Sony BDP-S280/S380 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 213 Old 10-26-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just a note that there could be an issue with "The Artist" and the 380, and other Sony players. If you have Internet access enabled for BD disks, "The Artist" will just hang trying to start. The front panel will go blank. You can hit STOP to get back to the HOME screen. The fix is to either: Go to the BD Disk settings on the player and change BD Internet access to "Not Allow", or disable the Internet connection to your player (unplugging the Ethernet cable or USB wireless).

The movie itself seems fine, although be aware there is NO bookmarking, neither automatic nor manual (green button.)

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 213 Old 11-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had similar problems with Prometheus.
post #183 of 213 Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Just realized that my S380 cannot play MKV muxed with HD audio. mad.gif
post #184 of 213 Old 12-05-2012, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Playing back WAVE audio via USB, there is a loud burst of white noise between tracks. Can anyone verify this?
post #185 of 213 Old 12-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

Playing back WAVE audio via USB, there is a loud burst of white noise between tracks. Can anyone verify this?

Solved this, it was the ID tags. I guess the player was trying to 'play' the ID tag data or something. After I stripped the tags, there was no more noise between tracks. This player can't really do anything with tags anyway, so no loss there.
post #186 of 213 Old 12-31-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZeppelin View Post

I had similar problems with Prometheus.
I tried on both my 370 and 380, and the movie did start. The disk is via Netflix, but is not an obvious rental version. There are no obvious extras, but it does have a huge number of audio languages. It was recognized by Gracenote and has the artwork and information, which many rental versions fail at.

post #187 of 213 Old 05-29-2013, 09:25 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm pretty much at the end of my rope. And yes I know this is long, but I want to convey how much troubleshooting I've already done and avoid any unnecessary questions...

My BDP-S380 was purchased in 11/2011, and for almost a year and a half, I've had no issues at all. A few weeks ago, I noticed Netflix was not streaming at full speed. It went from streaming around 10-15Mbps to now streaming <1Mbps. This happens all day long, so not just during peak usage hours. I should also note that Youtube streams full speed with no issues, and all the other apps on the player work fine. My laptop has no issues streaming wirelessly either. I have the player hard wired into a router fed from my 20Mbps cable internet connection. I basically went through every possible setting on the player and router (firmware updates, changed DNS and IP settings, QoS settings, etc.) including factory resetting both (multiple times). Also adjusted the video quality on my Netflix account to the lowest setting with no change. I contacted my ISP and the connection is fine; contacted Netflix, my account is set up fine and they are not performing maintenance of any kind; contacted Sony and they had me do all the troubleshooting steps I had already tried to no avail. The support tech I talked to said Sony does not host or serve any Netflix connection (although I've read otherwise) and was not sure on any upcoming firmware updates.

So after all this, I realized the one thing I didn't try was to bypass the router and plug the player directly into the modem. It worked! Netflix streamed full speed in hi-def glory with no problems. So, at this point, of course, I bought a new router, replacing my old Linksys WRT54GL with a Netgear N150. Got the new router plugged in, factory reset the player (again) just to be thorough, fired up Netflix...and was back to streaming at <1Mbps. Even tried manually configuring the network settings on the player (again) just for fun, but no luck.

At this point, I'm very frustrated and all out of ideas. All this aside, I do like the player, and would hate to can the damn thing, but this is my main Netflix interface, and my family uses it pretty much non stop. This has really been the first Sony product to disappoint me, and if I can't get it working, it will be the last. Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, tips, tricks, magic spells...anything?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and for any help.
post #188 of 213 Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Wonder if maybe you have two devices on the network with the same IP address?
post #189 of 213 Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 AM

I tried manually configuring an unused IP address within the DHCP range and even tried assigning one out of range to the player. As far as network settings, I also used Google DNS and OpenDNS and those didn't help either.
post #190 of 213 Old 06-03-2013, 01:21 PM

That is crazy. You've already tried everything I would have suggested.
post #191 of 213 Old 07-22-2013, 12:56 AM

I'm having the same issue as Hankjay. I can test my internet at 10 mb/s all day and night and have done some 24 hour tests to prove that point. I can stream Netflix HD content to my PC while my x38 is saying I only have 0.3 mb/s (obviously not streaming both at the same time). According to this post Sony might be the problem. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472775/what-is-the-minimum-internet-speed-for-good-streaming#post_23328229 Some people online have suggested that Sony did their own netflix servers as an end around and that is where the bottleneck is.
My internet provider, Brighthouse networks, does not participate in the the "Netflix Open Connect Network" and I won't get SuperHD. Here is Netflix's description of Open Connect https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect
Can anyone with the same or similar situation tell me if they are having the same issues with Sony blu-ray players? I can usually force an HD signal if exit and re-load the content over and over and over again.
again like Hankjay I'm on a wired connection that is a 4 ft run to the router then another six inch run to the modem.
post #192 of 213 Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 AM

Does anyone know if they 're done with firmware updates for this player? I'd like to know if I can delete my bookmark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbatt View Post

I'm having the same issue as Hankjay. I can test my internet at 10 mb/s all day and night and have done some 24 hour tests to prove that point. I can stream Netflix HD content to my PC while my x38 is saying I only have 0.3 mb/s (obviously not streaming both at the same time). According to this post Sony might be the problem. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472775/what-is-the-minimum-internet-speed-for-good-streaming#post_23328229 Some people online have suggested that Sony did their own netflix servers as an end around and that is where the bottleneck is.
My internet provider, Brighthouse networks, does not participate in the the "Netflix Open Connect Network" and I won't get SuperHD. Here is Netflix's description of Open Connect https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect
Can anyone with the same or similar situation tell me if they are having the same issues with Sony blu-ray players? I can usually force an HD signal if exit and re-load the content over and over and over again.
again like Hankjay I'm on a wired connection that is a 4 ft run to the router then another six inch run to the modem.
I'm not an expert on these things like others here but if it fails and works if you exit the content....that sounds like either a buffering issue with your network (or the network card is dying in the player) or possibly a problem with on-board memory. If I were you, I'd clear out the memory on the player, turn it off, unplug it, plug it back in, turn it back on. It probably won't help but you never know.

Honestly, I'd buy another player. I have this model on a TV that rarely gets used. Newer players are maybe around $120.
post #193 of 213 Old 07-24-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster man View Post

Does anyone know if they 're done with firmware updates for this player? I'd like to know if I can delete my bookmark...
From what I've seen the past several years on many makes and models, updates usually end within 2 years of introduction, which this model has passed. There can be exceptions though. Since the player notifies you of new updates anyway, there is no point in monitoring this thread.

Mattbatt, my internet speed is similar to yours and has no Open Connect, yet I get 1080p at the highest possible bitrate on all my Sony players without fail. I would look at router or cable issues. Believe it or not, because of signal reflections, there is a minimum patch cable length requirement for ethernet. So that 6" cable could possibly be a problem, but not if your PC speed test looks good. Could be a hardware failure in the player too. The Sony server bottleneck theory may also be valid but unlikely IMO. Their latest players go directly to the Netflix servers. FWIW, I just picked up a couple of like-new Sony 1100's from Amazon for about $50 each shipped. They play Netflix beautifully and have a much better interface than the old x80 series.
post #194 of 213 Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 AM

Yeah it's not a modem or router problem because I've replaced both within the last year and the problem persists. I have even installed OpenWRT on my router to get rid of the Buffer-Bloat problem. I'm gonna try to learn how to use wireshark so that I can do some more investigating.
post #195 of 213 Old 07-25-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbatt View Post

Yeah it's not a modem or router problem because I've replaced both within the last year and the problem persists. I have even installed OpenWRT on my router to get rid of the Buffer-Bloat problem. I'm gonna try to learn how to use wireshark so that I can do some more investigating.
Check out the thread below. Seems a couple of guys were having a similar issue which was ultimately fixed on Netflix's end after talking to Netflix support.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1089285/netflix-streaming-quality/2670#post_23549571
post #196 of 213 Old 07-27-2013, 01:25 AM

The difference is that they are having troubles on their computer my computer is streaming HD fine it's just the blu-ray player in the Living room.
post #197 of 213 Old 08-25-2013, 02:42 PM

I am a novice and have never watched Netflix on my TV. I have a 2 year old Sony Blu Ray DVD Player Model BDP-BX38. I am interested in signing up for Netflix because I've heard good things about them and the monthly price is right. I have looked through the Sony Operating Instruction book that came with my DVD (dated 2011) but not sure what I'm looking for to know if this will work or not ??

I rarely watch movies on the DVD player and don't want to buy another one. I have heard about something called a streaming device but hoping I can subscribe to Netflix without having to buy anything new.

I am tech challenged so please answer as if you were talking to a young child.
Thanks very much !!
post #198 of 213 Old 08-25-2013, 02:48 PM

Liked: 32
Enjoy Full HD1080p Blu-ray Disc™ movies3
plus connect to the internet
and stream a wide variety of online entertainment including movies,
TV episodes, videos, music, and live sports from Netflix®, YouTube™,
HuluPlus™, Pandora®, and more1
with the Sony® smart Blu-ray Disc
Player - BDP-BX38. You can also turn your iPhone®, iPad® or compatible
Android™ phone into a versatile remote control with search functionality
when you download the free “Media Remote” app.2

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/BDPBX38_mksp.pdf

Now if it can play DD+, this is a list of all Sony Blu-Ray players and their capabilities with Netflix https://help.netflix.com/article/en/node/443?ba=GSButtonClick&q=bdp-bx38
post #199 of 213 Old 08-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Welcome to AVS. Which Blu-ray model are you using?

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #200 of 213 Old 08-25-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In case you missed it, Marlyn, the answer is yes.
post #201 of 213 Old 08-25-2013, 04:41 PM

My model is Sony Model BDP-BX38. I'm so pleased to read that it will work. I do have a smart phone but sure never considered using it as a remote...hmmm.

Do I need to change "settings" and set up my DVD a certain way? I ask because at the time my Time Warner cable man hooked up the TV he also hooked up my DVD. If he asked if I intended to use it for anything other than watching movies (can't remember if he asked) I would have said emphaticlly NO. This is all new to me!

Thanks again so much for your help everyone. Very appreciated.
post #202 of 213 Old 08-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I will be moving your post to the owner's thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1316257/sony-bdp-s380

You should be able to find everything you need there.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #203 of 213 Old 08-25-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlyn View Post

My model is Sony Model BDP-BX38. I'm so pleased to read that it will work. I do have a smart phone but sure never considered using it as a remote...hmmm.

Do I need to change "settings" and set up my DVD a certain way? I ask because at the time my Time Warner cable man hooked up the TV he also hooked up my DVD. If he asked if I intended to use it for anything other than watching movies (can't remember if he asked) I would have said emphaticlly NO. This is all new to me!

Thanks again so much for your help everyone. Very appreciated.
You'll have to connect a network cable from your router to your DVD. If you don't have a router or don't know what a router is, you'll have to do some homework and buy and install one before you can watch Netflix or use your phone as a remote.
post #204 of 213 Old 12-04-2013, 10:11 AM

Does this player read DVDR DL discs? DL is not listed in the manual for playable discs.... I have a 5.5GB MKV file processed with TsMuxer, (blu-ray/avchd folders created), burned with Imgburn to a DL disc. It's not playable. I split the MKV file, processed it and burned it to DVD-RWs; it plays.

Are there recommendations for a blu-ray player that 'does' play DL AVCHD discs? In advance thank you.
post #205 of 213 Old 12-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1731 Post(s)
Liked: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by radunn View Post

Does this player read DVDR DL discs? DL is not listed in the manual for playable discs.... I have a 5.5GB MKV file processed with TsMuxer, (blu-ray/avchd folders created), burned with Imgburn to a DL disc. It's not playable. I split the MKV file, processed it and burned it to DVD-RWs; it plays.

Are there recommendations for a blu-ray player that 'does' play DL AVCHD discs? In advance thank you.

Dual-layer discs are the industry standard for Blu-ray movie releases. It has to be some other issue.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #206 of 213 Old 12-05-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Dual-layer discs are the industry standard for Blu-ray movie releases. It has to be some other issue.
I cannot dispute with you because I do not know enough about the various formats. Here's a quote from the manual: > "Playable discs
Blu-ray
Disc*1
BD-ROM
BD-R*2/BD-RE*2
DVD*3 DVD-ROM
DVD-R/DVD-RW
DVD+R/DVD+RW
CD*3 CD-DA (Music CD)
CD-ROM
CD-R/CD-RW"
As you can see DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL is not listed that might explain the issue with playback . Do you know any players that are?
post #207 of 213 Old 02-18-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

My player popped up a message saying there is a firmware update available. A bit surprised given that it's about 2 years out of production. I tried to check the web page, but not only is not not listed yet, there is NO firmware available for download, not even the older firmware. Pages for my other BD player (and S370) still lists firmware, so it's not a browser or other issue.

post #208 of 213 Old 02-23-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

The M06.R.0629 firmware update is now available on-line:
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS380&SelectOS=28
Quote:
This utility upgrades the Blu-ray Disc™ player firmware to version M06.R.0629 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version M06.R.0624:

Improves BD-ROM playability
Improves BRAVIA® Internet Video playability

post #209 of 213 Old 04-01-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quick question. I know this player only does 2.0 via Netflix, but how about via Amazon? Can you get 5.1 for Amazon Instant?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #210 of 213 Old 07-05-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you andyross,
I never dreamed they'd have an upgrade for the antique (BXP-38.) Dutifully upgraded to .0629.
I see they are claiming "Improves BD-ROM playability."

Here's my story.
I bought the BDP-BX38 several years ago without knowing that it had no capability to stream closed captioned subtitles. Took me a while to realize this.
So I bought a nice Sony BDP-S1100 and happily got the subtitles and I relegated the BXP-38 to the closet while continuing to use an old Toshiba with an excellent upscaler on the older bedroom TV.
Then I even read from Netflix that the BX38 was only capable of 720p and I thought "Wow the bedroom TV is native 720!)
So I switched it out thinking now I could get "real" HD in the bedroom.
Problem 1: The old Magnavox TV has only one HDMI input and that is for the cable. So the BD-38 needed the spaghetti of 5 component cables. Ok...I can live with that.
Problem 2: Blu-Ray of LEGEND OF HERCULES arrives and I decide to watch in bed: TV says it is getting 480i ???
I tried every imaginable setting even setting DVR output to 720p. Same 480i???

Any guesses why a Blu-Ray would play in 480i? Is it possible that this Blu-Ray player cannot output high definition via component cables. I guess when I get the BD disc, if the problem repeats, I'll try outputting the Blu-Ray player via HDMI. If that doesn't work, back in the closet it goes. I guess it's POSSIBLE that Netflix might have mistakenly put a regular DVD into the Blu-Ray sleeve???

So now, after the update, I popped in an old OLD porn sampler and lo and behold, it outputted 480p. I know that's not HD but it is an improvement over 480i so maybe there's light at the end of this tunnel.

Anyways, I was glad to get the upgrade and I should be mailed a Blu-Ray disc by Tuesday to see if the problem has gone away.

Any suggestions anybody.

(I know it's not interesting to talk about this antique equipment .)

Last edited by zip2play; 07-05-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony , Sony Brand , Sony Corp , Sony Corporation , Sony Electronics , Sony Blu Ray Dvd Player Bdp S380 , Bdp S380 Blu Ray Disc Player 1080p Black , Sony Bdp S380 Blu Ray Disc Player Black
Gear in this thread - S380 by PriceGrabber.com