Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 388 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #11611 of 11638 Old 01-13-2016, 12:47 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood View Post
Thanks for the clarification.
They still past it by me without letting me know what I was doing.
I'll NEVER buy another Oppo product again.
Because they were forced by the movie studios to remove a feature that was only available very briefly? You've been active enough in this thread that you really have no excuse to claim that you had no idea that the feature was going to be gone if you upgraded the firmware as this has been discussed over ever since they were forced to remove ISO support. If you choose not to buy another Oppo product again, that's obviously your business, but to imply that they somehow deceived you isn't fair to Oppo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 11638 Old 01-13-2016, 01:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 1280
^ The loss of ISO support at the demand of the studios was documented in the release notes for the 65-0302 Official firmware. See the first post of the 93 owner's thread here on AVS, for example, for the firmware notes history. The "feature" was only present for a short while, and evidently by mistake. It's evidently only supposed to be enabled for factory testing. It was never published by OPPO as a documented feature. OPPO argued that once it was out, even by mistake, it had to stay out, but OPPO has to abide by its licensing and did not win that argument against the studios.

I guess another question here is since you were going to update firmware anyway, why stop with 74-0908. Did you see something in the firmware release notes for newer firmware that you did not like? (Alas, if only you had seen the first note for the 65-0302 firmware while doing that.)

Anyway, if you can get yourself around this disappointment, you really should consider updating all the way to the current, 82-1009 firmware. Among other things it means you get a fix for the speaker distance compensation bug which affects the quality of audio on the multi-channel Analog outputs.

If you would like to forego all the subsequent bug fixes and go back to that older firmware, you'll need to get in touch with OPPO and see whether they can help you. I really don't know what they are allowed to do in such a case. If they can, you'll likely need to send the player in for service to get the older firmware re-installed in the repair shop.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11613 of 11638 Old 01-13-2016, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Because they were forced by the movie studios to remove a feature that was only available very briefly? You've been active enough in this thread that you really have no excuse to claim that you had no idea that the feature was going to be gone if you upgraded the firmware as this has been discussed over ever since they were forced to remove ISO support. If you choose not to buy another Oppo product again, that's obviously your business, but to imply that they somehow deceived you isn't fair to Oppo.
Look

I DID ask here and I was told it was only a certain upgrade that removed the ability so I updated up to it and stayed away.
But this is NOT the point.
The POINT is Oppo took it away from people who bought the player because it could play ISO's (at least one important reason for me)
What's just as bad is they didn't completely describe what my update was going to do.(unless I missed the part where their going to take away from the value of my player after I get the wonderful benefit of using my phone as a remote.)

Bottom line is they weren't upfront about it and list it in the changes the update will do.
They scr*wed their own customers at the pressure of greedy execs and I shouldn't have to search around to learn what they're doing behind our backs.

I've had enough of this conversation too.
post #11614 of 11638 Old 01-13-2016, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
I have a QNAP TS-453 Pro NAS attached to my wi-fi router... It has four 4TB HDD and is set up as a DLNA server. My Oppo, Sony Blu-Ray players and my Samsung TV can all connect to the QNAP via wi-fi and access all the files with no issues. You just have to be aware of some configuration issues that have to be done...
1. The QNAP will transcode all video files to MP4 on the fly. You have to go into the Media menu to disable this if your devices support your native file format.
2. A lot of people like Plex as a server/client app. It is useless with the Oppo and Sony and most BR players that do not have it installed.
3. A NAS takes a long time to initialize depending on HDD size. My unit took 30+ hours. You can copy files over during initializing, but the NAS will appear slow during this period.
4. Do NOT use desktop class HDD for a NAS. NAS drives have a different error correction program compared to desktop drives. Because of this, desktop drives will appear to fail more than necessary when they may actually be fine.
Thanks a lot Jon.
It is all new for me, so have to read a lot...
In pt.3, time to initialize 30+ hours, is that the first time when you start the NAS?
Which server/client do I need instead of Plex?
post #11615 of 11638 Old 01-14-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by theazeef View Post
Thanks a lot Jon.
It is all new for me, so have to read a lot...
In pt.3, time to initialize 30+ hours, is that the first time when you start the NAS?
Which server/client do I need instead of Plex?
When you first install the HDD and start up the NAS, the HDD have to be formatted.. After formatting, the NAS has to configure the drives to setup the redundancy program in order to keep the NAS running if one drive fails... In a NAS RAID 5 array, three drives are used for storage and the fourth drive stores the CRC codes. IIRC, If any drive fails, the fourth drive can rebuild the array with no loss of data. If the fourth drive fails, the NAS will rebuild the CRC table. If two drives fail, then you're hosed.

You do not need any client/server app if you are using DLNA. Most smart TVs and Blu-Ray players support DLNA. It is just a directory listing of the files on the NAS. Select the file and it will play.

For ease of use, I sub-divide the folders on my NAS... It has films, animation, documentaries, etc. Under film, I have America, foreign, Disney, Pixar, etc. Under American, I have other folders for Action, drama, comedy, romance, sci-fi, etc. makes it easier to search for movies. DLNA does not have a search feature so it is important to categorize your videos.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #11616 of 11638 Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd like to apologize if I offended anyone yesterday (I didn't read any replies)
I was just so upset with Oppo and myself yesterday when I realized what I did.
I'm getting over it.
post #11617 of 11638 Old 01-14-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
When you first install the HDD and start up the NAS, the HDD have to be formatted.. After formatting, the NAS has to configure the drives to setup the redundancy program in order to keep the NAS running if one drive fails... In a NAS RAID 5 array, three drives are used for storage and the fourth drive stores the CRC codes. IIRC, If any drive fails, the fourth drive can rebuild the array with no loss of data. If the fourth drive fails, the NAS will rebuild the CRC table. If two drives fail, then you're hosed.

You do not need any client/server app if you are using DLNA. Most smart TVs and Blu-Ray players support DLNA. It is just a directory listing of the files on the NAS. Select the file and it will play.

For ease of use, I sub-divide the folders on my NAS... It has films, animation, documentaries, etc. Under film, I have America, foreign, Disney, Pixar, etc. Under American, I have other folders for Action, drama, comedy, romance, sci-fi, etc. makes it easier to search for movies. DLNA does not have a search feature so it is important to categorize your videos.
Thank you Jon for answering.
There is, though here, a more recent QNAP TS-453-4G on the market.
Do you think it is slightly better?
What about the RAM memory, is 2 or 4G enough?
Last but not least, can I stream data from the pc wireless to the NAS?
Thanks in advance, hope the NAS is a kind of ¨plug and play¨......

post #11618 of 11638 Old 01-14-2016, 04:49 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood View Post
I'd like to apologize if I offended anyone yesterday (I didn't read any replies)
I was just so upset with Oppo and myself yesterday when I realized what I did.
I'm getting over it.
I understand the frustration but the Studios (Content providers) are in charge and a player manufacturer cannot violate licensing agreements and continue to sell players.

A solution is to convert existing ISO's to MKV's and use them going forward. If you just care about the movie, you save a lot of space as well.
Once they are MKV's Oppo and other devices can play them as well. Perhaps even an Apple TV4, that would be a hoot

- Rich

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15
post #11619 of 11638 Old 01-19-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Ola,

How can I reach your PM´s Jon please?
There are no possibilities to..
post #11620 of 11638 Old 01-19-2016, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Ola,

How can I reach your PM´s Jon please?
There are no possibilities to..
Just click on my ID (Jon S) and it will give you a link to PM me....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #11621 of 11638 Old 01-27-2016, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Beginning to look like the Analog output of my 95 has given up the ghost. The HDMI output works fine into a Denon AVR-X1000, but both the Stereo and Multi channel (front) Analog outputs won't pass a signal to my ModWright LS100. (also tried analog output to the Denon with the same results)

Any suggestions to check before I look into an RMA from Oppo? Don't mind sending it back for repairs, but I'd rather see if I can troubleshoot it before I send it back.. I tried a factory reset from the menu, but it had no effect.
post #11622 of 11638 Old 01-27-2016, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

double post

Last edited by John Schneider; 01-27-2016 at 04:07 PM. Reason: double post
post #11623 of 11638 Old 01-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
Beginning to look like the Analog output of my 95 has given up the ghost. The HDMI output works fine into a Denon AVR-X1000, but both the Stereo and Multi channel (front) Analog outputs won't pass a signal to my ModWright LS100. (also tried analog output to the Denon with the same results)

Any suggestions to check before I look into an RMA from Oppo? Don't mind sending it back for repairs, but I'd rather see if I can troubleshoot it before I send it back.. I tried a factory reset from the menu, but it had no effect.
Check the obvious: Make sure you don't have Mute set or Volume set to 0.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11624 of 11638 Old 01-27-2016, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Check the obvious: Make sure you don't have Mute set or Volume set to 0.
--Bob
I had already checked the mute (several times) but forgot about possible volume - I think I had it set at fixed (max) anyway.

It was. Played around with it anyway and it is at 100. Problem still persists.

Thanks - was worth a try.
post #11625 of 11638 Old 01-28-2016, 01:16 AM

What will give the best detailed sound please?
Oppo 95 analog to Red Rose Affirmation M.L. analog, or...
Oppo 95 s/pdif (mean digital) via Caiman MK2 (DAC) to Red Rose analog?
Or remains it the same?
post #11626 of 11638 Old 01-28-2016, 08:04 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
What will give the best detailed sound please?
Oppo 95 analog to Red Rose Affirmation M.L. analog, or...
Oppo 95 s/pdif (mean digital) via Caiman MK2 (DAC) to Red Rose analog?
Or remains it the same?

These are subjective judgements.
I wish there was a better answer but, if have have the gear in question, try the diffent configurations and pick your favorite.

- Rich

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15
post #11627 of 11638 Old 01-28-2016, 09:45 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I had already checked the mute (several times) but forgot about possible volume - I think I had it set at fixed (max) anyway.

It was. Played around with it anyway and it is at 100. Problem still persists.

Thanks - was worth a try.
There are no other settings errors in the player that would mute both the multi-channel and the dedicated stereo Analog outputs. In fact there are not that many common points where a hardware failure could do this either. The most likely one is failure of the power supply that supports the Analog output paths, which of course would require service.

(I'm assuming you've already eliminated external failure points, such as whether your amps are actually turning on out of stand-by when you try to use the player. I.e., have you tested whether a different source, feeding that same Analog path, produces audio?)

I know you've already tried a Reset. But there are a few other things you can try. First is a more complete form of Reset that also makes sure the lowest level hardware in the 95 has to reboot from scratch. At the same time we'll eliminate the possibility that something external to the player is screwing up power in the player.

Go into Setup and do another Reset of the player.

Now power off the 95. Disconnect EVERYTHING from the player and carry the player to another room (different wall power circuit).

While the player is still unplugged, press and hold the Power button on the Front Panel for a few seconds to discharge any residual voltage.

For the next step, you will need a way to detect whether Analog audio is present on the outputs. Ideally this would be something you can move into the new room (new wall power circuit) with the player, for example, a headphones amp.

Reconnect power and just one Analog output cable. Leave everything else disconnected, and the settings as set by the Reset. See if you are getting Analog output on Left or Right channels by playing something simple like a CD disc. If not, also try swapping in a different cable, just in case.

If you are lucky, and get audio back, bring the unit back to its original location, and reconnect things one at a time until you find the external culprit or have everything working again.

If still no luck, the only other thing you can do yourself is to try a re-install of the firmware. You can do this in Setup using the firmware downloaded from OPPO's support page for install via a USB stick. NOTE: If you are using older firmware, and don't have a saved copy of it, the version on OPPO's support page will of course be the latest firmware.

And if that doesn't do it, the player will need service.
--Bob

post #11628 of 11638 Old 01-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There are no other settings errors in the player that would mute both the multi-channel and the dedicated stereo Analog outputs. In fact there are not that many common points where a hardware failure could do this either. The most likely one is failure of the power supply that supports the Analog output paths, which of course would require service.

(I'm assuming you've already eliminated external failure points, such as whether your amps are actually turning on out of stand-by when you try to use the player. I.e., have you tested whether a different source, feeding that same Analog path, produces audio?)

I know you've already tried a Reset. But there are a few other things you can try. First is a more complete form of Reset that also makes sure the lowest level hardware in the 95 has to reboot from scratch. At the same time we'll eliminate the possibility that something external to the player is screwing up power in the player.

Go into Setup and do another Reset of the player.

Now power off the 95. Disconnect EVERYTHING from the player and carry the player to another room (different wall power circuit).

While the player is still unplugged, press and hold the Power button on the Front Panel for a few seconds to discharge any residual voltage.

For the next step, you will need a way to detect whether Analog audio is present on the outputs. Ideally this would be something you can move into the new room (new wall power circuit) with the player, for example, a headphones amp.

Reconnect power and just one Analog output cable. Leave everything else disconnected, and the settings as set by the Reset. See if you are getting Analog output on Left or Right channels by playing something simple like a CD disc. If not, also try swapping in a different cable, just in case.

If you are lucky, and get audio back, bring the unit back to its original location, and reconnect things one at a time until you find the external culprit or have everything working again.

If still no luck, the only other thing you can do yourself is to try a re-install of the firmware. You can do this in Setup using the firmware downloaded from OPPO's support page for install via a USB stick. NOTE: If you are using older firmware, and don't have a saved copy of it, the version on OPPO's support page will of course be the latest firmware.

And if that doesn't do it, the player will need service.
--Bob
I will give this a shot - probably easier in my case to use an extension cord from a different circuit than dragging enough stuff around (It's amazing, but I find that at this point, I have very little in the Analog world outside of my Stereo rig)

Question - would it be better to just try a Firmware install first? Checking Oppo's website, I do not have the latest version installed. Or should I have a "Complete reset" first?
post #11629 of 11638 Old 01-29-2016, 02:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The complete Reset, *AND* disconnecting everything else for this test is your best shot. The reason is that faulty external gear or cables might be dragging down the OPPO power supply.

The firmware re-install is a long shot (for fixing your issue), but it is the only other thing you can try on your own.
--Bob

post #11630 of 11638 Old 01-29-2016, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 276
I've had an odd occurrence twice now. Walking over to the 95 and touching it produced a static shock in the cold dry weather. Right after that, functions on the 95 stopped responding although it continued playing. A quite power cycle brought back normal function. It seems like these Oppos, or at least the 95 can be irritated by static electricity. Any thoughts?
post #11631 of 11638 Old 01-29-2016, 03:48 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
I've had an odd occurrence twice now. Walking over to the 95 and touching it produced a static shock in the cold dry weather. Right after that, functions on the 95 stopped responding although it continued playing. A quite power cycle brought back normal function. It seems like these Oppos, or at least the 95 can be irritated by static electricity. Any thoughts?
Electronics in general don't like static electricity. One suggestion would be to get a humidifier to reduce the risk of repeat instances of this, just make sure you don't go too far in the other direction.
post #11632 of 11638 Old 01-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ The complete Reset, *AND* disconnecting everything else for this test is your best shot. The reason is that faulty external gear or cables might be dragging down the OPPO power supply.

The firmware re-install is a long shot (for fixing your issue), but it is the only other thing you can try on your own.
--Bob
OK

Went back through and followed step by step. Used an extension cord to an outside outlet (I KNOW those are on a separate circuit). Did the discharge. Plugged it in. One analog connection (cable known to be good from other testing).

Nothing. Blast and D@mn!

Downloaded the latest firmware and installed (minor hiccup - had it in a subdirectory). Followed all the instructions and put in a disc, hit play and turned the volume up loud enough to be heard.....

What do you know? - SUCCESS!

Woo Hoo!

Thanks!

(now to try to figure out what went wrong in the first place......)
post #11633 of 11638 Old 01-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ It's a New Year Miracle! Glad it worked out for you.
--Bob

post #11634 of 11638 Old 01-29-2016, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Electronics in general don't like static electricity. One suggestion would be to get a humidifier to reduce the risk of repeat instances of this, just make sure you don't go too far in the other direction.
Well, yeah that's true, electronics don't like static electricity. I suppose I could have added a little more information regarding this experience. None of my other components in the two systems go flaky like the Oppo does. What I'm wondering is, have you or anyone else experienced this with an Oppo.
post #11635 of 11638 Old 01-29-2016, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I've never gotten a shock like that from an Oppo player.
Though I never owned the -95, but do have a -93, and a 10x player too.
I don't think the Oppo players are any more susceptible to it than any other electronics though.
This is the first time I've ever read anything about it, and if it was common, we probably would have seen more comments about it.
I'm thinking it's just probably a combination of the right mixture of what's going on in your media room that allows a higher concentration of static electricity.
One thing that contributes here, is the fact that the Oppo players have a metal housing and lots of other equipment doesn't,
so that may also make it more likely to get a static shock when touching it compared to other gear.

As GSR said above, you most likely just need to do something to combat the presence of static electricity in your place.
Sometimes it can be as simple as sitting a bowl of water in the corner somewhere where it's out of the way and won't get spilled.
Years ago I had the same issue in an apartment I lived in, and I took a solid plastic waste basket (about 12" tall) and filled it up a little
less than halfway with water and kept it behind the couch.
Once I started doing that it was rare to get a shock from anything.
If you do that though just be sure to change out the water periodically so it doesn't get stagnant.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #11636 of 11638 Old 01-29-2016, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

The dry situation rectified itself, and my house is steady at about 40% humidity. It only happened the two times, and I'm not worried about it, I just wondered at how the Oppo drains voltage like this to ground. Thanks for your thoughts!
post #11637 of 11638 Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK

Went back through and followed step by step. Used an extension cord to an outside outlet (I KNOW those are on a separate circuit). Did the discharge. Plugged it in. One analog connection (cable known to be good from other testing).

Nothing. Blast and D@mn!

Downloaded the latest firmware and installed (minor hiccup - had it in a subdirectory). Followed all the instructions and put in a disc, hit play and turned the volume up loud enough to be heard.....

What do you know? - SUCCESS!

Woo Hoo!

Thanks!

(now to try to figure out what went wrong in the first place......)
Looks like I spoke too soon......

I was so happy I had sound, I just kind of stopped. I had done so many things trying to isolate and identify the problem, as soon as I found I had sound via analog, I stopped listening and started undoing everything else I had done. After swapping tubes back in to the ModWright and putting things back, I sat and starting listening. Oh oh - what was that? A really bad skip? Followed by more?

Pop the Oppo open and take a quick look at the disc. Looked clean, but gave it a gentle cleaning with a slightly damp, high quality Micro Fiber, from the hub to the edge. Dry it completely. Back in. Same result. Uh oh......

Try another disc. Same results. Took the Oppo out of the system and took the cover off to see if there were any obvious signs of dust. Clean as a whistle. Put it back in, then reinstalled the new firmware again.

Same result.

Checked the output via HDMI - No skips! Back to the Analog - really bad skips, to the point of more silence then sound by a wide margin.

Ah well. Oppo service, here I come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player