post #11341 of 11368 Old 01-05-2015, 07:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viritrilbia View Post
Bob... If the source material is stereo, the sub is not plugged into the Oppo but the AV amp/processor which is not switched on, and the Oppo is played through a stereo amp (via its XLR outs), what effect does the crossover have if Stereo Signal is set to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT? Is it going to lose the bass below the crossover? My experience is that it doesn't seem to. I have a track I use to test deep bass - Porcupine Tree's 'Russia On Ice' - and the deep bass is there as far as my ears and body tell me. I tried leaving the AV processor on to see if anything would emerge from the sub, but it didn't. Would I be correct to say the only bass affected by the crossover is LFE bass?
As I recall, you have LF/RF set to LARGE, in which case you won't get bass steered to the Sub from those due to the Crossover setting. It will only steer bass for the other speakers you have set to SMALL.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11342 of 11368 Old 01-05-2015, 07:33 AM
Read the FAQ!

* ignore this post -- trying to clear an AVS problem in the thread *

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11343 of 11368 Old 01-05-2015, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
As I recall, you have LF/RF set to LARGE, in which case you won't get bass steered to the Sub from those due to the Crossover setting. It will only steer bass for the other speakers you have set to SMALL.
--Bob
Excellent. Thanks Bob.
post #11344 of 11368 Old 01-08-2015, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
I am having an issue with playing back FLAC files (192kHz/24 bit) on my Oppo 95... This is whether i am using either a USB Flash Drive or files burned on a disc. When I first turn on the player, there is random dropouts, several times in a song. If I go back to the beginning, the dropouts occur in different times on the recording. After ten minutes or so, the issues vanish. I can go back to the beginning and playback the files and they will play back perfectly fine.

The audio is being sent out via the analog outputs. Even if I switch to HDMI or digital out, the dropouts still happens.

Any ideas?
Bump?

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #11345 of 11368 Old 01-08-2015, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Only replying today, I’ve been under the weather, but due to that I used the OPPO 95 a lot lately. One of my conclusions so far is that it’s hard for me to use the remote (I have limited hand dexterity), so I’ll probably benefit from controlling it through a tablet or smartphone.

I don’t have a tablet or smartphone yet (I’m old-school), so I can’t test it, can someone who uses one of them say if there’s any disadvantage with these? From the youtube videos I saw it seems a LOT faster to browse, which is great because I have many albums and movies, but better make sure there are no issues.

It’s only necessary to connect the USB PEN, and it should work, correct? (I don’t have a router)

Edited: another doubt I got when researching about this is if when the PURE AUDIO button is pressed, and everything not necessary is turned OFF, if we still can browse/control everything with the tablet/smartphone.

I’m also looking at the DLNA server mentioned by wmcclain, to allow me to access more than 2TB. I don’t have a router or NAS, so that’d be an expense I’d prefer to avoid, but it may make sense. I browsed a bit though the thread and didn’t find posts mentioning problems with this, but since I’m posting I’ll ask if there’s any risk of loss of quality – in particular regarding stereo sound quality - when using a wireless connection.
post #11346 of 11368 Old 01-08-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
Only replying today, I’ve been under the weather, but due to that I used the OPPO 95 a lot lately. One of my conclusions so far is that it’s hard for me to use the remote (I have limited hand dexterity), so I’ll probably benefit from controlling it through a tablet or smartphone.

I don’t have a tablet or smartphone yet (I’m old-school), so I can’t test it, can someone who uses one of them say if there’s any disadvantage with these? From the youtube videos I saw it seems a LOT faster to browse, which is great because I have many albums and movies, but better make sure there are no issues.

It’s only necessary to connect the USB PEN, and it should work, correct? (I don’t have a router)

Edited: another doubt I got when researching about this is if when the PURE AUDIO button is pressed, and everything not necessary is turned OFF, if we still can browse/control everything with the tablet/smartphone.

I’m also looking at the DLNA server mentioned by wmcclain, to allow me to access more than 2TB. I don’t have a router or NAS, so that’d be an expense I’d prefer to avoid, but it may make sense. I browsed a bit though the thread and didn’t find posts mentioning problems with this, but since I’m posting I’ll ask if there’s any risk of loss of quality – in particular regarding stereo sound quality - when using a wireless connection.
I would go with a harmony remote. it works great with my oppo 93 player.

Jacob
post #11347 of 11368 Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post
I would go with a harmony remote. it works great with my oppo 93 player.
Thanks, I'll look into it, but I worry if I'd have the same problem with one of those, the buttons probably are similar. A smartphone or tablet (without having tried) seems to be easier in that regard. I think the more expensive Harmony remotes are also touch sensitve, but not the cheaper ones, so if it's not necessary a router to control a tablet/smartphone using the OPPO USB pen, it could be a cheaper option.
Jacob305 likes this.
post #11348 of 11368 Old 01-10-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
Thanks, I'll look into it, but I worry if I'd have the same problem with one of those, the buttons probably are similar. A smartphone or tablet (without having tried) seems to be easier in that regard. I think the more expensive Harmony remotes are also touch sensitve, but not the cheaper ones, so if it's not necessary a router to control a tablet/smartphone using the OPPO USB pen, it could be a cheaper option.
its like anything else, you need to learn how to use it. I have the harmony touch. its been working fine for several years now. as much as the world wants everyone to use the tablet or smart phone. I prefer the harmony.

Jacob
post #11349 of 11368 Old 01-11-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Re: BDP-95 Will Not Play FLAC over Network

Late to the show here, but I was hoping someone could help me out. This is my first post here, so go easy on me. I just set up a BDP-95 to play music over the network. I'm using Universal Media Server and it can see all my drives and files and pull them up no problem. However, when I try to play FLAC files (24/96 and 24/192), they just act like they're starting to play and then jump back to the song list. Oddly, MP3 files play fine, but that's not what I'm using this for. Anyone else experienced this problem? My guess is that it's a simple setting somewhere. Thanks!
post #11350 of 11368 Old 01-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ First try putting some of the problem files on a directly attached hard drive or USB stick and see if they will play that way.

If they don't play, use the MediaInfo utility to list out the details of the file and post it here.

If they play OK on a directly attached drive, check to see if your server is set to "transcode" FLAC files into something else.
--Bob

post #11351 of 11368 Old 01-11-2015, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
^ First try putting some of the problem files on a directly attached hard drive or USB stick and see if they will play that way.

If they don't play, use the MediaInfo utility to list out the details of the file and post it here.

If they play OK on a directly attached drive, check to see if your server is set to "transcode" FLAC files into something else.
--Bob
Thanks for the quick reply Bob! Yeah, files play fine when a flash or hard drive is plugged directly into the Oppo. Already tried that. I've actually gone into Universal Media Server and added FLAC and WAV to the do not transcode list, but no luck there. Still unsure how to proceed. Maybe I should try another media server instead of Universal Media Server?
post #11352 of 11368 Old 01-12-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

My problem is worse... My player will not play any FLAC files for the first several minutes without dropouts. After that, it's fine. Does not matter if it's on a flash drive, burned disc or HDD... The problem is always there... Don't know what's wrong...

post #11353 of 11368 Old 01-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ If possible, disconnect HDMI (both for audio and video) and check using just the Analog audio outputs (no video). You only need to hook up LF/RF Analog to check this -- connect into any stereo Analog input of your AVR. Wait until the player and AVR are both cool -- after being off a few hours or overnight.

Now power them both on, and play some FLAC files. Do you still get the dropouts? If not then the player is actually playing the FLAC files correctly, and it appears you have an HDMI issue that is cured by letting the electronics warm up. The reason it may be limited to FLAC might be if those are high bit-rate files, such as 96KHz or 192KHz.

The player's HDMI really should not be affected by whether or not the player is warmed up, but your AVR might be different. To tell for sure, you'd need to leave one powered while the other one cools off -- then test. Then reverse which one is cool and test again.

Brief audio dropouts over HDMI (a couple seconds each) typically mean that HDMI copy protection is unhappy, and is muting the audio while it does an HDMI handshake retry. I.e., it is a type of handshake failure. As always the first thing to look to in such cases is the quality of your HDMI cabling. Make sure the plugs are fully inserted STRAIGHT into the sockets with nothing (e.g., cable weight) tugging them in any direction. All of your HDMI cables should be cables sold as "High Speed", or "For 1080p", or "Category 2", which all mean the same thing. HDMI is an end to end protocol, so any cable -- even the one to the display -- may be the culprit.

Another way to test if HDMI cabling is the culprit is to reduce the overall bandwidth on the HDMI cables. Set Deep Color OFF in the OPPO and then try Resolutions of 720p and 1080i. If those work, but 1080p does NOT work then that points to marginal cabling. Now of course the cables won't change just because the electronics heats up, so your root problem would appear to be a weak HDMI transmitter or receiver circuit. But better cabling might just give the slight increase in signal robustness to get around that.
--Bob

post #11354 of 11368 Old 01-12-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^ If possible, disconnect HDMI (both for audio and video) and check using just the Analog audio outputs (no video). You only need to hook up LF/RF Analog to check this -- connect into any stereo Analog input of your AVR. Wait until the player and AVR are both cool -- after being off a few hours or overnight.

Now power them both on, and play some FLAC files. Do you still get the dropouts? If not then the player is actually playing the FLAC files correctly, and it appears you have an HDMI issue that is cured by letting the electronics warm up. The reason it may be limited to FLAC might be if those are high bit-rate files, such as 96KHz or 192KHz.

The player's HDMI really should not be affected by whether or not the player is warmed up, but your AVR might be different. To tell for sure, you'd need to leave one powered while the other one cools off -- then test. Then reverse which one is cool and test again.

Brief audio dropouts over HDMI (a couple seconds each) typically mean that HDMI copy protection is unhappy, and is muting the audio while it does an HDMI handshake retry. I.e., it is a type of handshake failure. As always the first thing to look to in such cases is the quality of your HDMI cabling. Make sure the plugs are fully inserted STRAIGHT into the sockets with nothing (e.g., cable weight) tugging them in any direction. All of your HDMI cables should be cables sold as "High Speed", or "For 1080p", or "Category 2", which all mean the same thing. HDMI is an end to end protocol, so any cable -- even the one to the display -- may be the culprit.

Another way to test if HDMI cabling is the culprit is to reduce the overall bandwidth on the HDMI cables. Set Deep Color OFF in the OPPO and then try Resolutions of 720p and 1080i. If those work, but 1080p does NOT work then that points to marginal cabling. Now of course the cables won't change just because the electronics heats up, so your root problem would appear to be a weak HDMI transmitter or receiver circuit. But better cabling might just give the slight increase in signal robustness to get around that.
--Bob
The Oppo is connected to an Acurus stereo amplifier through the analog left/rights only. The Oppo HDMI ports are connected to a Pioneer AVR which is not powered on when playing the FLAC files. I f I do not use the Acurus and use only the Pioneer, I still get the dropouts. The dropouts are super short in duration, maybe a split second or so.

post #11355 of 11368 Old 01-12-2015, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 199
@Jon S

I have a similar issue with a BDP-105 I have.
I think in my particular situation, the issue is with HDMI handshaking and the external monitor I use fro navigation.
The monitor is and older Samsung PC monitor that isn't really ideal for this purpose.
It's not supposed to be compatible with 1080p resolution, but I send it that res anyway since it will display it (sort of), and it looks better.
I get a message on screen that the resolution coming in is not compatible, but then after a minute the message disappears.
I think the continued handshaking with the monitor is what is causing the issue.
If I use the Oppo Media Control app in lieu of the external monitor, then the issue isn't there.
When I do use the monitor and the audio dropouts are there, once I have audio playing,
I shut off the monitor and then after a minute or two the dropouts go away.
I just wonder if you have a similar handshaking issue.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #11356 of 11368 Old 01-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Physically disconnect the HDMI cables and try again. The first step is to eliminate HDMI as the problem. Your AVR may be keeping its HDMI inputs live even when it is "off".
--Bob
post #11357 of 11368 Old 01-16-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm probably missing something obvious...

And I certainly haven't read this whole thread. On a couple of occasions the screen saver has turned magenta, and the magenta persists when I go to play a disc. Turning the player off and on clears it up.
post #11358 of 11368 Old 01-16-2015, 12:48 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pearce View Post
And I certainly haven't read this whole thread. On a couple of occasions the screen saver has turned magenta, and the magenta persists when I go to play a disc. Turning the player off and on clears it up.
That indicates the player and display are disagreeing on a color space to use. Try to start everything up in the same order each time. I do display first, player last.

If that's not the solution, tell us more and we'll try other diagnostics.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #11359 of 11368 Old 01-16-2015, 01:38 PM

No, it's something other than the startup sequence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
That indicates the player and display are disagreeing on a color space to use. Try to start everything up in the same order each time. I do display first, player last.

If that's not the solution, tell us more and we'll try other diagnostics.

-Bill

Things work fine whether I turn the display on first or the player. As I recall I'd been playing with other sources on the Samsung 51" 5500 while the Oppo cooled its heels. I agree, it looks like the colour space is wrong when I switch back to the Oppo. It really isn't an issue for me unless it's a sign of incipient failure.
post #11360 of 11368 Old 01-16-2015, 01:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pearce View Post
Try setting an explicit HDMI Color Space choice instead of AUTO.

If that doesn't fix it, try reducing the bandwidth on the HDMI. Turn off Deep Color and then try output resolutions of 480p (nor 480i -- 480p is the "simplest" HDMI signal), then 720p, then 1080i, then 1080p. If the lower resolutions work OK but 1080p fails, that suggests you need to upgrade your HDMI cables.
--Bob

post #11361 of 11368 Old 01-16-2015, 03:08 PM

Just one cable right now Bob...

Quote:
Try setting an explicit HDMI Color Space choice instead of AUTO.

If that doesn't fix it, try reducing the bandwidth on the HDMI. Turn off Deep Color and then try output resolutions of 480p (nor 480i -- 480p is the "simplest" HDMI signal), then 720p, then 1080i, then 1080p. If the lower resolutions work OK but 1080p fails, that suggests you need to upgrade your HDMI cables.
--Bob

The one that came with the player: it looks like a good one to me. Unless I have it on backward or something. Tell me about explicit HDMI colour spaces choices? Anyway, the player is going to be used with component video in my main system - attached to an Anthem AVM 20 and Pioneer Pro-1000HD. I always imagined HDMI as bulletproof - I think I'll be happy sticking with an analog system.
post #11362 of 11368 Old 01-16-2015, 03:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Color Space is the data format used to pass the video. Set it in Video Settings > HDMI Options. As with most things HDMI, the video data format is established as part of the "HDMI handshake" with whatever is at the other end of the cable -- a negotiation between the two devices. By setting an explicit choice (typically YCbCr 4:4:4) instead of AUTO there's less chance the two device will get confused as to which format is in use. Confusion as to whether YCbCr or RGB is in use leads to either Shocking Pink or Ghastly Green video depending on which way around it goes wrong.
--Bob

post #11363 of 11368 Old 01-17-2015, 07:31 AM

Yes...

Quote:
^ Color Space is the data format used to pass the video. Set it in Video Settings > HDMI Options. As with most things HDMI, the video data format is established as part of the "HDMI handshake" with whatever is at the other end of the cable -- a negotiation between the two devices. By setting an explicit choice (typically YCbCr 4:4:4) instead of AUTO there's less chance the two device will get confused as to which format is in use. Confusion as to whether YCbCr or RGB is in use leads to either Shocking Pink or Ghastly Green video depending on which way around it goes wrong.
--Bob

Shocking pink is what I got. Thanks Bob, as I indicated this isn't really a problem - I'm just torture testing the equipment right now.
post #11364 of 11368 Old 01-17-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^ Physically disconnect the HDMI cables and try again. The first step is to eliminate HDMI as the problem. Your AVR may be keeping its HDMI inputs live even when it is "off".
--Bob
Even after unplugging all the cables other than the analog LR to the amp, the problem with the dropouts with FLAC still remain... It has to be the player...

post #11365 of 11368 Old 01-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Even after unplugging all the cables other than the analog LR to the amp, the problem with the dropouts with FLAC still remain... It has to be the player...
OK, thanks for checking that. I see you've also tried playing these FLAC files from a directly attached hard drive (i.e., not over the network) with the same problem.

I suggest you call or email OPPO Tech Support and get them one of the offending FLAC files with details of how you are hooked up to play it, and what is happening during only that period shortly after you turn things on. If they can reproduce the problem, they can probably find out what's peculiar about your FLAC files. If they CAN'T reproduce the problem they can go over your options for getting the player serviced.

There's no obvious hardware fault which would produce the problem you are describing, so OPPO may ask you to try a re-install of the firmware and a complete Reset of the player first to see if they can save you the chore of shipping it back to them.
--Bob

post #11366 of 11368 Old 01-17-2015, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

My brother has the exact same model Oppo (BDP-95EU, bought them together) as me and he has no issues whatsoever. I am on the latest firmware and I always reset the player after an update. It does not matter on what FLAC file is played, but for five or so minutes, the dropouts appear.

post #11367 of 11368 Old Today, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone tell me if the OSD only works with HDMI connections? Will it work while using component or composite connections? If not how would you make adjustments for the player if you don't have a HDMI display?

Living room; Samsung PN60F5300B Plasma TV, Marantz SR5008, Oppo BDP-103, Definitive Mytho 2's fronts, Definitive Pro Center 1000, Definitive Di 5.5R in ceilings, SVS SB-1000 subwoofer, Comcast DVR HD box.

Garage; Sherwood RX-4105 2 channel stereo receiver, Samsung DVD-C500 CD player, Klipsch KG 2.5 med Oak speakers
post #11368 of 11368 Old Today, 07:37 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post
Can someone tell me if the OSD only works with HDMI connections?
It works with all outputs.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #11369 of 11368 Old Today, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^^ Thank you!

Living room; Samsung PN60F5300B Plasma TV, Marantz SR5008, Oppo BDP-103, Definitive Mytho 2's fronts, Definitive Pro Center 1000, Definitive Di 5.5R in ceilings, SVS SB-1000 subwoofer, Comcast DVR HD box.

Garage; Sherwood RX-4105 2 channel stereo receiver, Samsung DVD-C500 CD player, Klipsch KG 2.5 med Oak speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page