Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #11311 of 11320 Old 12-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
If you are also using the stereo amp as part of the multi-channel configuration, then you have a problem if you want the stereo outputs to operate independently. That's because they get a stereo down-mix when you play multi-channel content. So Center and the Surrounds content ALSO appears in them.

Instead, set Stereo Signal to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT, and wire the Dedicated L/R outputs in lieu of the multi-channel LF/RF outputs. Set this way, the Dedicated L/R act just like LF/RF -- responding to all the settings that normally apply to LF/RF.

But then the Dedicated L/R will NOT get a down-mix when you play multi-channel content. And when you play Stereo content, if LF/RF are set to SMALL, then bass steering will also happen on the Dedicated L/R -- meaning bass goes to the Sub.

So you have to think carefully about what you are trying to do here. If you want the stereo path to be independent, you can't also use its amp for the multi-channel path without paying attention to the type of content and the settings.
--Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11312 of 11320 Old 12-21-2014, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you are also using the stereo amp as part of the multi-channel configuration, then you have a problem if you want the stereo outputs to operate independently. That's because they get a stereo down-mix when you play multi-channel content. So Center and the Surrounds content ALSO appears in them.

Instead, set Stereo Signal to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT, and wire the Dedicated L/R outputs in lieu of the multi-channel LF/RF outputs. Set this way, the Dedicated L/R act just like LF/RF -- responding to all the settings that normally apply to LF/RF.

But then the Dedicated L/R will NOT get a down-mix when you play multi-channel content. And when you play Stereo content, if LF/RF are set to SMALL, then bass steering will also happen on the Dedicated L/R -- meaning bass goes to the Sub.

So you have to think carefully about what you are trying to do here. If you want the stereo path to be independent, you can't also use its amp for the multi-channel path without paying attention to the type of content and the settings.
--Bob

Sorry Bob. I'm now more confused - my ignorance no doubt! If I start from scratch to explain my set-up.

For stereo music listening I use the Oppo via XLR cables direct to Cambridge Audio Azur 851a. I have Stereo signal on the Oppo set to Front Left/Right. Front L/R are set as 'Large'. I don't have a sub connected direct to the CA Azur or the Oppo and don't need one for stereo music. My Pioneer SC LX87 is not switched on.

For SACD multi-channel (and DVD/Blu-ray audio, and sometimes concert DVDs/Blu-rays) I currently have RCA phonos from Oppo to Pioneer SC LX87, with pre-outs for FL and FR from the Pioneer to the CA Azur. I do not want this to downmix to stereo. I have a sub connected to the Pioneer.

I think this has been working OK. But I just wondered whether in fact the FL & FR phono link from the Oppo to the Pioneer was superfluous - if the XLRs are carrying the FL and FR anyway?

Or is your point that I'm missing something else?

thanks
V

Last edited by Viritrilbia; 12-21-2014 at 11:15 AM.
post #11313 of 11320 Old 12-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

Your current configuration will work.

If you disconnect the LF/RF pre-outs running from the Pioneer to the Cambridge, the question is Volume control for multi-channel listening. You can't use the Volume on the Pioneer of course because it would not affect the XLR audio going direct to the Cambridge. If you are instead using Volume control in the OPPO 95, then you'll need to check your speaker trims. The XLR outputs are, by design, +6dB hotter than the RCA outputs. Your Cambridge may already be compensating for that, but you'll need to check. If you use DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion, be aware that speaker trims are not available.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11314 of 11320 Old 12-21-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Your current configuration will work.

If you disconnect the LF/RF pre-outs running from the Pioneer to the Cambridge, the question is Volume control for multi-channel listening. You can't use the Volume on the Pioneer of course because it would not affect the XLR audio going direct to the Cambridge. If you are instead using Volume control in the OPPO 95, then you'll need to check your speaker trims. The XLR outputs are, by design, +6dB hotter than the RCA outputs. Your Cambridge may already be compensating for that, but you'll need to check. If you use DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion, be aware that speaker trims are not available.
--Bob
Thanks Bob.

I think I'll leave the Pioneer pre-outs to carry the FL&R for multi-channel listening.

I do use the variable volume on the Oppo. I found the Pioneer showed an overload (can't recall how - I think a red indicator lit up) when the Oppo was at full volume, so I drop it to 95 for multi-channel. But I also connect the Oppo using the FL/FR RCA phonos to a headphone amp (Graham Slee Novo) which does not have a remote. So, to control headphone listening volume I set the HP amp manual volume to 9 o'clock and then use the Oppo's variable control. I usually need to drop it to between 80 and 90 for rock recordings but set it between 90 and 100 for classical recordings - due to the propensity of recording engineers to record at louder levels for rock, I guess.

V
post #11315 of 11320 Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
connecting to a PC

Hello,

I just got my first DAP and now I'm wondering how do I record my SACDs from my Oppo onto my DAP/PC?
post #11316 of 11320 Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ SACDs are copy protected. So the OPPO is supposed to prevent copying their digital audio. Of course the Analog outputs are not copy protected.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11317 of 11320 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
^ SACDs are copy protected. So the OPPO is supposed to prevent copying their digital audio. Of course the Analog outputs are not copy protected.
--Bob
Thanks for the quick reply,Bob.

So I'm unable to put the full sound of my SACD collection onto my new Pono DAP?
post #11318 of 11320 Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just acquired a Lexicon RV8. For the analog outputs from the Oppo 95, the sound was clipping when the Oppo volume was set to 100. It sounded awful. I was able to adjust the Oppo volume down to get it into the right range without clipping and now it sounds amazing. However, when using the digital output through the coax, I'm still running into the same issue of clipping. Is there any way to control the digital out volume from the Oppo.
post #11319 of 11320 Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 189
^I doubt that the player is at fault. More than likely it's something else causing the clipping.
To be sure you are getting the best performance from the player, make sure the firmware is up to date.
There is no way to control the digital volume of the player. It only has volume control for analog other than mute.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #11320 of 11320 Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the answer on the digital volume control. I wonder if it is just as simple as being a cd that was recorded at the high volume levels and compressed dynamic range.
post #11321 of 11320 Old Today, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
See post 6352.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viritrilbia View Post
You can use the Oppo Media Control app (for the 9x) to control the player without having the video on. I use it for stereo listening most of the time.
Quote:
^ Alternatively, the Component Video output of the 95 can be used to drive a small LCD display. That should be a cheaper option than finding a small HDMI-capable LCD display. Such displays are typically sold as portable displays for use with video cameras or in a car. Get one with an AC adapter for power.
--Bob
Thanks, guys. I'll research those solutions. I bought the player, I'll receive it in a few days.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page