Official LG BD690/670/650/6xx Series Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2322 Old 04-13-2011, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can increase this number when you are using a hierarchical folder structur.

Best regards, maris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2322 Old 04-13-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maris View Post

You can increase this number when you are using a hierarchical folder structur.

Best regards, maris

My folder structure is very basic and works fine with computers. I think it's really dumb that there is hard limit on the number of items these players show in a share.

Here's my music layout:

Sorted Music\\Artist - Year of Release - Album Title
Sorted Music - New\\Artist - Year of Release - Album Title
Unsorted Music\\Artist - Year of Release - Album Title

I'm not going to make 26 folders in each of the main shares (one for each letter of the alphabet). In fact it probably would take a lot more because depending on what letter we're talking about there's more albums than 2000. That's a minimum of 72 new folders to make and a TON of albums to move around. I have no interest in doing that.

I just consider the 670 useless as an mp3 player and use the PC that's hooked up to the tv for that purpose.
post #363 of 2322 Old 04-13-2011, 11:33 AM

I just called LG about the lame new Youtube app.

This is what they said:

"LG does make not the Youtube app. LG is not responible for it working or not. You have to contact the make of that app. We simply allow you to access Youtube."

The man I spoke to said his name is Cesar.

When I asked him who I AM supposed to contact he said he did not know that I would have to "check the webpage" for support information.

I also further asked him "So LG isn't responsible for the functionality of apps on LG players?" to which he said "No Sir LG is not responsible for the applications."
post #364 of 2322 Old 04-13-2011, 12:36 PM

Youtube App progress update:

I just called 877-543-8325 - LG Execute Services - I found the number in the BD5XX thread, thank you Will Munshower for posting.

The woman I spoke on this line gave me completely different answers to my questions! She indicated that it IS LG that makes the apps, and that we SHOULD call LG for support for those apps.

Once that fact was established I explained to her the problems with the new version of the Youtube app. I told her that the ability to login to your Youtube account was very useful, that the favorites list was very useful, that history was also very useful, I also explained that the search function is now broken and DOES NOT give you same results as youtube.com. I also mentioned the fact that the app now plays totally random videos when you open it which is very frustrating and that I want the ability to turn that off.

She seemed to listen to all this and said she will tell the engineers and that they will supposedly call me back in regards to those issues.

So we'll see how that goes. After all that I then told her how awful the regular phone tech support is and told her that Cesar gave me a variety of misinformation. So hopefully they can do something about that, like telling the people at that call center to give useful answers.

The other interesting thing this call got me was access to a hidden version # menu. This is accessed by going to setup, then display, then you hightlight aspect ratio. Do not click enter yet. Type in 1397139 then hit enter. This will load a very ugly hidden version # screen. It also seems to reset your home screen background if you have selected something besides the default. It may also reset other settings, I haven't checked yet. She had me load this screen so I could tell her the software version #. She was VERY surprised when I read it to her and it did not end with a letter. At that point I had to explain to her that the only screen that shows the letter at the end is the download screen. This was new information to her. lol
post #365 of 2322 Old 04-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi folks;
I've been looking for a blu-ray player to replace a single cd player. It will be used 99% of the time to play audio(music) cds. All the ones(Panasonic,Sony) I've looked at can only select the track number(while playing cds) with the arrow buttons. I was told that LG players can use the number buttons to select tracks when playing cds. Is this true? I looked at the 550/570/590 thread and it was pretty scary,all the complaints about blu-rays skipping,updates making things worse,streaming problems. Is the 6xx series any better? Thanks for your input!
post #366 of 2322 Old 04-13-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 View Post

Hi folks;
I've been looking for a blu-ray player to replace a single cd player. It will be used 99% of the time to play audio(music) cds. All the ones(Panasonic,Sony) I've looked at can only select the track number(while playing cds) with the arrow buttons. I was told that LG players can use the number buttons to select tracks when playing cds. Is this true? I looked at the 550/570/590 thread and it was pretty scary,all the complaints about blu-rays skipping,updates making things worse,streaming problems. Is the 6xx series any better? Thanks for your input!

I have a BD670 and yes the numbers do let you pick the track. The way it works is you hit a number and then enter to switch to it. If you don't press enter it waits about 2 seconds and then changes. I think this is so you have enough time to type in 2 digits if you have more than 9 tracks on the disk.

As for issues with the player there's nothing major (that I've found!) like the 5XX series. My issues are that in network shares you can only see the first 2000 files/folders in a directory and the Youtube app is totally broken/useless since it was updated a few days ago. Also some .avi files have choppiness from time to time that you have to fix by rewinding slightly.
post #367 of 2322 Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete8475 View Post

I have a BD670 and yes the numbers do let you pick the track. The way it works is you hit a number and then enter to switch to it. If you don't press enter it waits about 2 seconds and then changes. I think this is so you have enough time to type in 2 digits if you have more than 9 tracks on the disk.

As for issues with the player there's nothing major (that I've found!) like the 5XX series. My issues are that in network shares you can only see the first 2000 files/folders in a directory and the Youtube app is totally broken/useless since it was updated a few days ago. Also some .avi files have choppiness from time to time that you have to fix by rewinding slightly.

Thanks! It would be used just for playing cds,with that in mind is there any reason to move up from the 630? Any easier to use,faster loading time or better sound quality as you go up the line?
post #368 of 2322 Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Yes the players can just play music off network shares. HOWEVER there is a hard limit on the number of files/folders it can display. If you have a share with over 2000 files or folders you will only get to see the first 2000.

Now I don't have a particularly big collection of albums, but if I use the 670 as a player I can only see up to artists that start with B in my music directory.

Don't know where you get this. I have the 670 with over 8000 MP3 files on my shared PC. The 670 picks them all up, no problem.
post #369 of 2322 Old 04-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks! It would be used just for playing cds,with that in mind is there any reason to move up from the 630? Any easier to use,faster loading time or better sound quality as you go up the line?

Anybody?? Walmart has the 630 for $118+tax=$126,it's $117 on Amazon,but Walmart has a NINETY DAY return/exchange policy!! hmmmmmmm..........what do you guys think? For playing cds,any reason to move up??
post #370 of 2322 Old 04-13-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfooyen View Post

Don't know where you get this. I have the 670 with over 8000 MP3 files on my shared PC. The 670 picks them all up, no problem.

Any shared folder I open only shows 1-2000.

Are you using some sort of DLNA software?

I am not. I'm simply browsing windows shares.

I'll take a picture with my camera and post it here in a minute. At the bottom of the folder there's a counter that shows where you are, and on my 670 (just like my 570) that counter goes up to 2000.

Also are you using some sort of directory structure?

I have a sorted music share with albums in it. I can only see the first 2000 albums on the 670. I am not talking individual mp3 files. Though I'm sure if I dumped those into one big folder I'd only see 2000 mp3 files.

EDIT - I've attached the picture now. Sorry for the poor quality, used my phone to take it.
LL
post #371 of 2322 Old 04-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Anybody?? Walmart has the 630 for $118+tax=$126,it's $117 on Amazon,but Walmart has a NINETY DAY return/exchange policy!! hmmmmmmm..........what do you guys think? For playing cds,any reason to move up??

It's not clear based on the product info at Lg.com if the BD630 has MusicID, which will display track titles, artist name, cover art, etc. from Gracenote. This service requires an Internet connection, which could also make having a player with Wi-fi useful if you don't have an easy way to connect your player to a network via Ethernet.
post #372 of 2322 Old 04-13-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCJack View Post

Hi everyone. Not really tech savvy. Don't understand apps and wireless streaming and all of this stuff. Just want a blu ray player that I can pop in a blu ray cd and watch the movie. I was considering the bd 690 because it has the 250gb hard drive. Just want to make sure I understand the functionality correctly before I buy the player.

Does this feature mean I can take my collection of 400 CDs and transfer my music to the hard drive and essentially be able to play my music collection with out having to ever place a cd in my cd player ever again? If so, does the bd690 also allow me to sort the downloaded music into separate categories or playlists as well?

The BD690 and the BD590 both support playlists that you create. If you create various folders like "New Age", "Classic Jazz", "Fusion Jazz", "Rock", etc. both units also allow you to archive your CD collection into your desired destination folders and retrieve them from same. The GraceNotes function also automatically creates Album and Song Titles for you when you archive your CDs. It all works pretty slickly, although I have experienced a few more quirks with creating and using destination folders on my BD590 than I have with my new BD690.

I'd definitely go with the BD690, which is now available for about the same street price as the 14 month old BD590. My two big CD changers are in a state of retirement at the moment, but they are still handy to physically store my CDs. I just listen to the CDs on the BD590 and the BD690, as it is much more convenient and I haven't noticed any sound degradations. BTW, for best sound quality when archiving CDs, make certain to select the "lossless" recording option.
post #373 of 2322 Old 04-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

O.K.,now I'm confused. I found a good deal on the BD640($149 w/ship), and downloaded the owner's manual to check it out. It did not indicate that you could use the number buttons to select a track,only the arrows. I called LG and the guy said he didn't think you could,but he had a 640 right there and tried it. He said some of the number buttons are for options(9 was random,I can't remember the rest),none are for track selection. I then asked him if it was different on the 5xx series. He said he had a 550 there and tried it;same result! I should have asked him about the 670,maybe it's different? Or maybe he knows not his hole from an ass on the ground?

EDIT; I called LG back,got a different guy. I asked him if the 670 would do it,he said yes. I asked him if the 640 would do it,he said yes. He said, like you, that all the Lg players have done that for a while. He also said that the number buttons will select a chapter when watching a movie. Two calls in ten minutes,two different answers. Nice.
post #374 of 2322 Old 04-13-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:

EDIT; I called LG back,got a different guy. I asked him if the 670 would do it,he said yes. I asked him if the 640 would do it,he said yes. He said, like you, that all the Lg players have done that for a while. He also said that the number buttons will select a chapter when watching a movie. Two calls in ten minutes,two different answers. Nice.

What I said is my BD670 does that, I have no idea if any other model of LG player works that way.

EDIT - Also getting totally different answers from LG phone support every time you call is in my experience normal for them.
post #375 of 2322 Old 04-14-2011, 03:09 AM

Quote:

Any shared folder I open only shows 1-2000.

I've been following the thread since the beginning but just registered so I could respond.

I've noticed the 2000 item limit too. I had over 2000 songs in the "Pop/Rock" genre and it only displayed the first 2000. So I split the genre into separate "Pop" and "Rock" genres and the issue went away. However, I don't see how you could resolve the issue of more than 2000 albums except to put them on different shares.
post #376 of 2322 Old 04-14-2011, 07:25 AM

BD690; in the manual it says you can copy files from USB\\CD\\Network to the internal drive but when I tried with items on my network and hit the "info" button as it says to do I do not get a "copy" option.

Is this a mistake in the manual, can you only copy to the drive from a USB or CD?
post #377 of 2322 Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGoblin View Post

I had the same issues; I upgraded the firmware and changed out my router and have had no problems since. I was using a Linksys-Cisco. Hope this helps.

Thanks for reminding me to look into the router's firmware. Once I updated it, the 670 updated with no issues over a wired internet connection.

Got Amazon VOD running Clockwork Orange right now and it looks great!
post #378 of 2322 Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

O.K.,now I'm confused. I found a good deal on the BD640($149 w/ship), and downloaded the owner's manual to check it out. It did not indicate that you could use the number buttons to select a track,only the arrows. I called LG and the guy said he didn't think you could,but he had a 640 right there and tried it. He said some of the number buttons are for options(9 was random,I can't remember the rest),none are for track selection. I then asked him if it was different on the 5xx series. He said he had a 550 there and tried it;same result! I should have asked him about the 670,maybe it's different? Or maybe he knows not his hole from an ass on the ground?

I don't know about the 640 but I just tried it with my 630 and I could change tracks using the number keys.
post #379 of 2322 Old 04-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

I don't know about the 640 but I just tried it with my 630 and I could change tracks using the number keys.

Yup,nothing like misinformation from the manufacturer. Thanks for the reply,going to Best Buy tomorrow to play with one so I can see how it functions as a cd player. I was thinking about the 630,but found a 640 for $30 more.
post #380 of 2322 Old 04-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I was playing with the new YouTube app tonight. I love that the videos now stream in their highest quality. I don't like that videos start playing automatically and that the search function is pretty impaired now that no search suggestions show up.

I also don't like that the Netflix app has been moved over a couple of places, but whatever.
post #381 of 2322 Old 04-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Hi
Im ready to buy either the 670 or the 690. On LG's site, I couldnt find the information whether either of these two can do 2D to 3D conversion... Can anyone please clarify this?? thank you
post #382 of 2322 Old 04-15-2011, 11:37 AM

Liked: 32
No they cannot.
post #383 of 2322 Old 04-15-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

No they cannot.

so non of the LG's 2011 models can do 2D to 3D conversion??
post #384 of 2322 Old 04-15-2011, 11:50 AM

Liked: 32
Nope...
post #385 of 2322 Old 04-15-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

I got another "Software" update on my BD670 last night. As happened last week, unlike a "Firmware" update I had no option to not install it. Fortunately it didn't disable my player this time. Although I can't find anything that appears to be changed after the software update.

Has anyone else received this update? Have you noticed anything different after it loaded. I see no new Premium apps, but I haven't use all of them enough to notice if anything has changed with the Apps I had.

John
post #386 of 2322 Old 04-15-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolli View Post

I got another "Software" update on my BD670 last night. As happened last week, unlike a "Firmware" update I had no option to not install it. Fortunately it didn't disable my player this time. Although I can't find anything that appears to be changed after the software update.

Has anyone else received this update? Have you noticed anything different after it loaded. I see no new Premium apps, but I haven't use all of them enough to notice if anything has changed with the Apps I had.

John

Same experience here on the 690. Forced app software update and I see no apparent changes/fixes/enhancements to any of the apps. I briefly checked Netflix, Amazon, MLB, Pandora, Vudu, Picassa, VTuner, AP, Viewster, DailyMotion, Google Maps and Youtube. The Youtube interface is still a steaming pile of disaster. The immediate pre-roll ads on Dailymotion are a good reason to never go there. Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, and Pandora are the only ones I really care about.

LG really must stop these forced software updates, and when there is an update, document the changes in advance. Testing the updates would be nice too.
post #387 of 2322 Old 04-15-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolli View Post

John

I also apparently received another software update (that I did not want and was not prompted for) this morning. When I fired my BD690 up this morning, it indicated that it was downloading a software update. However, this morning's update did not take more than about a minute to download and install. The previous automatic update required about 10 minutes to complete on my wireless network.

After another unwanted update, I went to the "Setup" function to see what had just been loaded. I was surprised to find that the software information window (under "Others") still showed the same main software and servo versions that I have been running with since Sunday night: BD.8.62.276 and H90358 (H09LGN). I couldn't detect any changes in the player's functions, either.

The LG software engineers and test teams apparently still have some work to do, as the update behavior of my player remains flaky. As jmolli noted, at least this "update" did not hurt the player's functionality.
post #388 of 2322 Old 04-15-2011, 09:21 PM

Since this last update, netflix streaming movies won't load. The progress bar gets 95% done then hangs. After a few minutes I get a "trouble playing this title" message.Can anyone else confirm this happening?
EDIT: Did a hard reboot this morning. Netflix is working again. Now I'll just wait until they fix the unusable youtube app.
post #389 of 2322 Old 04-16-2011, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTVSteve View Post
I also apparently received another software update (that I did not want and was not prompted for) this morning. When I fired my BD690 up this morning, it indicated that it was downloading a software update. However, this morning's update did not take more than about a minute to download and install. The previous automatic update required about 10 minutes to complete on my wireless network.

After another unwanted update, I went to the "Setup" function to see what had just been loaded. I was surprised to find that the software information window (under "Others") still showed the same main software and servo versions that I have been running with since Sunday night: BD.8.62.276 and H90358 (H09LGN). I couldn't detect any changes in the player's functions, either.

The LG software engineers and test teams apparently still have some work to do, as the update behavior of my player remains flaky. As jmolli noted, at least this "update" did not hurt the player's functionality.
Steve,

From what has transpired over the last 1-2weeks, it appears there are two kinds of updates that can be pushed out to our LG players, they are labeled as either "Software" or "Firmware" updates. Apparently when LG adds Premium Apps or adjusts code in existing Premium Apps, the update is sent out as a "Software" update. The user has no ability to deny installation of such an update and it will not increment the firmware or server version numbers seen in the Setup>Information area of your player. Only the "Firmware" updates will increment this information and only "Firmware" updates can be prevented from installing by the user.

It appears that the "Software" update that was pushed out in the Thurs-Fri time frame was most likely a code update to one or several existing Premium Apps. So I don't think anything flakey is going on with your player's update functionality.

John
post #390 of 2322 Old 04-16-2011, 09:47 AM

Nevermind.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd650 3d Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , Lg Bd690 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv And 250gb Hard Drive , Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , New Lg 3d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv 1080p Bd650 , Lg , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - Bd670 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page