Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #121 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I was going to wait until after work to play some more with my 95, but as you can imagine, took a long lunch instead

So, Blu-ray video and audio - more than acceptable. Very pleased.

SACD: At least as good as my Denon. Cannot directly compare, but no issues. Especially since I went back in a played a bit more with bass management. Hard with a Radio Shack meter which is notorious for inaccuracy. So sub set to 2 dB hotter than mains which is probably pretty close.

Two niggles:

If HDMI 1 is set to Video Only, as I have, you should not have to turn off the display to get DSD from analog outs. But with it on, it reverts to PCM. Would love to see that one fixed.

Second, seems there is no indication of bit rate. Cannot tell if I am 24/96 or 24/192.

Have not yet listened to more CD's. If anything, this may be the let down for me, but may not be. Will know more soon.

Have not listened to Blu-ray Audio - discs arrive tomorrow.

Same for DVD-A and music from USB. Lots more to test out.

But in general, becoming very pleased the more I have it dialed in.

Bigger problem:

I cannot connect to my wireless network. Signal strength is good, but always fails. Tried every possible option and no go. Yet my iPhone, Laptops, etc all connect easily whether set to WPA or WPA2.

Anyone else have this issue? I have email into Oppo on it.

And last, since I d din;t see a reply, does anyone know where that list of tricks and tips for at least the 93 and 95 (maybe even included 83) is? I KNOW I saw it, but no amount of searching gets me back to it now.

Thanks.

~Bob

~Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop View Post

And last, since I d din;t see a reply, does anyone know where that list of tricks and tips for at least the 93 and 95 (maybe even included 83) is? I KNOW I saw it, but no amount of searching gets me back to it now.

This list from the BDP-83 FAQ is still relevant: Are there any hidden features?

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #123 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Liked: 12
The OPPO 95 arrived earlier this morning and I have installed it in my main 2 ch stereo system. The system also includes a Marantz SA11s2 and an Accuphase DD75. Amp is Krell. Speakers are Dali Euphonia MS5. They are installed several feet from the wall with separation per Dali recommendation.

I have started a few comparison tests after first listening to a number of types of music on CDs, HDCDs, DTS CD, and SACDs. For the first detailed comparison I have chosen Neil Young Massey Hall 1972. It is a live recording from that year but a very good recording. Disc is Reprise 43327-2. For starters I have zeroed in on Track 3.

First of all, the sound is very different when the three players are compared. The Marantz and Accuphase are more similar but the OPPO is quite different.

The Marantz and Accuphase (when compared to the 95) give a much warmer and fuller sound. The soundstage is deeper and broader with more reverb to the guitar strings and more fullness to Neil Young's voice. One feels like they are in the room. On the other hand, the OPPO sound seemed thinner and more analytical but very clear. One does not feel that the music source is near. Again, the OPPO has not settled in and I need to double check all settings. Also, the OPPO is the only one of the three that decodes HDCD. On my first listen of choral music (two different discs) I detected a certain harshness with the OPPO. I did not detect this with the Neil Young.

My initial preference after about five rounds of comparisons of the Neil Young trac was the Marantz but by a close call over the Accuphase..

Next step is to select a choral disc, symphonic disc, female vocal and a violin solo to compare.

This is very quick first impression of one disc as my full comparison will likely take weeks rather than days.

If anyone out there is doing their own comparison and has the Neil Young disc your comments will be very interesting.
post #124 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:

OK, I was going to wait until after work to play some more with my 95, but as you can imagine, took a long lunch instead

So, Blu-ray video and audio - more than acceptable. Very pleased.

SACD: At least as good as my Denon. Cannot directly compare, but no issues. Especially since I went back in a played a bit more with bass management. Hard with a Radio Shack meter which is notorious for inaccuracy. So sub set to 2 dB hotter than mains which is probably pretty close.

Two niggles:

If HDMI 1 is set to Video Only, as I have, you should not have to turn off the display to get DSD from analog outs. But with it on, it reverts to PCM. Would love to see that one fixed.

Second, seems there is no indication of bit rate. Cannot tell if I am 24/96 or 24/192.

Have not yet listened to more CD's. If anything, this may be the let down for me, but may not be. Will know more soon.

Have not listened to Blu-ray Audio - discs arrive tomorrow.

Same for DVD-A and music from USB. Lots more to test out.

But in general, becoming very pleased the more I have it dialed in.

Bigger problem:

I cannot connect to my wireless network. Signal strength is good, but always fails. Tried every possible option and no go. Yet my iPhone, Laptops, etc all connect easily whether set to WPA or WPA2.

Anyone else have this issue? I have email into Oppo on it.

Thanks.

~Bob

The limitation on DSD is a safety feature. Apparently Oppo is worried that a burst of DSD might be sent inappropriately in the course of subsequent HDMI handshakes. From a purely user friendliness point of view I would agree with you, and Oppo is aware. I think it may not be possible with complete safety.

On the wireless, remember that the name and password are case sensitive.

Also check that your router is not set to limit to just a few connecting devices, or to specific devices by their hardware (MAC) ID. See Connection Info for the MAC ID of your player if you need it.

Oppo can walk you through this if you give them a call.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #125 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 01:15 PM

I doubt if this is the problem, but I encountered a wireless login issue with another piece of electronics where my router was expecting the password to be entered via hexadecimal characters. I changed a setting in my router to accept regular text, and then everything worked fine. Just something to check out.
post #126 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

This list from the BDP-83 FAQ is still relevant: Are there any hidden features?

-Bill

Thanks Bill. Exactly what I was looking for.

~Bob

~Bob
post #127 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The limitation on DSD is a safety feature. Apparently Oppo is worried that a burst of DSD might be sent inappropriately in the course of subsequent HDMI handshakes. From a purely user friendliness point of view I would agree with you, and Oppo is aware. I think it may not be possible with complete safety.

On the wireless, remember that the name and password are case sensitive.

Also check that your router is not set to limit to just a few connecting devices, or to specific devices by their hardware (MAC) ID. See Connection Info for the MAC ID of your player if you need it.

Oppo can walk you through this if you give them a call.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. I did check and have 10 open DHCP connections. Even rebooted the router.

Oppo should not have to walk me through this. I do it quite often and no other device has ever failed consistently as the Oppo.

I'll see if adding the mac address to my router helps, but never ever needed before.

~Bob

~Bob
post #128 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Thanks Bob. I did check and have 10 open DHCP connections. Even rebooted the router.

Oppo should not have to walk me through this. I do it quite often and no other device has ever failed consistently as the Oppo.

I'll see if adding the mac address to my router helps, but never ever needed before.

~Bob

OK, one other point: The Oppo needs a 2.4GHz wifi base station. If you are running a dual mode (2.4 and 5 GHz) base station, the name or password for the 2.4GHz side might be different than you are used to using. For example, Apple's dual mode Airport setup lets you set them to be different.
--Bob

post #129 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 01:50 PM

Is there anyone out there who can help me get the most out of my Susano? I am receiving a new OPPO 95 blue ray player a 50 inch Kuro and have B & W speakers, but don't have the ability to set this all up right. Can anyone help? I find that music listening gives me the break I need after being at the rectory of my church. Any help in MI would be appreciated. Anyone who understands how this all comes together - please help!! I live near Detroit MI.

Bob Shafer
post #130 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 01:53 PM

I tried a Blu-Ray Audio only disc and it failed to play in the OPPO 95. It loads and goes to the Top Menu position (after copy warning) but then goes immediately into PAUSE mode. I can't find any way to get out of PAUSE. The same thing happened with this disc on the OPPO 93. The disc functions fine on the OPPO 83 and in Samsung and Sony players I have tried. Disc is NAXOS NBD0008 - Corigliano - Circus Maximus. Does anyone out there have a DVD Audio disc that they can try. I don't think that many titles have been released.

I contacted OPPO and they requested that I send the disc to them for evaluation.

UPDATE: I found one other Blu-Ray Audio disc in my collection. It functions fine on all three OPPO players. It is DIVERTIMENTI The package contains both a Blu-Ray Audio and a separate SACD disc.
post #131 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mathus View Post

I tried a Blu-Ray Audio only disc and it failed to play in the OPPO 95. It loads and goes to the Top Menu position (after copy warning) but then goes immediately into PAUSE mode. I can't find any way to get out of PAUSE. The same thing happened with this disc on the OPPO 93. The disc functions fine on the OPPO 83 and in Samsung and Sony players I have tried. Disc is NAXOS NBD0008 - Corigliano - Circus Maximus. Does anyone out there have a DVD Audio disc that they can try. I don't think that many titles have been released.

I contacted OPPO and they requested that I send the disc to them for evaluation.

I think you meant "audio only" Blu-ray in your last question, rather than DVD-Audio.

The 2L audio only Blu-ray discs seem to play without problem.

I've also played the Acoustic Reality "Vivaldi: The Four Seasons" which is actually an AVCHD format of audio only Blu-ray.
--Bob

post #132 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:

I think you meant "audio only" Blu-ray in your last question, rather than DVD-Audio.

I've also played the Acoustic Reality "Vivaldi: The Four Seasons" which is actually an AVCHD format of audio only Blu-ray.
--Bob

The NAXOS disc is not marked 2L audio but appears to have same menu (as viewed on the 83) as another disc I have marked 2L. The disc marked 2L plays without a problem. The NAXOS disc is described on package as "HI-DEF AUDIO" and was produced in Germany. Disc is marked 24-bit 88.2 kHz with options of PCM Stereo 2.0 or DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1.
post #133 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 02:14 PM

First clue on the Network issue. My router will not accept the Oppo wireless MAC addres. Says it is invalid. I tried with and without the dashes and upper and lower case. No go.

Something is amiss.

~Bob

~Bob
post #134 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

The OPPO 95 arrived earlier this morning and I have installed it in my main 2 ch stereo system. The system also includes a Marantz SA11s2 and an Accuphase DD75. Amp is Krell. Speakers are Dali Euphonia MS5. They are installed several feet from the wall with separation per Dali recommendation.

I have started a few comparison tests after first listening to a number of types of music on CDs, HDCDs, DTS CD, and SACDs. For the first detailed comparison I have chosen Neil Young Massey Hall 1972. It is a live recording from that year but a very good recording. Disc is Reprise 43327-2. For starters I have zeroed in on Track 3.

First of all, the sound is very different when the three players are compared. The Marantz and Accuphase are more similar but the OPPO is quite different.

The Marantz and Accuphase (when compared to the 95) give a much warmer and fuller sound. The soundstage is deeper and broader with more reverb to the guitar strings and more fullness to Neil Young's voice. One feels like they are in the room. On the other hand, the OPPO sound seemed thinner and more analytical but very clear. One does not feel that the music source is near. Again, the OPPO has not settled in and I need to double check all settings. Also, the OPPO is the only one of the three that decodes HDCD. On my first listen of choral music (two different discs) I detected a certain harshness with the OPPO. I did not detect this with the Neil Young.

My initial preference after about five rounds of comparisons of the Neil Young trac was the Marantz but by a close call over the Accuphase..

Next step is to select a choral disc, symphonic disc, female vocal and a violin solo to compare.

This is very quick first impression of one disc as my full comparison will likely take weeks rather than days.

If anyone out there is doing their own comparison and has the Neil Young disc your comments will be very interesting.

Not the most encouraging first imprerssion. Hopefully gets better with a bit of a break in.

Keep posting your results.
post #135 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I've also played the Acoustic Reality "Vivaldi: The Four Seasons" which is actually an AVCHD format of audio only Blu-ray

are the "2L audio-only BluRay" disc's equivalent to "Blu-Spec"?
post #136 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 02:54 PM

So far the the 95 has been bested by a Marantz, Accuphase, and a Denon. Sounds pretty much like a 83se. Accurate assessment or apples and oranges?
post #137 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Actually, I have tried several ways. The big level difference came from internal tones. This is indeed 15 dB below what I expected and I compensated for it.

Using WOW, the sub is 3-6dB hot. But I think that is DTS audio and for some reason I recall DTS sub levels as hotter than Dolby.

The third was in using stereo outs to my processor which then, as it appears, redigitizes and uses its own bass management and has internal tones. This seems to be the most correct level matching of any and the sub blends well with 2 or 5 channel audio, but is also the least used method of playback for me.

~Bob

Hi Bob,

I am not sure if you are using multi chan analog out ? but if you are use test disc in player (jpk bluray etc ) to set levels for chan,s .If using digital out then pre/pro ,avr can be ok .As has been said analog out with BM should be 10db,15db down with all small speakers setting.Oppo had stated that this player will do Bass Management correctly on analog outs.(I hope this is true )

I am looking at getting this player for my main multi chan system I use analog out only in a pure analog system (vol control ) , with mono block amps all round and only have vol control on .1 chan which if only down 10db or 15db(ie correct) is no problem.

It would be nice if anyone would test .1 chan using a 2 chan pre (not an AVR or pre/pro ),use test tones from player .1 and see if they can set ref ie 75db measured with db meter at main seat in HT.

I had a pioneer 05 ,which orignally did work in my system then after a firmware upgrade it no longer did BM correctly,with 80hz crossover setting did not redirect bass under 80hz from all chans,it was lost (ie none or 60db done measured ) and that it not correctable.So player was returned and refunded after 2 yrs.

Thankyou for any feedback on this issue .
Regards Victor.

Systems

post #138 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

So far the the 95 has been bested by a Marantz, Accuphase, and a Denon. Sounds pretty much like a 83se. Accurate assessment or apples and oranges?

My gosh, I think that may be a new meet record for the conclusion jump! We'll make a quick check with our statistician.
--Bob

post #139 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

are the "2L audio-only BluRay" disc's equivalent to "Blu-Spec"?

Don't know. There might be info on their web site.
--Bob

post #140 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

Quote:

My gosh, I think that may be a new meet record for the conclusion jump! We'll make a quick check with our statistician

hee hee

The Marantz SA-11S2 is quite a unit in itself, so I'm not totally surprised here:
http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplay...sacdcd_player/

But I believe the other user said he thought the BDP-95 may have been "as good as his Denon". They'll be a lot more to come
post #141 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Any of you early pre-owners compare it yet with Pioneer flagship, BDP-09?

Steve
post #142 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 04:02 PM

OK, exhausted all network possibilities with Oppo through email. Going to take my dongle over there and test with one of their units. Maybe its a bad dongle?

Next, DVD-A definitely sound superb. Better than the Denon

More testing to be done....

~Bob

~Bob
post #143 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Maybe it's asking a bit too much to ask to compare it with a dedicated high-end unit like the SA-11S2.

As well as the Pio, am interested in how it compares to the flagship universal players from Denon and Marantz. Any of the early adopters in the process of doing this?

The 95 will be my first venture into the Oppo world.

(Have enjoyed reading the threads on AVS for a while, but this is my virgin post!)
post #144 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, exhausted all network possibilities with Oppo through email. Going to take my dongle over there and test with one of their units. Maybe its a bad dongle?

~Bob

Which Denon are you comparing with?

Couldn't find any mention of a model number elsewhere in this thread.
post #145 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I cannot connect to my wireless network. Signal strength is good, but always fails.

IMHO, could it relate to the password input? after inputing the password, should select the "enter" key on the softpad or simply hit the BLUE button on the remote to continue to the next step, DO NOT press the ENTER button.
post #146 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

~Bob

Bob:

It would help other readers like myself to get an objective assessment if we knew which model you are referring to?

I don't expect the 95 to beat a $2000 dedicated CD player, but getting close will be nice and I don't expect it to be the next best thing to sliced bread...

I hope to get the 95 in the first wave of open release and put it through its paces with my other Oppos and borrow a CD player from some friends.

My gear & my blog:

post #147 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 06:06 PM

When playing the new Blu-Ray of LET ME IN I encountered a hangup when playing the trailers then expecting TOP MENU to appear. TOP MENU showed on front panel but no menu on screen and no buttons on remote or panel would give anything except a red X in upper left corner. Disc would eject, however. I first encountered this on the OPPO 93. The OPPO 95 gives same response. There is a work around. Let the trailers start then hit TOP MENU and a functioning menu will appear. This problem is repeatable on both players.

Menu loaded normally after trailers in a Samsung player I have in another system.
post #148 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 PM

Just hooked up my 95 and no sound seems to be sent through the analog surround channels. Maybe I screwed up some setting. Any Ideas? Also some menu items seem to be disabled like HDCD. Any help would be great. I do have it set to down mix to 5.1 but I am using the correct outputs. The receivers inputs work fine.

TIA,
Joe
post #149 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer_Joe View Post

Just hooked up my 95 and no sound seems to be sent through the analog surround channels. Maybe I screwed up some setting. Any Ideas? Also some menu items seem to be disabled like HDCD. Any help would be great. I do have it set to down mix to 5.1 but I am using the correct outputs. The receivers inputs work fine.

TIA,
Joe

Some menu items will be grayed out while content is playing. Others, while a disc is loaded.

Are you sure you were playing 5.1 or 7.1 content when you had no surround sound? The player will not raise 2.0 content to 5.1 or 7.1 output. I.e., it has no Surround Sound processing like PLIIx. You need to do that in your AVR.

You can use the built in Analog Speaker Configuration Test Tones to check your analog outputs.
--Bob

post #150 of 11236 Old 02-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

When playing the new Blu-Ray of LET ME IN I encountered a hangup when playing the trailers then expecting TOP MENU to appear. TOP MENU showed on front panel but no menu on screen and no buttons on remote or panel would give anything except a red X in upper left corner. Disc would eject, however. I first encountered this on the OPPO 93. The OPPO 95 gives same response. There is a work around. Let the trailers start then hit TOP MENU and a functioning menu will appear. This problem is repeatable on both players.

Menu loaded normally after trailers in a Samsung player I have in another system.

It is possible that this is a disc that tries to load additional preview content from the network if BD-Live is enabled. Perhaps one of the other Beta testers has this disc and can check.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page