Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2322 Old 03-10-2011, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post
In support inquiries pertaining to the BD670, I have been told that a firmware update is planned for later this month (March 25th) which is to include the following:

"· Activate the web browser, search and media link functions. (currently a “coming soon” message appears)
· Make the “top 5” on the premium partner card customizable by the user
· Add the following content partners: CinemaNow, Napster, NBA, Amazon VOD, AP, iPlay (games)
· Add additional apps to the App Store area."

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much as there is an LG press release from January which states that the Blu-Ray players would *not* have the Web browser. I also saw a CES report which suggested that the "Media Link" functionality would only be included on LG SmartTV television sets (as opposed to the SmartTV equipped Blu-Ray players and standalone "Upgrader" box. Maybe they changed their mind or information regarding the other SmartTV device upgrades is getting mixed up (in which case the information above may not be accurate). This information does seem to pertain to other devices in the SmartTV line-up because Cinema Now and Napster are already supported in the BD6x0 series and there is currently no "top 5" premium partner display in the BD6x0 UI. However, I wrote twice and both response suggested the same features.

I was told that support does not have any information about the availability of Hulu Plus at this point, but hopefully we'll at least get the Amazon VOD option later this month.

Unfortunately, based on the picture below, it appears that they may have been referring to SmartTV on their LCDs. Note the "Premium Partner Card" sporting five Premium Apps. On the BD670 their is nothing that could be described as a "card" for the Premium Apps, they appear against an illustration of a park-like scene and there are ten? of them shown in two rows, not five.

I just tried a live chat with LG and they replied that the browser would only be on their TV's. So LG obviously needs some training for their customer service reps because they are doling out inconsistent replies to questions.

I also noticed that their "Specifications" web page for the BD670 incorrectly shows it as having only 2.4Ghz wireless N, while the manual states it has dual band (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) wireless N. I went out and bought a dual band router specifically for the BD670 so it would have a dedicated 5Ghz band for HD streaming, if I hook it up and find that the 670 can only connect at 2.4Ghz, that will be the last straw and it will be going back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2322 Old 03-10-2011, 04:04 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leech1980 View Post

I sent the following e-mail to LG support

And received the following answer

I'll wait until the 25th and see if either of these features are added.

Spoke too soon...

Quote:

You have recently sent an e-mail to LG in regards to your BD680 and the Web Browser and Plex.

The information that I sent you stated that there would be a software upgrade on March 25th for the BD unit. Unfortunately the software upgrade will not include the web browser. The web browser will be on the TVs only.

I did get confirmation that Plex will not be on the BD unit but will be on the TVs.

I am so very sorry about the misinformation. The software upgrade information for the BD was included with the TVs and to me the web browser upgrade would be for the Blu Ra as well.

I do apologize for this error.

post #93 of 2322 Old 03-10-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Spoke too soon...

Now I'm wondering if there will even be a firmware upgrade for the BD6xx series players on 3/25.
post #94 of 2322 Old 03-10-2011, 09:11 PM

The BD690 arrived today from Amazon, so I've spent the last several hours getting acquainted. The BD690 is replacing a BD390, which stopped recognizing discs recently, so I've been anxiously awaiting the 690.

Feature-wise, I believe the BD690 is virtually the same as the 670, with the addition of the 250Gb HD and Gracenote. Vampidemic posted some fantastic details on the features and 670, so I'll just add a few things that I noted.

After powerup and a few minutes exploring, I upgraded firmware with no issue. The 690 is on a wired connection, and I did turn off the Auto Power Off so that didn't interfere.
Original: SW Version: BD.7.62.158.E
New: SW Version: BD.8.62.211.E

The new interface is fine, and better than the ice cubes of the 590 (one reason I didn't buy it). When browsing movie/music/photo files, I don't care for the 3 file views. I'd like to have a pure list/details view. The most verbose view on the 690 still cuts off the longer names of many films. I do like that cover art for mp3s with embedded art displays on the file icons. No art is on the artist folders though.

The 690 sees .m4v files on my Mac CIFS/SMB file share - the 390 didn't. That's good so I don't have to switch filenames depending on the device - BD690 or AppleTV via iTunes. I rip and/or convert most of my files using Handbrake to h.264/AAC in mp4s, so it's good news the LG now sees both formats without issue.

I tried playing one 1080p file "Sita Sings the Blues" (Creative Commons licensed) but it will not play on the BD690. The warning/error message says "Video resolution not supported". The BD690 is wired to the network, not wireless, so it's not a bandwidth issue. Obviously it wouldn't seem to be a technical restriction on a Blu Ray player, possibly a licensing restriction (who?), but it seems odd for LG to prevent streaming 1080p content locally. I didn't try moving the file to the HDD to see if that matters.

I also have MediaLink DLNA server running on my Mac, along with an an expired Twonky server. Each displays with their icon in the Movie, Music and Photo folders. I couldn't connect via Medialink, though. The error is just "A network error occurred." It's a DLNA server primarily aimed at the PS3, but it worked with the 390. For now, I only really care about CIFS/SMB support in the LGs.

Premium menu:
The Premium menu itself is a little slow to load, and the street cityscape isn't what I would choose.

Netflix: activated and played fine. Search is included. No disc queue management features. HD indicator not on title line, only in full details; also in search. I haven't kept up with the variety of Netflix GUIs so can't say specifically which one this is.

Pandora: logged onto account, decent interface, better than my Denon 3311CI.

Vudu: You get a free HD rental for your email address and activation. The speed test ended 4Mbps (wired) which is only HD/720p quality. I have 16Mbps service from Comcast so expected better results.

DIVXTV is better than I expected, but the videos (tried Revision 3 and CNET) wouldn't load. Kept getting a skip or wait message.

Viewster has a few (85) mostly indie horror films, none I know.

Amazon VOD is the one app I'm hoping is in the March 25th mystery update.

After localizing Accuview weather app, the Premium background changes to reflect current day/night time and shows the local city and temp above the icon menu. It does this after displaying the app icons, so that doesn't seem to add to the Premium menu lag.

Gracenote works well on physical BD and provides decent title, synopsis and actors. It doesn't seem to work on any streaming video. I haven't ripped CD directly on BD690 yet. It did retrieve disc, artist and buying info from my well tagged library of mp3s. Pressing the "Buy Info" button just says "Available from online store". I'd like to understand what metadata is used to query Gracenote, and if possible, I'd tag my video files to get the Gracenote info.

The HDD seems somewhat redundant with streaming capabilities, but it might eliminate some network challenges and serve as a media backup. I changed the device name to LGBD690 and turned on media file sharing in the network menu. The BD690's drive now appears on my network, making it very easy to create folders and copy/move files directly from a computer. I've only copied 2 large files to the HD so far, one using 802.11n and the other wired, both at decent speeds (5-6MB/sec via wifi, not wifi direct, and a pretty consistent 7.2MB/sec wired). When I copied the .mp4 from my Mac using finder, it deposited both the .mp4 video file and a normally hidden "._" prefixed file on the BD690 (but not displayed in finder). I deleted the hidden file from the BD 690 interface and everything's fine. There was no added hidden file when I copied another file so I'm not sure when to expect these hidden files.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the functionality of the 690. Amazon VOD had better show up in the update, though!
post #95 of 2322 Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Spoke too soon...

I also received a follow up mail from support today with a correction stating that the update for the BD670 will not include the Web browser, but the message still implies that an upgrade is coming for March 25th.

By the way, I just noticed that Amazon.com has the BD650, BD670 and BD690 all in stock now (fulfilled by Amazon).
post #96 of 2322 Old 03-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaltby View Post

Feature-wise, I believe the BD690 is virtually the same as the 670, with the addition of the 250Gb HD and Gracenote.

Just to clarify, the BD670 does have Gracenote capability (this was also a feature of last year's BD570 and BD590 as well). I have used Gracenote on a variety of titles on Blu-Ray, DVD and CD and it works well most of the time. I have one DVD that doesn't get recognized at all (independent music documentary) and also found that one of my West Wing Season 1 DVDs displayed the wrong episode info. However, it has also gotten some fairly obscure titles right during my testing.

In general, I don't think Gracenote support is available for streaming files or files stored on hard drives or flash media. Gracenote's most widely used services are based on disc identification.

Some general info about Gracenote, as implemented in LG players:
http://www.gracenote.com/casestudies...ontent_owners/
post #97 of 2322 Old 03-11-2011, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Has anyone verified whether the BD690/670 models actually have dual band (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) wifi, by actully connecting at 5Ghz. I have a dual band router (WNDR3700) sitting in its box and I'm reluctant to open it until I can verify 5Ghz wireless capability on the 670. Once opened, I can't return it.
post #98 of 2322 Old 03-11-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolli View Post

I'm reluctant to open it until I can verify 5Ghz wireless capability on the 670. Once opened, I can't return it.

if you go to LG's website for the 670, and click on "Specifications"... and then expand "Wireless Lan" it states:

Wi-Fi® Certified
802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz band only)
post #99 of 2322 Old 03-11-2011, 03:17 PM

Has anyone been able to confirm whether BD6XX series player have 24Hz skipping problems - like the problem on BD5XX players (consider this a heads up)? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post20136513
post #100 of 2322 Old 03-11-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post

if you go to LG's website for the 670, and click on "Specifications"... and then expand "Wireless Lan" it states:

Wi-Fi® Certified
802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz band only)

From the same lg.com website, if you download the BD670 and BD690 user's manuals from the "support" page, you will see the following statement from LG for each player on page 22:

"This player is equipped with an IEEE 802.11n (Dual-
band 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz band) wireless module,
which also supports the 802.11a/b/g standards."

On this same page, each manual also describes the specific 5 GHz RF channels that are supported by the players. I'd say the marketing guys goofed up on the LG website and both of these players actually DO support both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz wireless RF bands.
post #101 of 2322 Old 03-12-2011, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

I noticed that there is a new firmware available this morning (3/12/11) for the LG BD6xx series of bluray players. It is version BD.62.245.E dated 3/8/2011!! The strange thing is that if you try to do an update from the player itself, the dialog says there is no new update available! Considering all of the inaccuracies that have been found on the LG US site re: the BD6xx series, I am hesitant to download the update to a flash drive and do the update. Has anyone given it a try and been successful??

Strange how in all of the correspondence with LG support that people have posted, LG didn't mention a 3/8/11 firmware update. They all referenced something becoming available on 3/25/11. All the more reason why I am reluctant to apply the update. The folks who maintain the LG US web site have not impressed me with their handling of the new 2011 models.
post #102 of 2322 Old 03-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anyone verified whether the BD690/670 models actually have dual band (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) wifi, by actully connecting at 5Ghz. I have a dual band router (WNDR3700) sitting in its box and I'm reluctant to open it until I can verify 5Ghz wireless capability on the 670. Once opened, I can't return it.

Yes, I have been able to verify. As per my original review, my Wi-Fi network showed up twice on my BD670 and I was able to connect to both. Today I set up my router (Apple Airport Extreme) to name the 5 GHz band differently and now each band shows up with the corresponding names. I then connected to the 5 Ghz band successfully. The player shows that the signal strength is slightly lower (4 of 8 bars instead of 5 of 8 bars) for the 5 GHz band in my case. My signal has to go through two walls, so I have heard this is pretty typical for 5Ghz.
post #103 of 2322 Old 03-12-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I bit the bullet and updated to firmware v8.62.245.E in the hope that it would add some new Apps and it looks like the update has negatively affected the TV Apps store functionality. I now see nothing on the first 3 shelves of the App Store (not that there was much there before, LOL)! If I scroll down to the lowest shelf, I see 3 or 4 Apps. But Revision3, is no longer available thru the App store. Fortunately I had already downloaded it and it is still functional because it is the only App currently (or should I say previously) available in the App store that is/was worth downloading. Fortunately, Rev3 can still be accessed through DivxTV if you didn't D/L the App before it vanished.

I'm guessing the update contained some code for the App store, possibly in preperation for the release of "Paid" Apps and those modifications have messed something up re:what Apps are shown when you access the App store from your BD player. Oddly enough, if you go to the App store from your PC, the original (sparse) selection of Apps is still visible.

The only improvement noted for the firmware on the support page I downloaded it from was "Improve the Playability of BD and 3D BD".

As far as I can tell, nothing in the "Premium Apps" area was affected by the update.

P.S. I hope the LG Software Development QA group and the LG US Web Master are reading this thread. I feel like I am doing their job for them.
post #104 of 2322 Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Yes, I have been able to verify. As per my original review, my Wi-Fi network showed up twice on my BD670 and I was able to connect to both. Today I set up my router (Apple Airport Extreme) to name the 5 GHz band differently and now each band shows up with the corresponding names. I then connected to the 5 Ghz band successfully. The player shows that the signal strength is slightly lower (4 of 8 bars instead of 5 of 8 bars) for the 5 GHz band in my case. My signal has to go through two walls, so I have heard this is pretty typical for 5Ghz.

Thank You Vampidemic, I can now break open my new router with no remorse.
post #105 of 2322 Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoretsk View Post

Has anyone been able to confirm whether BD6XX series player have 24Hz skipping problems - like the problem on BD5XX players (consider this a heads up)? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post20136513

I haven't noticed any issues on my 24Hz setup with the BD670. Plays smooth for both blu rays and steaming files. I've had some skipping with the mkv files, but think that is do to my wireless connection since it happens at the very beginning of movies and then completely resolves after 1-2 minutes.
post #106 of 2322 Old 03-12-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Well, I bit the bullet and updated to firmware v8.62.245.E in the hope that it would add some new Apps and it looks like the update has negatively affected the TV Apps store functionality. I now see nothing on the first 3 shelves of the App Store (not that there was much there before, LOL)! If I scroll down to the lowest shelf, I see 3 or 4 Apps. But Revision3, is no longer available thru the App store. Fortunately I had already downloaded it and it is still functional because it is the only App currently (or should I say previously) available in the App store that is/was worth downloading. Fortunately, Rev3 can still be accessed through DivxTV if you didn't D/L the App before it vanished.

I'm guessing the update contained some code for the App store, possibly in preperation for the release of "Paid" Apps and those modifications have messed something up re:what Apps are shown when you access the App store from your BD player. Oddly enough, if you go to the App store from your PC, the original (sparse) selection of Apps is still visible.

The only improvement noted for the firmware on the support page I downloaded it from was "Improve the Playability of BD and 3D BD".

As far as I can tell, nothing in the "Premium Apps" area was affected by the update.

P.S. I hope the LG Software Development QA group and the LG US Web Master are reading this thread. I feel like I am doing their job for them.

I upgraded firmware last night and all the apps were still there. This morning, they were gone as you described. I think the app store contents can be controlled remotely (which makes sense) as they would have to push an update every time an app was added. It seems likely that, since the app store is literally days new for the bd6xx series, LG is troubleshooting its functionality, content, and UI. I wouldn't worry. Look at it this way: At least someone out there is doing something to it. I think we'll see improvements to the store in coming weeks. The Premium Apps, on the other hand, are probably controlled by firmware which means an update would be necessary to change its contents (ie addition of Amazon Streaming or whatever they have in store for that "coming soon" tile).
post #107 of 2322 Old 03-12-2011, 02:43 PM

So LG posted my question on the BD650 product page under Q & A. The question was will it have the web browsing features of Smart TV and what apps, specifically will Amzon VOD be added. They posted it but didn't answer it
http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...uestion=400689
post #108 of 2322 Old 03-12-2011, 05:11 PM

If you have a smart TV with web browser and apps is it necessary to purchase a player with same functions?
post #109 of 2322 Old 03-12-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphillips63 View Post

If you have a smart TV with web browser and apps is it necessary to purchase a player with same functions?

No
post #110 of 2322 Old 03-12-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:

No

Thanks for the answer. I'm wanting to replace my ps3 with a newer generation 3d blue ray player that will give better picture quality and audio any recommendations since my new TV already has all the bells and whistles
post #111 of 2322 Old 03-13-2011, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Does anyone know if you can go back to an older firmware by using the flash drive firmware upgrade method. The upgrade to v8.62.245.E seems to have also affected the streaming capability of the player when using Premium Apps.

It could be other factors causing the issue but for the first time ever last night, I was getting some pixelization and hesitation while watching a movie on Vudu. Also, while using DivxTV, the various programs I selected were definitely slower to load and occasionally pixelated, sometimes I would get a dialog asking if I wanted to wait for it to load or cancel the request, I had never seen that dialog before. Oddly when I measured my connection speed using a tool in Vudu, it was rated as HDX, their highest rating.

If its possible, I would like to change back to v8.62.221.E (I have copy of it) and see if it improves the streaming issues noted above.
post #112 of 2322 Old 03-13-2011, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Can anyone who is still on firmware version v8.62.221.E please post a note stating if they can see more than 4 Apps in the TV App Store. Since upgrading to firmware v8.62.245.E, I can no longer see any Apps on shelves 1 thru 3 and see only 4 Apps on the bottom shelf. Also, once I scroll to the bottom shelf, I can't scroll back to shelves 1-3.
post #113 of 2322 Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 AM

Thanks for taking one for the team, jmolli. I'm on BD690 v8.62.211 and only see 4 apps in the store. They all show up on the top Hot shelf and the bottom "All" shelf. I can scroll up and down the shelves. I had previously downloaded the same 3 as you (Rev3, WH, Boing Boing) and they all still show up on my menu, but none had been functional...until I tried just now. Previously they said they were missing some .prc(?) resource. I can now successfully open the apps and and they all work.
post #114 of 2322 Old 03-14-2011, 06:31 AM

Can anyone confirm that 24Hz is working correctly with the 670/690? As I'm sure folks are aware, there are many 24Hz issues still with the older BD570.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on picking up the BD670, given the 5GHz support, if the 24Hz support also works correctly.
post #115 of 2322 Old 03-14-2011, 10:04 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
24Hz playback would need to be tested with some of the more notorious discs: Robin Hood, Avatar SE, Terminator Skynet Edition, Inception, just to name a few.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #116 of 2322 Old 03-14-2011, 12:32 PM

Just received the BD650. Only had a few minutes to play. Instant thought, wow this thing is about half the total size of my BD390. Power cord tethered as opposed to detachable, boo. Activated MLB, but got a sorry message when I tried to stream a game that I can on my PC? Investigating this on MLB site now. The player also found an update and I let that run. I also installed Rev3 and started to watch a stream successfully.
Will investigate more later.
post #117 of 2322 Old 03-14-2011, 12:58 PM

No spring training on the LG device. ST games only on Ipad, IPod etc

"Spring Training games on MLB.TV can be viewed using the following devices: PC, Mac, Apple TV, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad

Spring Training games are not available on other supported devices such as PS3, Roku, Samsung, and LG. 2011 games will be available on these devices at the start of the Regular Season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/devices.jsp"
post #118 of 2322 Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 PM

I've watched inception, gladiator, expendables, watchmen so far with the 670 on 24hz with no stuttering or playback issues. Streaming files have had some minor choppy playback, but I'm pretty sure it is due to my network speed.

Not too sure if the stuttering problems were BD570 specific or compatibility issues with other AV equipment, but my setup includes TV Pioneer 5070, AV receiver Onkyo SR607.
post #119 of 2322 Old 03-14-2011, 01:57 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
That's encouraging, thanks

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #120 of 2322 Old 03-14-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Just a note, I don't think the BD630 or BD640 have Smart TV. Only the BD650 and up do. The 630/640 just have some built in apps, but no access to the app store.

Confirmed, BD640 doesn't have app store. *sarcasm alert* Now this makes perfect sense. Let's package the 640 with a wireless USB adapter (which sticks out the front ~3in), but no access to the app store. What planet are these guys from? Totally bogus, IMO.

This is my 2nd BD player. I just returned the Samsung BD-BC6500 which had built-in WIFI, app store access (loved their Pandora app), Facebook and Twitter, which I didn't really care about. That's nice and all but the Sammy had a couple of drawbacks, namely its slow response at startup, BD loading, and responding to user guestures. But the most annoying part was that it suffered from really bad lip syncing. Unfortunately, it wasn't consistently off, so I couldn't just do any compensation from my receiver or TV.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd650 3d Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , Lg Bd690 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv And 250gb Hard Drive , Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , New Lg 3d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv 1080p Bd650 , Lg , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - Bd670 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page