post #8521 of 11152 Old 04-26-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapser View Post

I've decided to keep the Oppo 95 and upgrade my sound system. I will give the Bose system to a relative.

I think you may want to give that idea further thought. The 95 does not have any video features that are not in the 93. As for audio, the 93 and 95 are identical doing HDMI digital audio. Most of the people who buy the 95 have very expensive analog electronics that they do not want to replace. You aren't in that situation, so it makes sense to exchange the 95 for the 93. Based on what you've written, there is zero advantage in keeping the 95.

Given the type of speaker cables used on your Bose, you may not be able to easily use the Bose speakers with a new AVR. From what I could see in the V20 manual, the speaker wire seemed to have some type of Bose terminator on each end.

Tip: For HDMI cables check out "monoprice" which is linked at the top of each page here at AVS. Go with their 28 AWG high speed HDMI cables like those listed at the link below. Monster cables provide nothing extre to justify their price.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10240
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8522 of 11152 Old 04-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

The fan on the Oppo BDP-95 is the loudest noise in our listening room. Not that it's all that loud, but it's the loudest in a quiet room.

I'd like to make it stop making so much noise, but haven't come up with a good solution yet.

I'm toying with the idea of removing the fan entirely, gluing heatpipe pickups to the CPU and whatever else needs to be cooled, and running the pipes out the fan hole to a massive sink. Heat would definitely be conducted out of the chassis, but I'm worried that general air movement cools everything, compared to just cooling particular components. I'm also not sure what other components to cool other than the CPU.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? ("Don't do it." isn't a thought: that's just a reaction.)

http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Oppo_95_mods.html
post #8523 of 11152 Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I think you may want to give that idea further thought. The 95 does not have any video features that are not in the 93. As for audio, the 93 and 95 are identical doing HDMI digital audio. Most of the people who buy the 95 have very expensive analog electronics that they do not want to replace. You aren't in that situation, so it makes sense to exchange the 95 for the 93. Based on what you've written, there is zero advantage in keeping the 95.

Given the type of speaker cables used on your Bose, you may not be able to easily use the Bose speakers with a new AVR. From what I could see in the V20 manual, the speaker wire seemed to have some type of Bose terminator on each end.

Tip: For HDMI cables check out "monoprice" which is linked at the top of each page here at AVS. Go with their 28 AWG high speed HDMI cables like those listed at the link below. Monster cables provide nothing extre to justify their price.

Rather than stick with the "Bose", he can as stated upgrade his system with an AVR able to take multi-channel analog input to fully enjoy the Oppo 95. Recommending him to exchange 95 for 93 may cost less but it is NOT the best audio solution for him. If cost matters, even the 93 is overkill for Bose.
post #8524 of 11152 Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

I'm going to give it a shot. I just wish I knew what components to focus on other than the CPU and (probably) the video chip. I may rent an IR camera to look for hot spots. Shame Oppo hasn't already dealt with this. The fan *is* noisy, in a proper listening room. I've sent them a suggestion to deal with it in a future version, and the replied that it was sent to engineering, which is nice.

Ours is second from the top on a Metro rack with lots of clearance, but the bottom of the rack is occupied by an Anthem P5, which outputs a lot of heat. (Google for martin logan system 420.)

Excellent CLX system!

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #8525 of 11152 Old 04-26-2012, 02:40 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Here's a question...at what price point in terms of all the other equipment (receiver/speakers) would you consider it sensible to have the Oppo 95?

I want to have a system that enables me to experience the high resolution audio available on Blu-ray movies. Now that I know my Bose cannot do that I'm interested in switching for that reason. I also have never like the sound of music CD's on my Bose so there's another reason to upgrade.

If we need to switch to one of the other forums to continue this discussion please let me know and I will pick it up there.
post #8526 of 11152 Old 04-26-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Here's a question...at what price point in terms of all the other equipment (receiver/speakers) would you consider it sensible to have the Oppo 95?

OPPO 95 owners are more qualified to answer that question, but I think it would be at least a few thousand dollars. If you like movies that are only available on DVD and not Blu-ray, I would go with the OPPO-93 and a Denon or Onkyo AVR in the $400 to $800 range and stick with HDMI. If you care most for Blu-ray movies (not 3D), I would get a Panasonic BD player in the $100 to $200 range with a single HDMI output. There are a wide range of types of speakers that you could look at depending on your space and decor. Almost any speakers will sound like an improvement. You'll need to spend time in the audio/AVR/player threads.

You can probably return the 95 for credit while you make up your mind about how deep you want to get into better sound and video.
post #8527 of 11152 Old 04-26-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 77
It is not a price point that determines when it is sensible to have the 95. It really depends on what kind of equipment you either have or plan on having. The 95 is really only intended for those whose systems make use of primarily or totally analog audio. These are either people with older home theater systems that didn't support HDMI or people with new equipment that is primarily audio rather than home theater oriented. These systems could be sub-$1000 or cost megabucks so it is not the system price that determines the need for a 95.

For the average person setting up a home theater system and either having or planning to buy a receiver that has HDMI inputs/output(s) the 93 is the choice they should make. Any decent new(er) AVR will support all the high resolution formats and you merely need to connect HDMI out from the Oppo 93 to the AVR and let the AVR do the audio decoding. The 93 does have built-in decoding for the high resolution formats (and it is pretty good) so you can choose to let the 93 decode even with a new receiver and decide which you like better. The 93's decoding will probably be a lot better than a lot of the inexpensive AVRs out there.

From everything you have said about the direction you want to take with replacing your Bose system, the 93 and a new, modern AVR (with HDMI and other newer features) and new speakers is your logical direction. The 95 would offer you no major improvements for the $500 difference with such a system IMO.

post #8528 of 11152 Old 04-26-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

It is not a price point that determines when it is sensible to have the 95. It really depends on what kind of equipment you either have or plan on having. The 95 is really only intended for those whose systems make use of primarily or totally analog audio. These are either people with older home theater systems that didn't support HDMI or people with new equipment that is primarily audio rather than home theater oriented. These systems could be sub-$1000 or cost megabucks so it is not the system price that determines the need for a 95.

For the average person setting up a home theater system and either having or planning to buy a receiver that has HDMI inputs/output(s) the 93 is the choice they should make. Any decent new(er) AVR will support all the high resolution formats and you merely need to connect HDMI out from the Oppo 93 to the AVR and let the AVR do the audio decoding. The 93 does have built-in decoding for the high resolution formats (and it is pretty good) so you can choose to let the 93 decode even with a new receiver and decide which you like better. The 93's decoding will probably be a lot better than a lot of the inexpensive AVRs out there.

From everything you have said about the direction you want to take with replacing your Bose system, the 93 and a new, modern AVR (with HDMI and other newer features) and new speakers is your logical direction. The 95 would offer you no major improvements for the $500 difference with such a system IMO.

Thanks...I've had at least 4 people tell me the 95 is overkill. I will return it and go with the 93.
post #8529 of 11152 Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Is this possible?

I've got a WinXp in my office, connected to the house via GigE router & switch. It's got 700GB of music ripped in hi-def Flac. Currently has serviio -- but it seems to hit a max number of files and then balk (around 600GB worth).

In the LR is an Pioneer SC-57. Oppo 95, samsung-8000. Right now, playing a Flac file involves all three being on, accessing home, network, serviio on the Oppo via the gui on the TV.

In a perfect world, I want to access the WinXp music collection via a browser view (or via an iPad, or Android phone) for PLEX or XBMC like interface as the file tree is a pain -- but I'd prefer to not do a HTPC as I'd like to drive through the Oppo.

** If that isn't possible, does anyone know if you can engage a screensaver on the Oppo so that it isn't left on -- I worry about burn on the LCD of the TV when playing music, etc.
post #8530 of 11152 Old 04-26-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Thanks...I've had at least 4 people tell me the 95 is overkill. I will return it and go with the 93.

I'll be person #5. JazzGuyy hit the nail on the head.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #8531 of 11152 Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeleriumTremens View Post

Right now, playing a Flac file involves all three being on, accessing home, network, serviio on the Oppo via the gui on the TV.

In a perfect world, I want to access the WinXp music collection via a browser view (or via an iPad, or Android phone) for PLEX or XBMC like interface as the file tree is a pain -- but I'd prefer to not do a HTPC as I'd like to drive through the Oppo.

Unfortunately the player does not support bi-directional feedback so you can't use something like an iOS/Android device control the player, and the player lacks DLNA Rendering so you can't push data to the player. You must pull data using the player and its OSD from your server.

Quote:

** If that isn't possible, does anyone know if you can engage a screensaver on the Oppo so that it isn't left on -- I worry about burn on the LCD of the TV when playing music, etc.

Press the PURE AUDIO button when you no longer want to see what is on the screen.

Unfortunately there is no set-by-time screensaver. The screensaver was designed to only engage if media playback had been stopped or paused for a given amount of time.
post #8532 of 11152 Old 04-26-2012, 07:12 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Well...I had a common "rohs certified" hdmi going from hdmi 1 on the Oppo to the AVR and it wouldnt play the John Adams bluray. But when I plugged it into HDMI 2 it played fine. That cable had worked fine up until that point with the discs I had tried to play.

I had a more expensive Audio Quest HDMI cable laying around and I plugged that into HDMI 1 and the John Adams Bluray played fine...

Maybe the monoprice cheap cables work most of the time but I'd rather reduce the possibility of failure by using something with higher quality construction and materials. The ethernet cables I got from monoprice did not have the ends put on them well when I compared to how an AV installer would do it when making their own out of cat5 cable. Some i discarded and some I am using right now in my rack connected to my switch which has 10 ports I think (too lazy to go look right now )

So in my case having the more expensive HDMI cable provided something extra which justified its price.

post #8533 of 11152 Old 04-27-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

........The 95 is really only intended for those whose systems make use of primarily or totally analog audio. These are either people with older home theater systems that didn't support HDMI........

.......The 95 would offer you no major improvements for the $500 difference with such a system IMO.

Well I went for the 95 purely because I prefered the look of it compared to the 93, and I liked it being a little taller, heavier and more substantial (don't like the slimline trend).

The analogue outs were a bonus and I do use them, as well as HDMI, but the asthetics ultimately drove my decision.

And regarding the 95 not offering any improvements....what about the warm fuzzy feeling it gives you when you fire it up knowing it's 'top of the range'?!

(No offence meant to 93 owners - it's certainly a looker too)

post #8534 of 11152 Old 04-27-2012, 03:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Anyone else notice that past midnight how the post get flakier?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #8535 of 11152 Old 04-27-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

There's really no way to answer that question because it depends on the rest of your system, including your speakers and that all important component - the room everything is in. If your system benefits from Audyssey, then the 93 via HDMI (with Audyssey turned on) will most likely sound better than analog output on the 95 without any room correction.

I wanted to come back to this as i just introduced an integrated amp to the mix (testing out Marantz PM5004) and i am by-passing the denon all together for 2 channel listening. The sound appears to be a lot cleaner and the vocals sound a lot better but i am now lacking in the bass area due to losing the room correction feature. I have a pair of Goldenear Triton 2's which have the powered subs and i want to make sure i am not missing anything. All i have done is made sure that the FR & FL are set to Large within the oppo menu with the sub setting set as no. The bass is there but nothing like when going through the denon 3312 and using Audyssey, is there something i am missing or is there a way to increase the bass? Thanks
post #8536 of 11152 Old 04-27-2012, 06:26 AM

^^^
Are you able to notice a difference in SQ between the DAC's in the 95 or your AVR? If so, which do you prefer?

Steve
post #8537 of 11152 Old 04-27-2012, 07:18 AM

Hey Steve,

I am certainly no expert but i bought the 95 as did many others based the quality of the DAC and i was a little disappointed when i realised i couldn't get the most out of it with the denon 3312. I was contemplating swapping it out for the 93 but having now listened to it with the Marantz integrated i will most definitely be keeping it. The sound to me is just so much crisper and more detailed than what the AVR was producing and hopefully with a few tweaks i can find that little extra base i am looking for.
post #8538 of 11152 Old 04-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-RIP View Post

And regarding the 95 not offering any improvements....what about the warm fuzzy feeling it gives you when you fire it up knowing it's 'top of the range'?!

(No offence meant to 93 owners - it's certainly a looker too)

None taken.. I get that same warm fuzzy feeling with my Oppo knowing I replaced the inferior switch mode power supply with a nice, big linear power supply that weighs about 1 lb.
post #8539 of 11152 Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

The fan on the Oppo BDP-95 is the loudest noise in our listening room. Not that it's all that loud, but it's the loudest in a quiet room.

I'd like to make it stop making so much noise, but haven't come up with a good solution yet.

I'm toying with the idea of removing the fan entirely, gluing heatpipe pickups to the CPU and whatever else needs to be cooled, and running the pipes out the fan hole to a massive sink. Heat would definitely be conducted out of the chassis, but I'm worried that general air movement cools everything, compared to just cooling particular components. I'm also not sure what other components to cool other than the CPU.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? ("Don't do it." isn't a thought: that's just a reaction.)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digit...p-95-a-10.html
post #8540 of 11152 Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuthooked View Post

Hey Steve,

I am certainly no expert but i bought the 95 as did many others based the quality of the DAC and i was a little disappointed when i realised i couldn't get the most out of it with the denon 3312. I was contemplating swapping it out for the 93 but having now listened to it with the Marantz integrated i will most definitely be keeping it. The sound to me is just so much crisper and more detailed than what the AVR was producing and hopefully with a few tweaks i can find that little extra base i am looking for.

I agree, the ESS SABRE 32 Bit DAC's are sweet & are the primary reason I bought the 95. My processor (JBL AV-1) does not support HDMI, so I needed a player with nice DAC's, the 95 certainly delivers. I'm glad you found a good match for it, enjoy. . .

Steve
post #8541 of 11152 Old 04-27-2012, 03:49 PM

^^
Thanks, very cool stuff Cory! There is much talk on fan noise, it is just not an issue for me. I've been enjoying mine since 03/2011, maybe I have good ventilation?

Steve
post #8542 of 11152 Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

$4000 2-ch amp with balanced inputs like a Bryston 4B-SST2 and speakers around the same price would be good. Yes the little Oppo is that good.

Oh wait you said movies... That was just for your CDs

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #8543 of 11152 Old 04-27-2012, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

Well...I had a common "rohs certified" hdmi going from hdmi 1 on the Oppo to the AVR and it wouldnt play the John Adams bluray. But when I plugged it into HDMI 2 it played fine. That cable had worked fine up until that point with the discs I had tried to play.

I had a more expensive Audio Quest HDMI cable laying around and I plugged that into HDMI 1 and the John Adams Bluray played fine...

Maybe the monoprice cheap cables work most of the time but I'd rather reduce the possibility of failure by using something with higher quality construction and materials. The ethernet cables I got from monoprice did not have the ends put on them well when I compared to how an AV installer would do it when making their own out of cat5 cable. Some i discarded and some I am using right now in my rack connected to my switch which has 10 ports I think (too lazy to go look right now )

So in my case having the more expensive HDMI cable provided something extra which justified its price.

Similar experience here. Monoprice must have different grades of cables because I sure got some lousy ones. They work with some components and not others. I am especially angry because the symptoms do not lead one to suspect the cable right away.

I got some equally cheap ($5) Chinese no-name cables that work way better but they are a larger gauge.

Sometimes cables really do matter.

- AVStefan
post #8544 of 11152 Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You won't be disappointed. Even the 83 is a great unit. In fact I sought out a used one (not made anymore) for my movie system because I didn't need 3D or wi-fi. It also has smoother DVD playback if your TV supports 24p.

- AVStefan
post #8545 of 11152 Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

I have a pair of Goldenear Triton 2's which have the powered subs and i want to make sure i am not missing anything. All i have done is made sure that the FR & FL are set to Large within the oppo menu with the sub setting set as no. The bass is there but nothing like when going through the denon 3312 and using Audyssey, is there something i am missing or is there a way to increase the bass? Thanks

Seems like maybe thats the wrong configuration for tower speakers with built in powered subs Newbuthooked . Sounds like your driving the mids/tweeter and not sending a signal to the lfe input on the speakers with the sub setting as no . Sending a 2ch full range signal from the marantz means only those speakers above the low pass filter in the speakers ie the mids /tweeter are reproducing the frequency range

Hook up the lfe and set the bass management to small and sub to 'on' so your powered subs get the lfe and redirected bass . This is a bit awkward as your denon also uses the lfe input on the speakers . If the audyssey is important to help your room you may need a switch to bypass the lfe input depending on which component your using . Lovely speakers ; as mentioned in 1 review reminiscent of the flatiron building in NY ; very stylish design
post #8546 of 11152 Old 04-28-2012, 04:13 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolie97 View Post

I will be using this post to track user created media, Internet streaming, and external storage compatibilities.

If you come up with material that is not in the FAQ, PM me with it and I'll put it in the FAQ.

I have no external storage section now.

What would internet streaming capabilities show?

-Bill
post #8547 of 11152 Old 04-28-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Unfortunately the player does not support bi-directional feedback so you can't use something like an iOS/Android device control the player, and the player lacks DLNA Rendering so you can't push data to the player. You must pull data using the player and its OSD from your server.

Press the PURE AUDIO button when you no longer want to see what is on the screen.

Unfortunately there is no set-by-time screensaver. The screensaver was designed to only engage if media playback had been stopped or paused for a given amount of time.

I really appreciate the feedback. I'm going to continue to play/struggle around and will update if I can figure out a work-around.
post #8548 of 11152 Old 04-28-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wanted to come back to this as i just introduced an integrated amp to the mix (testing out Marantz PM5004) and i am by-passing the denon all together for 2 channel listening. The sound appears to be a lot cleaner and the vocals sound a lot better but i am now lacking in the bass area due to losing the room correction feature. I have a pair of Goldenear Triton 2's which have the powered subs and i want to make sure i am not missing anything. All i have done is made sure that the FR & FL are set to Large within the oppo menu with the sub setting set as no. The bass is there but nothing like when going through the denon 3312 and using Audyssey, is there something i am missing or is there a way to increase the bass? Thanks

Just in case, make sure you;ve set your SW trim to +5dB instead of 0dB. The Oppo has a 'bug' from way back (since 83?) where there's a discrepancy between the HDMI and analog SW level trims. This is needed to ensure the HDMI and analog have matched SPL levels. I also set my downmux to Left/Right instead of Downmix to stereo.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #8549 of 11152 Old 04-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Just in case, make sure you;ve set your SW trim to +5dB instead of 0dB. The Oppo has a 'bug' from way back (since 83?) where there's a discrepancy between the HDMI and analog SW level trims. This is needed to ensure the HDMI and analog have matched SPL levels. I also set my downmux to Left/Right instead of Downmix to stereo.

He's got the Analog Subwoofer output set to OFF, so the Subwoofer volume trim isn't going to do anything.

By the way, the 5dB LFE difference for the Analog Subwoofer is not a bug. As has been discussed here many times before, it is by design. The Analog Subwoofer output of the OPPO players needs +15dB total boost to match the other Analog outputs. Typically this is done external to the player. If you have all speakers set to LARGE in the OPPO, then you can do up to +5dB of it safely using the Analog Subwoofer output volume trim in the OPPO -- with the remaining +10dB still applied externally either by raising the volume knob on the subwoofer itself, or in an AVR or pre-amp.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8550 of 11152 Old 04-28-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

He's got the Analog Subwoofer output set to OFF, so the Subwoofer volume trim isn't going to do anything.

By the way, the 5dB LFE difference for the Analog Subwoofer is not a bug. As has been discussed here many times before, it is by design. The Analog Subwoofer output of the OPPO players needs +15dB total boost to match the other Analog outputs. Typically this is done external to the player. If you have all speakers set to LARGE in the OPPO, then you can do up to +5dB of it safely using the Analog Subwoofer output volume trim in the OPPO -- with the remaining +10dB still applied externally either by raising the volume knob on the subwoofer itself, or in an AVR or pre-amp.
--Bob

As always, thanks for the correction Bob!

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page