Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 397 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

post #11881 of 11910 Old 04-13-2017, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
OPPO has backlit remotes for the 103 series for $12. The codes are the same across the models; the button layout changes very slightly.

Check out the enlarged image to ensure it isn't missing anything you need: http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetai...xRemote&cat=23

Also: have you contacted OPPO? They might have a few onhand even if not listed at the online store.

-Bill
I have never had the need to contact Oppo Support before but boy, do they respond fast!

They do not have anymore BDP-95 backlit remotes, but they did recommend the one for the BDP-105 for around $12. I bought one for everyday use and will retire my OEM -95 remote in case I sell my unit, as it's probably still fine. I prefer the beefy backlit models.

My -95 remote was having a problem with not turning on the unit, but Oppo said to just reset the remote code on the unit. I'm at work so I'll try that when I get home. I should have learned a lesson from my vintage Toshiba RD-XS HDD recorders to get spare remotes when they are available. These were discontinued in 2006 or so and the factory remotes are impossible to find now. Factory remotes in brand new or cherry condition do increase the sale value of these recorders on Ebay as most are listed w/o remotes.

What's interesting about the non-backlit BDP-95 remotes is they are selling for $26-32 on Ebay or Amazon when you can get them direct from Oppo for $8! Oppo is probably selling them for close to wholesale price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11882 of 11910 Old 05-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
2 TB WD My Passport Ultra not recognized

I have recently switched my 1TB usb Western Digital HD, to a 2TB WD HD, NFTS. The 1TB was recognized and played all flac's with no problems. The new drive is recognized on the startup screen, but is not there with-in the home screen. I just reformatted a small usb stick to both fat 32 and NFTS and worked fine. Should I reformat the new 2TB drive and try again.
post #11883 of 11910 Old 05-06-2017, 02:51 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3403 Post(s)
Liked: 2658
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashgg View Post
I have recently switched my 1TB usb Western Digital HD, to a 2TB WD HD, NFTS. The 1TB was recognized and played all flac's with no problems. The new drive is recognized on the startup screen, but is not there with-in the home screen. I just reformatted a small usb stick to both fat 32 and NFTS and worked fine. Should I reformat the new 2TB drive and try again.
It is more likely the partition table. The player supports drives with the older MBR (Master boot record) type of partitioning, which limits partition size to a maximum of 2TB.

It does not support the newer GPT (GUID Partition Table) type of partitioning which would allow larger discs and partitions.

You will need to reformat the drive, not just for the file system, but to put on MBR partition tables, then a new file system.

What OS are you using?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    

post #11884 of 11910 Old 05-06-2017, 05:12 PM

I'm using windows 10 OS.
post #11885 of 11910 Old 05-06-2017, 05:23 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
I'm using windows 10 OS.
I can tell you how to do it with Linux...

Googling brings up a lot of Windows articles, like: https://www.howtogeek.com/school/usi...a-pro/lesson4/

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #11886 of 11910 Old 05-06-2017, 07:54 PM

I've changed the drive to a MBR, but it is now not showing up as a usable drive, ie. "G" drive, as before. It is listed under "devices and printers", but not under "this PC". it's properties, when looking in devices and printers, says it is a MBR. Not sure what o do now??
post #11887 of 11910 Old 05-06-2017, 08:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 3792 Post(s)
Liked: 4929
Quote:
I've changed the drive to a MBR, but it is now not showing up as a usable drive, ie. "G" drive, as before. It is listed under "devices and printers", but not under "this PC". it's properties, when looking in devices and printers, says it is a MBR. Not sure what o do now??
A disk drive can have more than one "logical volume" formatted on to it. To your programs on the computer, each logical volume looks like a separate disk even though they are all actually located on the same physical hard drive. The partitioning sets up HOW the physical disk supports one or more logical volumes, and how many of them, of what size, are defined on that one physical hard drive. So you just told the disk to use MBR-style partitioning.

What's missing is you now have to Format each partition on the disk before the operating system will see it and assign a letter to it. You may have only one partition on the disk, in which case after formatting there will be one letter assigned.

Anyway, check your Windows documentation for how to Format a disk. Typical formatting types would be FAT and NTFS.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11888 of 11910 Old 05-07-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
A disk drive can have more than one "logical volume" formatted on to it. To your programs on the computer, each logical volume looks like a separate disk even though they are all actually located on the same physical hard drive. The partitioning sets up HOW the physical disk supports one or more logical volumes, and how many of them, of what size, are defined on that one physical hard drive. So you just told the disk to use MBR-style partitioning.

What's missing is you now have to Format each partition on the disk before the operating system will see it and assign a letter to it. You may have only one partition on the disk, in which case after formatting there will be one letter assigned.

Anyway, check your Windows documentation for how to Format a disk. Typical formatting types would be FAT and NTFS.
--Bob
Thanks Bob. I figured out I had to assign a letter to the drive and then the OS did recognize it. Tested a flac file to it and the Oppo recognized and played it. Thanks to Bill for his help also.
gsr and wmcclain like this.
post #11889 of 11910 Old 06-10-2017, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 144
LG 55" C7 OLED is messing w/ analog out on BD discs?

I was a happy camper driving my old Pioneer Elite Pro-1000 HD at 720p component and playing BDs in 5.1 analog out into my (equally ancient) Anthem AVM 20. Unfortunately the Pioneer gave up the ghost and now I'm driving the OLED through HDMI. This has resulted in a marked deterioration in the analog sound of a number of discs I've tried: the Bourne Trilogy, Apocalypse Now and Star Wars IV-VI in DTS-MA 5.1.

I have CEC off in the Oppo, can't seem to do that on the TV. I've tried HDMI1 and HDMI2 and flipping various other settings, to no effect. Right now I'm listening to "Totally Ripped", the Olympia set. I can tell that the TV's HDCP is active because audio is temporarily absent when I turn off the TV. But this disc sounds fine, so presumably it lacks some copy protection the others have.

I can't say I'm shocked: I was worried about some HDCP interaction when I replaced the TV. I'm waiting for the HDMI upgrades on the Emotiva XMC-1 this summer to change pre-pros. Am I stuck until then, or am I missing something in the settings?

P.S. Was I ever wrong! The TV screen was causing the problem! It is larger than the Pioneer was (55" vs. 50"), mounted a few inches higher and tilted slightly down. The Pioneer was mounted dead flush and had a heavy moulded plastic frame. We sit 12' away on a couch against the wall. The TV was literally (and efficiently) beaming doubly and triply reflected center channel sound directly at us. So it was disproportionately affecting movie discs that were heavy to center channel. Luckily I was able to move some things around to increase the direct center channel sound and more or less restore the balance. I knew that screens were a big acoustic problem, but it never occurred to me that the sum of some minor changes could cause significant changes in the acoustics of a largish room.

5 Paradigm Studio 100 v3s, Servo-15 sub, Bryston 4B & 6B SST, Anthem AVM 20, Oppo bdp-95, LG 55" oled C7

Last edited by Jim Pearce; 06-11-2017 at 04:50 PM.
post #11890 of 11910 Old 07-20-2017, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Red face Netflix on Oppo95EU ?

I have an Oppo95EU and want to start using Netflix. How do I enable Netflix or install the Netflix app on the Oppo 95EU?
Netflix is available in my region. If it can't be done, is there a way to load a US firmware, with Netflix installed, on my Oppo?
Thanks and regards!
post #11891 of 11910 Old 07-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ You are out of luck. Even if you had a US version 95 player, the older, US version Netflix app on it would not work with the Netflix servers in EU.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11892 of 11910 Old 08-14-2017, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just bought my first SACD music disc to play on the Oppo 95. I am using the dedicated stereo with two speakers and a receiver. I had the audio set on DSD but then noticed that the disc read PCM. So I turned the HDMI audio Off as mentioned on another forum. Then it played DSD. It seems to play on either PCM or DSD without any sound difference. What setting am I supposed to be on?
post #11893 of 11910 Old 08-14-2017, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The explanations start on page 67 of the owners manual. It depends on your set-up. I am connecting to a stereo preamp, so I use this:

Stereo Analog Audio to Receiver
If you primarily listen to stereo contents or your receiver only offers stereo audio connections, please use the
RCA-style cables to connect the dedicated STEREO AUDIO OUT, or use the XLR3 cables to connect the
BALANCED STEREO AUDIO OUT of the player to your receiver, as described in “Method 8 or 9” on page 17
to 18 of this guide. The following audio format options are recommended:
o Secondary Audio: Off (or On if you need secondary audio)
o HDMI Audio: Off
o SACD Output: PCM or DSD (depending on your listening preference)
o HDCD Decoding: On
o Coaxial Optical Output: (any – not in use)
o LPCM Rate Limit: (any – set to 192k may help to get the best analog
audio quality)
post #11894 of 11910 Old 08-15-2017, 06:22 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I just bought my first SACD music disc to play on the Oppo 95. I am using the dedicated stereo with two speakers and a receiver. I had the audio set on DSD but then noticed that the disc read PCM. So I turned the HDMI audio Off as mentioned on another forum. Then it played DSD. It seems to play on either PCM or DSD without any sound difference. What setting am I supposed to be on?
In theory, you should not hear a difference.

Using PCM means you can use audio processing in the OPPO (such as Crossover and speaker distance adjustment). Such processing is primarily for multi-channel, so not really relevant to stereo listening.
--Bob

post #11895 of 11910 Old 08-19-2017, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hi all,

Recently purchased a used Oppo BDP-95 from a pawn shop, boy am I stoked about this thing. Even playing through my old Dynaco stereo I immediately noticed an increase in SQ, and the thing is built like masonry facilities. I think I have tested everything thoroughly except for the composite video output (like I'll ever use that!) and the wireless networking capabilities, as I am waiting for my friendly postman to deliver a package from Oppo Digital that should be here any minute (I love that Oppo still sells replacement accessories for their players at a reasonable price.)

Two questions:

1) I tried using the wireless adapter from my BDP-103 just for S&G and it locked up the player. Is this a bad sign or are they different between the two models?

2) While temporarily hooking the player up to the living room TV to test the component video outputs (and yes, it's playing a BD at 1080i) I noticed that the fan at the back of the case was not spinning. Is this cause for concern, or does the fan only turn on when actually needed? Edit: it apparently only comes on when needed. I let it keep playing a BD while messing around online waiting for postman and it is on now.

I'm just trying to get confidence in this unit as obviously I have no history before I rack it with my good stereo. I'm already committed, I've tentatively sold three BD/DVD players and just dropped off an old Samsung at the local Goodwill (I only kept it because it had good component video outs, but I couldn't get it to connect to my home network, and Samsung doesn't have updated firmware for it on their web site, and their tech support people are useless - very much unlike Oppo!)

thanks!

Last edited by n8nagel; 08-19-2017 at 09:40 AM.
post #11896 of 11910 Old 08-19-2017, 10:15 AM

OK, question answered - postman showed up early today (yay!) and the WiFi dongle is different in appearance from the one on my 103, and the 95 is now fully functional.

I'm sure you all know this, but I really love Oppo's CS. Got a replacement remote (GITD not backlit though... boo hiss) a WiFi dongle and they threw in a couple replacement RCA covers at my request, something like $35 shipped and it took two days to get here from CA. I really can't ask for anything more than that. Makes me feel really confident using Oppo products.
post #11897 of 11910 Old 08-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ It is permitted to hop up and down in unbridled glee!

--Bob
ti-triodes likes this.

post #11898 of 11910 Old 08-20-2017, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nagel View Post
Makes me feel really confident using Oppo products.
You have joined what is probably one of the most appreciative consumer group in existence - that of Oppo owners.

The two things Oppo excels at:
Quality Product
Quality Service

What more could any consumer ask for??
post #11899 of 11910 Old 08-20-2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post
I believe the original, factory, backlit remote is no longer available direct from Oppo. Is it available anywhere new???

It seems Oppo is selling the non-backlit version for the BDP-95 for $8.00. But what is the quality of this stuff considering the backlit (presumably OEM) remotes for the later versions of the Oppo are still available and cost around $50?

Would the backlit remotes for the later version Oppos work on my BDP-95?
I see that this has been somewhat answered, but just having bought one I'll chime in

1) I don't have an original 93/95 remote to compare, but the GITD remote is much lighter and less solid feeling than the backlit one for my 103.

2) don't pay real money for any oppo remote before checking their web store. All the newer remotes are $12 plus shipping direct from oppo.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
post #11900 of 11910 Old 08-20-2017, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post
I believe the original, factory, backlit remote is no longer available direct from Oppo. Is it available anywhere new???
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nagel View Post
2) don't pay real money for any oppo remote before checking their web store. All the newer remotes are $12 plus shipping direct from oppo.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
If you are wanting to preserve the life of your remotes, then, depending on what type of phone or tablet you have, and on whether your Oppo is always connected to your LAN (by ethernet or wirelessly) you might also want to consider downloading the Oppo Remote App.

I use it mainly for selecting and playing music tracks without needing to turn on my TV, but it can also be used for controlling the Oppo for virtually all functions.
post #11901 of 11910 Old 08-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Is there a model comparison somewhere for the various Oppo models? Oppo is no help as they only want to talk about the 20x models.

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #11902 of 11910 Old 08-23-2017, 02:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Is there a model comparison somewhere for the various Oppo models? Oppo is no help as they only want to talk about the 20x models.

Jeff
The OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 are their current players. They no longer make any of the older players at this point.

Was there something else you'd like to know?

The Support page at OPPO will get you to the individual Support pages for the players, including the older players:

http://www.oppodigital.com/Support.aspx

From the Support page for any player, you can, for example, download its Manual, which will include inputs, outputs, supported formats and specifications.
--Bob

post #11903 of 11910 Old 08-23-2017, 02:46 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Jeff
The FAQs in my signature have differences between a model and the previous series. You'd have to combine those to get an overview of all models.

-Bill
pepar likes this.

post #11904 of 11910 Old 08-23-2017, 03:45 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
The OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 are their current players. They no longer make any of the older players at this point.

Was there something else you'd like to know?

The Support page at OPPO will get you to the individual Support pages for the players, including the older players:

http://www.oppodigital.com/Support.aspx

From the Support page for any player, you can, for example, download its Manual, which will include inputs, outputs, supported formats and specifications.
--Bob
Thanks. I have an 80 and want to use DLNA. Don't need 4k player or upscaler.

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #11905 of 11910 Old 09-05-2017, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Hi guys. By default (when turning it ON) the OPPO 95 displays the images at 60Hz, and only changes to 24Hz when it starts playing a movie - or any other 24Hz content - but is it possible to make it start by default at 24Hz?

Basically, and since almost all the content I watch is 1080p 24Hz, I don't want the player to keep jumping between 60 and 24Hz whenever I start and stop a new video file.

I'm trying to find info about this on the manual but I'm a bit confused.
post #11906 of 11910 Old 09-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ It is not possible.
--Bob
Silva741 likes this.

post #11907 of 11910 Old 09-06-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
^ It is not possible.
--Bob
Damn. It'd be useful. Thanks for the quick reply, Bob.
post #11908 of 11910 Old 10-10-2017, 02:29 PM

And it seems my OPPO is giving me a fight, I'm having some problems connecting it to the LAN, I'd appreciate some advice or suggestions.

Using Wi-Fi isn't possible (there are several very thick walls between the home theater and the router), so I'll have to use an ethernet cable, around 80 or 100' between the player and the router. My main goal is having a central DLNA server with all my media, accessible easily, but I also want to control the OPPO 95 using a (android) tablet or smartphone. Initially I thought about using the provided wireless USB pen, but without Wi-Fi it wouldn't work.

My question is, does the OPPO tablet and smartphone software allow such a thing? Inside the home theater there isn't Wi-Fi, so the tablet/smartphone can't use the LAN.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Last edited by Silva741; 10-10-2017 at 02:44 PM.
post #11909 of 11910 Old 10-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
And it seems my OPPO is giving me a fight, I'm having some problems connecting it to the LAN, I'd appreciate some advice or suggestions.

Using Wi-Fi isn't possible (there are several very thick walls between the home theater and the router), so I'll have to use an ethernet cable, around 80 or 100' between the player and the router. My main goal is having a central DLNA server with all my media, accessible easily, but I also want to control the OPPO 95 using a (android) tablet or smartphone. Initially I thought about using the provided wireless USB pen, but without Wi-Fi it wouldn't work.

My question is, does the OPPO tablet and smartphone software allow such a thing? Inside the home theater there isn't Wi-Fi, so the tablet/smartphone can't use the LAN.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
If you have Ethernet to the home theater, you can set up *ANOTHER* Wifi base station inside the home theater. It doesn't have to be an extension of the Wifi you are using elsewhere in the place. I.e., the names can be different and they can run on separate radio channels. As long as both Wifi's go through the same Router, it is effectively one network made up of the directly connected Ethernet devices *AND* the devices connected to the one or more Wifi bases connected to the Router by Ethernet.

Once you have that new Wifi in operation, you can go back to your original plan.
--Bob
Silva741 likes this.

post #11910 of 11910 Old 10-11-2017, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I understand the 95 doesn't have a media app for IOS. Bummer. I use one all the time with the 203. Has anyone successfully used the 95 media app for android devices with a kindle fire? I can get a refurb kindle fire 7 for 29 bucks and might do so just to use the media app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page