5Likes

post #91 of 11233 Old 02-01-2011, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giberson View Post

This is weird. I have the 95 hooked up directly to a Krell FPB 200C via balanced output. When I power the 95 down, just before it shuts completely off, the speakers make a popping sound. Not loud enough to cause damage, I hope, but loud enough to cause me concern. Anyone else have a 95 hooked directly to a power amp using XLR having the same issue? There does not seem to be a correlation between the volume setting of the 95 and the volume of the pop.

Hi Don,

If you must use oppo vol control direct to power amp ,then you should when

turning off system , amps off first , and when turning on system amps on last .

I would recommend not connecting oppo directly to amp , krells work best with a pre amp for vol control .

Cheers Victor.

Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 05:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:

This is weird. I have the 95 hooked up directly to a Krell FPB 200C via balanced output. When I power the 95 down, just before it shuts completely off, the speakers make a popping sound. Not loud enough to cause damage, I hope, but loud enough to cause me concern. Anyone else have a 95 hooked directly to a power amp using XLR having the same issue? There does not seem to be a correlation between the volume setting of the 95 and the volume of the pop.

Call Oppo. The muting relays should prevent that. Perhaps your 95 has a hardware flaw, or perhaps something else is going on.

I'm presuming you are turning the player off normally as opposed to, say cutting off wall power to it externally.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #93 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop View Post
OK, last post of the night before I pack it in for today.

I know my processor is a passthrough for 5.1 but was unsure if the the stereo inputs were analog passthrough as well. Evidently they are not which is why I am hearing such a difference between the 5.1 and stereo outs of the Oppo. I am using two different bass management systems. Both are sounding good, though. But different. At the moment maybe not a fair comparison since I could easily have the two systems set a bit different.

~Bob
Would probably be a PITA but perhaps try the the 2 ch analog outs from the 95 into the FL/FR inputs on you AVR (leaving the other 4 inputs unused) just to see what the player can do in that mode. At least you know the 5.1s are a true pass through and you don't have to resort to a downmix .
post #94 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Any real pictures of this thing, the Oppo imagines are so cartooney.

DJoel

post #95 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor tubeman View Post
Hi Rebop,

Did you use internal tones or test disc to set .1 chan ?

Cheers Victor.
Actually, I have tried several ways. The big level difference came from internal tones. This is indeed 15 dB below what I expected and I compensated for it.

Using WOW, the sub is 3-6dB hot. But I think that is DTS audio and for some reason I recall DTS sub levels as hotter than Dolby.

The third was in using stereo outs to my processor which then, as it appears, redigitizes and uses its own bass management and has internal tones. This seems to be the most correct level matching of any and the sub blends well with 2 or 5 channel audio, but is also the least used method of playback for me.

~Bob

~Bob
post #96 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rang View Post
Would probably be a PITA but perhaps try the the 2 ch analog outs from the 95 into the FL/FR inputs on you AVR (leaving the other 4 inputs unused) just to see what the player can do in that mode. At least you know the 5.1s are a true pass through and you don't have to resort to a downmix .
This is a good idea. and you are right, it will be a PITA But I may give it a try when I have a spare afternoon.

~Bob

~Bob
post #97 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

DJoel
http://www.laaudiofile.com/oppo_bdp95.html
post #98 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:

DJoel
I have to say that from the Oppo pictures, I was not pleased with the look of the 95. 93 looked better. But in person, it is much better than the pictures would have me believe. I'm pleased.

~Bob

~Bob
post #99 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Find, some of my reviews here. I have 95 xlr> 2ch. pro amp xlr> PSB Silveri Speakers.. SQ is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCase7 View Post
I read earlier in this thread about volume control. Can this unit hook directly into an amplifier via rca or balanced xlr, or does it need a preprocessor?
post #100 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
It's usually advisable to shut down your gear sequentially: starting at the power amp > preamp > source.

In this way, any switching transients will not be amplified to the speakers.

Turning on gear, you should begin with the source > preamp > amplifier, so that the turn-on spikes aren't sent down the chain.

Even when using a universal remote, you can usually program the sequence and delay of each device's turn on/off.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #101 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 08:18 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Don, I have been using my 95xlr>amp>speakers quite exclusively (other than a few 5.1 movies via AVR).
I haven’t heard any speaker clicks or pops. I have turn the 95 off 1st most of the time. Then the amp-by hand.
However, usually turn on amp 1st.- by hand then turn On the 95 to insert my disc.
I'll re-look today.
There are the relay clicks in the 95 which are- noticeable.
db
Beta Tester #9
post #102 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
Don, I have been using my 95xlr>amp>speakers quite exclusively (other than a few 5.1 movies via AVR).
I haven't heard any speaker clicks or pops. I have turn the 95 off 1st most of the time. Then the amp-by hand.I'll re-look today.
There are the relay clicks in the 95 which are- noticeable.
db
Beta Tester #9
db,

Do you hear the relay clicking from the 95 only when you power off? If you have experience with the 83SE how would you say the 95 and the 83SE compare for analog SQ?

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #103 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
Thanks John it's looks like the same picture from the Oppo site

DJoel

post #104 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop View Post
I have to say that from the Oppo pictures, I was not pleased with the look of the 95. 93 looked better. But in person, it is much better than the pictures would have me believe. I'm pleased.

~Bob
Oh I'm sure it does look better in person than anything, just curious to see it far from the evil looking lighting in the ad pics

Thanks

Djoel

post #105 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
db,

Do you hear the relay clicking from the 95 only when you power off? If you have experience with the 83SE how would you say the 95 and the 83SE compare for analog SQ?

Bill
The relays are used for Muting (relays instead of transistors for improved audio quality). So the sound only happens when you enter or leave mute.
--Bob

post #106 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
...Turning on gear, you should begin with the source > preamp > amplifier, so that the turn-on spikes aren't sent down the chain.
Even when using a universal remote, you can usually program the sequence and delay of each device's turn on/off. Lee
Very good advice for analog, but not when HDMI is involved, that start up sequence can create Handshake problems, which would be solved by starting with the TV and working backwards sequentially. I have my power amp 12v triggered off my AVR, which works great.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #107 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the advice. I always thought the shorter the signal path the better. I purchased a Xindac preamp as an interim device until I found a CAST compatible Krell preamp. There was an appreciable reduction in SQ with the Xindac which is why I have connected the 95 direct to the Krell.

As far as sound quality goes, it sounds remarkable. I have not had the opportunity to hear a lot of front ends on this system so I don't have a lot to compare with. I have an older Marantz transport and Citation 7.0 I tried and the Oppo 95 sounds superior. The Citation and the Xindac both seem to muffle the sound. Sort of analogous to putting cotton in your ears.

I have also compared the 95 to an 83 I use in my theater and an SE I took on trial. The 95 is better resolved than the 83. similar to the SE but smoother than THE SE. Oddly, the soundstage is different. The 95 seems to have a deeper soundstage. Vocals on a couple disks of which I am quite familiar seem to be less up front but crystal clear. The presentation is altogether different than either the 83 or SE. In fact, the soundstage sounded so different, I thought I had hooked the left and right cables in reverse. The dynamics seemed to have changed. Vocals set back, high hat cymbals seem a tiny bit more up front. Instruments seem more isolated as do vocals. For me, I really like the change. Also, the 95 took the edge off my speakers. I have the Krell powering a couple Wlson Watt Puppy 6s.

The 95 loads quick, transport tray seems a bit smoother too. Overall, I am pleased.
post #108 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

DJoel

Sorry 'bout that - hadn't thought to compare.

Oh well. Mine is scheduled to arrive today. They (FedEx) usually hit this part of the hill in the early afternoon. I'll get a first hand look. I can take pictures, but I'm stuck with a S-L-O-W internet uplink speed, so pointless to post anything hi-rez. I'm not too interested to take the top off at this point. I should be able to spend a good portion of tomorrow listening to it. Some CD's, SACD's. DVD-A's, and of corse Blu rays. Looking forward to it.
post #109 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I always thought the shorter the signal path the better. I purchased a Xindac preamp as an interim device until I found a CAST compatible Krell preamp. There was an appreciable reduction in SQ with the Xindac which is why I have connected the 95 direct to the Krell.

As far as sound quality goes, it sounds remarkable. I have not had the opportunity to hear a lot of front ends on this system so I don't have a lot to compare with. I have an older Marantz transport and Citation 7.0 I tried and the Oppo 95 sounds superior. The Citation and the Xindac both seem to muffle the sound. Sort of analogous to putting cotton in your ears.

I have also compared the 95 to an 83 I use in my theater and an SE I took on trial. The 95 is better resolved than the 83. similar to the SE but smoother than THE SE. Oddly, the soundstage is different. The 95 seems to have a deeper soundstage. Vocals on a couple disks of which I am quite familiar seem to be less up front but crystal clear. The presentation is altogether different than either the 83 or SE. In fact, the soundstage sounded so different, I thought I had hooked the left and right cables in reverse. The dynamics seemed to have changed. Vocals set back, high hat cymbals seem a tiny bit more up front. Instruments seem more isolated as do vocals. For me, I really like the change. Also, the 95 took the edge off my speakers. I have the Krell powering a couple Wlson Watt Puppy 6s.

The 95 loads quick, transport tray seems a bit smoother too. Overall, I am pleased.

Nice to hear I read already negative feed back in the other post, I should get mine by Friday! Look forward to it

My humble Cinema
post #110 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 09:47 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

The relay {handshake} clicks comes in threes - click//TlickTlick. When you change some item. When a handshake needs to happen or basically when the 95 is thinking what functions it needs to perform or transition to. Ticks/clicks are more distinct than the 83SE click.
I am still getting to understand the capabilities {which are impressive} of this player and haven’t had a change to calibrate it properly as of yet, wanted to put some hours under it first before an A/B.
However, watched - Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief NF/BR The Subwoofer shook the room….
post #111 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have to agree with your analysis of the 95. what stuck me with this unit was the surround which was the most natural sounding unit I have heard. The dialogue for the first time was not muddy but clear. I could actually understand what was being said.

The stereo does render a more natural sounding voice the the 83se nuforce edition.

What aim looking forward to is the see review of the nuforce mod on this unit I cannot see how the $1500 upgrade will make this unit sound any better.
post #112 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post

It's usually advisable to shut down your gear sequentially: starting at the power amp > preamp > source.

In this way, any switching transients will not be amplified to the speakers.

Turning on gear, you should begin with the source > preamp > amplifier, so that the turn-on spikes aren't sent down the chain.

Even when using a universal remote, you can usually program the sequence and delay of each device's turn on/off.

Lee

This could still be a problem if the Oppo shuts itself off automatically. Some of my machines do that if they're not busy doing anything else for awhile.

Does the Oppo shut off on it's own, and if so can the feature be disabled?
post #113 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post

Sorry 'bout that - hadn't thought to compare.

Oh well. Mine is scheduled to arrive today. They (FedEx) usually hit this part of the hill in the early afternoon. I'll get a first hand look. I can take pictures, but I'm stuck with a S-L-O-W internet uplink speed, so pointless to post anything hi-rez. I'm not too interested to take the top off at this point. I should be able to spend a good portion of tomorrow listening to it. Some CD's, SACD's. DVD-A's, and of corse Blu rays. Looking forward to it.

Lucky you won't be affected my any snow storms so you'll need to use another excuse to stay home

DJoel

post #114 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcopolo View Post

This could still be a problem if the Oppo shuts itself off automatically. Some of my machines do that if they're not busy doing anything else for awhile.

Does the Oppo shut off on it's own, and if so can the feature be disabled?

No. As far as it goes is the Screen Saver option to mute video output.

If you are using HDMI CEC, also check that your AVR or TV isn't set to command the player to power off as some sort of Sleep function.
--Bob

post #115 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

So much going on this week, I don't recall if this has been posted already, but here's a set of photos of the BDP-95 somebody just put up on FLICKR (the first photo is actually the front panel view from Oppo's web site):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5890957...7625834426843/

See the 95 enjoying a fine wine. Then get ready for some real excitement as the lid comes off...
--Bob

post #116 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I don't think so, I believe these are "LA Audio File" exclusive images
post #117 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 11:39 AM

If or when one of the 95 owners that also have a Denon 5910 would be great to hear your thoughts on cd sacd and dvd-audio between the two, thanks.
post #118 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

man , this new oppo looks solid. Anyone think Oppo will add a good cms control to a new version?

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
post #119 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

So much going on this week, I don't recall if this has been posted already, but here's a set of photos of the BDP-95 somebody just put up on FLICKR (the first photo is actually the front panel view from Oppo's web site):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5890957...7625834426843/

See the 95 enjoying a fine wine. Then get ready for some real excitement as the lid comes off...
--Bob

Thanks Bob

Man them pics surely look classy can't decide which one I like better the glass dragon, or the ceramic roster But never the less the Oppo has high droll factor!

Djoel

post #120 of 11233 Old 02-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

I'm surprised he didn't add a sound track from the Golden Age of Porn...

*Wacka Chicka Wacka Chicka*
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page