Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 382 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #11431 of 11433 Old Today, 03:58 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
Further back in this thread (post 11243 and the next 4 or 5) there was some discussion about iso, mkv, m2ts playback on the 95. I was under the impression the 95 would not play ISO files but wmcclain answered one question thus:
See the FAQ:

MakeMKV is my tool of choice these days. It's fast, cross-platform, and quality is the same as the original because it simply copies without recompression. No disc menus, though.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11432 of 11433 Old Today, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
Further back in this thread (post 11243 and the next 4 or 5) there was some discussion about iso, mkv, m2ts playback on the 95. I was under the impression the 95 would not play ISO files but wmcclain answered one question thus:

If I connect via USB instead, should ISO work?
Yes. You'll need a USB mass storage device with MBR partitioning. That limits you to 2TB maximum.

Don't know if this was just saying YES to the 95 reading USB hard drives, or to it reading/playing ISO files. ?????

I am trying to find a solution to getting my own DVDs onto a hard drive in a format that will:

a) be played by the 95 from a usb-attached hard drive
b) have the same quality as the original DVD
c) be one single file (I have succesfully played direct bit-for-bit DVD copies - ie folders of VOB and TS files, but with some concert DVDs this causes a pause in the middle of a song presumably as the 95 switches from one vob file to the next.

I own DVDFab 9, and VideoRedo Suite 4 so would obviously prefer a solution using these packages, but I have been told on other forums to get makemv and make a single mkv file.

Tried a join process on VideoRedo to simply "join" the vob files into one, but it didn't like the LPCM sound tracks (apparently wants only PCM tracks)

Tried the Merge function on DVDFab to see if it would "merge" the VOB files but after an hour, no result. Can either of these two pieces of software create a single mkv file that the Oppo 95 could play? Remux from VOB to M2TS???

Rentention of menu functions would be good, but not a deal-breaker. Main objective is a single file providing the original quality audio and video.

Comments, suggestions etc.
The best way is to convert the DVD to MKV format. You can use MakeMKV to do this. Note that it will only convert the file to MKV and not reduce the file size, so a 7GB DVD will be a 7GB MKV file. You can use Handbrake to reduce the size to about 2GB (or smaller but with noticeable compression artifacts). MakeMKV is worth the cost. It will convert a DVD in 10-15 minutes and retain your chapters. Blu-Rays take a LOT longer, about 60-80 minutes.

If you have a wifi network, you can rip all the movies to a "cloud" drive and access them across wifi to your player or TV. Note that for this to work via wifi, you need a high speed router and the signal strength over wifi must be >90% or else you will have buffering issues.

I was having dropouts, hangs and slow response on my Oppo and Sony BDP player, I thought that my files were too big but it was caused by poor wifi. Once I got the speed >90%, all my issues disappeared.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #11433 of 11433 Old Today, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Is the player mounting the disc? That is: can you navigate the directories and see all the files?

If not: did you by chance repartition the drive? The -95 supports only the older MBR partitioning scheme, not the newer GPT partitioning.

-Bill
Yes!!
This was the problem...
thanks, Bill!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page