Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 280 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #8371 of 11283 Old 04-17-2012, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks very much, Bob. I think I may end up preferring using the Oppo since I find the PS3 fan can be noisy/distracting. Is VUDU higher quality than Netflix (is there anything else out there of higher quality)? One last question - Do you know if you can activate/associate more than 1 player with a single Netflix account?

- JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

It's actually very straightforward. There's no magic to it, nor any particular technical background you need to have (once you get your player connected to the Internet in the first place).

Using your computer, go to the Netflix web site and sign up for an account that includes "Watch Instantly" streaming. You will now be able to do streaming on any device that includes Netflix client software. That includes both your Oppo and your PS3.

As it turns out, Netflix (which creates the client software) has a newer version of their software running on the PS3, so you might prefer doing your Netflix steaming there.

When you get your player connected to the Internet and start the Netflix app it will show a code on screen that you have to type into your account on the Netflix web site (i.e., using your computer) to "activate" the player -- i.e., to associate the player with the Netflix account you are paying for.

At that point you can select titles to watch. Some will be standard definition. Others will be HD.

Alternatively, you can user your computer to browse Netflix' catalog of titles available for streaming on their web site and add titles to your "Watch Instantly Queue". This is nothing more than a convenient list of titles you are interested in watching. When you run the Netflix app on the player you can see the current list of titles in your Instant Queue and select any of them for playback.

Netflix charges a fixed fee per month for streaming, so you pay the same amount whether you stream a lot of stuff or none at all. Contrast with services like VUDU on the 95 where you pay a rental fee for each title you choose to view, thus the more you view the more it costs. There are no special considerations for use in Canada except that the list of titles Netflix offers does vary by country.

Streaming video quality is not great. Netflix "compresses" their video a lot. But it is fine for casual viewing. Your best bet for Netflix from the 95 is to use HDMI 1 for video with explicit 1080p as your output resolution. Video quality also depends on the speed of your Internet service. This is particularly true if you stream HD titles. If your Intenet service is 6 Megabits per second or faster download speed you are fine. Less than that and you will see lowered quality but it will still work.

Streaming will of course count against any usage limits on your Internet service. So keep track of usage (see your account information at your Internet service provider) until you get a feel for it. This can be a particular problem in Canada since some Canadian Internet providers put very low usage caps on their accounts and charge fees for going over. If that's a problem, the My Account portion of Netflix' web site lets you tell Netflix to limit the bit rate it uses for streaming -- lower quality, but less danger of using up your Internet service cap each month.
--Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8372 of 11283 Old 04-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_alpha View Post

Thanks very much, Bob. I think I may end up preferring using the Oppo since I find the PS3 fan can be noisy/distracting. Is VUDU higher quality than Netflix (is there anything else out there of higher quality)? One last question - Do you know if you can activate/associate more than 1 player with a single Netflix account?

- JD

VUDU is definitely higher quality than Netflix. They use less compression -- which means you also need faster Internet service (and you chew up monthly usage cap faster, too).

If your Internet is fast enough -- e.g., 9Mbps or faster -- you can use their HDX quality streams which are 1080p.

VUDU also offers up to 7.1 channel audio -- as Dolby Digital Plus streams which are the highest bit rate "lossy" streams. Not as good as Dolby TrueHD lossless (as found on Blu-ray discs), but close enough that most folks won't be able to tell the difference.

--------------------------------------

You CAN associate more than one device with a Netflix account (or with VUDU for that matter). I'm not sure what their limit is these days -- it used to be 6 devices. However there are stricter limits as to how many devices can be streaming AT THE SAME TIME. Netflix keeps changing their rules on this, but my understanding is that their current rules are:

1) If your account is set up for streaming ONLY, then you can only have 1 device streaming at a time.

2) If your account is set up for both streaming and disc rental by mail (which costs more), AND if your discs by mail portion allows more than 1 disc out at a time, then you can stream as many devices as the discs out a time limit on the discs by mail portion of your account. E.g., if you can have 2 discs out at a time you can also stream on 2 devices at the same time (out of the possibly larger number of devices you have associated with that account).

Check the details on the Netflix web site to see if they changed the rules yet again this week. ETA: It also would not surprise me to learn that Netflix' rules for Canada are different.

-------------------------------------------------------

ETA: Unless something has changed recently, I don't believe the VUDU service is actually live in Canada yet.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8373 of 11283 Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Thanx for the feedback, guys.

I rarely watch DVDs these days, but I have tons of 'em....

When my 95 arrives today, I'll have both the 83 and 95 in my HT for a comparo (will be sending in the 83 for the audio upgrade next week).

I have been bitstreaming the 83 to my Onkyo Pro 885.
However, as soon as I get some cables, the analogs on the 95 will be used instead of HDMI.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #8374 of 11283 Old 04-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Just to add my 2 cents on this, I still consider the 83 (1080p output with DVD/24 OFF) my "reference" SD-DVD player. HOWEVER, the differences between it and the 93 (using HDMI 1 with 1080p output) are small enough that I now watch all my SD-DVDs on the 93 except when doing testing.

For example, I recently did some testing to see if a particular Blu-ray disc was truly better than the exceptionally good SD-DVD version of that title. It was, but only by a hair. For such testing, I would use the 83 as the SD-DVD reference.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8375 of 11283 Old 04-17-2012, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

VUDU is definitely higher quality than Netflix. They use less compression -- which means you also need faster Internet service (and you chew up monthly usage cap faster, too).

If your Internet is fast enough -- e.g., 9Mbps or faster -- you can use their HDX quality streams which are 1080p.

VUDU also offers up to 7.1 channel audio -- as Dolby Digital Plus streams which are the highest bit rate "lossy" streams. Not as good as Dolby TrueHD lossless (as found on Blu-ray discs), but close enough that most folks won't be able to tell the difference.

ETA: Unless something has changed recently, I don't believe the VUDU service is actually live in Canada yet.
--Bob

No it is not available yet. But I am hoping it will be...one day.
post #8376 of 11283 Old 04-17-2012, 03:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

--------------------------------------

You CAN associate more than one device with a Netflix account (or with VUDU for that matter). I'm not sure what their limit is these days -- it used to be 6 devices. However there are stricter limits as to how many devices can be streaming AT THE SAME TIME. Netflix keeps changing their rules on this, but my understanding is that their current rules are:

1) If your account is set up for streaming ONLY, then you can only have 1 device streaming at a time.

2) If your account is set up for both streaming and disc rental by mail (which costs more), AND if your discs by mail portion allows more than 1 disc out at a time, then you can stream as many devices as the discs out a time limit on the discs by mail portion of your account. E.g., if you can have 2 discs out at a time you can also stream on 2 devices at the same time (out of the possibly larger number of devices you have associated with that account).

Check the details on the Netflix web site to see if they changed the rules yet again this week. ETA: It also would not surprise me to learn that Netflix' rules for Canada are different.

-------------------------------------------------------

--Bob

I personally have a Netflix streaming only account and I have currently 6 netflix enabled devices in use. 2 TVs, 3 blu-rays, and 1 Roku box.

Russell
post #8377 of 11283 Old 04-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh2173 View Post

I personally have a Netflix streaming only account and I have currently 6 netflix enabled devices in use. 2 TVs, 3 blu-rays, and 1 Roku box.

All streaming simultaneously?
--Bob

post #8378 of 11283 Old 04-17-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:

--Bob

Good question, I wondered about, let me check.

Russell
post #8379 of 11283 Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:

--Bob

Yes, the limit is one at any one time. I had two going at one time for a minute, but I got an alert when I tried the 3rd, then the 2nd device stopped as well.

Russell
post #8380 of 11283 Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 PM

^ I can stream Netflix though the 95 at the same time I'm streaming something else on Netflix through the computer. Why is there a difference?
post #8381 of 11283 Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post

^ I can stream Netflix though the 95 at the same time I'm streaming something else on Netflix through the computer. Why is there a difference?

I will have to research this further, as I tried this as well, and I was able to stream on one device and have my computer streaming at the same time, but could not stream more than those two. I can only stream one device at a time not counting my PC, with has unlimited access it seems. Remember you never have to register the PC as a device as you are directly linking to the Netflix website, but also in my original test, I always played the same title. So, I will research this further.

Russell
post #8382 of 11283 Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:

I guess I am tired. Bob, already addressed this in the previous post.

Russell
post #8383 of 11283 Old 04-17-2012, 11:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Watched MI Ghost Protocol on the 95 tonite.
Reference AV on this BD IMO.

Anyway, the 95 performed flawlessly.
Didn't have time to compare to my 83 player....will try to do so tomorrow.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #8384 of 11283 Old 04-18-2012, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

^ Just to add my 2 cents on this, I still consider the 83 (1080p output with DVD/24 OFF) my "reference" SD-DVD player. HOWEVER, the differences between it and the 93 (using HDMI 1 with 1080p output) are small enough that I now watch all my SD-DVDs on the 93 except when doing testing.

For example, I recently did some testing to see if a particular Blu-ray disc was truly better than the exceptionally good SD-DVD version of that title. It was, but only by a hair. For such testing, I would use the 83 as the SD-DVD reference.
--Bob

Nearly is a very subjective adjective. I think its good, but the 83 really shined in dvd upconversion.

At one time there was some discussion on this thread about a fw update to improve dvd upconversion, whatever happened to that?
post #8385 of 11283 Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

I think you are crazy. CRAZY! Then again, I am using a projector configuration which is not the ideal means of evaluating picture quality, as everything from lamp life to sitting position (literally a 5 degree difference in your sitting position will change the perceived contrast and brightness levels) so I will let you "win" this argument. For now.

I bet in a blind test 99.9% of the population (most likely including the crazy ones) will fail to tell the better VQ of the 83 over the 93/95, regardless of SDDVD or BR, unless special test patterns are used for such comparisons. Even if they can tell there is a difference they won't be able to say which is better other than perhaps personal preference.
post #8386 of 11283 Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I can definitely see the difference between the players when using them to de-interlace and scale standard definition source material, but I really have not witnessed any differences in performance when watching Blu-ray media. It is very possible that I just have not trained myself to see HD processing errors (as I have with SD media) or my calibration on the projector is just not sufficient (I plan on replacing the JVC this year with a 4K model so I have not bothered getting it ISF calibrated).
post #8387 of 11283 Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Sony s 790 SA CD player sounds good so far for $249.
post #8388 of 11283 Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
What would really be the difference in the Oppo vs a PS3 as it pertains to audio performance?

Kaboom.
post #8389 of 11283 Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 AM

I recently acquired an OPPO-95. Once networked, I noticed that I could access my eLyric program (from PS-Audio) from my computer. This allowed me access to all of my music on my computer, including FLAC files. Has anyone used this facility? It strikes me as a great way to make my OPPO into a very useful music server, taking advantage of the great DACs on the OPPO.
post #8390 of 11283 Old 04-19-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

What would really be the difference in the Oppo vs a PS3 as it pertains to audio performance?

If you needed to use the analog outputs, most definitely as the PS3 only does stereo.

If you needed to use the player to playback user generated media, such as APE and FLAC, then the BDP-93 would be better as there is more support for user generated media playback.

If you are not concerned about DVD-Audio, and were using the players for physical disc playback, then the performance of the two when using HDMI is fairly similar.
post #8391 of 11283 Old 04-19-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you needed to use the analog outputs, most definitely as the PS3 only does stereo.

If you needed to use the player to playback user generated media, such as APE and FLAC, then the BDP-93 would be better as there is more support for user generated media playback.

If you are not concerned about DVD-Audio, and were using the players for physical disc playback, then the performance of the two when using HDMI is fairly similar.

At this point, compared to the song s 790. Oppo has a better analog and dvd-a. Most people are paying for the analog. Hope they are using it. From reading, streaming is better on sony.
post #8392 of 11283 Old 04-19-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Thank you. Yeah, I'm really only concerned with movie audio over hdmi.

Kaboom.
post #8393 of 11283 Old 04-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have the Sony S590 (the S790 does not stream better) and it does not stream better than my 93. So people with the 95, no worries.
post #8394 of 11283 Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

I have the Sony S590 (the S790 does not stream better) and it does not stream better than my 93. So people with the 95, no worries.

I guess that your opinion is one out of many. My suggestion is to read the Sony S 790.
post #8395 of 11283 Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

I guess that your opinion is one out of many. My suggestion is to read the Sony S 790.

Lets not forget the most important feature to streaming is the supporting cast, i.e a solid fast broadband connection,good wifi or Ethernet connection. I love the streaming from my 95( I have broadband and use the dongle) as I use it daily. Lets not forget as well once it hits the Marvell chip set(is there better?), although its a mere 720p source signal , My big Mitsu/dlp says 1080p and the picture is pristine depending on source. Bottom line streaming will continue to suck for sometime period at least until we get more lanes on the highway. And oh yeah I own a Playstaion 3 as well and still prefer the 95 And heaven forbid if one where to use the Enhancement features from the Marvel chip set which can clean up just about any ill side effects and still maintain optimum picture fidelity.
post #8396 of 11283 Old 04-20-2012, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Lets not forget the most important feature to streaming is the supporting cast, i.e a solid fast broadband connection,good wifi or Ethernet connection. I love the streaming from my 95( I have broadband and use the dongle) as I use it daily. Lets not forget as well once it hits the Marvell chip set(is there better?), although its a mere 720p source signal , My big Mitsu/dlp says 1080p and the picture is pristine depending on source. Bottom line streaming will continue to suck for sometime period at least until we get more lanes on the highway. And oh yeah I own a Playstaion 3 as well and still prefer the 95 And heaven forbid if one where to use the Enhancement features from the Marvel chip set which can clean up just about any ill side effects and still maintain optimum picture fidelity.

The Marvell chip is in played during streaming?
post #8397 of 11283 Old 04-20-2012, 05:32 AM

^^ What is the "Enhancement " feature?
post #8398 of 11283 Old 04-20-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^ What is the "Enhancement " feature?

My question to the above post.
post #8399 of 11283 Old 04-20-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

The Marvell chip is in played during streaming?

Yuup! Although once Netflix is engaged you cant go into settings to futher adjust the picture as it uses what you've already set. As for enhancement features maybe "picture enhancements" would be a better term, I use the default settings for reference playback and color,contrast( e), sharpness and noise reduction to tailor the picture when necessary, these are located at the bottom of the regular video settings for hdmi 1
post #8400 of 11283 Old 04-20-2012, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I love playing from USB via the oppo (at least til i find the right newtorked server/drive i can hook up into my rack and transfer files over to it from my computer easily via an ethernet connection). Right now i transfer to remote drive, walk over and plug it in. Actually that part i dont love.

Most of my files are in Flac which is the standard for storing lossless audio. It is way too time consuming to transfer the flac files to wave and also the files sizes are way too big in wave format compared to Flac. Oppo advertised that the player plays Flac, which technically it does. But Flac files dont buffer when going from one to another. One Flac file is not practical or realistic since music for a show etc is numerous Flac files. The brief pauses between the tracks is annoying and diminshes the beauty and listening experience of the player being able to play Flac files (though none of this is mentioned in the mkting materials by oppo and I didnt realize that when reading the mkting materials).

My question is, do you think that some day the technology will be built in where Flac files will buffer and not pause? This is such a big deal I would think they would want to do it. I just dont understand the hurdles technical or otherwsie with incorporating this.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page