Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 375 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11221 of 11233 Old 09-02-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Yea, Oppo says that's an attempt, but with weird encoding it's a crap shoot. The best bet is not to use the yellow button feature. You can skip individual previews with the chapter advance (when allowed), get to the main menu, and then the disc plays fine.
glangford is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11222 of 11233 Old 09-02-2014, 04:11 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,268
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
The problem I'm having with the DVDs Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit and Nebraska jumping around and having poor chapter transitions seems to be related to having used the yellow button to skip previews and go right to the movie. I'm guessing the way they are encoding DVDs now and burying things inside of things, the Oppo is missing requried information when using the yellow button feature on DVDs. Working with Oppo, will report more later.
Thanks for pursuing that. I hadn't thought of the yellow button. Bob's right (of course!) that when you skip intro material the disc may get mad. I'd hoped the studios had stopped dicking with DVD authoring, but some departments never sleep.

-Bill
greylight44 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

wmcclain is online now  
post #11223 of 11233 Old 09-02-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Thanks for pursuing that. I hadn't thought of the yellow button. Bob's right (of course!) that when you skip intro material the disc may get mad. I'd hoped the studios had stopped dicking with DVD authoring, but some departments never sleep.

-Bill
No problem, it was driving me batty. A cheap maggie could play it but the oppo couldn't, of course, voila, no skip feature on the maggie!

You might consider an update to your faq pages and provide a warning. I've never run into this before so this must be a relatively new authoring technique, but the studios seem to constantly be dicking with the authoring, I'm guessing to attempt to beat the DVD copy programs.

On a postive note I do now own Nebraska. I went and bought a DVD during my investigation to make sure it wasn't just the netflix disc. The bought one did the same thing. So now I own a copy. That's not bad as it was a marvelous film. Dern deserved the Oscar for that one. I remember him as the guy who killed John Wayne! (Cowboys).

Last edited by glangford; 09-02-2014 at 04:40 PM.
glangford is online now  
post #11224 of 11233 Old 09-02-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 130
^I'm just wondering why you are renting and buying movies on DVD when they are available on Blu-ray and you have a great Blu-ray player to watch them on.
Inquiring mind(s) want(s) to know...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #11225 of 11233 Old 09-03-2014, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^I'm just wondering why you are renting and buying movies on DVD when they are available on Blu-ray and you have a great Blu-ray player to watch them on.
Inquiring mind(s) want(s) to know...
I have a 47" display (LG47LH90). The Oppo does a good job of upscaling, not as good as my old 83, but still good. With my size display and relative seating positions about 8 ft, with good upscaling it doesn't seem to matter all that much. Now when I buy a film I know I want to own, I buy Blu-ray. Renting from netflix, I'll stick to DVD, never had a bad disc, in fact I guess with most moving to Blu-ray they seem brand new every time I get one.

I also have a pretty massive library of DVDs I never intend to update to BD. I'm pretty happy with screen size seating position and the player's ability to upscale. it makes me want to splurge for a 10x darbee edition player that might upscale on par with the 83?

That was the only downside to yesterday buying Nebraska on DVD, I would have normally bought Blu-ray, but I wanted to make sure I got a DVD that was authored the same and I wasn't convinced that the DVD extra in the blu-ray would be authored the same. I've noticed that sometimes DVD extras are even lower bit versions of a normal DVD, I guess under the assumption that they are primarily used for computer and car watching.
glangford is online now  
post #11226 of 11233 Old 09-03-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I have a 47" display (LG47LH90). The Oppo does a good job of upscaling, not as good as my old 83, but still good. With my size display and relative seating positions about 8 ft, with good upscaling it doesn't seem to matter all that much. Now when I buy a film I know I want to own, I buy Blu-ray. Renting from netflix, I'll stick to DVD, never had a bad disc, in fact I guess with most moving to Blu-ray they seem brand new every time I get one.

I also have a pretty massive library of DVDs I never intend to update to BD. I'm pretty happy with screen size seating position and the player's ability to upscale. it makes me want to splurge for a 10x darbee edition player that might upscale on par with the 83?

That was the only downside to yesterday buying Nebraska on DVD, I would have normally bought Blu-ray, but I wanted to make sure I got a DVD that was authored the same and I wasn't convinced that the DVD extra in the blu-ray would be authored the same. I've noticed that sometimes DVD extras are even lower bit versions of a normal DVD, I guess under the assumption that they are primarily used for computer and car watching.
I think you would like the extra features and quality of a 10xD over the 83 (and 95).
I also have a 47" mediocre Sony panel in my living room, and even at 10' away I can easily see a difference (between BD and DVD).
...and yes, with Darbee too, but in that situation it's more subtle than on my projection system.
To me it's worth the difference in price for the bump up in PQ and SQ (BD vs DVD) too if you have a nice system to listen on.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #11227 of 11233 Old 09-05-2014, 01:56 AM
Newbie
 
bobotto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WTB 95 ISO Compatible

I'm looking to buy a BDP 95 ISO compatible player
Anybody has 1 for sale?
bobotto is offline  
post #11228 of 11233 Old 09-05-2014, 07:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobotto View Post
I'm looking to buy a BDP 95 ISO compatible player
Anybody has 1 for sale?
Check ebay - there's at least 1 listed at the moment that has the older ISO capable firmware.
gsr is online now  
post #11229 of 11233 Old 09-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pontllanfraith
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My BDP-95 has just started refusing to play certain discs or getting stuck half way through, and so far appears to only affect DVD and SACD. Since the problems started, I have managed to continue playing CDs and Blu-Rays without problem. Anybody care to guess what's going wrong here? Perhaps it's only affecting dual layer discs? I have had the player for over 2 years and this is the first time I have had any problems with it.

If the problem is lens related, are there any decent lens cleaners out there or am I better off sending it back and getting it serviced professionally?


Thanks for any advice.
sparkmeister is offline  
post #11230 of 11233 Old 09-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkmeister View Post
My BDP-95 has just started refusing to play certain discs or getting stuck half way through, and so far appears to only affect DVD and SACD. Since the problems started, I have managed to continue playing CDs and Blu-Rays without problem. Anybody care to guess what's going wrong here? Perhaps it's only affecting dual layer discs? I have had the player for over 2 years and this is the first time I have had any problems with it.

If the problem is lens related, are there any decent lens cleaners out there or am I better off sending it back and getting it serviced professionally?


Thanks for any advice.
Give OPPO Tech Support a call and they can help you diagnose this. The most likely reason is that the lens needs to be cleaned, but there are other possibilities that would require service. They can explain the options for cleaning it yourself. Or you could send it in and they'd take care of it. They have reasonably priced, flat-rate service for players out of warranty.
--Bob
sparkmeister likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #11231 of 11233 Old 09-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pontllanfraith
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks Bob. I'll do that.
sparkmeister is offline  
post #11232 of 11233 Old 09-10-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 2,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 43
You might want to clean the hubs on the optical drive. If they get dirty, the discs slip and causes playback issues. I had that problem. Cleaning the hub fixed my issues...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off