Official LG BD690/670/650/6xx Series Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2322 Old 05-02-2011, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a crazy good deal on Amazon on the BD670. Can't wait to get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2322 Old 05-02-2011, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Has anyone accessed PlayOn with this unit?
post #453 of 2322 Old 05-02-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I highly suggest calling Netflix when major problems are encountered- like disconnecting and not being able to reconnect. That's what happened to me this weekend and I thought it was my player. I decided to deactivate my player and try reactivation but after deactivatin on Netflix my player wouldn't give me the option to activate again. I called Netflix and it turned out that they had a huge problem with some players working (laptops, computers etc) and not others (tvs & stb). It was fixed when I got up in the morning.

After reading this thread I don't think I'll be buying an LG this year, as badly as I'd like to. I had problems with last year's model and sold it. I bought a Panasonic and have not had problems and it even seems that Netflix and Amazon VOD now get a better picture.

post #454 of 2322 Old 05-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Liked: 22
Hello,
I picked up the LG BD670 about two months ago from my local BB. I've been pleasantly surprised with the ease of connection to my 5 ghz "n" network. I installed an external hard drive and set it up as a media server and in that respect the LG has worked even better than my expectations. It's locked into the network wirelessly and has never dropped the connection. The internet streaming (I primarily use Netflix) has been great and the quality of streamed videos through Netflix is better than I expected. It has also played all my video and MP3's stored on my server without issue. The updates have continued without any problems (I'm currently on BD.8.62.280).
However, playing DVD's is annoying. It stutters every 5-20 minutes for just a split second. At first I barely noticed but now I fixate on the stuttering. I change the setting from 60 hz for Netflix to 24 hz for DVD's but that doesn't seem to change anything. I've skimmed through this forum prior to my post and see that was an issue with older models (I wish I would have done that before my purchase). Does any one know if there's a fix to that. I'd really like to keep the player because of it's superior networking capabilities. I've had all kinds of problems connecting to the 5 ghz network with other devices but this stuttering is becoming more annoying with each movie.
Any suggestions please?

Doug

TV Room Upgrade Completed

post #455 of 2322 Old 05-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim
However, playing DVD's is annoying. It stutters every 5-20 minutes for just a split second. At first I barely noticed but now I fixate on the stuttering. I change the setting from 60 hz for Netflix to 24 hz for DVD's but that doesn't seem to change anything. I've skimmed through this forum prior to my post and see that was an issue with older models (I wish I would have done that before my purchase). Does any one know if there's a fix to that. I'd really like to keep the player because of it's superior networking capabilities. I've had all kinds of problems connecting to the 5 ghz network with other devices but this stuttering is becoming more annoying with each movie.
Any suggestions please?
This is the "chapter change" dvd bug, which was introduced via a recent firmware update. It was not an issue in older models until recent firmware either. The only fix would be to roll back to an older firmware version, but if you use premium netcast services (such as Netflix), this is not a viable option on the BD6xx series because the newer netcast software will not work with older firmware versions (you will get prompted to update the firmware when you access premium services). LG is aware of the problem. Hopefully this will be fixed soon in a future firmware update.
post #456 of 2322 Old 05-02-2011, 03:38 PM

I recently updated my BD670 to the latest firmware, BD.8.62.280, but now I'm having issues playing wmv files. It will play the file just fine for about 4-5 minutes but then it gives the following error:

"Video format not supported"

I've tried several different wmv files, different discs, and wireless from my PC's hard drive (via Nero Home) but still get the same error. The previous firmware did not exhibit this behavior, at least not that I can remember.

Is anyone else having this problem and if so, what firmware are you using?

http://www.lg.com/uk/support/product...roduct-profile
post #457 of 2322 Old 05-03-2011, 07:53 AM

Hi, I purchased a BD670 this weekend. I am really enjoying this player, but in my testing...when viewing the menu and streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, etc) I can see that the unit is outputting 1080i video. However, when I play a BluRay, I am limited to 720x480. I connected to two 1080i capable displays and had the same results when connected via component. I searched this forum and did find where somebody said component video was fine, but what resolution are you getting?
post #458 of 2322 Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 AM

found my answer. Works as designed:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/06...ood-drives-us-
post #459 of 2322 Old 05-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The LHB536 just got a new firmware update, 2.85.E (if the BD6xx didn't get it yet, I imagine that you will in a day or two).

I'd like to report that the DVD chapter skip audio stutter has been... reduced. It's still there, but now it's not as long. lol why is this so difficult to fix!?????
post #460 of 2322 Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM

Liked: 32
"has now been...REDUCED"
Hahhaahhahahaaha...gee whiz, I agree with you, what could possibly be so difficult for it to be fixed?
post #461 of 2322 Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM

I hope this isn't a stupid question but here goes:
I run component cable through my avr to the TV (I'm looking for a new receiver now with HDMI). I know component won't allow full 1080p but according to my TV I get 1080i quality from my cable box (which runs through the same receiver and cable) but on SD DVD's I get 480p and on Blue Ray DVD's I only get 480i. That can't be right can it?
I've tried forcing 1080i & 1080p through the 670's settings but it only reverts back to either 480i or 480p depending on the source so I keep it on auto.
Shouldn't a DVD get as good of resolution as HDTV and shouldn't Blue Ray get even better resolution?
Thanks.....

Doug

post #462 of 2322 Old 05-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

I hope this isn't a stupid question but here goes:
I run component cable through my avr to the TV (I'm looking for a new receiver now with HDMI). I know component won't allow full 1080p but according to my TV I get 1080i quality from my cable box (which runs through the same receiver and cable) but on SD DVD's I get 480p and on Blue Ray DVD's I only get 480i. That can't be right can it?
I've tried forcing 1080i & 1080p through the 670's settings but it only reverts back to either 480i or 480p depending on the source so I keep it on auto.
Shouldn't a DVD get as good of resolution as HDTV and shouldn't Blue Ray get even better resolution?
Thanks.....

This might answer your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zama89 View Post

found my answer. Works as designed:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/06...ood-drives-us-

post #463 of 2322 Old 05-03-2011, 04:39 PM

This might answer your question:

It does, thanks, but it's sure not the answer I was looking for. What possible reason could "they" have for doing that?

Well this will speed up the selection process for the new receiver (my existing avr only has component outs).

Doug

post #464 of 2322 Old 05-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

What possible reason could "they" have for doing that?

I can't think of a reason outside wanting to sell new equipment to people. I understand that content-makers want to protect their work, that's perfectly fine, but the current protection scheme makes no sense. "Analog Sunset," which forces Blu-ray players made after 2011 to output Blu-ray movies at 480p over Component (no more HD Component), makes no sense in the "copy protection" scheme of things. Do they think pirates have to hook up their Blu-ray players to some sort of analog device in order to make a copy? LOL, no. They just have to use their computer and they can make a perfect bit-for-bit digital copy. "Analog Sunset" only hurts consumers that actually pay for things, and possibly can't afford to go and get a new HDTV because they all of a sudden need more HDMI inputs if they want to watch their movies in 720p.

Also, they spent a year (and who knows how much money) designing the copy protection that went on the 'Avatar' Blu-ray, and it was cracked by Slysoft a day after the movie came out. So, pirates only had to wait a day to get their cracked version of the movie, and us paying customers have to deal with longer load times (forever?) and firmware issues (which many players had). It's frustrating to have to deal with all of this nonsense when I'm the one paying for the movies, and the people who pirate the movies just have to pop their cracked disc in and the movie loads instantly.

These companies think I will ever trust them with their 'Ultraviolet' plans? Hell, no. Give me physical media any day. I don't want my movies held hostage on your servers.

I also love how our "fair use" rights get stepped on by the DMCA. We're not allowed to bypass the protection on Blu-rays to make a copy... of something we already paid for? It sounds like a law that was designed to thwart piracy, somehow, but I don't understand how that could be. The people who pirate films just ignore the law and continue to distribute them to others while the people who buy the films and want to make backups for personal use are not supposed to? Make the punishment for copyright infringement steeper, but don't stop people who actually paid for the discs from making backup copies. It just doesn't make any sense. It's like wanting to repeal the 2nd amendment for everyone because some people go on killing sprees - even though those killers would still be able to get their guns through illegal channels while the law abiding citizens are the only ones following the law and therefore not going to be armed. Whatever.
post #465 of 2322 Old 05-03-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post

The LHB536 just got a new firmware update, 2.85.E (if the BD6xx didn't get it yet, I imagine that you will in a day or two).

I'd like to report that the DVD chapter skip audio stutter has been... reduced. It's still there, but now it's not as long. lol why is this so difficult to fix!?????

Well the 670 just got a driver update (90358 I believe). Haven't had a chance to test for any improvements yet.
post #466 of 2322 Old 05-04-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaltby View Post

When checking the Other > Software information menu, I see there's a new option called "Network Play". The info at bottom says "Allows playback of media streamed from home networked devices". It was initially set to off, but I've now turned it on. I've been streaming from Mac and PC CIFS/SMB shares since I've had the 690 (and a 390 previously), and even with this option off, I can stream movie and music files just fine. I checked the BD690 manual and the "Network Play" option is not documented. I don't know which of the recent updates introduced it. It's not the same as the "Wifi Direct" or "Media File Sharing". Those are on the Network menu. On the small chance it enabled Apple's AirPlay, I tried playing a video on my iPhone 4 & iPad to see if the LG was now listed as an Airplay target, but it is not...only the ATVs.

Anyone know what this new "Network Play" option is used for?

I'm curious about this. Anyone?
post #467 of 2322 Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post

I'm curious about this. Anyone?

Sorry, no clue. The description of it sounds a lot like the 'Media File Sharing' option. When my 'Network Play' option was introduced, it was set to 'On' by default - so, I've left it on and haven't had any streaming issues.
post #468 of 2322 Old 05-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Ok, so I'm testing out playing MKV's over WiFi that are stored on my PC. Many of them will not play. The ones that do, look grainy as heck and they are 1080p.

I have the lastest firmware update. I thinking about returning this unit if it does not do MKV's well. That was one of the main reasons I bought it. Any other Blu-Ray players play MKV's?

Maybe the MKV container/header info is bad on some of the files? Anyone know how to fix that?
post #469 of 2322 Old 05-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, so I'm testing out playing MKV's over WiFi that are stored on my PC. Many of them will not play. The ones that do, look grainy as heck and they are 1080p.

I have the lastest firmware update. I thinking about returning this unit if it does not do MKV's well. That was one of the main reasons I bought it. Any other Blu-Ray players play MKV's?

Maybe the MKV container/header info is bad on some of the files? Anyone know how to fix that?

Mine play flawlessly (even the 14GB 1080p MKVs from my wireless router which is 50 feet away). I've got to ask... Do you happen to have any codec packs installed? I don't know if it makes a difference with these players, but I know that if people play MKVs with the Xbox 360 (using the Media Center Extender) and they use codecs other than Microsoft's (for instance, FFDSHOW), MKVs will look very, very noisy. I'm wondering if you are experiencing a similar issue.

In any event, run them through this program to repair anything that may be wrong with them: http://shark007.net/files/MetaFox_1.0RC4_installer.exe
post #470 of 2322 Old 05-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Ok, nevermind on the grainy issue.

It seems my TV's settings where set to factory default for that particular HDMI connection.

Most of the grain is gone now that I've set the settings right.

Mike, I installed MetaFox but it would not run on my PC. I'm on a fresh install of XP SP3.

I used mediainfo to find out the details of the MKV file I'm trying to play, that wont. This one opens then closes right away.

Code:
General
Unique ID                        : 186040033812794594155159479760130600454 (0x8BF601D7B1CD69C498333A7B963EEE06)
Complete name                    : Sample.mkv
Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 86.0 MiB
Duration                         : 1mn 29s
Overall bit rate                 : 8 093 Kbps
Movie name                       : xxx
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-12-27 18:50:01
Writing application              : mkvmerge v4.3.0 ('Escape from the Island') built on Sep  5 2010 10:30:51
Writing library                  : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 3 frames
Format settings, GOP             : M=3, N=33
Muxing mode                      : Header stripping
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 7292 Kbps
Width                            : 1920 pixels
Height                           : 1080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 24.000 fps
Standard                         : NTSC
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.147
Stream size                      : 77.5 MiB (90%)
Language                         : English
Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
Muxing mode                      : Header stripping
Codec ID                         : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 640 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Delay relative to video          : 5ms
Stream size                      : 6.80 MiB (8%)
This one gives a warning that the file may not play properly, then plays choppy. Its 1920x800 though

Code:
General
Unique ID                        : 250555593703288832301869245633771914264 (0xBC7F40874FB9FAE9AAD7451E381CC418)
Complete name                    : Transformers-1080p-Sample.mkv
File size                        : 92.2 MiB
Duration                         : 1mn 8s
Overall bit rate                 : 11.3 Mbps
Movie name                       : Transformers.1080p.DTS.x264
Encoded date                     : UTC 2007-12-10 07:58:45
Writing application              : mkvmerge v2.1.0 ('Another Place To Fall') built on Aug 19 2007 13:40:07
Writing library                  : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
Format settings, ReFrames        : 16 frames
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.40:1
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps

Audio #1
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Bit rate                         : 755 Kbps
Bit depth                        : 24 bits
Delay relative to video          : 3ms
Stream size                      : 6.16 MiB (7%)

Audio #2
ID                               : 3
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                   : LC
Codec ID                         : A_AAC
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Delay relative to video          : 3ms
Title                            : Director's Comments
This one plays choppy
Code:
General
Unique ID                        : 234122679918729919693099169259688375300 (0xB02263536A537250BEA6F25C0B713404)
Complete name                    : Spartacus.Blood.and.Sand-SAMPLE.mkv
File size                        : 152 MiB
Overall bit rate                 : 14.3 Mbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-10-09 16:13:52
Writing application              : mkvmerge v3.2.0 ('Beginnings') 编译于 Feb 12 2010 16:46:17
Writing library                  : libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Bit rate                         : 13.4 Mbps
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.269
Stream size                      : 143 MiB (94%)
Title                            : Spartacus.Blood.and.Sand.2010.S01E01

Audio
Delay relative to video          : 18ms
Stream size                      : 6.82 MiB (4%)
Title                            : DD5.1 640K
This one plays fine
Code:
General
Unique ID                        : 201541676969302732613226437048856181376 (0x979F83DBBD8043BB88D382654F037A80)
Complete name                    : sample.mkv
File size                        : 22.3 MiB
Duration                         : 56s 346ms
Overall bit rate                 : 3 325 Kbps
Movie name                       : BONIIN
Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-04-16 15:30:03
Writing application              : mkvmerge v3.3.0 ('Language') built on Mar 24 2010 14:59:24
Writing library                  : libebml v0.8.0 + libmatroska v0.9.0

Video
Format profile                   : High@L4.0
Format settings, GOP             : M=2, N=39
Duration                         : 56s 360ms
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 2 427 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 25.0 Mbps
Width                            : 1920 pixels
Height                           : 1080 pixels
Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
Original frame rate              : 23.976 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.047
Stream size                      : 16.3 MiB (73%)

Audio #1
Bit rate                         : 448 Kbps
Delay relative to video          : 16ms
Stream size                      : 3.01 MiB (13%)
Title                            : RIPPER~BONIIN

Audio #2
ID                               : 3
Bit rate                         : 384 Kbps
Delay relative to video          : 26ms
Stream size                      : 2.58 MiB (12%)
Language                         : Hindi
Clueless as to whats the problem.
post #471 of 2322 Old 05-04-2011, 02:32 PM

The first MKV file does not play due to the activated header compression of the video track. Run an actual version of MKVmerge (from the MKVtoolnix freeware collection), activate "Disable header removal compression" in the program options, add the mkv file and re-mux all tracks into a new MKV file. Maybe re-muxing helps also for the choppy files.

Best regards, maris
post #472 of 2322 Old 05-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Sorry if these have been run into the ground within the 16 page thread, but I had a few questions:

1) Basically the only difference between 670 and 690 is the inclusion of a 250gb HDD in the 690?

2) Is the HDD upgradeable in the 690, and does it use a common file system (FAT32, NTFS, EXT3, etc.)?

3) This will work with SMB shares, and does it have the option to supply share credentials for NTFS?

4) Is the BD690 accessible via network to copy files, and if yes, what protocol(s)?
post #473 of 2322 Old 05-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maris View Post

The first MKV file does not play due to the activated header compression of the video track. Run an actual version of MKVmerge (from the MKVtoolnix freeware collection), activate "Disable header removal compression" in the program options, add the mkv file and re-mux all tracks into a new MKV file. Maybe re-muxing helps also for the choppy files.

Best regards, maris

The program I linked him disables header compression, too. I linked it because it's the simplest way for people to fix their MKVs without any "know how." You just drag and drop the MKV and it does everything you need to play them on these players.
post #474 of 2322 Old 05-04-2011, 11:19 PM

Thanks Maris and Mike. The video looks good now. Two files that weren't playing now do and one that was playing choppy is now smooth. But I'm getting some problems on some still. Here's what I got.

This one plays fine.
Code:
General
Unique ID                        : 254496779213043860187036206550874254641 (0xBF764BFA036A42BEBAD9274585F2ED31)
Complete name                    : C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\Movies\\Tron\\Tron.Legacy.2010.BluRay.1080p.x264.DTS-MySiLU.Sample.mkv
File size                        : 64.6 MiB
Duration                         : 1mn 4s
Overall bit rate                 : 8 415 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-03-01 01:37:03
Writing application              : mkvmerge v3.4.0 ('Rapunzel') 编译于 May 15 2010 09:38:20
Writing library                  : libebml v0.8.0 + libmatroska v0.9.0

Video
Bit rate                         : 6 738 Kbps
Height                           : 816 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.35:1
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.179
Stream size                      : 51.7 MiB (80%)
Title                            : Tron.Legacy.2010.BluRay.1080p.x264.DTS-MySiLU

Audio
Bit rate                         : 1 510 Kbps
Delay relative to video          : 16ms
Stream size                      : 11.6 MiB (18%)

The following two play fine but LG player gives me this message at the beginning "This movie may not be playable properly."

Code:
General
Unique ID                        : 223125592124840480298736648063049957249 (0xA7DC6D094E228E6A8731536398FA7F81)
Complete name                    : C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\Movies\\Avatar\\Sample.mkv
File size                        : 86.1 MiB
Overall bit rate                 : 8 094 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-05-05 05:04:31
Writing application              : mkvmerge v4.7.0 ('Just Like You Imagined') built on Apr 21 2011 01:13:14
Writing library                  : libebml v1.2.0 + libmatroska v1.1.0

Video
Format settings, GOP             : M=3, N=33
Bit rate                         : 7 293 Kbps
Frame rate                       : 24.000 fps
Standard                         : NTSC
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.147
Stream size                      : 77.6 MiB (90%)
Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
Delay relative to video          : 5ms
Stream size                      : 6.80 MiB (8%)
The following plays choppy over wifi only. Router is 2 ft away.

Code:
General
Unique ID                        : 174349634869252711751314497920312974325 (0x832A84AC9B492BD8B6A0641517969BF5)
Complete name                    : C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\Movies\\Spartacus\\Spartacus.mkv
File size                        : 152 MiB
Overall bit rate                 : 14.3 Mbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-05-05 04:39:00
Writing application              : mkvmerge v4.7.0 ('Just Like You Imagined') built on Apr 21 2011 01:13:14

Video
Bit rate                         : 13.4 Mbps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.269
Stream size                      : 143 MiB (94%)

Audio
Delay relative to video          : 18ms
Stream size                      : 6.82 MiB (4%)
The following plays choppy even using a wired connection. I made sure that the wifi was disabled on the router when I tested it and did the wired network setup on the LG player.

Code:
General
Unique ID                        : 196309269268864289606420879428671065810 (0x93AFCA3DBD486A1390D5797C588D4ED2)
Complete name                    : C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\Movies\\Transformers (1).mkv
File size                        : 103 MiB
Duration                         : 31s 240ms
Overall bit rate                 : 27.6 Mbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-05-05 04:41:56

Video
Bit rate                         : 25.6 Mbps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.515
Stream size                      : 95.3 MiB (93%)

Audio
Bit rate                         : 1 510 Kbps
Delay relative to video          : 53ms
Stream size                      : 5.62 MiB (5%)
All where processed the same way in MKVmerge. Any ideas?
post #475 of 2322 Old 05-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The following two play fine but LG player gives me this message at the beginning "This movie may not be playable properly."

I believe that is due to the "High@L5.1"

You can use TSMuxer to change the tag to High@L4.1 and demux it, and then remux with MKVMerge or the tool I linked you to, or you could just deal with the message that pops up. There's nothing odd about the other files that I can think of...
post #476 of 2322 Old 05-05-2011, 12:05 AM

The bit rate of the last file is quite high. There is a limit of the maximum band width the LG can process. If this limit is exceeded the picture gets chopy.

Best regards, maris
post #477 of 2322 Old 05-05-2011, 02:06 AM

Thanks again guys. TSMuxer did the trick on the message!

One of the videos with was playing smooth is now choppy over wifi. Seems that the wireless connection is spotty with this player.

I'm using a Linksys WRT54GL router in G-mode only set to 2.457GHz and its only 2 ft away right now for my testing. No other internet activity on my PC going on or on my network while trying to solve this issue.
post #478 of 2322 Old 05-05-2011, 03:27 AM

I just picked up the LG BD670 since the Panasonic 110 was having difficulty playing many of my files and was wondering if there is a way to make the subtitles on MKVs not look like Closed Captioning with the black box around them. I am also having some troubles with this MKV file and was wondering if anyone can let me know what is needed to make this type playable as I have a bunch like this I would like to fix.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Complete name : E:\\Tester! [x264].mkv
Format : Matroska
File size : 259 MiB
Duration : 24mn 35s
Overall bit rate : 1 475 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2009-01-20 15:27:28
Writing application : mkvmerge v1.5.0 ('It's alright, baby') built on Jul 1 2005 10:35:18
Writing library : libebml v0.7.5 + libmatroska v0.7.7

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Codec ID : H264
Bit rate : 1 230 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.167
Stream size : 215 MiB (83%)
Writing library : x264 core 60 r913bm 64848ff
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:1:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=tesa / subme=7 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=1 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=15 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / rc=abr / bitrate=1230 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=2:1.00

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : Vorbis
Format settings, Floor : 1
Codec ID : A_VORBIS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 112 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 19.7 MiB (8%)
Writing library : libVorbis 1.0 (UTC 2002-07-17)
Language : English

Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : Vorbis
Format settings, Floor : 1
Codec ID : A_VORBIS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 112 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 19.7 MiB (8%)
Writing library : libVorbis 1.0 (UTC 2002-07-17)
Language : Japanese

Text
ID : 4
Format : SSA
Codec ID : S_TEXT/SSA
Codec ID/Info : Sub Station Alpha
Compression mode : Lossless
Language : English

I was also wondering when using HDMI to my TV and the Optical Audio out to my receiver, what settings should I be picking for each to make sure I get Dolby Digital and DTS from my receiver?
post #479 of 2322 Old 05-05-2011, 08:32 PM

Owen, try the methods described above posted by Mike and Maris. Those worked for me.
post #480 of 2322 Old 05-06-2011, 07:25 AM

Can anybody check the Gracenote Video ID function on these new players?
I have the 590 & love streaming MKV movies but always wanted a better UI with cover art being displayed on the main video page.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd650 3d Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , Lg Bd690 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv And 250gb Hard Drive , Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , New Lg 3d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv 1080p Bd650 , Lg , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - Bd670 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page