Forum Jump: 

post #8581 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

The fan on the Oppo BDP-95 is the loudest noise in our listening room. Not that it's all that loud, but it's the loudest in a quiet room.

I'd like to make it stop making so much noise, but haven't come up with a good solution yet.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? ("Don't do it." isn't a thought: that's just a reaction.)

Well, I've been seeing these fan noise reports for a while now and always thought: What the heck are these people talking about? I can only discern the fan running by putting my ear directly against the back of the case.

Until today. I bought a new turntable and moved the 95 down one shelf. It used to sit on top of my metal frame/glass shelves rack. I moved it down one shelf, turned it on, and to my surprise, I immediately noticed the fan noise, even from a couple of feet away. It still cannot be heard from the sitting area, but it is MUCH louder than it used to be. So I think the player placement is important here. In my case, I bet the surrounding shelves act as a sort of a 'speaker cabinet' for the fan. If the noise is a concern, I'd try experimenting with the player placement. Maybe it could be brought under control by moving it elsewhere, preferably into the open as much as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8582 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 02:04 AM

Liked: 14
I think a silver plated fuse might do the trick. let us know how that works out.
post #8583 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 02:06 AM

oppo prompting me to upgrade firmware.. has anyone done this and it worked out ok? Did you notice anything negative or any removal of functionality like .iso last time? thanks
post #8584 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
^ No, nothing nasty. Changes are listed in the release notes. See the first post of the BDP-93 sticky thread, or the info on OPPO's Support page for the player.
--Bob
[edited, to clarify]

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8585 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonalex View Post

Well, I've been seeing these fan noise reports for a while now and always thought: What the heck are these people talking about? I can only discern the fan running by putting my ear directly against the back of the case.

Until today. I bought a new turntable and moved the 95 down one shelf. It used to sit on top of my metal frame/glass shelves rack. I moved it down one shelf, turned it on, and to my surprise, I immediately noticed the fan noise, even from a couple of feet away. It still cannot be heard from the sitting area, but it is MUCH louder than it used to be. So I think the player placement is important here. In my case, I bet the surrounding shelves act as a sort of a 'speaker cabinet' for the fan. If the noise is a concern, I'd try experimenting with the player placement. Maybe it could be brought under control by moving it elsewhere, preferably into the open as much as possible.

Check out Corry's post #8541 - some pretty cool stuff, thanks Corry. . .

Steve
post #8586 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 06:01 AM

Nasties. . .
We all got a smack down a year ago for the same stuff (this kind of talk belongs in a different post anyway). I don’t understand the plethora of aggressive attacks the second a thread enters ‘open water’ if you will, basically anything that is not quantifiable, or if it is it to minute to be audible, or basically any difference of opinion. If we are honest, we have all seen it, way too often, threads start out useful & informative and are hijacked into rants about something like ‘double blind’ tests properly preformed or what not. If I want to learn about that subject I’ll find a thread about that rather than the thread find me.
We have a very useful thread at our disposal here on the 95, many people reference it for information. Why should someone have to fend off page after page of thoughtless mindless run-off to find useful up to date information?

Steve
post #8587 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

oppo prompting me to upgrade firmware.. has anyone done this and it worked out ok? Did you notice anything negative or any removal of functionality like .iso last time? thanks

Yes. I updated the firmware this past weekend without incident
post #8588 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post

With your permission, I will try to (easy) explain a little this about the fuse in the audio/video world. This as a conclusion in the last started here (quite stupid) subject. (For those who are interest in this, there is out there a lot of documentation about the fuse in/and audio.)

There is really a clue about the fuse(s), but in the case of BDP95 is not.
A fuse act as an resistor (even as an inductor) and it have a quite important resistance, can even drop the power in a system, or affect the signals paths if is placed wrong (by design). If the fuse is placed in a very beginning stage of a power system (AC path) there is no any problem for the audio/video stages in a device/unit. One have anyway such fuses in a house AC electrical system... If (the bad designer) place the fuse in the DC path of an audio/video device, then the problems occur. Changing that ordinary fuse placed in DC path of a system, with another one will change that enough significant resistance (even inductance) value with another one. For varies reasons a very low resistance/inductance in an DC path alter the signals in quite low frequencies, harmonics and so on, in an AUDIO system, and this have an impact for the outputted sound and for the listener. In a video stage this impact is non-existent.
Placing a fuse in the input AC path do not affect at all the quality of an audio system, but only will protect it. In such case the following DC path of the power will be as clean as technological possible, with the resistances/inductance/capacity of the involved wires, PCB traces or the contact resistance/inductance/capacitance of the connectors/contacts.

In the case of BDP95 the fuse is placed correctly in the AC input path (before the switching/analogue PSUs), so absolutely not any problem occur because of that fuse. There is not any upgrade to be done here!
There are many other and more sophisticated upgrades in many different stages (including power system), which have dramatically (positive) impact for the overall audio/video quality of this player...

I'm not sure I follow you on this I can merely swap a powercable and the video portion can change more than just a little and is discernible to the naked eye! Of course I only offer here what Iv'e seen and heard from my own experience. Sorry to say but the world is not as flat as some here may think it is. It really is sad for you guys missing out on the potential of your gear before buying more. If the information Iv'e post here is of no value to you, then let your comments reflect your experience in the matter at hand and not just the knowledge of why you think it shouldn't work! Its no wonder those who have found the 95 to be the "Cats Meow" have taken the time and effort to give a solid foundation on which to deliver its sonic prowess.

As "Stated" in my earlier post on this subject simply clean a stock fuse
and post some real info
post #8589 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

As "Stated" in my earlier post on this subject simply clean a stock fuse and post some real info

As "Stated" in my earlier post on this subject simply conduct a double blind test and post some real info.
post #8590 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingMyRide View Post

Check out Corry's post #8541 - some pretty cool stuff, thanks Corry. . .

Yes, thanks. I did look at it. My point is: maybe in some cases moving the player to a different shelf or rack rather than messing with the internals may make the noise problem decrease to an acceptable level.
post #8591 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

As "Stated" in my earlier post on this subject simply conduct a double blind test and post some real info.

When was the last time an engineer or scientist ( and no I'm neither) of any sort conducted an evaluation of anything used DBT I'm not trying to figure out if this is one kind of soda over the other, which is where your DBT will be more applicable For after market mods, cables ,fuses or vibration control, It either sounds good or it doesn't. If it does I share with others who may find the information useful. Just maybe for the its all the same crowd, you guys might want to adopt the "Who would have thought"" attitude as one may come across some interesting findings
post #8592 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 02:23 PM

^^
I had some extra granite from our kitchen rehab years back, made it into a cutting block. My wife grew tired of it, long story short, I started using under my disc players and liked the results. Pretty cool, a mod that didn't cost anything (well, already paid for anyway). I don't know if this helps lower my fan noise or not, certainly not air flow but but vibration. . .

Steve
post #8593 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

One should never deny an individual the right to enjoy his or hers fuse modifications. One should never mind that those individuals report their subjective appreciation of the results. Enjoy.
post #8594 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

^^
I had some extra granite from our kitchen rehab years back, made it into a cutting block. My wife grew tired of it, long story short, I started using under my disc players and liked the results. Pretty cool, a mod that didn't cost anything (well, already paid for anyway). I don't know if this helps lower my fan noise or not, certainly not air flow but but vibration. . .

What would your wife have had to say if you paid $1,000 for that granite slab? There is no doubt in my mind that vibration can cause trouble in any number of devices, and that it should be eliminated where ever possible or practical. I'm not so sure that building a reinforced concrete pillar down to bed rock would have made an appreciable difference over your chunk of granite. I've never seen or heard one, but I have read about them.
post #8595 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^

I tried a couple of different footers under my 95 from Herbies tender feet to Blk racing cones #3 and disc but in the end they both went back as I found the stock feet to offer the best balance with out high lighting one thing over the other. I also replaced my audio rack, went from a Lovan to a modular VTI, Ater researching various materials from those that absorb(lead shot , sand) and those that resonate (steel,brass) I took the approach of embracing resonance instead of an all out assault to kill vibration, I filled the post with stainless steel bb's 3/4 and used playsand to fill in between, I also used an asymmetrical method, the shelves themselves are Mdf. The result was well worth the effort, It yielded a very nice sounding increase in sustained decay of instruments and a very stable a tangible image!
post #8596 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 03:32 PM

Liked: 12
so i pulled the trigger on the oppo bdp-95 and i'm replacing a rotel rcd-991 and a panasonic 3d bluray player not sure of the model but paid like 500 when it came out two years ago. anyway i'm going to use the analog out for the 2 channel audio. when connecting to my pre/pro marantz av7005 should i use the analog outputs or the hdmi for sound to my receiver. which will yield better results i know the dac's in the unit are great quaility but i'm sure the marantz is no slouch either. thanks for the help.
post #8597 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Hello folks,this is my first post on this great forum.
i have new oppo 95 player region b from oppo uk.
as i set the setup menu and connected the lan cable pop up screen
jumped asking me to update the firmware BDP9xEU-65-0302 with the new
BDP9xEU-66-0413.
i went to the oppo uk site and noticed that it is indeed official firmware so i
started the on line upd.it download the file,checked crc (fine) and updated the main fw + mcu + bdload file.after that another pop up said it will turn off.
since then i cannot start the player.nor the remote-nor the panel button will start the player until now.
i emailed oppos uk tech support but i may ask if anyone can get what went wrong with the process or met something like this before.
thank you all in advance - sharonj
post #8598 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac23 View Post

Hello folks,this is my first post on this great forum.
i have new oppo 95 player region b from oppo uk.
as i set the setup menu and connected the lan cable pop up screen
jumped asking me to update the firmware BDP9xEU-65-0302 with the new
BDP9xEU-66-0413.
i went to the oppo uk site and noticed that it is indeed official firmware so i
started the on line upd.it download the file,checked crc (fine) and updated the main fw + mcu + bdload file.after that another pop up said it will turn off.
since then i cannot start the player.nor the remote-nor the panel button will start the player until now.
i emailed oppos uk tech support but i may ask if anyone can get what went wrong with the process or met something like this before.
thank you all in advance - sharonj

Well that's a nuisance! No this is not a normal event. Firmware installs on these OPPO players are really quite robust.

However since this is the first firmware install you've done, it is possible you discovered a hardware fault in your new player which kept the firmware from being recorded correctly.

At this point, the only thing I can suggest is that you disconnect EVERYTHING from the player, including the power cord. After about a minute, reconnect JUST the power cord and see if you can power up. Try both the front panel Power button and also the front panel Tray Open button.

If no luck, OPPO will need to swap out your player.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8599 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Check the fuse?

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #8600 of 11189 Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ There's no externally accessible fuse on the 95EU. However their IS a power supply voltage range switch at the power socket that might have been set incorrectly.
--Bob

post #8601 of 11189 Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 AM

Just got the Grateful Dead "All the Years Combine The DVD Collection" that was just released

Set 3 on disc 2 - Track 7 - The Closing of Winterland DVD dec 31 1978 - I counted 6 clicks - dont know if I missed any others - Since my rack is next to plasma in living room I can hear it - it wasnt changin tracks either
post #8602 of 11189 Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

What would your wife have had to say if you paid $1,000 for that granite slab? There is no doubt in my mind that vibration can cause trouble in any number of devices, and that it should be eliminated where ever possible or practical. I'm not so sure that building a reinforced concrete pillar down to bed rock would have made an appreciable difference over your chunk of granite. I've never seen or heard one, but I have read about them.

Never would have done it; if I had, I’d be using speech recognition software. It was there, what can I say? Maybe it is just the fact it is of some use again other than collecting dust.

Steve
post #8603 of 11189 Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac23 View Post

i went to the oppo uk site and noticed that it is indeed official firmware so i started the on line upd.it download the file,checked crc (fine) and updated the main fw + mcu + bdload file.after that another pop up said it will turn off. since then i cannot start the player.nor the remote-nor the panel button will start the player until now.i emailed oppos uk tech support but i may ask if anyone can get what went wrong with the process or met something like this before.

Depending on the age of your player and what MCU was installed, it is possible that your player is just hanging at the Standby state.

Remove the power cable from the back of the player. Remove the HDMI cable.

Press and hold the POWER button on the front panel of the player for 5 seconds. Release.

Reconnect just the power cable.

Is the POWER LED on the front panel of the player blank or RED?

Press the POWER button on the front panel of the player. Does the POWER LED turn to BLUE and the front display show OPPO then eventually No Disc?
post #8604 of 11189 Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 AM

jac23 and all,

I had severe audio distortion problems (particularly noted with all types of SACDS) with my ModWright Oppo 95, immediately after February 2012 install of public beta firmware --- from a CD provided by Oppo.
Upgrading to the following March official release firmware, again from a CD provided by Oppo - while I was on the phone with Oppo tech (Dougin or Duggan) - gave same results.
I noted the former option to ouput FL/FR signals of multi-channel through the stereo DAC and stereo outputs no longer showed on audio processing screen of setup.
Also I noted "HDMI B" showed on player display at all times.

We determined that somehow my player had loaded the firmware subversion for the model 93 player. The Oppo tech implied my player must be a BDP-93 or have a 93 main board instead of a 95. I protested that ModWright does not even modify Oppo 93s and I had complete trust in Dan Wright's integrity and repeated my unit was a demo unit purchased from ModWright and sent direct to mje from RMAF Denver.
The Oppo tech insisted I would have to ship the player, including the ModWright external power supply for the tube mods and the tubes, to Oppo.
I countered that I would ship only the player to ModWright, as they would be better able to disassemble their mods and they could send the player's main board on to Oppo to get "flashed" as the Oppo tech said would probably have to be done.

I got my player back on Monday and all is well now...

below is an e-mail concerning this which I sent to Dan Wright on April 5

Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:17

To: Dan Wright (modwright@yahoo.com)

Subject: my ModWright Oppo 95

Dan,

John Garrett left me a voice mail yesterday afternoon 4/4/12 ~ 4:32 EDT /1:32 PDT

detailing his findings re my ModWright Oppo 95. They coincide with what I was experiencing as problems

and reporting to Oppo. John may have found even more that I didn’t have the time to completely scope out/delineate.

I certainly have never opened the chassis since receipt from your contractor who shipped on from RMAF Denver.

And everything worked fine including the official release Oppo 95 firmware upgrades (from CDs provided by Oppo!)

which allowed selection of FL/FR multi-channel signals from SACDS, Blu-Rays, etc to go through “stereo DAC” and its processing chain and also selection of XLR terminals polarity.

As best I could determine all the problems started after doing a public beta firmware upgrade (again from CD provided by Oppo!)

John noticed something regarding HDMI B showing on display even after doing “Reset Factory Defaults.”

I had noticed that as well and commented on it in a second or third phone call with “Duggan” at Oppo.

This was after installing the official release firmware upgrade (following the public beta firmware) again from CD provided by Oppo. my conversation with “Duggan” walking him through the setup options showing on TV screen

We discovered the firmware SubVersion showing was for the Oppo 93, which was when “Duggan” started

questioning that the player or board was a 93 and not a 95 and our communication went downhill.

I told him I had complete trust in ModWright’s integrity and brought up that everything had worked fine after the earlier official release Oppo 95 firmware upgrades which first allowed selection of FL/FR multi-channel signals from SACDS, Blu-Rays, etc to go through “stereo DAC” and its processing chain and also selection of XLR terminals polarity

I suggested they provide a firmware CD with just the firmware components (main, MCU or sub version, and loader) for the Oppo 95

and with no firmware components for the 93 (or 83 or anything other than 95) and what they burned and sent me was a CD with only 95 subversion /MCU firmware. When that one said “No Firmware Upgrade found” and I called and asked them to send a CD with exactly what I had requested, Duggan got his back up and said “We are not sending you another CD!” and “You will have to send us your player and the power supply and the tubes.” I countered would Oppo work with you if I sent the player to ModWright as you/your techs know how to disassemble your mods properly and Oppo may not.

I hope that John can write his findings up and send them along with the main board to Oppo

(maybe even specifically to the attention of “Duggan”?!?).

At any rate it is good to get my player to ModWright, diagnosed by John Garrett (and confirming the problems I was experiencing) and hopefully things moving to get it “flashed:” or whatever and returned to full functionality.

I am enjoying music through my ModWright Oppo 83 SE for the interim.

Thanks,
post #8605 of 11189 Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 PM

and i apologize for my late response.
i hope that i could get suggestions from experienced members which
may save me from sending it back to oppo uk as this is expensive step for me
as i am not uk citizen.
what i cannot figure out is the type of this error: is it software-hardware
issue or some electrical "minor" problem.
i will not direct it to experienced technician as it will void oppos 2 years
warranty.and if (for example) the eprom programming was destroyed - which must lead to board/chip set swap i will have no alternative but throw the machine.
what is weird was that the process went smooth all the way (i have done dozens of fw-software updates in my 51 years as my profession is concern to data security on large networks,so the tech side is familiar.
i will try more from the suggestions above although i am becoming less confident and more skeptical.
thank you all again - sharonj
post #8606 of 11189 Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmacklin View Post

jac23 and all,

I had severe audio distortion problems (particularly noted with all types of SACDS) with my ModWright Oppo 95, immediately after February 2012 install of public beta firmware --- from a CD provided by Oppo.
Upgrading to the following March official release firmware, again from a CD provided by Oppo - while I was on the phone with Oppo tech (Dougin or Duggan) - gave same results.
I noted the former option to ouput FL/FR signals of multi-channel through the stereo DAC and stereo outputs no longer showed on audio processing screen of setup.
Also I noted "HDMI B" showed on player display at all times.

We determined that somehow my player had loaded the firmware subversion for the model 93 player. The Oppo tech implied my player must be a BDP-93 or have a 93 main board instead of a 95. I protested that ModWright does not even modify Oppo 93s and I had complete trust in Dan Wright's integrity and repeated my unit was a demo unit purchased from ModWright and sent direct to mje from RMAF Denver.
The Oppo tech insisted I would have to ship the player, including the ModWright external power supply for the tube mods and the tubes, to Oppo.
I countered that I would ship only the player to ModWright, as they would be better able to disassemble their mods and they could send the player's main board on to Oppo to get "flashed" as the Oppo tech said would probably have to be done.

I got my player back on Monday and all is well now...

rlmaclin:

How do you like the modwirght mods compared to the stock 95? I am interested in his sonics ans was curious if the difference between his players and the stock is a wow kind of difference.

David

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #8607 of 11189 Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Just got the Grateful Dead "All the Years Combine The DVD Collection" that was just released

Set 3 on disc 2 - Track 7 - The Closing of Winterland DVD dec 31 1978 - I counted 6 clicks - dont know if I missed any others - Since my rack is next to plasma in living room I can hear it - it wasnt changin tracks either

I was watching a baseball game tonight and heard a click when changing channels. Right now I cant confirm 100% if the previous clicking was from the oppo. Thanks
post #8608 of 11189 Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I was watching a baseball game tonight and heard a click when changing channels. Right now I cant confirm 100% if the previous clicking was from the oppo. Thanks

Have you been able to determine if the click is coming from one or more of your speakers, or instead coming from some piece of equipment in your electronics rack?

Also, it's just possible you are hearing thermal expansion "clicking" -- i.e, something like your display expanding a bit due to warming up.
--Bob

post #8609 of 11189 Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Have you been able to determine if the click is coming from one or more of your speakers, or instead coming from some piece of equipment in your electronics rack?

Also, it's just possible you are hearing thermal expansion "clicking" -- i.e, something like your display expanding a bit due to warming up.
--Bob

not the speakers but could be the receiver. Thermal expansion is possibility I guess but not from warming up cause everything was on for a while. Thought it was oppo before since I was trying out some different formats via usb...and couple days ago was playing new dvd I just picked up - but tonight i just had game on - the oppo was on too but wasnt using it - I heard one click for sure when I changed a channel. Just want to know where it is coming from. I think its the oppo or avr. I can camp out right next to equipment and act as look out
post #8610 of 11189 Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

not the speakers but could be the receiver. Thermal expansion is possibility I guess but not from warming up cause everything was on for a while. Thought it was oppo before since I was trying out some different formats via usb...and couple days ago was playing new dvd I just picked up - but tonight i just had game on - the oppo was on too but wasnt using it - I heard one click for sure when I changed a channel. Just want to know where it is coming from. I think its the oppo or avr. I can camp out right next to equipment and act as look out

Well, the BDP-95 uses relays to mute audio during HDMI handshakes, so you should expect to hear mechanical clicks from it when first starting up a movie or transitioning between things like previews and the main menu.

Similarly, some receivers (usually the better ones) also use relays for the same purpose, so you'll get similar mechanical clicks during HDMI handshakes, when switching surround modes, etc. My Denon AVP-A1HDCI and 4311CI both have relays and click away under those circumstances.

That's most likely what you're hearing and assuming that's the case, it's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page