post #271 of 2320 Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys.. long time no post here..
but I have several questions.
I read all of this and the 590 thread.
I bought an Open box 590 and had every issue that was described in the other thread.. HOWEVER.. it would play me and my GFs 1080p .mp4 "adult clips" but would stutter horribly..
I returned it and bought the 670 last night.
and while the entire thing is pretty much light years ahead of the 590 it seems at least in overall performance, it will NOT play those files at all.
it gives the "Resolution is not supported message" I tried putting them on a USB HD and it still will not open the file at all.
kinda disappointed as My library is 6 terabytes (no its not all "adult" lol) in size and converting to other formats is out of the question for such a large amount of data.

Format: MP4 Quality: HD 1080p. Video: 1920x1080 29.97fp 10000kbps

this is what they are formatted as.

Now.. is there any workaround at all here?
If I were to buy the updated version of the MediaHome software with transcoding capabilities does that work?

Also 1 other question.. anyone else notice that Netflix does not seem to be as sharp and clear as it does on say the Xbox360? I tried multiple HD streams last night through the new player and they just didn't seem to be really in HD.
looked far worse than non HD should.
where on the 360 is was clear and sharp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2320 Old 04-06-2011, 10:56 AM

Liked: 32
I would contact MediaHome and ask your question. Or you could buy a video card for your computer that outputs HDMI and connect that to your TV. Have you tried the Panasonic models yet?

I have not tried these, just suggestions. The Panasonic suggestion may or may not work, my BD65 has USB input ability. I do not use the player for much more than the rare BD viewing in my bedroom and primarily the streaming abilities.

As for the LG, I have the BD570 and think the Netflix HD streaming is gorgeous and well deserved to carry the HD moniker IMO. It sounds as if your issue might lie with your ISP though I never heard of 'soft' video but instead choppy or blocky video from low bandwidth.

I stopped by BB last nite and looked at the new LG and Panasoinc models and [for me] I don't see the appeal beyond 3D capability over the previous years models. But then again my LG does everything I want it for and does it VERY well in my setup.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for. Nothing wrong with 'adult' flicks. But like you, I am surprised it won't play MP4.
post #273 of 2320 Old 04-06-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

I would contact MediaHome and ask your question. Or you could buy a video card for your computer that outputs HDMI and connect that to your TV. Have you tried the Panasonic models yet?

I have not tried these, just suggestions. The Panasonic suggestion may or may not work, my BD65 has USB input ability. I do not use the player for much more than the rare BD viewing in my bedroom and primarily the streaming abilities.

As for the LG, I have the BD570 and think the Netflix HD streaming is gorgeous and well deserved to carry the HD moniker IMO. It sounds as if your issue might lie with your ISP though I never heard of 'soft' video but instead choppy or blocky video from low bandwidth.

I stopped by BB last nite and looked at the new LG and Panasoinc models and [for me] I don't see the appeal beyond 3D capability over the previous years models. But then again my LG does everything I want it for and does it VERY well in my setup.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for. Nothing wrong with 'adult' flicks. But like you, I am surprised it won't play MP4.

Yeh we have it HDMI out from the media/game computer already but eventually this machine will get moved to the game room as it's a full sized gaming tower with a GTX 580 in it. Not to mention it's also a pain in the ass to have to put the remotes down.. get up.. turn on the monitors set it to the TV and then set a play list in WMP when it should be as easy as hitting movie.. network.. and the file you want..
that's why I upgraded my old BR player in the first place.. and wanted the LG as we use LG panels and keeps the remote count down.

The Netflix issue is more of it doesn't look HD at all.. bad textures and very low res. even on HD titles..
the x360 also wireless has no issues at all streaming gorgeous HD Netflix... and it gives you a network readout before it plays the movie with the quality you can expect right there..
so with the x360 its showing 5 bars and HD and it looks like it..
With the 670 it never tells you anything like that just the red loading bar and then straight into the content.

this is on Comcast 50mb down premium package. and the entire house is wireless including the media server with up to date Linksys N routers and adapters including the X360.

Oh and just to specify.. the Panel is a LG 120HZ LED 42. so its not a TV issue and the 360 is also HDMI into the TV as well.
With sound being offlinked via TOSLINK to an older speaker setup.
post #274 of 2320 Old 04-06-2011, 02:01 PM

Ok Spoke with Nero support.
they say that the BD 670 should fully support the full version of MediaHome 4 and the transcoding feature I flat used the .MP4 example and he said the software should transcode it perfectly for the LG BD 670.

So guess I'll try it later..
post #275 of 2320 Old 04-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVSiN View Post

HOWEVER.. it would play me and my GFs 1080p .mp4 "adult clips" but would stutter horribly.

You should upload a sample just so we can make sure it works fine for us, too.

lol but to answer what you said about Netflix... Having both this year's LG model, an Xbox 360, and having last year's LG model... All of the HD content looks the same. I definitely can't say that I prefer one over the other. It's probable that your LG player just isn't streaming your HD clips in HD, for some unknown reason.
post #276 of 2320 Old 04-06-2011, 02:32 PM

Ok just got off of chat with LG.

They said .MP4 compatibility is a 590/690 thing only..
wow I didn't catch that one.. that's kinda a biggy...
but here is the transcript.
he also was semi wishy washy about the Transcode working or not as well.

4:13 PM noris: Hello Guest. Welcome to LG Electronics! How may I provide you with excellent service today?
4:14 PM Guest: Noris, I would like to ask a video question about the BD 670 BR player
4:14 PM noris: I will be more than happy to assist you
4:15 PM Guest: I bought it last night and had the 590 previously. On the 590 I was able to play .mp4 files at 1080p resolution. On the new 670 I can see them but when I try to run them it gives me an resolution unsopported error
4:15 PM Guest: same exact file.. i tried it locally and over the network
4:16 PM Guest: is this an issue? and would the Full version of Nero MediaHome4 with its built in transcodign feature solve this?
4:16 PM Guest: I talked to Nero support and they beleive it will..
4:17 PM noris: Yes it would probably fix it
4:18 PM Guest: so the 670 will support the transcoding feature of the software.. I know your company really likes the nero software.. I just want to make sure before spending the extra cash
4:18 PM noris: ok it does say here MP3
4:18 PM Guest: yeh its not music its 1080p video
4:18 PM Guest: but the prevuious year supported it
4:18 PM Guest: so kinda strange
4:18 PM noris: the other model
4:18 PM noris: yes
4:18 PM Guest: BD 590
4:19 PM noris: But htis model says mp4 format supported through DNLA
4:19 PM Guest: yah i read that too what does that mean exactly? thats what im trying to use it
4:19 PM Guest: through DLNA
4:19 PM Guest: so it should work nativly right?
4:20 PM Guest: i tried it wirelessly wired and local..
4:20 PM Guest: all gave the resolution not supported
4:21 PM noris: Im sorry MP3 is supported only
4:21 PM Guest: ok..
4:21 PM noris: It says on the specs
4:21 PM Guest: so you do think if i were to buy the software with the transcoder..
4:21 PM noris: I got confused sorry
4:21 PM Guest: it will give me a workaround
4:22 PM noris: probably I really don't want to tell you that yes and then it will not work.
4:22 PM Guest: ok gotcha.. and Understand your position.. now does the top of the line 690 support MP4 this year?
4:22 PM Guest: I could take it back and get it.. but didnt really need the Hard drive..
4:23 PM noris: I will check for you
4:25 PM noris: yes that one definitely has mp4 capability
4:25 PM Guest: ok that may be worth the extra money to me lol.. thank you Noris i guess that capability was for the top end players only..
4:26 PM Guest: appreciate you looking into it
4:26 PM noris: Correct.
4:26 PM noris: You are welcome

BD690
Blu-ray™ Disc, BD-R/RE, DVD, DVD±R/RW, Audio CD, CD-R/RW
Video Content Format
DivX®/DivX HD, MPEG4 AVC, HP@L4.1, MPEG2, HP@ML, SMPTE VC1, AP@L3, MPEG2, HP@ML, AVCHD, MKV
Home Link Playable Content Format
DivX®/DivX HD, MPEG2 TS/PS, MPEG1 SS, XVID, MKV, AVI, WMA, MP3, AC3, AAC, JPEG, PNG

BD670
Disc Playback Capability
Blu-ray™ Disc, BD-R/RE, DVD, DVD±R/RW, Audio CD, CD-R/RW
Video Content Format
DivX®/DivX HD, MPEG4 AVC, HP@L4.1, MPEG2, HP@ML, SMPTE VC1, AP@L3, MPEG2, HP@ML, AVCHD, MKV
Home Link Playable Content Format
DivX®/DivX HD, MPEG2 TS/PS, MPEG1 SS, XVID, MKV, AVI, WMA, MP3, AC3, AAC, JPEG, PNG

I dont know about you... but that list looks EXACT to me..
another tech full of it? but then again the 590 did play it..
post #277 of 2320 Old 04-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

If I read your first post correctly, the 590 played the clips, but stuttered horribly? I guess that's why they went with an error message for the 6xx series, instead.

You said that the bitrate on your file was 10000kbps? Can you try re-encoding it with a lower bitrate, just to see if that's the reason for the problem? That would probably fix the stuttering on the 590, but since the 6xx is giving you an error message, I can't be confident in saying that it will fix it - but it's worth a try.
post #278 of 2320 Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post

If I read your first post correctly, the 590 played the clips, but stuttered horribly? I guess that's why they went with an error message for the 6xx series, instead.

You said that the bitrate on your file was 10000kbps? Can you try re-encoding it with a lower bitrate, just to see if that's the reason for the problem? That would probably fix the stuttering on the 590, but since the 6xx is giving you an error message, I can't be confident in saying that it will fix it - but it's worth a try.

yah the 590 at least tried to play it however I had massive wireless issues with the open box 590 I had.. So I returned it last night after I saw Frys had the 670 for 162 could not pass that up.. price matched it back to bestbuy and boom I have a 2011 3d capable unit for a under a 2010 price.

It very may well have been network buffering..
it would play super smooth.. then buffer/stutter than smooth for another few secs.. I never did try to play locally on the HD or via a USB device.
it very well may have played it perfectly.

I just knew I had wireless issues and was going to return it either way for another 590 they had.. but decided after reading the other forum all the issues that were fixed with the newer models.
and the instant boot and new interface are SOOO much better.
as is the networking.

I guess i could try lowering the bit rate. these are just standard downloads from several big name sites that are all HD now.. but 1 is using the .mp4 and the other is using .f4v which is not supported at all by these players..

Wish the sites would just go back to .wmv or .avi in HD.
post #279 of 2320 Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 PM

Ok further testing done.. regular non HD .MP4s do play just fine.. dont get it..

not sure if I want to buy the program though if it really is a resolution issue it prolly wont fix anything.
post #280 of 2320 Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
not sure if I want to buy the program though...
I really doubt that program will make a difference. What operating system are you using?
post #281 of 2320 Old 04-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Ok further testing done.. regular non HD .MP4s do play just fine.. dont get it..

not sure if I want to buy the program though if it really is a resolution issue it prolly wont fix anything.
As reported in my initial review (near the beginning of this thread) I had a similar issue with some .M2TS files that I tested on my BD670. Like you, I received a warning that the resolution was unsupported with those files (which were also 1080P resolution). I also have a BD570, which plays the same files back fine. On the BD670, it didn't matter whether I tried to stream it or play it directly from a USB flash drive. I suspect some file types are being intentionally blocked as an anti-piracy tactic (much like the disabling of .VOB files that occurred with later BD570 firmware updates and the disabling of high resolution component video output).

That having been said, others have reported success with 1080p .mkv files, so it's not all 1080p files that are unsupported.

It could be a combination of factors that determine whether a given file will play or not (wrapper, encoding profile, resolution, etc.)

I wouldn't expect the DLNA software you use to make a difference in your playback results unless it's transcoding the video to another format that the player supports.
post #282 of 2320 Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 AM

Coming apps? FWIW...
post #283 of 2320 Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 AM
M4P

Quote:

Ok just got off of chat with LG.

They said .MP4 compatibility is a 590/690 thing only..
wow I didn't catch that one.. that's kinda a biggy...
but here is the transcript.

I have the BD570 and have no problems at all playing .MP4 files, so I don't know what that rep was talking about. I use DLNA and also use a great app called TVMobili. I found that TVMobili works much better than Nero, so you might want to try it, and it's free.

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
post #284 of 2320 Old 04-07-2011, 11:38 PM

I just picked up the LG BD670 and I am very happy with its performance so far. I have tried so many different items that claim to support MKV, DIVX, WMA etc and have always been unhappy with the poor performance, or general lack of quality in the picture. Not so with the BD670, it is playing all of my files flawlessly, and the audio quality and picture quality is amazing! I am streaming them from my DLNA NAS boxes, and the load times are acceptable. Thanks to everyone on here that has been giving so much feedback about this device.

My only surprise was the default setting for the HDMI and Optical audio was set to stereo, which doesnt make any sense. I changed this to pass-thru and got the 192k PCM soundstream, which sounds great.

Heh, just noticed I have been a member since 2008 and only just now made my first post.
post #285 of 2320 Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXGeek
I just picked up the LG BD670 and I am very happy with its performance so far. I have tried so many different items that claim to support MKV, DIVX, WMA etc and have always been unhappy with the poor performance, or general lack of quality in the picture. Not so with the BD670, it is playing all of my files flawlessly, and the audio quality and picture quality is amazing! I am streaming them from my DLNA NAS boxes, and the load times are acceptable. Thanks to everyone on here that has been giving so much feedback about this device.

My only surprise was the default setting for the HDMI and Optical audio was set to stereo, which doesnt make any sense. I changed this to pass-thru and got the 192k PCM soundstream, which sounds great.

Heh, just noticed I have been a member since 2008 and only just now made my first post.
Does it do dts hd master audio on ur blurry rips from USB drive or streaming? Does it accept ntfs file system hard drive?
post #286 of 2320 Old 04-08-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
Does it accept ntfs file system hard drive?
Yeah, it does read NTFS formatted HDDs.
post #287 of 2320 Old 04-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Advanced Member

Someone previously asked if the 24hz AVI problem had been fixed. I mentioned how one of my files, 'Iron Man 2,' still stuttered on 24hz. Well, I tried other files that previously had problems on my 2010 model when played at 24hz, and they were all fine. So, the issue appears to be limited to this particular file. The file also has the same problem on 60hz. It plays fine on my Xbox 360, and the first 5 minutes play fine on my LG, but after that, the framerate looks weird on 24hz and 60hz. Must be something with the file...

So, as far as I can tell, the 24hz AVI file problem appears to be fixed since all of the files that worked fine on 60hz but had problems on 24hz on my 2010 model now work fine on 24hz on this model.
post #288 of 2320 Old 04-08-2011, 02:35 AM

Does the BD670 have 2D to 3D Conversion?

I read all the reviews, searched this thread, and even downloaded the instruction manual for the thing from LG's site! I would ASSUME it has 2D to 3D, but I can't be sure.
post #289 of 2320 Old 04-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean01 View Post

Does the BD670 have 2D to 3D Conversion?

I read all the reviews, searched this thread, and even downloaded the instruction manual for the thing from LG's site! I would ASSUME it has 2D to 3D, but I can't be sure.

I would assume that it does *not* have 2D to 3D conversion. Though I don't have a 3D television hooked up to my BD670, I believe I have explored all of the user accessible setting menus and I have not seen any sort of setting that would convert 2D content to 3D. I believe it will convert 3D content to 2D though; I seem to recall seeing a setting for this (which was grayed out for me, perhaps because I don't have a 3D enabled set).

If LG were to offer a 2D to 3D conversion feature, I would have expected that they would have promoted that at CES and advertised any products with the technology as having a 2D to 3D conversion feature.

Here is an interesting blog from LG from June of 2010 which suggests that (at the time) they had tested 2D to 3D conversion technology but didn't feel it was ready to implement in their products:

http://www.lgblog.co.uk/2010/06/the-...3d-conversion/
post #290 of 2320 Old 04-09-2011, 08:26 AM

any idea why I cant stretch mp4 files?
post #291 of 2320 Old 04-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtas View Post

any idea why I cant stretch mp4 files?

Why would you want to?
post #292 of 2320 Old 04-09-2011, 09:15 AM

Just got a software (not firmware) update on my 670. It was automatically updated and did not give me a choice to skip it. After the update I noticed new apps in the premium section. I now have Amazon streaming, Google maps, and a couple others I can't remember. The problem is whenever I select one of the premium apps whether it be youtube or pandora or whatever, I get a pop-up saying there's a new software version. When it checks, it says I have the current version (driver H90358, software BD.8.62.268.E). Seems like something is messed up. I can get into netflix and divxtv but nothing else. Just this annoying pop-up.
post #293 of 2320 Old 04-09-2011, 09:20 AM

so I can get to full screen.......
post #294 of 2320 Old 04-09-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfooyen View Post

Just got a software (not firmware) update on my 670. It was automatically updated and did not give me a choice to skip it. After the update I noticed new apps in the premium section. I now have Amazon streaming, Google maps, and a couple others I can't remember. The problem is whenever I select one of the premium apps whether it be youtube or pandora or whatever, I get a pop-up saying there's a new software version. When it checks, it says I have the current version (driver H90358, software BD.8.62.268.E). Seems like something is messed up. I can get into netflix and divxtv but nothing else. Just this annoying pop-up.

I just got added premium apps on my 650 also ( Google maps, Amazon, AP, Fun Spot , MOG, i-play beta, Daily Motion)). When you try to access them you get the message a new update has been found, update now? When you confirm it does not find the new update ( yet).
Overall really good news to see the new apps, sure update will occur soon. Note new apps did not show until accessing premium apps, not via software update.
post #295 of 2320 Old 04-09-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empirical View Post

I just got added premium apps on my 650 also ( Google maps, Amazon, AP, Fun Spot , MOG, i-play beta, Daily Motion)). When you try to access them you get the message a new update has been found, update now? When you confirm it does not find the new update ( yet).
Overall really good news to see the new apps, sure update will occur soon. Note new apps did not show until accessing premium apps, not via software update.

Can you access your old apps? The only apps I can access are accuweather, mlb.tv, divx.tv, and netflix. ALL others give me the new software alert.

I confirmed with LG tech support that I do have the most current software version. We tried a factory reset of the player but the symptoms are still present. The CSR couldn't find anything in his searching about this new problem and put a report into the engineering dept. He said I would get a call back in a few days. Lets hope they are pushing out a firmware update because this is plain ol' messed up.
post #296 of 2320 Old 04-09-2011, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfooyen View Post

Can you access your old apps? The only apps I can access are accuweather, mlb.tv, divx.tv, and netflix. ALL others give me the new software alert.

I confirmed with LG tech support that I do have the most current software version. We tried a factory reset of the player but the symptoms are still present. The CSR couldn't find anything in his searching about this new problem and put a report into the engineering dept. He said I would get a call back in a few days. Lets hope they are pushing out a firmware update because this is plain ol' messed up.

Thanks for posting this. I'm getting the same thing on my 650 and at least now I know not to bother with a reset since that doesn't help either. Guess we'll just have to be patient while they figure it out, however it is particularly annoying that not only can you not get into any of the new stuff but are blocked from a lot of the premium content that was already there like Pandora. So great. The big software update is finally here and now I have LESS content than I had before. Does LG have a QA dept?
post #297 of 2320 Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 PM

Same problem of the apps insisting on downloading a non-existant update on my BD670.
post #298 of 2320 Old 04-09-2011, 12:44 PM

I suggest anyone reading this should call LG support and report this. The more people report, the sooner the issue gets elevated in their system, the sooner we get a fix. LG USA can be reached at 1-800-243-0000
post #299 of 2320 Old 04-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Google Maps? On a Blu-ray player?
post #300 of 2320 Old 04-09-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Well I just flipped on my BD670 and I have been victimized by the same forced "software" (not firmware) update. It has installed some new Premium Apps but in the process has disabled most of the previously available Premium Apps!!! Nice job LG, I am beginning to question whether I made the right choice in going with one of your products. Your technical support and software QA is a joke. How do you expect to compete in a tough marketplace with this kind of technical incompetence! Unfortunately, I am beyond my 30 day return policy at Best Buy, so I am stuck with what is now a BluRay player with very limited streaming capabilities. I guess I won't be able to watch "The Fighter" tonight on Vudu, since the Vudu App is one of many that has been disabled by LG's attempt to install some new Premium Apps.

I work in application development and if I went live with something that is this poorly tested/developed, I would probably be looking for a job.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd650 3d Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , Lg Bd690 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv And 250gb Hard Drive , Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , New Lg 3d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv 1080p Bd650 , Lg , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page