Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 396 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 58Likes

post #11851 of 11872 Old 01-24-2017, 03:58 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 580
When connecting the 95 via HDMI, whether 1 or 2 dividing video from audio, to a Marantz 8802, then to a Sony 940C with the 940C's input set to "Enhanced", no sound is heard. Oppo provided a BETA FW that resolved the issue but results in the unit locking up requiring a restart after pressing "stop" on the remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11852 of 11872 Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does current firmware block SACD-R?

Hi everyone, I've been reading through all the posts, and trying to RTFM, but I can't seem to easily find a current answer. My current firmware is BDP9x-52-0707, and I wanted to use the Oppo iPad app, which is not working with this firmware.

If I update to the latest firmware, will I lose any functionality besides the beloved ISO functionality? I don't need the player to do this anymore, so I am willing to give that up to be able to use the iPhone app, but I do not want to lose the ability to play burned ISO SACD-R discs. Unless someone is willing to buy this unmodified player and give it a good home, I would like to use it to play hires flac files over a network, as well as SACD-R and the occasional movie, and the ability to use the ipad app without having to purchase a small HDMI screen to see what is going on, rather than having to turn on the older projection TV in that system would be nice.

Thanks!
post #11853 of 11872 Old 02-01-2017, 03:47 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2823 Post(s)
Liked: 2073
I have a note about SACD-R being removed from the 103, but nothing for the 93/95. Perhaps someone else can confirm that it still works in later firmware.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    

post #11854 of 11872 Old 02-01-2017, 05:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
I don't have an answer to the SACD-R question either, but how important would that be if you could play DSD files over the network? I don't think the 9x series players can, but the 10x series and the 203 can and have significantly improved networking options. The 10x series players can also be used to rip any original SACDs you might have.
post #11855 of 11872 Old 02-01-2017, 08:21 AM

At this point, my media is all on hard drive, so I would probably build a HTPC and use JRiver, and get a higher end DAC to handle the audio, rather than purchasing another proprietary player like the Oppo. Although their upcoming Sonica DAC looks like a nice solution as well for what building a low end HTPC and getting a modest DSD capable DAC would cost, without the bother and extra wires.

I emailed Oppo this morning, let's see what they say.
post #11856 of 11872 Old 02-03-2017, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, I got a question about the 95's blu-ray playback. I've had the player about a year now and I've been very happy with how it plays blu ray discs. The quality in every type of scene has been great.

Lately, I've noticed some smearing or slight blurring especially in dark scenes. For example, watching Blair witch during the quick moving dark scenes the black areas have a 'tiredness' to them, like almost moving in slow motion. It's hard to describe. I also notice it in Star wars 7. Like motion blur but not quite. I'm wondering if anyone else notices smearing, or slower movement, or blurred areas when fast motion happens.

I want the best blu-ray playback possible for my pn51f8500 tv, and I don't know where this is coming from. Would I find better blu-ray video playback in the 105 or newer oppo models? Or is there a setting I could try?

I would really appreciate any help.
TIA.

Last edited by bhealy; 02-03-2017 at 03:35 PM.
post #11857 of 11872 Old 02-03-2017, 03:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked: 3363
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhealy View Post
Hey guys, I got a question about the 95's blu-ray playback. I've had the player about a year now and I've been very happy with how it plays blu ray discs. The quality in every type of scene has been great.

Lately, I've noticed some smearing or slight blurring especially in dark scenes. For example, watching Blair witch during the quick moving dark scenes the black areas have a 'tiredness' to them, like almost moving in slow motion. It's hard to describe. I also notice it in Star wars 7. Like motion blur but not quite. I'm wondering if anyone else notices smearing, or slower movement, or blurred areas when fast motion happens.

I want the best blu-ray playback possible for my pn51f8500 tv, and I don't know where this is coming from. Would I find better blu-ray video playback in the 105 or newer oppo models? Or is there a setting I could try?

I would really appreciate any help.
TIA.
What you are describing sounds like compression defects in the transfer to disc. I.e., they haven't used enough bit-rate for those scenes to keep the compression of the backgrounds from becoming noticeable.

If that's what it is, the defect is in the content on the disc and there's no setting in the player or TV that will make it go away. You can lower your Black levels (Brightness setting in the TV) to crush a bit more of the near-black content and make such stuff less visible, but the compression noise will be there none the less.

Your first task should be to spend some quality time with a calibration disc (such as "Spears & Munsil", Blu-ray) to make sure you haven't accidentally altered the level settings in your TV (Brightness for black levels, Contrast for whites, Color, Tint, and Saturation). Also check that you are still using the "best" Picture Mode choice for your TV -- likely whatever you were using before you started noticing this issue. Also check that you haven't accidentally turned on some of the video processing "enhancements" in your TV which may be screwing up the image.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11858 of 11872 Old 02-03-2017, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
What you are describing sounds like compression defects in the transfer to disc. I.e., they haven't used enough bit-rate for those scenes to keep the compression of the backgrounds from becoming noticeable.

If that's what it is, the defect is in the content on the disc and there's no setting in the player or TV that will make it go away. You can lower your Black levels (Brightness setting in the TV) to crush a bit more of the near-black content and make such stuff less visible, but the compression noise will be there none the less.

Your first task should be to spend some quality time with a calibration disc (such as "Spears & Munsil", Blu-ray) to make sure you haven't accidentally altered the level settings in your TV (Brightness for black levels, Contrast for whites, Color, Tint, and Saturation). Also check that you are still using the "best" Picture Mode choice for your TV -- likely whatever you were using before you started noticing this issue. Also check that you haven't accidentally turned on some of the video processing "enhancements" in your TV which may be screwing up the image.
--Bob
Thank you for the quick reply. I havn't changed any setting at all on my tv or player since this happened. I have a file of Star wars 7 on my computer and compared it to how the 95 plays it and there is no blurry playback wahtsoever on the computer file.
I've played about 4 blu-ray discs and the two that I mentioned have this problem, it's funny that you mention low bit rate because is this was on youtube thats what I'd suspect it was. But star wars looks perfect on my computer at the place it doesnt on my tv.

I recently watched Monsters vs Aliens on bluray and it was perfect, no problems. Also the second Sin city I didn't notice any of this then either. The file of Star wars that looks perfect on my computer makes me think it's the 95's problem. That's why I've begun suspecting maybe the answer is a newer model.
I've been extremely happy with the quality of blu-ray on this tv until now. The Blair disc having low bit-rate makes sense, but the Star wars disc looks perfect on my computer so I would expect it to look the same on my tv. Maybe that's not correct tho.

I've begun considering the new 203-205 models. I'll watch The Dark Knight and Dark Knight rises this weekend and see what happens. Maybe I could try Avatar since that disc is considered reference level pq.

Any more info is always appreciated.
post #11859 of 11872 Old 03-01-2017, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Upgraded power cords

Has anyone noticed any improvement in 2-channel sound on the BDP-95 by upgrading the stock power cord? I've seen two pro reviews on the subject, both positive, involving the Shunyata Alpha Digital power cord ($450) and the Essence Reference II cord ($2000). But the latter cord is 1.5 times the cost of the the unit! I am using the Oppo as the DAC for my 300B SET amp. I am also looking into upgrading the power cord on the amp also, but was wondering whether it's worth it on the Oppo. Any low budget (<$400) recommendations are welcome.
post #11860 of 11872 Old 03-01-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post
Has anyone noticed any improvement in 2-channel sound on the BDP-95 by upgrading the stock power cord? I've seen two pro reviews on the subject, both positive, involving the Shunyata Alpha Digital power cord ($450) and the Essence Reference II cord ($2000). But the latter cord is 1.5 times the cost of the the unit! I am using the Oppo as the DAC for my 300B SET amp. I am also looking into upgrading the power cord on the amp also, but was wondering whether it's worth it on the Oppo. Any low budget (<$400) recommendations are welcome.
I personally say it's snake oil. I find it hard to believe a manufacturer would build a unit like the 95 and then use a power cord that compromised its performance.
post #11861 of 11872 Old 03-01-2017, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I personally say it's snake oil. I find it hard to believe a manufacturer would build a unit like the 95 and then use a power cord that compromised its performance.
Definitely snake oil!!!!

Along with $200 -$2000+ usb cables, hdmi cables, speaker cables etc etc etc.

But of course this point has been debated ad nauseum on so many threads here, everybody has got their mind made up (including me!!) and nobody has ever convinced anyone else to change their mind.

People with money to burn believe, people with financial restraints disbelieve, and so it will always be with we humans!!!
post #11862 of 11872 Old 03-01-2017, 10:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Don't forget to upgrade the wall socket, the in-wall wiring in your house, the circuit breaker box, and the 3 miles of squirrel-chewed power line between your house and the generator. I mean really, the last 3 feet of power cord isn't going to make a difference.
--Bob
ti-triodes likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11863 of 11872 Old 03-01-2017, 10:10 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Don't forget to upgrade the wall socket, the in-wall wiring in your house, the circuit breaker box, and the 3 miles of squirrel-chewed power line between your house and the generator. I mean really, the last 3 feet of power cord isn't going to make a difference.
--Bob

or just get off the grid for true fidelity.

It makes more sense to buy a power regenerator that a $2000 power cord.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG B6 | Lumagen 2020
post #11864 of 11872 Old 03-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Funny thing you bring that up

I believe that a power cord can degrade what's coming from the outlet; but not improve it.
I wired my house myself when we built it in 1980.
The circuit that my stereo system is on is a dedicated 12-2 run from the breaker.
My town has it's own electric utility, so the power is of pretty good quality. (I think)
So I built my own power cord out of 14-3 romex with an IEC female and a common grounding male.
I have not noticed any difference with my Rotel RX-1052; but the A-B testing was done when the DIY cord was brand new. (If the whole break-in thing is not snake-oil, too.
I used to think it was; but I have my doubts after a few pairs of interconnects seemed to improve with age. Psychoacoustic adaptation?)
When I plug the thing into the Oppo, I think I think I notice a little more sparkle from the cymbals. I don'r want to switch back and forth too much to prove/disprove it; because
sometimes my BDP95 is silent when it starts and I don't want to tempt fate.
So maybe I'll make another cord or replace the Oppo 18g with the Rotel 16g.

By the way, the DIY cord is plugged directly into an outlet; while the manufacturers were into "filtered" surge protectors. That might have made a difference.
post #11865 of 11872 Old 03-01-2017, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untaru View Post
I need to apologize.
I am sorry, it is my fault that I did not ask you additional questions before posting the solution.
When you connect an Ex-Fat drive to OPPO you get, on the Welcome Screen, in the left up corner the message "No Disc" as you said in your post, but you get also, in the right up corner, a solid (permanent) USB CONNECTED SIGN. You get both messages, not only the "No Disc" message. OPPO does not pass automatically the Welcome Screen and you have to go manually to the Home Screen.
If you have told us that there is also a solid USB CONNECTED SIGN in the right up corner then I would go directly in telling you that your file system might be the problem.
You did not mention anything about the solid USB CONNECTED SIGN in the right up corner which lead me to the conclusion that, on the first place, there is a connection problem.
As I said I should have ask you additional questions before rushing into the conclusion that there is a connection problem.
Please accept my apologizes.
I am sorry again, it is my fault.
Thank you.

I am having the same problem using a USB powered WD 2TB hard drive. I experimented loading MP4 music videos onto the hard drive which already had movies on it. I went to the home page and entered the movie icon. Everything on the hard drive played fine.
Then thinking everything was fine I bought a new WD 2TB USB powered hard drive and loaded just the MP4 music videos.
Now when I go to the home page and enter the movie icon it just continues to show no disc.

So I'm wondering if a solution was every found to this problem??

I'm also wondering where you guys are getting a welcome screen and also USB connected. I also use a USB memory stick loaded with MP3s which works fine but I have never seen a welcome screen or USB connected message.
post #11866 of 11872 Old 03-04-2017, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Servicing Needed?

My Oppo BDP-95 has been acting up within the past several months with many, previously flawless playbacks of DVDs and Blu Ray titles. Audio dropouts are much more prevalent than video dropouts; the most recent title that wouldn't play nice with my unit is the new Hacksaw Ridge BD. I checked again today that I am using the most current firmware version.

Guessing, approximately 99.5% of playback is unaffected but over the course of a 2 hour movie, that still sucks for approximately 30 seconds and seriously ruins the enjoyment of the movie. Does the laser mechanism need cleaning or perhaps something else that Oppo servicing would correct? Thanks.
post #11867 of 11872 Old 03-04-2017, 12:40 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 2823 Post(s)
Liked: 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post
My Oppo BDP-95 has been acting up within the past several months with many, previously flawless playbacks of DVDs and Blu Ray titles. Audio dropouts are much more prevalent than video dropouts; the most recent title that wouldn't play nice with my unit is the new Hacksaw Ridge BD. I checked again today that I am using the most current firmware version.

Guessing, approximately 99.5% of playback is unaffected but over the course of a 2 hour movie, that still sucks for approximately 30 seconds and seriously ruins the enjoyment of the movie. Does the laser mechanism need cleaning or perhaps something else that Oppo servicing would correct? Thanks.
I would try cleaning first: compressed air from a can through the open tray slot.

If still no good, I would open the case and lightly swab the laser heads with alcohol.

Else contact OPPO and ask for their advice. If it needs service they have fixed-price repair and quick turn-around.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #11868 of 11872 Old 03-04-2017, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I would try cleaning first: compressed air from a can through the open tray slot.

If still no good, I would open the case and lightly swab the laser heads with alcohol.

Else contact OPPO and ask for their advice. If it needs service they have fixed-price repair and quick turn-around.

-Bill
Appreciate your advice, Bill. Thank you.
post #11869 of 11872 Old 03-04-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Clevor,

Without entering in a cable debate, I tried the Pangea AC-14SE power cord with good results for the Oppo 95. For the amp, I am using the Pangea AC-9SE. These cables have good cost benefit ratio IMHO.

QJA

Marcos

Last edited by mtavares; 03-04-2017 at 04:46 PM.
post #11870 of 11872 Old Today, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I am having the same problem using a USB powered WD 2TB hard drive. I experimented loading MP4 music videos onto the hard drive which already had movies on it. I went to the home page and entered the movie icon. Everything on the hard drive played fine.
Then thinking everything was fine I bought a new WD 2TB USB powered hard drive and loaded just the MP4 music videos.
Now when I go to the home page and enter the movie icon it just continues to show no disc.

I'm also wondering where you guys are getting a welcome screen and also USB connected. I also use a USB memory stick loaded with MP3s which works fine but I have never seen a welcome screen or USB connected message.
I am using an old firmware, actually is the last firmware that can play 3D ISO from an attached HDD Drive and has no Cinavia, AFAIK, never update the player since that firmware, because these are features that I need.
The firmware name is BDP9x-61-1219.
This is why I have the welcome screen and the USB connected.
Thanks,
post #11871 of 11872 Old Today, 04:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Most likely the Partition style and the Format of the Partition are not supported by the 95. See the FAQ. Try MBR Partitioning and FAT formatting for example.

Another possibility is that the drive is trying to draw too much power from the USB socket of the 95. Fix this by connecting external power to the drive or by using an externally powered USB Hub to connect the drive to the 95.
--Bob

post #11872 of 11872 Old Today, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Hi,
In order to use a External Powered USB Drive with OPPO95 you should use this simple procedure.
Have the Oppo and the external drive ready, none of them powered, the USB drive should be connected by USB cable to one of OPPO's USB ports.
1) Push the front power button on Oppo or the power button on OPPO remote (the USB HDD should be power off)
2) After 3-4 seconds power on the USB external Drive
3) Wait and you will see that the USB has successfully connected with OPPO (first OPPO will display "No drive" in the left up corner but after few seconds you will see in the right up corner that OPPO is connecting to the USB drive).
If you want to do this process automatically you have to buy a Master-Slave power socket and put OPPO in the master socket and the USB drive in one of the slave sockets.
The above described method works will most of the players. I tested with OPPO, Dune and Popcorn Hour.
I have a Master Slave Power Socket that does this automatically.
I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player