that pairs well he probably hears more detail than most.

I like the HE-6's better but the HE-6's really needs a very powerful amp to drive them. The only headphone amp that I know that will power the HE-6 is the Woo WA5. Most folks have gone to speaker amp to power the HE-6.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #836 of 11233 Old 02-14-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Don't know what amp he is using but he sure is on the right track with those Audeze LCD2 headphones and the BD-95 as a source player. I doubt he will ever hear the fan, and if he has a higher end amp that pairs well he probably hears more detail than most.

I like the HE-6's better but the HE-6's really needs a very powerful amp to drive them. The only headphone amp that I know that will power the HE-6 is the Woo WA5. Most folks have gone to speaker amp to power the HE-6.

ss

The amp is a Cavalli Audio EHHA RevA tube hybrid. Just got it up and running. Seems to pair well with the LCD-2. Plenty of power - might also do well with the HE-6. Detail is not lacking.

The 95 is a few feet from my head. I'm pretty sure the fan came on periodically after about an hour of use. Hardly noticeable at all (with no headphones on!). For me the fan is a total non-issue due to the very subdued noise, unlike the fan on my 83, which is quite annoying.

BK

post #837 of 11233 Old 02-14-2011, 01:34 AM

"The 95 is a few feet from my head. I'm pretty sure the fan came on periodically after about an hour of use. Hardly noticeable at all (with no headphones on!). For me the fan is a total non-issue due to the very subdued noise, unlike the fan on my 83, which is quite annoying."

Sorry. Good hifi, does not have fans. It has heatsinks...

And as a network streamer, it will best be left on all the time.
Also how does anyone know how loud that fan gets, until someone has done this..
Anybody got actual specs? How do I know what the board and firmware does to the fan settings...
Obviously there is some temp feedback loop going on, or the fan would be "on" all the time...

This is nothing but a glorified blu ray player. Not a piece of hi end gear with a blue ray drive in it.

Sure it is no doubt a darn good movie player and it can live in a AV closet with everything else that's noisy...

But to say it is predominantly an audio piece of gear or high end transport, then I'm sorry, you've lost me

I'll be waiting for the player they should have released... An upgraded 93 "SE" version with the new Saber DAC...

Got fan? Then no sale.
post #838 of 11233 Old 02-14-2011, 01:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by wappinghigh View Post

Got fan? Then no sale.

You must have an amazingly low ambient sound level in your home.

I'm sure you'll find something that makes you happy. Aloha!

Calibration Resources:

post #839 of 11233 Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

FF/RW are still an embarrassment

Hi,

In what way ? I suppose you mean for audio (because from the 93's thread I understand that FF/RW for video is greatly improved compared to the 83) ?
I don't understand why DVD/BR players can't have the same FF/RW abilities that CD players had 20 years ago already

So, I guess - please correct me if I am wrong - you cannot:
1) press pause and do a fast FF/RW ?
2) from the beginning of a track, do a RW into the previous track ?
post #840 of 11233 Old 02-14-2011, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_856er View Post

The amp is a Cavalli Audio EHHA RevA tube hybrid. Just got it up and running. Seems to pair well with the LCD-2. Plenty of power - might also do well with the HE-6. Detail is not lacking.

The 95 is a few feet from my head. I'm pretty sure the fan came on periodically after about an hour of use. Hardly noticeable at all (with no headphones on!). For me the fan is a total non-issue due to the very subdued noise, unlike the fan on my 83, which is quite annoying.

BK

Ahh a DIY, nice job,

My guess is the BD-95 will pair well with those headphones. The very nice highs of the 95 should add a nice lift for your LCD2 and the bass impact and speed of the 95 should sound great with the great bass of the LCD2.
You really know how to get the best bang for your buck.
There are some coming over from HeadFi because of the new BD-95 thread on AVS. So please post your impressions here, it probably will take at least 20 hours + of burn-in for the highs of the 95 to click in. Also the 95 may improve the sound-stage of your very good headphones.

My HE-6's are on there way back from China, fang is sending me a new pair replacing my old HE-6's so I am dying to hear how they pair with the BD-95.

Whats the Watts per Ch @ 50 ohm with your amp?

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page