Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1051 of 11233 Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks, Bill. That explains it. Not sure why DTS does this but it does. Maybe this is associated with trying to get composite output on DTS-MA encoded discs.

Under "snow promised again" Seattle skies, Gill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
In addition, comments from the AIX disc author on this are here: Why am I not getting sound when using the AIX Records DTS-MA 7.1 Channel Identification test?

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Did anyone hear about the new Ayre is a rexxxxxed / OEM Oppo 95 ?

My gear & my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1053 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 04:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Did anyone hear about the new Ayre is a rexxxxxed / OEM Oppo 95 ?

I didn't know there was a new one. Charles Hansen has always been very open about the one adapted from the BDP-83; you could ask in the current Ayre thread.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #1054 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 06:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

In my opinion your goal for movies should be to set up a proper surround sound system. You'll get more gain from that then trying to reach for another step up with just two speakers.
--Bob

Forgive me Bob if this is a duplicate message to you but I wanted to express my appreciation for your input regarding my question of whether or not it was worth the money to return my 93 for the 95 if I was just going to use it for movies(using the 2-channel analog outs). I have read many of you posts Bob and have a great deal of respect for your opinion. Unfortunately for both financial reasons as well as living in a condo with no attic or crawl space to run surround sound wiring that is not an option. In light of that do you think it is a waste of money? I welcome ALL others input!!!
post #1055 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

The remaining -5dB is to allow additional headroom for steered bass in case you have any speakers set to "Small" in the player. Due to recommendations from Dolby the -15dB is maintained even if all speakers are set to "Large".

If that is true then I think that is wrong. I had a discussion directly with Dolby in the past, and their recommendation was -10dB if there are no crossovers in place (in other words, all speakers at large).

This has been the behaviour with the Sony S5000ES blu-ray player (with 7.1 analogue outputs), the Toshiba HD-DVD XE1 (with analogue outputs), and various other legacy players such as the Lexicon RT-10 (and related Marantz and Pioneer equivalents).

All of these players correctly output only -10dB to the LFE when no crossovers are in use. My Lexicon MC-12 correctly boosts for the -10dB. It has no ability to ADD further to the LFE, only cut it. So you would have to -5dB all other lines from the Oppo which would decrease SNR.

So if you are correct that the Oppo is at -15dB then that has just spoilt it for all Lexicon legacy processor owners. And I think its technically incorrect and should be changed.
post #1056 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

If that is true then I think that is wrong. I had a discussion directly with Dolby in the past, and their recommendation was -10dB if there are no crossovers in place (in other words, all speakers at large).

This has been the behaviour with the Sony S5000ES blu-ray player (with 7.1 analogue outputs), the Toshiba HD-DVD XE1 (with analogue outputs), and various other legacy players such as the Lexicon RT-10 (and related Marantz and Pioneer equivalents).

All of these players correctly output only -10dB to the LFE when no crossovers are in use. My Lexicon MC-12 correctly boosts for the -10dB. It has no ability to ADD further to the LFE, only cut it. So you would have to -5dB all other lines from the Oppo which would decrease SNR.

So if you are correct that the Oppo is at -15dB then that has just spoilt it for all Lexicon legacy processor owners. And I think its technically incorrect and should be changed.

Hi JonStatt,

I'm using the 95 with my Lexicon MC-12, and I think it sounds great.

I used external test tones from the AIX disc to trim the analog output levels on the OPPO. This resulted (after fine-tuning by ear) in a +4.0dB setting in the OPPO LFE level. Meanwhile, I left all the settings of the Lex (set by its internal test tones) alone, thus managing digital inputs as before. I've tried the analog output with Blu-ray and it seems to be perfect. Does that seem sensible?
--Jim
post #1057 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

SaM:

Thanks for the addendum to your earlier great review. I'd never thought that the 95 has such a high resolution enough to reveal deficiencies in your system. This is insane indeed, really cool imo. I guess others who were less than impressed with the 95 might have to reconsider their opinions as well

I think broad statements about any components, especially in this price range, may not be 100% accurate. The interaction between components, including cables used with the components, can be surprising.

In the last few days I experimented with some Audience power cords. I won't detail all the different combinations involved other to say it involved using / not using monster power unit, direct to wall versus power unit, and comparison in sound using Siltech, Audience, and stock power cables.

Going direct to the wall plug (dedicated 30 amp) with an Audience power cable greatly improved the sound of my Krell preamp, which in turn, greatly improved the sound of the BDP-95 and took away a lot of the metallic, thin sound that I didn't like with the BDP-95. Putting an Audience power cable on the BDP-95 made it sound worse. Putting an Audience power cable on my Krell CD player into the Monster unit greatly improved the sound and increased the gap between how good it sounded compared to the BDP-95 (which I think is still good). Also, the Siltech power cable did not sound good on the BDP-95.

The BDP-95 is a nice unit for the price point, but generalizations because it is using the newest "state of the art" dacs, remind me a bit of when CD was first introduced as "Perfect Sound" by Sony and then they came out with SACD and now companies are doing 24/192 downloads and DVDs.

The reviews of the Nuforce upgrade to the 95 should be interesting. Giving that they are dealing with the constraints of the space within the BDP-95 case makes me wonder what they can do to justify a $1,500 charge for the upgrade (I believe the power supply is one item they are improving, which should help).

Andy
post #1058 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikkiandkurt View Post

Forgive me Bob if this is a duplicate message to you but I wanted to express my appreciation for your input regarding my question of whether or not it was worth the money to return my 93 for the 95 if I was just going to use it for movies(using the 2-channel analog outs). I have read many of you posts Bob and have a great deal of respect for your opinion. Unfortunately for both financial reasons as well as living in a condo with no attic or crawl space to run surround sound wiring that is not an option. In light of that do you think it is a waste of money? I welcome ALL others input!!!

If you are on a limited budget and just going to use it for movies you might want to get the 93. If you are also going to use it for DVD and Blu-ray concerts, SACD, or DVD-A, you may enjoy the 95 more. I have both players in two different systems and started with the 93 in my main 2 channel audio system.

Andy
post #1059 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post

Hi JonStatt,

I'm using the 95 with my Lexicon MC-12, and I think it sounds great.

I used external test tones from the AIX disc to trim the analog output levels on the OPPO. This resulted (after fine-tuning by ear) in a +4.0dB setting in the OPPO LFE level. Meanwhile, I left all the settings of the Lex (set by its internal test tones) alone, thus managing digital inputs as before. I've tried the analog output with Blu-ray and it seems to be perfect. Does that seem sensible?
--Jim

Hi Jim,

Just so I am clear, on the Lexicon you changed nothing at all to any levels? Are you saying that on the Oppo you can set the LFE to +4/5dB to cancel out the extra -5dB I am concerned about? Normally on previous equipment I have tried you can only set these numbers negative and not positive. So if you can set LFE positively then that's fine.

I still think the Oppo default of -15dB for LFE without any crossovers is wrong, but if you can cancel out at least 5dB of that, then it is easy to work around it.

Cheers,
Jonathan
post #1060 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:

Yes, sorry to be a wet blanket, but I think it is a waste of money. If *ALL* you are going to use the player for is movies, and if your *ONLY* option is 2.0 analog output from the player into a stereo speaker pair, then stick with the 93.

A tremendous amount of the enjoyment in modern movies comes from the sophistication of their surround audio tracks. Movies can, of course, sound very good on just two speakers, but don't kid yourself that you are really hearing the movie properly.

A subtle improvement in playing a 2.0 downmix just isn't worth it compared to what you are losing. For *MOVIES* it isn't worth reaching for that last few steps of perfection for just a stereo speaker pair.

You might as well ask me if a subtle improvement would be worth the money in a black and white display. I don't care HOW good you can get that black and white display. It's just not the same.

I suggest you go to a high end dealer and do the comparison yourself: A high end 2.0 speaker setup playing a stereo down-mix of a good, modern movie track vs. a decent surround setup (including a good subwoofer!) playing that same track. See the sticky thread in the Blu-ray software forum here that ranks discs by audio quality. Use some of the Reference Quality discs for this test.

Next, explain your room problem and budget to the dealer and see what can be done. I think you'll be surprised at just how far you can go with smaller surround speakers, narrow gauge wire run around the baseboards, and a decent, HDMI-equipped receiver with a stereo analog home theater bypass that lets you keep your existing stereo setup for music. Yours is not an uncommon problem and any decent high-end dealer will have options for you -- admittedly not for a total $500 tab, but still within reason.

My point is, you don't HAVE TO match the quality of your existing stereo setup to get MORE enjoyment from a surround setup for movies. Oh, and HDMI from the 93 will work just fine for movies into your shiny new receiver!
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #1061 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:

As it turns out, I agree with you that it would be a more sophisticated solution for the Oppo to automatically switch to -10dB down on the LFE output in the case where all speakers are set to "Large". But the point is moot as I'll explain below.

The Dolby design documents that makers refer to on this actually specify both approaches for the analog subwoofer output (-15dB down all the time vs. -15dB down if ANY speakers are Small and -10dB down if ALL speakers are Large), with no particular recommendation between them. In particular, in the bass frequencies, noise floor is not an issue. And having had to explain why things change more times than I care to remember, I can tell you that the second approach is definitely more confusing for users.

But again, you can make it work that way if you want.

With all speakers set to Large in the Oppo, no bass steering is happening. And that means the extra attenuation of -5dB is not NECESSARY to prevent the possibility of clipping the input of the pre-amp or sub you are wired to. And so it is perfectly safe to just set the sub output volume trim in the Oppo to +5dB and leave it there.

And then you are done! With all speakers Large, the only thing going out on the sub output is LFE content and that will now be -10dB down compared to the other speaker channels just as you want for use with the multi-channel analog input of your Lexicon.

Again, for folks coming into this conversation late, *ALL* of the above applies *ONLY* to the multi-channel analog outputs. This stuff is handled automatically on the digital audio outputs, and the Oppo settings being discussed here have no effect on the digital audio outputs.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #1062 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Waste of money
post #1063 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

My sentiments exactly! Watching modern day movies in stereo is very rare nowadays and is so '70s imo. I have a bunch of stereo DVD's (Elvis movies and such) and just watch them in one of the many matrixed stero formats such as Neo6, DPLII etc.

I just want to point out that high quality 2 channel sound will give better surround sound than mediocre or even mid level 7.1 in my experience.

The first time I noticed it I hooked up my new Arcam avr300 and put a movie on. I was immediately struck by two improvements compared to the old avr200: First, the dialogue was much more clear and natural sounding. Second, the imaging was greatly improved, especially the right-left panning and depth of sound field.
The third thing I noticed was that the dialogue was kind of weak, but when I turned up the center by ear (I had done no setup procedures yet) it didn't increase in volume.

So then I found that the receiver had been previously set up for stereo use only... I had been listening in stereo, but had been fooled by the depth of the sound field into thinking I was hearing other channels. And the net effect was a great improvement not only in sound quality, but sound field in comparison to a 5.1 setup using identical equipment except a (significantly) lesser receiver. My brother had previously talked about the same phenomena with his Bryston/stratus gold setup but I had written it off as exageration.

Of course the system, room and listening position has to be set up properly, and sitting anywhere else but the prime listening location will destroy the sound field, but if you can live with one primary listening position and 2 channel music is your primary use, IMO there is no need to go the surround sound. But if you go this route don't expect anyone sitting outside the sweet spot to be happy.

If anyone happens to try this with the 95 it would sure be an interesting post...

edit2: I should clarify I was listening to DVDs, not BDs.

Oppo BDP-95
Bryston 3B-ST 2ch on mains
Lexicon 512 5ch
PSB Stratus Gold mains
PSB C6i center
Rythmik FV15HP
Paradigm ADP-370 surrounds
cheap energy rear speakers
post #1064 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atodzia View Post

If you are on a limited budget and just going to use it for movies you might want to get the 93. If you are also going to use it for DVD and Blu-ray concerts, SACD, or DVD-A, you may enjoy the 95 more. I have both players in two different systems and started with the 93 in my main 2 channel audio system.

Andy

Thank you Andy and Bob(as well as ALL the others who have graciously given their advice);I AM GRATEFUL for your expertise and your honest appraisal regarding my use of the 93 vs 95 for strictly movie use(using the 2-channel analog outs) as well as answering my former questions about comparing the 95 to my 5 yr old Meridian.
You have ALL saved me a lot of work by sharing your experiences with me. I am truly humbled by the breadth of knowledge that you all have. I feel like a barn animal in comparison to you guys!!
post #1065 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Hi Jim,

Just so I am clear, on the Lexicon you changed nothing at all to any levels? Are you saying that on the Oppo you can set the LFE to +4/5dB to cancel out the extra -5dB I am concerned about? Normally on previous equipment I have tried you can only set these numbers negative and not positive. So if you can set LFE positively then that's fine.

I still think the Oppo default of -15dB for LFE without any crossovers is wrong, but if you can cancel out at least 5dB of that, then it is easy to work around it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Jonathan,

I came back to the forum to find that Bob had (as usual) implicitly addressed your question to me. Just as a courtesy, I wanted to say yes, it is indeed easy to work with. My SACDs have never sounded so good, including those with an LFE channel.

Occasionally I set the Lex to use Analog Bypass instead of redigitizing and equalizing when I play vocal or chamber or piano music, despite the fact that not all of my 7.1 speakers qualify as "Large" nor are at equal distances. This gives pretty good results, too, judged by these old ears (audiophile since 1953).

--Jim
post #1066 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Just wanted to let y'all know how good the ESS DACs perform whe fed with real world inputs. I pulled this doc from my library a short time ago and marveled at the superior performance of the DAC (the lesser ESS9008 in this case) when fed high jitter from the SPDIF inputs at 96KHz. Also its spectral plot performance is top notch. For those that worry about the 90xx dacs perfromance with jitter, no worries. These DACs have extremely highly jitter rejection than most dacs. in fact, its jitter spectrum is very clean and constant with input frequency. Other dacs had degrading jitter performance with increasing frequency.

Optical/coaxial "SPEEDEYF" has long been accused of sounding bad because of high levels of jitter in the past. With these dacs, jitter (on the analog outputs) is no more!!!

Enjoy!

(Now back to ARC'ing my room for even better performance)

es9008 dac comparison_SPDIF_96000_compA_compb.zip 490.4765625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip es9008 dac comparison_SPDIF_96000_compA_compb.zip (490.5 KB, 2 views)

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
post #1067 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Don't think the 93 NE is released yet, so no audio comparison is possible.

As you probably know, the 95 has dedicated stereo outputs (both bal and unbal) the 93 does not have (it uses FL/FR) for stereo. This could make a difference in your system design.

2.1 is a whole different animal than 2.0 and you may need to use the MCH and XOVER features built in to the player. See Howard's excellent post a page or two back describing ALL the options.

Styln

Thanks Styln,
Actually, I am only using just 2 channel, and have not found a need for a subwoofer since I am in a condo and in a relatively small listening room as compared to others, so space and listening environment is a huge factor as well as I feel quality is more important that quantity in getting emotional excitement from music and movie watching.
I should have also stated that I am not using balanced connectors, only unbalanced. So my need for XLR connections is not needed on the Oppo 95. My understanding is that the balance and unbalanced outputs on the Oppo 95yield the same level of attention and sound quality.

Russell
post #1068 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepos View Post

I just want to point out that high quality 2 channel sound will give better surround sound than mediocre or even mid level 7.1 in my experience.

The first time I noticed it I hooked up my new Arcam avr300 and put a movie on. I was immediately struck by two improvements compared to the old avr200: First, the dialogue was much more clear and natural sounding. Second, the imaging was greatly improved, especially the right-left panning and depth of sound field.
The third thing I noticed was that the dialogue was kind of weak, but when I turned up the center by ear (I had done no setup procedures yet) it didn't increase in volume.

So then I found that the receiver had been previously set up for stereo use only... I had been listening in stereo, but had been fooled by the depth of the sound field into thinking I was hearing other channels. And the net effect was a great improvement not only in sound quality, but sound field in comparison to a 5.1 setup using identical equipment except a (significantly) lesser receiver. My brother had previously talked about the same phenomena with his Bryston/stratus gold setup but I had written it off as exageration.

Of course the system, room and listening position has to be set up properly, and sitting anywhere else but the prime listening location will destroy the sound field, but if you can live with one primary listening position and 2 channel music is your primary use, IMO there is no need to go the surround sound. But if you go this route don't expect anyone sitting outside the sweet spot to be happy.

If anyone happens to try this with the 95 it would sure be an interesting post...

edit2: I should clarify I was listening to DVDs, not BDs.

I would agree with this. My basic theory in developing my Home theater system is based on this premise.

Russell
post #1069 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With all speakers set to Large in the Oppo, no bass steering is happening. And that means the extra attenuation of -5dB is not NECESSARY to prevent the possibility of clipping the input of the pre-amp or sub you are wired to. And so it is perfectly safe to just set the sub output volume trim in the Oppo to +5dB and leave it there.

Thank you Bob for the clear response. When I first posted I had not appreciated that you can set the LFE trim to a positive value. Previous units with analogue outputs only trimmed downwards in level. This is a great relief to me as I have the Oppo 95 on pre-order (UK), as I need a 3D compatible blu-ray solution that will work well with my Lexicon MC-12 providing the high definition blu-ray audio output. Hopefully I can also retire my Lexicon RT-10 (SACD/DVD-Audio) and use this single unit as my one-stop disc solution.

I understand the issue with consistency in a solution that changes between -10 and -15dB, but rightly or wrongly, that is what other manufacturers have been doing. So in this predicament consistency, one way or another, is impossible
post #1070 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post

Jonathan,

I came back to the forum to find that Bob had (as usual) implicitly addressed your question to me. Just as a courtesy, I wanted to say yes, it is indeed easy to work with. My SACDs have never sounded so good, including those with an LFE channel.

Occasionally I set the Lex to use Analog Bypass instead of redigitizing and equalizing when I play vocal or chamber or piano music, despite the fact that not all of my 7.1 speakers qualify as "Large" nor are at equal distances. This gives pretty good results, too, judged by these old ears (audiophile since 1953).

--Jim

Thank you Jim for replying back again. I am greatly relieved about the trim adjustment that both you and Bob mentioned. As you mention, with the Lex, you need to make a choice to remain analogue all the way, or redigitise but gain the EQ, bass and level management. I would agree with the types of music you mentioned, I would do the same.

I am pleased you seem happy with this solution. As I am in the UK, I need to wait a few more weeks for mine
post #1071 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 01:39 PM

I am about ready to jump on the OPPO band wagon... Just sold my current Blu-Ray player, biggest problem with that player was the load times I also have an old Denon 2900 DVD/SACD/DVD-A. Looking to get to a single machine.

I was a little concered about the bass managment since my Denon allows SW to run with large fronts for 2.1 config. But I guess I can run 2CH outs for critcal listening and run the MCH when I want a little more deep low end punch. I like the multiple X-Over freq. selections.

Couple questions regarding 95 performance

1. Cold Boot time to open
2. How is the speed compared to the 83, with respect to power on, Blu-ray loads and CD startup?
post #1072 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by awa61 View Post

I am about ready to jump on the OPPO band wagon... Just sold my current Blu-Ray player, biggest problem with that player was the load times I also have an old Denon 2900 DVD/SACD/DVD-A. Looking to get to a single machine.

I was a little concered about the bass managment since my Denon allows SW to run with large fronts for 2.1 config. But I guess I can run 2CH outs for critcal listening and run the MCH when I want a little more deep low end punch. I like the multiple X-Over freq. selections.

2. How is the speed compared to the 83, with respect to power on, Blu-ray loads and CD startup?

"BDP-93 Access Times
Access time can vary widely among different BD player manufacturers and many consider this to be an important performance metric when choosing a unit. The BDP-83 had good performance in this category and appears that the BDP-93 is even better. I ran several discs that I had previously timed on the BDP-83 and the BDP-93 beat them by an estimated 20%-30%"

http://laaudiofile.com/oppo_bdp93.html

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
post #1073 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by awa61 View Post

Power on to tray open is a few seconds. The player should be fully booted up in roughly 30 seconds and ready to load a disc. Boot times are slightly slower than the BDP-83 due mainly to the added software needing to load.
post #1074 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 07:28 PM

Liked: 13
Was offered one of those rare opportunities to evaluate the SQ of the 95’s dedicated 2ch outputs when I asked Mike Lavigne if we could check out the 95 in his system (see system details below).

First up we listened to a number of different source materials to familiarize ourselves (Alex & me) with the current sound and resolution of Mike’s system. First off were 174/24kHz and 192/24kHz files off of his server. Very impressive and thoroughly enjoyable. Mike says that this is his default music source as he loves to read with music playing and this is simply the easiest way to play music.

Then we were to get spoiled. Checked out different types of music using his vinyl system. Amazing. As good as the streaming was the vinyl almost got you to the venue. Then came Oscar Peterson and his piano on tape! This was one of those singular moments of “If you weren’t there you won’t know what were are trying to convey” in words. They were there. I commented that I felt I could talk to them and they would respond.

OK, so we had our listening parameters set up for checking out the Oppo 95 using Mike’s room and the Playback Designs (Music Playback MPS-5 SACD/CD Player) as the reference system. Over the next three hours Mike, Alex & I pulled out some of our favorite and reference SACDs and CDs. Track 11 on Sempre libera/Anna Netrebko’s SACD featuring her voice preserved the tonal balance but gave more ambient info and placed her farther back in the hall. Track 10 on Christian McBride’s: Getting To It CD gave a better defined low end on his double bass. The biggest difference was noted by all of us on Tr. 3 of the Burmester CDII (not the ultimate in SQ but well known to all of us having heard it 100s of times on different systems over many years) which features Hans Theessink playing guitar and singing on Call Me. Here the bass was more pronounced and his voice authoritative without any hardness. I’m not sure it is clear in the above observations but the the positive differences heard were when we were listening to the Playback Designs. We did play a couple of Blu-ray discs using 2.0 LPCM 24/192kHz which Alex & I found much better than our home system. We could not use the Playback Designs as it only plays SACDs and CDs.

I should add that that these are just a sampling of the music we used for evaluation. These particular selections gave us the ability to easily distinguish the differences we were hearing. For the record the Playback Designs was more detailed, produced a somewhat wider soundstage, gave voices more body, had better defined low bass and displayed more high end extension.

Where does this leave Us? Well as Mike said, “This is one heck of a multidisc player and it only costs $1,100” (here we corrected him to $999). Have I mentioned yet that the Playback Designs unit costs $15,000! and was setting on special nonresonant footers to boot. We’ll be trying out some nonresonant footers of our own along with polyethylene coated lead rings here at home to see if this tightens up the bass. Stay tuned.

For those of you who will question whether or not we could distinguish differences on Mike’s system check it out in some pictures at <<a href="http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1036349020" target="_blank">http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...slt&1036349020> on Audiogon. A complete writeup along with more pictures including a complete listing off all his components can be found in the Dec. 2010 issue of Vinylphile on their website at <<a href="http://www.vinylphilemag.com" target="_blank">www.vinylphilemag.com>. On this system changing interconnects, speaker cables, power cables and lifting cables off of the floor can be heard. Mike typically listens to streaming music off of his server while reading as previously mentioned and is perfectly happy to do so (and so would we). However, if you want to be drawn into and immersed in the performance you need analog via turntable or tape. While the differences between streaming 192/24, the Oppo and the Playback Designs are relatively small, the difference between digital and analog (vinyl & tape) is not subtle. However, for those of us with more modest dare I say real world systems than Mikes we can be happy that the differences are not so apparent and that digital reproduction has gotten so good that the Oppo 95 is in the same ballpark as the Playback Designs. And who knows maybe Oppo can surpass the Playback Designs with a little tweaking of the firmware. Heh, heh.

Need to point out that these comparisons were made using single ended RCA stereo outputs connected via one of Mike’s cheaper ($9,000/pr) cables to his darTZeel preamp which uses proprietary BNC connectors to his darTZeel amp. He thought that the true differential balanced outputs on the Oppo (he was surprised to hear of these in a $999 unit) might sound better in the right system. We had planned to listen to it this way in his system but I had forgotten the darTZeel uses RCA & BNC connections only.

Are we keeping our Oppo BDP-95? Darn right we are. We were very impressed with its performance in Mike’s system. In our own we can only say that we enjoy listening to the music. In addition, we can watch Blu-rays, DVDs, stream music and video files and access the internet for more content. In other words, “What an amazing piece of A/V gear”. Oh, and for those might be wondering, the 95 was as quiet as the proverbial mouse during our education session.

Under "musical snow promised yet again" Seattle skies, Gill
post #1075 of 11233 Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

Was offered one of those rare opportunities to evaluate the SQ of the 95's dedicated 2ch outputs when I asked Mike Lavigne if we could check out the 95 in his system (see system details below).

First up we listened to a number of different source materials to familiarize ourselves (Alex & me) with the current sound and resolution of Mike's system. First off were 174/24kHz and 192/24kHz files off of his server. Very impressive and thoroughly enjoyable. Mike says that this is his default music source as he loves to read with music playing and this is simply the easiest way to play music.

Then we were to get spoiled. Checked out different types of music using his vinyl system. Amazing. As good as the streaming was the vinyl almost got you to the venue. Then came Oscar Peterson and his piano on tape! This was one of those singular moments of If you weren't there you won't know what were are trying to convey in words. They were there. I commented that I felt I could talk to them and they would respond.

OK, so we had our listening parameters set up for checking out the Oppo 95 using Mike's room and the Playback Designs (Music Playback MPS-5 SACD/CD Player) as the reference system. Over the next three hours Mike, Alex & I pulled out some of our favorite and reference SACDs and CDs. Track 11 on Sempre libera/Anna Netrebko's SACD featuring her voice preserved the tonal balance but gave more ambient info and placed her farther back in the hall. Track 10 on Christian McBride's: Getting To It CD gave a better defined low end on his double bass. The biggest difference was noted by all of us on Tr. 3 of the Burmester CDII (not the ultimate in SQ but well known to all of us having heard it 100s of times on different systems over many years) which features Hans Theessink playing guitar and singing on Call Me. Here the bass was more pronounced and his voice authoritative without any hardness. We did play a couple of Blu-ray discs using 2.0 LPCM 24/192kHz which Alex & I found much better than our home system. We could not use the Playback Designs as it only plays SACDs and CDs.

I should add that that these are just a sampling of the music we used for evaluation. These particular selections gave us the ability to easily distinguish the differences we were hearing. For the record the Playback Designs was more detailed, produced a somewhat wider soundstage, gave voices more body, had better defined low bass and displayed more high end extension.

Where does this leave Us? Well as Mike said, This is one heck of a multidisc player and it only costs $1,100 (here we corrected him to $999). Have I mentioned yet that the Playback Designs unit costs $15,000! and was setting on special nonresonant footers to boot. We'll be trying out some nonresonant footers of our own along with polyethylene coated lead rings here at home to see if this tightens up the bass. Stay tuned.

For those of you who will question whether or not we could distinguish differences on Mike's system check it out in some pictures at <<a href="http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1036349020" target="_blank">http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...slt&1036349020> on Audiogon. A complete writeup along with more pictures including a complete listing off all his components can be found in the Dec. 2010 issue of Vinylphile on their website at <<a href="http://www.vinylphilemag.com" target="_blank">www.vinylphilemag.com>. On this system changing interconnects, speaker cables, power cables and lifting cables off of the floor can be heard. Mike typically listens to streaming music off of his server while reading as previously mentioned and is perfectly happy to do so (and so would we). However, if you want to be drawn into and immersed in the performance you need analog via turntable or tape. While the differences between streaming 192/24, the Oppo and the Playback Designs are relatively small, the difference between digital and analog (vinyl & tape) is not subtle. However, for those of us with more modest dare I say real world systems than Mikes we can be happy that the differences are not so apparent and that digital reproduction has gotten so good that the Oppo 95 is in the same ballpark as the Playback Designs. And who knows maybe Oppo can surpass the Playback Designs with a little tweaking of the firmware. Heh, heh.

Need to point out that these comparisons were made using single ended RCA stereo outputs connected via one of Mike's cheaper ($9,000/pr) cables to his darTZeel preamp which uses proprietary BNC connectors to his darTZeel amp. He thought that the true differential balanced outputs on the Oppo (he was surprised to hear of these in a $999 unit) might sound better in the right system. We had planned to listen to it this way in his system but I had forgotten the darTZeel uses RCA & BNC connections only.

Are we keeping our Oppo BDP-95? Darn right we are. We were very impressed with its performance in Mike's system. In our own we can only say that we enjoy listening to the music. In addition, we can watch Blu-rays, DVDs, stream music and video files and access the internet for more content. In other words, What an amazing piece of A/V gear. Oh, and for those might be wondering, the 95 was as quiet as the proverbial mouse during our education session.

Great review!, this is exactly the kind of review and insight I been looking for, among some others. I plan to get the Oppo 95 at this point. I am using a 2TB music server using Kimber Kable Silver Mini-Bus High Speed USB Cable. I sold my Oppo 83 on Audiogon in anticipation of the 95 and except to be pleasantly suprised at the cost/performance aspect of this unit.

Russell
post #1076 of 11233 Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Was offered one of those rare opportunities to evaluate the SQ of the 95's dedicated 2ch outputs when I asked Mike Lavigne if we could check out the 95 in his system (see system details below).

First up we listened to a number of different source materials to familiarize ourselves (Alex & me) with the current sound and resolution of Mike's system. First off were 174/24kHz and 192/24kHz files off of his server. Very impressive and thoroughly enjoyable. Mike says that this is his default music source as he loves to read with music playing and this is simply the easiest way to play music.

Then we were to get spoiled. Checked out different types of music using his vinyl system. Amazing. As good as the streaming was the vinyl almost got you to the venue. Then came Oscar Peterson and his piano on tape! This was one of those singular moments of If you weren't there you won't know what were are trying to convey in words. They were there. I commented that I felt I could talk to them and they would respond.

OK, so we had our listening parameters set up for checking out the Oppo 95 using Mike's room and the Playback Designs (Music Playback MPS-5 SACD/CD Player) as the reference system. Over the next three hours Mike, Alex & I pulled out some of our favorite and reference SACDs and CDs. Track 11 on Sempre libera/Anna Netrebko's SACD featuring her voice preserved the tonal balance but gave more ambient info and placed her farther back in the hall. Track 10 on Christian McBride's: Getting To It CD gave a better defined low end on his double bass. The biggest difference was noted by all of us on Tr. 3 of the Burmester CDII (not the ultimate in SQ but well known to all of us having heard it 100s of times on different systems over many years) which features Hans Theessink playing guitar and singing on Call Me. Here the bass was more pronounced and his voice authoritative without any hardness. We did play a couple of Blu-ray discs using 2.0 LPCM 24/192kHz which Alex & I found much better than our home system. We could not use the Playback Designs as it only plays SACDs and CDs.

Where does this leave Us? Well as Mike said, This is one heck of a multidisc player and it only costs $1,100 (here we corrected him to $999). Have I mentioned yet that the Playback Designs unit costs $15,000! and was setting on special nonresonant footers to boot. We'll be trying out some nonresonant footers of our own along with polyethylene coated lead rings here at home to see if this tightens up the bass. Stay tuned.

For those of you who will question whether or not we could distinguish differences on Mike's system check it out in some pictures at <<a href="http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1036349020" target="_blank">http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...slt&1036349020> on Audiogon. A complete writeup along with more pictures including a complete listing off all his components can be found in the Dec. 2010 issue of Vinylphile on their website at <<a href="http://www.vinylphilemag.com" target="_blank">www.vinylphilemag.com>. On this system changing interconnects, speaker cables, power cables and lifting cables off of the floor can be heard. Mike typically listens to streaming music off of his server while reading as previously mentioned and is perfectly happy to do so (and so would we). However, if you want to be drawn into and immersed in the performance you need analog via turntable or tape. While the differences between streaming 192/24, the Oppo and the Playback Designs are relatively small, the difference between digital and analog (vinyl & tape) is not subtle. However, for those of us with more modest dare I say real world systems than Mikes we can be happy that the differences are not so apparent and that digital reproduction has gotten so good that the Oppo 95 is in the same ballpark as the Playback Designs. And who knows maybe Oppo can surpass the Playback Designs with a little tweaking of the firmware. Heh, heh.

Need to point out that these comparisons were made using single ended RCA stereo outputs connected via one of Mike's cheaper ($9,000/pr) cables to his darTZeel preamp which uses proprietary BNC connectors to his darTZeel amp. He thought that the true differential balanced outputs on the Oppo (he was surprised to hear of these in a $999 unit) might sound better in the right system. We had planned to listen to it this way in his system but I had forgotten the darTZeel uses RCA & BNC connections only.

Are we keeping our Oppo BDP-95? Darn right we are. We were very impressed with its performance in Mike's system. In our own we can only say that we enjoy listening to the music. In addition, we can watch Blu-rays, DVDs, stream music and video files and access the internet for more content. In other words, What an amazing piece of A/V gear. Oh, and for those might be wondering, the 95 was as quiet as the proverbial mouse during our education session.

Very nice!
post #1077 of 11233 Old 02-22-2011, 05:05 AM

Kinda glad to read this just sold my Cambridge 840c to get the 95 in March!!!
post #1078 of 11233 Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 AM

Here I've been wondering if the 95 would compare favorably to my Emotiva cd player. Of course my system isn't near as expensive as the reviewer's buddy.
post #1079 of 11233 Old 02-22-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Was offered one of those rare opportunities to evaluate the SQ of the 95’s dedicated 2ch outputs when I asked Mike Lavigne if we could check out the 95 in his system (see system details below).

First up we listened to a number of different source materials to familiarize ourselves (Alex & me) with the current sound and resolution of Mike’s system. First off were 174/24kHz and 192/24kHz files off of his server. Very impressive and thoroughly enjoyable. Mike says that this is his default music source as he loves to read with music playing and this is simply the easiest way to play music.

Then we were to get spoiled. Checked out different types of music using his vinyl system. Amazing. As good as the streaming was the vinyl almost got you to the venue. Then came Oscar Peterson and his piano on tape! This was one of those singular moments of “If you weren’t there you won’t know what were are trying to convey” in words. They were there. I commented that I felt I could talk to them and they would respond.

OK, so we had our listening parameters set up for checking out the Oppo 95 using Mike’s room and the Playback Designs (Music Playback MPS-5 SACD/CD Player) as the reference system. Over the next three hours Mike, Alex & I pulled out some of our favorite and reference SACDs and CDs. Track 11 on Sempre libera/Anna Netrebko’s SACD featuring her voice preserved the tonal balance but gave more ambient info and placed her farther back in the hall. Track 10 on Christian McBride’s: Getting To It CD gave a better defined low end on his double bass. The biggest difference was noted by all of us on Tr. 3 of the Burmester CDII (not the ultimate in SQ but well known to all of us having heard it 100s of times on different systems over many years) which features Hans Theessink playing guitar and singing on Call Me. Here the bass was more pronounced and his voice authoritative without any hardness. We did play a couple of Blu-ray discs using 2.0 LPCM 24/192kHz which Alex & I found much better than our home system. We could not use the Playback Designs as it only plays SACDs and CDs.

Where does this leave Us? Well as Mike said, “This is one heck of a multidisc player and it only costs $1,100” (here we corrected him to $999). Have I mentioned yet that the Playback Designs unit costs $15,000! and was setting on special nonresonant footers to boot. We’ll be trying out some nonresonant footers of our own along with polyethylene coated lead rings here at home to see if this tightens up the bass. Stay tuned.

For those of you who will question whether or not we could distinguish differences on Mike’s system check it out in some pictures at <<a href="http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1036349020" target="_blank">http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...slt&1036349020> on Audiogon. A complete writeup along with more pictures including a complete listing off all his components can be found in the Dec. 2010 issue of Vinylphile on their website at <<a href="http://www.vinylphilemag.com" target="_blank">www.vinylphilemag.com>. On this system changing interconnects, speaker cables, power cables and lifting cables off of the floor can be heard. Mike typically listens to streaming music off of his server while reading as previously mentioned and is perfectly happy to do so (and so would we). However, if you want to be drawn into and immersed in the performance you need analog via turntable or tape. While the differences between streaming 192/24, the Oppo and the Playback Designs are relatively small, the difference between digital and analog (vinyl & tape) is not subtle. However, for those of us with more modest dare I say real world systems than Mikes we can be happy that the differences are not so apparent and that digital reproduction has gotten so good that the Oppo 95 is in the same ballpark as the Playback Designs. And who knows maybe Oppo can surpass the Playback Designs with a little tweaking of the firmware. Heh, heh.

Need to point out that these comparisons were made using single ended RCA stereo outputs connected via one of Mike’s cheaper ($9,000/pr) cables to his darTZeel preamp which uses proprietary BNC connectors to his darTZeel amp. He thought that the true differential balanced outputs on the Oppo (he was surprised to hear of these in a $999 unit) might sound better in the right system. We had planned to listen to it this way in his system but I had forgotten the darTZeel uses RCA & BNC connections only.

Are we keeping our Oppo BDP-95? Darn right we are. We were very impressed with its performance in Mike’s system. In our own we can only say that we enjoy listening to the music. In addition, we can watch Blu-rays, DVDs, stream music and video files and access the internet for more content. In other words, “What an amazing piece of A/V gear”. Oh, and for those might be wondering, the 95 was as quiet as the proverbial mouse during our education session.

so what you are saying is..using the OPPO at it's absolute best conditions is as good as Mike's equipment under the absolute worst conditions in a very,very high end system????????

I would think considering the quality of his set up,that an insignia player would sound great too...not a fair comparison,what you want is to hear an improvement in your system over what you presently are using
post #1080 of 11233 Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau
Enjoy your long winter's nap! WMA Lossless is not at all likely. (Licensing issues, I suspect.)
--Bob
You could use Media Monkey and the like to convert wma lossless to flac, which the Oppo handles.

- Andy
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page