Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #2551 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
^ Check out the Bench Test results on the 95 at Secrets of Home Theater for comparison. it will be interesting to see how close you come to their results.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post
My point was that perhaps there was something I was doing wrong or there was a display option in the Oppo that I was unaware of.

Also, care to elaborate on the display alternative? Any recommendations of brand and model? Something small and unobtrusive. I never tried that before, so any info would be welcomed.
Any small portable LCD TV as long as it has a video input. Sales prices range from $50-100. Screen sizes range from 7-10".
post #2553 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Check out the Bench Test results on the 95 at Secrets of Home Theater for comparison. it will be interesting to see how close you come to their results.
--Bob
Well notwithstanding the possibility that their unit was particularly good, I can't agree with this comment:

" .... the BDP-95's audio performance is nothing short of superb, posting some audio measurements that were below the limits of detectability by the standard bench test instrument in the industry"

What I measured (at least noise spectrum and HD) was certainly not below the detectability of a fairly good setup.
At any rate, OPPO have my results so I'll see what comment they have :-)
post #2554 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 12:01 PM

Liked: 10
what's the Discrete on/off for? how to use? thanks.
post #2555 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post
Well notwithstanding the possibility that their unit was particularly good, I can't agree with this comment:

" .... the BDP-95's audio performance is nothing short of superb, posting some audio measurements that were below the limits of detectability by the standard bench test instrument in the industry"

What I measured (at least noise spectrum and HD) was certainly not below the detectability of a fairly good setup.
You might also want to get in touch with the editor who did those tests at Secrets to compare test setup and methodology.
--Bob

post #2556 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
You might also want to get in touch with the editor who did those tests at Secrets to compare test setup and methodology.
--Bob
Will do and thanks Bob! I posted a short comment and a link to my results on the Secrets page earlier today. I'm certainly not an expert in audio-specs testing, but I believe the results of my basic comparison tests I am able to do are meaningful.
post #2557 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd93 View Post
what's the Discrete on/off for? how to use? thanks.
If you are transferring remote codes to a programmable remote, the discrete ON/OFF codes (as distinct from the normal power button, which is an On/Off toggle) are useful so that the programmable remote can send a command to turn the player on without having to know in advance whether the player is ALREADY on. If it used the normal power toggle command, that would turn the player off, if it happened to be on at the moment. Same thing for programming to turn the player off.
--Bob

post #2558 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 12:33 PM

(1) Is it possible to disable the background light on the BDP83/95 remote control? I was surprised at how fast the batteries on my 83 remote drained ... maybe disabling light will prolong life

(2) Can the audio attenuation (Volume) level be displayed on the front panel of the unit? I can only see it on the external video Display

(3) Is it possible to get a service-manual (or schematic diagram) of the 95? (curiosity)
post #2559 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I believe I found the solution to this problem. I realized that the issue (digital noise coming from the speakers when switching from my receiver's analog CD inputs after listening to a SACD, to the digital HDMI inputs in order to watch a movie) was happening to me only after listening to SACD's, so I tried a couple of regular CD's instead. I listened to them via my receiver's CD input. I stopped the CD, ejected it, closed the Oppo's disc tray, and switched inputs on my receiver from CD to HDMI. Nothing. No problems at all. So the issue was definitely related to SACD playback. I then went to the Oppo's set-up menu and switched the SACD output from DSD to PCM. After that, I rebooted the Oppo, just in case, and made sure the change had taken effect. I popped-in a couple of SACD (same one I had had issues with), listened to a few seconds, stopped, ejected, etc, switched inputs on my receiver and... voilá... no problems at all.

I am no expert nor a technician, but I am assuming there's a glitch in the output of the DSD signal whenever that option is selected. I get the feeling that the Oppo still outputs some sort of digital noise via the HDMI option, even after the playback of an SACD has been stopped. It's as if something that should be interrupted after pressing "stop" is not. Again, reverting to hi-res PCM output eliminates the problem.

A little bit of a shame, since I believe I was finally hearing a difference between DSD>PCM>analog outs and DSD>analog outs... However, the way around this if you want to go from SACD listening straight to watching a movie via HDMI is to simply turn the Oppo off after SACD playback and back on BEFORE switching inputs on your receiver.

I will definitely share my experience with Oppo, but was wondering if anybody else went through this?
If you've got a repeatable case here, by all means work with Oppo on the details.

When you are using SACD DSD, does the DSD conversion actually engage? If so the PCM light in the front panel will be OFF and the on-screen display will say SACD DSD in the lower right.

What's going on with video while you are doing this? Do you have the display off? Is the video running on HDMI through your AVR or via separate cable direct to the display?

Do you know if your AVR is able to accept HDMI DSD input, i.e., can the AVR process DSD itself?
--Bob

post #2560 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
(1) Is it possible to disable the background light on the BDP83/95 remote control? I was surprised at how fast the batteries on my 83 remote drained ... maybe disabling light will prolong life

(2) Can the audio attenuation (Volume) level be displayed on the front panel of the unit? I can only see it on the external video Display

(3) Is it possible to get a service-manual (or schematic diagram) of the 95? (curiosity)
No the back light can not be disabled. However Oppo sells an alternative remote (the one that was bundled with the BDP-80) which has no backlight if you want to try that one.

Another good alternative is to switch to a programmable remote like one of the Logitech/Harmony products.

The player's Volume adjustment does not display on the front panel. That's a good suggestion if you'd like to pass it along to Oppo.

I don't believe Oppo has a service manual available to the public.
--Bob

post #2561 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp0wer View Post
I was wondering if someone can help me, I'm trying to play DTS 5.1 wav files through the multi-analogue outputs and all I get is white noise, but when I use the optical output to my Anthem avm30 it will decode the wav files.

Is this the only way to play these files, I really want to use the Sabre 32 Dacs on the analogue outputs
I'm not sure what you mean by a "DTS" 5.1 wav file, but that aside, there is currently a bug in 5.1 wav playback which results in incorrect speaker output mapping. It should not produce white noise, just audio to the wrong speakers.
--Bob

post #2562 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Oppo UK is now accepting orders for the rack mount kit for the BDP-95EU:

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/ecommer...mount-kit.aspx

It shows them as "in stock".
--Bob

post #2563 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Bob, thanks very much for helping me with this matter. Here are the answers to your questions:

If you've got a repeatable case here, by all means work with Oppo on the details.

Will call them on Monday for sure.

When you are using SACD DSD, does the DSD conversion actually engage? If so the PCM light in the front panel will be OFF and the on-screen display will say SACD DSD in the lower right.

I checked, and it looks like in BOTH cases (when I choose DSD or PCM output on SACD's) the "PCM" indicator will light up on the front display, along with the "SACD" indicator. I did not notice this before because I always listen in "Pure Audio" mode, which as you know turns the display off. BUT, these indicators will simply go on and off. They simply don't stay put. Oppo told me that is a known bug and they are working on it. Apparently the 95's display is based on the 93's display, and there has been a compatibility issue there that did not translate well to the 95. In any case, now I am puzzled. If I switch to DSD, I experience the problem I described in my original post. If I switch to PCM, the problem is gone (just tried again). But in BOTH cases, the display shows "PCM"... I am at a loss for an explanation there.

What's going on with video while you are doing this? Do you have the display off? Is the video running on HDMI through your AVR or via separate cable direct to the display?

Yes, my Panasonic TV is off while this happens. My video signal is running via a SEPARATE HDMI cable to the TV, but this also carries audio (I do this so that whenever I want to watch, say, and old mono movie with a low-quality soundtrack, I don't necessarily have to turn my receiver on and I can listen to the soundtrack using my TV's speakers). I use "HDMI 1" out for video and "HDMI 2" out for HD audio only to my receiver. I do no lot listen to SACD's via HDMI. I listen to all music formats ONLY via the analog L/R RCA outputs connected to the analog CD inputs on my receiver.

Do you know if your AVR is able to accept HDMI DSD input, i.e., can the AVR process DSD itself?

No, it can not. This was confirmed by Marantz' tech people. It WILL accept the DSD signal but it will then convert it to 88.2 PCM data instead. I did try this on my previous Oppo, the 980H. My old Yamaha receiver would accept DSD and it would display it as such on the front display.

Hope that helps!

Now, if you don't mind, a question I am sure was answered a gazillion times before, but I would appreciate it if you save me the time it would require browsing through all the previous pages in this thread:

Can the Oppo's front panel USB input accept a memory stick with 192/24 files? If not, what is the maximum sampling rate and bit rate it will accept?

I ask because I just played the free samples from HD-Track's website (which are 24/96), downloaded to an USB track. They sounded superb. I kept reading about this for the last two years but only now did I get to experience it. Now I am hooked! And I was wondering if I could also play the HRx format that Reference Recordings sells on DVD-R discs and are, I believe, 24/176.4 wav files... Can I purchase the DVD-R's that Reference Recordings sells, copy the files to an USB stick, and play that via teh Oppo's front panel USB input without any loss in resolution and without compatibility issues?
post #2564 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 02:03 PM

BTW, regarding my post above, just tried switching back and forth again between DSD and PCM, and BOTH the front display and the TV display show only "SACD PCM". I tried rebooting the Oppo multiple times, removed the disc, put it back in, etc, etc. So, it looks like all this time here I was thinking I was listening to DSD>analog out, and I really wasn't... but for some reason, when "DSD" is enabled, I get a loud digital noise coming from HDMI input in my receiver... The plot thickens!
post #2565 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 02:26 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuza View Post

So doing so (analog) will ignore my AVR (pre-amp/processor) DAC? I did this and noticed no audio quality difference vs the PS3. Any ideas why?

Exactly how multi-channel analog inputs work depends on your AVR. Some of the higher end Denon gear (AVP-A1HDCI and the flagship receiver, the AVR-5308CI) come configured by default to digitize the multi-channel inputs and use the speaker crossover that's configured in the AVR. There are settings you can make to turn this off and get a true analog pass-thru. Check the appropriate thread in the AMPs, Receivers, and Processors forum for your specific Denon AVR (or consult the owner's manual) to find out what the case is with yours. Also keep in mind that the quality of the rest of your system may be a major contributing factor in being able to hear the difference. I think you mentioned you have Klipsch speakers, but I'm not familiar enough with the ones you have to give anything resembling useful feedback there.
post #2566 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:

BTW, regarding my post above, just tried switching back and forth again between DSD and PCM, and BOTH the front display and the TV display show only "SACD PCM". I tried rebooting the Oppo multiple times, removed the disc, put it back in, etc, etc. So, it looks like all this time here I was thinking I was listening to DSD>analog out, and I really wasn't... but for some reason, when "DSD" is enabled, I get a loud digital noise coming from HDMI input in my receiver... The plot thickens!

Do you have the latest firmware?
Is the HDMI Audio set to OFF?
SACD Output=>DSD.
Sa
post #2567 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa_M View Post

Do you have the latest firmware?
Is the HDMI Audio set to OFF?
SACD Output=>DSD.
Sa

No, I have the HDMI Audio set to ON because, on top of the audio being ouput to my receiver for blu-ray HD soundtracks via HDMI 2, I also do need the audio signal to go to my TV whenever there is no need to turn my receiver on. That was one of the main reasons I purchased the Oppo: because of its dual HDMI outputs. 75% of my movie watching is comprised of old movies in mono, and a lot of times I'd rather not turn my Marantz on and use the TV's speakers instead. Saves electricity, extends the life of the Marantz, and helps with the heat level... specially if you live in South FL and already have a 65" TV emanating tons of warmth.

Do I need to turn HDMI Audio to OFF in order to output DSD>analog?
post #2568 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 03:06 PM

I use the multi-channel analog to connect to my Yamaha HTR-5990 receiver. The receiver already finished the automatic configuration for the 7.1 Ch speakers. Do I still need to configur the speakers from this player? Thanks,
post #2569 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:

No, I have the HDMI Audio set to ON because, on top of the audio being ouput to my receiver for blu-ray HD soundtracks via HDMI 2, I also do need the audio signal to go to my TV whenever there is no need to turn my receiver on. That was one of the main reasons I purchased the Oppo: because of its dual HDMI outputs. 75% of my movie watching is comprised of old movies in mono, and a lot of times I'd rather not turn my Marantz on and use the TV's speakers instead. Saves electricity, extends the life of the Marantz, and helps with the heat level... specially if you live in South FL and already have a 65" TV emanating tons of warmth.

Yes.
The AV7005 has a pass-through on standby.
post #2570 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:

I now see the following regarding the latest firmware on Oppo's website, which explains it all, I suppose (I did not have the latest firmware yet, so I'll have to download it now):

"For users who only use the analog audio output, setting "HDMI Audio" to "Off" and "SACD Output" to "DSD" in the "Audio Format Setup" section of the setup menu will now maintain DSD output to the analog audio D/A converters. The previous firmware will force a conversion to PCM if the connected HDMI TV or A/V receiver cannot support DSD."

Well, even though it is not Oppo's fault that my receiver does not support DSD, that is disappointing. If I want to keep my receiver off during certain movie-watching and output BOTH video AND audio only to my TV via "HDMI 1", I can't then output DSD directly to the main L/R stereo analog outputs during SACD playback. In other words, can't have your cake and eat it, too. Kinda defeats one of the purposes of the dual HDMI outputs I originally wanted to take advantage of... I guess I can always switch between "HDMI Audio" ON and OFF whenever I want to watch a movie without turning my receiver on, and that should take care of the problem...
post #2571 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Noise levels on your base measurement (just the cable) are reflected
in the noise curves of the two players. For example, note the broad
peaks at 60Hz -- these were picked up from the environment and
almost certainly did not come from either player. Your noise results
would probably be seriously different in a quieter environment.

I once conducted similar tests on professional magnetic disk
equipment. Ambient noise completely swamped the signal. The
only way to obtain meaningful results was to enclose both test
setup and DUT in a Faraday cage (I'll let you guess the cost of a
room size cage :-) ).

-- Ron
post #2572 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

OK, when you have DSD set, and the HDMI active to the receiver, the player is TRYING to establish a DSD connection over that HDMI cable.

Now you say your receiver will accept DSD input (although it then just converts that to PCM, as is pretty common). So during the handshake it should be saying that DSD input is OK.

I suspect there is a handshake problem here between the player and the AVR as to whether DSD is or is not really in use. The player is deciding to stick with PCM (thus the SACD PCM in the lower right corner of the on-screen display info when you bring that up). But if the AVR is, nevertheless, convinced that DSD is coming in then you've got a mismatch which can result in problems.

So here's what I suggest: Using the new 0323 firmware, set HDMI Audio OFF, and then try SACD DSD analog output. This will keep audio handshakes from being tried on EITHER of your HDMI connections. You should now get SACD DSD in the info display.

When you are finished with the SACD and have ejected or stopped it, set HDMI Audio LPCM or Bitstream (whichever you were using -- I recommend against using Auto for this), select the HDMI audio input in your AVR, and see if you have a noise problem.

Done this way, the two HDMI connections should never even see an attempt to do a DSD handshake. If you STILL get the noise then that says the problem is internal to the audio processing in the player (not a handshake issue). If you DON'T get the noise, then that says the problem is in the handshake -- quite possibly a holdover from a failed, initial attempt to setup up an HDMI DSD connection even though you weren't actually using either HDMI connection at the time.

Now, if you find out that the second case is true -- which points the finger at the handshake -- then the next step is to try it again (volume turned down of course) with the HDMI cable to the TV disconnected.

You see, many modern HDMI devices keep their last used HDMI socket "active" even when the device is turned OFF. In the case of your TV, that may mean an attempt to do the HDMI DSD setup was happening on that cable even though the TV was off. That failed of course since the TV can't handle DSD, and thus you ended up getting PCM instead of DSD (as evidenced by your info displays). However there may have been a lingering result of that failed handshake either in the TV or in the AVR which resulted in the noise problem when you went back to HDMI.

By trying this with the TV disconnected you can tell whether the two device HDMI hookup is part and parcel of this problem.

Another thing to try is HDMI LPCM vs. HDMI Bitstream, as the problem when coming out of DSD use may only happen in your AVR with just one of those.

All of this is really just diagnostic at this point -- trying to get a handle on the boundaries of the problem.
--Bob

post #2573 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I now see the following regarding the latest firmware on Oppo's website, which explains it all, I suppose (I did not have the latest firmware yet, so I'll have to download it now):

"For users who only use the analog audio output, setting "HDMI Audio" to "Off" and "SACD Output" to "DSD" in the "Audio Format Setup" section of the setup menu will now maintain DSD output to the analog audio D/A converters. The previous firmware will force a conversion to PCM if the connected HDMI TV or A/V receiver cannot support DSD."

Well, even though it is not Oppo's fault that my receiver does not support DSD, that is disappointing. If I want to keep my receiver off during certain movie-watching and output BOTH video AND audio only to my TV via "HDMI 1", I can't then output DSD directly to the main L/R stereo analog outputs during SACD playback. In other words, can't have your cake and eat it, too. Kinda defeats one of the purposes of the dual HDMI outputs I originally wanted to take advantage of... I guess I can always switch between "HDMI Audio" ON and OFF whenever I want to watch a movie without turning my receiver on, and that should take care of the problem...

Movie watching won't be affected by the complexities of DSD use. DSD is never used for movie audio tracks. It is only found on SACD discs.

As you've described it, your AVR *DOES* accept HDMI DSD input. The fact that it converts that right away to LPCM (pretty common for almost all receivers that accept DSD) doesn't change the fact that it accepts DSD as a valid input. You won't see the purported advantage of DSD-direct-to-analog conversion when using your AVR for DSD input, but that's distinct from there being a handshake problem.

The problem of course is that your TV does not, itself, accept HDMI DSD input. Thus to get DSD to either the DACs inside the Oppo *OR* to the HDMI input of your AVR, you need to make the HDMI connection to the TV inactive.

You can do that using HDMI Audio OFF in the Oppo (using the new, 0323, firmware).

You can also likely do that by switching the TV to a different input (whether or not the TV is also OFF).

You may find you CAN'T do that simply by turning the TV OFF (while leaving it on the input from the Oppo) due to the situation I mentioned in the post above where many modern HDMI devices keep their last used HDMI socket "live" even when the device is "off".

--------------------------------------------

By the way, I thought you were ALREADY on the new, 0323, firmware. If that's not true, then you should do that update FIRST, before spending any more time trying to diagnose this problem.
--Bob

post #2574 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 05:23 PM

A question about the balanced audio connectors in connection with XLR Terminal Polarity.

How can you see if the postive and negative pins are switched on your amp? On the Oppo there's 1 pin up and 2 down. On my amp it's the other way around. Does this mean that I have to set XLR Terminal Polarity to Inversion?

Kraton
post #2575 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I guess I can always switch between "HDMI Audio" ON and OFF whenever I want to watch a movie without turning my receiver on, and that should take care of the problem...

Or just hook up a separate digital cable to the TV for the mono movies and change audio input of TV. Audio is always present on those outputs.

Martin

SACD Library:  

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #2576 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraton View Post

A question about the balanced audio connectors in connection with XLR Terminal Polarity.

How can you see if the postive and negative pins are switched on your amp? On the Oppo there's 1 pin up and 2 down. On my amp it's the other way around. Does this mean that I have to set XLR Terminal Polarity to Inversion?

Kraton

You have to read the manual for your preamp. Many invert the phase like Conrad-Johnson. Most don't.
post #2577 of 11233 Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:

Movie watching won't be affected by the complexities of DSD use. DSD is never used for movie audio tracks. It is only found on SACD discs.

As you've described it, your AVR *DOES* accept HDMI DSD input. The fact that it converts that right away to LPCM (pretty common for almost all receivers that accept DSD) doesn't change the fact that it accepts DSD as a valid input. You won't see the purported advantage of DSD-direct-to-analog conversion when using your AVR for DSD input, but that's distinct from there being a handshake problem.

The problem of course is that your TV does not, itself, accept HDMI DSD input. Thus to get DSD to either the DACs inside the Oppo *OR* to the HDMI input of your AVR, you need to make the HDMI connection to the TV inactive.

You can do that using HDMI Audio OFF in the Oppo (using the new, 0323, firmware).

You can also likely do that by switching the TV to a different input (whether or not the TV is also OFF).

You may find you CAN'T do that simply by turning the TV OFF (while leaving it on the input from the Oppo) due to the situation I mentioned in the post above where many modern HDMI devices keep their last used HDMI socket "live" even when the device is "off".

--------------------------------------------

By the way, I thought you were ALREADY on the new, 0323, firmware. If that's not true, then you should do that update FIRST, before spending any more time trying to diagnose this problem.
--Bob

Bob, your help is invaluable and I thank you for taking the time to explain the logic behind all of this. I was aware that HDMI is a two-way type of connection, but I was not aware that it could cause this type of issue even when a device is off. I will download the latest firmware and report back, hopefully tomorrow (still have to set-up the wireless network on the Oppo).

Regarding these comments:

"Movie watching won't be affected by the complexities of DSD use. DSD is never used for movie audio tracks. It is only found on SACD discs."

What I meant to say is that I would rather not turn "HDMI Audio" to "OFF" because I'd like to have the option of outputting BOTH audio and video via "HDMI 1" in order to watch mono movies via my TV without having to turn my receiver on (and thus make use of the "HDMI 2" output). If I turn "HDMI Audio" to "OFF", the Oppo would output video but NO audio through "HDMI 1", correct? I am aware, of course, that DSD is only used on SACD's.

"You can also likely do that by switching the TV to a different input (whether or not the TV is also OFF)."

Could you elaborate on this? Not sure I fully understand.

In any case, am I correct in assuming that whatever the differences (if any) between DSD>analog and DSD>PCM>analog would be negligible or barely noticeable on my current set-up (the Marantz being a middle-of-the-road receiver and thus not the most revealing piece of gear out of there), and I might as well set the "SACD output" to "PCM" and just forget about all of this, even after installing the firmware?

And did you get a chance to look at another one of my questions in a previous post? Just in case, I'll copy it here:
If you don't mind, a question I am sure was answered a gazillion times before, but I would appreciate it if you save me the time it would require browsing through all the previous pages in this thread:

Can the Oppo's front panel USB input accept a memory stick with 192/24 files? If not, what is the maximum sampling rate and bit rate it will accept?

I ask because I just played the free samples from HD-Track's website (which are 24/96), downloaded to an USB track. They sounded superb. I kept reading about this for the last two years but only now did I get to experience it. Now I am hooked! And I was wondering if I could also play the HRx format that Reference Recordings sells on DVD-R discs and are, I believe, 24/176.4 wav files... Can I purchase the DVD-R's that Reference Recordings sells, copy the files to an USB stick, and play that via teh Oppo's front panel USB input without any loss in resolution and without compatibility issues?

Again, can't thank you enough.
post #2578 of 11233 Old 04-03-2011, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

Bob, your help is invaluable and I thank you for taking the time to explain the logic behind all of this. I was aware that HDMI is a two-way type of connection, but I was not aware that it could cause this type of issue even when a device is off. I will download the latest firmware and report back, hopefully tomorrow (still have to set-up the wireless network on the Oppo).

Regarding these comments:

"Movie watching won't be affected by the complexities of DSD use. DSD is never used for movie audio tracks. It is only found on SACD discs."

What I meant to say is that I would rather not turn "HDMI Audio" to "OFF" because I'd like to have the option of outputting BOTH audio and video via "HDMI 1" in order to watch mono movies via my TV without having to turn my receiver on (and thus make use of the "HDMI 2" output). If I turn "HDMI Audio" to "OFF", the Oppo would output video but NO audio through "HDMI 1", correct? I am aware, of course, that DSD is only used on SACD's.

"You can also likely do that by switching the TV to a different input (whether or not the TV is also OFF)."

Could you elaborate on this? Not sure I fully understand.

In any case, am I correct in assuming that whatever the differences (if any) between DSD>analog and DSD>PCM>analog would be negligible or barely noticeable on my current set-up (the Marantz being a middle-of-the-road receiver and thus not the most revealing piece of gear out of there), and I might as well set the "SACD output" to "PCM" and just forget about all of this, even after installing the firmware?

And did you get a chance to look at another one of my questions in a previous post? Just in case, I'll copy it here:
If you don't mind, a question I am sure was answered a gazillion times before, but I would appreciate it if you save me the time it would require browsing through all the previous pages in this thread:

Again, can't thank you enough.

Hi, I had my first taste as well from HD tracks last week with the free download. I then put them on a USB stick, and was amazed In addition to these I also got two 24/192 tracks from HRx, for free! and they played back flawlessly as well, as long as media monkey can convert it your fine Sounds like you needed to hear some good news! good luck with everything else, I'm sure it will get sorted out!
post #2579 of 11233 Old 04-03-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron12n View Post

Noise levels on your base measurement (just the cable) are reflected
in the noise curves of the two players. For example, note the broad
peaks at 60Hz -- these were picked up from the environment and
almost certainly did not come from either player. Your noise results
would probably be seriously different in a quieter environment.

I once conducted similar tests on professional magnetic disk
equipment. Ambient noise completely swamped the signal. The
only way to obtain meaningful results was to enclose both test
setup and DUT in a Faraday cage (I'll let you guess the cost of a
room size cage :-) ).

-- Ron

I don't quite understand what you mean. The first image of the noise floor shows a very low noise level (basically the ambient, cable and sound card noise capabilities. There is a huge difference in the 83 and the 95 measured with the identical cable setup in the identical environment at the same time (and swapped back to verify reproducibility of the results). Look at the difference in the region from 300 Hz to 5 kHz. If this is an "ambient pickup" issue, then it indicates a shielding problem or similar issue in the 95 that is not there in the 83. I've tested other gear in a similar way (for noise) in my environment, and the results are all quite low. The 95 is definitely worse.

The full RMAA results for the 83 are bang on spec, but the 95 results (not published yet) are not within specs in the noise (the THD and BW/flatness are excellent). My only issue therefore is the noise floor.
post #2580 of 11233 Old 04-03-2011, 05:11 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Hi, I had my first taste as well from HD tracks last week with the free download. I then put them on a USB stick, and was amazed In addition to these I also got two 24/192 tracks from HRx, for free! and they played back flawlessly as well, as long as media monkey can convert it your fine Sounds like you needed to hear some good news! good luck with everything else, I'm sure it will get sorted out!

You're lucky. IK went throught the order process and at the end was told to go pound sound because I'm not in the US.

Ii did get the free files but I found a couple discs I want to order.

Does anyone have a Canadian friendly (don't care what country) site where HD discs/tracks can be purchased?

Oppo BDP-95
Bryston 3B-ST 2ch on mains
Lexicon 512 5ch
PSB Stratus Gold mains
PSB C6i center
Rythmik FV15HP
Paradigm ADP-370 surrounds
cheap energy rear speakers
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List