Sony BDP-S280/S380 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 213 Old 11-16-2011, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
SACD works great for me. My receiver doesn't decode DSD, so I output PCM from the Sony. I don't have any other SACD player to compare it to, but it's tons better than standard CD or audio files. CD playback is not as good as playing lossless audio file, but you have to listen very carefully to hear the difference. Based on this, I'm sure there's room for improvement in SACD as well, but for the money, hard to complain. The track names show up in the menu too, which is nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 213 Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcms6 View Post

SACD works great for me. My receiver doesn't decode DSD, so I output PCM from the Sony. I don't have any other SACD player to compare it to, but it's tons better than standard CD or audio files. CD playback is not as good as playing lossless audio file, but you have to listen very carefully to hear the difference. Based on this, I'm sure there's room for improvement in SACD as well, but for the money, hard to complain. The track names show up in the menu too, which is nice.

Thank you. Can you make sure you played SACD not Hybrid SACD, since Hybrid SACD can also be played on conventional CD player. I know there are not a lot of "pure" SACD on the market now if you happened to have one on hand.
post #93 of 213 Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Anyone tried playing a video with SRT subtitle? Don't you guys think the sub looks terrible & ugly (compared with a typical HD Media Player)?
post #94 of 213 Old 11-16-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubird View Post

Thank you. Can you make sure you played SACD not Hybrid SACD, since Hybrid SACD can also be played on conventional CD player. I know there are not a lot of "pure" SACD on the market now if you happened to have one on hand.

They are all hybrid SACD, but it's definitely pulling the SACD track off the disk. It displays "Super Audio CD" on the screen and the output is multi PCM, as opposed to the 2.0 PCM my AVR reads with regular CDs. On the screen it shows "DSD Multi".

I just noticed that the main menu shows the track list, but when playing a track from the SACD, it only shows "Track 2". When playing a CD, it shows all the info. see below

Attachment 228203
Attachment 228204
LL
LL
post #95 of 213 Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 AM

thank you for test that for me.
post #96 of 213 Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 AM

Hey, everyone, just picked up the BDP-S380 and really enjoying it so far but I'm a newb at all the digital audio acronyms and neither the audio settings menu nor the manual is written for lowest common denominators like me. Any help at all with getting the settings right for my receiver would be really appreciated.

My receiver is the Sony STR-KS370 and while it does Dolby Digital and DTS, it doesn't decode HD MA tracks so I know I need to set the the Blu-ray player to decode the audio before it gets to the receiver, I just have no idea what settings actually accomplish that. Thank you for any help you can give.
post #97 of 213 Old 11-18-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggins View Post

Hey, everyone, just picked up the BDP-S380 and really enjoying it so far but I'm a newb at all the digital audio acronyms and neither the audio settings menu nor the manual is written for lowest common denominators like me. Any help at all with getting the settings right for my receiver would be really appreciated.

My receiver is the Sony STR-KS370 and while it does Dolby Digital and DTS, it doesn't decode HD MA tracks so I know I need to set the the Blu-ray player to decode the audio before it gets to the receiver, I just have no idea what settings actually accomplish that. Thank you for any help you can give.

If you want your recevier to decode, you need to set your BD player audio output as bitstream.
post #98 of 213 Old 11-18-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubird View Post

If you want your recevier to decode, you need to set your BD player audio output as bitstream.

Okay, in the audio settings menu there is an option that says "Audio" HDMI" and the options are "Auto" and "PCM." Is that the setting you mean? Or is it in the options for Dolby Digital and DTS where you select DD/DTS or "Downmix PCM"?
post #99 of 213 Old 11-18-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 323
PCM means the player decodes, Auto means the player will bitstream if your receiver can handle the decoding. So either setting will work, but PCM will make sure the player always decodes.
post #100 of 213 Old 11-26-2011, 06:51 AM

Hi,

We store our videos on a NAS device as mp4 files, we can then stream to other devices in our house via ethernet or wireless connection. I haven't been able to confirm that if i have this bluray player is hard wired to our network that i will then be able to then stream movies from our NAS. Has anyone had any luck accomplishing this?

Thanks.
post #101 of 213 Old 11-28-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz54 View Post

Can you tell me if they have improved the netflix interface? Can you search titles or must you pick from only your instant cue? I don't understand why this is so difficult to implement. LG and Samsung have that capability on some of their units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbobbb View Post

All you get is the contents of your instant queue and the option to refresh your instant queue, no searching.

I agree, the current interface leaves much room for improvement.

I had no trouble SEARCHING Netflix with my SONY BD-38. Just hit OPTIONS>>SEARCH and you get the keypad. The word VAMPIRE called up a gazillion choices.
post #102 of 213 Old 12-01-2011, 05:56 AM

Is there anything that anyone can suggest that will allow my SONY BD-38 (same as 380) to stream subtitles in English for ENGLISH speaking movies from Netflix.
Is my inability the cause of the player, Netflix, or improper settings on my part?

I have no trouble getting subtitle streaming for FOREIGN (non-English) films.

Any clues for me?
post #103 of 213 Old 12-02-2011, 11:05 PM

The new firmware update broke Netflix. All other streaming services seem to work fine.

Firmware Versions
M06.R.0550 (11/03/2011) - Netflix working
M06.R.0579 (11/30/2011) - Netflix broken

I received the following error on two different units when I try to connect to Netflix.
Quote:

The service cannot be accessed at this time because the server replied with incorrect or invalid information.

I contacted Sony online support, and they indicated to me Netflix is performing network maintenance. Netflix still works fine on my WDTV Live Plus and PS3. I told the CSR the problem is on their end and to fix it. He provided me with a phone number to their Hotline Support Team(1-800-222-7669). Their offices are closed right now, so I'll be calling tomorrow.

Has anyone else encountered this?

WG
post #104 of 213 Old 12-03-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Typical useless description from Sony:
Quote:

This utility upgrades the Blu-ray Disc player firmware to version M06.R.0579 and provides the following benefits:
Improvements over firmware version M06.R.0550:

• Improves BRAVIA┬« Internet Video connectivity

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #105 of 213 Old 12-03-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdg View Post

The new firmware update broke Netflix. All other streaming services seem to work fine.

Firmware Versions
M06.R.0550 (11/03/2011) - Netflix working
M06.R.0579 (11/30/2011) - Netflix broken

I received the following error on two different units when I try to connect to Netflix.

I contacted Sony online support, and they indicated to me Netflix is performing network maintenance. Netflix still works fine on my WDTV Live Plus and PS3. I told the CSR the problem is on their end and to fix it. He provided me with a phone number to their Hotline Support Team(1-800-222-7669). Their offices are closed right now, so I'll be calling tomorrow.

Has anyone else encountered this?

WG

I was using Netflix on my Sony TV yesterday evening (around 7PM CST.) No problems there.

post #106 of 213 Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 AM

I had this issue last night, but not on all programs. Some worked, some didn't. Weird.
post #107 of 213 Old 12-03-2011, 10:04 AM

BTW, I'm in Canada.

*EDIT*
I spoke to Sony's Hotline Support in Canada and they weren't aware of any issues. When I got off the phone with them, I contacted Netflix. When I told the CSR the model number, she indicated to me other users called in about a similar problem and that I should contact Sony again. I contacted Sony again, and with some luck got the same CSR I spoke to earlier. I indicated to him everything I tried after I spoke to him last, and that I also contacted Netflix. Then I asked him if other users with the same model blu-ray player had run into the same problem, and he said yes. He's going to send a ticket to the Sony engineers and have them look into the issue when they're back at work on Monday morning. It seems like an issue with a firmware. I'm able to connect to Netflix US, but not Netflix Canada.

WG
post #108 of 213 Old 12-04-2011, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
After updating the firmware to the latest about a few weeks ago, I notice that every once and a while, when the disc is on the loading screen of a disc (for instance Dark Knight this morning) the player will shut off and "wait" keeps popping up on the display screen. It completely locks up and the only way around it is to unplug the player. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

EDIT - Just saw that there was an update last week. Maybe that will fix the issue.
post #109 of 213 Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 AM

I got the update 11/30 and no problems streaming Netflix. (SONY BD-38 player into Bravia 46-EX-501)
post #110 of 213 Old 12-04-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

After updating the firmware to the latest about a few weeks ago, I notice that every once and a while, when the disc is on the loading screen of a disc (for instance Dark Knight this morning) the player will shut off and "wait" keeps popping up on the display screen. It completely locks up and the only way around it is to unplug the player. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

EDIT - Just saw that there was an update last week. Maybe that will fix the issue.

My Dark Knight once freeze like yours with the. 415 firm ware.
post #111 of 213 Old 12-04-2011, 10:50 AM

I am able to get Netflix US to work with the latest firmware, but Netflix Canada does not. The problem with Netflix US is I can see the movies, but many of them won't play because I live in Canada.

WG
post #112 of 213 Old 12-06-2011, 04:19 PM

I just got a sony bdp-s380 from costco. Everything is updated, everything works like it should as far as the interenet apps and features I have tried to use. The problem I have is I can't connect my iphone or ipad to it to use for a media remote. Everytime I try it says on the device "An unregistered device was not found". I have seen this problem posted in other forums but no one has ever found an answer. Anyone here able to fix it?

Thanks
post #113 of 213 Old 12-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The new update is working great. Discs are loading much faster I noticed. A couple of Universal catalog titles loaded faster than DVD's!
post #114 of 213 Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 PM

I have a the BDP S380 and I am trying to sync it with my HTC inspire 4G with the pocket blu app I went out and bought an 8 GB flash drive just to be safe because it told me I needed 2 MB of memory to access the BD live content but it doesn't register that I have the flash drive plugged into the rear usb slot any suggestions will be much appreciated
post #115 of 213 Old 12-12-2011, 11:12 PM

Just an FYI to anyone that has the BDP-S380 in Canada. The Netflix app is working again. I'd been trying it out every few days to see if it was fixed, and today I noticed it was. When I tried last it was still down, but I gave Sony support all sorts of info when I called in again on Friday. I guess they ran some tests and found the glitch, because it's working again.

WG
post #116 of 213 Old 12-13-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandhaha2001 View Post

I have a the BDP S380 and I am trying to sync it with my HTC inspire 4G with the pocket blu app I went out and bought an 8 GB flash drive just to be safe because it told me I needed 2 MB of memory to access the BD live content but it doesn't register that I have the flash drive plugged into the rear usb slot any suggestions will be much appreciated

Double-check the flash drive on a computer to see if it's properly formatted, and that it is formatted FAT32. I don't know if the player will support NTFS. Also, the brand could make a difference. I once tried an HP flash drive in my original S370, and it was recognized, but would fail when it was actually used. I ended up using a Sony flash drive to be safe.

post #117 of 213 Old 12-13-2011, 10:54 PM

I just bought one of these players and am impressed so far. I have a couple of issues though.

I want to bit stream the audio to my AVR, but can't find a setting in the players Audio Menu.

You tube looks crappy, even then I play streams known to be 720 or 1080P. Is it possible to change the quality of the you tube stream like a PC?

I tested Netflix, Vudu and Amazon Video today, the Audio is only in stereo while the site says its in Dolby Digital

I think its some setting in the player, can someone help me?
post #118 of 213 Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 PM

Can anyone help me out?
post #119 of 213 Old 12-16-2011, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Double-check the flash drive on a computer to see if it's properly formatted, and that it is formatted FAT32. I don't know if the player will support NTFS. Also, the brand could make a difference. I once tried an HP flash drive in my original S370, and it was recognized, but would fail when it was actually used. I ended up using a Sony flash drive to be safe.

the sony BDP-380 does support NTFS drive
post #120 of 213 Old 12-17-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerms View Post

Can anyone help me out?

Auto=Bitstream

Other streaming (Netflix, etc.) is only stereo.

You have no control over Youtube PQ like on a PC.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony , Sony Brand , Sony Corp , Sony Corporation , Sony Electronics , Sony Blu Ray Dvd Player Bdp S380 , Bdp S380 Blu Ray Disc Player 1080p Black , Sony Bdp S380 Blu Ray Disc Player Black
Gear in this thread - S380 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page