post #721 of 2325 Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empirical View Post

It is unusable. No login defies common sense. Auto start of un-chosen clips is plain ignant

And not just that, but the fact that we have to type in the ENTIRE NAME OF THE CLIP we are looking for, instead of having YouTube finish the phrase for us LIKE IT USED TO. Also, the clips we are given are not the same ones that we are given on the computer! WTF!? It really is a useless app. I get embarrassed every time a friend wants to check it out because it takes forever to type in what we are looking for, and then it takes even longer to browse the results to find it, because what we are looking for is never at the top of the list like it is with the computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2325 Old 06-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I urge EVERYONE who happens to read this thread to please go here and write a message to tell them how much the YouTube interface SUCKS.

www (dot) lg (dot) com/us/support/contact/support-message (dot) jsp

Here is a recap of the issues (these are mine; you may have others):

1. General comment: Compared to the excellent BD390 interface, this is an unconscionably huge step backward.

2. It starts playing random unwanted clips on startup, and continuing unless you pause them. The other night it started playing a clip called "**** You" for the enjoyment of my family which includes two young kids. This is simply inexcusable. We want to watch random YouTube clips about as much as we want Google to send us to random websites. Sheesh!

3. Auto-suggest, which worked well on the BD390, is gone. You have to type in the whole search term.

4. The interface consists of a big stupid keyboard superimposed on the randomly-playing videos. Compare that to the slick interface present on older models like the BD390, which had Search, History, Favorites, and Top Videos tabs.

5. It takes longer to start up than the BD390's YouTube implementation did.\\

6. Search results are displayed in a ridiculous little strip on the very bottom of the display, and each thumbnail is tiny enough to be almost useless. Compare that to the nice large search results of the previous implementation. On the new search results screen, 95% of the screen is wasted blank space.

7. If you play a video from your search results, it plays that one and then goes automatically to the next one in your results. STOP THAT ALREADY.

8. The search results themselves are less accurate than before.

9. The search keyboard itself is more sluggish and less responsive than the old keyboard. Compounded with item #3 -- no auto-suggest -- this makes for a long, frustrating search.

10. Videos take longer to load, on average, than they did with the old interface.

Bottom line: It's a pathetic piece of garbage, and LG NEEDS TO HEAR ABOUT IT from as many people as possible.

Thanks.
post #723 of 2325 Old 06-22-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenaltyShot View Post

I urge EVERYONE who happens to read this thread to please go here and write a message to tell them how much the YouTube interface SUCKS.

1. General comment: Compared to the excellent BD390 interface, this is an unconscionably huge step backward.

2. It starts playing random unwanted clips on startup, and continuing unless you pause them. The other night it started playing a clip called "**** You" for the enjoyment of my family which includes two young kids. This is simply inexcusable. We want to watch random YouTube clips about as much as we want Google to send us to random websites. Sheesh!

3. Auto-suggest, which worked well on the BD390, is gone. You have to type in the whole search term.

4. The interface consists of a big stupid keyboard superimposed on the randomly-playing videos. Compare that to the slick interface present on older models like the BD390, which had Search, History, Favorites, and Top Videos tabs.

6. Search results are displayed in a ridiculous little strip on the very bottom of the display, and each thumbnail is tiny enough to be almost useless. Compare that to the nice large search results of the previous implementation. On the new search results screen, 95% of the screen is wasted blank space.

7. If you play a video from your search results, it plays that one and then goes automatically to the next one in your results. STOP THAT ALREADY.

9. The search keyboard itself is more sluggish and less responsive than the old keyboard. Compounded with item #3 -- no auto-suggest -- this makes for a long, frustrating search.

10. Videos take longer to load, on average, than they did with the old interface.

Bottom line: It's a pathetic piece of garbage, and LG NEEDS TO HEAR ABOUT IT from as many people as possible.

Thanks.

I certainly agree, but I think you need to direct constructive criticism of the app / interface to you tube / google , not LGE.
post #724 of 2325 Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 PM

Got a new SW Update for BD670 tonight.

Went from 8.62.296 to 8.62.321

If I notice any changes I'll post about them.

EDIT

Well there's a big change right away. First there is an LG Apps button now in the main menu. Below the main icons there is now a second strip of icons.

In that group of icons are the following:
A "Search" button that does nothing, it says "Coming soon" if you click on it.

There's another "LG Apps" button that ALSO does nothing it says "The service is not available in the seclected country."

Also there's a "My Apps" button that actually does do something. It brings you to another screen that looks like it's for installing apps on the player.

Oh also on most screens there is now a big sign in button in the top right of the screen. You push the red button on your remote to go there. It brings up a sign in screen that says "The service is not available in the seclected country."

EDIT 2
Oh and if anyone is wondering the Youtube app is still junk. No functions have changed in it. It still just loads random crap and right now it's playing a horribly annoying video called "The Best Song (Jon Lajoie)". After five seconds of this crap I closed the youtube app.
post #725 of 2325 Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 PM

aaaaaaaaaaaand here come the low quality webcam pictures!
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #726 of 2325 Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

I totally agree. I am a recent purchaser of this unit and have just explored the 'app' options.

This You Tube app is appalling! This is an embarrassment to both You Tube and LG. How they could allow something like this to be included is beyond me. When I first started the app it started playing this diatribe full of so much profanity that even I had never heard of some of the words. There's probably a law suit opportunity here. There is no warning that the viewer could be exposed to this kind of material! it's an abomination and should be removed forthwith! I am writing to both You Tube and LG to make them aware of this awful, awful piece of #@!~!! Doesn't anybody review what they are releasing anymore! I didn't even get to the navigation/search interface I exited as soon as I could.

W
post #727 of 2325 Old 06-23-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:

I certainly agree, but I think you need to direct constructive criticism of the app / interface to you tube / google , not LGE.

This is not true. You need to blame LG on this one.

Google/Youtube provides the API to interface with the videos. Its up to the programmer (LG) to make a proper app to interface with the API.
post #728 of 2325 Old 06-23-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post

This is not true. You need to blame LG on this one.

Google/Youtube provides the API to interface with the videos. Its up to the programmer (LG) to make a proper app to interface with the API.

Sorry but I completely disagree. This upgrade to the old version was done at you tube's behest. "Leancrap", I mean leanback is youtube's new product.

http://answers.lg.com/answers/7676/p...uestion=500891
post #729 of 2325 Old 06-23-2011, 09:54 AM

Does anyone know if there is a way to repeat in a loop the videos that are saved in the HDD?
It seems that it only allows that function on the DVD but not the HDD.
post #730 of 2325 Old 06-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

I agree to a point. Something like adding apps to a player capable of being updated (since I have had my 570 DIVX was added well after the fact) I don't believe is asking too much. I mean, that was the point a year or three ago when it was a premium to get a unit that could be updated (usually for a small fee). It promotes goodwill and loyal consumership. Now If I buy a Honda and want an Acura I'm SOL obviously. But that is like saying if I buy a 2D BD player and want 3D (this is hardware issue) I'm SOL. THAT is why you pay more, the hardware, NOT so much the FW.FW updates doesn't make things so much "better" as it does adds something desireable.

I agree that one would know if one is buying a honda or acura as that is analogous to HW issue. My question was simple if there was chance of LG including some or all of smart tv apps on 630 based on the history, and not whether it is fair or not (if one bought a >650 model with smart tv only to find out that LG included with 630 also).

Any responses to my other question - do all 650 have MTK chip and therefore with lesser issues. TIA.
post #731 of 2325 Old 06-23-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdhoni View Post
Any responses to my other question - do all 650 have MTK chip and therefore with lesser issues. TIA.
I have a 650. I have faced almost all issues, like, chapter change glitch, reboots etc. I did not face some of the issues that were faced by others only because those were not present in my use pattern. [ like hdd issues, streaming some specific format files etc.]

--
Srikant
post #732 of 2325 Old 06-23-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Why? LGE are the ones using that garbage app, and certainly they don't have to. They had something much, much better on the BD390; why can't they demand a YouTube implementation that is just as good or better than that on the BD690? They have clout in this. That is what LGE needs to hear about.
post #733 of 2325 Old 06-23-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Why? LGE are the ones using that garbage app, and certainly they don't have to. They had something much, much better on the BD390; why can't they demand a YouTube implementation that is just as good or better than that on the BD690? They have clout in this. That is what LGE needs to hear about.
Smarten up. You tube 's app. Common friggin sense.

post #734 of 2325 Old 06-23-2011, 06:09 PM

Besides the YouTube debacle, there are some other problems and annoyances with this unit:

1. The stupid dock at the bottom of the screen is only for LG Apps. You can't put Premium Apps on it (like Netflix -- I'd love to put Netflix on that dock for easy access). Sorry, but 99.9999% of the available LG Apps are complete jokes. Totally worthless crap. And there is no option to get rid of the dock if I don't want it there!

2. I am hooked up wireless. Every time I access my media, I click on Nero Mediahome and it informs me that "It is connected wireless," and warns me that interference could be a problem. Yeah, fine, I click OK. And instead of continuing, it just goes back to the source list again. So I click on Nero Mediahome a second time, and it finally goes through. Annoying.

3. What's that ugly eyesore "Infinity" billboard street scene behind the Premium Apps icons? 1995 called and wants its graphics back. (Yes, I know that the background changes to reflect the current time and weather. Storm clouds, sunny skies, etc. Big whoop. I can look out my window and get a much better indication of that, with waaay better graphics.)

4. The Premium Apps icons are lined up weirdly. I hate the way they scroll horizontally and the initial display always shows about half of the furthest icons to the right; part of them off-screen. That's just sloppy.

5. OK, another YouTube glitch. After bringing up search results, and before I click on one of the thumbnails to play something, sometimes my TV screen just goes blank. I have no idea why.

6. My brain has never fully adjusted to the fact that the power button is directly over the tray, where I'd expect the eject button to be, and the eject button is way over on the right, where I'd expect the power button to be. I still mess up every once in a while and hit the wrong button.
post #735 of 2325 Old 06-23-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Smarten up. You tube 's app. Common friggin sense.

Common sense is telling the manufacturer of the device that that is USING that app that YouTube friggin' app is NOT CUTTING IT. Put the pressure on the manufacturer AND on YouTube. This is not a one-or-the-other proposition. LGE is not just some helpless victim of YouTube's authority.

Let BOTH of them be aware of your extreme disappointment.

THAT is common friggin' sense, buddy.
post #736 of 2325 Old 06-23-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Common sense is telling the manufacturer of the device that that is USING that app that YouTube friggin' app is NOT CUTTING IT. Put the pressure on the manufacturer AND on YouTube. This is not a one-or-the-other proposition. LGE is not just some helpless victim of YouTube's authority.

This is the YouTube app, period! That means it is the YouTube app on a Panasonic, a Sony, a Samsung. Address your frustration to YouTube as they are the only ones that could do anything to improve it. You can tell LGE all day, they aren't going to be the ones to fix it.
post #737 of 2325 Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Besides the YouTube debacle, there are some other problems and annoyances with this unit:

1. The stupid dock at the bottom of the screen is only for LG Apps. You can't put Premium Apps on it (like Netflix -- I'd love to put Netflix on that dock for easy access). Sorry, but 99.9999% of the available LG Apps are complete jokes. Totally worthless crap. And there is no option to get rid of the dock if I don't want it there!

2. I am hooked up wireless. Every time I access my media, I click on Nero Mediahome and it informs me that "It is connected wireless," and warns me that interference could be a problem. Yeah, fine, I click OK. And instead of continuing, it just goes back to the source list again. So I click on Nero Mediahome a second time, and it finally goes through. Annoying.
I agree about the dock. I don't want it, either.

As for the "It is connected wireless" thing - I use the WMP12 as my DLNA server, and it only puts me through that (as well as it not working the first time) if the LG player had just been unplugged. You know when it's unplugged and then takes longer to load (because the memory had been reset) - that's when it happens. Other than that, it takes me right to my folders.
post #738 of 2325 Old 06-23-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
This is the YouTube app, period! That means it is the YouTube app on a Panasonic, a Sony, a Samsung. Address your frustration to YouTube as they are the only ones that could do anything to improve it. You can tell LGE all day, they aren't going to be the ones to fix it.
Not gonna argue with you anymore, buddy, 'cause you're obviously not getting it. Relentless pressure on the manufacturers can and should have the effect of increasing the pressure on YouTube. You want to treat this as if YouTube were operating in a vacuum, does not have partnerships with the manufacturers, and the manufacturers simply have to take whatever they get from YouTube, be satisfied with it and shut up if they aren't. This is a completely false and unrealistic assumption on your part. Business partnerships don't work like that; there are many dynamics at play, not the least of which is that the manufacturers are out to SELL UNITS and if they are getting a ton of negative feedback they are eventually going to contact their partners and start making demands to rectify that situation.

Fight this war on multiple fronts, I say.
post #739 of 2325 Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
In case anyone was wondering, the latest firmware update (BD.8.62.308.E) does not resolve the DVD audio drop out following chapter change issue.

So far I have not noticed any obvious differences from the previous few firmware versions. I just installed the update (along with the Premium Apps update) tonight so I haven't spent much time with it yet. Tested one DVD, one Blu-Ray and one stream from Amazon and didn't notice any issues other than the DVD drop out issue.
post #740 of 2325 Old 06-24-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:

Not gonna argue with you anymore, buddy, 'cause you're obviously not getting it. Relentless pressure on the manufacturers can and should have the effect of increasing the pressure on YouTube. You want to treat this as if YouTube were operating in a vacuum, does not have partnerships with the manufacturers, and the manufacturers simply have to take whatever they get from YouTube, be satisfied with it and shut up if they aren't. This is a completely false and unrealistic assumption on your part. Business partnerships don't work like that; there are many dynamics at play, not the least of which is that the manufacturers are out to SELL UNITS and if they are getting a ton of negative feedback they are eventually going to contact their partners and start making demands to rectify that situation.

Fight this war on multiple fronts, I say.

And i'm not gonna argue you with you junior but I will offer you some wisdom in regard to your belief that LGE is going to force YouTube to rework their current app: "Crap in one hand and wish in the other, see what one fills up first"
post #741 of 2325 Old 06-24-2011, 09:23 AM

Liked: 23
Has anyone had any luck getting 5.1 audio from Netflix? I have a Panasonic BDT210 that gets 5.1DD on certain movies from Netflix but I can only get stereo signals from the same movies on the LG BD670.
Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Doug

TV Room Upgrade Completed

post #742 of 2325 Old 06-24-2011, 09:23 AM

The 630/640 have a new system firmware available dated at 6/21. Does anyone know what it fixes? I am of the belief in only fixing something that is broken, and so far my 630 has mastered everything I've thrown at it.
post #743 of 2325 Old 06-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Netflix encodes surround as Dolby Digital Plus, so any playback device must be capable of handling/decoding that codec. Within the "plus" signal, the legacy signal resides, but the device needs to "pull it out". Some do, some don't. It seems as if your Panny does and the LG doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

Has anyone had any luck getting 5.1 audio from Netflix? I have a Panasonic BDT210 that gets 5.1DD on certain movies from Netflix but I can only get stereo signals from the same movies on the LG BD670.
Am I missing a setting somewhere?

post #744 of 2325 Old 06-24-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

The 630/640 have a new system firmware available dated at 6/21. Does anyone know what it fixes? I am of the belief in only fixing something that is broken, and so far my 630 has mastered everything I've thrown at it.

I updated my 640 yesterday and don't notice anything working any better or worse than before. I've had no problems with the 640 and I'm satisfied with it. I don't ask too much of it because I have a Samsung TV that has apps already on it, plus i hook my disk drive up to the usb port on the Samsung so I only really need the 640 as a blu-ray and dvd player.

My bone to pick is why can't LG or Samsung for that matter put out a change/fix list along with the software update so we know what they are fixing/improving instead of playing russian roulette with these software updates.
post #745 of 2325 Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:

My Samsung TV has the youtube app already on it and it is more trouble than it is worth to try and navigate. For me youtube is better watched on the computer.
post #746 of 2325 Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlii View Post

I updated my 640 yesterday and don't notice anything working any better or worse than before. I've had no problems with the 640 and I'm satisfied with it. I don't ask too much of it because I have a Samsung TV that has apps already on it, plus i hook my disk drive up to the usb port on the Samsung so I only really need the 640 as a blu-ray and dvd player.

My bone to pick is why can't LG or Samsung for that matter put out a change/fix list along with the software update so we know what they are fixing/improving instead of playing russian roulette with these software updates.

That's a valid point that several people have made. Agreed.
post #747 of 2325 Old 06-24-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlii View Post

My Samsung TV has the youtube app already on it and it is more trouble than it is worth to try and navigate. For me youtube is better watched on the computer.

Yes but the old YouTube app was quite usable. You could log in, flag favorites, etc. The YouTube app "Leancrap" is terrible.
post #748 of 2325 Old 06-24-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:

It has always clearly been youtube's ... fault.

From what I understand (am I wrong?) some other blu-ray players or smart tv's have a better youtube app. So why would they design LG's youtube app to be crap and make others' better.

If indeed all "smart tv's" etc. have the same crappy youtube app then I agree with those who say youtube / google should be contacted about making it better, no not just better, making it usable.

I also agree with those who say we should contact LG about it. Look, LG does indeed have the right to accept or not accept the app. In this case they should have looked at it, saw that it is a step backwards and a worthless piece of excrement and said to youtube, "Are you effing KIDDING me? We're NOT putting that crap on our menu!" And that might force youtube to re-design it. And frankly I really would rather NOT have it on there at all in its present form. It's indeed a ridiculous embarrassment to all involved.

Stop. Rewind. Be kind.
post #749 of 2325 Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:

It is unusable. No login defies common sense. Auto start of un-chosen clips is plain ignant

Yes, and it's IGNORANT too!

Stop. Rewind. Be kind.
post #750 of 2325 Old 06-24-2011, 03:34 PM

An acquaintance of mine wrote this and I think it is worth considering. Is he right? I am not a techie, really so I have no idea. But it sounds like he coudl be right, that the HDMI interfaces between different tv's and LG's blu-ray player - in this case I am referring to the BD670 - might be the problem, not just the player itself:

[quote] "Obviously this is an HDMI issue of some sort and almost certainly firmware related rather than hardware related. On my Oppo BDP-80 I get occasional audio drop outs during studio logo audio at the start of discs but only on DVD's. THIS IS WHY I HATE HDMI.

Some users will experience audio drop out apparently, where others will not and this wholly depends upon the TV HDMI version, the firmware on the player and the firmware and HDMI version in the receiver. Any one of those things can screw it up and troubleshooting it is a major pain in the rear. With a 3 way combination of components, there is much that can go wrong with an HDMI connection. The reason I even mention my Oppo is that is is connected via HDMI thru my Denon receiver and on to my LG LE54000. Blu Ray never drops audio, but DVD playback DOES , usually at the start of the disc.

I will make a wild guess and say the problems many seem to have with DVD audio on the BD630 [sic] are most probably HDCP related within the HDMI handshake process. (or some such thing) Some people will experience it, while others will not depending on the combination of equipment you are using and there is just no way to tell if you will be affected without trying YOUR specific combination first. (or if that combo is already documented by someone else on various online forums)

Of course, things SHOULD NOT be this way and it totally sucks. However, with every HDMI device out there sometimes behaving differently, varying firmware version interacting and the overall mucking up of things by HDCP , it is a wonder this stuff works at all. If I got constant DVD audio drop outs on ANY piece of my gear I would get rid of it immediately IF I knew which piece of gear was actually causing the trouble since it is a combination of factors that usually causes this problem. ARGHHHHH!!!!!!" [end quote]

Again, I am not a techie but it sounds like this guy (named Marty) may have an idea of what he's talking about.

As a start, I think it might be useful if everyone who is having the dvd audio dropout problem and everyone who is NOT having the problem will tell everyone else what tv and receiver they are using to connect their BD670. Maybe there is a pattern there...

I am using a Yamaha V363 receiver and a Samsung 3242 TV to connect my BD670. The HDMI is going directly into the TV from the BluRay and I am using an optical audio cable from the bluray to a 363 Yamaha receiver.

Stop. Rewind. Be kind.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd650 3d Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , Lg Bd690 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv And 250gb Hard Drive , Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , New Lg 3d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv 1080p Bd650 , Lg , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - Bd670 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page