Official LG BD690/670/650/6xx Series Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2322 Old 03-03-2011, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just want to know if 2d but 3d playback will be any better on the new bd690 compared to the bx580.

Im looking to getting it tomorrow at best buy for 250$ the bx580.

Or should i spring for a different player like a panasonic or samsung and will it matter since i have the lg glasses.on dvd player quality..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2322 Old 03-03-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbosco View Post

I too have the 55lx9500, and received my 650 last night...
MKV's previously unplayable on the 55, work fine on the 650...
Worked fine with shipped original ver 6.1.158 firmare, and updated now ver 8.1.215...
I'm hardwired(net), and use a 2Tbyt(50% loaded) usb drive...
Took a good 30sec to get drive directory, and after stopping movie, takes the same???
Have a "box office" player, and using this usb drive, it's very quick, <5sec...
Hopefully the internal drive on a 690 would be faster...
2d blu's look great, my sound system is not up to par for a review...
Will try 3d here shortly, and update...

Have you had a chance to try Netflix? If so, do it have a search feature?
post #33 of 2322 Old 03-03-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
If you go to the "Overview" page of the US LG AppsTV site (link below), the "Premium Contents" screenshot shows Apps for Twitter, Facebook, CNBC and a few others I can't make out. Another screenshot shows a Web Browser! and yet another shows a TV Apps store with some actual Apps in it. I'm beginning to wonder if the LG TV's with "SmartTV" will have more capabilities, Apps and Premium Content than their BluRay players with "SmartTV" (BD690 and BD670)??

http://us.lgtvapp.com/appspc/overvie...vIntroView.lge
post #34 of 2322 Old 03-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolli View Post

If you go to the "Overview" page of the US LG AppsTV site (link below), the "Premium Contents" screenshot shows Apps for Twitter, Facebook, CNBC and a few others I can't make out. Another screenshot shows a Web Browser! and yet another shows a TV Apps store with some actual Apps in it. I'm beginning to wonder if the LG TV's with "SmartTV" will have more capabilities, Apps and Premium Content than their BluRay players with "SmartTV" (BD690 and BD670)??

http://us.lgtvapp.com/appspc/overvie...vIntroView.lge

I had been wondering the same thing, especially for the Web browser feature. Based on a few quick Google searches, it looks like these Blu-Ray players may be the first LG SmartTV devices to get out. I found reports of the ST600 stand-alone SmartTV "upgrader" and LW9500 and LW7700 LCD sets having SmartTV in CES reports, but none of those models seem to be in the wild. Does anyone know of any other LG SmartTV enabled devices being sold yet?

It's possible that the CES reports referencing Hulu Plus and Amazon were based on prototypes designed to be demoed as opposed to fully functioning applications. Hopefully those apps are in the works, but the apps are still in development.

Similarly, the screenshots on the site could just be a graphic designer's mock-up of what the store might look like rather than a screen capture of an actual test device. The partner logos may or may not reflect actual partner apps in development. I guess it is what it is for now...
post #35 of 2322 Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

I had been wondering the same thing, especially for the Web browser feature. Based on a few quick Google searches, it looks like these Blu-Ray players may be the first LG SmartTV devices to get out. I found reports of the ST600 stand-alone SmartTV "upgrader" and LW9500 and LW7700 LCD sets having SmartTV in CES reports, but none of those models seem to be in the wild. Does anyone know of any other LG SmartTV enabled devices being sold yet?

It's possible that the CES reports referencing Hulu Plus and Amazon were based on prototypes designed to be demoed as opposed to fully functioning applications. Hopefully those apps are in the works, but the apps are still in development.

Similarly, the screenshots on the site could just be a graphic designer's mock-up of what the store might look like rather than a screen capture of an actual test device. The partner logos may or may not reflect actual partner apps in development. I guess it is what it is for now...

I was in a local NJ Best Buy yesterday and they had a few 47" LG LCD boxes on the floor outside of their warehouse doors. The boxes had the SmartTV logo on them! They also had the BD630 and BD640 on an overhead shelf, but did not yet have them in their computer system.
post #36 of 2322 Old 03-04-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I was in a local NJ Best Buy yesterday and they had a few 47" LG LCD boxes on the floor outside of their warehouse doors. The boxes had the SmartTV logo on them! They also had the BD630 and BD640 on an overhead shelf, but did not yet have them in their computer system.

Just a note, I don't think the BD630 or BD640 have Smart TV. Only the BD650 and up do. The 630/640 just have some built in apps, but no access to the app store.
post #37 of 2322 Old 03-04-2011, 02:39 PM

I have a BD530 which I bought back in Nov 2010 at Walmart ($65). I bought it because it would play .mkv files and also movies through the USB. The BD550 wouldn't do either one. Well the DVD tray stopped functioning (wouldn't open) and the letters LOC were on the display. I tried all suggestions (unplugging, holding the power button) but no luck. I called LG and was told it was a bad unit and that they would replace it for free. The only thing is they don't have BD530 anymore, but will give me a BD630. Sounds great, but does anybody know if the BD630 will play .mkv and movies through the USB? The BD530 still plays .mkv movies through USB, so if the BD630 doesn't play .mkv, I might just keep the 530. Thanks for any help.
post #38 of 2322 Old 03-04-2011, 07:12 PM

I ordered the BD650 today from Buydig.com for $187. I will update the thread when I receive shipping confirmation.
post #39 of 2322 Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 PM

Tried upgrading the firm ware for the bd670, but it kept failing. Anyone here had any success?
post #40 of 2322 Old 03-05-2011, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post

Tried upgrading the firm ware for the bd670, but it kept failing. Anyone here had any success?

Jutang,

Read the thread, Vampidemic posted days ago that he upgraded the firmware on his BD670 with no problems. Have you tried it both ways 1)wirelessly straight to the player and 2) download to a flash drive and just plug the drive into the usb port?
post #41 of 2322 Old 03-05-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Jutang,

Read the thread, Vampidemic posted days ago that he upgraded the firmware on his BD670 with no problems. Have you tried it both ways 1)wirelessly straight to the player and 2) download to a flash drive and just plug the drive into the usb port?

My unit is wired directly into the router and has no problems connecting to the internet. When it tries to update, after about 10secs a window pops up saying "update is failed" and the unit turns itself off.

I will try the flash drive method next.
post #42 of 2322 Old 03-05-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My unit is wired directly into the router and has no problems connecting to the internet. When it tries to update, after about 10secs a window pops up saying "update is failed" and the unit turns itself off.

I just picked up a BD670 at Best Buy. I'll post a note in a few hours on my success/failure with the firmware upgrade.
post #43 of 2322 Old 03-05-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Any pictures of these units?
post #44 of 2322 Old 03-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

I was able to update my BD670 successfully over Wi-Fi, but not without issue. I also received the update failed messaging upon my first attempt to update (via the software setting of the settings screen), but after the player powered down and the player was restarted (not sure if it was automatically or manually) I received a prompt for the update and then I was able to update successfully. This player will not do updates with media in the disc drive, so make sure to remove any media (both disc and USB) before initiating the update. The current version of the firmware will force you to eject discs before it updates (not sure about the original version). Seems like the built in firmware has some bugs related to the update process though.
post #45 of 2322 Old 03-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I just picked up a BD670 at Best Buy. I'll post a note in a few hours on my success/failure with the firmware upgrade.

I saw the 670,640 and 630 at a local best buy. I'm still looking for the 650.
post #46 of 2322 Old 03-05-2011, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

I had no problem updating the firmware on my BD670 using a flash drive. I powered it on, went to the setup icon and then plugged in the flash drive. It popped a dialog as the instructions said it would, asking if I wanted to update the software. After I said OK, it took only about 5 minutes for the update process and then it automatically powered down when it completed. I pulled the flash drive and powered it back on and it worked without incident.

FYI, the as delivered firmware was BD.7.62.158.E and it was updated to BD.8.62.221.E.

Some quick observations on the 670 vs the 570:

1) Definitely a nicer looking menu interface vs the floating cubes of the 570.

2) As Vampidemic mentioned, the remote looks much nicer without the shiny plastic and the 4 rubber button arrangement is much easier to use than the 4 way toggle on the 570's remote.

3) Maybe its my imagination, but the quality of the picture (both HD and SD) for streaming video looks better than it did on the 570. For example, the programs I watched regularly on Revision 3, which were mostly in HD, definitely look better on the 670. Also the Revision 3 TV App, is a much nicer interface than accessing Revision 3 through DivxTV. I am connected wirelessly using lowly wireless G and Vudu tests the connection as suitable for 1080P streaming.

4) I've played only one BluRay disk (Social Network) to check the optical digital connection to my receiver (its an older Onkyo without HDMI) and the sound was excellent. The DTS-HD down converts to DTS and the music tracks really pop. Note to anyone that connects to a non-HDMI receiver. Make sure you download the PDF manual from the LG web site (I think its also on the disk that comes with the player) and refer to the matrix on page 62 to determine the correct BD670 Audio settings for your receiver (and read the footnotes, they are important). I have the HDMI out set to PCM Stereo and Digital Audio out set to Primary Pass-Thru (I am actually not using HDMI out right now since my TV only has one HDMI input, and I have not received my HDMI switch yet from Amazon). My current HD video connection is via the red/green/blue component cable outputs and it looks fine.

5) I subscribed to Netflix out of curiousity and for those who asked, it does have a rudimentary search capability but most of the results that come back are "DVD Only" movies that can't be streamed and there is no way to filter the search for streaming content only. Also keying in the search string using the on-screen letter selection is painfully slow. I will probably cancel it after a month or two. Vudu is the Mercedes of streaming services while Netflix is the Chevrolet.

6) I don't do any local video streaming but the 670 quickly found the other computers on my home network and it does a nice job of streaming slide shows of family pictures from networked PC's to the TV. It's a great way to view pictures while lounging on your sofa. Note that you have to set the folder properties on your PC to "share" or you won't be able to see the picture files in those folders.

7) The new VTuner Premium App is kinda neat. It allows you to stream pretty much any large radio station through your sound system. The stations are categorized by genre and region. Otherwise the Premium Apps are the same as the 570, I haven't looked at what Accedo offers.

As others have said, the scarcity of Smart TV Apps available right now is a little disappointing, but I'm sure the selection will grow. Overall I'm happy I unloaded my 570 and paid a few dollars more for the 670.

P.S. One strange thing my 670 did after having done the flash drive firmware update. A few hours later when I went to use it again, after it came on, it popped a dialog that it was updating the firmware. At first I thought that LG had already issued another firmware update, but the dialog was only up for about a minute and it didn't do the auto shut-off when it was done. When I checked the firmware version, it had not changed. So it looks like there is code in the 670, that executes during its first "network connected" boot-up, to automatically check for a firmware update, regardless of whether you had already updated via flash drive. The other two times I had booted it up (#1 was out of the box and #2 was right after the firmware update from the flash drive had completed), I had not yet set up the wireless connection, so it wasn't "network connected".
post #47 of 2322 Old 03-05-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leech1980 View Post
I saw the 670,640 and 630 at a local best buy. I'm still looking for the 650.
Make sure you understand the true specs on the 650. It does not have built-in Wifi. Some web sites are incorrectly listing it as having built-in Wifi. It is only "Wifi capable", you will need an LG Wifi adapter to do wireless.
post #48 of 2322 Old 03-05-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:

Make sure you understand the true specs on the 650. It does not have built-in Wifi. Some web sites are incorrectly listing it as having built-in Wifi. It is only "Wifi capable", you will need an LG Wifi adapter to do wireless.

I'm aware of that. My house is wired for cat5e so I have no need for wifi.
post #49 of 2322 Old 03-06-2011, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Below is a question I asked on the LG Apps TV, Support page, in the "1:1 Inquiry" area. I posted the question at 7AM on 3/3/11 and I'm still awaiting an answer. So far all I've received is an auto-generated confirmation that they received my question. I know that the 2010 Samsung BluRay players had much less Samsung App capability than their LCD/Plasma TV products. I hope the same isn't true for LG SmartTV capable BluRay players vs LG SmartTV capable TVs.

"Will all of the SmartTV Apps function on both LG App capable TVs and the new BD670 and 690 BluRay players? Or will some TV Apps only function on LG TVs?? If some are TV specific, how can I determine this on the Apps site?"
post #50 of 2322 Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 AM

Best Buy in Union Sq New York has the BD630, BD640 and BD670 in stock. I saw maybe 4-5 boxes of each on the shelves.
post #51 of 2322 Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm more curious whether LG finally put in a Gigiabit RJ45 (instead of 100). Any thoughts?
post #52 of 2322 Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The User Guide spec page 71 for the 690 says 10/100. Also lists wireless a/b/g only, no 'n'.
post #53 of 2322 Old 03-07-2011, 01:29 PM

Has anyone actually received a BD690 yet from an internet retailer? There are a couple of sources listed in this thread, but I haven't seen where any forum members have actually taken delivery of a unit.

BestBuy in my area still doesn't have any BD690s in stock and the sales guys couldn't give me an estimated availability a couple of days ago. FWIW, bestbuy.com now has the predecessor BD590 units moved over to its "Outlet Center", so I guess BB may be getting ready to stock the BD690s. Are the 690s in stock at any brick and mortar store in the USA?
post #54 of 2322 Old 03-07-2011, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lglmoris View Post

The User Guide spec page 71 for the 690 says 10/100. Also lists wireless a/b/g only, no 'n'.

The BD690 has dual band wireless n capability. See pg 22 of the user manual.
post #55 of 2322 Old 03-07-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like it may be a while before the Twitter and Facebook Apps shown in many LG SmartTV previews and photos become available. The press release below (note the date), says LG has only just selected a vendor to develop the Apps for them! I guess the "United States" and the "English" language are not included in those 100 countries and 30 languages.

(March 1, 2011) Accedo Broadband, the leading provider of Connected TV applications, has announced that LG Electronics (LG) selected Accedo to develop Facebook and Twitter applications for LG Smart TVs.
"We are happy to be working with LG to develop and launch Facebook and Twitter for LG Smart TV." commented Michael Lantz, CEO, Accedo Broadband. "Bringing two of the world's most popular social web sites to the living room provides an excellent showcase for the potential of the smart TV platform".

"Accedo has deep experience with connected TV applications, and particularly the LG Smart TV platform. Accedo was a logical choice when we decided to launch TV applications" said Il-geun Kwon, Head of LCD TV Lab. "Their pragmatic approach and dedication to deadlines made it possible for us launch the two applications globally within a short timeframe.

Facebook and Twitter for LG Smart TV are now available in over 100 countries and 30 languages on 2010 and 2011 LG Smart TVs. Facebook users can see the latest updates, photos and videos from their friends. Twitter followers can see the latest tweets and send their own updates via the onscreen keyboard.
post #56 of 2322 Old 03-08-2011, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Looks like it may be a while before the Twitter and Facebook Apps shown in many LG SmartTV previews and photos become available. The press release below (note the date), says LG has only just selected a vendor to develop the Apps for them! I guess the "United States" and the "English" language are not included in those 100 countries and 30 languages.

(March 1, 2011) Accedo Broadband, the leading provider of Connected TV applications, has announced that LG Electronics (LG) selected Accedo to develop Facebook and Twitter applications for LG Smart TVs.
"We are happy to be working with LG to develop and launch Facebook and Twitter for LG Smart TV." commented Michael Lantz, CEO, Accedo Broadband. "Bringing two of the world's most popular social web sites to the living room provides an excellent showcase for the potential of the smart TV platform".

"Accedo has deep experience with connected TV applications, and particularly the LG Smart TV platform. Accedo was a logical choice when we decided to launch TV applications" said Il-geun Kwon, Head of LCD TV Lab. "Their pragmatic approach and dedication to deadlines made it possible for us launch the two applications globally within a short timeframe.

Facebook and Twitter for LG Smart TV are now available in over 100 countries and 30 languages on 2010 and 2011 LG Smart TVs. Facebook users can see the latest updates, photos and videos from their friends. Twitter followers can see the latest tweets and send their own updates via the onscreen keyboard.
I sent a note to Accedo asking why Facebook and Twitter are not available in the US on LG BluRay players with SmartTV capability. They promptly wrote back and said they are currently available only on LG TVs with SmartTV and that the BluRay players will require a firmware update before Facebook and Twitter will be available through LG BluRay players. They had no timetable for the firmware update other than stating that it would be "in the near future". So this is the first clear indication that SmartTV capability will definitely vary based on whether you have an LG TV or LG BluRay player.
post #57 of 2322 Old 03-08-2011, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I sent a note to Accedo asking why Facebook and Twitter are not available in the US on LG BluRay players with SmartTV capability. They promptly wrote back and said they are currently available only on LG TVs with SmartTV and that the BluRay players will require a firmware update before Facebook and Twitter will be available through LG BluRay players. They had no timetable for the firmware update other than stating that it would be "in the near future". So this is the first clear indication that SmartTV capability will definitely vary based on whether you have an LG TV or LG BluRay player.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the way with many manufacturers. I'm guessing this is because the added technology in TV's that allow these better apps would just add too much cost to the Blu-Ray players.

I'll be curious of their upcoming ST600 media streamer will be on par with their TV's ability/app wise or just their Blu-Ray players.
post #58 of 2322 Old 03-08-2011, 06:33 AM

I've never setup a DLNA device before for access to local network resources.

My BD 670 should arrive tonight via UPS.

From a Windows PC, do I:

Put the media in a folder and share it with read access to both the share and the NTFS security for the guest user account or can I use a named user account with a username and password?

Have to turn on the computer browser service? or can I enter the NetBIOS name and/or IP of the computer acting as the server?

Have to have the LG BD670 and the server on the same subnet? It would be very convienient for me if I could have them on different physical networks and therefore different subnets.

TIA

BTW great forum!
post #59 of 2322 Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 AM

Received my BD690 last Tuesday from Electronics Expo. Haven't done much with it yet except watch a couple movies on Vudu and one BluRay. Using the HDMI connnection into a Denon receiver.
post #60 of 2322 Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 AM

Emailed the LG rep asking when apps such as Amazon and Hulu Plus will be available.
Their reply is there is no time frame.
---------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting LG Electronics. I will gladly assist you with your inquiry.

Regretfully, we do not have the release date for the new applications in the LG stores and the player should give you a message with the updates.

I hope the information on this message results helpful, and if you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 1-800-243-0000 at your convenience.

Virginia Q.
E-mail Administrator
LGEAI | Customer Interactive Center
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd650 3d Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , Lg Bd690 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv And 250gb Hard Drive , Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , New Lg 3d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv 1080p Bd650 , Lg , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - Bd670 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page