Official LG BD690/670/650/6xx Series Thread - Page 57 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1681 of 2322 Old 03-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Newbie
 
dudzsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!
Last December I bought a BD670. Anyone else noticed that it does not play the Full HD level 4.0 mp4 file? The specification should play.
dudzsi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1682 of 2322 Old 03-23-2012, 06:27 PM
M4P
Senior Member
 
M4P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete8475 View Post

It's nice that it can login BUT the main reason I'd like to login is to access my Youtube favorites. Unfortunately all you get with this player is one big playlist with no way of jumping straight to a specific clip. The original Youtube app was WAY better in this respect.

Still no favorites access? That stinks. So what's the point of accessing your Youtube account if you can't access favorites?

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
M4P is offline  
post #1683 of 2322 Old 03-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Member
 
Thetau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: TC
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of reviewing the LG BD670 for home use. The 1 star reviews on Amazon all seem to suggest an inferior disc player mechanism. However, I may still try one and put it too a serious test playing CDs, DVDs, & Blu-Rays.

Anyway, I just went to the LG site - http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-BD670

it seems that the latest firmware update version they offer is -the Firmware update for BD650/BD660/BD670/BD690 (Ver:BD.8.97.382.E/Date:2012.01.02). However, there are postings above that list firmware BD.8.97.398? Did LG pull the .398 version? Is .382 stable? Is there somewhere online where the firmware versions are available for download? I see that two of the postings about the .398 firmware are from outside the US - maybe they got that version from a non-US LG website?


I am looking for the internet streaming features via LG's 'SmartTv' apps and I have read multiple complaints about streaming issues. I am going to hardwire my ethernet connection instead of using WiFi since it is an easy run to my router AND I have read enough to know that a hardwire connection eliminates WiFi issues.

Lastly, I have yet to confirm it but it seems from reading a comment somewhere that the actual interface that shows up for the internet apps like NetFlix, YouTube, Vudu, etc. are designed/programmed by those companies and supplied to the player's manufacturer? So for instance, NetFlix makes an interface that will work for LG's players and supplies it to them? LG runs a basic test to see if it works then releases it via firmware? I realize I need to go to school on this issue since it seems all the internet apps should be similarly designed (linux-based?) and they should look/work the same regardless of the player?

jef with a Yamaha AV Receiver HTR-5540, a Panasonic Blu Ray Player DMPBDT220 & a Panasonic 3D TCL42ET5 HDTV.


""Educate & inform the . . . people . . . They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." --Thomas Jefferson, 1787."

Thetau is offline  
post #1684 of 2322 Old 03-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
sd_smoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: OKC
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I could be wrong, but I thought Netflix just provided the API and the manufacturers design their own interface. Each player seems to have its own interface and I can't see Netflix writing all of them. Even my BD390 has a very different interface than the BD670.
sd_smoker is offline  
post #1685 of 2322 Old 03-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Newbie
 
secondelement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetau View Post

I am in the process of reviewing the LG BD670 for home use. The 1 star reviews on Amazon all seem to suggest an inferior disc player mechanism. However, I may still try one and put it too a serious test playing CDs, DVDs, & Blu-Rays.

Anyway, I just went to the LG site -

it seems that the latest firmware update version they offer is -the Firmware update for BD650/BD660/BD670/BD690 (Ver:BD.8.97.382.E/Date:2012.01.02). However, there are postings above that list firmware BD.8.97.398? Did LG pull the .398 version? Is .382 stable? Is there somewhere online where the firmware versions are available for download? I see that two of the postings about the .398 firmware are from outside the US - maybe they got that version from a non-US LG website?


I am looking for the internet streaming features via LG's 'SmartTv' apps and I have read multiple complaints about streaming issues. I am going to hardwire my ethernet connection instead of using WiFi since it is an easy run to my router AND I have read enough to know that a hardwire connection eliminates WiFi issues.

Lastly, I have yet to confirm it but it seems from reading a comment somewhere that the actual interface that shows up for the internet apps like NetFlix, YouTube, Vudu, etc. are designed/programmed by those companies and supplied to the player's manufacturer? So for instance, NetFlix makes an interface that will work for LG's players and supplies it to them? LG runs a basic test to see if it works then releases it via firmware? I realize I need to go to school on this issue since it seems all the internet apps should be similarly designed (linux-based?) and they should look/work the same regardless of the player?


It indeed looks like the 398 update had been pulled. I am within the US and had updated to 398 and it caused my BD670 to completely freeze nearly every time I turned it on. Through my own testing (no help from LG support), I discovered the issue had to do with the wifi connection -- as soon as it connected to my network it would freeze. To fix, I powered off my router, started the BD670 (no freezing!) and downgraded the BD670 via USB to an older firmware version I happened to still have saved. Reconnected router, updated to 382 the normal way, and I seem to be back in business. In my opinion, 382 is probably one of the better versions they've done. Some previous versions had a DVD skipping problems, and the 398 was a total mess.

To answer some of your other questions based on my experience: this is the second LG bluray/streamer I've had, the first was a BD5xx that had the optical drive go bad. So far, the drive on this one is OK. Main streaming issues have to do with Hulu -- I am on somewhat slow DSL and use the LG on my wifi network so that may be part of it, although Netflix has been pretty much flawless for me on the LG and Hulu works fine on my laptop also on wifi. I also use Pandora with no issues. I haven't used any of the other streaming services on this player.

I don't know anything about the interface, so can't help there.

This being my second LG that's had pretty annoying problems I can't say I recommend them, but that's just one person's opinion.

Hope that helps.
secondelement is offline  
post #1686 of 2322 Old 03-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vampidemic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetau View Post

I am in the process of reviewing the LG BD670 for home use. The 1 star reviews on Amazon all seem to suggest an inferior disc player mechanism. However, I may still try one and put it too a serious test playing CDs, DVDs, & Blu-Rays.

Anyway, I just went to the LG site - http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-BD670

it seems that the latest firmware update version they offer is -the Firmware update for BD650/BD660/BD670/BD690 (Ver:BD.8.97.382.E/Date:2012.01.02). However, there are postings above that list firmware BD.8.97.398? Did LG pull the .398 version? Is .382 stable? Is there somewhere online where the firmware versions are available for download? I see that two of the postings about the .398 firmware are from outside the US - maybe they got that version from a non-US LG website?


I am looking for the internet streaming features via LG's 'SmartTv' apps and I have read multiple complaints about streaming issues. I am going to hardwire my ethernet connection instead of using WiFi since it is an easy run to my router AND I have read enough to know that a hardwire connection eliminates WiFi issues.

Lastly, I have yet to confirm it but it seems from reading a comment somewhere that the actual interface that shows up for the internet apps like NetFlix, YouTube, Vudu, etc. are designed/programmed by those companies and supplied to the player's manufacturer? So for instance, NetFlix makes an interface that will work for LG's players and supplies it to them? LG runs a basic test to see if it works then releases it via firmware? I realize I need to go to school on this issue since it seems all the internet apps should be similarly designed (linux-based?) and they should look/work the same regardless of the player?

In regards to the firmware updates, it should be noted that LG is usually slow to post updates to their Web site. The updates first become available through direct updates on the players. It often takes several days, a week, or even longer for the same updates to become available on the LG Web site.

The .382 update is generally stable in my experience. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the .398 update fixed an issue I had with files buffering unnecessarily when streaming files via DLNA. I have a US player and I downloaded the .398 update directly from the player. So far, I haven't had any problems with it.

Whether they recalled the update, I don't have an easy way to tell. There were several users here that reported bricked players after installing the update, so it sounds like there may have been good reason to recall it even though my experience has been good.

Who develops the streaming apps for the players? It's not public knowledge, but I would be very surprised if it's LG. Some companies with streaming services may develop their own apps, but more likely outside agencies are contracted to develop and test the apps on their behalf. LG may do some level of validation for new and/or updated apps before releasing them to users though, much like Apple approves iOS apps in the iOS App Store.

There aren't much in the way of standards across manufacturers for streaming apps. As a result, you'll get a different experience using a given streaming app on devices for different manufacturers, or even the same manufacturer if you use an older model device.

On the 2011 LG players (and likely the 2012 models as well) the "Premium" streaming applications are not part of the software updates directly. The Premium apps have their own update function which kicks in automatically when the Premium App page is loaded on the player. The good thing about this design is that it allows the apps to be updated more frequently and/or for new apps to be added using a process which is much quicker and easier than that of installing a player software update (I don't think the Premium App updates have ever taken longer than 30 seconds for me if even though, whereas the software updates usually take quite some time, 10 minutes or longer). The down side is that the apps get updated automatically without user control (you can't decline the update or roll back if you don't like the new version). Additionally, some of the past app updates have had software update dependencies, which means you may have no choice but to install a newer version of the player software if you want to continue using a Premium App that has a software dependency.

One thing I've noticed is that some of the dedicated streaming devices seem to do a better job at nurturing their streaming application options than the Blu-ray manufacturers. Roku is one example of a streaming device with a lot of streaming entertainment options and both their Netflix and Amazon Instant Video apps feature 5.1 surround and HD support, there a quite a number of other devices on the market these days as well. With Roku in particular, the device was launched only with Netflix support, then they added other apps such as Amazon. Now they have an open SDK so anyone can write a Roku app and most of them will work on the very first Roku devices that came out years ago. In contrast, the Blu-ray streaming options seem to stop being updated as soon as a new model comes out. The BD670 and other 2011 models added Amazon Instant Video and Hulu after the initial release of the player, but neither of those apps were added to the 2010 models.

LG's Amazon Instant Video app for the 2011 players does not support 5.1 surround and I don't think its likely to get updated given that the 2012 LG players don't have Amazon Instant Video at all. The rumor is that LG couldn't come to an agreement with Amazon to include their app on the new players and some of other apps on the 2011 models are missing as well. This seems like a bad sign for LG's platform. It makes me wonder if their market share is too low for the streaming providers to bother supporting the platform.

I'm pretty happy with my BD670, but if it died I would look at getting a cheap Blu-ray player just to handle discs along with a dedicated streaming device. Then again, since the BD670 is no longer being made, it looks like they are a pretty good bargain now.
Vampidemic is offline  
post #1687 of 2322 Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 AM
M4P
Senior Member
 
M4P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudzsi View Post

Hello!
Last December I bought a BD670. Anyone else noticed that it does not play the Full HD level 4.0 mp4 file? The specification should play.

How many different files have you tried to play? For me, I can play mp4's at high level 4.1, except for an occasional one that doesn't play.

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
M4P is offline  
post #1688 of 2322 Old 03-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Member
 
Thetau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: TC
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick replies. I downloaded the LG BD670 manual to read up on features like the remote and firmware updates. Any comments on the criticisms about the remote being 'less than responsive' such as slow and also having to press buttons more than a quick press?

Also according to the BD670 manual it states - This unit cannot be updated to previous software version. But I have read postings where the user has somehow reverted back from a crappy version? Also the manual states you either cancel or hide an update for the firmware? Some comments, mostly on Amazon reviews, state the player forces firmware updates? I would guess the manual is correct about being able to cancel or hide an update. Plus the manual also claims that the player should be devoid of a disc or usb drive before updating.

Lastly, I am amazed and perplexed about the lack of clarity from manufacturers about the so-called SmartTV apps - Internet based apps that run to the TV, either through a player like the BD670 or a TV with it built into it. Panasonic calls theirs Viera and both they and LG do NOT make it very easy or clear for finding out what internet apps are available before buying the product. After painstaking online research at both those manufacturers websites I managed to find most of information. However, my best source for Panasonic's Viera was a news release from this January's CES - see http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...136976738.html.

jef with a Yamaha AV Receiver HTR-5540, a Panasonic Blu Ray Player DMPBDT220 & a Panasonic 3D TCL42ET5 HDTV.


""Educate & inform the . . . people . . . They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." --Thomas Jefferson, 1787."

Thetau is offline  
post #1689 of 2322 Old 03-26-2012, 03:24 AM
Member
 
ozzzie3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone have their hard drive disappear? Using it for Vudu downloads but now it shows 0gb available, 0gb used? Movie download states no space?

Thanks
ozzzie3 is online now  
post #1690 of 2322 Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Vance14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I must be using the YouTube App wrong because it really seems still unusable to me. I added my account, but when I go to my subscriptions, it just starts playing a video rather than giving me a list to choose from (which seems idiotic), and while I see a type of up and down button option which should scroll through the videos, they don't seem to work. So, I must skip through every video.

I am used to the Xbox implementation, where I get a menu to choose whether to browse by subject, favorites, subscriptions, etc. And, when I choose my subscriptions I get a list of them, and when I choose the channel I subscribe to, I get a list of the videos available. How do I get to a similar menu list on my LG? Even just a list of some type without it automatically playing a video.

I keep my huge Blu-ray collection stored at Netflix. :0)
Vance14 is offline  
post #1691 of 2322 Old 03-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vampidemic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetau View Post

Thanks for the quick replies. I downloaded the LG BD670 manual to read up on features like the remote and firmware updates. Any comments on the criticisms about the remote being 'less than responsive' such as slow and also having to press buttons more than a quick press?

Also according to the BD670 manual it states - This unit cannot be updated to previous software version. But I have read postings where the user has somehow reverted back from a crappy version? Also the manual states you either cancel or hide an update for the firmware? Some comments, mostly on Amazon reviews, state the player forces firmware updates? I would guess the manual is correct about being able to cancel or hide an update. Plus the manual also claims that the player should be devoid of a disc or usb drive before updating.

Lastly, I am amazed and perplexed about the lack of clarity from manufacturers about the so-called SmartTV apps - Internet based apps that run to the TV, either through a player like the BD670 or a TV with it built into it. Panasonic calls theirs Viera and both they and LG do NOT make it very easy or clear for finding out what internet apps are available before buying the product. After painstaking online research at both those manufacturers websites I managed to find most of information. However, my best source for Panasonic's Viera was a news release from this January's CES - see http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...136976738.html.

I haven't had problems with the remote being "less than responsive" myself. There are some circumstances where the player may be slow to respond. As an example, when viewing a streaming video via DLNA or CIFS/SMB, it usually takes awhile after pressing the "Info" button for the information to pop-up on the display. This is a minor annoyance, but I only see this with certain task (and I can't think of any other examples at the moment) and I don't think the problem is with the remote itself.

As for software updates, let me try to explain. Firstly, there are three different types of updates: Software updates, driver updates and Premium App updates.

Software updates and driver updates can be installed one of two ways: 1) directly through the player over its network connection or 2) via an installer downloaded from the LG Web site and applied to the player via physical media such as a flash drive.

Software updates generally have a name such as 'BD.8.97.382.E' and are the type of updates that are likely to add new functionality or fix bugs on the player.

Driver updates usually have a name such as 'H90376'. I'm not certain exactly what these updates do specifically, but they usually don't seem to have an obvious impact on the player's behavior in the way that software updates often do.

Network connected players will periodically check for updates automatically and offer the user the option to update the software if a software update or driver update is detected. However, the user has a choice to install the update, cancel the operation or hide the update so it doesn't continue to display. Via the settings screen, the user can also manually check for and/or install updates via the network, or connect media to the player with an update file to initiate a prompt to install.

Premium App Updates occur automatically and the user does not have control of them. Anytime you visit the Premium Apps page on the player, it will check for updates and if there are any it will install the automatically. Premium App updates can have software update dependencies. If/when this happens, launching a Premium app may give you a message stating that a software update is required to use the app, and will give you the option of using the software/driver update function on the settings page to download the required software update.

I don't think LG officially supports software rollbacks. However, up until now, LG hasn't imposed any restrictions to prevent users from installing older software updates. Therefore, you can install older versions of software or drivers if you have the installer file to put on a flash drive or disc. LG does not normally host older versions of their player software on their Web site. Once they post a new update, they generally take the previous version down. Therefore, the only way to obtain older versions of the software is to download copies of the software installers when they're new and keep copies of them locally, or find somewhere else on the Internet where someone else that downloaded an installer posted one. I would be careful about the latter option myself -- in particular, make sure that you're getting a file from the same region your player was purchased in. Of course, if you use any Premium Apps, software dependencies may limit the usefullness of installing an older version of the player software.

As for why the Player's do not advertise what apps are available? One reason may be that the app selection can change. There used to be a Napster app for the BD6xx series, but then Napster got acquired by Rhapsody and they shut the app down. It may also depend on the terms of the player manufacturers agreements with the services that host the content that the apps display.
Vampidemic is offline  
post #1692 of 2322 Old 03-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Member
 
pete8475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance14 View Post

OK, I must be using the YouTube App wrong because it really seems still unusable to me. I added my account, but when I go to my subscriptions, it just starts playing a video rather than giving me a list to choose from (which seems idiotic), and while I see a type of up and down button option which should scroll through the videos, they don't seem to work. So, I must skip through every video.

I am used to the Xbox implementation, where I get a menu to choose whether to browse by subject, favorites, subscriptions, etc. And, when I choose my subscriptions I get a list of them, and when I choose the channel I subscribe to, I get a list of the videos available. How do I get to a similar menu list on my LG? Even just a list of some type without it automatically playing a video.

You aren't doing anything wrong, it basically still IS useless.
pete8475 is offline  
post #1693 of 2322 Old 03-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Newbie
 
billd104's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondelement View Post

It indeed looks like the 398 update had been pulled. I am within the US and had updated to 398 and it caused my BD670 to completely freeze nearly every time I turned it on. Through my own testing (no help from LG support), I discovered the issue had to do with the wifi connection -- as soon as it connected to my network it would freeze. To fix, I powered off my router, started the BD670 (no freezing!) and downgraded the BD670 via USB to an older firmware version I happened to still have saved. Reconnected router, updated to 382 the normal way, and I seem to be back in business. In my opinion, 382 is probably one of the better versions they've done. Some previous versions had a DVD skipping problems, and the 398 was a total mess.

To answer some of your other questions based on my experience: this is the second LG bluray/streamer I've had, the first was a BD5xx that had the optical drive go bad. So far, the drive on this one is OK. Main streaming issues have to do with Hulu -- I am on somewhat slow DSL and use the LG on my wifi network so that may be part of it, although Netflix has been pretty much flawless for me on the LG and Hulu works fine on my laptop also on wifi. I also use Pandora with no issues. I haven't used any of the other streaming services on this player.

I don't know anything about the interface, so can't help there.

This being my second LG that's had pretty annoying problems I can't say I recommend them, but that's just one person's opinion.

Hope that helps.

How did you get the BD670 to downgrade the firmware. Whenever I try to flash via USB it says firmware fails.
billd104 is offline  
post #1694 of 2322 Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Member
 
xfooyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having problems with audio since the last firmware update. Getting loud reverberating noise when streaming video files using dlna. If i set audio to pcm stereo, everything sounds fine. Any other audio setting gives this awful reverb noise. Any one else have this?
xfooyen is offline  
post #1695 of 2322 Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Buckeye911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I enjoyed the MLB premium channel for the Seattle / Oakland regular season opening game in Japan this morning. I was impressed with the application, no stutter or buffer issues and the audio was fine. Picture quality was fine as well. It looks like I'll be enjoying a lot of baseball this season with my BD670. I watched the game on the LG as well as my PS3 and two Roku boxes. All these devices did a good job although the Rokus had some issues with changing aspect ratios and squeezing pictures. Roku says this issue will be cleared up very soon. I will say that I prefer the user interface on the LG and PS3 over the Roku but they're all pretty good.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Buckeye911 is offline  
post #1696 of 2322 Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Trevorsplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way to stop the 670 from defaulting to sub titles on when playing media from your network.
I have to turn them off every time I play a file.
Trevorsplace is offline  
post #1697 of 2322 Old 03-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Member
 
jtokach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. Can someone tell me if the BD670 supports PLEX?

jtokach is offline  
post #1698 of 2322 Old 03-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vampidemic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtokach View Post

Hi. Can someone tell me if the BD670 supports PLEX?


In short, no. Some LG Smart TVs and I believe the "Smart TV Upgrader" device have built in support for Plex called "MediaLink" but the 2011 LG Blu-ray players do not have this feature.

I don't know a lot about Plex, if their servers have any support for generic DLNA clients, it may be possible to connect the BD670 to a Plex server in that context, but the player does not have built in support for Plex.
Vampidemic is offline  
post #1699 of 2322 Old 03-31-2012, 05:34 AM
Member
 
whart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ny
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the guy's candor was refreshing. it appears that the most recent software update is buggy- and he recommended that i downgrade to the .833 version by downloading it from LG online support onto a thumbdrive and installling it to overwrite the current version (so much for updating the software everytime i get a prompt).
I was experiencing audio dropout streaming Game of Thrones on Vudu (HDX) which was inexplicable to me, having tried all kinds of troublingshooting to identify the source of the problem.

I wish somebody would make a hi-end upgradeable streaming box. I guess that's why people build these things out of computers? I've had the Roku (smelled like it was burning up and no support), a Samsung Blu player (nicer player than the LG, but I had problems) and now the LG, which has been quirky as well).
I do have to give props to the support guy. He was right up front about their software problem when i told him what i was experiencing.
I'll let you know if I have problems doing the backstep on the software.
whart is offline  
post #1700 of 2322 Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 AM
M4P
Senior Member
 
M4P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night I got the message that there was a new driver, ending in 376, so I installed it. This morning I tried playing a movie file that had played fine previous to the driver update. I first trying playing it off a USB stick hooked to the player. It froze about 2 minutes in, and then the player shut off.

Next I tried playing it but this time I put the USB stick in my router (my router has built in DLNA). Again, the movie froze a couple minutes in.

Then I tried just streaming the movie wirelessly from my computer. Again, movie froze and this time I had to unplug the player as it had become completely unresponsive.

I had the previous driver, version 368, on a USB stick, so I downgraded the driver to that version.

Tried playing the movie file again, all ways I had previously tried playing it, and in every case, it played perfectly.

So conclusion is that the driver update had caused the problem, so be aware if you update the driver, you may experience problems.

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
M4P is offline  
post #1701 of 2322 Old 04-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Member
 
xfooyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have a link to download past firmware for BD6xx? The LG site only has current files afaik.
xfooyen is offline  
post #1702 of 2322 Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Member
 
defmoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAzul View Post

I have put off writing this for some time because I wanted to organize my thoughts...

[...]

The main thing is that it is not a good, efficient, reliable blu-ray and dvd player.

I rarely do anything other than play DVD, Blu-ray, and red book CDs on my 670. Old school. After the latest update I can't even do these simple things without trouble of some sort or another. I'm not much of a complainer, either, despite the onslaught of poor quality and inferior service that define the "new norm."

It am what it am, so... I'm done. I've wasted enough money and most importantly my valuable personal time. For what, chasing pixels?

Simple sound + vision is all I expected. The minimum.

LG did not deliver.

hi-fidelity — why fight it?
defmoot is offline  
post #1703 of 2322 Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Newbie
 
XPuntar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Even by very slim chance , is vorbiss audio (it is free codec!!!) now supported on BD670?

I find it rather very odd, that their own LG TV (LE5300) can play such files, but without sound, while their own BD drive directly refuses to even play such file.

BD 670 only show the message "Audio not supported" and bam, back on menu. TV itself plays those without problems, but with no sound.

XPuntar is offline  
post #1704 of 2322 Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Member
 
netorders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried to network from my Mac mini running lion. I read on another site that it won't work because apple uses an updated version of cis while the lg 670 uses an earlier one. It sees the computer can't see the data. Soooooo another DING !!!

I guess ATV 3 down the road once it is jb'ed or move the mini to the tv if there is a new mini when mtn lion is released.
netorders is offline  
post #1705 of 2322 Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vampidemic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by netorders View Post

I tried to network from my Mac mini running lion. I read on another site that it won't work because apple uses an updated version of cis while the lg 670 uses an earlier one. It sees the computer can't see the data. Soooooo another DING !!!

I guess ATV 3 down the road once it is jb'ed or move the mini to the tv if there is a new mini when mtn lion is released.

This really is an issue with Lion, not with the LG players. Lots of other media players and NAS devices have the same compatibility issues with Lion. The license terms of Samba changed so Apple wrote their own software to replace it.

There was a workaround posted in this forum a few months back, though it's somewhat involved.

Another alternative is to use a DLNA server instead of CIFS/SMB. I use Serviio on my Mac, which is free and can transcode lots of file types not natively supported by the BD670.
Vampidemic is offline  
post #1706 of 2322 Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Newbie
 
stevemayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering the BD670 largely because of a review in PCWorld that says:

"Any Blu-ray player can bookmark a disc so that you can return to the same spot later--provided it's a Blu-ray Disc that specifically supports bookmarking (most don't). But the BD670 can save up to nine bookmarks for any Blu-ray Disc or DVD. Unfortunately, the bookmarks disappear when you change discs.

A related feature: If you remove a disc (Blu-ray or DVD) in the middle of a movie, and then reinsert the disc--even days later with other discs played in between--the BD670 will ask whether you want to start at the beginning or go back to where you were."

But I downloaded the manual which says that this feature does not work for BD-J discs. It suggests that the bookmark feature might not work on BD-J discs either. Can anybody comfirm if resume and bookmarks works for all discs including BD-J? If not, can you pause indefinitely or resume from stop on any disc? It is maddening that if you pause for too long or stop playback many players make you start all over again, including previews...

Thanks!
stevemayman is offline  
post #1707 of 2322 Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Newbie
 
jep0617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As a previous poster asked, does anybody have a link to older firmware? I have read that older versions didn't have the audio sync issue.

I have been told by various people at LG that there was a firmware update coming specifically to address the audio/video sync issue with streaming content. Without boring you with details, I have gotten A LOT of different answers when inquiring about this, and now they are just ignoring me. The Live Chat feature doesn't even work anymore.

Netflix is basically unwatchable on this device, and one of the main reasons I bought it was to watch MLB.tv in my bedroom. I have a couple of weeks left before I can't return it to Amazon, and I'm thinking about going with Roku instead. Anybody have any advice? I would prefer to stick with the Blu Ray player, but LG, and especially their customer support has really let me down. Thanks.
jep0617 is offline  
post #1708 of 2322 Old 04-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vampidemic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jep0617 View Post

As a previous poster asked, does anybody have a link to older firmware? I have read that older versions didn't have the audio sync issue.

I have been told by various people at LG that there was a firmware update coming specifically to address the audio/video sync issue with streaming content. Without boring you with details, I have gotten A LOT of different answers when inquiring about this, and now they are just ignoring me. The Live Chat feature doesn't even work anymore.

Netflix is basically unwatchable on this device, and one of the main reasons I bought it was to watch MLB.tv in my bedroom. I have a couple of weeks left before I can't return it to Amazon, and I'm thinking about going with Roku instead. Anybody have any advice? I would prefer to stick with the Blu Ray player, but LG, and especially their customer support has really let me down. Thanks.

It's unlikely that a software rollback will resolve this problem. The problem was reported after the Netflix App itself was updated. Premium App updates get installed automatically. There is no way to rollback Premium app updates, only software and driver installations can be initiated by the user.
Vampidemic is offline  
post #1709 of 2322 Old 04-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vampidemic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemayman View Post

I am considering the BD670 largely because of a review in PCWorld that says:

"Any Blu-ray player can bookmark a disc so that you can return to the same spot later--provided it's a Blu-ray Disc that specifically supports bookmarking (most don't). But the BD670 can save up to nine bookmarks for any Blu-ray Disc or DVD. Unfortunately, the bookmarks disappear when you change discs.

A related feature: If you remove a disc (Blu-ray or DVD) in the middle of a movie, and then reinsert the disc--even days later with other discs played in between--the BD670 will ask whether you want to start at the beginning or go back to where you were."

But I downloaded the manual which says that this feature does not work for BD-J discs. It suggests that the bookmark feature might not work on BD-J discs either. Can anybody comfirm if resume and bookmarks works for all discs including BD-J? If not, can you pause indefinitely or resume from stop on any disc? It is maddening that if you pause for too long or stop playback many players make you start all over again, including previews...

Thanks!

Resume works slightly different than described. With standard DVD or Blu-ray discs, playback resumes automatically upon playback after being stopped or ejected during playback (there is no user option to resume or not). This does not work with BD-J discs.

The "Marker" functional also does not work with BD-J discs. However, many BD-J discs have a built in Bookmark function that can be used instead.

If you "Stop" a BD-J disc, the Java player application unloads, so you will need to wait for it to reload upon the next playback. Not sure if "Pause" mode will sustain itself "indefinitely", but I don't recall ever having problems with the player leaving Pause mode unexpectedly.
Vampidemic is offline  
post #1710 of 2322 Old 04-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Newbie
 
stevemayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for othe confirmatinon Vamp. I had a feeling the review was too good to be true. However, if it will sustain a reasonable pause and resume non BD-J discs that is probably as good as I can get for less than a $500. It sounds like a good unit other than the slow loads, but it is worth the wait if I only have to do it once!
stevemayman is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd650 3d Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , Lg Bd690 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv And 250gb Hard Drive , Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , New Lg 3d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv 1080p Bd650 , Lg , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - Bd670 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off