Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 286 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8551 of 11152 Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Bob & Everyone -

My 95's wi-fi connection seemed to disconnect recently. I was wondering if it was because I changed my modem/router setting to stop broadcasting the SSID.

I know even less about computer networking than I do about HT - which means not very much at all. My understanding was that not broadcasting the SSID is more secure. I also have a WPA-PSK TKIP (?) password set up.

I have other gear that still connects with no issues after the change - Can the 95 just not do it or is there some setting in the Oppo I could try?

Thanks,
JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

He's got the Analog Subwoofer output set to OFF, so the Subwoofer volume trim isn't going to do anything.

By the way, the 5dB LFE difference for the Analog Subwoofer is not a bug. As has been discussed here many times before, it is by design. The Analog Subwoofer output of the OPPO players needs +15dB total boost to match the other Analog outputs. Typically this is done external to the player. If you have all speakers set to LARGE in the OPPO, then you can do up to +5dB of it safely using the Analog Subwoofer output volume trim in the OPPO -- with the remaining +10dB still applied externally either by raising the volume knob on the subwoofer itself, or in an AVR or pre-amp.
--Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8552 of 11152 Old 04-29-2012, 10:34 AM

Liked: 10
Regarding the 93 vs 95 discussion: I too bought the 95 for the great DACs as I was looking for something that could act as a music server for hi-Def audio. I was looing to buy a new DAC and when I found I needed to upgrade my Blu-Ray, the Opp seemed like the obvious choice to kill two birds with ne stone. I know have Hi-De FLAC successfully coming from my computer via Wi-Fi to the Oppo and have a great Blu-Ray to boot. Now what AVR or seperates to get next? Thinking of the Integra 80.3 or Parasound P7 with a good amp. Recommendations?
post #8553 of 11152 Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 AM

Does it play SHN audio files?
post #8554 of 11152 Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post

Does it play SHN audio files?

I had to look that up. I've never heard of it even being tested. I'm pretty sure the answer is "no", but if you can post a small sample file somewhere we can check it.

FLAC and APE are supported and are the current popular lossless compression formats.

-Bill
post #8555 of 11152 Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Perhaps you could use any quality preamp, since you can use the analog outputs for audio and HDMI direct to your display for video. I'm using an older Rotel pre-pro using both types of audio connections, but going straight from the BD player to my PJ.

This way I have great 2.1 audio, with my amp between the front speakers:

post #8556 of 11152 Old 04-29-2012, 02:30 PM

Thanks Jon. I am leaning to have a good center channel speaker for movies since most of the audio is dialogue. The other option I'm toying with is a Krell integrated to rive my Martin Logan speakers because of their impedance issues.
post #8557 of 11152 Old 04-29-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuggs View Post

Regarding the 93 vs 95 discussion: I too bought the 95 for the great DACs as I was looking for something that could act as a music server for hi-Def audio. I was looing to buy a new DAC and when I found I needed to upgrade my Blu-Ray, the Opp seemed like the obvious choice to kill two birds with ne stone. I know have Hi-De FLAC successfully coming from my computer via Wi-Fi to the Oppo and have a great Blu-Ray to boot. Now what AVR or seperates to get next? Thinking of the Integra 80.3 or Parasound P7 with a good amp. Recommendations?

I love my P7 and combine with an A-21 for my audio system. My audio and video systems are seperate but share dual subwoofers. The P7 allows that with Home Theater Bypass. BTW, the phono section in the P7 is very nice.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #8558 of 11152 Old 04-29-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post

Perhaps you could use any quality preamp, since you can use the analog outputs for audio and HDMI direct to your display for video. I'm using an older Rotel pre-pro using both types of audio connections, but going straight from the BD player to my PJ.

This way I have great 2.1 audio, with my amp between the front speakers:

Sweet setup indeed ... (now, if only you finish up on the paint job, then it'll look golden!)

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #8559 of 11152 Old 04-29-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I had to look that up. I've never heard of it even being tested. I'm pretty sure the answer is "no", but if you can post a small sample file somewhere we can check it.

FLAC and APE are supported and are the current popular lossless compression formats.

-Bill

I have a few SHN files, but they wouldn't play on the Oppo. I ended up converting them to FLAC files. SHN used to be a common method for archiving live concert recordings.

Here is a link to some SHN files (featuring the great band moe.): http://archive.org/details/moe2001-01-01.shnf

By the way, Internet Archives is completely legit and a great way of accessing archival live music in FLAC and SHN format.
post #8560 of 11152 Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 PM

I plan to upgrade my BDP-95 after lts warranty expires (soon). I don't want to void the warranty by openning the metal case now but wish to buy an aftermarket fuse in preparation for the upgrade. Can anyone please tell me the type, size and rating of the fuse inside the BDP-95 ?
post #8561 of 11152 Old 04-29-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitz View Post

I plan to upgrade my BDP-95 after lts warranty expires (soon). I don't want to void the warranty by openning the metal case now but wish to buy an aftermarket fuse in preparation for the upgrade. Can anyone please tell me the type, size and rating of the fuse inside the BDP-95 ?

post #8562 of 11152 Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

lol

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #8563 of 11152 Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:

+1, I see a HiFi Tunning Supreme in the near future for my 95 as I'm finding out the better the current to the unit the better it gets(I just slapped a Ps Audio AC10 and Am elated at the results), as Iv'e done this on my Anthem avm20 and Halo A21 with more than subtle results . Now for you disbelievers a simple way to find out if I'm just blowin smoke Pick a main line fuse on your amp or other gear that's easily accessible clean it with Caig progold or what ever you have on hand and polish to a shine holder included and don't worry you can thank me latter

Post the values when you find out what they are!
post #8564 of 11152 Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_alpha View Post

Hey Bob & Everyone -

My 95's wi-fi connection seemed to disconnect recently. I was wondering if it was because I changed my modem/router setting to stop broadcasting the SSID.

I know even less about computer networking than I do about HT - which means not very much at all. My understanding was that not broadcasting the SSID is more secure. I also have a WPA-PSK TKIP (?) password set up.

I have other gear that still connects with no issues after the change - Can the 95 just not do it or is there some setting in the Oppo I could try?

Thanks,
JD

No, I run with a non-broadcast (concealed) Wifi name all the time. In fact I recommend folks set their Wifi that way.

So there's something else going on. Perhaps you have a new source of interference near the player or need to reposition its Wifi antenna. (The USB extension supplied with the player is used for that.)

Are you not able to get the 95 to connect at all? Or does it connect but then later drop the connection for no good reason?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8565 of 11152 Old 04-30-2012, 12:11 AM

Liked: 14
shn is a legacy format and wish it would just go away. the only reason its still around is becasue the shows that were digitized to shn back in the day are kept that way in original form for trading and uploading to the web since that is the way it was initially shared. I used to have a lot Phish shows archived in shn. Common media players cant play it easily as far as i know and we all have to use something like traders little helper to rip to flac or wav (actually i think winamp can play them with a plug in but not sure how good win amp is or if it converts the shn to mp3 to allow play back). I view shn as a nuisance and its size is larger than flac too..its a real pain in the ass cause you have to convert all the files to another format to actually play it. With flac you can play it with out any conversion in a media player like media monkey or foobar. Big improvement.
post #8566 of 11152 Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

^^^^^^ You right! The biggest, important upgrade in your player is the fuse...
Good luck to find the right size (for sure King size) and rating (best 5 stars)... ^^^^
post #8567 of 11152 Old 04-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

What's wrong with the fuse you have?

It was specifically designed for the 95 by real smart engineers. I'm thinking if a better fuse makes a substantial audio difference, an engineer needs to be fired. I believe something that simple would have been implemented already if it made a difference...wait, maybe the one you have is already a "special" fuse. BTW, what especially is special about the special upgraded fuses anyway?

Momma told me, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Sorry in advance for being a SA, but some things I just can't be convinced of.

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #8568 of 11152 Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

shn is a legacy format and wish it would just go away. the only reason its still around is becasue the shows that were digitized to shn back in the day are kept that way in original form for trading and uploading to the web since that is the way it was initially shared. I used to have a lot Phish shows archived in shn. Common media players cant play it easily as far as i know and we all have to use something like traders little helper to rip to flac or wav (actually i think winamp can play them with a plug in but not sure how good win amp is or if it converts the shn to mp3 to allow play back). I view shn as a nuisance and its size is larger than flac too..its a real pain in the ass cause you have to convert all the files to another format to actually play it. With flac you can play it with out any conversion in a media player like media monkey or foobar. Big improvement.

I agree, but then I feel the same way about WavePack, APE and other legacy compression formats, although these are more commonly decoded by most media players. At least they are lossless formats so that recordings using these codecs can be converted without loss of quality.

Foobar plays SHN files with the Shorten decoder plug-in if you have any left, but more importantly, easily converts them to FLAC without any loss of quality.
post #8569 of 11152 Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

It was specifically designed for the 95 by real smart engineers. I'm thinking if a better fuse makes a substantial audio difference, an engineer needs to be fired. I believe something that simple would have been implemented already if it made a difference...wait, maybe the one you have is already a "special" fuse. BTW, what especially is special about the special upgraded fuses anyway?

There was a very interesting report in Saturday's newspaper about the actions of serotonin. Apparently if one person expects a second person to be trustworthy, this expectation makes the second person more likely to actually be honest. Serotonin levels are increased in both, and both feel better. This sounds like the explanation for the placebo effect, a phenomenon which is universally acknowledged.

So if one believes that replacing a fuse will create a more pleasing sound, then serotonin levels will increase making the sound truly more pleasing.

The result could be that the naive have a better listening experience than we skeptics!

Bill Bunker
post #8570 of 11152 Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 AM

Liked: 12
Thanks Bob - I definitely cannot connect at all now, but I've done at least 1 firmware update through wi-fi over the past few months so it was working before. I recently did a couple of adjustments on the modem to rebroadcast the SSID again so I could configure a new laptop. After it was set up, I went back and defeated the broadcasting again. I don't know if that would have any impact?

Should I just set up the wi-fi connection on the Oppo again? I'd follow the same steps: turn on SSID broadcast on modem, configure wi-fi connection on Oppo, and then defeat broadcasting again on the modem

- JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

No, I run with a non-broadcast (concealed) Wifi name all the time. In fact I recommend folks set their Wifi that way.

So there's something else going on. Perhaps you have a new source of interference near the player or need to reposition its Wifi antenna. (The USB extension supplied with the player is used for that.)

Are you not able to get the 95 to connect at all? Or does it connect but then later drop the connection for no good reason?
--Bob

post #8571 of 11152 Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 AM

A 1 meter PS Audio Perfect Wave AC-10 carries a "regular price" of $700.00, but you can get it cheap through Audio Advisor for the low, low price of only $699.99. Act now! Quantities limited!!!!

The most expensive home-sized version of Caig ProGold (now known as DeoxIT Gold G-Series) is $37.95 for 50 individually-packed wipes. The most expensive of all is $295.00 for 944ml., also known as a quart.

I'd go for the AC-10 too, of course.

Not.
post #8572 of 11152 Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALCOMData View Post

A 1 meter PS Audio Perfect Wave AC-10 carries a "regular price" of $700.00, but you can get it cheap through Audio Advisor for the low, low price of only $699.99. Act now! Quantities limited!!!!

The most expensive home-sized version of Caig ProGold (now known as DeoxIT Gold G-Series) is $37.95 for 50 individually-packed wipes. The most expensive of all is $295.00 for 944ml., also known as a quart.

I'd go for the AC-10 too, of course.

Not.

Its just to bad my AC12 has amp duty and a bit heavy for my 95 or I'd give it a try there. All things being fair to my ears the 95 sounds like a 5K and up player and I treat it as such.
post #8573 of 11152 Old 04-30-2012, 01:05 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post

There was a very interesting report in Saturday's newspaper about the actions of serotonin. Apparently if one person expects a second person to be trustworthy, this expectation makes the second person more likely to actually be honest. Serotonin levels are increased in both, and both feel better. This sounds like the explanation for the placebo effect, a phenomenon which is universally acknowledged.

So if one believes that replacing a fuse will create a more pleasing sound, then serotonin levels will increase making the sound truly more pleasing.

The result could be that the naive have a better listening experience than we skeptics!

And if the fuse doesn't create a more pleasing sound after all, one can still take a few Prozac
post #8574 of 11152 Old 04-30-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

I'm sure the fuses in the 95 are off the shelf and if a fuse made of better materials where next to it which would you choose barring price of course
post #8575 of 11152 Old 04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I'm sure the fuses in the 95 are off the shelf and if a fuse made of better materials where next to it which would you choose barring price of course

"Better materials" for what -- circuit protection, audio, video?
post #8576 of 11152 Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_alpha View Post

Thanks Bob - I definitely cannot connect at all now, but I've done at least 1 firmware update through wi-fi over the past few months so it was working before. I recently did a couple of adjustments on the modem to rebroadcast the SSID again so I could configure a new laptop. After it was set up, I went back and defeated the broadcasting again. I don't know if that would have any impact?

Should I just set up the wi-fi connection on the Oppo again? I'd follow the same steps: turn on SSID broadcast on modem, configure wi-fi connection on Oppo, and then defeat broadcasting again on the modem

- JD

Yes, set up the Wifi again. By the way if you know the Wifi name, security type, and password, you can do a Manual Wifi setup without having to make your Wifi name "open" again. The only difference between the open and closed Wifi networks is whether the network broadcasts its name so clients can offer it in a list of choices to the user. If you KNOW the name you can just enter it instead of selecting it from the list, and that works even while the network is "closed".
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8577 of 11152 Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

"Better materials" for what -- circuit protection, audio, video?

The path of least resistance, I sometimes wonder about the simplicity of some concepts and how it eludes otherwise rational people. To put this to rest and get back to sharing info on the 95,here's what I did. Prior to purchasing a Hifi tunning fuse I simply cleaned the Ceramic fuse in my Halo A21 to hear any change for the better or worse. "Result" the change was for the better, mind you the Man himself John Curl commented (He's the designer of the A21) about the use of silver fuses and had they been available would have used them. I have two dedicated 20amp 10awg and 12awg lines to feed my gear good clean current with as little restriction as possible, from there I use a Ps Audio Soloist Premier Se inwall power conditioner for my amp and a Quintet for the rest all fed via a loom of Perfectwave cables. Now wait for it after all this it all has to pass through a tiny fuse A critical link if you will ! I know what my gear sounds like and the insertion of a better made fuse was well worth the investment for me Sure it sucks it cost more, for me it was a no brainier. It just sounds so good
post #8578 of 11152 Old 05-01-2012, 12:10 AM

Liked: 16
With your permission, I will try to (easy) explain a little this about the fuse in the audio/video world. This as a conclusion in the last started here (quite stupid) subject. (For those who are interest in this, there is out there a lot of documentation about the fuse in/and audio.)

There is really a clue about the fuse(s), but in the case of BDP95 is not.
A fuse act as an resistor (even as an inductor) and it have a quite important resistance, can even drop the power in a system, or affect the signals paths if is placed wrong (by design). If the fuse is placed in a very beginning stage of a power system (AC path) there is no any problem for the audio/video stages in a device/unit. One have anyway such fuses in a house AC electrical system... If (the bad designer) place the fuse in the DC path of an audio/video device, then the problems occur. Changing that ordinary fuse placed in DC path of a system, with another one will change that enough significant resistance (even inductance) value with another one. For varies reasons a very low resistance/inductance in an DC path alter the signals in quite low frequencies, harmonics and so on, in an AUDIO system, and this have an impact for the outputted sound and for the listener. In a video stage this impact is non-existent.
Placing a fuse in the input AC path do not affect at all the quality of an audio system, but only will protect it. In such case the following DC path of the power will be as clean as technological possible, with the resistances/inductance/capacity of the involved wires, PCB traces or the contact resistance/inductance/capacitance of the connectors/contacts.

In the case of BDP95 the fuse is placed correctly in the AC input path (before the switching/analogue PSUs), so absolutely not any problem occur because of that fuse. There is not any upgrade to be done here!
There are many other and more sophisticated upgrades in many different stages (including power system), which have dramatically (positive) impact for the overall audio/video quality of this player...
post #8579 of 11152 Old 05-01-2012, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 177
It's just darned lucky for us that the parts that benefit most from "upgrades" are the ones that are user replaceable! Fuses, line cords, wires, feet... Hmmm.
post #8580 of 11152 Old 05-01-2012, 12:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post

In the case of BDP95 the fuse is placed correctly in the AC input path (before the switching/analogue PSUs), so absolutely no{t} any problem occur because of that fuse. There is no{t} any upgrade to be done here!

Thank you.

It sounds like exotic power cords "might" (I'm being cautious.) be on the A/C side of things too. What never seems to be on the DC side of modifications, good or bad, is double blind test design.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page