Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #61 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I'm sitting here in Chicago waiting for the blizzard to hit and wishing I had my 95. When I placed my order, I specified regular shipping, then when news of the blizzard came out on Monday, I called OPPO to see if there was any chance it would ship on Monday, and if so, could I change to overnight so I would receive it before the blizzard hit. The guy I was speaking to contacted shipping but they couldn't confirm if it would ship yesterday, so I just left it as ground. An hour later I got a message that it shipped - ground. Dang, it would be in my hands now if I made the switch. It would have been great to be snowed in with a new toy to play with. Oh well.

This is my first OPPO, so I'm anxiously waiting to see how it fits into my system (Joseph Audio Speakers, Bel Canto monoblocks, Denon AVR-A100, Nordost cables). Looking to add a 2 channel preamp with HT passthrough if anyone has any recommendations.

I was very happy to get the manual downloaded so at least I've got some reading material while I wait for my delivery - tentatively scheduled for Friday if the weather doesn't screw that up. Keep those reviews and tips coming. They're greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by merk54 View Post

Well, I'm sitting here in Chicago waiting for the blizzard to hit and wishing I had my 95. When I placed my order, I specified regular shipping, then when news of the blizzard came out on Monday, I called OPPO to see if there was any chance it would ship on Monday, and if so, could I change to overnight so I would receive it before the blizzard hit. The guy I was speaking to contacted shipping but they couldn't confirm if it would ship yesterday, so I just left it as ground. An hour later I got a message that it shipped - ground. Dang, it would be in my hands now if I made the switch. It would have been great to be snowed in with a new toy to play with. Oh well.

This is my first OPPO, so I'm anxiously waiting to see how it fits into my system (Joseph Audio Speakers, Bel Canto monoblocks, Denon AVR-A100, Nordost cables). Looking to add a 2 channel preamp with HT passthrough if anyone has any recommendations.

I was very happy to get the manual downloaded so at least I've got some reading material while I wait for my delivery - tentatively scheduled for Friday if the weather doesn't screw that up. Keep those reviews and tips coming. They're greatly appreciated.

What player are you using now/then...

DJOel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

What player are you using now/then...

DJOel

I'm using a PS3 for Blu-Ray and a Denon DVD-2900 for everything else. I temporarily had a Denon DBP-A100, but returned it because I couldn't tolerate it's ergonomics (super slow power up and loading, DenonLink4 connectivity issues to name a few) though I was pretty happy with the audio and video it produced. I'm really hoping the 95 will be the answer I'm looking for.
post #64 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 03:12 PM

Just programmed my Harmony 1000 and about ready to pull the Denon and patch in the Oppo. But I had a nagging thought:

Does the Oppo bass mange through the stereo outs? I sure hope so. If not, I may not have a sub through stereo playbacks as my processor does not either.

Anyone know for sure?

~Bob

~Bob
post #65 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 03:32 PM

^No, for sure!
post #66 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys View Post

Hi, I'm so happy to read your messages: I have since about 10 years my father's Kef 104.2 and have since then bought 2 second hand pairs (one of which is the Raymond Cooke biwire edition which I run as fronts now). As center I use a Kef Reference 200C. I am extremely happy with their sound quality and I believe one would have to spend many thousands of $$$ to buy a surround speaker setup that equals this KEF setup.

I'm planning to buy the Oppo 95 (EU, whenever it will be released...) and use the 7.1 outs to my Sherwood P+A965 for multichannel, and the stereo outs to my vintage Luxman pre and power amp.
I think my setup "deserves" a 95 over a 93

Like some other users, the 95 will replace a Denon 3910, which I like a lot audiowise, so I hope the 95 will be an "upgrade" !

PS on a side note, I never tried the "Kube" for my Kefs, is it worth it ?

My 83 replaced a Denon DC 3300 (circa 1986) and Denon DVD 3910 (still in the system). In my opinion back in 2009, I favored both the 3300 and the 3910 for SQ and sound stage until Oppo upgraded my 83 to an 83SE and then my preference leaned on the 83SE. Realizing the 95 is brand new out of the box, I still prefer the 95 to the 3910.

michdys: I removed the Kube from my KEF 107s to determine if the Kube presence or absence was discernible. Then decided to follow Cardas' formula for speaker placement and moved the 107 further away from the side and front walls and placed myself in a nearfield listening position. I had found an article written about using the Kube (or not). The adjustments I made by physically adjusting the position of the speakers and taking cues from the article's suggestions, in my experience, were discernible (I think). The sound stage grew, the bass tightened, the noise floor lowered, the micro-dynamics improved. I left the Kube in the system. The synergy of the Kube and 83SE made my listening experience so rewarding. And typically what has not been recorded well sounds equally unrewarding.

Apologies to all, if this is moving OT, I'll paste the parts of the article concerning use of the Kube here for your attention. And to further mitigate OT, recommend you google Stereophile's review of the 107 which discusses use of the Kube. The review is too long. Information below should help you locate the review

Floorstanding Loudspeakers
KEF R107 loudspeaker

By Dick Olsher and Various November, 1986

KUBE or Not KUBE? 
That is the question, and the 107 answers in the affirmative. The KUBE cuts through several vexing problems that have traditionally compromised subwoofer designs.

Hope the foregoing was useful.
Best,
Richard
post #67 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwobbrock View Post

^No, for sure!

Hmmm. Then I have to hope the Outlaw 978 comes out sooner than expected.

~Bob
post #68 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop View Post

Hmmm. Then I have to hope the Outlaw 978 comes out sooner than expected.

If you need bass management done in the player you will need to use the multi-channel analog outputs. You could, of course, use them in a 2.1 configuration when needed. That's what you'll get anyway when you play stereo content (with LF/RF configured as Small and Sub configured as ON in the Analog Speaker Configuration settings).
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #69 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Rats, mine isn't due to be delivered until Saturday. Kudos on the Return To Forever at Montreau BD as a great reference. That's the first disc I was planning to try out in the 95.

Legends of Jazz Showcase with Ramsey Lewis is also a great BD. That is going to be #2 in queue.
post #70 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If you need bass management done in the player you will need to use the multi-channel analog outputs. You could, of course, use them in a 2.1 configuration when needed. That's what you'll get anyway when you play stereo content (with LF/RF configured as Small and Sub configured as ON in the Analog Speaker Configuration settings).
--Bob

So, does that mean that the MCH analog outs, L/R set to small, sub ON, listening to stereo tracks (w/bass management), will sound as good as the dedicated 2CH analog outs, that is a feature that will sell! That will let the 95 compete with the Denon players, as they have that capability (bass management for 2CH analog).
post #71 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by REShaman View Post

Thank you! Yes, your memory serves you well. Have not purchased any equipment yet, beyond a KEF T305 Series so I can clear floor space for music listening and use the walls for video watching.

Truth be told, I am more confused about what to buy than ever. So I am waiting for clarity and enjoying the wait/weight in the mean-time.
Hope you're enjoying your AR Preamp. (Did I get that right?)
Best,
Richard

Yes you did: http://img46.imageshack.us/i/kittykatstereo.jpg

As you well know, the fun is in figuring out what to buy. If you haven't yet check out SoM's thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1300698 Lots of great insight regarding analog vs digital systems

Thanks for your 95 comments - keep 'em coming!

Styln
post #72 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

--Bob

I drilled down to that point as well Bob. But the Stereo outs use better DAC's.

I may be able to get around this setting the sub crossover and level in analog and seeing if my proc with analog passthrough still has the sub channel active.

More in a moment since my device is now live...

~Bob

~Bob
post #73 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 06:03 PM

OK, a half hour to pull out the old Denon, another half to get my arms behind all gear with a flashlight and mirror to hook up the Oppo and it is live.

I ran through setups before trying anything. Must say the audio setup is the least intuitive I have ever seen in term of what button moves to what function. Sub level was incredibly low so I started by boosting it 10 DB, then having to trim down all other levels between 4 and 6 dB.

Everything worked except I cannot get the Network setup to accept my password. I'm on wireless, and it sees my network at a decent level, but can not get it to connect. Will work more on that.

I then went to put in my first disc in a darkened room and the tray would not eject. I panicked until I realized the protective film was still in place

Picture is glorious. Now, this is my first Blu-ray player, but the difference from standard DVD is spectacular. I am doubting I will need to do any video tweaks, but will run all the tests later tonight.

Audio sounds very good and I will only use the MCH and Stereo analogs. I have not done any critical listening to Blu-ray audio, SACD, DVD-A or even CD yet. But for movies, it is very clean, very anchored.

More to come...

~Bob

~Bob
post #74 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

But the Stereo outs use better DAC's.

The stereo outputs use the same DAC as the 7.1 outputs. Just one DAC (doubled up for the stereo) for each set (stereo vs. 7.1).
post #75 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

The stereo outputs use the same DAC as the 7.1 outputs. Just one DAC (doubled up for the stereo) for each set (stereo vs. 7.1).

OK, very soon to tell as I have been spending the time with calibration discs and frustrated I cannot join my wireless network yet, but I did put in one CD.

Initial impression, and underscore initial as I only spent a few moments, but the Denon sounded better. The Stereo outs are bright. The 5.1 sound different - a bit sweeter. And the is about a 3 dB difference in gain. I don;t recall which was hotter. Perhaps the 5.1.

So something is different between the outputs.

~Bob

~Bob
post #76 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 08:25 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

OK, very soon to tell as I have been spending the time with calibration discs and frustrated I cannot join my wireless network yet, but I did put in one CD.

Initial impression, and underscore initial as I only spent a few moments, but the Denon sounded better. The Stereo outs are bright. The 5.1 sound different - a bit sweeter. And the is about a 3 dB difference in gain. I don;t recall which was hotter. Perhaps the 5.1. So something is different between the outputs.
~Bob

that's not good!

My humble Cinema
post #77 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 08:28 PM

I know. That is why I emphasized this is a quick initial test only I could still be doing something wrong. But have to be honest, I was surprised how bright the CD was. Need to listen to more samples.

~Bob

~Bob
post #78 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Initial impression, and underscore initial as I only spent a few moments, but the Denon sounded better. The Stereo outs are bright. The 5.1 sound different - a bit sweeter. And the is about a 3 dB difference in gain. I don;t recall which was hotter. Perhaps the 5.1.

So something is different between the outputs.

~Bob

PeteTheTool will be disappointed with this report...

Styln
post #79 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 PM

Doesn't sound like the upgrade from the 83SE to the 95 will be as good as expected! May have to cancel my order! The Denon sounded better?
post #80 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 PM

OK. A few things solved. The brightness is gone and I have now balanced the inputs on the proc (which I did not need to previously, but likely not an issue) and 5.1 and stereo now have the same gain. Sounding much better, but I need a broader sample.

I do hear a difference between the MCH and Stereo outputs. Too soon to tell what.

And I am hearing static diginoise on live recordings burned to disc from wav files I have never heard on these discs before. Perhaps always there and my CD and Denon never reproduced it? Or perhaps the Oppo is having a little trouble with these discs.

Anyway, the worst first problems now solved and I can dig a little deeper.

Sorry for sounding any alarms, but it took a little for me to get all things configured right across my system so I can now listen a bit more critically.

~Bob

~Bob
post #81 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I read earlier in this thread about volume control. Can this unit hook directly into an amplifier via rca or balanced xlr, or does it need a preprocessor?
post #82 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 09:25 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I ran through setups before trying anything. Must say the audio setup is the least intuitive I have ever seen in term of what button moves to what function. Sub level was incredibly low so I started by boosting it 10 DB, then having to trim down all other levels between 4 and 6 dB.
~Bob

Bob ;theres a good reason for the low lfe ; if your pre pro has a lfe boost its better to do that there than in the player due to the risk of clipping during loud passages . From the 83 faq which applies here too ;
Quote:

The OPPO outputs analog LFE -10db when speakers are set to large and -15db when any speakers are set to small.

If you have any speaker set to small a 15db boost is required due to redirected bass from the satellite speakers Best to err on the side of caution [if you can] considering the lfe on some blurays
post #83 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK. A few things solved. The brightness is gone and I have now balanced the inputs on the proc (which I did not need to previously, but likely not an issue) and 5.1 and stereo now have the same gain. Sounding much better, but I need a broader sample.

I do hear a difference between the MCH and Stereo outputs. Too soon to tell what.

And I am hearing static diginoise on live recordings burned to disc from wav files I have never heard on these discs before. Perhaps always there and my CD and Denon never reproduced it? Or perhaps the Oppo is having a little trouble with these discs.

Anyway, the worst first problems now solved and I can dig a little deeper.

Sorry for sounding any alarms, but it took a little for me to get all things configured right across my system so I can now listen a bit more critically.

~Bob

Glad it's sounding better for you now! Care to share what caused the initial brightness in you system... proc settings?

Thanks,

Styln
post #84 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 PM

OK, last post of the night before I pack it in for today.

I know my processor is a passthrough for 5.1 but was unsure if the the stereo inputs were analog passthrough as well. Evidently they are not which is why I am hearing such a difference between the 5.1 and stereo outs of the Oppo. I am using two different bass management systems. Both are sounding good, though. But different. At the moment maybe not a fair comparison since I could easily have the two systems set a bit different.

So before anyone makes a judgment call based on my comments, remember I can still not have everything set optimally and my impressions may not yet be based on the best this player can do. Its a work in progress for me and I am beginning to get results, but not dialed in yet.

Now, I also have the Oppo set for downmixing to 5.1. I would hate to have to go through the menu structure to change that to two channel before playing a two channel disc, but would that have a major effect on the sound when listening to analog from the 5.1 outs? I have not tried it yet, but there may be a difference with those settings as well.

Last, I swore I saw a list of tips - could have been for the 93, but included things like how to bypass the opening "coming attractions" and go right to chapter one and the like. Though one or two were worth remembering and now cannot find it. Pointer appreciated. I do think it was on these forums and maybe even in someone's sig?

~Bob

~Bob
post #85 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

Bob ;theres a good reason for the low lfe ; if your pre pro has a lfe boost its better to do that there than in the player due to the risk of clipping during loud passages . From the 83 faq which applies here too ;

If you have any speaker set to small a 15db boost is required due to redirected bass from the satellite speakers Best to err on the side of caution [if you can] considering the lfe on some blurays

Thanks~! That explains why the sub was so far down. I may have overcompensated a bit for it now. Will have to double check, but I could be a few dB hot.

~Bob

~Bob
post #86 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Glad it's sounding better for you now! Care to share what caused the initial brightness in you system... proc settings?

Thanks,

Styln

I'm embarrassed to but I will. I grabbed an audience version of a recording rather than the soundboard that I know so well. Was alarming the difference.

~Bob

~Bob
post #87 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm embarrassed to but I will. I grabbed an audience version of a recording rather than the soundboard that I know so well. Was alarming the difference.

~Bob

As it should be! Thanks for the "you are there" reporting. Lots of fun to read and much appreciated.

Styln
post #88 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 PM

This is weird. I have the 95 hooked up directly to a Krell FPB 200C via balanced output. When I power the 95 down, just before it shuts completely off, the speakers make a popping sound. Not loud enough to cause damage, I hope, but loud enough to cause me concern. Anyone else have a 95 hooked directly to a power amp using XLR having the same issue? There does not seem to be a correlation between the volume setting of the 95 and the volume of the pop.
post #89 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:

Thanks~! That explains why the sub was so far down. I may have overcompensated a bit for it now. Will have to double check, but I could be a few dB hot.

~Bob

Hi Rebop,

Did you use internal tones or test disc to set .1 chan ?

Cheers Victor.

Systems

post #90 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giberson View Post

This is weird. I have the 95 hooked up directly to a Krell FPB 200C via balanced output. When I power the 95 down, just before it shuts completely off, the speakers make a popping sound. Not loud enough to cause damage, I hope, but loud enough to cause me concern. Anyone else have a 95 hooked directly to a power amp using XLR having the same issue? There does not seem to be a correlation between the volume setting of the 95 and the volume of the pop.

Unfortunately, it's not that uncommon. I always power off my amps first for exactly this reason.

But the heck with that... how does it sound?!

Styln
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page