CPB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili99 View Post

Hi guys

I see that someone has finally managed to swap the hard drive. When the player first came out people were unable to swap drives and someone put up a website charging people to "mod" their units using "secret sauce" techniques. Now for the questions:

Is swapping the drive any different than for BD590?

Same process as BD590

Would old non-advance-format 2TB drives like Hitachi's 240UI work?

Since the drive that came out of my BD690 was non AF, I would imagine it would work better with non-AF drives such as 240UI - so the answer is Yes smile.gif

Does the player ask you to reformat the drive if you press "movie " real fast/dont allow it to spin up?

I haven't experienced this but someone who did the swap a few posts up seems to be having the same issue

Any recommended drives?

I would recommend a non-AF drive of any size, but if you can only find AF drives see my post a few posts up for the model of 2TB Hitachi I used

Is this optical disk grinding a common issue?

Seems like it based on the posts here - bad glue on these units from the factory probably....
Chili99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2325 Old 08-27-2013, 08:41 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks, CPB. In the very beginning, some people were having issues and most drives then were non-advanced format drives. The speed of the drive might have something to do with the formating message. The grinding issue is disappointing. This player could easily be a slam dunk winner. The easy drive swapping is due to their sloppiness rather than any foresight.
post #2253 of 2325 Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
the grinding issue is an easy fix
post #2254 of 2325 Old 09-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

Well I may have spoken too soon. It's working, but it's hit and miss every time I turn on the player now whether it wants to recognize the hard drive. I turned off the quick start and auto shutdown through the setup menu, thinking I should be more careful how I power up and down now with the big drive in there, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. I even did the Internal HDD Format again when it was the only way I could think of to get it to (re) recognize the drive (before I had loaded any files on it so no biggie). I'm only now transferring most of the shows from the USB drive to the hard drive and I'm nervous that it keeps behaving this way it's not going to do my parents any good if every time they try to use it it's a 50/50 shot they're even going to be able to access the stuff I'm recording for them.

CPB, did you have to tweak anything else with the settings to get the player to recognize the Toshiba drive consistently? If anyone else has any suggestions on this I'm all ears. Thanks.

Hi folks. Just wanted to update from my earlier post above that the issues I was having have mostly settled down now and the 2TB Toshiba hard drive I installed is working fine. Every once in a while after I turn it on the HDD choice won't appear but always simply turning the player off then back on again does make it come up again, and that only happens maybe 1 in 10 times I turn it on. (BTW I did turn quick start back on since that didn't seem to have anything to do with it). It does make me a little nervous that at some point the player might stop recognizing the hard drive even after rebooting but until that happens I'm happy with it and more importantly my parents are happy with it since it's their player now.

BTW, random tip of the day: if you ever fly with a bluray player (especially one with a hard drive) be sure to check your bag. I put mine in my carry on figuring that TSA would take a look but not figuring it would lead to 20 min of questioning and of having every item in my possession wanded because half a dozen TSA agents together couldn't figure out if it might actually be a bomb. Not that I mind them being thorough but if I had known it would be that difficult I'd have definitely spared myself the hassle.
post #2255 of 2325 Old 09-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

well...latest firmware has officially bricked my unit...
post #2256 of 2325 Old 09-22-2013, 10:38 AM

Hi. Can you expand upon what exactly you glued in order to resolve the spindle grinding noise. I took apart my BD690, removed the top cover of the black plastic housing that holds the whole laser assembly and tray, and noticed that the black spindle has some gouge marks on it. However, when I insert a disc in the player with the top plastic cover removed, I do not have any grinding issue. The top cover that I removed has a free-floating round piece that apparently lines up with the bottom spindle when you insert a disc. However, I think that for some reason it does not line up and may have caused the damage to the spindle. I wonder if I can just go without mounting the top cover and just be careful not to tilt or move the player when inserting a disc. I think it is meant to hold the disc in place, and that is the only function. The gouges within the bottom spindle are not too great to prevent discs from being seated correctly. Advice?

This is the bottom spindle (top pic):

This is the top spindle (mounted to the inside side of the top cover (you can see the magnet piece attached [before I realized that this needs to be adhered to the bottom spindle - see post further below])...
post #2257 of 2325 Old 09-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I offer this bit of info about addressing grinding noises in a Panasonic DMP-BD55 player, in case some of it applies to your LG.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1075161/official-panasonic-dmp-bd35-55-owners-thread/14800_100#post_23088993

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #2258 of 2325 Old 09-22-2013, 03:25 PM

<<< I also cleaned the small round platter the center of the disc rides on (there was crud all over the rubberized portion of it). Put it back together and been using it since. So far, so good - plays fine and no grinding noises. We'll see if this is just a tease, or the problem is actually fixed.>>>

This may apply slightly. There looks like some sort of gray rubber coating that may have rubbed off. Not much trace of it left, if it actually had it on it. Does someone have a DB690 that they could look at (inside of the top cover). You may want to inspect yours for some sort of preventative action. Not certain what I could put in it's place without impeading inserting a new disc. Thanks for the quick response.

Also, there is no grinding noise when I remove the top cover, plug the unit back in and insert a disc. I can see the disc spin with no issues. Noise only reappears when I put the top back on (with the spindle).
post #2259 of 2325 Old 09-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by optyman View Post

<<< I also cleaned the small round platter the center of the disc rides on (there was crud all over the rubberized portion of it). Put it back together and been using it since. So far, so good - plays fine and no grinding noises. We'll see if this is just a tease, or the problem is actually fixed.>>>

This may apply slightly. There looks like some sort of gray rubber coating that may have rubbed off. Not much trace of it left, if it actually had it on it. Does someone have a DB690 that they could look at (inside of the top cover). You may want to inspect yours for some sort of preventative action. Not certain what I could put in it's place without impeading inserting a new disc. Thanks for the quick response.

You might also check the rails that the head assembly rides on to make sure the entire length of both rails are free of dirt/crud & lubricated. They should be clean and lubricated so the head assembly doesn't bind up when moving/seeking - I firmly believe this was the source of the grinding noise in my Panny player.
btw - is there a model number somewhere on the drive case in your LG player?

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #2260 of 2325 Old 09-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

@optyman-your magnet is missing, it sits inside that ring. Look on the piece on the top part that pulls the plate down, the magnet ring is probably attached to it.
post #2261 of 2325 Old 09-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

also I covered this fix months ago in this forum...
post #2262 of 2325 Old 09-23-2013, 07:21 AM

You are right. The magnet ring is attached to the top ring (that is free-floating on the inside top cover). I noticed that you could slide it around, but was not certain how it was mounted on the top cover and I did not want to pry it and break it off. Didn't realize it was a magnet. Now I know that it belongs to the bottom spindle. This probably explains why there is some of this gray material that appeared to have rubbed off. This must be the adhesive they used to adhere the magnet to the bottom spindle. It didn't last that long. When I return home I will try to figure out how it goes on that bottom spindle, but am not certain how to re-adhere it.

I did look for and did find other posts that related to grinding noises during play, specifically to the BD 690, but did not come across your post from months ago.
post #2263 of 2325 Old 09-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

post #1993
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #2264 of 2325 Old 09-29-2013, 07:52 PM

I own 5 BD670s, and I have not had any issues with any of them.

5x LG BD670, 2x LG BP730, 2x Hannspree ST289MUB, Vizio XVT3D474SV, XVT373SV, M3D460SR, M260MV, Samsung UN32F5500, 2x Panasonic DMR-EZ47V VHS/DVD-R w/ATSC tuner, Roku3, 2x iView 3500STBII, 3x Samsung GXSM530CF Cablecard Smartplayer
PM me if you have any questions on the above models I own
post #2265 of 2325 Old 12-02-2013, 07:08 PM

Liked: 11
I am able to push songs, pictures, and videos to my 670 with my android phone (Note 2) and my android tablet (Nexus 7), but none of my Windows PC's see the 670. My 670 is not one of the options in the "Play To" menu. Is there anything I can do to force the 670 to show up in the "Play To" menu in Windows 8.1? The reason I ask is because I am getting a Windows 8.1 tablet. My android tablet pushes even 1080P HD videos to my 670 without a hitch, but it will suck if my new Windows tablet can't do the same. My Windows PC's can push media to my Panasonic TV and to my WDTV Live SMP player.

I am able to use the 670 to play files on my computers, either by searching through the folders or by using the widows media servers, but it's more convenient to use a phone or tablet to push media files.
post #2266 of 2325 Old 12-03-2013, 09:56 PM

For DLNA (Movie) streaming does anyone know if when viewing "By Folder" we can sort by name? The problem I have is there is no sort order when viewing 'By Folder" like other DLNA devices that I have.

Thoughts?

JKru
post #2267 of 2325 Old 12-25-2013, 01:17 PM

Add me to the list of those with the grinding issue. For a Christmas present, my 670 decided to die part way through my holiday film festival with a loud grinding sound and disk error messages. eek.gif Unfortunately, it's long past its warranty. Maybe it's time I bought an Oppo anyway!
post #2268 of 2325 Old 12-25-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike457 View Post

Add me to the list of those with the grinding issue. For a Christmas present, my 670 decided to die part way through my holiday film festival with a loud grinding sound and disk error messages. eek.gif Unfortunately, it's long past its warranty. Maybe it's time I bought an Oppo anyway!

i started to have the same issues on my BD660. It wasnt reading burned single layer DVDs which was solved in the last days of warranty and now it started to spit out blu rays with disc error messages. i have found a description here that i thought might be helpful http://www.fixya.com/support/t13039729-lg_blue_ray_player_makes_loud_noise_says but it seems my issue is different as after disassembling the player i didnt find that piece of metal stuck onto the top as it is described there. but there must be a way to fix it somehow. i was searching for a service manual, but i could only find the spanish version and the pictures are of little help. but if anyone has any ideas i think it would be useful to post them here, as these players have still a plenty to offer even for 2014 (take cinavia as one thing for example)
post #2269 of 2325 Old 12-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

take some pictures of the disassembled drive and post please
post #2270 of 2325 Old 12-29-2013, 06:34 PM

I have a BD670 with the most recent firmware 8.97.423 H90378 (H09LGN) It used to remember my Windows login / username for weeks on end. Lately, though, pretty much every time I want to connect to my Windows share, I need to re-enter credentials. Any known fix for that?
post #2271 of 2325 Old 12-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

have an open network that doesn't require a login?
post #2272 of 2325 Old 01-14-2014, 03:23 PM

Try unplugging and re-plug the power cable and if necessary re-enter/reset the network settiings.
post #2273 of 2325 Old 01-27-2014, 12:36 PM

Does anyone know the max size hard drive you can utilize with the bd640? I also would like to know what type of formats it will take (ntfs, fat32, etc.) If this has been covered please link me. I skimmed through this without seeing it, but it's possible I missed it. Thanks!
post #2274 of 2325 Old 01-28-2014, 07:17 PM

I'm recording ota in the us via next-pvr on my htpc and would like to play the .ts files in the other room via my bd670 player. I can play the files fine but cannot fast forward or rewind.

That defeats the whole purpose of recording!

Why the developers would even include playback without some ability to ff/rw is beyond me!

Is there some way to ff/rw?
post #2275 of 2325 Old 01-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

you're recording into a TS format correct? Are you also creating chapters?
post #2276 of 2325 Old 01-30-2014, 04:59 PM

Yes, I am recording to .TS files from my Antenna and a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Dual to a Win 7 HTPC running NPVR.
I don't know if I'm creating chapters. I would assume not. Does that make a difference?

All I know is that I can play the file on windows 7 and 8 computers and my Nexus 7 tablet all of which allow me to FF and RW and jump around the program in some way.

I can't imagine why LG would even support playback if it can't FF/RW. If you stop in the middle of the file for whatever reason, there is NO way to FF back to that point if you had too??? WTF?

The LG BD670 is fine at playing DVDs and streams netflix OK. But I really want to FF/RW my recorded TV!
post #2277 of 2325 Old 01-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Whether ff/rw is possible will depend on the file container and possibly the codec and other encoding variables.

I recall having better luck with mpeg containers than .ts files but I no longer use my LG players.

When rew/ff does not work, you can usually select 'info/display' then navigate to the counter and skip in one minute increments.
post #2278 of 2325 Old 02-06-2014, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Guys, can someone here point me in the right direction? My BD660's disc tray keeps getting stuck just about half an inch away from going all the way in. It stops, and after like 5 secs comes all the way out again. On repeated attempts, it will eventually go completely in on its own, either via remote or using the display buttons, but even then it may not read a disc is in (showing "No Disc" on screen). I've been having to give a not-so-soft push by hand to get it unstuck and in place and play a disc, but would much appreciate any advice on getting it to work properly. Many thanks in advance... rolleyes.gif
post #2279 of 2325 Old 02-06-2014, 06:15 PM

I've just picked up a faulty LG BD660 from eBay. The problem is there is no signal outputting from the HDMI port. My Samsung TV shows on screen 'no input'. I tried the composite and that works fine. On one occasion the HDMI channel did pick up a signal but the image was distorted, flashed up on screen a few times and then TV said 'no signal'. I tried changing the resolution output but still nothing. I tried a different TV and the HDMI output was blank again.

I then tried connecting the bd660 to my Philips monitor via a HDMI to DVI cable. This showed white noise on the screen then flashes of the main screen from the blu ray player. So its as though there isn't a consistent signal. So I'm thinking is there something loose? Or its a motherboard problem? Or lastly a HDCP problem.

I've had a look around and found a LG spare parts seller. They have a PCB assembly for £15.99 but no image, so I don't know what it is.

All very confusing and lots of illuminating settings and connections. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks.
post #2280 of 2325 Old 02-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

well first off, buying something for parts on eBay doesn't guarantee that because for some magical reason, since you now own it, it will work without an issue. Secondly, sounds like a bad HDMI board on the unit.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd650 3d Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , Lg Bd690 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv And 250gb Hard Drive , Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , New Lg 3d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv 1080p Bd650 , Lg , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - Bd670 by PriceGrabber.com