Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 126 Old 11-14-2011, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tausifs View Post

However most blu rays I put in , the transport makes a horrible vibrating/ buzzing sound. I note soneone else has commented on this too.

Very disappointing. I suspect it will plague some units.

The horrible vibration has happened to me twice. It is is enough to reload the disc, but still very disappointing as for hi-end unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 126 Old 11-15-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budvykis View Post

The horrible vibration has happened to me twice. It is is enough to reload the disc, but still very disappointing as for hi-end unit.

A few people are reporting this, however has not happened to me with either DVD or Bluray. I'm wondering if some discs are simply not well formed and will vibrate regardless of the player.

A good test would be to try that same disc in a friend's player and see if they also experience the problem. It would be ideal, of course, to try it in another DBP-2012 or similar class player, as higher-end players could be more sensitive to disc manufacturing tolerances - although this is just speculation.
post #93 of 126 Old 11-28-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Z View Post

A few people are reporting this, however has not happened to me with either DVD or Bluray. I'm wondering if some discs are simply not well formed and will vibrate regardless of the player.

A good test would be to try that same disc in a friend's player and see if they also experience the problem. It would be ideal, of course, to try it in another DBP-2012 or similar class player, as higher-end players could be more sensitive to disc manufacturing tolerances - although this is just speculation.

I am looking at getting this unit for Christmas. How is the unit overall, sound, picture, disk loading speed,et.?
post #94 of 126 Old 11-29-2011, 10:56 AM

I'll know soon. It will be compared to an OPPO 83 and a Denon 4010. I am getting it based on my feeling that the Denon 4010 is the best DVD/Bluray player I have ever seen/used. It is definitely better than the OPPO, but the OPPO is very good too.
post #95 of 126 Old 12-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Just Hooked one up. The front panel is plastic, a little bit chintzy at this price but not a deal breaker for me. The unit overall is still very nice looking and operates ultra smooth, that is where you are likely to notice a difference between it and cheaper machines. I played 2 blurays on it last night and a couple DVD's to check it out. Load speed was quick. I am not the person to ask about calibrated PQ comparisons or ability to pass DSD audio 192K. I'm a two channel audio guy and have a separate stereo for that. I use the Denon just straight HDMI to the TV, then stereo out from the TV to a headphone amp. If I were to use it specifically for music, I'd just do analog from player to headphone amp. I'm no expert but I am pretty pickey about my video quality. I've always liked the video of Denon's machines, and the 2012 is no exception. That is a subjective thing, there is just a certain quality about Denon video I like- it's solid, natural, detailed and clean with good color and dimension. SD DVD upscaling was very good, as was Bluray playback. I have done no instant comparing yet, but the Denon seemed to have cleaner video than the OPPO 83. The OPPO video a little noisier and a bit sharper, the Denon a tad softer but somehow presenting light and color as well or better. I think someone here said they liked the OPPO more, so like I said its a totally subjective thing. Some of the magazines do pretty deep testing on these machines, but I don't know if this one was ever tested. What Hi-fi gave it a good review but I don't think they tested it.
post #96 of 126 Old 12-02-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberttv View Post

Just Hooked one up. The front panel is plastic, a little bit chintzy at this price but not a deal breaker for me. The unit overall is still very nice looking and operates ultra smooth, that is where you are likely to notice a difference between it and cheaper machines. I played 2 blurays on it last night and a couple DVD's to check it out. Load speed was quick. I am not the person to ask about calibrated PQ comparisons or ability to pass DSD audio 192K. I'm a two channel audio guy and have a separate stereo for that. I use the Denon just straight HDMI to the TV, then stereo out from the TV to a headphone amp. If I were to use it specifically for music, I'd just do analog from player to headphone amp. I'm no expert but I am pretty pickey about my video quality. I've always liked the video of Denon's machines, and the 2012 is no exception. That is a subjective thing, there is just a certain quality about Denon video I like- it's solid, natural, detailed and clean with good color and dimension. SD DVD upscaling was very good, as was Bluray playback. I have done no instant comparing yet, but the Denon seemed to have cleaner video than the OPPO 83. The OPPO video a little noisier and a bit sharper, the Denon a tad softer but somehow presenting light and color as well or better. I think someone here said they liked the OPPO more, so like I said its a totally subjective thing. Some of the magazines do pretty deep testing on these machines, but I don't know if this one was ever tested. What Hi-fi gave it a good review but I don't think they tested it.

Have you tested the player using component cables?
post #97 of 126 Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Tango View Post

I was looking for a player to replace my Oppo 83; and I do want the 93. As is, this is not the player for me.

Thanks for the review. I'm looking for a new BR player and Denon used to make great dvd players so I was hoping this would suit my needs. I like my 93 a lot but not enough to buy a second one now that the 93 is getting a bit long in the tooth. No rumors on 103 yet so I thought I'd start looking at the brands I had in the past. I wish Sony had made a successor for the 5000es - I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
post #98 of 126 Old 12-06-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Good find. I just checked out the 2012 manual for the UK version (there is no US manual) and it does look like it outputs the DSD stream, so as long as your AVR / prepro can decode it, we are back in the game. Which is actually better for me than what the Oppo does since my Denon AVR-5308 does process DSD. So maybe I'll pick up some new SACDs after all.

Where did you get your specs though? I don't see them listed the way you have them in the manual.

What's the big deal about DSD? Almost all SACDs are recorded analague, mastered in PCM and converted to DSD later anyways (since they don't have the 1 bit recorders for the purpose). I don't think the high frequency advantage of DSD recording is still there on a SACD. But I'm open to comments.
post #99 of 126 Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 AM

I'd agree with serko, not many SACD's are pure DSD to begin with anyway. I've spent a little more time with the player over the weekend. The transport has operated ultra smooth, and is significantly better than the OPPO 83 transport. The transport on 2012 seems similar to the much more expensive 4010, for that I'm willing to forgive the plastic front panel- putting the money where it matters. BD load time is very fast. BD PQ is excellent. I'd have to pull out my calibration disc and match them up as best I could to do a more controlled comparison between the 2012 and the OPPO 83. For now I can say the Denon seems to have cleaner video. The Denon has better audio. To be fair the Denon is really priced closer to the OPPO 95, with which I have no comparison. My initial impression is the Denon 2012 is a better unit overall than the OPPO 83, but both are very good. The 4010 is a little better than either, particularly on SD DVD Upscaling, and is the best single box video player I've ever used, as far as I can tell it is the only made in Japan Bluray player besides Denon flagship model. Again the OPPO 95 would be the closer companion, but I have no experience with OPPO's flagship player. Another poster here liked his OPPO better. Btw Charlie Tango, I always thought you calibrate the display to the source, not vice versa. I will be doing more extensive calibrated comparisons soon. Each player will be set to zero/off on all internal adjustments and then calibrated at the display, then duplicate copies of the same movies will be used to allow instant switching between identical BD and DVD sources, which should be a less cursory exercise than offered so far. One thing I noticed is the OPPO outputs louder sound, so keep that in mind when making AQ comparisons.
post #100 of 126 Old 12-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Liked: 12
Does anyone know if the 2012 or the 1611 will decode DD TruHD/DTS-MA and send it PCM over HDMI?
TJG
post #101 of 126 Old 12-19-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJG55 View Post

Does anyone know if the 2012 or the 1611 will decode DD TruHD/DTS-MA and send it PCM over HDMI?
TJG

The manual says it does. But like I said in another post I'm probably not the person to verify if specifications are accurate or not Re: the digital audio processing. I use it 2 channel into a headphone amp with Sennheisers and it sounds very good. My upcoming comparison will be focusing mainly on PQ. If Denon discontinues this model and unveils some new stuff at CES, decent deals on it should be available in a month or two. The price is already dropping a bit.
post #102 of 126 Old 12-22-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budvykis View Post

Be sure to firmly and flatly seat the disc in tray well- the small indentation provided along with the softer material of the tray make this difficult sometimes. I've had no buzzing at all and this is in fact the smoothest, quietest transport I've used. While the unit has decent build and very good performance, I do think the 2012 is a bit overpriced currently.
post #103 of 126 Old 12-27-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

I have to agree, and that's why I canceled my order for this player and went with the DBP-2010 for $300 on close-out.

I wonder what's with the price difference of the DBP-2010. Several checks revealed that the player can be had as low as $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot_HD View Post

02-05-11, 07:12 PM
I know this player is at the end of it's life cycle but was wondering how this player compares to the newer offerings. My local Best Buy found one in their backroom brand new in a sealed box. I ended up buying it for just under $130...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detach50 View Post

03-05-11, 02:50 PM
Hey fellas, i have a question for you guys.

I purchased a DBP-2010 new years eve from best buy for $100..............

The thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...157008&page=30
post #104 of 126 Old 12-28-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder_78 View Post

I wonder what's with the price difference of the DBP-2010. Several checks revealed that the player can be had as low as $100.

The thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...157008&page=30

2010 is an older model on closeout pricing and is most definitely not the 2012. The 2012 has a much better scaling and processing anchor bay chip for better video on DVD's and Blurays. The 2012 is streaming and 3D capable, and finally the 2012 plays HD or SD media files in DivX and Windows Media format from a burned DVD R or a USB stick, it's the only player I know of that plays HD Windows Media files (WMV). Oppo does'nt because they did'nt get the microsoft licensing according to the person I talked to at OPPO.
post #105 of 126 Old 12-29-2011, 12:29 PM

I recently did a comparison of the Denon 2012 and the OPPO 83 using identical discs. I first used a calibration disc to even them up. On bluray the differences were marginal, I thought the Denon was a tiny bit better delivering a fractionally smoother and spacious picture, but both presented a spectacular image. On Upscaled DVD it was very close, honestly I could'nt decide, at times I preferred the OPPO by a hair, observing the opposite- the OPPO was fractionally smoother and spacious on DVD compared to the Denon. In terms of subjective performance playing actual movies there is little to choose between the two, both are great. On test disc, the Denon did not show "below white" information, the OPPO did, in actual use playing movies I am not sure what effect below white measurements have, maybe somebody could clear that up. In terms of overall build quality and smoothness of operation of the transport and responsiveness of the remote control I give the nod to the Denon. Both are excellent machines IMO.
post #106 of 126 Old 04-04-2012, 12:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd4959 View Post

Glad to see some feedback on this unit going up. I've had mine for a few months now and I hate to say it but I am not thrilled with it.

The noise levels on some Blu-rays is distracting - I've tried changing the settings and the results are only slightly better. I expected pristine quality, but the video is harsh-looking for the most part. Older films on Blu-ray have been very disappopinting. My old Panasonic player does better.

The tray vibration noise has only happened to me once, and I just reloaded the disc -twice- and it went away. A little scary for "down the road".

As far as sound goes...I'm disappointed here too. I'm a Denon lover - mostly for the sound. I've had no fewer than 6 Denon AVR's over the years, and currently run the AVR-4306 in my living room 2 channel system, and the AVR-3808 in my basement home theater setup. Have Paradigm Reference speakers, and have done the Audyssey calibration too.

But...I find the sound harsh, cold...almost brash. Denon always has a "warm" sound to me, so this is perplexing. Regular CDs sound so-so, Sacds good and DVD-A good, but I wanted great. I have a DVD-3930 from several years back, and I think it sounds great - it was in the same system with the same calibration. I just thought I'd get an all-in-one with the Blu-ray capabilities, so that's why I replaced it.

I don't hate the 2012, just don't love it. I'm pretty disappointed at this point.

Sorry to hear it has not met your expectations either. But that was a nicely composed post and a pleasure nevertheless to read.

The transport rattled every time I put a BD in , strangely not with any DVDs though.

I like the sound of Denon too. After my 3800BD player broke , after passing on the 2012BD, I bought a used 3800BD and love the multichannel analogues , that's why originally bought one.
post #107 of 126 Old 04-18-2012, 01:14 AM

I found the display of media files on my USB Hard drive connected to 2012 are in random order.
Is there a setting to make them display alphabetically?
TIA.
post #108 of 126 Old 05-12-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I am having a hard time finding any reviews on the 2012 other than what are on this thread.
Have any AV sites done an indepth review?
post #109 of 126 Old 05-19-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Well not too much activity on this thread. But after reading all the less than sterling reviews here I went ahead and bought one. The PQ and AQ is outstanding though I did get a bit of stuttering in the DVD tray but that has gone away....made me nervous though.

I have been through 4 other players before I settled on this one and I hope I don't find anything wrong with it because I am tired of looking.
I tried the Sony 790 in the PQ was OK plus I just can't get into these tiny players. Sound quality just ok.
Tried the new Pioneer 53FD and got lip sync problems right out the box and a harsh sound...not warm and rich.
Tried the Panasonic 320, again sound below average.
The best was the Cambridge 651, outstanding sound, really incredible. The PQ was so so.

I think I will stick with the Denon 2012, it seems to have the PQ and sound SQ I was looking for.
Plus I am tired of shipping things back, didn't start out being so picky but I now have a TV that is more than capable of taking advantage of hi end Blu-ray players and I wanted to be happy with my pick.
post #110 of 126 Old 05-19-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I know it has Netflix and YouTube, are there any others?
post #111 of 126 Old 05-19-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

I know it has Netflix and YouTube, are there any others?

No, thats it except for DLNA. They don't seem to be all that into streaming.
Which I like, I would rather they put their efforts in build quality, picture and sound.

I have all that streaming stuff on my TV set and Roku.
post #112 of 126 Old 05-20-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know how to manually initialize the 2012. I accidentally set the remote to remote 2 and now my remote will not work with the unit.
What idiot at Denon made it so you can not reset the remote back to remote 1.
Instead you are locked out of the player with no way to operate the the unit.
post #113 of 126 Old 05-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Page 47 of the manual states the procedure to change remote modes. You can find the manual here.

post #114 of 126 Old 05-20-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post

Page 47 of the manual states the procedure to change remote modes. You can find the manual here.

Ok I see that now. Thanks, it took a half hour but it finally accepted the code.
I am back a remote 1.
Jeez what a pain.
post #115 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
When outputting SACDs as PCM via HDMI, does this player do so at 44.1, 88.2, or 176.4 KHz? I believe I asked this in the Marantz UD7006 thread, since it's basicly the same player, and as far as I know, that question was never answered as far as the top two Denon and Marantz players are concerned.
post #116 of 126 Old 05-25-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

When outputting SACDs as PCM via HDMI, does this player do so at 44.1, 88.2, or 176.4 KHz? I believe I asked this in the Marantz UD7006 thread, since it's basicly the same player, and as far as I know, that question was never answered as far as the top two Denon and Marantz players are concerned.

Big C,

Why are you still chasing 176.4 KHz?

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #117 of 126 Old 05-25-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Big C,

Why are you still chasing 176.4 KHz?

The Yamaha BD-A1010 player I have that is capable of 176.4 KHz DSD-to-PCM doesn't have a gamma control. The DBP2012UD and UD7006 do. I was wondering what the PCM sampling frequency of the 2012 and 7006 is when SACD output via HDMI is set to PCM.
post #118 of 126 Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

The Yamaha BD-A1010 player I have that is capable of 176.4 KHz DSD-to-PCM doesn't have a gamma control. The DBP2012UD and UD7006 do. I was wondering what the PCM sampling frequency of the 2012 and 7006 is when SACD output via HDMI is set to PCM.

Can you hear an audible difference in your Yamaha?

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #119 of 126 Old 05-28-2012, 05:16 AM

Hi,
please, can Denon 2012 play mkv from BD and BD-RE or from DVD only?
Thanks!
post #120 of 126 Old 05-29-2012, 08:37 AM

I use the analog outs for the player and I am having trouble with sound while using Netflix. Sometimes the sound plays and sometimes it doesn't.. Is anyone else having this issue?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Blu Ray Disc Player Dolby Digital Plus Dbp 2012ud
Gear in this thread - 2012ud by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page