post #901 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post

I complained to OPPO about my 93 remote which was working very similar to what the 1st poster said. They had me take out the batteries, push every button on the remote for 3 seconds, then switch the little dip switch in the battery compartment to one of the other two settings. Then replace the batteries, turn on the unit and hold the enter button until the OPPO displayed the fact that it picked up the change. The remote became slightly more responsive but still very sluggish for an expensive unit. They offered to replace it but did say it is just how the remote works. After doing the above, my Harmony One failed to control the OPPO anymore and had to re-learn several commands before it worked properly again.

I just use the Harmony as much as possible since you can pretty much point it anywhere and still work properly. The OPPO remote has to be pointed directly at it's receiver to work and the buttons are terrible needing to be pressed directly in the middle to even work.

Your Harmony command set stopped working because the last two steps of what you did with the Oppo remote switched the player to look for one of the two alternate command sets. Your reprogramming of the Harmony fixed that of course, but you could also have just returned the Oppo and the Oppo remote back to the original command set and the original Harmony programming would then have worked.

---------------------------------------------

The sensitivity problem with the Oppo remote appears to be more an issue with the IR receiver in the player than in the remote. I'm not sure if it just needs more light or if it has a narrower angle to acquire the light from the remote as compared to the 83. The remote shipped with the 93 is identical to the one shipped with the 83 which doesn't seem to be generating comments like this.

The Harmony works better because it puts out much more light than the Oppo remote. It's the difference between using a flood light and a pen flashlight -- the pen flashlight has to be aimed more whereas the flood light lights up the whole room.

----------------------------------------------

I don't find the mechanical button presses on the Oppo remote to be out of line with other remotes. If you are having trouble getting the Oppo remote to register button presses, then you really should take up Oppo on their offer to swap it out for you.

To test this, get right in front of the player so that there's no doubt at all the player is picking up the signal from the remote assuming the button press is actually sensed by the remote. Then if you still have problems getting button presses to work it must be the buttons on your particular remote as opposed to any issue of the player picking up the signal from the remote.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I had a sensitivity problem with my 93 remote and Oppo sent a replacement and it works much better. The remote that came with my 95 worked good out of the box. Sometimes pointing it at the TV and letting it bounce back to the player works better than pointing it in the direction of the player for me.
My first remote had "sticky" keys that didn't press smoothly. If you have a remote that does this I would definitely have Oppo replace it.
post #903 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
If you are having problems with the Oppo remote, of course the first thing to try is a new set of batteries. Even brand new batteries might simply be faulty. It happens.

The Oppo remotes have the unusual characteristic that the backlight will light up full brightness when your press a button even though the batteries are so weak that the IR commands aren't being sent properly. The classic symptom of weak batteries is that several commands done in rapid series don't work, but the same commands work fine if you allow some time to pass between each button press. This is just the weak batteries recovering a bit between button presses.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #904 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have any of you 95 owners (preferably, a projector user) compared its video quality to that of the PS3? If so, what do you think?

Thanks.
post #905 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by atodzia View Post

I had a sensitivity problem with my 93 remote and Oppo sent a replacement and it works much better. The remote that came with my 95 worked good out of the box. Sometimes pointing it at the TV and letting it bounce back to the player works better than pointing it in the direction of the player for me.
My first remote had "sticky" keys that didn't press smoothly. If you have a remote that does this I would definitely have Oppo replace it.

Looks like there is variability in both the Oppo IR transmitters and receivers. Don's 95 was sitting on top of my 83SE and both were controlled with my 83 remote. By pointing off center, I could easily control just the 83 but never just the 95.

Styln
post #906 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Thanks for you guys' effort. I would really love to get your (or anyone else's) impressions listening to any of the following RedBook titles using the BDP-95 via 2ch RCA or XLR:
1. Herbie Hancock- "River: The Joni Letters"
2. Jackson Brown- "Time The Conqueror"
3. Lee Ritenour- "Six String Theory"
4. Wayne Shorter- "Alegria"
5. Joni Mitchell- "Shine"

Highly recommend the newly remastered Neil Young Harvest HDCD. Incredible sonic clarity and craftsmanship.

Styln
post #907 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 03:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

You are welcome! Of course I has great fun tearing my system apart, level setting, syncing, listening, tearing my system apart, level setting, syncing, listening, repeat indefinitely But the end result, meeting Don and making a new friend, was well worth it

I cannot say if we've reached the peak on redbook play black. I can say that the Oppo 83SE and 95 stereo outputs sounded virtually identical to Don and I on two very good systems. If I had to categorize them I'd say mine is musical and excels at imaging. Therefore, if there was a sound stage, placement, depth, or imaging difference, my system will pick it up. Don's system has an extremely dynamic and detailed sound. Before we hooked my MF A3CR pre-amp up to it, (he had the 95 directly connected to the Krell) it sounded powerful, while projecting small and thin. With that pre-amp, the middle filled in and the sound stage blossomed. WOW what an improvement! At Don's we listened near-field which amplified those characteristic. So any difference in attack, micro-dynamics, or sustain, would be apparent. As you can see, these are two very different systems.

Something else to consider is that while neither Don or I are old geezers, neither are we spring chickens. So if all the incredible sonic differences between these players is happening in the upper registers, then neither of us could have heard it and a young person might give you an entirely different finding.

Ahhh, just enjoying (not critically) listening to my system again

Styln

I am in the process of deciding whether or nor to audition the BDP-95 for 2-channel music playback with the hope that if I trade in my BDP-93 for the BDP-95 it would be good enough to also replace my current stand alone 5 yr old Meridian G08 (originally costing $4000). Does anyone have an opinion on how this Oppo Bdp-95 stacks up against a 5 yr old relatively hi-end stand alone CD player? Everyone is evaluating it in comparison to the BDP-93 or last years 83SE but I have not heard anyone's assessment of how it stacks up with a stand alone CD player (especially one a few years old). Has digital progressed that much that it is possible to replace a 5 yr old $4000 CD player with a $1000 "combination" player?
If it will not what is your opinion of the value of upgrading to the 95 using it just for movies(using the 2-channel outputs)?
PLEASE HELP if you have experience in this area. See my thread #865 on Feb 14th for a list of my associated gear. I am listed as Vikkiandkurt ( I am Kurt). I would be VERY GRATEFUL for any help in deciding whether or not to have a 95 shipped out to audition;I do not want to waste my time if it a "pipe dream"!!!!
post #908 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 04:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Looks like there is variability in both the Oppo IR transmitters and receivers. Don's 95 was sitting on top of my 83SE and both were controlled with my 83 remote. By pointing off center, II could easily control just the 83 butnever just the 95.

Styln

I am a new Oppo owner with the BDP-95. I have noticed that the remote with the 95 is less sensitive than any of the other remotes I have used on my system. I have a concealed rack, and I am using a xantech ir sensor/hub with cables for control. The harmony, and various other remotes, denon, da-lite, panasonic, are all much more sensitive. I find myself needing to hold down the Oppo remote buttons for a long time before the 95 will recognize the commands. YMMV
post #909 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 04:50 PM

How about a comparison between 95 against other sabre based dac like audio gd?
post #910 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 05:19 PM

I improved the remote issue by slightly angling the BDP-95 towards me.
Sa
post #911 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikkiandkurt View Post

I am in the process of deciding whether or nor to audition the BDP-95 for 2-channel music playback with the hope that if I trade in my BDP-93 for the BDP-95 it would be good enough to also replace my current stand alone 5 yr old Meridian G08 (originally costing $4000). Does anyone have an opinion on how this Oppo Bdp-95 stacks up against a 5 yr old relatively hi-end stand alone CD player? Everyone is evaluating it in comparison to the BDP-93 or last years 83SE but I have not heard anyone's assessment of how it stacks up with a stand alone CD player (especially one a few years old). Has digital progressed that much that it is possible to replace a 5 yr old $4000 CD player with a $1000 "combination" player?
If it will not what is your opinion of the value of upgrading to the 95 using it just for movies(using the 2-channel outputs)?
PLEASE HELP if you have experience in this area. See my thread #865 on Feb 14th for a list of my associated gear. I am listed as Vikkiandkurt ( I am Kurt). I would be VERY GRATEFUL for any help in deciding whether or not to have a 95 shipped out to audition;I do not want to waste my time if it a "pipe dream"!!!!

Its been compared against a Krell KPS 28C CD player by atodzia http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...c#post19959818
post #912 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 06:32 PM

[quote=sillysally;20001791]
Quote:

Ahh a DIY, nice job,

My guess is the BD-95 will pair well with those headphones. The very nice highs of the 95 should add a nice lift for your LCD2 and the bass impact and speed of the 95 should sound great with the great bass of the LCD2.
You really know how to get the best bang for your buck.
There are some coming over from HeadFi because of the new BD-95 thread on AVS. So please post your impressions here, it probably will take at least 20 hours + of burn-in for the highs of the 95 to click in. Also the 95 may improve the sound-stage of your very good headphones.

My HE-6's are on there way back from China, fang is sending me a new pair replacing my old HE-6's so I am dying to hear how they pair with the BD-95.

Whats the Watts per Ch @ 50 ohm with your amp?

ss

Look forward to your impressions of the 95 paired with the HE-6. I plan to use it as my primary 2ch source > tube amp > HE-6.
post #913 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

Its been compared against a Krell KPS 28C CD player by atodzia http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...c#post19959818

As an additional comparison I also compared the XLR analog outputs to the coaxial digital out feeding a Channel Island DAC (which costs less than the 95) and the Oppo sounded better to me. I can't remember the details of what I heard but it only took about 5 - 10 minutes of listening before I came to my conclusion and dis-connected the coaxial output cable.
post #914 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Intriqued by the 95 - anyone had a chance to compare audio quality with one of the Nuforce versions of the BDP-83 SE?
post #915 of 11233 Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
[quote=wuwhere;20011736]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Look forward to your impressions of the 95 paired with the HE-6. I plan to use it as my primary 2ch source > tube amp > HE-6.

Got my HE-6 back yesterday from China, I am burning-in them in now.
Because Fang was kind enough to send me a new pair of the HE-6's its going to take a few days to burn in, same as my last pair of HE-6.
Very early impressions are that the 95 seems to pairs better with the HE-6 than did my 83SE/NE. The interesting thing is that I am hearing pretty much the same thing when I first got the HE-6 and used my 83SE/NE, the deep 3-D sound-stage is not there yet and the detail is not there yet. Also the dynamic range of the HE-6 has not really opened up yet.
So as I said this is a very early opinion.

ss

Update; still early but from what I am hearing the 95 is a must have particularly for MC with the HE-6, as were if you are using something like the HD-800's and have say a BD-83SE/NE then I would say keep your money.
For a little better understanding see my post, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20013129

"Don't worry be happy"

post #916 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by merk54 View Post

First of all, great selection of music you have there. I especially like the strong Joni Mitchell associations. Of your list, I've only listened to Joni's "Shine". For some reason, this RedBook disk has become a reference disk for me when ever I'm auditioning new equipment, and to my ears, a perfect choice to show off the strengths of the 95

thanks. You hit the nail on the head, I am a huge Joni Mitchell [music] fan, and all the many players she's employed in her recordings throughout her career, especially- Jaco Pastorius, Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny, Wayne Shorter, Tom Scott, John Guerin, Robben Ford, Victor Feldman, Max Bennet, Larry Carlton, Wilton Felder, Joe Samples, Don Alias, Airto, Alex Acuña and more. I own just about every Joni Mitchell release, including all of her HDCD versions.

I eventually realized (after much reading and research) that Joni, through her multi-year multi-album deal with Warner Music, was able to employ just about any and every popular studio musician and group in existence (during each period) whom she was eager to use for recording and/or touring. Money was no object. At one point she was essentially backed by "The Crusaders", then "Tom Scott and the L.A. Express", then "Weather Report", then "Pat Metheny Group", etc.,...later years included- Russel Ferrante (Yellow Jackets), Larry Klein, Vinnie Colaiuta (Sting), Kim Hutchcroft & Larry Williams & Jerry Hey (Seawind). Not even to mention all the collaborations with major pop singer/composers, including- James Taylor, Chaka Khan, Peter Gabriel, Lionel Richie, Graham Nash, David Crosby, Neil Young and more. This is what draws me to her music more than anything else.

My other more popular favorite is Miles Davis, and the many famous musicians that were spawned from his groups, including- Chick Corea, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Joe Zawinul, Tony Williams, Darryl Jones, John Scofield, Airto, and many others (awe, notice the Joni connections here?).

I'm a huge concert goer, I've been lucky to have seen many of the mentioned players "live" over the years, so I have a real appreciation for the many respective recordings out there (CD's, SACD's, DVD-A's, HDCD's), and having a capable enough system worthy of playing these many recordings.

Actually I have an extensive vinyl collection stored in my garage featuring many of these original albums (LP's) which were bought during the days when they were actually released (giving my age away, huh). I would buy all these same recordings over-and-over again years later in the form of cassette tapes (remember those things?) and CD's. But I refuse to jump into a turntable (and a "DiscWasher", etc.,...) again, it's just too much of a hassle (maybe one day, we'll see)

But yes, Joni Mitchell "Shine" is just such a beautifully textured and rich sounding recording. Her voice really stands out fine, a great mid-range test. This disc has become one of my "references" as well.

Quote:

For reference purposes, my system consists of BDP-95 > XLR > Bel Canto Pre3Preamp > XLR > Bel Canto Reference 1000 Monoblocks > Nordost SPM Reference Speaker wire > Joseph Audio Peals

wow, very nice set-up! I've read very good things about the Bel Canto pre-amp's and amp's (very unique sounding?)

Quote:

You didn't mention Joni's Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, but I've got to go there first. This is always the first CD I pop in whenever I'm auditioning new equipment. The Overture has some of my favorite bass playing on it. When Jaco hits that first killer note, it's knocks me out every time. If you are looking for a demo disk for great bass playing, you can't go wrong with this track (or the rest of the CD for that matter). The 95 produced Jaco's bass with amazing depth and clarity. Extremely musical. The best my system has ever sounded. For reference, I was replacing a fairly old Denon DVD-2900 so I was expecting to be impressed and I definitely was

I love "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter", probably one of my favorites, partly because of Jaco's presence. Jaco's bass sound really was a voice in-itself, never really re-created by anyone. But this album has some beautiful symphony-like movements featuring varying exchanges of Joni's acoustic guitar, piano and voice surrounded by jazz-rock ensemble. This is apparent on "Paprika Plains". Then I really love the soulful "Jericho", "Talk To Me". This recording is excellent and sounds wonderful on my system, dynamic and balanced.

I especially love the compositions on "The Hissing of Summer Lawns ", especially the title track itself. However the recording quality was'nt so wonderful.

I have equal love for "Hejira", very good recording.

Quote:

As for Shine, this CD turned some people off due to the primary use of synths, but I've found it to be extremely enjoyable to listen to on a good quality system. Joni is a master with textures, and Shine has textures galore. This is a CD where details make the difference and as stated numerous times before, the 95 does details very well! I found the 95 presented a very open sound stage, and gave the synths a very open feel with plenty of room to move. The sound stage is simply breathing with life. This disk is loaded with layers and nuance, and the 95 reproduces them beautifully. To me, it has a very enveloping feel to it. The line that comes to mind is being awash in the music. There is nothing sterile or cold about the sound at all. Of course, Joni's voice sounds great as well. The 95 does a great job in reproducing the emotion in her voice. You can hear the years of experience, life, and the tolls of smoking. People talk about being carried away by the music. When listening to this disk on my system, I am definitely carried away. This is highly recommended RedBook disk to use when auditioning the 95 because the sound stage is so nuanced, the textures are gorgeous, and Joni's voice centers it all perfectly. While the bass isn't really featured a great deal on this CD, you always have DJRD or Hejira for that - they both prove that the 95 can deliver very deep, controlled and musical bass

wow, great sound impressions on "Shine", you are really right on, thanks. This recording gives me memories of here older albums in the way the arrangements are done (slightly similiar to "Court And Spark"?). The beggining movement featuring Joni's piano surrounded by soprano sax, and orchestra. But it is very richly textured and warm.

Quote:

I think I'll go home tonight and check out the Herbie Hancock!

yes, the "Court And Spark" cover sung by Norah Jones is outrageous. Be curious to get your sound impressions of this on your system. A good test for female vocal.
post #917 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Highly recommend the newly remastered Neil Young Harvest HDCD. Incredible sonic clarity and craftsmanship

thanks. I heard others comment very well on this recording. I will definitely get this. Neil Young seems very big in high-resolution releases (DVD-A, BD-A).
post #918 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonsc View Post

Intriqued by the 95 - anyone had a chance to compare audio quality with one of the Nuforce versions of the BDP-83 SE?

Yes I had a BD-83SE/NE and yes I really enjoyed it.
I guess you are asking the difference in AQ. My opinion is that it is very dependent on your audio system. If you have a audio system that matchs well with the 95 then you will probably find the LFE Ch (low bass) is more refined (less roll-off, lower floor) along with a little bigger dynamic range. So there for because of the larger dynamic range the 95 gives you deeper lows and higher highs and a little better sound-stage. Also please keep in mind that these pluses are not night and day, and it is more noticeable with HQ BD movie sound tracks as apposed to the 2Ch dedicated analog that you would use for CD music.

If you are coming from a BD-83SE and really like detail along with a much cleaner and clearer sound then I would say yes upgrade, but coming from a BD-83SE/NE I would say don't sell your 83SE/NE until you try the 95.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #919 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

THANK YOU my friend for referring me to Atodzia's comparison of the BDP-95 to the Krell KPS 28C "stand alone" CD player. That is exactly the info that I am looking for. If anyone else has compared the BDP-95 to CD players about 5 years old in the $4000 price range I would be VERY GRATEFUL!!!
post #920 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:

I guess you are asking the difference in AQ. My opinion is that it is very dependent on your audio system. If you have a audio system that matchs well with the 95 then you will probably find the LFE Ch (low bass) is more refined (less roll-off, lower floor) along with a little bigger dynamic range. So there for because of the larger dynamic range the 95 gives you deeper lows and higher highs and a little better sound-stage. Also please keep in mind that these pluses are not night and day, and it is more noticeable with HQ BD movie sound tracks as apposed to the 2Ch dedicated analog that you would use for CD music.

If you are coming from a BD-83SE and really like detail along with a much cleaner and clearer sound then I would say yes upgrade, but coming from a BD-83SE/NE I would say don't sell your 83SE/NE until you try the 95.

ss

SS, STYLN, DON GIBERSON.

Thank you for all the work and effort making the comparisons of the 83SE and the 95 Audio Quality!! Many of us are on the fence regarding the upgrade from the 83SE. Your reviews with different equipment and ears is greatly appreciated.
I'm sold on the MCH. difference, along with the media improvments with FLAC, and other formats. also the quieter fan.

Would you kind gentlemen do some comparisons on the VIDEO QUALITY, and the differences please?
I have many standard def. dvd's and the VRS chip in the 83SE does a fine job with the upscaled video.
Would I lose some PQ. buying the 95?
I understand the Marvel chip in the 95 is better with video noise reduction, but how good are the upscale properties? Are they close? Is it night and day, or just a subtle difference I.Y.H.O. ?

What's up with the remote issues, and small text on the display?
Why does OPPO cheap out on these things? Didn't they do any research?
I know they had a beta test program. Seems like they could have fixed the remote problem before it hit the street ie, stronger remote signal, or different sensor. Why not do your homework instead of rushing it out the door. The money will still come but with more satisfaction from the consumer.

Just like the 83SE, they should have put the 9018 DACS all around, then we would all be satisfied.

My order is in for the 95, but reluctantly so!!!
I hope they fix the remote, many people are complaining about it.
$1000.00 Player should not have problems with the remote PERIOD!!!

Regards,

John
post #921 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dart383 View Post

SS, STYLN, DON GIBERSON.

Thank you for all the work and effort making the comparisons of the 83SE and the 95 Audio Quality!! Many of us are on the fence regarding the upgrade from the 83SE. Your reviews with different equipment and ears is greatly appreciated.
I'm sold on the MCH. difference, along with the media improvments with FLAC, and other formats. also the quieter fan.

Would you kind gentlemen do some comparisons on the VIDEO QUALITY, and the differences please?
I have many standard def. dvd's and the VRS chip in the 83SE does a fine job with the upscaled video.
Would I lose some PQ. buying the 95?
I understand the Marvel chip in the 95 is better with video noise reduction, but how good are the upscale properties? Are they close? Is it night and day, or just a subtle difference I.Y.H.O. ?

What's up with the remote issues, and small text on the display?
Why does OPPO cheap out on these things? Didn't they do any research?
I know they had a beta test program. Seems like they could have fixed the remote problem before it hit the street ie, stronger remote signal, or different sensor. Why not do your homework instead of rushing it out the door. The money will still come but with more satisfaction from the consumer.

Just like the 83SE, they should have put the 9018 DACS all around, then we would all be satisfied.

My order is in for the 95, but reluctantly so!!!
I hope they fix the remote, many people are complaining about it.
$1000.00 Player should not have problems with the remote PERIOD!!!

Regards,

John

Hi John,

I don't view many SD disc anymore but I know a little something about calibration. So judging from from the PQ using deep color 36bit color space 4:4:4, for Blu Ray I would think you will not be disappointed with the 95.

As for the remote yes Oppo could have done a better job, but I don't find it to be underpowered and most of the time I don't point it at my 95.I think you just have to get use to it. Once I get done testing it and different equipment with it I will go back to my Harmony 890. Not because I dislike the Oppo remote but because I use more than 1 disc player and other equipment.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #922 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

I had no idea anyone here actually uses manufacturer supplied remotes for day-to-day operation?
post #923 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 AM

I have a "dumb" question (I think) needing answering;
Will I be able to play and listen to CD's of all types on the Oppo 95 through my analog/digital sound system -just as if it were a regular CD player? I plan on using the 95 (or possibly 93) as a replacement for my current older Mac CD player as well as for all the other features(DVD, Blu Ray movies, 3D, decoding the new sound formats,etc.,etc.). I guess as a hybrid system. I will be running this through my Outlaw 950 prepro(no HDMI),but connect the HDMI directly to my new Panny 3D TV.

Thanks for input!
post #924 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:

ss

Thanks Silly - I am particularly interested in AQ. I have the 83SE/NE (primarily for 2 channel & MC music - rather than HT) & really enjoy it. I was intrigued by the 95 but reading this thread & the other info I've found, got the impression that it wasn't a significant AQ advance over the 83SE - let alone the 83SE/NE. Your response modifies that impression a little but doesn't seem as if there's much of a gap - audio wise - between the modded 83SE & the stock 95.
post #925 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadmeister66 View Post

I have a "dumb" question (I think) needing answering;
Will I be able to play and listen to CD's of all types on the Oppo 95 through my analog/digital sound system -just as if it were a regular CD player? I plan on using the 95 (or possibly 93) as a replacement for my current older Mac CD player as well as for all the other features(DVD, Blu Ray movies, 3D, decoding the new sound formats,etc.,etc.). I guess as a hybrid system. I will be running this through my Outlaw 950 prepro(no HDMI),but connect the HDMI directly to my new Panny 3D TV.

Thanks for input!

Here is a list of disc formats that the Oppo 93/95 will play.

BD-Video, Blu-ray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, AVCHD, SACD, CD, HDCD,
Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE, BD-R/RE DL

So yes the Oppo will work like a CD player, you just have to make adjustments to the settings for best performance.

And yes using analog outs (RCA) of the Oppo for audio and HDMI for video is good and will work very well.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #926 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 AM

Follow-up to my question above today;

How the re-clocking issue relate to my question?
post #927 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Here is a list of disc formats that the Oppo 93/95 will play.

BD-Video, Blu-ray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, AVCHD, SACD, CD, HDCD,
Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE, BD-R/RE DL

So yes the Oppo will work like a CD player, you just have to make adjustments to the settings for best performance.

And yes using analog outs (RCA) of the Oppo for audio and HDMI for video is good and will work very well.

ss

What do you mean by "adjustments?
post #928 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Now that I have an 83SE here to compliment the standard 83 (thanks Jon) I will say that the 95 trumps them all even with the "analytical" AKG K1000s. The 83 is probably the warmest of the 3, with the 83SE being the coldest. The 95 is just more detailed than the 83 and more refined than either the 83 or 83SE. Dead Can Dance SACD just sounds REAL.

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

post #929 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadmeister66 View Post
What do you mean by "adjustments?
Setting adjustments in the Oppo, like how many speakers you are using or just stereo, DSD or PCM, HDMI audio off. ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post
Now that I have an 83SE here to compliment the standard 83 (thanks Jon) I will say that the 95 trumps them all even with the "analytical" AKG K1000s. The 83 is probably the warmest of the 3, with the 83SE being the coldest. The 95 is just more detailed than the 83 and more refined than either the 83 or 83SE. Dead Can Dance SACD just sounds REAL.
I love it, there seems to be a bunch of high end headphone users looking at the BD-95 as well they should.

Yes you are right, now if you really want to confuse the issue try a BD-83SE/NE its not that black and white.

Or if you really want to blow your mind, add a SVS Realiser and PRIR's from AIX sound studio. Now play your SACD's in MC(5.!) and DSD using the 95.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #930 of 11233 Old 02-16-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikkiandkurt View Post
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...d#post18079427

FYI - It is not that the 83SE blows the MF 3DCD away; it doesn't. It's that it sounds just as good. Yes, you should audition the 95 and let us know how you think it compares in your system.

Styln

PS click on my name up and to the left to see my system
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page