Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #181 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WOW...7 pages...and still no pictures! C'mon....fellas.......post some excellent photos of the unit...front, back, innards................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderslober View Post

WOW...7 pages...and still no pictures! C'mon....fellas.......post some excellent photos of the unit...front, back, innards................

There WAS a link to some pretty stellar pictures a couple of pages ago.

It's kinda funny...Most people use their television as a means to watch their favorite programming; I use my favorite programming as a means to watch my television.
post #183 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here's the link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

So much going on this week, I don't recall if this has been posted already, but here's a set of photos of the BDP-95 somebody just put up on FLICKR (the first photo is actually the front panel view from Oppo's web site):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5890957...7625834426843/

See the 95 enjoying a fine wine. Then get ready for some real excitement as the lid comes off...
--Bob

It's kinda funny...Most people use their television as a means to watch their favorite programming; I use my favorite programming as a means to watch my television.
post #184 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
It's day #4 and I haven't seen too many smiling reviews yet. Are y'all unable to pull yerselves away due to the awesomeness of this player? I'm really interested in getting some feedback on the multi-channel outs as they relate to bluray movies. This is one of the areas of improvement that might sway me towards the "dark side" as my wife would say.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #185 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

It's day #4 and I haven't seen too many smiling reviews yet. Are y'all unable to pull yerselves away due to the awesomeness of this player? I'm really interested in getting some feedback on the multi-channel outs as they relate to bluray movies. This is one of the areas of improvement that might sway me towards the "dark side" as my wife would say.

I hope the thin sound doesn't translate into the bluray side of things using analogs, because that is the main reason why I pulled the trigger

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #186 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 AM

Hey Geickel...thanks for that. Looks great.........
post #187 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop View Post

OK, last post of the night before I pack it in for today.

I know my processor is a passthrough for 5.1 but was unsure if the the stereo inputs were analog passthrough as well. Evidently they are not which is why I am hearing such a difference between the 5.1 and stereo outs of the Oppo. I am using two different bass management systems. Both are sounding good, though. But different. At the moment maybe not a fair comparison since I could easily have the two systems set a bit different.

So before anyone makes a judgment call based on my comments, remember I can still not have everything set optimally and my impressions may not yet be based on the best this player can do. Its a work in progress for me and I am beginning to get results, but not dialed in yet.

Now, I also have the Oppo set for downmixing to 5.1. I would hate to have to go through the menu structure to change that to two channel before playing a two channel disc, but would that have a major effect on the sound when listening to analog from the 5.1 outs? I have not tried it yet, but there may be a difference with those settings as well.

Last, I swore I saw a list of tips - could have been for the 93, but included things like how to bypass the opening "coming attractions" and go right to chapter one and the like. Though one or two were worth remembering and now cannot find it. Pointer appreciated. I do think it was on these forums and maybe even in someone's sig?

~Bob

Thanks for the post, and please keep the info coming... but I want to point out that the lack of a pass through will colour the 95 output.

Oppo BDP-95
Bryston 3B-ST 2ch on mains
Lexicon 512 5ch
PSB Stratus Gold mains
PSB C6i center
Rythmik FV15HP
Paradigm ADP-370 surrounds
cheap energy rear speakers
post #188 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Agree, the new FW sounds quite nice on the SE. And MCH system setup on SACD now completes w/o lock-up/reboot. Better streaming support that accommodates higher sample rates (still no 24 bit). An overall improvement for a very fine sounding player: SACD & streaming now together in one release

Thanks Oppo,

Styln

So, with the new firmware, what are you hearing for improvements in sound? MCH analog? 2CH analog? Am I missing something?

I would appreciate any info! Thanks.
post #189 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 AM

Liked: 14
I really hope it's a matter of break-in, I don't want to replace my Denon 3910 (nice sound, though it lacks some warmth) by a thin and cold sounding Oppo
So while I'm still waiting for even the release date and price of the 95EU (Oppo EU seems to be hibernating), please keep the reviews coming !

Meanwhile, I am wondering how the 93 NuForce would compare with the 95 for analog sound, since NuForce explicitly claims they use "High performance op-amps for a warm, vibrant, seductive sound"

I guess nobody had a chance to listen to the 93NuForce yet ? Are they already on sale BTW ?
post #190 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 09:07 AM

Liked: 13
I am confused now on how to hook this unit up and any help would be great. I want to hook the 95 just up to my 2 channel rotel RA-1052, but i also have a sub that i woiuld like to use. So do I use the multichannel for the LT/RT and sub? if so what setting do i use on the setup do I use that i still get the high res audio coming out. is there a 2.1 option on the 95?

THANKS for anyones help
post #191 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 09:28 AM
jfz

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

I don't think Oppo should try to defend every negative opinions of their new player.
I also admire Rebop for being honest about the sound. Anyway I am not expecting the 95 to kill CD players costing more. There are enough of such "My Oppo kills a CD player costing 10-20 times more" opinions, which tend to stretch the truth...

I was not saying or suggesting Oppo "should try to defend...". I'm not sure how you got that out of what I said, but I was simply saying that I was concerned that Oppo didn't *seem* to know that break-in can be a factor that makes virtually all high-end equipment sound better after hours of use. Or that, if they were aware of this, they didn't say something along the lines of "you may want to wait until you have x number of hours on it before forming a final opinion on the sound". It *seems* to me that might have been helpful to Rebop in the end. That's all. (I emphasized "seem" here because I wasn't there during the conversation)

For what it's worth, I appreciate Rebop for being honest about the sound too. And I hope he and others will continue to be! I am also not expecting the 95 to kill CD players costing more.
post #192 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

how are you connecting Benchmark DAC here? digital coax-OUT from BDP-95 into DAC1 HDR, then DAC1 HDR XLR/RCA OUT's into pre-pro?

Coax digital out from the BDP-95 into DAC1 HDR, then DAC1 HDR XLR outs to Jeff Rowland Concerto integrated amp, then Dali Helicon 400mk2 floor-stand speakers. This sounds better than going BDP-95 XLR outs to the Jeff Rowland. I tried it with a number of reference CDs as well as Dolby Digital material (converted to two-channels).
post #193 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post

Coax digital out from the BDP-95 into DAC1 HDR, then DAC1 HDR XLR outs to Jeff Rowland Concerto integrated amp, then Dali Helicon 400mk2 floor-stand speakers. This sounds better than going BDP-95 XLR outs to the Jeff Rowland. I tried it with a number of reference CDs as well as Dolby Digital material (converted to two-channels).

By the way, the difference in sound quality between the DAC1 HDR and the BDP-95 is more significant than the difference between the SA-7S1 and the DAC1 HDR. I have to listen to some fairly minute difference to distinguish between the Marantz and the Benchmark, but the difference between the Benchmark and the Oppo is not minute. Still, The Oppo has a very good and enjoyable sound.
post #194 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys View Post

I really hope it's a matter of break-in, I don't want to replace my Denon 3910 (nice sound, though it lacks some warmth) by a thin and cold sounding Oppo
So while I'm still waiting for even the release date and price of the 95EU (Oppo EU seems to be hibernating), please keep the reviews coming !

Meanwhile, I am wondering how the 93 NuForce would compare with the 95 for analog sound, since NuForce explicitly claims they use "High performance op-amps for a warm, vibrant, seductive sound"

I guess nobody had a chance to listen to the 93NuForce yet ? Are they already on sale BTW ?

Good question
post #195 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Just a real quick note/first impression - then I'm headin' back.

This is a big improvement over the 83 - I'm just listening to the 2 channel dedicated analog for now. CD is "The Ultimate Demonstration Disc" from Chesky. It's so obvious now - easy to tell exactly what they are trying to demonstrate with each cut. The shaker on "Spanish Harlem", the snaps and chorus on "Grangma's Hands". I thought it was before, but I was wrong.

To those who say that the Denon/Marantz/Accuphase/Benchmark is better, I can only envy you in that it sounds even better. This is the best my system has ever sounded. No hint of digital glare. Closest to analog I've had in a long time. I just want to sit and listen - which is what I am going to go do.

I'll switch to other stuff later. I did put on Dave Mathews and Tim Reynolds BD for a minute before I went to 2 channel to make sure everything is working correctly (all audio is through analog). I can't be as certain yet, but easier to distinguish to differences in DM's "unique" singing techniques. Picture? I have not played any of the setup discs, which would probably be the only way to definitely tell on my setup.

Happy camper at this point.
post #196 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm not sure about break-in, but the BDP-95 does sound more analytical than what I'm used to, but I usually prefer a warmer sound (euphony vs. accuracy). However, the clarity and perspective it provides is startling, even compared to the DAC1 HDR which was previously my "window into the recording." The BDP-83 is warmer and more forgiving, but when I move to the 95 I can hear more of the recording (the room, the ambiance). If one's system is already bright or "cold" I can see why they may not prefer the BDP-95, but even in my headphone rig (FirtstWatt F1/AKG K1000, which is notoriously lean) I prefer the BDP-95 to any other source I own. I don't have any mega-buck Accuphase or dCS sources lying around so perhaps in different company I would feel differently. For a headphone system I can't think of a better source for under a grand - I don't have to deal with room acoustics or re-digitization for the purposes of DSP room correction when using cans. I am a believer in break-in, but I think it's a combination of our mind acclimating to a new sound signature as much as the electronics (there is still an element of placebo, IMO - except for transducers - break-in can be measured in that regard). I'm enjoying my Blu-ray, SACD and DVD-Audio collection - I just wish there were more hours in the day. I think in a couple weeks we'll all be happier.

Sources:
Benchmark DAC1 HDR
Onix Audio XCD 88 w/OPA627 op-amp upgrade
Oppo DV-980H
Oppo BDP-83
Oppo BDP-95
Various RME & E-MU studio soundcards

Preamplifiers:
Parasound JC2 BP
Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE

Amplifiers:
Beta22 balanced headphone amplifier
Emotiva XPA-1 Monoblocks
Pass Labs Aleph 30
Pass Labs FirstWatt F1

Transducers:
AKG K1000 "earspeaker" headphones
HiFiMAN HE-6 orthodynamic headphones
Sennheiser HD800 balanced headphones
Thiel CS2.3 speakers

Cables:
Quality Belden cabling made by BlueJeansCable
14AWG shielded power cables (homemade)

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

post #197 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfz View Post

I was not saying or suggesting Oppo "should try to defend...". I'm not sure how you got that out of what I said, but I was simply saying that I was concerned that Oppo didn't *seem* to know that break-in can be a factor that makes virtually all high-end equipment sound better after hours of use.

For electronics, I am of the opinion that it is easier for the human to break-in than the transformers and DACs

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #198 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys View Post

It could be break-in. Will know more in a week or so. Its possible.

Again, just to not be misinterpreted, the Blu-ray VIDEOS audio sounds fine. DVD-A is great. SACD very good. CD, not so much, but it is also going through a redigitizing stage on my proc. Blu-ray AUDIO only discs also are not what I had hoped, but it could be the discs since these are brand new and I have no frame of reference.

Will definitely be doing more tests, but for now concentrating on getting the wireless networking to work - which has me baffled.

~Bob

~Bob
post #199 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

However, the clarity and perspective it provides is startling, even compared to the DAC1 HDR which was previously my "window into the recording."

Interesting - my experience is the opposite. I find the sound of the DAC1 HDR to be clearer, more forward, transparent and revealing. The difference isn't subtle to my ears. No complaints about the BDP-95 - it's amazing value for the money and I'm very happy with it as an excellent Blu-ray player with a very good internal DAC.
post #200 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Only true if you wanted to use FAT. Not true for anyone who is seriously using external HDD backups, as they will be using NTFS (universally supported by all major operating systems. For Mac use Paragon's NTFS for Mac or NTFS-3G).

No need for the colors, the bold, or the font size. We are capable of reading an entire post without guideposts/markers.

Is this from your FLAC media or another format?

Do you have a file that we can download to replicate your errors?

If you use a different interface, such as digital coaxial/optical or HDMI, do you hear the same noises?
It happens every time the resolution change! with Blu Ray discs
post #201 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
It happens every time the resolution change! with Blu Ray discs
Are you talking about the relay clicks in the 95? That's the audio muting and unmuting. It will happen if you do a manual mute. It will also happen when the audio is automatically muted during HDMI handshakes -- as for example when the resolution changes.

The relays are used instead of transistors for improved analog audio output quality.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #202 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 12:06 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Are you talking about the relay clicks in the 95? That's the audio muting and unmuting. It will happen if you do a manual mute. It will also happen when the audio is automatically muted during HDMI handshakes -- as for example when the resolution changes.

The relays are used instead of transistors for improved analog audio output quality.
--Bob
"The relays are used instead of transistors for improved analog audio output quality." What does that mean? I am not a tech guy just loves music

Yes HDMi handshakes! why does it mute the audio?
post #203 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
thanks for your input. This is the kind of basic detailed input I wish everyone would provide when describing their set-up(s), provides a better illustration

Quote:
By the way, the difference in sound quality between the DAC1 HDR and the BDP-95 is more significant than the difference between the SA-7S1 and the DAC1 HDR. I have to listen to some fairly minute difference to distinguish between the Marantz and the Benchmark, but the difference between the Benchmark and the Oppo is not minute. Still, The Oppo has a very good and enjoyable sound.
I see, the SA-7S1 and the DAC1 HDR are closer in sound-quality, while the BDP-95 vs DAC1 HDR are more easily distinguishable.
post #204 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop View Post

Again, just to not be misinterpreted, the Blu-ray VIDEOS audio sounds fine. DVD-A is great. SACD very good. CD, not so much, but it is also going through a redigitizing stage on my proc. Blu-ray AUDIO only discs also are not what I had hoped, but it could be the discs since these are brand new and I have no frame of reference.

Will definitely be doing more tests, but for now concentrating on getting the wireless networking to work - which has me baffled.

~Bob
I'll be interested in your opinion of the redbook performance after you've given the 95 some more time to burn. I've been using a Denon 3830 for quite awhile. I bought an 83SE last year but returned it since, to my ears, the Denon was the better CDP. The Denon was more involving, refined and musical. The Oppo was more analytical and did "not draw me in" as they say. One obvious and repeatable clue was the decay. Denon was definitely smoother, more extended and natural. The Oppo did get better after a week or so but never got me to "Ah". I have the itch for a 95 but only if its 2 channel audio bests the Denon.

As reference, my system is really 2 systems (dedicated 2 channel + 5.1) where for the most part, only the speakers are common. My comments above were based on the following chain: Source (Denon / Oppo) -> Anthem Pre 2LSE (modified) -> Rogue M150's -> Magnepan 1.6's (with custom external crossovers).... pretty much a modern implementation of old school anaolgue.
post #205 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop

~Bob
Bob did you try going on line directly from the oppo? I think your unit may have a defective modem.
post #206 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
"The relays are used instead of transistors for improved analog audio output quality." What does that mean? I am not a tech guy just loves music

Yes HDMi handshakes! why does it mute the audio?
That's just the way HDMI works. The audio stream has to stop and restart, and you need to mute things so that happens cleanly.

The relays provide a mechanical disconnect so it's one less electronic step for the audio to pass through.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #207 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 01:00 PM

got an email reply from bluraychip.dk today. Chip should be ready to sell last week of Feb.
Installing the kit will require to remove the analogue output pcb, installing the kit and then reset the analogue output pcb again. Price is not set, but estimated around USD 110.
post #208 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post
Bob did you try going on line directly from the oppo? I think your unit may have a defective modem.
Do you mean wired Ethernet? If so, no. I don't have a cat 5 cable long enough. Need about 50 feet or so.

~Bob

~Bob
post #209 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Johnson View Post
I'll be interested in your opinion of the redbook performance after you've given the 95 some more time to burn. I've been using a Denon 3930CI for quite awhile. I bought an 83SE last year but returned it since, to my ears, the Denon was the better CDP. The Denon was more involving, refined and musical. The Oppo was more analytical and did "not draw me in" as they say. One obvious and repeatable clue was the decay. Denon was definitely smoother, more extended and natural. The Oppo did get better after a week or so but never got me to "Ah". I have the itch for a 95 but only if its 2 channel audio bests the Denon
thanks, precisely how I feel. And your right, the Denon [is] more refined and natural sounding. But I really want to just get the BDP-95 and hear, or prove it, for myself, I'm very curious to compare 2ch analog OUT.

I'm using a more conventional HT/AV system: NAD T175 processor; Parasound A51 amp (250W X 5); Monitor Audio GS-Series speakers (GS60 fronts, GSLCR center); Pioneer BDP-05FD player (SD-DVD, BD, CD sources); Denon DVD-3930CI player (SACD, DVD-A, CD sources); Denon DVD-3800BDCI (SD-DVD, BD, CD sources); Pioneer PDP-4680HD Kuro display.

I just purchased the Marantz AV7005 pre-pro. Waiting to get BDP-95 (maybe). Then physically re-configure my system. I was hoping to replace the Denon DVD-3930CI with the BDP-95 as a "music" player, but I'm not sure yet? Wanting better 2ch/5.1ch analog OUT for music mostly. I use HDMI (w/Audyssey) for movies, very happy.

The NAD yields pretty good (not bad) 2ch/5.1ch OUT. But I've been contemplating adding HT-bypass piece to the chain (ie. Parasound P7, etc.,..), or a DAC (BenchMark DAC1 HDR).
post #210 of 11259 Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 PM

Liked: 12
Regarding wireless........got auto connect on first try last November with the OPPO 93 and same no problem connection this week with the OPPO 95. I am using Actiontec Model PK 5000 modem with built in WiFi. The connection has been very stable with no needs to re-connect.I purchased at Best-Buy and self installed. Accepted my alpha/numeric password with modem right out of the box without any setting changes.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page