post #1531 of 2322 Old 02-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd571 View Post

Thanks for the reply Vampidemic. The .m2ts files are downloaded from my Canon HD camcorder Model Vixia HF10. They play flawlessly on the 570 but not on the 670. I don't want to needlessly pay for VideoRedo but maybe I can try the trial version to see if it makes a difference. I just don't understand why LG wouldn't carry forward that part of the software for .m2ts files from the 570 to the 670. But I do agree with you that the manual doesn't list the .m2ts extension.

I'm not that familiar with Handbrake but I basically used the default setting to convert the .m2ts Canon files to .mkv. I'll take another look at the settings.

I know that the early 570 firmware versions had lip sync issues but my final firmware was great for Netflix but not so with the 670.... frustration persits.

One point worth noting is that the unsupported resolution warning occurs with .MP4 files as well as .m2ts and .MP4 is listed in the manual as a supported container. The manual also says that video up to 1920 x 1080 pixels is supported without any limitations being specified for specific containers. This would tell me that the .MP4 "Unsupported Resolution" issue is a bug or undocumented limitation. This may be worth pursuing with LG support. Who knows, maybe if they take note, they might fix the issue with .m2ts files at the same time.

In the meantime, Handbrake probably is not a good application to use for this conversion because it is designed to re-encode the files and make them smaller. By nature, there is a loss in quality inherent in this sort of re-encoding process which likely accounts for the differences you're seeing. Though Handbrake allows a passthrough option for audio, it doesn't seem to do the same for video. What you want to do is to find a way to remux the video and audio from your .m2ts file into a .mkv file without changing the way the video or audio is encoded.

VideoRedo does this and is a great program in general. If you only need to convert files, there are probably much cheaper options. However, one killer feature that VideoRedo offers is frame accurate editing of MPEG2 and H.264 video. There are very few if any other applications that offer this feature, so if you anticipate the need to edit your home videos without quality loss, this app is worth consideration for that functionality among other things.

If you're looking for free options to do a conversion, it might be necessary to find one tool to "demux" your .m2ts into separate audio and video streams, then use another tool to remux the files. This thread discusses some options:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...rt-m2ts-to-mkv

Unfortunately, the free options do not seem very straight forward for doing this type of conversion. It seems that most people would just assume have smaller files and are not all that concerned with preserving the quality of their videos.

It may be possible to use a DLNA server to do this conversion on the fly, though depending on the bit rate of your files and the speed of your network, this might not be feasible. I have had trouble playing MPEG2 1080i content captured from my cable box over my wireless N network (without even doing any conversion); it's not quite fast enough to keep up with the bit rate of the files, so the videos studder a lot. This may or may not be an issue over a faster wired network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2322 Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

One point worth noting is that the unsupported resolution warning occurs with .MP4 files as well as .m2ts and .MP4 is listed in the manual as a supported container. The manual also says that video up to 1920 x 1080 pixels is supported without any limitations being specified for specific containers. This would tell me that the .MP4 "Unsupported Resolution" issue is a bug or undocumented limitation. This may be worth pursuing with LG support. Who knows, maybe if they take note, they might fix the issue with .m2ts files at the same time.

In the meantime, Handbrake probably is not a good application to use for this conversion because it is designed to re-encode the files and make them smaller. By nature, there is a loss in quality inherent in this sort of re-encoding process which likely accounts for the differences you're seeing. Though Handbrake allows a passthrough option for audio, it doesn't seem to do the same for video. What you want to do is to find a way to remux the video and audio from your .m2ts file into a .mkv file without changing the way the video or audio is encoded.

VideoRedo does this and is a great program in general. If you only need to convert files, there are probably much cheaper options. However, one killer feature that VideoRedo offers is frame accurate editing of MPEG2 and H.264 video. There are very few if any other applications that offer this feature, so if you anticipate the need to edit your home videos without quality loss, this app is worth consideration for that functionality among other things.

If you're looking for free options to do a conversion, it might be necessary to find one tool to "demux" your .m2ts into separate audio and video streams, then use another tool to remux the files. This thread discusses some options:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...rt-m2ts-to-mkv

Unfortunately, the free options do not seem very straight forward for doing this type of conversion. It seems that most people would just assume have smaller files and are not all that concerned with preserving the quality of their videos.

It may be possible to use a DLNA server to do this conversion on the fly, though depending on the bit rate of your files and the speed of your network, this might not be feasible. I have had trouble playing MPEG2 1080i content captured from my cable box over my wireless N network (without even doing any conversion); it's not quite fast enough to keep up with the bit rate of the files, so the videos studder a lot. This may or may not be an issue over a faster wired network.

Thanks Vampidemic. Two weeks ago I did speak with LG and created a submission relative to the .m2ts files playing on the 570 but not on the 670. Hopefully, their software guys will act on it and fix the .mp4 issue as well.

I downloaded Xvid4PSP v5.10.271.0 and converted a 29.7 MB .m2ts file to .mkv. Not being familiar, I just used the default settings and it resulted in a compressed 19.2 MB .mkv file. This file played but not as well as the one created by Handbrake.

I took the original .m2ts file and using Pinnacle Studio Plus burned an AVCHD DVD. That played flawlessly on the 670. I've been using the Pinnacle software for quite a while to create HD movies with great success.

BTW, I too experience the same problem of some stutter when streaming video files wirelessly from my computer.

I guess I'll just have to wait for a firmware change or stick to creating AVCHD DVD's.
post #1533 of 2322 Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 PM

Liked: 12
Wow, after going through most of the threads, I was shocked that there's little about disc playback in this machine. Doesn't anyone use this as disc player??

It looks like most just bought it to be a file share media player. That's all and good, but aren't there dedicated media players that would be more compatible with all formats? I think those would be more beneficial as many upgrade their disc players every other year to get the latest disc features. I know I do, I have a stock pile of DVD players. I usually just give them to good will.

Hows everyones experience with this as a disc player, Bluray, DVD-V, DVD-R(w), DVD+R(W), CD, CD-R(W)?

I'm impressed but don't care for the 4:3 zoom on a 16:9 TV. It just zooms within the 4:3 frame and you can't zoom to a 16:9 frame to fill the TV picture. I must use the TV for that, but it would better at the source.

Love the speed. Never seen a Blu-ray player this fast. Also love the interface, blows my previous Panasonic DMP-BD85k out the door.

The Panasonic was my first blu-ray and I bought it for the 7.1 outs for DTS-MA audio but found out it wasn't much use because it would not convert 5.1 to 7.1 through DPL2x processing. I'm more about the number of channels than their resolution. Otherwise, I would had stuck with 2 channel stereo over DPL 4.0 and Dolby Digital 5.1/7.1 .

I always hated the disc playing interface, it's extremely slow BD-Live, slow play and lousy VOD interface. There wasn't much I liked about the Panasonic. It couldn't even convert 4:3 480i dvds to 16:9 1080p correctly without the original 4.3 picture being slightly squeezed.

The Panny will be the camper Disc player now where the LG is the main player. The LG is just so easy to use.

I do have another question, where is the "black Level" setup on this player? I've looked everywhere in the menu and can't find it.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1534 of 2322 Old 02-04-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

Wow, after going through most of the threads, I was shocked that there's little about disc playback in this machine. Doesn't anyone use this as disc player??

It looks like most just bought it to be a file share media player. That's all and good, but aren't there dedicated media players that would be more compatible with all formats? I think those would be more beneficial as many upgrade their disc players every other year to get the latest disc features. I know I do, I have a stock pile of DVD players. I usually just give them to good will.

Hows everyones experience with this as a disc player, Bluray, DVD-V, DVD-R(w), DVD+R(W), CD, CD-R(W)?

I'm impressed but don't care for the 4:3 zoom on a 16:9 TV. It just zooms within the 4:3 frame and you can't zoom to a 16:9 frame to fill the TV picture. I must use the TV for that, but it would better at the source.

Love the speed. Never seen a Blu-ray player this fast. Also love the interface, blows my previous Panasonic DMP-BD85k out the door.

The Panasonic was my first blu-ray and I bought it for the 7.1 outs for DTS-MA audio but found out it wasn't much use because it would not convert 5.1 to 7.1 through DPL2x processing. I'm more about the number of channels than their resolution. Otherwise, I would had stuck with 2 channel stereo over DPL 4.0 and Dolby Digital 5.1/7.1 .

I always hated the disc playing interface, it's extremely slow BD-Live, slow play and lousy VOD interface. There wasn't much I liked about the Panasonic. It couldn't even convert 4:3 480i dvds to 16:9 1080p correctly without the original 4.3 picture being slightly squeezed.

The Panny will be the camper Disc player now where the LG is the main player. The LG is just so easy to use.

I do have another question, where is the "black Level" setup on this player? I've looked everywhere in the menu and can't find it.

Thanks

I use the Xtreamer prodigy as a media streamer plays all formats including 3D iso etc, but the LG as a disc layer i cant fault it, have no problems streaming (mine is wired) but the reaction times with the remote is slow eg press pause it take around 3-4 seconds to actualy pause not instant
post #1535 of 2322 Old 02-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks

I think the BD670 is a great disc player and that is my primary use. I think that the reason that there is not much discussion regarding disc playback is that for the most part it just works! There's not as much to discuss as there is on the other features which are more prone to be impacted by technical issues that bring about questions.

I really like the fact that the BD670 (and most other LG BD players I believe) will play back PAL discs. The only complaint that comes to mind is the zoom issue you brought up, I really think that the zoom should be able to handle non anamorphic widescreen (letterboxed) DVDs on a 16:9 set, that seems like it should be a pretty standard BD player feature.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a black level setting on the player. It's not in the screen that has the other display settings (brightness, contrast, color, sharpening, etc.) which is where it would probably be.
post #1536 of 2322 Old 02-04-2012, 03:50 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I really like the fact that the BD670 (and most other LG BD players I believe) will play back PAL discs.

So if I get a PAL disc from England, it will play in our US NTSC players?? I thought the players were region coded. Since the US, Canada, and Mexico don't use PAL, I don't see any other uses except from the UK.

Quote:

The only complaint that comes to mind is the zoom issue you brought up, I really think that the zoom should be able to handle non anamorphic widescreen (letterboxed) DVDs on a 16:9 set, that seems like it should be a pretty standard BD player feature.

Unfortunately, that's the way all of their new HD TVs are as well except the lower end models. I've been talking about this to some extent in the LG 47LW5600 owners thread. However the TV offers a Cinema Zoom for 16:9 just like the player does. SO, when the player upconverts to 1080P/16:9, the TV can use it's 16:9 Cinema Zoom. Unfortunately, none of LGs Upper end TVs or Blu-ray players will work with none anamorphic 4:3 framed letterbox movies.

I'm really hoping LG offers firmware updates on their TVs and Bluray players to offer a 4:3 zoom to 16:9, so that the geometry is kept in tact while filling the 16:9 screen. As you said, most useful for none anamorphic 4:3 framed letterboxed movies. Wife has a few on VHS. If LG doesn't update their firmware with a 4:3 zoom, I'll have to break down and buy another HDMI cable for my DVD Recorder/VCR that up-converts VHS to 1080p/16:9.

Quote:

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a black level setting on the player. It's not in the screen that has the other display settings (brightness, contrast, color, sharpening, etc.) which is where it would probably be.

I thought so but I guess it really doesn't matter since it got it right at 7.5 IRE. Some players and TVs have a default black level of 0 IRE which doesn't follow the "American" NTSC standard 7.5 IRE (absolute black) so like Panasonic, they have to offer a lighter and darker setting. The Panasonic Blu-ray player and their DVD players offer a correct black level setting with the "Lighter" setting. 0 IRE is the Japanese NTSC standard for absolute black. Previous Toshiba DVD players/recorders were really bad at having incorrect black levels because they followed the Japanese NTSC standard no matter where they were sold and used.

The LG TV does account for players with incorrect black level of 0 IRE with it's "High" setting. At least it has that where I haven't seen another TV with this feature. My old SD Directv premium box was one of the first to have component outputs but unfortunately the black level was at 0 IRE and my TV at the time only had global picture adjustments with no component black level correction (as at the time, composite and S-Video were strictly at 7.5 IRE, no fluctuations). So I had to use the S-Video output on that DirecTV box.

Component video used both 7.5 IRE and 0 IRE depending on the standard it used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1537 of 2322 Old 02-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So if I get a PAL disc from England, it will play in our US NTSC players?? I thought the players were region coded. Since the US, Canada, and Mexico don't use PAL, I don't see any other uses except from the UK.

You're correct that the players are region restricted, but the BD670 will play PAL discs that are not region restricted. I use it to play region free DVDs from the UK and elsewhere in Europe where PAL is the standard.
post #1538 of 2322 Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:

It looks like most just bought it to be a file share media player. That's all and good, but aren't there dedicated media players that would be more compatible with all formats? I think those would be more beneficial as many upgrade their disc players every other year to get the latest disc features.

Speaking as someone who owns two of these babies (a 670 and a 660): this thing works remarkably well as a 'file share media player'. Great SMB/CIFS client (none of that DLNA UPnP moody bulls**t). Plays every damn video file on my server I've thrown at it. The 670 has great support for 5GHz wifi, never had any problem playing networked stuff from my bedroom over 5GHz 802.11n. Don't think I've even seen it stutter, even once.

Don't get me wrong, I've played BD discs, some PAL DVDs (which the Panasonic POS I returned before buying the 670 wouldn't play, and which my PS3 wouldn't play), etc on the things.

But really, in my view, what makes these things stand out is their stellar ability to play downloaded material (whether off network or USB flash drives). Sure, a WD Live or Patriot Box Office or whatever might theoretically do better (but given the LGs' amazing record, that'd be hard), but I got great deals on both my 660 and 670, so $20-50 (CAD) more for the disc playing functionality (or the fact that the things don't need external PSUs, which I'd guess most of the other boxes do, or the 'easy-to-fit-in-any-home-entertainment-furniture' size) seems well worth it to me.

And yes, the second one (the 660) I bought mostly for playing downloaded material. It's used in my living room, next to a PS3 that also plays BD movies (but uses a lot more power). But I was so amazed with the 670's ability to play downloaded material that when I moved it to the new bedroom TV, I figured I ought to pick up a 660 before LG had a chance to do something stupid (e.g. go DLNA-only) in their 2012 lineup.
post #1539 of 2322 Old 02-05-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:

Region coding is a totally different beast from PAL/NTSC (and we should include SECAM there too, though I don't believe there's such a thing as a SECAM DVD).

Most 'large movie studio' releases are region-coded, but there are plenty of smaller, less commercial DVDs floating around out there that aren't region coded. If those DVDs are PAL (which they will be if they come from Europe), then they won't play in, say, a PS3 or that utterly disappointing Panasonic player I had, but they'll play just fine in the LG. A nice bonus, really.

(Crazy question: while it would be commercially stupid to make one, is it technically possible for a PAL DVD to be region 1, or an NTSC DVD region 2?)
post #1540 of 2322 Old 02-07-2012, 09:41 PM

Can I use a dIfferent wifi adapter with this unit?
It comes supplied with a LG wifi adapter which has broken.
post #1541 of 2322 Old 02-08-2012, 10:10 AM

youtube player has been fixed? if not, any ETA?
post #1542 of 2322 Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkid4 View Post

Can I use a dIfferent wifi adapter with this unit?
It comes supplied with a LG wifi adapter which has broken.

My guess is that if you want a USB Wi-fi adapter you likely have to use a compatible LG model. However, another alternative would be to get a wireless bridge that will feed the ethernet port on your BD player. This gives you the flexibility of using the USB port on your player for other things. If you purchase a bridge with more than one port you could use it to feed other devices as well.

The only downside I can think of would be larger footprint.
post #1543 of 2322 Old 02-08-2012, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi all. I'm currently using the LG BD550 and am quite happy with it. I'm just curious to know if the current crop of LG players discussed here upconvert standard-def DVDs any better and do they retain the "zoom" feature to minimize the black bars on 2:35 discs. Thanx you!
post #1544 of 2322 Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yipiti View Post

youtube player has been fixed? if not, any ETA?

The Youtube player is what is and LG is NOT changing it back.

It's unusable now and they like it that way.
post #1545 of 2322 Old 02-09-2012, 09:28 AM

Quick question, can the LG play display cover artwork from a DLNA media server? I plan on turning a PC into a media streamer and have two of these players stream my DVD / BR rips. I plan on using folders by genere to help the family navigate our movies, but I love to show a movie poster and not an icon for the movie. Its strange but the kids seem to forget what the movie is but it comes back to them when they see the cover.

If so, what dlna server are you using?

THX, JNT.
post #1546 of 2322 Old 02-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntaylor63 View Post

Quick question, can the LG play display cover artwork from a DLNA media server? I plan on turning a PC into a media streamer and have two of these players stream my DVD / BR rips. I plan on using folders by genere to help the family navigate our movies, but I love to show a movie poster and not an icon for the movie. Its strange but the kids seem to forget what the movie is but it comes back to them when they see the cover.

THX, JNT.

Well, the BD670 will display thumbnails if the DLNA server will serve them up. However, the DLNA servers I have found automatically seek out thumbnail content online. Most of my content is not commercial DVD or Blu-ray rips, and I haven't found a solution that will allow me to manually add thumbnails. I basically had to turn off thumbnails to prevent my content from showing incorrect thumbnails and titles. I run DLNA on a Mac, which limits the DLNA server options. I haven't tried any of the Windows only DLNA solutions, but the servers I have tried are cross platform.

I use Serviio which works pretty well, but I had to do a lot of tweaking to get it to work. Two other solutions I tried did not seem to interface well, if at all, with the my LG players (I ended up giving up).

I'm not sure that the LG players (or any Blu-ray player for that matter) will be an ideal solution for what you are planning on doing. The navigation path for viewing DLNA content on these devices is not exactly kid friendly in my opinion.

Additionally, you will likely need to re-encode your Blu-rays with additional compression to get them to play, rather than doing a full quality rip. Personally, I think it's much easier to just pop the disc in and get full HD quality with lossless audio. In my mind quality it's the whole point of having Blu-ray.

For a family friendly solution, you might look at something like AppleTV, though that would require that you use iTunes for your media library and you would have to use 720p or less files with Apple friendly file formats (basically mp4/H.264). This would be straight forward for kids to use, but would require more effort for transcoding DVDs and BDs. If you want to play full quality Blu-ray rips you probably would be better off looking for a dedicated streaming device for that purpose and then purchase a disc player separately. Not sure how kid friendly those solutions would be but you can probably find good information elsewhere on AVSForum.
post #1547 of 2322 Old 02-10-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntaylor63 View Post

THX, JNT.

On Windows I've used TVersity (no cover art), Serviio (auto cover art), and, most recently, Mezzmo (auto or manual cover art). My favorite so far is Mezzmo, though it costs $30 whereas the other two can be used for free.

One caveat is that the LG can only display square cover art so it will take any DVD cover art you have and stretch it horizontally to fit its square. Other than that I think it works pretty well.

It sounds like we did this for the same reason: I wanted to make it easier for my kids to choose a movie and using Mezzmo and changing the LG DLNA view to show large icons has made the interface much more kid-friendly.
post #1548 of 2322 Old 02-10-2012, 07:36 AM

Thanks Fessman and Vamp for the great info. Looks like there are dlna options to display cover art but I may have !o do a little work to get it in a square shape. I have downloaded movie posters and wallpapers for all of my movies.

As long as I can search by my folders I'm good. If I could search by genere and lock down movies based a ratings that would be even better!
post #1549 of 2322 Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 PM

I have a BD660c that I primarily use for Netflix over a wired connection. Lately the unit has been loosing network connectivity and hanging occasionally.

I have replaced the patch cord but same problem.

After unplugging the unit it starts up ok, but asks me to configure the network settings first.

Anyone else seeing this problem?
post #1550 of 2322 Old 02-10-2012, 11:34 PM

I've had the BD670 for a couple months now and am having more and more problems streaming movies from Netflix with it lately. Movies will often start to freeze and stutter, which can temporarily be resolved by rewinding the movie a bit. It will just freeze up a few moments later, however.

Finally got to the point where we hooked up our old BD390 and sure enough, that player streamed the same movie effortlessly.

Has anyone else been having this trouble with Netflix? I've seen mention elsewhere of downgrading the firmware and of LG promising a fix is "coming soon" to anyone who complains.

Will downgrading the firmware resolve this issue?

Any help is appreciated.
post #1551 of 2322 Old 02-11-2012, 05:31 AM

Anyone with the Netflix issues please let LG know about it, the first time I contacted them they made it sound like they knew about it but the second time it sounded like they were saying it was only my issue and no others were reporting anything.

They had me do a hard reset (unplug and hold power button for 10 sec.) & sent me the firmware "downgrade" CD to go back to .376F from .382E, the problem as I noted back to them is that when you go back to .376F you cannot use Netflix at all as the app. itself requires .382E and will require you to "upgrade" to .382E to use it.

So there is no reason at all to downgrade to .376F if you are interested in using Netflix, it's not like it will allow you to use the "old" Netflix interface\\app.
post #1552 of 2322 Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 AM

Hello all...any help would be appreciated because LG support has failed me.

Anyhow...I have an LGBD670 connected to an Optoma HD22 projector via component cable with a desired resolution of 1080i. When the BD670 is on the home menu it displays at 1080i. When I stream an mkv over my home network it displays at 1080i. However, when I put a store bought blu ray dvd in the tray and watch it the resolution drops to 480i. It's done this with 3 seperate discs...Planet Terror, Return of the Living Dead and a recently released live Styx blu ray. I have attempted to change the resolution to 1080i in the BD670's options but it seems to just display disc playback at 480i regardless of the setting. Any ideas or help would be great. A blu ray playing at 480i is a bit pointless....

Thank You.
post #1553 of 2322 Old 02-11-2012, 07:14 AM

Liked: 23
Are you using HDMI cables?
If not, the newer players are not allowed to pass 1080 through any analog type cables.

Doug

Completed

post #1554 of 2322 Old 02-11-2012, 07:53 AM

I'm using component cables. Streaming media plays at 1080i and the menu itself displays at 1080i. Are you saying blu-rays from the tray itself won't display at 1080 without an hdmi cable?? Is it some sort of copyright protection??? If it is, thats frustrating. That is exactly why I chose component over hdmi.
post #1555 of 2322 Old 02-11-2012, 08:02 AM

Just read up on the analog sunset rule. What garbage....
post #1556 of 2322 Old 02-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Potatoes View Post

Hello all...any help would be appreciated because LG support has failed me.

Anyhow...I have an LGBD670 connected to an Optoma HD22 projector via component cable with a desired resolution of 1080i. When the BD670 is on the home menu it displays at 1080i. When I stream an mkv over my home network it displays at 1080i. However, when I put a store bought blu ray dvd in the tray and watch it the resolution drops to 480i. It's done this with 3 seperate discs...Planet Terror, Return of the Living Dead and a recently released live Styx blu ray. I have attempted to change the resolution to 1080i in the BD670's options but it seems to just display disc playback at 480i regardless of the setting. Any ideas or help would be great. A blu ray playing at 480i is a bit pointless....

Thank You.

Unfortunately, all 2011 and newer players are required to do this. It's called 'analog sunset', if a BD title is authored with a certain bit enabled, the player can only output that protected content at 480i. It is supposedly intended to be a copy protection mechanism, but in reality it hurts innocent consumers like you, while pirates can easily and quickly rip BD discs using their computers without the loss in quality that would occur when capturing analog video over a component video connection.

Your only options to resolve are to use HDMI or to use an older BD player that is not analog sunset compliant.
post #1557 of 2322 Old 02-11-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpic View Post

Anyone with the Netflix issues please let LG know about it, the first time I contacted them they made it sound like they knew about it but the second time it sounded like they were saying it was only my issue and no others were reporting anything.

They had me do a hard reset (unplug and hold power button for 10 sec.) & sent me the firmware "downgrade" CD to go back to .376F from .382E, the problem as I noted back to them is that when you go back to .376F you cannot use Netflix at all as the app. itself requires .382E and will require you to "upgrade" to .382E to use it.

So there is no reason at all to downgrade to .376F if you are interested in using Netflix, it's not like it will allow you to use the "old" Netflix interface\\app.

Well, that's fantastic. Am I the only one thinking that LG is going to quietly walk away and wash their hands of this box?

I'll try reporting the issues to them, but based on what I've been reading, here and elsewhere, I'm not expecting that to accomplish much.

Is anyone currently streaming HD movies via Netflix with this box without issues?
post #1558 of 2322 Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 AM

Liked: 23
My 670 will no longer stream Netflix either, it used to work reasonably well.
It wouldn't allow me to install the update either. I'll reboot it and see if I can update after the reboot.

Doug

Completed

post #1559 of 2322 Old 02-11-2012, 12:56 PM

soxfan33 (and others w\\Netflix issues). It would be interesting to see if this resolves your problems;

1. Do a factory spec reset - unplug the player and then press and hold the power button for at least 10 sec. and then plug back in. This is what support had me do but it did not help for me & keep in mind this will reset everything so you will have to set up all again.

2. Go to Netflix and change your quality setting to "better" if it is not already.

My two players (LG BD690 & a Samsung D5700) both have\\had issues with Netflix recently.

The LG (connected by ethernet wired) was fine until the Netflix app was changed to the new version and that introduced a lip sync issue (audio is behind the video) some movies\ itles are very bad others are off just enough to be noticeable but everything I have tried has shown this. I never get buffer issues with HD on this player.

The Samsung (wireless) was fine until recently (about 2 weeks ago) now everything that is HD buffers every minute or so makes it un-watchable. I fixed it by setting my Netflix account to "better" from "best" now it does not buffer anymore.

So if you are using wireless maybe you are seeing the same thing as I did with the Samsung? Maybe Netflix recently changed what the HD streams at and it is causing issues with wireless keeping up?

Don't know, but it would be interesting to see what happens if you try those things out.
post #1560 of 2322 Old 02-11-2012, 02:04 PM

I also had problems with my LG 670 and Netflix, but now it's fixed. I had to lower the MTU setting on my router from 1500 to 1480. (It's possible that 1492 would be a better choice).

Here is what I sent LG support:

I can't get NetFlix to work or even activate. My software level is bd.8.62.382 My Driver level is H90372 (H09LGN). This is a new machine that I got for Christmas. It is hooked up wired, not wireless. I can get to the Internet using Google Maps, so I know it is connected. When I do a Deactivate Netflix, then go to Premium, Netflix, I get the red Netflix screen, then a half minute later, a black screen that says "Yes" "No" "Back" "Start Over". If I try Netflix again without the Deactivate, I get the Red screen for a while,followed by a gray screen with "Unable to connect to Netfix. Please try again or visit www.netflix.com/tvhelp", which doesn't tell me what to do. I cannot find an activation code anywhere on the BD670. If I try the Netflix ESN, it says it isn't valid. What do I do?

During the course of several online chats with LG support, I did lots of things, like resets, updating using USB and disk, etc. Nothing helped. So I was waiting for another software update by LG's recommendation.

In the mean time, I was having similar problems with my new Kindle Touch. It would also connect to the Internet, but new books wouldn't download. But when I went to the McDonalds and used their WiFi, everything would work.

So I decided that my old Belkin pre-N router was finally causing a problem. I upgraded to a new Cisco Linksys E3200 dual-band router. The Kindle didn't care - it still failed.

So I've been haunting Google looking for an answer to why a Belkin or Linksys router would cause this problem. Eventually I found this:http://ask.metafilter.com/180024/My-...-but-Wont-Sync

Which led me to this (and other similar posts elsewhere): http://askville.amazon.com/problem-K...estId=82205796

The MTU on my Linksys was set to 1500 already. So I dropped it to 1480 as one post suggested. That fixed my Kindle problem.

And a couple days later, I was using my LG 670 player again, and hooked it up to the new wireless on the Linksys. I had a bit of time, so I tried Netflix again.

And it worked!

So I now believe that both the LG 670 and the Kindle have bugs that prevent some of their functions from working with some routers when MTU is set to 1500.

Maybe some time I'll change MTU back to 1500 to see if that breaks the Kindle and the LG 670 again, and prove my hypothesis.

GuideBill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd650 3d Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , Lg Bd690 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv And 250gb Hard Drive , Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , New Lg 3d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv 1080p Bd650 , Lg , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - Bd670 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page