Marvell's Kyoto-G2 processor with Qdeo™(BDP-93) vs VRS™ by Anchor Bay(BDP-83) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My apologies if this was discussed before. Just a quick one.

Simple and short. Which is a better processor for DVD video playback?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-19-2011, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I have both, and with PAL DVDs the 93 is significantly better than the 83 - its well-worth having. I'm a big fan of Qdeo processing, having had the Pio 09 and LG 200. VRS never quite did it for me. It trips up more often, adds more artifacts, and has a more processed look to it. I think its a combination of both the deinterlacing and the scaling (which over-does the detail enhancement IMHO). I have a suspicion that the 83 fares a bit better with 60Hz video than it does with 50Hz, though.

Nick
post #3 of 5 Old 02-19-2011, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Nick. Do you have any idea if the Qdeo video processing or DVD upconversion/scaling in the 93 will work with analog component outputs? If not, will the Qdeo processing work with a HDMI-DVI cable(HDMI connected at the 93 and DVI connected at the projector end)? Reason is my current projector only has DVI and component inputs. I plan to use the projector for a while until I scrap it for a HD unit with HDMI input.

Thanks.

Michael
post #4 of 5 Old 02-19-2011, 05:38 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder_78 View Post

Thanks Nick. Do you have any idea if the Qdeo video processing or DVD upconversion/scaling in the 93 will work with analog component outputs? If not, will the Qdeo processing work with a HDMI-DVI cable(HDMI connected at the 93 and DVI connected at the projector end)? Reason is my current projector only has DVI and component inputs. I plan to use the projector for a while until I scrap it for a HD unit with HDMI input.

Thanks.

Michael

Neither the BDP-83 or -93 use the video processor for component output; both use a Mediatek decoder chip for that. HDMI and HDMI->DVI are handled the same: the video processor is used on both players.

ABT VRS and Qdeo are different but I am not able to say one is always better than the other for DVD. Qdeo adds new sharpening and noise reduction controls, but those are mostly for low quality sources like Netflix. (Some people do use them for discs).

If it hadn't been for the need to support Netflix, etc, I suspect OPPO would have stayed with ABT VRS.

-Bill
post #5 of 5 Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Bill. It was much appreciated.

The unofficial Oppo FAQ links located at the bottom of your page are very useful and thorough. They pretty much cover everything that I wanted to know, and more. Incredible wealth of information on this wonderful site.

Cheers.

Michael
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page