Official LG BD690/670/650/6xx Series Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 2320 Old 12-29-2011, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if LG will announce any new bluray players at CES?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2320 Old 12-29-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klopez3709 View Post

Just updated the software this morning via latest update. Seems like the Netflix UI is completely changed. I had to login for it to gather my user info. It now has a subtitle and audio option on some titles (not all) and also when you choose a title there is a small preview screenshot of when last viewed or the upcoming viewing. The scrolling is the only thing I dislike. I'm used to the previous UI. This latest version is 8.62.382. FYI: BD670.

I'm anxious to hear what your take is on this latest software update.

Yeah, I just did the update on my BD670 and I really don't like the new Netflix layout. It loses too much functionality. Specifically you don't have subcategories any more. Before hand I could select a category like TV Shows and then select Drama, Comedies, Crime Series, etc. But now, all you get is a section called TV Shows with 75 shows to select from and no way to expand it from there. Same thing with other categories like Movies, Documentaries, etc.

I called Netflix and was told I can either search for a specific title (not helpful if I'm trying to browse the selection), or I can go online, find what I want, and then add it to my instant queue. To me, that's a rather poor work around. I previously had the ability to browse the selection and I can't think of any positive reason why you would give that up. The old menu was much easier to work with.

Anyways, Netflix said that they'll make a note of my issue with the update and send it to their support team. If they get enough people who say they wish to have the subcategories, they'll put them back. Until then I have to sit back and deal with it.
post #1353 of 2320 Old 12-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Wow, I really wasn't expecting LG to give us Netflix with 5.1 support AND closed captioning. I expected that on next year's model. That was a nice surprise. I'm not sure why it opens up with the focus on the SECOND item in my queue, but who can really complain about such a thing when we were given such a nice treat.
post #1354 of 2320 Old 12-29-2011, 04:47 PM
M4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by qi88 View Post

When I bring up the info screen I see the following:

Main Ver: BD.8.62.376
Servo Ver: H90372 (H09LGN)

When I updated the SW this time via USB stick, after the player reboot, I got the prompt for the new firmware. I was a bit worried about these things being a matched set so I initiated the download of the firmware from the player.

I updated again only via USB this time. After the player rebooted, it said there was an update available and it updated the driver to H90372, same as you. I'm not experiencing any shutdowns since then. I did have one incident last night when I was streaming a movie from my computer. I pressed Stop, and then after the movie stopped, I pressed Home. The home page wallpaper came up, but the icons never did. The player would not respond to the remote so I had to hold down the power button for 5 seconds to get it to shut off. Not sure what's going on.

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
post #1355 of 2320 Old 12-29-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Just updated the software this morning via latest update. Seems like the Netflix UI is completely changed. I had to login for it to gather my user info. It now has a subtitle and audio option on some titles (not all) and also when you choose a title there is a small preview screenshot of when last viewed or the upcoming viewing. The scrolling is the only thing I dislike. I'm used to the previous UI. This latest version is 8.62.382. FYI: BD670.

I'm anxious to hear what your take is on this latest software update.

The new Netflix interface is horrid. There's no more genres only endless scrolling. The only work around is to use their website to build an instant queue and then find the title you want there. The only good thing I can say about it is that this change prompted me to investigate Hulu+ and Amazon. It looks like there is quite a bit of overlap in the content. I won't be renewing Netflix if this interface stays.
post #1356 of 2320 Old 12-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Cool. I don't know if it is new, but with the netlix upgrade my BD670 is outputting Dolby digital plus for 5.1 streams. Sounds great!
post #1357 of 2320 Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 PM
M4P

I just got 3 free months of Hulu Plus for registering my player with LG. Here's the link I used: https://secure2.prodregister.com/lge...promo=hulu2011

It's a good way to try it out. The movies are okay but tv shows have a few ads and they're annoying because you can't fast forward through them.

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
post #1358 of 2320 Old 12-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94z07 View Post

I won't be renewing Netflix if this interface stays.

The interface DEFINITELY needs work, but there are some nice things about it. I do like that they once again broke up TV shows into seasons when you click "More episodes" and I love that we have 5.1 and subtitles. They just need to make the main screen a little more functional, like it was before. Then it will be perfect.
post #1359 of 2320 Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird_CaD_ View Post

They have the past...5 years...so yeah. I expect to see all the new ones announced and to roll out in late Feb/early March.

Already got cash ready for a shiny BD790. Can't wait since they will likely take up less space thanks to dropping silly Component connections. So glad the analog sunset has come.
post #1360 of 2320 Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

So, I had some more time to play with the new Netflix interface. Everything is perfect except for the main screen. The fact that you have to endlessly scroll to find things in your queue sucks (it was great how it was in the last interface), however, the Search function now works MUCH faster, so it's probably faster to use that to find was in your queue than it was to use the old interface.

Everything else is faster, too. The app itself loads faster, content loads faster once you play it, fast-forwarding is no longer buggy (you see the thumbnails for everything as you fast-forward - no more "THIS FRAME CANNOT BE DISPLAYED") and as soon as you hit Play (from fast-forward), it plays. 5.1 surround sound and subtitles are GREAT, too. One question, can anyone find a way to turn on subtitles while the video is already playing? I only see the ability to do it before you actually play the video.

While it does suck that you need to once again (like the 2010 model) need to endlessly scroll to go through your queue, at least everything else is faster - so that makes up for it. I guess now, I will have to know what I want to watch before using this app because there is no way I'm going to scroll through my huge queue like that.
post #1361 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedge_10 View Post

Just got the LG BD660 today but does not seem to recognise my USB drive's in NTFS format des this only support FAT32,
is there any way to make this multi region, and no ITV player as yet

Just an update my LG BD660 was fault so i took it back and got the LGBD670 works perfect just waiting for ITV player now
post #1362 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 AM

I cannot download this to my player and it is not on LG site does anyone have a copy of this code. I currently cannot get netflix to run it wants the new code.
post #1363 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 10:36 AM

Hello everyone, I just upgraded from the BD390 to the BD670 and I have a few questions. I looked back over the last few pages but, admittedly, have not read back over the whole thread, sorry.

1. I can't figure out how to work the YouTube app. When I open it, a random video just starts playing, then there seems to be a series of videos queued to play. I can see how to search for other stuff, but how do I get to some sort of home screen with featured videos, genres, etc, and how do I log into my own You Tube account so that I can go to my subscribed channels?

2. I see that my Logitech remote programmed for the BD390 still works with the BD670, so I may not bother to update the remote (I HATE using the Logitech software). But the one problem I had with the 390 was that I could never figure out how to map the "Back" button to the remote. Is this something that is do-able with the 670?

3. I was playing back some video off of an external hard drive and there was one video that would play on the 390, but on the 670 it says that it can't handle the resolution. Is this a normal issue? I was happy to see that at least one video which would not play on the 390 now plays on the 670!

4. The Netflix app on my 390 would show, when you started the stream, that the movie was in HD and then load the move, and if it had trouble it would lower the resolution, show you that and then reload. So far, this interface has just loaded up the movie and played. Will it tell me if it has to reduce the resolution?

Edit to add in a another Q: 5. When I access files on my computer, I am given the choice between using Windows Media files (which works fine) or going directly to the files themselves (which I prefer). But, when going directly to the files, I get a screen wanting me to put in some type of username/password set up (don't remember exactly, not near the unit right now), something like CFID or similar. What is this and how can I get rid of it?

And a 6th: Is there any way to move the Premium apps we actually use to the home page?

Well, that is it for now, thanks!!!

I keep my huge Blu-ray collection stored at Netflix. :0)
post #1364 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance14 View Post

1. I can't figure out how to work the YouTube app. When I open it, a random video just starts playing, then there seems to be a series of videos queued to play. I can see how to search for other stuff, but how do I get to some sort of home screen with featured videos, genres, etc, and how do I log into my own You Tube account so that I can go to my subscribed channels?

And a 6th: Is there any way to move the Premium apps we actually use to the home page?

You don't get to have any of that.

The Youtube app used to have those features when the 600 series was new, but then it was "upgraded" to what we have now. It's now essentially useless.

As for moving the premium apps, you don't get to do that either.
post #1365 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Hello everyone, I just upgraded from the BD390 to the BD670 and I have a few questions. I looked back over the last few pages but, admittedly, have not read back over the whole thread, sorry.

I don't think you're missing anything. This is YouTube's new "Leanback" interface and I think the old features you are not seeing are no longer part of the implementation.

Quote:

2. I see that my Logitech remote programmed for the BD390 still works with the BD670, so I may not bother to update the remote (I HATE using the Logitech software). But the one problem I had with the 390 was that I could never figure out how to map the "Back" button to the remote. Is this something that is do-able with the 670?

I don't have a Logitech remote myself, but I have not heard this complaint from others on this forum, so it's probably worth the effort to try to update your remote to use the macros programmed specifically for the BD 670.

Quote:

3. I was playing back some video off of an external hard drive and there was one video that would play on the 390, but on the 670 it says that it can't handle the resolution. Is this a normal issue? I was happy to see that at least one video which would not play on the 390 now plays on the 670!

I have had the same experience with a few files that will play on my BD570 that won't play on the BD670, but this seems to be the exception, not the rule.

Quote:

Edit to add in a another Q: 5. When I access files on my computer, I am given the choice between using Windows Media files (which works fine) or going directly to the files themselves (which I prefer). But, when going directly to the files, I get a screen wanting me to put in some type of username/password set up (don't remember exactly, not near the unit right now), something like CFID or similar. What is this and how can I get rid of it?

This is a common problem reported by other Windows users here. I use a Mac to host the files myself, but my understanding of the issue is that the sharing options in Windows 7 are designed to be more secure than past Windows versions by not allowing anonymous access to shared files by default. I believe that when your BD670 connects to Windows, Windows is asking it to authenticate, so you need to either provide some login credentials for your BD670 to connect to the Windows file system, or find a way to configure Windows to allow anonymous access without authentication. (I'm assuming that the BD670 has a way to remember the login credentials and if so, that may be the easiest thing to do.) Another alternative, is to run a DLNA server and use that instead of the built in Windows sharing. The advantage of this is that DLNA servers can provide transcoding options to allow support for some file formats that the player cannot play natively. DLNA servers can also serve up thumbnails to represent content, which can make for a more pleasing browsing experience. I have had fairly good luck with Serviio.

Quote:

No, sorry!
post #1366 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 02:13 PM

Thanks, Pete and Vampidemic, those are all very helpful answers!

On the You Tube app, it seems sort of useless the way it is. No one wants to just sit down and let random videos come at them, and no one really wants to have to type search queries on a TV to find stuff either. I was sure there had to be a landing page or something.

post #1367 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have the Logitech remote as well...it works on my LGs 370 and 570, which is great. I'm with the other poster though; I hate programming the remote. About the You-Tube app...oh, please - don't go there.
post #1368 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 04:11 PM

Well, at least in regards to the You Tube app, the one on my Xbox is AWESOME!! :0)

post #1369 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird_CaD_ View Post

Being at past CES shows for a while now; all manufacturers will intro new models. They maybe just tweaks on previous year models; but I think this year it will be more massive changes. The Blu Ray will begin to be an after thought and the major change will be in the streaming video. Not sure if 3D will be offerred in 2014. Not a lot of TV sold with 3D so far; 3D type players will be history unless they either have a no glasses model TV in my opinion.

Everyone in the industry is scare of what Apple will come up with for Apple TV in 2012.

They are known to take massive market share when they introduce another product into the marketplace. Look at these for impact: Sony Walkman vs. iPod; Notebook PC vs. iPad; iPhone vs. previous smartphones, etc....
post #1370 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Userf4 View Post

I cannot download this to my player and it is not on LG site does anyone have a copy of this code. I currently cannot get netflix to run it wants the new code.

I just discovered I'm having the same problem. I am trying to install BD.8.62.382 I believe. The latest on LG web site is BD.8.62.372.

I keep getting the "Update Is Fail" message regardless of whether I try from a wired or wireless network. I reset back to factory setting and tried numerous power off/plug out of wall resets to no avail.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to how to do an update when the over the air version fails and the downloadable version is nowhere to be found?

Right now, none of the premium apps will work without the new SW so I guess I'm out of luck. LG doesn't advertise the web address that their players use when updating do they? Wonder if there is a back door into that site to get the updates that they refuse to offer....
post #1371 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I just discovered I'm having the same problem. I am trying to install BD.8.62.382 I believe. The latest on LG web site is BD.8.62.372.

I keep getting the "Update Is Fail" message regardless of whether I try from a wired or wireless network. I reset back to factory setting and tried numerous power off/plug out of wall resets to no avail.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to how to do an update when the over the air version fails and the downloadable version is nowhere to be found?

Right now, none of the premium apps will work without the new SW so I guess I'm out of luck. LG doesn't advertise the web address that their players use when updating do they? Wonder if there is a back door into that site to get the updates that they refuse to offer....

Maybe the servers are busy because the update is so new. Can you try during off hours; like early morning?
post #1372 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Maybe the servers are busy because the update is so new. Can you try during off hours; like early morning?

I am going to try throughout the weekend and see. From the traffic crossing my router, it looks like it gets about 20 to 25 percent downloaded before the download abruptly stops. Shortly thereafter, the "fail" message pops up on the screen.

With the exception of the premium apps, all other functionality is still available so there's that at least.
post #1373 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately I am in the same boat and it looks like we maybe in for a wait - unless others try to complain like I did yesterday

Chat Transcript
Time of chat: 12/29/2011 2:43:35 PM
Length of chat: 00:19:00
Your name: Guest
Chatted with: Mariangie

1:43 PM Mariangie: Hello Guest. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
1:44 PM Guest: why does it take so long to put the new firmware updates online? ive got a bd670 and it doesnt like to update wirelessly and we can;'t hard wire it
1:45 PM Guest: its been asking for the new update (.382) for at least a week
1:46 PM Guest: i've had to update all the previous versions by downloading them on my laptop and then transferring them with a usb drive which I will probably do again but now netflix doesn't work because there is a "new app which you have to update the firmware to get"??
1:48 PM Guest: Mariangie?? You still there??
1:48 PM Mariangie: Did you ever try to do the upgrade hard wired as suggested or turning off the firewall on the router or enable ports 80 and 443 ?
1:50 PM Guest: as in the first post we don't have ethernet ports in our house and it's unrealistic to carry the DVD player & TV to the wireless router/modem. As for the firewall and/or ports - not exactly my cup of tea.
1:50 PM Guest: is there not a link available to download it online??
1:51 PM Guest: Unless you want to walk me step by step thru turning off the firewall and enabling the ports
1:51 PM Mariangie: Unfortunately there is no link available yet for that upgrade
1:52 PM Mariangie: Regretfully, I'm not familiar with the process step by step. This will depend on the router manufacturer or ISP software which control the router settings. The software platform may change per router brand or Internet Service Provider. Will need to get in touch with the router manufacturer or the ISP provider, so they could guide step by step to disable the firewall settings on the router.
1:52 PM Guest: it would seem putting a link online would take 5 minutes and save you guys from getting several calls/chats similiar to mine
1:53 PM Guest: so you're saying I can't use netflix on our player until someone finally puts a simple link on your website or I pay someone else to come modify my router??
1:53 PM Guest: seems like a big inconvience for someone with 3 kids under the age of 5 1/2 yrs
1:54 PM Mariangie: I suggest to try to get in touch with the customer service for the router, so they could guide you turning off the firewall on it.
1:54 PM Mariangie: I do apologize for the inconvenience
1:55 PM Guest: any idea on a timeline for when LG will find someone to put the new link up?
1:55 PM Guest: I guess I will have to call netflix and have them temporarily freeze our account until LG fixes their links
1:56 PM Mariangie: I will suggest to check back by the first half of January after all Holidays
1:56 PM Mariangie: Unfortunately no Estimate Time for a link to be posted
2:00 PM Guest: I know it you might say something (but I doubt it will help) but could you pass this on to a supervisor/manager/CEO/etc on how rediculus it is to not put a link online within a timely manner after a update is available - especially for a company who trys to prized themselves in technology.
2:01 PM Guest: In the meantime I guess I will have to go disappoint 3 kids and see if I can get some LG help from someone in another online forum.
2:02 PM Guest: have a nice day & holidays!

This transcript was delivered to you courtesy of Velaro, Inc.
post #1374 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 11:11 PM

Ok, problem. I was attempting to connect to one of the shared drives that showed up on the list for music, and it was taking a very long time so I tried use back but there was no response. So I hit Home and that worked.

Now, though, I get just a blank screen when I go to the music, movie or picture options. When a disc is in it will just play the disc, if not it will just give me a blank page. I can't get to the usb or network storage at all.

Short of a factory reset, which I don't want to do, what can I try?

post #1375 of 2320 Old 12-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, problem. I was attempting to connect to one of the shared drives that showed up on the list for music, and it was taking a very long time so I tried use back but there was no response. So I hit Home and that worked.

Now, though, I get just a blank screen when I go to the music, movie or picture options. When a disc is in it will just play the disc, if not it will just give me a blank page. I can't get to the usb or network storage at all.

Short of a factory reset, which I don't want to do, what can I try?

Turn off the player, unplug it from power for several minutes to reset. You may also need to remove any USB media and/ or reboot shared servers/drives if the problem persists.
post #1376 of 2320 Old 12-31-2011, 12:03 AM

After playing around with the BD670 for a few days, my personal pet peeves are mostly subtitle based. It appears all srt formatting is ignored. Thus, anything italicized shows up like this as opposed to this.

Also, any accent marks or latin based characters in an external srt display incorrectly. i.e. Lèonard will come out L@\
ard© etc. However, if said srt is embedded within a MKV then it appears as it should. i.e. Lèonard is displayed as Lèonard. It makes absolutely no sense to me, but there you have it.

Chapter marks (mkv/m4v) apparently aren't recognized either. Looks like its fast forward or the search button.

I hope for a firmware update to fix some of these issues, but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

Does LG happen to have a forum where one could offer suggestions to their firmware team?

What exactly is rotten in Denmark?
post #1377 of 2320 Old 12-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This has definitely been a problem with updates in the past; especially when the streaming app updates have dependencies which require updates. Unfortunately, LG doesn't seem to have the resources to handle the traffic spikes that these updates generate, nor do they seem to stagger the promotion of the streaming app updates to manage the traffic. There have been cases where user's downloads were failing for entire weekends, but the problem usually subsides after a few days.
post #1378 of 2320 Old 12-31-2011, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 439
my BD670 UPDATED WITHOUT ANY ISSUES

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!
post #1379 of 2320 Old 12-31-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Turn off the player, unplug it from power for several minutes to reset. You may also need to remove any USB media and/ or reboot shared servers/drives if the problem persists.

That did it, thanks!

post #1380 of 2320 Old 12-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

my BD670 UPDATED WITHOUT ANY ISSUES

Same here, I made my first update attempt this morning and it went quickly and succeeded the first time.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd650 3d Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , Lg Bd690 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv And 250gb Hard Drive , Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , New Lg 3d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv 1080p Bd650 , Lg , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page