Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #11281 of 11309 Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Unfortunately, the Kirkland alkaline batteries from Costco was giving me the most problems... Leakage ruined my Fujitsu a/c remote, a Pioneer remote, a JVC RS projector remote, a couple of flashlights and a RS multimeter. The Fujitsu remote was the one that cost me $200 to replace. That's when I converted to lithium batteries.

I was considering using rechargeables but they only output 1.2 volts instead of 1.5 volts. That voltage shortage is magnified when using multi-cell devices, e.g. four cells would only be 4.8 volts vs. 6 volts which was too low for some devices...

On a side note, it is almost impossible to get Duracell or Eveready to repair or replace a device ruined by battery leakage, although they guarantee no leakage.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11282 of 11309 Old 11-13-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Does anyone of you know if that latest firmware update of October, 31 2014
with no. BDP9xEU-82-1009
would ruin the possibility of playing Blu-ray backups (incl. the foder's structure) form a USB-connected external drive option ??

I have put quite many of my discs to such a disk and do not want to loose the conveniency.

The newer models like 103 do not allow that, but our 95s' do

So...please a hint, if it is worth to update the firmware.
Any help appreciated much.
post #11283 of 11309 Old 11-13-2014, 02:59 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jack_ View Post
Hi guys,

Does anyone of you know if that latest firmware update of October, 31 2014
with no. BDP9xEU-82-1009
would ruin the possibility of playing Blu-ray backups (incl. the foder's structure) form a USB-connected external drive option ??

I have put quite many of my discs to such a disk and do not want to loose the conveniency.

The newer models like 103 do not allow that, but our 95s' do

So...please a hint, if it is worth to update the firmware.
Any help appreciated much.
It's been reported either here or in the BDP-93 thread that BDMV playback still works with the new firmware.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #11284 of 11309 Old 11-13-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
It's been reported either here or in the BDP-93 thread that BDMV playback still works with the new firmware.

-Bill
That is great news
Thank you so much wmcclain.
Will do it now and keep the thumbs.

IT IS ALL OK, GUYS.

The function has not been removed.

Last edited by _Jack_; 11-14-2014 at 12:18 PM.
post #11285 of 11309 Old 12-02-2014, 06:32 AM

Can some one advise me about multiple stereo connections? For stereo playback I currently have RCAs out direct to my Arcam 10 (+10P) amp via Graham Slee Novo headphone amp. Also RCAs for AV/multichannel analogue through my Pioneer SCLX87 (with FL&R to the Arcam set). I'm about to upgrade my stereo amps to Cambridge Audio Azur 851A (and possibly eventually 851W power amp), which have XLR connections as well as RCA.

Comments welcome on:

1. Anyone's experience of using Oppos into the CA Azur 851A
2. Can I use BOTH the XLR and RCA stereo outs of the Oppo - so that the headphone amp remains RCA (without throughput to the Azur 851) while the direct connection from Oppo to Azur 851 is XLR? If so, in multichannel analogue audio which route do the FL&R take? Sorry if that's an ignorant question - I set the current system up some time ago and can't recall the routes and reasoning! I think the latter is superfluous q as the connection is still RCA through the Pioneer's FL&R pre-outs.

Thanks

S
post #11286 of 11309 Old 12-02-2014, 06:56 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Yes you can use both the RCA and the XLR pairs of the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs at the same time, and also wire the multi-channel outputs as well. All are live together. Note that there is only one Volume setting affecting all of them, and the XLR outputs are 6dB hotter by design. (The device you connect them to may compensate for this.)

Set Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO, so that the two stereo pairs operate independently of the settings affecting LF/RF of the multi-channel set.
--Bob
Viritrilbia likes this.
post #11287 of 11309 Old 12-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know purists will scoff at this, but I am currently using these RCA splitters:

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-29737-SonicWave-Y-Cable-Charcoal/dp/B0002JFOAU/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

At one time, I needed to run 3 analog RCA outs: one goes to my $$$ tube amp/speakers, one goes to my much cheaper solid state headphone amp, and one goes to my DVD/HDD recorder as I often record DVDs or BR discs (sssssh!). I have tried all the analog outs, including going XLR to RCA with a custom cable, which purists also scoff at. I've also tried the multichannel outs. These are my findings (albeit psychological maybe):

1. XLR to RCA cable: just a tad bit more treble than going RCA-RCA all the way.
2. Multichannel outs: I do hear a bit less detail due to less DACs per channel.
3. Using the splitter above on the dedicated analog outs: really can't tell the diff compared to going with a single dedicated cable. The splitter is high quality with silver soldered connections, and my feeling is it's so short it doesn't impair signal much. Note I have a $500 Acoustic Zen RCA going from one of the splitters to my tube amp! The other splitter goes to my DVD/HDD recorder.

If I absolutely need a third analog out, I'd go for the XLR to RCA, but I'm not using it now. For me, I'm going more with versatility on the Oppo than acoustic nirvana.

What I'm also doing right now is using the Oppo to dub CD audio to my DVD/HDD recorder. This way I can play CDs on my notebook which doesn't have a CD drive (for plane flights). I create a video file on my DVD/HDD recorder (albeit blank with audio only) and copy the files to the HDD of the notebook. I found the sound quality to be quite superb, not quite as transparent as playing directly off the CD, but close. I am using the ole discontinued Toshiba RD-XS series of HDD recorders and the audio quality of the videos are exemplary, especially when recording off TV channels. The sound quality is 3D and immersive. Or dubbing DVD/BRs of concert performances (albeit at 480 dpi), for the same purpose of playing them on my notebook without a CD drive (which is where the component outs of the BDP-95 really come in handy). That's why I decided to dub audio CDs too. Credit also goes to the DACs in the Oppo.
Viritrilbia likes this.
post #11288 of 11309 Old 12-02-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Latest firmware and photo CD/DVDs?

Hi, Does anyone know if the Oct 2014 firmware would have affected the ability for me to play a burned photo DVD? I have a Photo DVD with slide shows that was created by Costco photo. It used to play fine and now does not. Only thing that I think could have changed is the firmware. "Photo" shows up on the player, but on the screen it acts as if there is no disc at all. Thanks for any tips.
post #11289 of 11309 Old 12-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ I don't know of any changes that would have affected that, but this is a relatively rare use of the player, so something could have happened without being spotted yet. I suggest you email OPPO Tech Support with the details of the disc, and what firmware was in the player when you last played it, so they can look into it. See if you can read the manufacturer and disc type info from the burned disc media. It may be etched near the center hole.

Burned discs can be tricky because both the media used (at least some brands) and the disc burner can produce flaky results compared to commercial discs. For example, one of the most common problems is when the disc burner is set to burn the disc too fast -- too high a multiple of normal playing speed.

I'm assuming that regular SD-DVD movies still play without problem. If that's NOT true then you may simply have a bit of dust on the lens for the red laser (used for CD and SD-DVD playback). OPPO can walk you through your options for cleaning the lens.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11290 of 11309 Old 12-03-2014, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oppo95 Playerlist

Creating a playerlist is not a problem at all however, after Oppo off/on the playerlist has disappeared.
Is it possible please, to save this list for using it later on as well?
Thank you in advance.
post #11291 of 11309 Old 12-03-2014, 04:34 AM
One-Man Content Creator

I don't believe it is possible, but try the owner's thread: Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #11292 of 11309 Old 12-03-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Can I burn FLAC files on a CD or DVD and have the Oppo play it back? What about a USB flash drive? Is there any requirements needed. What about 24 bit/192 kHz files?

post #11293 of 11309 Old 12-06-2014, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I don't believe it is possible, but try the owner's thread: Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread

-Bill
Thanks a lot Bill.
post #11294 of 11309 Old 12-07-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Can I burn FLAC files on a CD or DVD and have the Oppo play it back? What about a USB flash drive? Is there any requirements needed. What about 24 bit/192 kHz files?
Can't answer about the Oppo reading flac files on a cd or dvd, but you can place flac files (including multi-channel and/or 24/192 flac files) on a usb flash drive or even a USB external hard drive (up to 2TB in size).
The drive should be NTFS formatted.
post #11295 of 11309 Old 12-08-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I got the flash drive working but it does not work with the files on a burned disc...

post #11296 of 11309 Old 12-08-2014, 08:51 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
I got the flash drive working but it does not work with the files on a burned disc...
That should work. Does the disc mount? If put other types of files (audio, video, photo) on the disc do they appear?

-Bill

post #11297 of 11309 Old 12-10-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I saw your post the other day but did not have time to check. Just now I dug out one my dual layer DVD's with my FLAC backups (use FLAC on flash drives for late night headphone listening) burned stored complete with folders, never tried this before but stuck it in my 95 and home media came up went to music and then into folders and voila 10cc is playing away nicely. They are minimum compression and burned to a dual layer DVD +R because the disc was full it was finalised, whether an un finalised or DVD RW would work I don't know. I have also done the same with some MP3 burned to CD for backup a while back on an Oppo 93 and they also played back fine.

PS regards compression it is a lossless compression option and I checked the difference in file size between maximum and minimum and there is so little saving in file size I decided not to bother

Last edited by Rick R; 12-10-2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Change text
post #11298 of 11309 Old 12-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

-Bill
Bill I am puzzled I have seen you reference to the OP on other occasions to try the owners thread as above. But this is the official owners thread isn't it or was this initial query posted elsewhere first.

A totally confused Rick
post #11299 of 11309 Old 12-10-2014, 08:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
Bill I am puzzled I have seen you reference to the OP on other occasions to try the owners thread as above. But this is the official owners thread isn't it or was this initial query posted elsewhere first.

A totally confused Rick
Yes: people start threads elsewhere and the forum moderators move them into here, retaining my now pointless suggestion.

I've starting just sending the moderators a message about the needed move without posting to the public. Confusion and forum traffic will both be reduced!

-Bill

post #11300 of 11309 Old 12-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes: people start threads elsewhere and the forum moderators move them into here, retaining my now pointless suggestion.

I've starting just sending the moderators a message about the needed move without posting to the public. Confusion and forum traffic will both be reduced!

-Bill
Thanks for the clarification Bill and ending my confusion. In addition a thank you for your excellent and informative posts, always a worthwhile read.
post #11301 of 11309 Old 12-11-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hook up question

Hi, current oppo 93 owner, thinking of getting a 95.

Are the benefits of the 95 over the 93 defeated by using HDMI to connect for audio? My 93 is connected via HDMI.

I have an Onkyo 5010, & just added an Emotiva UPA 7 to it via the pre outs. I am running 9.1 in my theatre area, along with 2 outdoor speakers via zone 2. Is there a way to hook up the 95 via the analog outs with this set up? I believe I read that the oppo would connect to pre outs that are now occupied by the Emotiva amp.

Any help, suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

Kevin
post #11302 of 11309 Old 12-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

The added benefit of the 95 -- its more exotic Analog audio output solution -- only applies if you use its Analog outputs.

You might also want to consider a 105 or 105D as an alternative if you are interested in making the step up in Analog audio output quality. These add additional features such as digital audio INPUTS which CAN be heard via HDMI Audio output (as well as the Analog outputs). The two HDMI Inputs can be used for both digital audio and video input into the player. You also get a headphones output jack.

If your intent is to continue using HDMI output. You should probably stick with the 93 or upgrade to a 103 or 103D.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11303 of 11309 Old 12-15-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi everyone.

I’m on the verge of buying a used Oppo 95 to use as media player that reads audio/video files from an external HDD, and my goal is to send the image through HDMI to a projector and the sound through the analog outputs to the AV receiver and stereo amplifier.

My doubt is if I’d have to always turn the projector ON when I want to listen to stereo music. To avoid using too much the projector’s bulb the ideal would be perhaps to have a small LCD screen somewhere on the room just for this, or maybe control the Oppo with a cheap tablet, but is this possible? Is this how most persons use their Oppo’s, or is there another way?

Thanks in advance for all comments.
post #11304 of 11309 Old 12-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
Hi everyone.

I’m on the verge of buying a used Oppo 95 to use as media player that reads audio/video files from an external HDD, and my goal is to send the image through HDMI to a projector and the sound through the analog outputs to the AV receiver and stereo amplifier.

My doubt is if I’d have to always turn the projector ON when I want to listen to stereo music. To avoid using too much the projector’s bulb the ideal would be perhaps to have a small LCD screen somewhere on the room just for this, or maybe control the Oppo with a cheap tablet, but is this possible? Is this how most persons use their Oppo’s, or is there another way?

See post 6352.
post #11305 of 11309 Old 12-15-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
Hi everyone.

You can use the Oppo Media Control app (for the 9x) to control the player without having the video on. I use it for stereo listening most of the time.
post #11306 of 11309 Old 12-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Alternatively, the Component Video output of the 95 can be used to drive a small LCD display. That should be a cheaper option than finding a small HDMI-capable LCD display. Such displays are typically sold as portable displays for use with video cameras or in a car. Get one with an AC adapter for power.
--Bob

post #11307 of 11309 Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

A friend of mine said that the Oppo BDP-95 cannot play back Expendables 3's Dolby Atmos soundtrack. He gets a lot of dropouts in the audio. He was told that a number of older players (including the Oppo 83/93) do not meet the latest Blu-Ray specs and they cannot playback Atmos encoded sound...

post #11308 of 11309 Old Today, 01:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
A friend of mine said that the Oppo BDP-95 cannot play back Expendables 3's Dolby Atmos soundtrack. He gets a lot of dropouts in the audio. He was told that a number of older players (including the Oppo 83/93) do not meet the latest Blu-Ray specs and they cannot playback Atmos encoded sound...
The actual issue is not with Dolby Atmos.
The issue, which has been around for a long time now, is with soundtracks that feature Dolby TrueHD and seamless branching.
Since Dolby Atmos uses TrueHD coding, that is why there are issues with some Atmos soundtracks (the ones with seamless branching).

With other soundtracks that are not Atmos soundtracks, but do have TrueHD encoding,
you will have the possibility of some slight random audio dropouts during playback if you bitstream the audio
to an external TrueHD decoder, like in an avr or pre/pro unit.
However, if you go into the player's menu, and change the hdmi audio output from bitstream to PCM,
then this will actually cure the issue and the dropouts will not occur.

^This method won't work with Atmos soundtracks though, because in order to decode Atmos,
you need to bitstream the audio to an external decoder and thus can not use the internal decoding of the player and output the audio as PCM.
So if the user has an Atmos setup and does need to bitstream the audio, then these dropouts are likely to occur.
If you do not have an Atmos setup, then again these issues can be easily fixed by using PCM output from the player,
which is simply the player decoding the audio instead of the avr or pre/pro.
When using this method, if your system is setup properly, they should sound exactly the same,
so no audio quality is lost by using this 'workaround'.

Oppo's only official statement regarding the issue is that, the only Oppo players guaranteed to not have audio
dropouts from Atmos soundtracks with seamless branching, are the 10x series of players (BDP-103, 103D, 105, 105D).
Based on that statement, it seems pretty obvious that, unfortunately, the issue can't be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #11309 of 11309 Old Today, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
Can't answer about the Oppo reading flac files on a cd or dvd, but you can place flac files (including multi-channel and/or 24/192 flac files) on a usb flash drive or even a USB external hard drive (up to 2TB in size).
The drive should be NTFS formatted.
Another option is to use a free program for mac users called Burn. It will burn flac files and create a DVD-audio disc. It works very well.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player