Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 2322 Old 07-07-2011, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintstone1 View Post

"That said, I recognize that their BD670 is - theoretically - the best player on the market at its price point, in terms of playing files from a USB drive .."

I disagree, BD670 is BluRay/DVD player and this is it's primary function. If player costs around $150 and can't play DVDs as good as $50 player I wouldn't consider it best in any way. If you want something primarily to stream files and to have web applications this should be Media Player device like ROKU, the ones from WD, ASUS etc.
The most annoying thing is that according to the posts here, playback issues were introduced with firmware 280e and LG does not care to fix or at least to give us option to downgrade. How do they test the new stuff, do they test it at all - that is the question

I agree and disagree. I made it clear that I was talking "in terms of it playing files from a USB". In that respect it is the best blu-ray player, and several other blu-ray players have this function. It is my opinion that blu-ray players are going to continue to expand on this idea and that over time many may play many files and have a Windows Explorer type interface.

The ROKU is indeed better for streaming movies from the net, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't play nearly as many files as the BD670 does via USB.

In any case, I think a lot of people who bought the BD670 chose it over others due to its ability to play video files from the USB. ALL BluRay players play bluray discs and all of them play dvd's without problems, except for the BD670, so really it is the USB function which sets the BD670 apart from others because of its ability to play most video files. I looked at Sony, Samsung, Panasonic etc. and chose the LG mostly because of its ability to play video files like .mkv and .flv etc. But unfortunately the inability to play dvd's accurately makes it a stupid choice.

And yes I agree that LG's lack of testing makes them seem like a crappy company (this and their lousy tech support), and in fact my BD630 has issues with the power button, and with freezing up, so I'm not really very enthusiastic about LG products at this point. That said, I would still buy the LG670 if they got it fixed to play dvd's while still playing all the video files it plays now.

Stop. Rewind. Be kind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2322 Old 07-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hello All,

I just installed the latest update for my US model BD670, update BD.8.62.334.E, released on July 4th. The update is available for download from the LG.com US Web site as well as being available through the player's update function.

This update seems to have fixed the DVD audio/video drop out after chapter change issue!

I was able to consistently reproduce this issue previously on updates .280.E, .296.E and .308.E with my DVD copy of "The Firm" as well as most every other DVD that I tried. However, when I skip to a chapter change then rewind back just before it and play, I am no longer able to reproduce this issue under version BD.8.62.334.E. I tested this with the "Firm" and two other DVDs which previously exhibited the problem.

I also used Mad Men Season 4 to test Blu-Ray playback. The first time I played the disc there was no audio at all. However, this seemed to be a temporary glitch with the player. That set of discs has a preference to disable audio on the menus. When I first loaded, I heard audio in the Lions Gate trailer prior to the menu loading, but I heard no audio in the menus (as expected) and no audio in the episodes (not expected). After this happened, I turned on audio for the menus, exited out of the disc, reloaded the disc and it was working fine. I subsequently changed the preference back so that audio was disabled in the menus. After that, everything worked fine as well (audio plays correctly in the episodes but is muted in the menus as desired).

I also tested Amazon VOD briefly and that seems to be working fine.

I have only had the update installed for about 45 minutes, so I haven't had a chance to test extensively or even watch an entire program from start to finish, but based on my initial testing this update overall seems to be working well and seems to have fixed the top issue which people on this board have been complaining about.

(I will discount the no audio issue as a temporary glitch with the player since it is now working but wanted to describe what I did in case others see similar issues.)
post #813 of 2322 Old 07-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just updated to the .334.E firmware, too, and am very happy that the DVD audio glitch is finally fixed! LG also seems to have added a "Quick Start" option in the settings, and we finally have access to 'WiFi-Direct' when we click on 'Movies.' Not sure what else has been changed, but so far... it seems like we finally have a stable firmware that also gave us some additional features.

I am, however, still waiting for this to be fixed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post

In addition, does anybody know how to force these players to re-download the Premium updates? The size of the boxes on mine look weird - some are larger than others, etc... It wasn't like this before updating to the .299 firmware - and now that I've gone back to the .285 firmware, the boxes haven't gone back to normal. Really weird. Anyway, I'm sure it will be fixed the next time a Premium update comes, but who knows when that will be - so I wonder if there is a way to force the player to re-download the update.

For anyone who cares, I will update you on this:

So, after getting a picture of my friend’s LG LHB536 setup (running the latest firmware – 308.E), I now see that my Premium update was not corrupted – but rather – I was given access to an update that I should not have been given access to. I have some pictures to prove it. As you can see, my friend has the correct Premium apps, with the right sizes, and his "I-play TV" app has "BETA" written under it, as it should. Mine lacks "BETA." Also, we have different YouTube icons. And of course, I have some oversized icons (the CinemaNOW and Amazon icons are oversized too – and we have different NBA icons). Just thought I would give you guys a couple of quick pics of this.

I have no idea why I got this update and nobody else that I know did, but whatever. I’m sure it will be fixed soon. Please click the "Show" button to see the pics.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

My friend's (which is the normal Premium app update):

Mine (which looks like some buggy beta version):

post #814 of 2322 Old 07-08-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Hello All,

I just installed the latest update for my US model BD670, update BD.8.62.334.E, released on July 4th. The update is available for download from the LG.com US Web site as well as being available through the player's update function.

This update seems to have fixed the DVD audio/video drop out after chapter change issue!

I was able to consistently reproduce this issue previously on updates .280.E, .296.E and .308.E with my DVD copy of "The Firm" as well as most every other DVD that I tried. However, when I skip to a chapter change then rewind back just before it and play, I am no longer able to reproduce this issue under version BD.8.62.334.E. I tested this with the "Firm" and two other DVDs which previously exhibited the problem.

I also used Mad Men Season 4 to test Blu-Ray playback. The first time I played the disc there was no audio at all. However, this seemed to be a temporary glitch with the player. That set of discs has a preference to disable audio on the menus. When I first loaded, I heard audio in the Lions Gate trailer prior to the menu loading, but I heard no audio in the menus (as expected) and no audio in the episodes (not expected). After this happened, I turned on audio for the menus, exited out of the disc, reloaded the disc and it was working fine. I subsequently changed the preference back so that audio was disabled in the menus. After that, everything worked fine as well (audio plays correctly in the episodes but is muted in the menus as desired).

I also tested Amazon VOD briefly and that seems to be working fine.

I have only had the update installed for about 45 minutes, so I haven't had a chance to test extensively or even watch an entire program from start to finish, but based on my initial testing this update overall seems to be working well and seems to have fixed the top issue which people on this board have been complaining about.

(I will discount the no audio issue as a temporary glitch with the player since it is now working but wanted to describe what I did in case others see similar issues.)

This is great news! If others confirm this, my 630 with Power On and Off issues (it sometimes takes 2 or 3 button presses to power on or off) will go back to BB in favor of the BD670!

Stop. Rewind. Be kind.
post #815 of 2322 Old 07-08-2011, 01:12 PM

Knock on wood...but my 630 has never experienced any power cycling issues. Yours may be an isolated incident, so I'd return it regardless for either a new 630 or 670. In fact, the 630 has been the most rock-solid BDR player I've ever had, and I've gone through a few Sonys along the way. Love my 630.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAzul View Post
This is great news! If others confirm this, my 630 with Power On and Off issues (it sometimes takes 2 or 3 button presses to power on or off) will go back to BB in favor of the BD670!
post #816 of 2322 Old 07-08-2011, 02:36 PM

Liked: 23
I have a 670 with the audio issue and after installing the BD.8.62.334.E update and playing a movie that always dropped the audio at chapter changes; I'm glad to report that at least with this one movie (The Transporter), the audio stutter is gone.
I'll watch a couple more movies over the weekend and keep my fingers crossed.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Completed

post #817 of 2322 Old 07-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

I have a 670 with the audio issue and after installing the BD.8.62.334.E update and playing a movie that always dropped the audio at chapter changes; I'm glad to report that at least with this one movie (The Transporter), the audio stutter is gone.

My test disc (I won't say which, since I want them to have a fix for *all* discs and not just specific ones) that always stuttered on the last few firmware updates no longer stutters. The new update fixed everything.
post #818 of 2322 Old 07-08-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

Knock on wood...but my 630 has never experienced any power cycling issues. Yours may be an isolated incident, so I'd return it regardless for either a new 630 or 670. In fact, the 630 has been the most rock-solid BDR player I've ever had, and I've gone through a few Sonys along the way. Love my 630.

I think knocking on wood is a good idea because I had a BD630 and had power cycling issues as well. But I also had freezes (I'd have to unplug the unit and wait like a minute before it actually powered off), so maybe I just had a really faulty unit. Wait...I just reread RayAzul's post and he had it freeze as well, so perhaps it is more common.

In any case, I got a 670 at Fry's for $120 and sent the 630 back (this was a few months ago) and so far that's been a great choice. I don't watch many DVDs so I didn't notice any problems on that end, and I haven't had any real problems with Blu discs thus far. Or at least none that I could remember. The larger selection of streaming services and file support were major pluses too.
post #819 of 2322 Old 07-08-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

This is great news.
I hope by next week we'll have more reports from people who have thoroughly tested it, of this audio stutter being fixed. I really want to trade my 630 in for the 670 because of the USB abilities the 670 has that the 630 does not. (The 670 plays .flv, .mkv and I think some .avi's that the 630 won't play as well.) This is worth a lot to me for it to be able to play back mostly "anything I throw at it".

Stop. Rewind. Be kind.
post #820 of 2322 Old 07-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Seems that LG (or being more precise, Broadcom) now understand the fiirmware problems that caused the playback issues. They managed to resolve these problems (BD playback problems, DVD audio dropouts) with new firmware versions for the BD3, BD5 and BD6 player series. So I am very confident that they finally got it.

Best regards, maris
post #821 of 2322 Old 07-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Ugh. Just clicked on Premium, got an update, but I am still having this problem:

Quote:

In addition, does anybody know how to force these players to re-download the Premium updates? The size of the boxes on mine look weird - some are larger than others, etc... It wasn't like this before updating to the .299 firmware - and now that I've gone back to the .285 firmware, the boxes haven't gone back to normal. Really weird. Anyway, I'm sure it will be fixed the next time a Premium update comes, but who knows when that will be - so I wonder if there is a way to force the player to re-download the update.

For anyone who cares, I will update you on this:

So, after getting a picture of my friend’s LG LHB536 setup (running the latest firmware – 308.E), I now see that my Premium update was not corrupted – but rather – I was given access to an update that I should not have been given access to. I have some pictures to prove it. As you can see, my friend has the correct Premium apps, with the right sizes, and his "I-play TV" app has "BETA" written under it, as it should. Mine lacks "BETA." Also, we have different YouTube icons. And of course, I have some oversized icons (the CinemaNOW and Amazon icons are oversized too – and we have different NBA icons). Just thought I would give you guys a couple of quick pics of this.

I have no idea why I got this update and nobody else that I know did, but whatever. I’m sure it will be fixed soon. Please click the "Show" button to see the pics.

Spoiler  

My friend's (which is the normal Premium app update):

Mine (which looks like some buggy beta version):

post #822 of 2322 Old 07-09-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:

Ugh. Just clicked on Premium, got an update, but I am still having this problem:

Have you talked to anyone at LG about this? I know their tech support sucks, but it seems this would just be a matter of re-setting your player back to pre-update and then adding back the good updates minus the bad update...

Stop. Rewind. Be kind.
post #823 of 2322 Old 07-09-2011, 03:45 AM

Hi guys,
I bought the unit 2 month ago and never connected to internet( missed all problems with updating so far-guess I am waiting for perfect release!)
But-my main source-USB is doing fine with exception that it cannot play 2types of the audio:
1. 1576 kbps/1510 kbps , 48 KHz, 24 bits, 6ch, DTS (MA/Core)
2. 48 KHz, 8 channels, TrueHD

Also it seems does not like video format say 2560x720

Does any of you guys with latest upgrade can check if files with these audio can play?
Otherwise the beauty of the sound is lost when you convert-and it ain't good!
Ron
post #824 of 2322 Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Have you talked to anyone at LG about this? I know their tech support sucks, but it seems this would just be a matter of re-setting your player back to pre-update and then adding back the good updates minus the bad update...
I did talk to an engineer about it last month. He said that he doesn't have any of the Premium updates on hand. Ugh. There has to be a way to clear out the update entirely, and then download it from scratch. "Sending it in" is not a valid response, either, because this is a software problem, so they should be able to just give me the instructions.

This also brings me back to the point where it's stupid to have the Premium updates separate from the firmware updates. It's as if they acknowledge that people have valid reasons for downgrading to older firmware versions, or not updating them, but they want to force us to keep the crappy app updates (like the YouTube one).
post #825 of 2322 Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron234
Hi guys,
I bought the unit 2 month ago and never connected to internet( missed all problems with updating so far-guess I am waiting for perfect release!)
But-my main source-USB is doing fine with exception that it cannot play 2types of the audio:
1. 1576 kbps/1510 kbps , 48 KHz, 24 bits, 6ch, DTS (MA/Core)
2. 48 KHz, 8 channels, TrueHD

Also it seems does not like video format say 2560x720

Does any of you guys with latest upgrade can check if files with these audio can play?
Otherwise the beauty of the sound is lost when you convert-and it ain't good!
Ron
My understanding is that DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD lossless audio formats are only supported when played from a Blu-ray disc. To the best of my knowledge this has been the case since the earliest software updates and with the 2010 player models as well.
post #826 of 2322 Old 07-09-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Well it's taken 4+ months, but it looks like LG has finally gotten the BD670 firmware straightened out with v.334E !!

Great job LG

Not
post #827 of 2322 Old 07-09-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolli View Post

Well it's taken 4+ months, but it looks like LG has finally gotten the BD670 firmware straightened out with v.334E !!

Great job LG

Not

Yeah, but the BD670 is no ordinary player either. At least they were actively working on the coding from day one. I've seen time and again many computer drivers take months to iron out. Hardware is always rushed to market with drivers getting less funding to support the hardware being shipped. Its always been like that since I can remember with commodity type of products. And lets face it, at less then 200 dollars the bd670 is a commodity product that is price driven. But its more then just a basic bd player at this point. This is a borderline computer that has to perform multiple formats from a relatively small firmware coding. Whats really bad is when hardware is not properly developed and software cannot fix it. At least that is not the case here.

I've just recently bought a HP dm1 notebook and it basically took 5 months for ATI to get decent drivers for the APU. Plus it had a loud fan that took the same amount of time to get that fixed on a new bios.

I think in the case for the firmware development for the bd670 they would fix one thing and in the process the coding would have negative affects on other functions. I think this happens when you push technology to its limits. If this is not bleeding edge then list a bunch of players that can match this machine. The list is very short. But because LG is able to provide multiple formats at a decent price, other manufacturers will have to also follow suit. Just look how long it took Sony to just add mp3 support to their dvd players. But then you had a ton of other cheap players like the Apex that could run circles around the sony's with their pal support, mp3, SVCD, VCD etc..

One thing I can also add is that LG may have been too trigger happy releasing all these updates. But by doing so, everyone ended up being unwilling beta testers which in a sense, sped up the development process. It was no doubt frustrating for many here, with some even returning their players. But in the long run, my money says we arrived at a working update much quicker with getting the end user involved. Lg had no choice, they advertise on the box that it will do all the smart tv stuff. So they had to plug along and keep working on the apps until it finally worked.
post #828 of 2322 Old 07-09-2011, 08:55 PM

Yep, 334e seems that has audio stutter issue fixed. Now it is time to fix Youtube application and BD670 will be a solid product with great value.
post #829 of 2322 Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertNMABQ View Post

Yeah, but the BD670 is no ordinary player either. At least they were actively working on the coding from day one. I've seen time and again many computer drivers take months to iron out. Hardware is always rushed to market with drivers getting less funding to support the hardware being shipped. Its always been like that since I can remember with commodity type of products. And lets face it, at less then 200 dollars the bd670 is a commodity product that is price driven. But its more then just a basic bd player at this point. This is a borderline computer that has to perform multiple formats from a relatively small firmware coding. Whats really bad is when hardware is not properly developed and software cannot fix it. At least that is not the case here.

I've just recently bought a HP dm1 notebook and it basically took 5 months for ATI to get decent drivers for the APU. Plus it had a loud fan that took the same amount of time to get that fixed on a new bios.

I think in the case for the firmware development for the bd670 they would fix one thing and in the process the coding would have negative affects on other functions. I think this happens when you push technology to its limits. If this is not bleeding edge then list a bunch of players that can match this machine. The list is very short. But because LG is able to provide multiple formats at a decent price, other manufacturers will have to also follow suit. Just look how long it took Sony to just add mp3 support to their dvd players. But then you had a ton of other cheap players like the Apex that could run circles around the sony's with their pal support, mp3, SVCD, VCD etc..

One thing I can also add is that LG may have been too trigger happy releasing all these updates. But by doing so, everyone ended up being unwilling beta testers which in a sense, sped up the development process. It was no doubt frustrating for many here, with some even returning their players. But in the long run, my money says we arrived at a working update much quicker with getting the end user involved. Lg had no choice, they advertise on the box that it will do all the smart tv stuff. So they had to plug along and keep working on the apps until it finally worked.

Desert...

I was an early purchaser of a BD670 back in March (I basically bought the first one to hit the shelf in my local Best Buy). I paid over $230 at the time since it had just come out. But it had some features that I wanted and was willing to pay for, specifically the 5Ghz/2.4Ghz dual band wireless capability, networking functionality and Vudu streaming. If you read through this thread and see the "ride" that any early purchasers have been on with this model, you would realize that LG has tarnished their reputation with probably all of us. To defend them by refering to the complexity of the device is kind of a cop-out. They simply brought a device to market that was not fully developed and then publicly made themselves look foolish as they released repeated firmware updates that were also not fully developed and tested (one of which disabled most of the BD670's streaming capability for over a week). I personally would be hesitant to purchase a newly released LG device of any type in the future.

Regarding the status of the BD670 "as of today", I would recommend it to anyone as I think it offers an outstanding feature set for the money. However, I'm still waiting for the Facebook and Twitter Apps that most of the competition has had available for some time.
post #830 of 2322 Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Just a quick question for everyone. I purchased the BD670 in mid-June, unaware of the audio-glitch issue. Luckily, I did not download any firmware updates, so I did not experience the audio issue myself. However, now that it seems the issue has finally been corrected, I want to know if I need to download the latest update. I have 221E installed on my player, and I do not know if the latest updates are necessary, as I have learned to avoid updates unless there is actually something wrong with my player. Please let me know if there is any need for me to download the latest update, or is this update solely focused on fixing the audio glitch. Thank you!
post #831 of 2322 Old 07-10-2011, 03:04 PM

What does the new Wi-Fi Direct feature actually do? When I open it no devices are showing.

Can I stream to the BD670 using my phone (Samsung Wave - Bada OS) or my laptop (Macbook - Snow Leopard). How would I set them up to take advantage.

Would be interested to know if anyone is using it and how.
post #832 of 2322 Old 07-10-2011, 03:18 PM

Has anyone installed the July 4 firmware for the 630? I don't want to install it if it breaks anything, so I'm looking for some feedback. Thanks.
post #833 of 2322 Old 07-10-2011, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi!

I just updated my LG BD630 to this:

- BD5.636.00
- H08LGN0905

But now I can't play my BDs or any Disc whatsoever, I put in a standard DVD and it displays 'No Disc', I insert a Blu-ray disc and it also displays 'No-Disc'

What can I do to fix this?
I was thinking of rolling back to a previous FW version, but LG's site does not have the previous versions listed.
Can anyone please upload a previous 'working' FW version for the BD6xx?

Thanks in advance!
post #834 of 2322 Old 07-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonheart View Post

Hi!

- BD5.636.00
- H08LGN0905

But now I can't play my BDs or any Disc whatsoever, I put in a standard DVD and it displays 'No Disc', I insert a Blu-ray disc and it also displays 'No-Disc'

I was thinking of rolling back to a previous FW version, but LG's site does not have the previous versions listed.

Thanks in advance!

I just took a look at lg's site and they have 2 dates posted for firmware (june 30 and July 4). Might be worth a try. I tried to upload an older version for you but one of the files is over 100 MB in size and that far exceeds the size limit this site allows for uploads.

This link to the 630's firmware might work:

http://www.lg.com/us/support/product...roduct-profile

after this link click on drivers and software...
post #835 of 2322 Old 07-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonheart View Post

Hi!

- BD5.636.00
- H08LGN0905

Thanks in advance!

If you haven't done so already, power your machine down and unplug it for a minute or two, then try again to make sure your player is not having a temporary issue.
post #836 of 2322 Old 07-10-2011, 07:08 PM

As far as the no disc recognized, I would recommend a hard boot, unplug and let it sit for a minute

Tahiti,Dinosaurs,M-house, AIW , Tangled,7Wonders, HTTYD, Cloudy, Open Season, Goldberg Variations, Avatar, 3d triple, Lang Lang, Megamind,Yogi, G&J, shrek-complete.
post #837 of 2322 Old 07-10-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolli View Post

Desert...

I was an early purchaser of a BD670 back in March (I basically bought the first one to hit the shelf in my local Best Buy). I paid over $230 at the time since it had just come out. But it had some features that I wanted and was willing to pay for, specifically the 5Ghz/2.4Ghz dual band wireless capability, networking functionality and Vudu streaming. If you read through this thread and see the "ride" that any early purchasers have been on with this model, you would realize that LG has tarnished their reputation with probably all of us. To defend them by refering to the complexity of the device is kind of a cop-out. They simply brought a device to market that was not fully developed and then publicly made themselves look foolish as they released repeated firmware updates that were also not fully developed and tested (one of which disabled most of the BD670's streaming capability for over a week). I personally would be hesitant to purchase a newly released LG device of any type in the future.

Regarding the status of the BD670 "as of today", I would recommend it to anyone as I think it offers an outstanding feature set for the money. However, I'm still waiting for the Facebook and Twitter Apps that most of the competition has had available for some time.

Sorry to tell you but I actually read this entire thread and I still stand by what I said. Only the Oppo can match this machine and it costs 500 dollars. This is based on my experience with allot of laptops and dvd players. I've seen allot worse.. Like some of the Toshiba Regza TV's that would have garbled hdmi sound every hour on the hour.. with no fix being it was hardware related issues etc.. Or how about thousands of dells and hp's dying from faulty solder on the infamous 8xxx nvidia gpu's.

Like I said, many of the dvd playback issues started after they started to get the applications working. Its not like it was intentional that they were breaking things.. They just don't have the resources like oppo to hire enough coders and spend the big bucks and hundreds of hours in programming to make it happen quicker. But then again, the LG cost half or less then the OPPO. If this had gone on for another 3 or 4 months then I would say that LG dropped the ball. But they got it right in about 4 months which is typical for many device drivers for computers. And this is more of a computer then a dvd player IMHO.

Again, there is a very short list to compare this machine to.. the oppo. Which cost 2.5 times as much. For that you get higher grade components, and superior support. No one else seems to be getting as much out of a dvd player then these two manufacturers so I still call that bleeding edge technology.

As for Facebook, my other Vizio TV has it and its pretty lame. Some things probably are not meant for apps on a dvd player and I think facebook is one of them. If I really want to do that I'll just hook up my HP dm1 via hdmi for the PC interface which it really needs. What I do expect the LG to do is stream movies from netflix and pandora music which it did fine out of the box for me and play just about any container file I throw at it.. which it also does off of 25 GB data discs which is a huge plus for me. Overall, I think the LG is very strong. Sure maybe some other stand alones may have a bit better you tube interface but can they stream and play mkv's etc.. ? Short of paying 500 or 1000 for a Oppo nothing really touches the 670 at this price point.

It should also be noted that even the 500 dollar BDP-93 Oppo requires the use of a USB dongle for wireless access whereas the LG 670 has a built in one. That's a pretty big FAIL in my book for the Oppo.
post #838 of 2322 Old 07-11-2011, 05:59 AM

I do not want to be the one who brings the bad news, but I watched 2 bluray disks after I upgraded the firmware to 334e and yes, the audio does not drop on chapter changes BUT on each of the disks I had a single significant drop of audio which may be happening on disk layer change. I will continue to check this out but it would be good if other people share their experience.
post #839 of 2322 Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertNMABQ View Post

Sorry to tell you but I actually read this entire thread and I still stand by what I said. Only the Oppo can match this machine and it costs 500 dollars. This is based on my experience with allot of laptops and dvd players. I've seen allot worse.. Like some of the Toshiba Regza TV's that would have garbled hdmi sound every hour on the hour.. with no fix being it was hardware related issues etc.. Or how about thousands of dells and hp's dying from faulty solder on the infamous 8xxx nvidia gpu's.

Like I said, many of the dvd playback issues started after they started to get the applications working. Its not like it was intentional that they were breaking things.. They just don't have the resources like oppo to hire enough coders and spend the big bucks and hundreds of hours in programming to make it happen quicker. But then again, the LG cost half or less then the OPPO. If this had gone on for another 3 or 4 months then I would say that LG dropped the ball. But they got it right in about 4 months which is typical for many device drivers for computers. And this is more of a computer then a dvd player IMHO.

Again, there is a very short list to compare this machine to.. the oppo. Which cost 2.5 times as much. For that you get higher grade components, and superior support. No one else seems to be getting as much out of a dvd player then these two manufacturers so I still call that bleeding edge technology.

As for Facebook, my other Vizio TV has it and its pretty lame. Some things probably are not meant for apps on a dvd player and I think facebook is one of them. If I really want to do that I'll just hook up my HP dm1 via hdmi for the PC interface which it really needs. What I do expect the LG to do is stream movies from netflix and pandora music which it did fine out of the box for me and play just about any container file I throw at it.. which it also does off of 25 GB data discs which is a huge plus for me. Overall, I think the LG is very strong. Sure maybe some other stand alones may have a bit better you tube interface but can they stream and play mkv's etc.. ? Short of paying 500 or 1000 for a Oppo nothing really touches the 670 at this price point.

It should also be noted that even the 500 dollar BDP-93 Oppo requires the use of a USB dongle for wireless access whereas the LG 670 has a built in one. That's a pretty big FAIL in my book for the Oppo.

Desert...,

I'd be willing to bet that you start work at 8AM and your "place of employment" is in Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
post #840 of 2322 Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlii View Post

I just took a look at lg's site and they have 2 dates posted for firmware (june 30 and July 4). Might be worth a try. I tried to upload an older version for you but one of the files is over 100 MB in size and that far exceeds the size limit this site allows for uploads.

This link to the 630's firmware might work:
< link was here >
after this link click on drivers and software...

Tried both, same version, didn't work...

Can you upload it to Rapidshare, megaupload, or any other site like that? I would REALLY appreciate it, since my Bluray player only plays USB and youtube stuff now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

If you haven't done so already, power your machine down and unplug it for a minute or two, then try again to make sure your player is not having a temporary issue.

Didn't work
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd650 3d Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , Lg Bd690 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv And 250gb Hard Drive , Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , New Lg 3d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv 1080p Bd650 , Lg , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - Bd670 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page