Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anybody checked possibility to play BD 3D ISO files from hard drive or via net?

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajglass View Post
You could use Media Monkey and the like to convert wma lossless to flac, which the Oppo handles.
True. I probably should have started my reply, "Wake up and smell the FLAC!"
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1083 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcomp View Post
Has somebody checked possibility to play BD 3D ISO files from hard drive or via net?

Regards
The player does not support direct playback of ISO files. Apparently that cuts a bit too close to the bone as regards *whispers* piracy *whispers*.

For hard drive playback, obtain a BDMV folder and put it inside a folder named "AVCHD". Put THAT folder into another folder with the title of the content. And that's the folder you find in the media browser and play.

Unfortunately, DLNA streaming servers currently don't support the meta-data needed for AVCHD playback (perhaps that will change?), so this workaround doesn't work for streaming. For streaming you have to find the video portion of the content and play that back by itself.

In either case, if the content is 3D, the video itself plays just as if it came off a disc.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1084 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

so what you are saying is..using the OPPO at it's absolute best conditions is as good as Mike's equipment under the absolute worst conditions in a very,very high end system????????

I would think considering the quality of his set up,that an insignia player would sound great too...not a fair comparison,what you want is to hear an improvement in your system over what you presently are using

Where on earth do you find the highlighted assertion in this report? I see nothing indicating the comparison system was downgraded for this test in any way whatsoever.

The one comment about connectors was referring to hooking up *THE OPPO*, and clearly pointed out that use of the XLR outputs from the Oppo (which was not possible with the connectors on hand) might possibly have produced BETTER results from the Oppo.

Sheesh!
--Bob

post #1085 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

Was offered one of those rare opportunities to evaluate the SQ of the 95's dedicated 2ch outputs when I asked Mike Lavigne if we could check out the 95 in his system (see system details below).

OK, so we had our listening parameters set up for checking out the Oppo 95 using Mike's room and the Playback Designs (Music Playback MPS-5 SACD/CD Player) as the reference system. Over the next three hours Mike, Alex & I pulled out some of our favorite and reference SACDs and CDs. Track 11 on Sempre libera/Anna Netrebko's SACD featuring her voice preserved the tonal balance but gave more ambient info and placed her farther back in the hall. Track 10 on Christian McBride's: Getting To It CD gave a better defined low end on his double bass. The biggest difference was noted by all of us on Tr. 3 of the Burmester CDII (not the ultimate in SQ but well known to all of us having heard it 100s of times on different systems over many years) which features Hans Theessink playing guitar and singing on Call Me. Here the bass was more pronounced and his voice authoritative without any hardness. I'm not sure it is clear in the above observations but the the positive differences heard were when we were listening to the Playback Designs. We did play a couple of Blu-ray discs using 2.0 LPCM 24/192kHz which Alex & I found much better than our home system. We could not use the Playback Designs as it only plays SACDs and CDs.

I should add that that these are just a sampling of the music we used for evaluation. These particular selections gave us the ability to easily distinguish the differences we were hearing. For the record the Playback Designs was more detailed, produced a somewhat wider soundstage, gave voices more body, had better defined low bass and displayed more high end extension.

Where does this leave Us? Well as Mike said, This is one heck of a multidisc player and it only costs $1,100 (here we corrected him to $999). Have I mentioned yet that the Playback Designs unit costs $15,000! and was setting on special nonresonant footers to boot. We'll be trying out some nonresonant footers of our own along with polyethylene coated lead rings here at home to see if this tightens up the bass. Stay tuned.

Are we keeping our Oppo BDP-95? Darn right we are. We were very impressed with its performance in Mike's system. In our own we can only say that we enjoy listening to the music. In addition, we can watch Blu-rays, DVDs, stream music and video files and access the internet for more content. In other words, What an amazing piece of A/V gear. Oh, and for those might be wondering, the 95 was as quiet as the proverbial mouse during our education session.

Under "musical snow promised yet again" Seattle skies, Gill

Thanks for sharing this wonderful music experience, Gill. I've no doubt the 95 is another winner from the land of Oppo. Interesting to read that even high-end audiophiles like Mike are heading more and more to streaming music. Makes ease of use features in this area even more important IMO.

Styln
post #1086 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

here i've been wondering if the 95 would compare favorably to my emotiva cd player. Of course my system isn't near as expensive as the reviewer's buddy.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #1087 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sheesh!
--Bob[/quote]

i feel the love

but the system itself made the Oppo sound great as it would any other player..a true test is an A/b test in your own HT or 2 channel setup
post #1088 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

I would think considering the quality of his set up,that an insignia player would sound great too...

I'm sure the Insignia's analog outputs would be real impressive when compared to the 95's analog outputs.

Quote:

..a true test is an A/b test in your own HT or 2 channel setup

What a great idea! Why hasn't anyone else thought of that.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1089 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone have the following combination?

OPPO 95
Pioneer SC 09 TX

Wondering the best way to set this up?

Bob
post #1090 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 04:17 PM

What if, instead I get the 95 & keep the existing setup (Kenwood VR-4090 receiver, Nakamichi RX-505 Tape, etc.). It's pre-decade, but if the 95 has enough juice to drive my Tyler Acooustics Linbrook System II speakers for both music & movies then it'll serve as pre-amp & I won't have the need to upgrade to an 3D HDMI receiver for a while.

Don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Well, you've made it tough because the 95 is for people like you with all analog systems. However, the assumption is you won't be upgrading to a newer digital system anytime soon. IMO, the 95 is for people who know they love analog audio, listen to their expensive music only/mostly systems regularly, and are willing to accept the compromises (and there are several). I use "expensive" not out of snobbery, but to illustrate that they are usually locked into to these older high cost systems and it's cheaper to buy a $1000 player than replace the rest of their systems with digital products of similar quality.

Going with the 95 is very much swimming up-stream - almost everyone else is going with the current/flow and buying full digital systems. So unless you're looking for a niche hobby within the hobby of Home Theater, I'd recommend the more mainstream 93. The video sections are identical. Buy a new receiver with HDMI connections and hook it up that way for both video and audio.

If you haven't purchased SACD or DVD-A high resoloution audio disc before, I recommend not starting now (see niche above). Instead, you can download HD audio files over the internet at very reasonable prices. The 93 will play them. Also look for lossless audio playback on your new receiver purchase. You want support for 24/96 (or higher) via WAV or FLAC lossless audio formats - or just let the Oppo 93 handle it for you.

Can't say if the 93 is worth the money - only you can do that. I own an Oppo 83SE (very similar in price to the 95) and an LG370. Like them both, but they operate in different environments meeting different criteria. Oppo does have truly excellent service, regular FW updates, and a 30 day no questions asked return policy that makes deciding cost/benefit easier.

Styln

post #1091 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 PM

My only real concern at this point is the ability of the Oppo 95 to display metadata properly and fully. I converted all my music files in FLAC and painstakingly imported all the data for proper display (i.e. cover art). I hope Oppo understands the importance of presentation in allow audiophiles to view metadata information on a HDTV display.

This is why I almost tried to incorporate a computer in my theater system just to use Windows Media player in order to display my server information (which proved to be too impractical for me, but realized someone locally in town developed a nice system for this purpose in Las Vegas, and has contracted production for sale in the near future for high end consumers).

I saw some comments about the Oppo 95 inability to properly show metadata? Is there some truth to this? Hopefully a firmware upgrade will fix any present deficiencies in this area.

I was able to try out the new Western Digital WD TV Live Hub Media Center, and I liked its layout in how in presented song information.
Having great Song display information on your HDTV is a great compliment to the wonderful sound coming out of your speaker system.

Russell

Russell
post #1092 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
The player will not read meta data (tagging) from APE, FLAC and WAV. The player only supports ID3 tagging (MP3 and WMA).

It has been requested that APE, FLAC and WAV tagging be added to a future firmware release, but this has been a long requested feature and there has been no implementation of it yet.
post #1093 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The player will not read meta data (tagging) from APE, FLAC and WAV. The player only supports ID3 tagging (MP3 and WMA).

It has been requested that APE, FLAC and WAV tagging be added to a future firmware release, but this has been a long requested feature and there has been no implementation of it yet.

I hope Oppo takes this issue seriously, as this to me is a must when playing digital music compared to analog music (albums). They missed the mark on this issue of playing digital music. Digital Audiophiles (which is device is geared towards) are not going to be using compress formats to play music, as they will be most likely be playing lossless formats such as FLAC. Get it together Oppo. You need some real world advice in those R&D sessions in product development.

Russell
post #1094 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh2173 View Post

I hope Oppo takes this issue seriously, as this to me is a must when playing digital music compared to analog music (albums). They missed the mark on this issue of playing digital music. Digital Audiophiles (which is device is geared towards) are not going to be using compress formats to play music, as they will be most likely be playing lossless formats such as FLAC. Get it together Oppo. You need some real world advice in those R&D sessions in product development.

Make your needs known to OPPO. There is nothing we can do about it here.

-Bill
post #1095 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Yes love the fact that it plays FLAC but trully miss the interface of my Apple TV and ability to see meta-data!! Please Oppo take care of this Sony uses Gracenote cool
post #1096 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 09:01 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Originally Posted by Styln View Post: Well, you've made it tough because the 95 is for people like you with all analog systems. .... IMO, the 95 is for people who know they love analog audio, listen to their expensive music only/mostly systems regularly, and are willing to accept the compromises (and there are several). I use "expensive" not out of snobbery, but to illustrate that they are usually locked into to these older high cost systems and it's cheaper to buy a $1000 player than replace the rest of their systems with digital products of similar quality. Going with the 95 is very much swimming up-stream - almost If you haven't purchased SACD or DVD-A high resoloution audio disc before, I recommend not starting now (see niche above). Instead, you can download HD audio files over the internet at very reasonable prices. The 93 will play them. Also look for lossless audio playback on your new receiver purchase. You want support for 24/96 (or higher) via WAV or FLAC lossless audio formats - or just let the Oppo 93 handle it for you. Styln

Well, I have a Classé SSP-800 and I love to listen to the Oppo using Balance XLR analogue music And yes I use HDMi for Blu Ray, so sorry but that's your opinion
post #1097 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
We are getting ours in Asia-Pac too!

For owners down under, take note!

The player is set to 110V, and you need to switch to 220V !!!
post #1098 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My only real concern at this point is the ability of the Oppo 95 to display metadata properly and fully. I converted all my music files in FLAC and painstakingly imported all the data for proper display (i.e. cover art). I hope Oppo understands the importance of presentation in allow audiophiles to view metadata information on a HDTV display.

This is why I almost tried to incorporate a computer in my theater system just to use Windows Media player in order to display my server information (which proved to be too impractical for me, but realized someone locally in town developed a nice system for this purpose in Las Vegas, and has contracted production for sale in the near future for high end consumers).

I saw some comments about the Oppo 95 inability to properly show metadata? Is there some truth to this? Hopefully a firmware upgrade will fix any present deficiencies in this area.

I was able to try out the new Western Digital WD TV Live Hub Media Center, and I liked its layout in how in presented song information.
Having great Song display information on your HDTV is a great compliment to the wonderful sound coming out of your speaker system.

Russell

Forget metadata support on the player - you'll just be locked into a semi-usable non-scalable system from a HW vendor. Let's get standard DLNA control support for programs like this:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=20897

Where companies compete based on functionality, features, and price.

Please let Oppo know you want DLNA render/control support. It's the one feature missing that would get me to upgrade from an 83SE to a 95: a major ease of use improvement for streaming media.

Styln
post #1099 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Originally Posted by Styln View Post: Well, you've made it tough because the 95 is for people like you with all analog systems. .... IMO, the 95 is for people who know they love analog audio, listen to their expensive music only/mostly systems regularly, and are willing to accept the compromises (and there are several). I use "expensive" not out of snobbery, but to illustrate that they are usually locked into to these older high cost systems and it's cheaper to buy a $1000 player than replace the rest of their systems with digital products of similar quality. Going with the 95 is very much swimming up-stream - almost If you haven't purchased SACD or DVD-A high resoloution audio disc before, I recommend not starting now (see niche above). Instead, you can download HD audio files over the internet at very reasonable prices. The 93 will play them. Also look for lossless audio playback on your new receiver purchase. You want support for 24/96 (or higher) via WAV or FLAC lossless audio formats - or just let the Oppo 93 handle it for you. Styln

Well, I have a Classé SSP-800 and I love to listen to the Oppo using Balance XLR analogue music And yes I use HDMi for Blu Ray, so sorry but that's your opinion

But of course it's all in my opinion (with massive generalizations to boot)... which I ignore most of myself WSE, this advice was not for you with a top of the line modern pre/pro. But I stand behind it as good generic advice for the average, even above average consumer. That said, if the OP wants to match your system investment, I'm sure he'll be quite happy with the results Do you have system advice for the OP? I'd like to hear your thoughts on how to re/construct a modern music/video system around the 95.

I'm particularly interested because the Classe SSP-800 is at the top of my buy list...

Thanks,

Styln
post #1100 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitsOfMisses View Post

What if, instead I get the 95 & keep the existing setup (Kenwood VR-4090 receiver, Nakamichi RX-505 Tape, etc.). It's pre-decade, but if the 95 has enough juice to drive my Tyler Acooustics Linbrook System II speakers for both music & movies then it'll serve as pre-amp & I won't have the need to upgrade to an 3D HDMI receiver for a while.

Don't you think?

Sure, you can do that by connecting the RCA audio outputs of the 93/95 to the Kenwood multi-channel inputs for sound. Then connect HDMI output directly to your 3D TV. All the audio and video output on all Oppo players are active simultaneously.

Styln
post #1101 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Make your needs known to OPPO. There is nothing we can do about it here.

-Bill

Yes, I did just that already.

Russell
post #1102 of 11149 Old 02-22-2011, 11:36 PM

On page 52 of the Oppo-95 manual I downloaded, displays a decent amount of metadata. It shows an example of how the screen show look, displaying a picture on the left, which does not seem to relate to the album art as it does not related to the example song, then to the right it displays the following information:

Title
Artist
Album
Genre

To the right time lapse information

I think I will be satisfied with at least much information displayed while playing music. I guess I will have to live without the album art.

Russell
post #1103 of 11149 Old 02-23-2011, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Wake me up if they ever add WMA lossless

Proprietary junk; eff MS, Apple and all other entities forcefeeding closed formats.
post #1104 of 11149 Old 02-23-2011, 05:22 AM
jfz

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

Was offered one of those rare opportunities to evaluate the SQ of the 95's dedicated 2ch outputs when I asked Mike Lavigne if we could check out the 95 in his system (see system details below).

First up we listened to a number of different source materials to familiarize ourselves (Alex & me) with the current sound and resolution of Mike's system. First off were 174/24kHz and 192/24kHz files off of his server. Very impressive and thoroughly enjoyable. Mike says that this is his default music source as he loves to read with music playing and this is simply the easiest way to play music.

Then we were to get spoiled. Checked out different types of music using his vinyl system. Amazing. As good as the streaming was the vinyl almost got you to the venue. Then came Oscar Peterson and his piano on tape! This was one of those singular moments of If you weren't there you won't know what were are trying to convey in words. They were there. I commented that I felt I could talk to them and they would respond.

OK, so we had our listening parameters set up for checking out the Oppo 95 using Mike's room and the Playback Designs (Music Playback MPS-5 SACD/CD Player) as the reference system. Over the next three hours Mike, Alex & I pulled out some of our favorite and reference SACDs and CDs. Track 11 on Sempre libera/Anna Netrebko's SACD featuring her voice preserved the tonal balance but gave more ambient info and placed her farther back in the hall. Track 10 on Christian McBride's: Getting To It CD gave a better defined low end on his double bass. The biggest difference was noted by all of us on Tr. 3 of the Burmester CDII (not the ultimate in SQ but well known to all of us having heard it 100s of times on different systems over many years) which features Hans Theessink playing guitar and singing on Call Me. Here the bass was more pronounced and his voice authoritative without any hardness. I'm not sure it is clear in the above observations but the the positive differences heard were when we were listening to the Playback Designs. We did play a couple of Blu-ray discs using 2.0 LPCM 24/192kHz which Alex & I found much better than our home system. We could not use the Playback Designs as it only plays SACDs and CDs.

I should add that that these are just a sampling of the music we used for evaluation. These particular selections gave us the ability to easily distinguish the differences we were hearing. For the record the Playback Designs was more detailed, produced a somewhat wider soundstage, gave voices more body, had better defined low bass and displayed more high end extension.

Where does this leave Us? Well as Mike said, This is one heck of a multidisc player and it only costs $1,100 (here we corrected him to $999). Have I mentioned yet that the Playback Designs unit costs $15,000! and was setting on special nonresonant footers to boot. We'll be trying out some nonresonant footers of our own along with polyethylene coated lead rings here at home to see if this tightens up the bass. Stay tuned.

For those of you who will question whether or not we could distinguish differences on Mike's system check it out in some pictures at <<a href="http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1036349020" target="_blank">http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...slt&1036349020> on Audiogon. A complete writeup along with more pictures including a complete listing off all his components can be found in the Dec. 2010 issue of Vinylphile on their website at <<a href="http://www.vinylphilemag.com" target="_blank">www.vinylphilemag.com>. On this system changing interconnects, speaker cables, power cables and lifting cables off of the floor can be heard. Mike typically listens to streaming music off of his server while reading as previously mentioned and is perfectly happy to do so (and so would we). However, if you want to be drawn into and immersed in the performance you need analog via turntable or tape. While the differences between streaming 192/24, the Oppo and the Playback Designs are relatively small, the difference between digital and analog (vinyl & tape) is not subtle. However, for those of us with more modest dare I say real world systems than Mikes we can be happy that the differences are not so apparent and that digital reproduction has gotten so good that the Oppo 95 is in the same ballpark as the Playback Designs. And who knows maybe Oppo can surpass the Playback Designs with a little tweaking of the firmware. Heh, heh.

Need to point out that these comparisons were made using single ended RCA stereo outputs connected via one of Mike's cheaper ($9,000/pr) cables to his darTZeel preamp which uses proprietary BNC connectors to his darTZeel amp. He thought that the true differential balanced outputs on the Oppo (he was surprised to hear of these in a $999 unit) might sound better in the right system. We had planned to listen to it this way in his system but I had forgotten the darTZeel uses RCA & BNC connections only.

Are we keeping our Oppo BDP-95? Darn right we are. We were very impressed with its performance in Mike's system. In our own we can only say that we enjoy listening to the music. In addition, we can watch Blu-rays, DVDs, stream music and video files and access the internet for more content. In other words, What an amazing piece of A/V gear. Oh, and for those might be wondering, the 95 was as quiet as the proverbial mouse during our education session.

Under "musical snow promised yet again" Seattle skies, Gill

Thank you so much for this "review". This is exactly what I needed, i.e., a comparison in a system of such high quality and neutrality. Mike's is an absolutely superb system that I've "seen" evolve over a period of many years. He clearly knows what he is doing; and I'd bet it's one of the best systems in the world. As you know, he has taken as much care with his custom room as he has with the system.

Thanks again...very helpful!
post #1105 of 11149 Old 02-23-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Pulled this from WikiPedia to give folks an idea of all the standards based DLNA control software that's available. Includes everything from Window Media Player to iPhone/Androids apps. It lets you sit in your chair, search a large on-line media collection with lots of meta-data, and click/select to push the content to the Oppo. Follow the link and you'll see a whole host of hardware devices that support being controlled (called renderers). Besides convenience, it lets you manage a large media collection with ease, which the Oppo interface, as it is today, will never do. If you like the idea of pushing content to the Oppo from your DLNA server via your iPhone/Pad/netbook/etc, let Oppo know it's an important ease of use feature for enjoying your personal on-line media collection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._clients#Other

Thanks,

Styln

A UPnP client, also called a control point, functions as a digital audio/video player. Control points automatically detect UPnP servers on the network to browse content directories and request the transfer or streaming of media.
UPnP control points and player software

Java

• Cidero Control Point, written in Java
  • Eyecon Technologies Control Point, written in Java, runs on Android, iOS, Windows, Linux.
  • eezUPnP, a free Java based UPnP Control Point, especially for music, for Windows and Linux.
Mac OS X

• VideoLAN Network Client (VLC), a free, open-source and cross-platform media player that has a UPnP-client (via the CyberLink UPnP plugin). UPnP support was broken, but was rewritten for VideoLAN 1.0 [2]
  • Kinsky is a free, open-source and cross-platform UPnP control point
  • XBMC Media Center (formerly "Xbox Media Center"), a cross platform open source software media-player/media center for Apple TV, Linux, Mac (Intel), Windows, and the Xbox.
  • MediaCloud is a UPnP plug-in for the Apple TV. [3]
  • SongBook is a control point with specific support for Linn MediaRenderers
  • Eyecon Technologies Control Point, runs on Windows, Linux or Mac.
  • [4] Playback is another uPnP-Server with full iLife integration.
  • [5] EyeConnect from Elgato
  • [6] Majestic Media Server is a free UPNP AV Media server for Mac OS X. Current versions are Intel only, but older versions work on PPC hardware as well.
Linux

• VideoLAN Network Client (VLC), a free, open-source and cross-platform media player that has a UPnP-client (via the CyberLink UPnP plugin)
  • BRisa UPnP Framework, a free and open-source UPnP framework that allows the development of UPnP devices, as well as provides three implementation reference of UPnP applications: the BRisa Media server, the BRisa Media Renderer and the BRisa Control Point. BRisa Official Website
  • Kinsky is a free, open-source and cross-platform UPnP control point
  • XBMC Media Center (formerly "Xbox Media Center"), a cross platform open source software media-player/media center
  • Coherence, a free and OpenSource UPnP/DLNA Framework. Together with GStreamer or Rhythmbox it forms a controllable DLNA/UPnP MediaRenderer.
  • Eyecon Technologies Control Point, runs on Windows, Linux or Mac
  • KinskyDesktop is a free, open-source and cross-platform UPnP control point
  • Rhythmbox is an integrated music management application, originally inspired by Apple's iTunes. It is open-source software, designed to work well under the GNOME Desktop, and based on GStreamer media framework.
  • GUPnP GUPnP is an object-oriented open source framework for creating UPnP devices and control points, written in C using GObject and libsoup. The GUPnP API is intended to be easy to use, efficient and flexible.
  • Twonky MediaServer available for Linux.
Microsoft Windows

Notes:
  • The On2Share UPnP plugin is no longer supported, but is still available for download as a winamp plug-in.
  • VideoLAN Network Client (VLC), now has integrated UPnP-client support, but not on the Windows platform yet.[citation needed]
Symbian OS

Windows Mobile

• KinskyPda is a free, open-source and cross-platform UPnP control point
  • LobsterTunes is a commercial UPnP Client with Local and Remote network support.
  • Pocket Player is a commercial UPnP Client, renderer, media server, with plugin support.
iOS : iPhone, iPod touch, iPad

• AirPlayer is an application for streaming video*, music*, photo* from UPnP/DLNA media servers to your Apple iPhone/iPod/iPad.
  • media:connect DLNA/UPnP AV compatible media player, media server, control point, media renderer, and media downloader.
  • SongBook is an iPhone control point which supports Linn UPNP extensions.
  • PlugPlayer is an iPhone/iPad application that acts as a UPnP client, MediaRenderer and control point.
  • AdoubleU IntelligentShare UPnP AV Renderer is an iPhone UPnP AV MediaRenderer application.
  • AdoubleU ItunesDB UPnP AV Server turns your device into a multiformat network audio streaming server. You can browse through your device's ITunes music library (including playlists and podcasts) and stream the desired song to the audio gadget.
  • iMediaShare is an iPhone application that supports Media Server specifications of UPnP/AV.
  • NasViP is an iPhone application. UPnP Media Client.
  • DiXiM DMC is an iPhone application that allows you to remotely control DLNA/UPnP compatible media renderers and stream content to them shared by media servers. Server content can be previewed and queued in playlists for automatic playback on the renderer.
Android

• PlugPlayer is an Android application that acts as a UPnP client and control point.
  • AndroMote is an Android control point which can also play music locally
  • iMediaShare is a UPnP/DLNA media server for Android smartphones.
  • TwonkyServer mobile is a free UPnP/DLNA-compliant media server for Android phones.
  • UPnPlay is a free UPnP/DLNA media player that lets you control UPnP servers with playback on your android device or remote renderer.
  • AllShare found on Samsung Galaxy S phones is preinstalled and acts as a UPnP/DLNA media player and server
  • EML UPnP-AV Control Point is a free UPnP/DLNA media player with indexing/search functionality
PHP

• GUPnP GUPnP is an object-oriented open source framework for creating UPnP devices and control points, written in C using GObject and libsoup. This extension wraps GUPnP and provides similar API. All sources and additional documentation can be obtained from the official site
Other

post #1106 of 11149 Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

so what you are saying is..using the OPPO at it's absolute best conditions is as good as Mike's equipment under the absolute worst conditions in a very,very high end system????????

I would think considering the quality of his set up,that an insignia player would sound great too...not a fair comparison,what you want is to hear an improvement in your system over what you presently are using

gene9p,
One would think that a system as resolving as Mike's seems to be would not make any player sound good or mask its poor quality. What such a system would do is reveal any weaknesses in a source (player or material). At least that is what I have found as my system has improved. Therefore if Mike's system really is as resolving as others are saying than it would only serve to highlight any weaknesses in the BDP-95. If the components and source material sound good then Mike's system would illustrate that (and vice versa).

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

post #1107 of 11149 Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd like to hear your thoughts on how to re/construct a modern music/video system around the 95. I'm particularly interested because the Classe SSP-800 is at the top of my buy list... Thanks,
Styln

I am into sound more than video so for me sound quality comes first. So with the universal Oppo BDP-95 here are three system that would sound very good in my humble opinion

It depends on the budget one has.

SYSTEM 1: Mid range/high end end
Seven B&W 805Diamond
Classé SSP-800 and CA-5300 + CA-2300
B&W DB1 Sub
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...5-Diamond.html
http://www.classeaudio.com/delta/index.htm

On a lower price scale it could be Anthem & Paradigm signature series

SYSTEM 2: Mid level
Seven Paradigm Signature Reference S1 PBe with
Anthem MRX 700
http://hometheaterreview.com/paradig...ewed/?page=all
http://www.anthemav.com/products/ant...ceiver/mrx-700

and finally for a starter system

SYSTEM 3:Entry level
Seven Pioneer SP-BS21-LR
Yamaha RX-A1000
http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/649751.html
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model

By the way I bought a pair of the Pioneer SP-BS21-LR for $500 each on sale, and they sound really good especially

Out of the box and not to make it more complicated but I audition these last week and whoa!!
http://esoteric.teac.com/loudspeakers/mg-10/
They dropped the price from $6000 to $2800 I love the alliances, Esoteric, Tannoy and Nippon Kinzoku. Tannoy makes a lot of studio monitors
post #1108 of 11149 Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Forget metadata support on the player - you'll just be locked into a semi-usable non-scalable system from a HW vendor. Let's get standard DLNA control support for programs like this:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=20897

Where companies compete based on functionality, features, and price.

Please let Oppo know you want DLNA render/control support. It's the one feature missing that would get me to upgrade from an 83SE to a 95: a major ease of use improvement for streaming media.

Styln

You right Styln, the following is what Oppo wrote back to me in response to my concerns about meta data:

Russell,

We take all observations and recommendations seriously, but there are things which we may not be able to implement due to resource constraints or reliance on third parties to implement before we can add it to our software suite. The ability to use tagging and other meta data for user created media has been a request since before the external beta test was started, but at this time we only support standard ID3 tagging for MP3 and WMA files. We hope in the future to allow for additional tagging support for APE, FLAC, and WAV media.

Best Regards,

Russell
post #1109 of 11149 Old 02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We hope in the future to allow for additional tagging support for APE, FLAC, and WAV media.,

I will take that it is a start The question is when is "The Future" six months, a year, two year .....ten years
post #1110 of 11149 Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

I know the general discussion of the 95 is Analogue music play back. However, I watched/listen to Wall-E [BR] last night. {One movie Beta Testers like to torture}. I have watched this movie on calibrated 83>83SE>95> all audio analogue 5.1 {HDMI>Video to display}.
All I can say is w/ the 95 it has been the Best SQ experience I have heard. There were scene where I heard new sounds and dialogue that I hadn’t noticed before. Granted it could be because I have watched it so many times. But the sound stage is a more noticeable/accurate/detailed,including a more refined surround experience.
fwiw
db
Beta Tester #9
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page