List of Blu Ray players with component output and discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I am looking for a unit for a family member but am running into a problem on outputs. Apparently as a result of the 'analog sunset' rule, no units made after December 31, 2010 can contain hd analog video outputs. The TV the blu ray would hook up to is an older unit with only one hdmi port which is already in use. Sure I could use a hdmi switch box but I would rather keep it simple. So...my quesiton is......despite the sunset rule....are there any 2011sets that have component outputs?

I know the new panasonic units do not. There is little info on the new samsungs (one website listed the bd-d6500 with component) . Since the unit is mostly for netflix....I really want a unit like the samsung that has the newer netflix interface.

Do I grab 2010 model like the bd-c6500 will I still can?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 02-21-2011, 02:14 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by newz54 View Post

I am looking for a unit for a family member but am running into a problem on outputs. Apparently as a result of the 'analog sunset' rule, no units made after December 31, 2010 can contain hd analog video outputs. The TV the blu ray would hook up to is an older unit with only one hdmi port which is already in use. Sure I could use a hdmi switch box but I would rather keep it simple. So...my quesiton is......despite the sunset rule....are there any 2011sets that have component outputs?

I know the new panasonic units do not. There is little info on the new samsungs (one website listed the bd-d6500 with component) . Since the unit is mostly for netflix....I really want a unit like the samsung that has the newer netflix interface.

Do I grab 2010 model like the bd-c6500 will I still can?

The OPPO BDP-93 and -95 have pre-sunset component video. I don't know how the Netflix interface rates compared to other players.

-Bill
post #3 of 53 Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been very close to purchasing an Oppo BDP-93, due its exceptional playback quality but I have a few reservations now, since doing some more research. One, does it have full Netflix catalog search capability? Still trying to figure this out. Second, I think it DOES fall within the analog sunset rules. Below is some confusing wording straight from the owners manual that I found online. Comments?

When the Primary Output option in the Video Setup section of the Setup menu is set to HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 (see page 52 for details), the component video connection will not output video when playing a Blu-ray Disc with 1080p 24Hz content, or will only output video with a low resolution (480i/576i) when playing a DVD. This is not a malfunction. You must set Primary Output to Analog in order to properly use the component video connection.
When playing a Blu-ray Disc, video resolution over the component output can be up to 1080i. 1080p content will be interlaced into 1080i signal for the component output.
Video up-conversion over the component output is only available for unencrypted discs such as home video and consumer-created contents. Most commercially pressed DVD discs are CSSencrypted and will be limited to 480i/480p resolution. This restriction applies to the component output only. The HDMI output is protected with HDCP and has no such restriction.[/i][/i]
post #4 of 53 Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 314
The second and third points are true of every blu-ray player ever made, pre- and post- sunset.

The first point is probably the case with every blu-ray player as well. You usually have some sort of analog priority setting so the player knows if you want HD on component or not.

Like most players, Oppo doesn't have full search Netflix AFAIK. You should check the owner's thread to confirm. Insignia, Samsung and game consoles do. FWIW, I find search on a blu-ray player very tedious to use. I prefer to do it on a PC even though I have players with that capability.

Bottom line is no matter what player you get, old or new, high-end or low-end, it will not upconvert commercial DVDs over component, period.
post #5 of 53 Old 02-27-2011, 10:51 AM

My concerns for #2, pre/post sunset rules were over whether the oppo bdp-93 restricts component output resolution to 480p. From the manual, what is "limited" appears to be with regard to upconversion; but I suspected that this description was in the wrong bullet point. For Blu-ray over component, it says resolution "can be" up to 1080i. Interesting choice of words. Closely reading the specs on the Oppo website, my suspicions are confirmed about sunset restrictions: "Analog Video: Composite, Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr, 480i/480p, 720p/1080i available for non-restricted content only)." So, for commercial videos, component output is restricted to 480p.
post #6 of 53 Old 02-27-2011, 10:59 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_MC View Post

My concerns for #2, pre/post sunset rules were over whether the oppo bdp-93 restricts component output resolution to 480p. From the manual, what is "limited" appears to be with regard to upconversion; but I suspected that this description was in the wrong bullet point. For Blu-ray over component, it says resolution "can be" up to 1080i. Interesting choice of words. Closely reading the specs on the Oppo website, my suspicions are confirmed about sunset restrictions: "Analog Video: Composite, Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr, 480i/480p, 720p/1080i available for non-restricted content only)." So, for commercial videos, component output is restricted to 480p.

That covers the Image Constraint Token. All BR players have been required to honor ICT on BR since day 1. (It's possible some haven't done it).

On discs without ICT (which is most everything until now) the player produces 1080i over component.

-Bill
post #7 of 53 Old 02-27-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Just get a 2010 model so you can watch in 1080i, lot's to choose from:
Sony S570
LG BD570
LG BD590
post #8 of 53 Old 02-27-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_MC View Post

So, for commercial videos, component output is restricted to 480p.

What Bill and I are saying is this has been true of every blu-ray player forever. It has nothing to do with the sunset rules or oppo.
post #9 of 53 Old 03-16-2011, 08:24 PM

I have the new Samsung d6500 and it has two sets of component outputs as well as HDMI.

Nice player and the built-in wifi works good.

This is not a high end player, but does everything relatively well.
post #10 of 53 Old 03-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

Just get a 2010 model so you can watch in 1080i, lot's to choose from:
Sony S570
LG BD570
LG BD590

Are you sure about LG's? I have the BD530 and it won't output 1080i through component. I had to go out and get Sony BD player that did. I am not completely sold on Sony BD player. I'd jump on LG if LG outputs 1080i via component. I just assumed that since BD530 didn't, other LG players wouldn't either.
post #11 of 53 Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Are you sure about LG's? I have the BD530 and it won't output 1080i through component. I had to go out and get Sony BD player that did. I am not completely sold on Sony BD player. I'd jump on LG if LG outputs 1080i via component. I just assumed that since BD530 didn't, other LG players wouldn't either.

LG 530 Specs:
Digital/Analog Conversion 162MHz/12bitNTSC
Hz60HzDeep Color (HDMI™) Yes
x.v.Color (HDMI™) Yes
Composite Output 480i
Component Output Up to 1080i
HDMI™ Output Up to 1080p (24 & 60Hz).

It also supports DVD upscaling. I don't have one of these but every player I have which supports upscaling provides 1080i from its component output. This includes DVD as well as BD players.

If it isn't 720p or 1080i/p it isn't HD. If it is 720p or 1080i/p it may not be HD content.
post #12 of 53 Old 03-18-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

... yeah, but the fine print in the manual says it won't play DVD or BD protected content at anything greater than 480i over component. It seems LG jumped the gun on the sunset like Apostate said.

I don't understand your comment about upscaling. No player upscales commercial DVDs over component, pre- or post-sunset. If you're seeing something different, please post the model numbers, because that's very rare.
post #13 of 53 Old 06-27-2011, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I nearly bought a 2011 player until I heard that they all have reduced quality signals coming from the component output. That's a pretty disingenous way to treat customers to force them to upgrade perfectly good TVs. Our plasma does not have hdmi inputs, but it works fine and I have no immediate plans to upgrade. CNET has a useful chart, but they don't track which 2010 players might also have this "feature" so I can avoid them.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...=0&output=html

Can anyone confirm which ones in the 2010 list don't have the bonus feature of ****** component outs?
post #14 of 53 Old 06-28-2011, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 93

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #15 of 53 Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 PM

On a separate thread I posted:
Quote:

I am considering purchasing a Blu-ray player even though I have an older plasma display: a Pioneer 503CMX which does not have HDMI and does not support HDCP. It has the 5002 card which includes component inputs. The display works great and I love it. I cannot justify purchasing an HDMI display at this point, not until the Pio goes bad. Still I would like to view the better PQ offered by Blu-ray by purchasing a Blu-ray player with component outputs.

On an older thread here at AVS I saw that ICT and DOT will soon be added to BD titles. It said:

ICT will force downgrade to 480p over component.
DOT will disable output over component, vga, or any other non protected output (S-video, composite, non HDCP DVI).

So this put a real damper on my plans.

Have we started to see ICT or DOT on Blu-ray discs yet? Are they definitely coming soon?

Star56 responded:

Quote:

No and No. Nothing to worry about for the foreseeable future.

Then IanD responded:

Quote:

An HDfury should solve any future ICT or DOT issues.

So I wanted to get opinions of folks in this thread.. Star56 seems to think that ICT is still a ways off, but in this thread I see:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

On discs without ICT (which is most everything until now) the player produces 1080i over component.

I have heard both, that newer Blu-ray discs do have ICT and that they don't, is there any solid info as to what is happening with this protocol flag?

As a follow up, how will an HDFury help resolve this issue?

thanks...
post #16 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 AM

I'm looking for a a Blu-Ray player that has component output.

I am looking for just a basic player, no WiFi, No DNLA, no streaming, no Netflix. Just a good, reliable fast player with component out. I understand the ITC issue will prohibit *some* movies from playing on my component outputs, but I am willing to accept that.

Thanks.

I have been looking through the forum for several hours and can't get a difinitive answer.

Jason Gottschalk
post #17 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 128
You'll have to find a model from last year. Good luck. Sony, Panasonic, and of course the Oppo 93 was released prior to the sunset.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #18 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 08:52 AM

ah, this is why my samsung bd-d5500 would keep reverting to 480 in component. Thanks.
post #19 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veech View Post

I have heard both, that newer Blu-ray discs do have ICT and that they don't, is there any solid info as to what is happening with this protocol flag?

No, there is no solid info. ICT is supposed to marked on disc packaging and no one has seen an example yet. For a while I suspected THE LAST OF MOHICANS had it, but now I'm not sure. Either the disc version changed between the time of my rental and purchase, or new firmware changed my player's behavior, or I screwed up my testing. But other people also reported ICT-like behavior on that disk last year.

Quote:
As a follow up, how will an HDFury help resolve this issue?

It's a device that accepts HDMI as input and produces component video as output, negating the security measures. Meaning any HDMI player can be used with a component display.

-Bill
post #20 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

You'll have to find a model from last year. Good luck. Sony, Panasonic, and of course the Oppo 93 was released prior to the sunset.

S~

That's the trick. It's an awful task to try and find basic details on the different units in the forums.

Can anyone offer a make and model that loads at a decent speed, does NOT have wifi and does have component out?

Jason Gottschalk
post #21 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 12:50 PM

The Sony BDP-Bx38 seems to fit the bill. Can someone confirm it will play 1080 out through the Component jacks?

The manual says:

1. 1080p playback requires HDMI™ cable (sold separately) and HDTV
with equivalent display capability.

Jason Gottschalk
post #22 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

No, there is no solid info. ICT is supposed to marked on disc packaging and no one has seen an example yet. For a while I suspected THE LAST OF MOHICANS had it, but now I'm not sure. Either the disc version changed between the time of my rental and purchase, or new firmware changed my player's behavior, or I screwed up my testing. But other people also reported ICT-like behavior on that disk last year.

(HDFury) It's a device that accepts HDMI as input and produces component video as output, negating the security measures. Meaning any HDMI player can be used with a component display.

-Bill

Thanks Bill. Wow would it really be as simple as buying an HDFury? Any downside to the HDFury?
post #23 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks Bill. Wow would it really be as simple as buying an HDFury? Any downside to the HDFury?

I have an HDFury3, Caouldn't get by without it now. It's the llama's pajamas.

The only downside I have with it is the cords are short and it is hard to find a home for it, and it gets very hot.

I would really like to dbl stick tape it to a shelf or another peice of equipment, but the heat scares me.

Jason Gottschalk
post #24 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Forgive me for I have searched here and elsewhere. I am tired....

I need these 3 options. blu-ray-component-Amazon Prime stream

Blu-ray with component out, nothing fancy since I'm going component.

Need streaming, not Amazon VOD, but the free stream for signing on to Prime. My Roku can stream Amazon, but need a new disk player, so may as well combine for more options later.

Thank you for any suggestions.
post #25 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Try to find a player that was manufactured last year, they will have component out such as the Panasonic models 85,300,350.
post #26 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

Try to find a player that was manufactured last year, they will have component out such as the Panasonic models 85,300,350.

Thanks. I may be confused as to what plays the "Prime Instant Video" stream as Amazon likes to call it. I have TiVo that can download Amazon VOD(also known as Amazon Instant Video), but cannot stream Prime Instant Video.

I do not see on any Blu-Ray machine ad mention of Amazon Prime Instant Video. Is it safe to assume if the machine provides "Amazon Instant Video" is also provides "Prime Instant Video"? Damn, this gets confusing.

Because TiVo hasn't yet implemented Prime Instant Video, I looking to make sure any BluRay player I buy does. Thanks.
post #27 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasGot View Post

I have an HDFury3, Caouldn't get by without it now. It's the llama's pajamas.

The only downside I have with it is the cords are short and it is hard to find a home for it, and it gets very hot.

I would really like to dbl stick tape it to a shelf or another peice of equipment, but the heat scares me.

wow, amazing.. this may be the solution I am looking for. I assume ICT and DOT won't be an issue then?

Is there any place recommended to buy it? Can't find it on Amazon.

thanks again!
post #28 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:

wow, amazing.. this may be the solution I am looking for. I assume ICT and DOT won't be an issue then?

Is there any place recommended to buy it? Can't find it on Amazon.

thanks again!

You can buy from HDFURY.COM

Because the Fury3 defeats the copy protection, there are no more resellers in the US. Jailtime seemed to scare them off.

You can read this thread in its entirety for more info:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewt...asc&highlight=

Jason Gottschalk
post #29 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasGot View Post

You can buy from HDFURY.COM

Because the Fury3 defeats the copy protection, there are no more resellers in the US. Jailtime seemed to scare them off.

You can read this thread in its entirety for more info:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewt...asc&highlight=

Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea. wow...
post #30 of 53 Old 08-07-2011, 05:56 PM

I've been looking for a player that will output at 1080i through component. I've found a few that have component outputs, but I've heard even those only out put 480i when hooked through component. Any idea where I can track one down that still will output at 1080i or 720p through component(preferably new)?

Edit: oops, guess I should have searched the topics more thoroughly first. Thanks for the quick move though.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd D6500 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - D6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page