Forum Jump: 

post #8431 of 11147 Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

No, this sounds like a problem with your player. OPPO may ask you to do a reinstall of the firmware and a reset of the player "just in case", but failing that the player will likely need service.

Since the problem is happening on Analog output, one possibility is that you are hearing clipping distortion due to the output voltage of the player being higher than your preamp can tolerate. If you are using positive valued speaker volume trims in the OPPO this becomes more likely.

To test this, set the OPPO to Volume = Variable, play one of your problem tracks, and lower the output volume of the OPPO a lot using the Volume +/- buttons on the upper left of the remote.

Also double check that you are cabled to the correct output sockets in the player and input sockets in the preamp. Since the problem is happening with 7.1 content, pay particular attention to the two REAR channel cables.
--Bob

Bob, thanks much for the reply. I will call OPPO and also try what you suggest. However, understand that 7.1 analog input is fine with SACDs, BD concerts and BD DD and DD-TrueHD (although the player did not recognize DD-TrueHD, only DD, on Batman Begins). The problem seems only to occur on BD DTS-HD playback. The pre/pro is a Sunfire TGP5, which is a pretty good mainstream unit. All of this makes me doubt it's an output voltage problem, but I will try your good suggestions nonetheless. Much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8432 of 11147 Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
^ It wouldn't surprise me if the DTS-HD MA track you are trying has higher dynamic range than the other tracks, which means higher voltage output.

Anyway, it's a simple enough thing to try while waiting to reach OPPO.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8433 of 11147 Old 04-22-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post

However, understand that 7.1 analog input is fine with SACDs, BD concerts and BD DD and DD-TrueHD.

They are fine with SACDs and DD, but they do not employ the rear outputs, they are limited to 5.1

Quote:

The problem seems only to occur on BD DTS-HD playback.

If you have any DVDs with a DTS track, give them a try.

Quote:

^ It wouldn't surprise me if the DTS-HD MA track you are trying has higher dynamic range than the other tracks, which means higher voltage output.

It may be ~4dB higher than TrueHD if Dialnorm was used. But it will be no higher than regular DTS.

I was going to suggest activating secondary audio, but I remembered that Bob confirmed it will still use the lossless track rather than the lossy core, so it would not test anything.
post #8434 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I'm talking about how the tracks are mixed, not how the encoding works. In my unscientific sample, studios picking DTS-HD MA like to mix things louder.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8435 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

jeffkad,
Two more things you can try to see if your problem is limited to 7.1 tracks.

Disconnect the Left Rear and Right Rear Analog outputs at the back of the OPPO and play one of your problem tracks. See if the problem goes away.

If so, now move the Left Side and Right Side INPUTS at your pre-amp to its Left Rear and Right Rear inputs. Play the track again. Does the problem come back? If there was no problem above, but there is a problem now, then that says the problem is in the Rear channels in your pre-amp.

To confirm, now run Left Rear and Right Rear from the OPPO to the Left Side and Right Side inputs of your pre-amp. Leave the Rear Inputs of the pre-amp empty. Is there no problem? If so, then the Rear outputs of the OPPO are OK. Move those back to the Rear Inputs of your pre-amp. Does the problem return? If so, then again that would mean the problem is in the Rear channels of your pre-amp.

I'm focussing on the Rear channels above because the tracks that are working OK for you are 5.1 tracks. Of course if the problem is limited to the Rears, all we've done above is show the OPPO is OK, as well as the cables to the pre-amp. We haven't actually isolated the problem to the pre-amp yet. If there was a problem in the Rear channels power amp, or in the Rear speakers themselves, you'd get the same results.

If the check above doesn't isolate the problem to either the OPPO's Rear outputs or the pre-amp's Rear channels, then you can do similar tests with the remaining inputs and outputs to see if the problem is limited to just some channels or is present across the board.
--Bob

post #8436 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It is very unlikely that the USB port on the Qnap will behave in that way. I have an older Qnap (ts-209 pro). The USB on mine can be used in a few ways, but none of which is mounting the drives in the bays at external storage for access by other devices.

Scanning the 1079 page, I'm not seeing anything to suggest that one will work any better. The USB on those is typically for backing up data on the qnap to another hard drive, or for daisy chaining other drives.

Call Qnap for a final answer - but I would start looking at other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

Does anyone know if something like the QNAP TS-1079 Pro would be a quality option for plugging into the 95 via usb to play music & video? I am trying to move to a networked device with USB in my rack that I can access anywhere and also play via usb on the 95. I wonder what other people are doing?? thanks

post #8437 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post

It is very unlikely that the USB port on the Qnap will behave in that way. I have an older Qnap (ts-209 pro). The USB on mine can be used in a few ways, but none of which is mounting the drives in the bays at external storage for access by other devices.

Scanning the 1079 page, I'm not seeing anything to suggest that one will work any better. The USB on those is typically for backing up data on the qnap to another hard drive, or for daisy chaining other drives.

Call Qnap for a final answer - but I would start looking at other options.

Hey thanks. Yes I need a networked drive that can hold many terabytes and can also plug it into the USB port on the oppo for playback. Temporary soution would be a 1 or 2 tb drive but the final solution really is 10-20 tb networked component that can also plug into USB for playback. I suppose I could look for a nas unit that can plug via HDMI into receiver but then I wouldnt be using oppo dacs. Im getting confused again....thanks
post #8438 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

What you are describing is rare at best, and may not exist. If you find something, please be sure to report back here.

What is the primary reason you are aiming for USB versus a media server?

This discussion is a little dated, but might shed some light. This one is a little more recent - see post #8.

Quote:

Hey thanks. Yes I need a networked drive that can hold many terabytes and can also plug it into the USB port on the oppo for playback. Temporary soution would be a 1 or 2 tb drive but the final solution really is 10-20 tb networked component that can also plug into USB for playback. I suppose I could look for a nas unit that can plug via HDMI into receiver but then I wouldnt be using oppo dacs. Im getting confused again....thanks

post #8439 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

My question is, do you think that some day the technology will be built in where Flac files will buffer and not pause? This is such a big deal I would think they would want to do it. I just dont understand the hurdles technical or otherwsie with incorporating this.

Gapless playback would be great, but it appears unlikely to be implemented in this generation of Oppo player since it's a feature that has been requested from the introduction of the 93/95. Interestingly, gapless playback doesn't seem to be widely implemented in other network streamers/media players which is surprising since I would think it would be a highly valued feature. Who wants to hear pauses when playing recordings such as Dark Side of the Moon or Abbey Road where none exist? When I had an HTPC in my setup (pre-Oppo), it was easy to have gapless playback using software such as Foobar.

As a workaround, for recordings where gapless playback is especially critical, I'll rip a single per-disc FLAC file, but then of course, you don't have track info, or navigation control. It's also one of the primary reasons I've kept the December firmware so I can have ISO playback. I have a large DVD-A collection, and I can have gapless playback using ISOs that I can't if the tracks are ripped to individual FLAC files. With ISOs, I can also retain whatever track info is contained on the disc as well as navigation control and have the ability access bonus material on the DVD-A. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything comparable for ripping CD's to FLAC since the Oppo doesn't recognize cuesheets.
post #8440 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

Gapless playback would be great, but it appears unlikely to be implemented in this generation of Oppo player since it's a feature that has been requested from the introduction of the 93/95. Interestingly, gapless playback doesn't seem to be widely implemented in other network streamers/media players which is surprising since I would think it would be a highly valued feature. Who wants to hear pauses when playing recordings where none exist? When I had an HTPC in my setup (pre-Oppo), it was easy to have gapless playback using software such as Foobar.

As a workaround, for recordings where gapless playback is especially critical, I'll rip a single per-disc FLAC file, but then of course, you don't have track info, or navigation control. It's also one of the primary reasons I've kept the December firmware so I can have ISO playback. I have a large DVD-A collection, and I can have gapless playback using ISOs that I can't if the tracks are ripped to individual FLAC files. With ISOs, I can also retain whatever track info is contained on the disc as well as navigation control and have the ability access bonus material on the DVD-A. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything comparable for ripping CD's to FLAC since the Oppo doesn't recognize cuesheets.

oh man removing iso is such a bumber. how do i reverse the update? i might try to find another one and buy it.
post #8441 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:

What you are describing is rare at best, and may not exist. If you find something, please be sure to report back here.

What is the primary reason you are aiming for USB versus a media server?

This discussion is a little dated, but might shed some light. This one is a little more recent - see post #8.

Ive been loading up a 1tb wd and carrying it over to rack and pluggin in usb on oppo. it sounds better than when i play from computer to my receiver. I like using the oppo for this. But i really want a networked storage device that i can access from anywhere and also play thru the oppo usb or maybe my receiver if oppo playback is a no go.
post #8442 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

oh man removing iso is such a bumber. how do i reverse the update? i might try to find another one and buy it.

Unfortunately, you can't revert the firmware, at least without some type of hack which has been hinted at but shouldn't be discussed here. There have been reports of some units still shipping from Amazon with old firmware, but there would be no guarantee at this point. My backup 93 with December firmware is safely stored in my closet.
post #8443 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 AM

very bad decision by oppo to remove such critical functionality. If they frimware update with Flac gapless playback then I will forgive. Otherwise its not looking good going forward as I look to buy more units for diff rooms and as gifts.
post #8444 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 10:59 AM

Liked: 10
Does anyone use a NAS for streaming MKV without any problems? At the moment i have a Drobo FS which is getting moved on to make way for another manufacturer. Thinking about Synology 411/QNAP 419/459 etc but the more i read into it the more i find out that there basically isn't any NAS capable of streaming 1080p MKV without stuttering issues.

Obviously one of the main features of the 95 i want to take advantage of is streaming from NAS for both audio & video. Can anyone recommend a working solution? (NAS needs to be 4-5 bay for 2TB drives). Preferably one box?

Can't believe there isn't gapless playback! Pretty much ruins some albums, one being previously mentioned DSOTM.

One issue i've noticed is sometimes (quite often) i'll need to press the button twice for something to happen as if the remote-player connection goes to sleep. Is this common?
post #8445 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug2507 View Post

Does anyone use a NAS for streaming MKV without any problems? At the moment i have a Drobo FS which is getting moved on to make way for another manufacturer. Thinking about Synology 411/QNAP 419/459 etc but the more i read into it the more i find out that there basically isn't any NAS capable of streaming 1080p MKV without stuttering issues.

Obviously one of the main features of the 95 i want to take advantage of is streaming from NAS for both audio & video. Can anyone recommend a working solution? (NAS needs to be 4-5 bay for 2TB drives). Preferably one box?

I looked at the drobo fs but it doesnt have usb but is networked. I have a drobo s which has usb but is not networked. When i finally settle this the quality of my life will increase dramatically. I like hard connections too not interested in streaming or wireless unless there is no other choice. I have speaker cable and cat 5 running everywhere
post #8446 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 AM

Yeah, USB just isn't an option as i need something to sit on my network. I'm not very network savvy so not sure of all the options but i don't want to end up having to buy a server to run along side the NAS just so i can play mkv/flac without issue. There must be a one box solution somewhere!
post #8447 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Why do you want USB versus a NAS with built-in media server capability (any Qnap, for instance)? I run Twonky on my Qnap and I can access all of my music and video without moving an inch. The only thing I can't do is play ISO's over the network. That is USB only, assuming one has the right firmware.

Quote:

Ive been loading up a 1tb wd and carrying it over to rack and pluggin in usb on oppo. it sounds better than when i play from computer to my receiver. I like using the oppo for this. But i really want a networked storage device that i can access from anywhere and also play thru the oppo usb or maybe my receiver if oppo playback is a no go.

post #8448 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Why do you want USB versus a NAS with built-in media server capability (any Qnap, for instance)? I run Twonky on my Qnap and I can access all of my music and video without moving an inch. The only thing I can't do is play ISO's over the network. That is USB only, assuming one has the right firmware.

thats probably what i need to do and sounds like a decent solution. Originally i was all happy about playing everything thru the oppo cause it sounded better than when i played computer to receiver directly via hdmi and media monkey or foobar. Even with the appropriate settings and plugins installed to make sure data was transfering properly the oppo sounds better. How is your qnap hooked up? is it conneced directly to your receiver or are you streaming?
post #8449 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

What I am proposing will still be playing through you Oppo.

I have my Qnap in my office, connected to my router. My Oppo is in the living room, hard wired to the router as well.

Twonkymedia is on the Qnap by default. I have mine configured to look for media in the "Qmultimedia" folder on my server. Qmultimedia is one of the default folders created when setting up the Qnap.

In my Qmultimedia folder I have two subfolders - Music and Video. I set Twonky to look for music in one folder and Video in the other. It w can be configured to look for either type of media anywhere, but this is simpler for me and the way I organize my files.

The Oppo sees the server, so I just browse the folders and play what I want. The browsing is pretty much the same as it would be with a USB drive. It is possible to browse by meta-tag: genre, conductor, etc., but I prefer to browse by folder structure (and my files are not all tagged the same, as they were ripped over years with various software).

In the end, you can use the Oppo DAC's, and the Oppo's wide support of various audio and video formats.

Of course you can also use foobar as your media server and still access with the Oppo. You need not have a NAS. Just a media server software - on your PC is fine. I had my NAS long before the Oppo - and it's always there and always on, so it is better for the job than my laptop.

Quote:

thats probably what i need to do and sounds like a decent solution. Originally i was all happy about playing everything thru the oppo cause it sounded better than when i played computer to receiver directly via hdmi and media monkey or foobar. Even with the appropriate settings and plugins installed to make sure data was transfering properly the oppo sounds better. How is your qnap hooked up? is it conneced directly to your receiver or are you streaming?

post #8450 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 01:03 PM

So do mkv's play no problem then for you? Seems the more i read into it the more problems people are having due to the NAS not having a beefy enough processor onboard. Although i don't fully understand that as i thought the NAS would just supply the mkv to the Oppo and the oppo would do all the work from there.
post #8451 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

very bad decision by oppo to remove such critical functionality.

Oppo was forced to remove the unofficial and undocumented .ISO "feature" from it's players by the movie industry who control BD licensing. You are directing your displeasure in the wrong direction if you have any hope of accomplishing anything with it.

Quote:

Otherwise its not looking good going forward as I look to buy more units for diff rooms and as gifts.

If you find what you're looking for else where please let us know.
post #8452 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

So do mkv's play no problem then for you? Seems the more i read into it the more problems people are having due to the NAS not having a beefy enough processor onboard. Although i don't fully understand that as i thought the NAS would just supply the mkv to the Oppo and the oppo would do all the work from there.

As long as all transcoding is disabled, the NAS will not be doing any processing. It is straight passthrough to the player over Ethernet or Wireless.
post #8453 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:

What I am proposing will still be playing through you Oppo.

I have my Qnap in my office, connected to my router. My Oppo is in the living room, hard wired to the router as well.

Twonkymedia is on the Qnap by default. I have mine configured to look for media in the "Qmultimedia" folder on my server. Qmultimedia is one of the default folders created when setting up the Qnap.

In my Qmultimedia folder I have two subfolders - Music and Video. I set Twonky to look for music in one folder and Video in the other. It w can be configured to look for either type of media anywhere, but this is simpler for me and the way I organize my files.

The Oppo sees the server, so I just browse the folders and play what I want. The browsing is pretty much the same as it would be with a USB drive. It is possible to browse by meta-tag: genre, conductor, etc., but I prefer to browse by folder structure (and my files are not all tagged the same, as they were ripped over years with various software).

In the end, you can use the Oppo DAC's, and the Oppo's wide support of various audio and video formats.

Of course you can also use foobar as your media server and still access with the Oppo. You need not have a NAS. Just a media server software - on your PC is fine. I had my NAS long before the Oppo - and it's always there and always on, so it is better for the job than my laptop.

that seems like a great setup. Oppo and server see each other and both are connected to the router. Is that a DLNA setup? How do you keep outsiders from seeing the server and the Oppo?
post #8454 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

jeffkad,
Two more things you can try to see if your problem is limited to 7.1 tracks.
--Bob

Bob, Roger, thanks for all the help. The unit is going back to OPPO for repair. Isolated the problem to 7.1 downmix mode. Problem does not exist in 5.1 channel downmix mode. Tech mentioned something above my feeble technically challenged head. Oh well. Thanks again...
post #8455 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

As long as all transcoding is disabled, the NAS will not be doing any processing. It is straight passthrough to the player over Ethernet or Wireless.

Ah right, i see. Is that something that is selectable through the NAS's app's?
post #8456 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 03:00 PM

I currently have my drobo connected to my laptop. The Oppo sees my laptop but can only access files on the laptop. It is not able to access files on the Drobo. The Drobo is attached to my laptop via usb. So much for that solution
post #8457 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

It should be. Most servers are configurable, even if they are running on the NAS, that allows you to set parameters such as which files/are not transcoded.
post #8458 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes - it is DLNA. I think a lot of people on here have a similar configuration. Qnap is one of many options. Radynas, buffalo, etc.

I'd recommend using your router's firewall. I have a somewhat more complicated method, but only because I want to be able to remotely tell my Twonky to rescan content directories.

Quote:

that seems like a great setup. Oppo and server see each other and both are connected to the router. Is that a DLNA setup? How do you keep outsiders from seeing the server and the Oppo?

post #8459 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have Twonky running on a WD NAS and the configuration is accessed through the WD software for the drive, although it's buried down several menu layers. I had to go to WD's support site to find how to access it.

The version of Twonky Server running on my pc is easier to use and can be updated much easier so I use it even for the files residing on my WD NAS.
post #8460 of 11147 Old 04-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post

Bob, Roger, thanks for all the help. The unit is going back to OPPO for repair. Isolated the problem to 7.1 downmix mode. Problem does not exist in 5.1 channel downmix mode. Tech mentioned something above my feeble technically challenged head. Oh well. Thanks again...

I'm not surprised the unit needs service based on what you've reported here. I think you'll be quite pleased with how fast OPPO tech support can turn it around and get it back to you.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page