Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 392 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #11731 of 11754 Old 06-17-2016, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ There's no new firmware for your player. In rare cases the player doesn't properly compare the version of MCU firmware currently installed to what's available on the firmware update server. So it offers to re-install the MCU firmware that's already in the player. There's no harm in doing such a re-install, but it is not necessary.

If your 95EU firmware versions (Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information) match what's on the OPPO UK support page for the 95EU then you don't need an update:

http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/custome...p-93-95eu.aspx

--Bob
Thanks Bob. I suspected this was the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11732 of 11754 Old 06-23-2016, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My Oppo 95 EU remote control died today. Oppo's fix didn't work so I have to buy a replacement. On the site remote-control-world.eu I saw a remote control for 93 & 103. Do these rc's work with the Oppo95EU?
post #11733 of 11754 Old 06-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
^ If it works properly with the 93 it will work with the 95EU. There are some button differences between the 93/95 and the 103/105 remotes. Where the buttons are the same, the 103/105 remote will work the same as the 93/95 remote. There's no difference between the US and EU remotes.

The web site store for OPPO Digital here in the US is selling a replacement remote for the 8x and 9x players that's not backlit. I believe they are out of stock of the backlit remotes with that button layout, but you might want to send them an email to check that.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11734 of 11754 Old 06-23-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
^ If it works properly with the 93 it will work with the 95EU. There are some button differences between the 93/95 and the 103/105 remotes. Where the buttons are the same, the 103/105 remote will work the same as the 93/95 remote. There's no difference between the US and EU remotes.

The web site store for OPPO Digital here in the US is selling a replacement remote for the 8x and 9x players that's not backlit. I believe they are out of stock of the backlit remotes with that button layout, but you might want to send them an email to check that.
--Bob
Hi Bob, thanks for the reply.

Do I understand correctly that all the functions of the 95 rc are also on the 103/105 rc?

I already checked Oppo website but they send the rc's only to North America. On the EU website I couldn't find any replacement rc's.

Is it true that the rc's of the 103/105 have a better reach. That was a problem with the '95 rc. If so I will go for the 103-105.
post #11735 of 11754 Old 06-23-2016, 07:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ No. There are some secondary buttons from the 95 remote which are missing on the 10x remote -- replaced with different buttons for the 10x players that have no effect on the 95. All the main buttons for power, tray function, volume control, menu selection and playback control are common to both remotes and send the same codes. So for the most part you CAN use the "wrong" remote.

The difference in sensitivity has to do with the way the IR receiver is placed in the 95. The 10x remote will, thus, act like the 95 remote for sensitivity.

I suggest you email OPPO Digital here in the US and see if they can arrange to get a remote to you through the OPPO Europe folks.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11736 of 11754 Old 06-23-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
^ No. There are some secondary buttons from the 95 remote which are missing on the 10x remote -- replaced with different buttons for the 10x players that have no effect on the 95. All the main buttons for power, tray function, volume control, menu selection and playback control are common to both remotes and send the same codes. So for the most part you CAN use the "wrong" remote.

The difference in sensitivity has to do with the way the IR receiver is placed in the 95. The 10x remote will, thus, act like the 95 remote for sensitivity.

I suggest you email OPPO Digital here in the US and see if they can arrange to get a remote to you through the OPPO Europe folks.
--Bob
Thanks for the reply. I will contact Oppo US.
post #11737 of 11754 Old 06-26-2016, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
95 vs. 105 Network Capability Differences?

I have a very simple "media server" setup. A 2TB WD external hard drive hooked up through USB 2.0 to a sagecom DSL gateway (white-labelled by my ISP - "Home Hub 1000"). Currently, I've loaded about 0.5TB of mostly WAV music files from my ripped CDs on to the external hard drive. An Oppo 105 and a PS3 -- wireless connections -- both play the WAV files with no issues over the network. However, my Oppo 95, also connected wirelessly, will not play the files. It finds the media server with no problem, and it seems to recognize all the different folders and allows me to navigate to any WAV file, but when I attempt to play it the 95 freezes and I have to power it off to recover. There are a few MP3 files on the drive, and the 1 file I have been able to play successfully was an MP3, but the 95 would not transition to the next WAV file in the playlist.

Anyone got any guesses as to what the issue(s) might be? Is there something quirky about the 95's networking, or does it just not like WAVs over a network?

Thanks - JD
post #11738 of 11754 Old 06-26-2016, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraton View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will contact Oppo US.
I bought a remote (full backlit as original) for a 95EU a few weeks back from Oppo Europe (UK) £13 including shipping. Arrived within 24hrs. I don't know your location but as you have a 95EU that might be your best way, I believe shipping to Europe might be a little more expensive but it don't hurt to ask, they had plenty in stock when I spoke to them. Contact details here http://www.oppodigital.co.uk
post #11739 of 11754 Old 06-26-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
I bought a remote (full backlit as original) for a 95EU a few weeks back from Oppo Europe (UK) £13 including shipping. Arrived within 24hrs. I don't know your location but as you have a 95EU that might be your best way, I believe shipping to Europe might be a little more expensive but it don't hurt to ask, they had plenty in stock when I spoke to them. Contact details here http://www.oppodigital.co.uk
Thank you. I have contacted Oppo UK. I'm happy to hear that their rc's have backlit, the replacement rc's I've seen were all without it.

Since they ship Oppo's to the Netherlands I assume they do it too with rc's.
post #11740 of 11754 Old 06-27-2016, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_alpha View Post
I have a very simple "media server" setup. A 2TB WD external hard drive hooked up through USB 2.0 to a sagecom DSL gateway (white-labelled by my ISP - "Home Hub 1000"). Currently, I've loaded about 0.5TB of mostly WAV music files from my ripped CDs on to the external hard drive. An Oppo 105 and a PS3 -- wireless connections -- both play the WAV files with no issues over the network. However, my Oppo 95, also connected wirelessly, will not play the files. It finds the media server with no problem, and it seems to recognize all the different folders and allows me to navigate to any WAV file, but when I attempt to play it the 95 freezes and I have to power it off to recover. There are a few MP3 files on the drive, and the 1 file I have been able to play successfully was an MP3, but the 95 would not transition to the next WAV file in the playlist.

Anyone got any guesses as to what the issue(s) might be? Is there something quirky about the 95's networking, or does it just not like WAVs over a network?

Thanks - JD
Can't be a problem with WAV files as my 95 reads them fine from a network, wired or wi-fi. Sometimes one of my NAS drives takes days to fully integrate any new file I send to it. If I need to play the file sooner, I have to force the drive to re-register all the files by switching it off and then on again. That always works. Worth a try?
post #11741 of 11754 Old 06-27-2016, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraton View Post
Thank you. I have contacted Oppo UK. I'm happy to hear that their rc's have backlit, the replacement rc's I've seen were all without it.

Since they ship Oppo's to the Netherlands I assume they do it too with rc's.
Yes I am pretty sure they do, they ship stuff all over Europe. The price I paid (£13) included shipping in the UK so the price they charge you including shipping to the Netherlands might be slightly higher, even so it will be cheaper than importing one from the US or buying from some of the online sites. Knowing Oppo you have probably had a reply by now, they often reply on Saturdays and Sundays.
All the best
post #11742 of 11754 Old 06-27-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viritrilbia View Post
Can't be a problem with WAV files as my 95 reads them fine from a network, wired or wi-fi. Sometimes one of my NAS drives takes days to fully integrate any new file I send to it. If I need to play the file sooner, I have to force the drive to re-register all the files by switching it off and then on again. That always works. Worth a try?
Thanks for the reply Viritrilbia. Since both my 105 and PS3 will play the WAVs from the same network, I have to assume it's an issue specific to the 95 and not the network. Also, the 95 does recognize and display all the WAV files - it just freezes up when I try to play them.

Do you think it could be a capacity/memory issue with the 95? Could it's wi-fi capacity be the choke point? As I mentioned, the external hard drive has a 2 TB capacity and I've loaded 0.5 TB of files on it. But I assume lots of other owners out there are using their 95 to play movie files off a network, which must be much larger than WAVs and have a higher overall amount of TBs?
post #11743 of 11754 Old 06-27-2016, 08:33 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Viritrilbia. Since both my 105 and PS3 will play the WAVs from the same network, I have to assume it's an issue specific to the 95 and not the network. Also, the 95 does recognize and display all the WAV files - it just freezes up when I try to play them.

Do you think it could be a capacity/memory issue with the 95? Could it's wi-fi capacity be the choke point? As I mentioned, the external hard drive has a 2 TB capacity and I've loaded 0.5 TB of files on it. But I assume lots of other owners out there are using their 95 to play movie files off a network, which must be much larger than WAVs and have a higher overall amount of TBs?
One diagnostic step you should try, if at all possible, is to at least temporarily connect the BDP-95 to your network with a network cable (using a long one if needed) to determine if the wireless connection is issue. If you still experience the same issue, then that at least tells you the wireless connection wasn't the issue. Another thing you can try is to temporarily connect your hard drive directly to the BDP-95's USB input and try to play some of the files you're having problems with via the directly connected drive - this will take the network out of the mix completely. If you don't want to disconnect your hard drive from your network gateway, you could transfer some sample files onto another USB drive and run this test.
post #11744 of 11754 Old 06-27-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:

My two NASs each have around 3.5 TB on them. So I guess your 95 is playing up somehow.
post #11745 of 11754 Old 06-27-2016, 10:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Put some of the WAV files that won't play onto a USB hard drive and attach it directly to the 95. See if they will play that way.

That will tell you if the problem is the content in the WAV files vs. the NAS and networking.
--Bob

post #11746 of 11754 Old 06-27-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Put some of the WAV files that won't play onto a USB hard drive and attach it directly to the 95. See if they will play that way.

That will tell you if the problem is the content in the WAV files vs. the NAS and networking.
--Bob
Thanks Bob - loaded some of the WAVs on to a USD thumb drive. Plugged it directly into the front USB port on the 95. Same problem occurred - the 95 read the drive OK and displayed the WAV files on screen, but once I selected a file to play it, the 95 froze (without playing the file) and I had to power it off.

Then I loaded some MP3s on the same thumb drive and plugged it back into the 95. The MP3s played fine - no problems.

The 95 plays WAVs on shiny discs fine (store bought CDs or burned CDs). I've also never had issues playing shiny disc DVDs or Blu-rays, which is pretty much all I used it for until I got my network set up (and all my CDs ripped) - just a week ago now.

Any suggestions on anything else I could try?
post #11747 of 11754 Old 06-27-2016, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

The 95 plays WAVs on shiny discs fine (store bought CDs or burned CDs). I've also never had issues playing shiny disc DVDs or Blu-rays, which is pretty much all I used it for until I got my network set up (and all my CDs ripped) - just a week ago now.

Which program did you use to rip your cd's to WAV? Are these all 2-channel WAV files?

Try ripping one or two of the same CD's you have ripped to WAV to FLAC and see how the 95 plays, both from the network and from the USB connection. Personally, I prefer FLAC - it is the same quality and uses much less space. My 95 has no problems reading flac files (including hi-res multi-channel flac files) via wifi to a hard drive plugged into my router at the other end of the house, via ethernet, and directly from a hard drive plugged into one of the 95's USB connections.

I have had freezes from some DVD's ripped to mkv, but if I give the 95 plenty of time and do not try to do anything anything else, it unfreezes by itself, as if the 95 had got itself temporarily lost in the decoding. I cannot remember whether this was from mkvs created using makemkv, or from DVDFab, or both. Am going to try ripping to mts instead: have plenty of large mts files which never cause any problems.
post #11748 of 11754 Old 06-28-2016, 04:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Thanks Bob - loaded some of the WAVs on to a USD thumb drive. Plugged it directly into the front USB port on the 95. Same problem occurred - the 95 read the drive OK and displayed the WAV files on screen, but once I selected a file to play it, the 95 froze (without playing the file) and I had to power it off.

Then I loaded some MP3s on the same thumb drive and plugged it back into the 95. The MP3s played fine - no problems.

The next step is to use the MediaInfo free utility for Windows to see what's actually in those WAV files. Odds are they are something unusual.

Sometimes fixing such problems is as easy as running the balky files through a utility that simply reads them and writes them out again -- only correctly.
--Bob

post #11749 of 11754 Old 06-29-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
Which program did you use to rip your cd's to WAV? Are these all 2-channel WAV files?

Try ripping one or two of the same CD's you have ripped to WAV to FLAC and see how the 95 plays, both from the network and from the USB connection. Personally, I prefer FLAC - it is the same quality and uses much less space. My 95 has no problems reading flac files (including hi-res multi-channel flac files) via wifi to a hard drive plugged into my router at the other end of the house, via ethernet, and directly from a hard drive plugged into one of the 95's USB connections.

I have had freezes from some DVD's ripped to mkv, but if I give the 95 plenty of time and do not try to do anything anything else, it unfreezes by itself, as if the 95 had got itself temporarily lost in the decoding. I cannot remember whether this was from mkvs created using makemkv, or from DVDFab, or both. Am going to try ripping to mts instead: have plenty of large mts files which never cause any problems.

Thanks - I generally used a Roxio program (a few with Windows Media Player) that came loaded on my Dell desktop. They are all basic, 2-channel WAV files.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about this stuff, or a lot of time to invest in it, so I try to keep it really simple/easy. I'd heard about FLACs, but with larege amounts of storage so cheap now, and people networking huge movie files nowadays without any issues, I wanted to stay with WAVs - I figured they'd be the most common and universally supported format.

With both a BDP-105 and a PS3 playing the same WAVs, on the same network or attached storage, without any problems, I'm quickly leaning toward the conclusion that the BDP-95 is either defective (most likely) or just inferior in this regard. I also haven't seen a whole bunch of people complaining about playing WAVs on their BDP-95 - so I'd be the only one out there with corrupted WAVs? I'll try to work through OPPO technical support and see if they can help.
post #11750 of 11754 Old 07-06-2016, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking for little help, i have a 95 which is several years old, for the past while i cannot get subtitles to show up when playing MKV movies through the usb drive, the files show up when i push the subtitle button but never appear on the screen, have gone through all of the settings on the 95 and can only find the section where you can move them relative to a position on the screen. Have played the same MKV files through a WD player and VLC player on a Mac and the subtitles show up fine, so i think that says the files are good but for some reason the 95 doesn't seem to like them, i do convert to LPCM and send it to the D2, don't know if that has anything to do with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #11751 of 11754 Old 07-06-2016, 11:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitl View Post
Looking for little help, i have a 95 which is several years old, for the past while i cannot get subtitles to show up when playing MKV movies through the usb drive, the files show up when i push the subtitle button but never appear on the screen, have gone through all of the settings on the 95 and can only find the section where you can move them relative to a position on the screen.
And did you set that to zero, or to a positive value? (I'm actually forgetting if that setting effects MKV subtitles).

Are you on current firmware? There is a history in the first post of the -93 thread: Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread

I would try a Reset Factory Defaults; that sometimes corrects bizarro problems. Note down your custom settings first. Here is a helpful outline: http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-9...Checklist.html

Quote:
Have played the same MKV files through a WD player and VLC player on a Mac and the subtitles show up fine, so i think that says the files are good but for some reason the 95 doesn't seem to like them, i do convert to LPCM and send it to the D2, don't know if that has anything to do with.
That shouldn't matter.

If the above doesn't help, there are two free PC utilities: "mediainfo" and "mkvinfo". Get a text report from either one of them on one your problem files and post it here.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #11752 of 11754 Old 07-09-2016, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi. Is it alright to leave an unpowered external drive in the USB port when the Oppo is powered off? Will turning on and off the player cause the drive or data to degrade? Is the answer the same if it is a flash drive? Thanks!
post #11753 of 11754 Old 07-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ There's no problem doing that with any decently made drive. The power on/off sequence for USB is something USB drives are supposed to expect. No different than plugging or unplugging them from a USB socket that's already live.
--Bob

post #11754 of 11754 Old 07-09-2016, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
^ There's no problem doing that with any decently made drive. The power on/off sequence for USB is something USB drives are supposed to expect. No different than plugging or unplugging them from a USB socket that's already live.
--Bob
Thanks as always, Bob!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player