Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 382 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #11431 of 11451 Old 07-06-2015, 03:58 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
Further back in this thread (post 11243 and the next 4 or 5) there was some discussion about iso, mkv, m2ts playback on the 95. I was under the impression the 95 would not play ISO files but wmcclain answered one question thus:
See the FAQ:

MakeMKV is my tool of choice these days. It's fast, cross-platform, and quality is the same as the original because it simply copies without recompression. No disc menus, though.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11432 of 11451 Old 07-06-2015, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
Further back in this thread (post 11243 and the next 4 or 5) there was some discussion about iso, mkv, m2ts playback on the 95. I was under the impression the 95 would not play ISO files but wmcclain answered one question thus:

If I connect via USB instead, should ISO work?
Yes. You'll need a USB mass storage device with MBR partitioning. That limits you to 2TB maximum.

Don't know if this was just saying YES to the 95 reading USB hard drives, or to it reading/playing ISO files. ?????

I am trying to find a solution to getting my own DVDs onto a hard drive in a format that will:

a) be played by the 95 from a usb-attached hard drive
b) have the same quality as the original DVD
c) be one single file (I have succesfully played direct bit-for-bit DVD copies - ie folders of VOB and TS files, but with some concert DVDs this causes a pause in the middle of a song presumably as the 95 switches from one vob file to the next.

I own DVDFab 9, and VideoRedo Suite 4 so would obviously prefer a solution using these packages, but I have been told on other forums to get makemv and make a single mkv file.

Tried a join process on VideoRedo to simply "join" the vob files into one, but it didn't like the LPCM sound tracks (apparently wants only PCM tracks)

Tried the Merge function on DVDFab to see if it would "merge" the VOB files but after an hour, no result. Can either of these two pieces of software create a single mkv file that the Oppo 95 could play? Remux from VOB to M2TS???

Rentention of menu functions would be good, but not a deal-breaker. Main objective is a single file providing the original quality audio and video.

Comments, suggestions etc.
The best way is to convert the DVD to MKV format. You can use MakeMKV to do this. Note that it will only convert the file to MKV and not reduce the file size, so a 7GB DVD will be a 7GB MKV file. You can use Handbrake to reduce the size to about 2GB (or smaller but with noticeable compression artifacts). MakeMKV is worth the cost. It will convert a DVD in 10-15 minutes and retain your chapters. Blu-Rays take a LOT longer, about 60-80 minutes.

If you have a wifi network, you can rip all the movies to a "cloud" drive and access them across wifi to your player or TV. Note that for this to work via wifi, you need a high speed router and the signal strength over wifi must be >90% or else you will have buffering issues.

I was having dropouts, hangs and slow response on my Oppo and Sony BDP player, I thought that my files were too big but it was caused by poor wifi. Once I got the speed >90%, all my issues disappeared.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #11433 of 11451 Old 07-06-2015, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Is the player mounting the disc? That is: can you navigate the directories and see all the files?

If not: did you by chance repartition the drive? The -95 supports only the older MBR partitioning scheme, not the newer GPT partitioning.

-Bill
Yes!!
This was the problem...
thanks, Bill!
post #11434 of 11451 Old 07-14-2015, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hi guys. I posted a few pages back about a OPPO 95 that I bought 6 months ago, I’ve been using it mostly as music player while I prepare my room and projector, and it’s a great machine, but this weekend I got stuck with a problem with the subtitle shift feature. I have a 2.35 screen, so I need to adjust the subtitles when changing between 2.35 and 16:9 content, and I’m pretty sure I tested this 6 months ago and it worked perfectly, but for some reason now it doesn’t.

When I play a file with subtitles I press the SUBTITLE button on the remote to select the correct subtitle, pressing the SUBTITLE button to choose from all the available subtitles, and the subtitle is loaded perfectly, but the subtitle shift doesn’t seem to work.

I followed the steps stated on the manual, page 39:
1. When playing a DVD, Blu-ray Disc or other video programs recorded with subtitles, select the
desired subtitle from the disc menu or using the remote. (Please refer to page 32 of this manual.)
2. Press and hold the SUBTITLE button on the remote control until the “Shift Subtitle Position”
prompt appears on the screen.
3. Wait until some subtitle text is shown on the screen. Use the UP/DOWN ARROW buttons to
move the subtitle text to the desired position.
4. Press the ENTER button to set the subtitle display position.

When I reach step 3, the “Shift Subtitle Position” prompt appears on the screen, but when a subtitle text is shown on the screen, it’s of no use to press the UP/DOWN ARROW buttons, the subtitle text doesn’t move up or down. It simply stays on the same position.

I also tried to change them in the Video Setup > Display Options > Subtitle Shift setup menu option, but no matter the number I set there, the subtitles keep appearing exactly on the same position. I changed them from 6 to 10, and got no change, and from 10 to -5, also without change.

I‘m probably missing something obvious, but I have no idea what. I'd appreciate a lot if someone can shed some light on this, or any other suggestion.
post #11435 of 11451 Old 07-14-2015, 04:37 PM
One-Man Content Creator

How many discs have you tried this with? Is it just one that has the problem?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #11436 of 11451 Old 07-14-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
How many discs have you tried this with? Is it just one that has the problem?
Thanks for posting, Bill. I've tried 3 or 4 MKV and AVI files, stored on a 2.5" drive with 1TB connected through USB (I don't use DVD and Blurays, due to dexterity problems), and all the subtitles worked, except the shift feature.

Pretty much the same method I used 6 months ago, by then I tested it and worked without problems.
post #11437 of 11451 Old 07-15-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
Thanks for posting, Bill. I've tried 3 or 4 MKV and AVI files, stored on a 2.5" drive with 1TB connected through USB (I don't use DVD and Blurays, due to dexterity problems), and all the subtitles worked, except the shift feature.

Pretty much the same method I used 6 months ago, by then I tested it and worked without problems.
It depends. If you rip the MKV files with the subtitles "burned" in, then you cannot shift them as it is permanently laid into the image. If you cannot toggle the subs off/on, then the subs are burned in and you would not be able to shift them...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #11438 of 11451 Old 07-15-2015, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I recently discovered that my 95 has an issue with music files on memory stick that are m4a. I googled and found that the oppo does not do apple files. Does anyone have a work around, or am I kind of stuck? I think the 103 can do them. Wait a minute, I'm not actually sure about that. Help!
post #11439 of 11451 Old 07-15-2015, 07:38 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
I recently discovered that my 95 has an issue with music files on memory stick that are m4a. I googled and found that the oppo does not do apple files. Does anyone have a work around, or am I kind of stuck? I think the 103 can do them. Wait a minute, I'm not actually sure about that. Help!
M4A is supported. It's the same as MP4.

What is the issue? What error message are you getting?

It may be the audio codec inside the container is not supported. What does mediainfo say for one of the problem files?

-Bill

post #11440 of 11451 Old 07-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

It just skips over the offending files and plays the next one. Let me do some experimenting and report back…

Edit: Some files play and some get skipped over. I couldn't get anything reliable so did the drastic step of erasing the whole thing and starting over.

Last edited by audio4life; 07-15-2015 at 09:45 PM.
post #11441 of 11451 Old 07-16-2015, 02:19 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:
Odds are these are older iTunes downloads that are still copy protected.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11442 of 11451 Old 07-16-2015, 03:11 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
It just skips over the offending files and plays the next one. Let me do some experimenting and report back…

Edit: Some files play and some get skipped over. I couldn't get anything reliable so did the drastic step of erasing the whole thing and starting over.
Again: "mediainfo" reports for these files would be helpful.

-Bill

post #11443 of 11451 Old 07-16-2015, 04:49 PM

Today I could test extensively the issue I described in post 11434 regarding the subtitle shift feature, and reached several conclusions.

I tested seven .MKV files, and ALL the video files that had embedded subtitles show those subtitles always on the same position (when I activate them, of course. If I don’t load them they’re not displayed), the subtitle shift feature doesn’t work at all. BUT, if I add a .srt file to the folder, that subtitle can be moved up and down, if works perfectly.
It’s weird and annoying because it means that I can’t use the embedded files with all the 2.35 content. Still, it’s not a huge deal, when necessary I can add external subtitles.

However, for some reason the external .srt subtitles are displayed with rather big letters. Too big for a 128" screen. The embedded ones are displayed significantly smaller, and thus are much more pleasing. The OPPO manual doesn’t mention how to increase and decrease the subtitles’ size, or at least I didn’t find it, can someone please say how to change their size?

Thanks for your posts.
post #11444 of 11451 Old 07-17-2015, 04:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ While playing, try Options button and then select the Subtitles item from the on-screen pop-up menu. Only works with media files (not shiny discs).

ETA: Oops wrong thread. That Options > Subtitles mechanism was added for the 10x family of players.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 07-17-2015 at 05:06 AM.
post #11445 of 11451 Old 08-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Bill and Bob, thanks for your responses. I wasn't able to dig further into my issue, what is "mediainfo"?

At any rate, I now have another issue I'm trying to resolve that I've googled without result. When I am in my car, my iphone can connect via bluetooth and I'm wondering if they is any method to connect an iphone to the Oppo 95, with a dongle perhaps?
post #11446 of 11451 Old 08-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Bill and Bob, thanks for your responses. I wasn't able to dig further into my issue, I looked into mediainfo, but left it on the back burner.

At any rate, I now have another issue I'm trying to resolve, that I've googled without result. When I am in my car, my iphone can connect via bluetooth to the sound system and I'm wondering if there is any method to connect an iphone to the Oppo 95, with a dongle perhaps? This would be a go around to the occasional file that the Oppo won't play.
post #11447 of 11451 Old 08-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The 95 has no "inputs" for audio or video (contrast with the 10x players), and I don't know of a good way to access the media files stuff stored on the iPhone either as a USB hard drive or as a DLNA server.
--Bob

post #11448 of 11451 Old 08-02-2015, 11:10 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Bill and Bob, thanks for your responses. I wasn't able to dig further into my issue, what is "mediainfo"?
A free utility for displaying media file characteristics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediainfo

-Bill

post #11449 of 11451 Old 08-11-2015, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My Oppo 95 EU did a firmware update automatically couple of days ago. Can't see anything about this on the Oppo UK website. Anyone any ideas what this was about? I haven't done the factory reset yet, but everything seems to be working OK.
post #11450 of 11451 Old 08-11-2015, 05:37 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viritrilbia View Post
My Oppo 95 EU did a firmware update automatically couple of days ago. Can't see anything about this on the Oppo UK website. Anyone any ideas what this was about? I haven't done the factory reset yet, but everything seems to be working OK.
Check the version number against the firmware history in the first post of the BDP-93 thread.

The player has firmware notification that you can turn off or on, but even when on there is no automatic update.

-Bill

post #11451 of 11451 Old 08-12-2015, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Check the version number against the firmware history in the first post of the BDP-93 thread.

The player has firmware notification that you can turn off or on, but even when on there is no automatic update.

-Bill
Yes... sorry, meant automatically notified, which I clicked Yes to. The version number matches last October's update. Can't imagine why it did that one again!

Thanks Bill

V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player