5Likes

post #1171 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Keep in mind that with Center OFF, you don't just have bass steering going on. You also have a down-mix. Center content is going to LF/RF, except for the bass portion that should be going to the Sub output due to the SMALL setting on LF/RF. I.e., the down-mixed bass from LF/RF and C together should be going to Sub through that crossover. (You do have LF/RF set to SMALL, right?)

With Center SMALL on the other hand, no Center content is going to LF/RF, but the bass portion is still going to Sub.
--Bob

I totally agree. However, that does not seem to be what is happening. It would be great for someone to confirm by testing low freq with center turned off.

And if so, there is still a bit of an issue as the difference between analog and SPDIF is still a difference on low end, but nowhere's nearly as great as with center turned off.

And yes, LF / RF, LR and RR are all set to small.

~Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Just made a quick check and Oppo has already pushed the ship date for any new BDP-95 orders out to March 18. MusicDirect is now quoting Feb 28 for new orders. Looks like orders are chugging right along.

(Oppo UK is still saying they'll accept pre-orders the first week of March for shipments the first week of April on the European, BDP-95EU.)

Not that I ever expect to find out, but it would be quite interesting to learn the ratio of 93 to 95 orders once things stabilize after the initial rush.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1173 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

But someone pointed out earlier in this thread I believe that if you have a component on top of the 83 or the 95 that will not allow convectional cooling from the case itself.

So the fact that I find the fan on my 83SE runs fairly often is most likely due to having my cable box on top of my 83SE. Having a PS Audio Duet in my rack behind the 83SE and the cable box so I can not swap them around (cable location issue).

So I guess the time I have spent listening and viewing with the 83SE I have become more tolerant of the fan. Or I could get creative and move things around in my rack so nothing is on top of the 83SE.

Just a quick update that I thought might be useful to 83 and 95 owners. I took the time the other night to move some components around so that there are no components on top of the 83SE. As soon as I took my cable box off of the 83SE I could feel how hot the bottom of the cable box was.

I was listening to music for 3-4 hours yesterday with the fan maybe coming on briefly for a few minutes. Having the top of the 83SE free so the heat from the top cover could dissipate easily cut down on the fan coming on. I wish I could recall who suggested that I keep the top of the 83SE open so it would cool better. But it was a great idea (pretty obvious) so thanks for the suggestion.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1174 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Trying to get an answer to this :

Has anyone tried comparing the SQ of the RCA to the XLR outputs?
Is there a lot of difference?

My MF A 5.5 does not have the XLRs...

Cheers

My gear & my blog:

post #1175 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Not that I ever expect to find out, but it would be quite interesting to learn the ratio of 93 to 95 orders once things stabilize after the initial rush.
--Bob

I'd figure it would be totally lopsided in favor of the 93. The price difference alone would see to that. Many people outside of enthusiasts like us also look at stereo as "obsolete".
post #1176 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I'd figure it would be totally lopsided in favor of the 93. The price difference alone would see to that. Many people outside of enthusiasts like us also look at stereo as "obsolete".

I agree, although I am an enthusiast the price difference between the 93 and the 95 will most likey have me buying the 93. My guess would be that the 93 would out sell the 95 by about 20 to 1 (maybe more).

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1177 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Please let us know I am thinking about doing that as well, but there is so much snake oil when it comes to cables

No problem. I am weary of snake oil cables myself. Though I do believe interconnect cables are very important. I always worry about cost and diminishing return on investment in the audio world. I feel the Shunyata is the best in terms of value vs performance.

I have a Shunyata Power Conditioner which was a hard buy for me, but I feel a Good Power Conditioner is more important than the cables themselves. I got upgraded power cables for my Preamp, Amp, and the BDP-95. Once I get the 95, I plan to do extensive listening tests with some of my favorite SACDs and see if how much of a difference the Shunyata Venom 3s (probably the best budget high end power cables on the market) make in my system. I can't wait to do this experiment and enjoy the 95 as well. Should be fun.

Russell

Russell
post #1178 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Initial Audio Impressions (day 2):

- deep deep bass
- highs are controlled and fit well with the 805s / MF combo, little sibilance
- the low mids are muddled a bit, and there is a veil covered some female voices, hopefully this gets better with time
- the sound takes time to warm up even in a single listening session, something I found with devices that use toroidal transformers.

The front panel is not easy to use for the elderly, the buttons are touch sensitive and the eject button is almost flush, which may aesthetically pleasing, but not helpful for those with poorer vision.

My gear & my blog:

post #1179 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 06:23 PM

More confused than ever now. The center on most definitely made a difference in the sub signal with Blu-ray, but now just checked with SACD and no difference center on or off. Same with CD and two channel out, redigitized by the Parasound (as expected - deep think start of Dark Side of the Moon) and through 5.1, bottom goes away.

So tomorrow morning when fresh I'll get out the flashlight and mirror and change out the sub out cable. But if that has no effect its almost square one again.

~Bob
post #1180 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

[ETA: This is a response to a post that got deleted by accident. See below.]

It's very difficult to describe but this result is consistent with what I am seeing in Beta testing as well. The 93 (same video solution as the 95) produces better BD imaging than the 83.

It's vital to realize you need to set each up independently. Don't just assume it's best to copy your 83 setup to the 93. It MAY turn out that works, but don't assume it.

I find the 93 produces more natural looking images. I've tested it with my most demanding scenes and have not found any downside. It is, in my tests, consistently as good as, and most often better than, the 83 for BD picture quality. As usual, the better the transfer the more likely you'll see this.

I think I have a handle on why this is the case, but that borders on implementation details I can't go into as a Beta tester.

All I can say is try it. Calibrate it properly and without preconception of which data format, for example, must be best, and I think you'll find the results quite delightful.

----------------------------

Upscaled SD-DVD playback isn't QUITE there yet, but I remain optimistic Oppo still has a few tricks up their sleeve in that regard. The next firmware or two may very well do it if I'm right.
--Bob

post #1181 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 PM

Hi all I just bought a 93 and well I am not pleased with it. I posted in the 93's sticky thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20064371

And I am considering just sending back the 93 and going to a 95 or a 93 Nuforce.
Bob Pariseau suggested I post my queries here.

Dave
post #1182 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:

It's very difficult to describe but this result is consistent with what I am seeing in Beta testing as well. The 93 (same video solution as the 95) produces better BD imaging than the 83.

It's vital to realize you need to set each up independently. Don't just assume it's best to copy your 83 setup to the 93. It MAY turn out that works, but don't assume it.

I find the 93 produces more natural looking images. I've tested it with my most demanding scenes and have not found any downside. It is, in my tests, consistently as good as, and most often better than, the 83 for BD picture quality. As usual, the better the transfer the more likely you'll see this.

I think I have a handle on why this is the case, but that borders on implementation details I can't go into as a Beta tester.

All I can say is try it. Calibrate it properly and without preconception of which data format, for example, must be best, and I think you'll find the results quite delightful.

----------------------------

Upscaled SD-DVD playback isn't QUITE there yet, but I remain optimistic Oppo still has a few tricks up their sleeve in that regard. The next firmware or two may very well do it if I'm right.
--Bob

To avoid confusion..

I think Bob was responding to a post I made..but somehow accidentally deleted.

Basically I questioned posts that make comments stating the BD video of the 95/93 outperforms the 83.
post #1183 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Yes, thanks for clarifying that.
--Bob

post #1184 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 07:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

The Manual for the 95 is available for download from Oppo's site.

The 95 provides an adjustable crossover, but the value you set applies to ALL speakers set to "Small". You can't set different crossover frequencies for different speakers. The Oppo allows you to set speakers to "Large" meaning no bass steering to the sub at all, or "Small" meaning bass is steered to the sub according to the crossover value you have selected. You could, for example set LF/RF to "Large" and the other speakers to "Small". Then with, say, an 80Hz crossover, the small speakers will pretty much do the bass steering you are doing now, and the full range of content will go to LF/RF with no bass steering whatsoever.
--Bob

Quote:

While you are in there, also check out the limitations on speaker distance adjustment. Simply put: No speaker can be set further away than LF/RF.

This is more of a problem than the bass management, and may be the thing that pushes you to an external solution.

--Bob

Bob,

I decided, I will set all speakers to large then use my Outlaw to ABM each individually. When I get my unit that is, eta is another 7 days via surface as I'm on the right not the wrong (err I mean left ) coast.

regarding

"No speaker can be set further away than LF/RF.

This is more of a problem than the bass management, and may be the thing that pushes you to an external solution.
"

How do I do that externally?

Thanks
post #1185 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturco View Post

Hi all I just bought a 93 and well I am not pleased with it. I posted in the 93's sticky thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20064371

And I am considering just sending back the 93 and going to a 95 or a 93 Nuforce.
Bob Pariseau suggested I post my queries here.

Dave

Dave, it's all subjective at this level, but I would say you're the one being to analytical Benchmarks are important because they can highlight flaws/weaknesses in design. However, I don't use them as the be all end all of a purchase decision. So even though the 93 and 95 have very similar audio specs, I recommend you try the 95. No, it's not a warm and fuzzy player, but the analog section was designed to complement analog equipment like yours (Arcam Av-9 processor, Bryston 4B sst, 6B sst, Dali Helicon 800 fronts, Dali CC5 center and Dali phantoms for the rears, Furman power conditioner). I found the 95 as musical and able to convey emotion as my other two players (Musical Fidelity NuVista 3DCD and an Oppo 83SE).

Should you go with the Nu Force 93 or the 95? Well, I've never heard the 93 or the 93NE, but my bias is to go with he product designed from the ground up for analog audio. The 93 was designed primarily for HDMI connections.

Assuming you can still return your 93 + $500 for a 95, that would be my recommendation. If it still doesn't work well in your system, then try the Nu Force or another brand with a warmer presentation (many like the Denon/Marantz house sound).

Styln
post #1186 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moglia View Post

regarding

"No speaker can be set further away than LF/RF.

"

How do I do that externally?

Thanks

Well in my case I would do that in my Anthem D2v, which re-digitizes analog input so that you can apply processing adjustments like this -- e.g., applying the relative signal delays necessary to correct for speaker distance differences.

These days, essentially all audio processing is done in the digital domain.

I imagine there are products that can also do this entirely within the analog domain, but I haven't looked into those myself.

Incorrect distance adjustment can make it harder to correctly position audio sources in the surround field. Some folks even use "false distance" on the subwoofer channel as a clever way for matching subwoofer phase to main speaker phase through the crossover frequencies. You can do this because bass frequencies are "non-localizable" -- they appear to come from all around you due to the entire room being pressurized -- so a deliberate distance error like this in the sub channel doesn't cause sounds to appear in the wrong place.
--Bob

post #1187 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 10:12 PM

Liked: 13
Bob, have been following your problems getting your sub levels right. I know just what you are talking about just having gone through resetting our system. Saw that you asked about a level check of the sub with and without the Center Speaker being ON or OFF. Just checked using the AIX BR Calibration Disc (thanks, to the "other" Bob) and found the levels of all 5 channels and the sub down 5 db using the 5.1 LPCM Ch. ID tracks with the Center set to OFF compared to being ON. However, the levels of all 5.1 speakers were the same.

On a side note maybe the "other" Bob knows what frequency is used on the AIX disc for checking the sub output. I ask this as I was using the RS meter which can have over 5 db error at and below 30 hz. So, for absolute levels I'm estimating but for the above comparison it does not make any difference. Good luck with your further "experiments". I am interested as you are helping me understand how hard it is to set up MC analog and MC digital with one and the same sub.

Under clear and cold Seattle skies, Gill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop View Post

More confused than ever now. The center on most definitely made a difference in the sub signal with Blu-ray, but now just checked with SACD and no difference center on or off. Same with CD and two channel out, redigitized by the Parasound (as expected - deep think start of Dark Side of the Moon) and through 5.1, bottom goes away.

So tomorrow morning when fresh I'll get out the flashlight and mirror and change out the sub out cable. But if that has no effect its almost square one again.

post #1188 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

The -5dB difference is presumably due to the down-mix with Center OFF. I.e., you need to attenuate the output so that adding Center into LF and RF doesn't clip the pre-amp inputs for LF/RF. And all channels are attenuated to keep things in balance between them.
--Bob

post #1189 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 11:36 PM

Liked: 11
Hi Guys,

Can't seem to get any sound when I select DSD mode on my oppo 95 for SACD through HDMI. I see my Yamaha DSP Z7 trying to complete the handshake but can't. The display on my AVR toggles between DSD and Analog. When I select LPCM, I have no issue getting multi channel sound.

Also I can get DSD in 2 channel mode. Tried with a couple of SACDs that are DSD. Any suggestions?

Tony
post #1190 of 11236 Old 02-25-2011, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhs View Post

Hi Guys,

Can't seem to get any sound when I select DSD mode on my oppo 95 for SACD through HDMI. I see my Yamaha DSP Z7 trying to complete the handshake but can't. The display on my AVR toggles between DSD and Analog. When I select LPCM, I have no issue getting multi channel sound.

Also I can get DSD in 2 channel mode. Tried with a couple of SACDs that are DSD. Any suggestions?

Tony

Bro
I don't think the Z7 can accept a DSD signal, which is why if the Oppo converts the signal you get sound. Most older amps don't.

DSD does work for stereo though.

My gear & my blog:

post #1191 of 11236 Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:

I totally agree. However, that does not seem to be what is happening. It would be great for someone to confirm by testing low freq with center turned off.

And if so, there is still a bit of an issue as the difference between analog and SPDIF is still a difference on low end, but nowhere's nearly as great as with center turned off.

And yes, LF / RF, LR and RR are all set to small.

Hi Bob ,

Do you have a bluray test disc ?, (Joe Kane hd test disc ).

It has test tones for each chan at diferent frequencies ,20hz and up etc , this I use to check bass redirection for all chan,s using 5.1 analog out with all speakers set to small and with subs .

My old pioneer worked (redirected bass correctly) then after 18mths a firmware upgrade no longer redirected bass at all below cross over frequency.
After 5mths and 2 further new firmware upgrades it was the same so I got a refund for my player as no bass at all with 4 large subs. .1 chan was 60db below other chan,s after later upgrades .

I am looking at this player but if bass management is not correct (which seems the case, in a non AVR use case .) it may not suit me .

Petetherock ,(any one else would be nice too ) can you try analog out .1 chan to analog pre (2 chan ) and see if you can set ref 75db on .1 chan .

In my system I can correct up to 30db on .1 chan so the correct -10db ,- 15db is no problem if done correctly.

Regards Victor.

Systems

post #1192 of 11236 Old 02-26-2011, 05:23 AM

Victor, Puget -

Thanks for the posts. I have maybe 4 test discs, but what I have to emphasize here that seems to be missed is that this is not a level balance problem. I have all that worked out once I started to understand the -10 or -15 level settings in the 95. It is a frequency problem. And it is real. This is not to say it is the 95 for sure, but it does seem to point that way. I would love to find out somehow it is a bad cable or setting, but its unlikely.

So, let's just look at the setup once more then a couple of examples. I'm sure I have posted this before, but to be sure - especially if someone can test something similar for me which will help to tell if it is firmware or perhaps the analog board on my 95.

I have the 95 connected to my Parasound proc with 5.1 analog out, SPDIF to another input on the proc and two channel analog RCA to yet another channel. This makes it very easy to A/B with just a switch.

I have no cennter channel, which is a totally other discussion. My system, has worked flawlessly with several other Universal Disc players, but it was time to go Blu-ray and higher quality analog audio, though my Denon was no slouch. So, in came the 95 and from early on, something wrong with the bottom end though my understanding of the problem has changed as I have learned more here and done further testing.

All front and surrounds set to small, even though they are good down to 40 or maybe lower. Crossover set to 80 to match the proc so that when I compare analog to digital they are set the same. I also heard no improvement setting to 60 on the 95. Center is set to off. Downmix set to 5.1.

All levels are balanced well both by ear and meter and using several sets of test signals from different discs. Same with the bass management on the proc. The overall levels are different with analog out being maybe 5 dB hotter than digital and I have not put the time to match them, but the speakers in each realm are well balanced among themselves. And volume or amplitude makes no difference to this issue. And as mentioned bu Puget if I recall, the Radio Shack meter is very inaccurate under 30 Hz and at 18 Hz, is actually about 16 dB in error. This has been compensated for.

Set up to play a Blu-ray or DVD with 5.1 inputs trailers. You all know them - they build up and end with extreme low end that has a bit of room shake and chest resonance. Or even a good looped scene from UP, or Star Wars or whatever creates that low end theater effect for you. Through 5.1 it is pleasant low bass, but no impact. Switch to SPDIF and room shake aand palpable bass is there. Not louder (as a matter of fact down about 5 dB) but more LOW frequency.

Now, if I turn on the center channel on the 95, even though no speaker is connected, there is a large hole in the center - almost like out of phase, but about half (how can I better quantify that without a real time analyzer?) of the missing low freq is back.

Next, put on Dark Side of the Moon. I have many versions and SACD and CD act a little differently.

You all know the opening "heartbeats".

With SACD, they sound like cardboard. It almost seems the low frequencies are doubling. Since SACD can only be played through the analog outs, I can only try turning the center channel on again. But now, no difference.

Take the CD. Now I am comparing the 5.1 outs into the proc pass throughs with the two channel RCA outs, into the proc where they are redigitized.

With 5.1, it again sounds weak and like cardboard, though just a touch better than SACD. Switch to the analog two channel by changing inputs on the proc and windows rattle from the low frequency that is there. Not amplitude - frequency. Solid.

Once again, turning center on makes no change.

So, the difference of having center on or off depends on the format I am listening to. Have not tried DVD-A, but could.

So, since nothing changes at all after the proc and that always worked fine with the Denon. and Parasound confirms no subsonic or high pass filter on the 5.1 pass throughs, I am left with either a bad cable on the .1 output (doubtful but possible and will test today) or a hardware or firmware problem with either my 95 or 95's in general.

I think many people do not hear this for a few reasons:

They have a center channel and its on.

They don't listen as critically as I do or to as many disc formats.

Their system may not be as revealing.

My unit is uniquely defective.

I wish someone here or from Oppo (12 miles away) could come by to hear this. In 3 minutes you would understand and at least I would have an ear witness. But I started life as a musician, sold recording studio equipment for 25 years and have a decent ear. It seems most suggest it is a level balance problem and it is not. It is missing frequency information at the lowest end or a possibility of those frequencies doubling. And since I can get most shiny discs to sound right using an alternate output (not SACD) it is not my related equipment unless I am missing something so obvious I have looked over, under and around it.

Anyone near Palo Alto care to come over? Or if anyone can try any of the tests above - it would be helpful.

~Bob
post #1193 of 11236 Old 02-26-2011, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Since Oppo is only 12 miles away, why don't you arrange to take your unit over there. They have test setups. I would give Oppo a call.

post #1194 of 11236 Old 02-26-2011, 06:03 AM

Been over several times with a wifi issue where it would not connect to my router (router incompatibility) and static on home burned CD's (Blu-ray laser more sensitive to high speed burns). But their "lab" has a small home theater in a box and I fear this may not be heard there. It might, but might not. And it is not easy to remove my equipment to truck on over. Racks are large and I cannot get behind them, so its Move the TV and a flashlight and mirror to plug in or out.

I will if and when nothing else works out. But last resort.

~Bob
post #1195 of 11236 Old 02-26-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Been over several times with a wifi issue where it would not connect to my router (router incompatibility) and static on home burned CD's (Blu-ray laser more sensitive to high speed burns). But their "lab" has a small home theater in a box and I fear this may not be heard there. It might, but might not. And it is not easy to remove my equipment to truck on over. Racks are large and I cannot get behind them, so its Move the TV and a flashlight and mirror to plug in or out.

That's too bad about all the problems you are having. Does Oppo has a list of routers with model #s that works with the 95?
post #1196 of 11236 Old 02-26-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Dave, it's all subjective at this level, but I would say you're the one being to analytical Benchmarks are important because they can highlight flaws/weaknesses in design.

Yes it certainly is. I should have ordered both, and the Marantz and did my own testing.

But from the articles available for research and the availability of the players and CASH on hand, that just wasn't practical.

I am almost positive I will be returning the 93 as it didn't WOW me. I have set the bar high as the Integra did just that. I brought it home put in my system and there it stayed. I was supposed to send it back to the store as it was their Demo, but I called them and said I was not bringing it back. It was the only piece of equipment I have ever done that with.

If that can happen again it will be very pleasing.

I am not being critical of the Sony because it was a test piece from the start to see if Blu-ray was all that it was being discussed as. It proved that Blu-ray was in fact the best P/Q and that the loss-less sound format was the next Best thing to the movie theater. The OPPO is supposed to be the end piece not the next stepping stone.

So perhaps auditioning the 95 is in order.

Dave
post #1197 of 11236 Old 02-26-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

That's too bad about all the problems you are having. Does Oppo has a list of routers with model #s that works with the 95?

They may. But if you want to talk about over and above, they went out and bought my router to test and verify the problem, then offered to trade me out for a router known to work. Amazing.

I solved it by buying another router and using it as an access point. Its a Netgear and worked from first try.

I have everything working perfectly now, except for this bass issue.

Sun just coming up. Will change out the cable when I can see clearly and eliminate that as a possibility. Or...

~Bob
post #1198 of 11236 Old 02-26-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Leave the center off and set all your speakers to large (disable bass management). Forget any frequency imbalance for now. Do you still hear a large missing LF difference via input mode?

Suspecting BM since it's newly enhanced in the 9x series.

Styln
post #1199 of 11236 Old 02-26-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:

They may. But if you want to talk about over and above, they went out and bought my router to test and verify the problem, then offered to trade me out for a router known to work. Amazing.

I solved it by buying another router and using it as an access point. Its a Netgear and worked from first try.

I have everything working perfectly now, except for this bass issue.

Sun just coming up. Will change out the cable when I can see clearly and eliminate that as a possibility. Or...

That's great service! I'll make a note of that since I'll be upgrading my router soon. Hope they fix that bass too.
post #1200 of 11236 Old 02-26-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturco View Post

Yes it certainly is. I should have ordered both, and the Marantz and did my own testing.

But from the articles available for research and the availability of the players and CASH on hand, that just wasn't practical.

I am almost positive I will be returning the 93 as it didn't WOW me. I have set the bar high as the Integra did just that. I brought it home put in my system and there it stayed. I was supposed to send it back to the store as it was their Demo, but I called them and said I was not bringing it back. It was the only piece of equipment I have ever done that with.

If that can happen again it will be very pleasing.

I am not being critical of the Sony because it was a test piece from the start to see if Blu-ray was all that it was being discussed as. It proved that Blu-ray was in fact the best P/Q and that the loss-less sound format was the next Best thing to the movie theater. The OPPO is supposed to be the end piece not the next stepping stone.

So perhaps auditioning the 95 is in order.

Dave

Definitely send the 93 back if it doesn't work in your system. And am certainly not faulting you for trying the 93 first - most of us try the least expensive option first - I certainly did when looking for a new MCH pre-amp... didn't work for me either

Just think the 95 has a better chance of integrating into your system. That said, your setup is highly revealing, so a less analytical player may provide a better system balance. Seems like you know what you are looking for and trust your ears. We don't get many 93 vs 95 comparisons so will be fun to read yours.

Styln
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page