Official LG BD690/670/650/6xx Series Thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2014, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The LG parts seller isn't off eBay. It's an official authorised parts seller. The URL was from the LG website and I've not purchased it.
'HDMI board' i'll look into it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
"I've just picked up a faulty LG BD660 from eBay", you bought it as is, buyer beware, but it does sound like an HDMI board issue
Old 02-07-2014, 03:48 PM

I think there has been a bit of confusion here. Yes I bought the blu ray player off eBay, it was advertised as faulty. So I was fully aware it was faulty before I purchased it.
I'm here to get help on what the fault could be. You say it sounds like a HDMI board issue. You're right, as it won't connect at 1080p but works at 720p. Then when you play a disc it stops when it starts outputting 1080. I'll get a new board and replace the faulty one. Thank you. :-)
Old 02-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

wait, if it is outputting at 720P, then its not the HDMI board, you wouldnt get any picture if the HDMI board is bad. Describe your setup(devices/model numbers)
SanchoPanza likes this.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Did you try to reset to factory specs?

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
Old 02-08-2014, 06:42 PM

Hi, firstly yes I did a factory reset and still same results.
My set up. Tv- Samsung LED 3D 37" ES6300. Blu ray player - LG BD660.
HDMI 1/DVI
HDMI 2.

I tried 2 HDMI cables I have. One I use for my ps3 and another one I have. The ps3 cable gave me a lot of flickering. The other worked fine. HDMI 2 port gave me white noise and flashing.

I used HDMI 1/DVI.

Tonight I had a good play with it and found out the problem. The blu ray player will not output at 1080p or my TV will not accept it (but I'm sure it does). All I get is a blank screen with a pop up saying 'no signal' or sometimes 'mode not supported'. Then if I use the remote blind to select 1080i the screen comes back on with the TV displaying '1920x1080 / 60i' in the top right corner. I played some files from the network and a few didn't work. The screen went black and the TV displayed '1920x1080 @60Hz'. I also played some blu ray discs. They displayed at '1920x1080 / 60i'. I played a Disney Blu ray 'Ratatouille ' as that said 1080p on the case. It flickered as it started but then carried on playing. Only 1 disc I have did not work. 'Underworld - Awakening' 3D. The logos came on the start but when it came to the menu the screen went black.

Another thing is if I select from the set up menu 'Auto' as the hdmi output resolution I get a black screen. 720p, 1080i work. It is only 1080p I get the problem. Which is why the person I bought it off said it was faulty.

So the main problem is if a disc or file pushes out 1080p the screen will just go black and lose the signal. Or sometimes say mode not supported. So confusing. All I know is something isn't right.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

try firmware upgrades on both the TV and player
Old 02-10-2014, 04:29 PM

Thank you.

I updated the tv today and updated the blu ray too. I even tried downgrading the blu ray. The problem was the same. I'm guessing its not a major problem as it still displays 1080i. But the one disc I want to play must be doing something as other 1080p discs play ok. I'll carry on playing around with it and I appreciate the help.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

what disc?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Repeat post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Guys, can someone here point me in the right direction? My BD660's disc tray keeps getting stuck just about half an inch away from going all the way in. It stops, and after like 5 secs comes all the way out again. On repeated attempts, it will eventually go completely in on its own, either via remote or using the display buttons, but even then it may not read a disc is in (showing "No Disc" on screen). I've been having to give a not-so-soft push by hand to get it unstuck and in place and play a disc, but would much appreciate any advice on getting it to work properly. Many thanks in advance... rolleyes.gif
Old 02-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Repeat post:

Hate to say it, by my advice is to move on and get a new player, probably best for it not to be an LG if you care for quality or longevity. :-(
RonAlam likes this.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Hate to say it, by my advice is to move on and get a new player, probably best for it not to be an LG if you care for quality or longevity. :-(

Thanks, Vampidemic. Pretty much thought as much already. Been considering a Panny or something for an upgrade...uh, no, LG BD players no more, thank you very much! Love my LG TV though wink.gif... Just wanted to be able to use the BD660 in another room or hand it over to a relative, know what I mean?
Old 02-13-2014, 07:46 PM

well add another 670 to the list, keeps shutting off in the middle of me streaming movies using MKV files. did factory reset and it seems to be working ok for now. decided i am not going too fight with it and bought a sony BDPS5100 tonight. friend is getting the LG to use till it dies
Old 02-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hclarkjr View Post

well add another 670 to the list, keeps shutting off in the middle of me streaming movies using MKV files. did factory reset and it seems to be working ok for now. decided i am not going too fight with it and bought a sony BDPS5100 tonight. friend is getting the LG to use till it dies

I've had the same issue with my parents' BD670 shutting off during networked MKV play. Now, it won't turn on at all. I still need to troubleshoot a bit, but I need a replacement that can at least do Netflix, Amazon Prime, and DLNA (for solid network 720p MKV streaming [mostly AVC + DTS]). HBO Go would be nice, but not a requirement. Curious how you like the Sony BDPS5100...can it do everything the LG could?

Old 02-14-2014, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV View Post

I've had the same issue with my parents' BD670 shutting off during networked MKV play. Now, it won't turn on at all. I still need to troubleshoot a bit, but I need a replacement that can at least do Netflix, Amazon Prime, and DLNA (for solid network 720p MKV streaming [mostly AVC + DTS]). HBO Go would be nice, but not a requirement. Curious how you like the Sony BDPS5100...can it do everything the LG could?

FWIW, I have Sony S590, previous year model to S5100. Sony does everything that you've mentioned (not sure about 720p MKV but it does do MKV via DLNA). Sony, however, doesn't play Divx unlike LG; and cannot connect directly to your PC like LG. Overall, Sony is quicker (including going through the UI) and doesn't freeze on me like LG is wont to do every now and then.

I got LG BD670 because it was better on paper than Sony. But I got fed up with LG's peccadilloes and ended up getting Sony anyway.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:59 PM

the sony blows away the 670, every movie that the 670 refused to play with unknown file error the sony played for me. it did stutter a few times during the movie but i was able to watch the whole movie. still testing the sony out too smile.gif
Old 02-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just ordered the Sony S5100 from Amazon for $80 and will run it through the paces...Netflix, Amazon Prime, DLNA 720p MKV, XviD (I realize DivX is a no-go, but that's ok), subtitles for everything, etc. and will report back with my experience vs. the dead BD670.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'm looking at picking up a used BD670 but there seems to be problems with these machines? I have a LG BH200 (circa 2007) and a Vizio TV with an LG plasma panel (circa 2007) and both are still going strong. The reason I'm looking for a new blu-ray player is to be able to play all my discs and my home made BD-R's. The BH200 took away the ability to play BD-R with the latest firmware (which is needed to play movies like Toy Story and Back to the Future). Honestly, I'm tired of flashing the firmware back and forth on the BH200.

Thoughts on dependability of the BD670?

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Old 02-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I'm looking at picking up a used BD670 but there seems to be problems with these machines? I have a LG BH200 (circa 2007) and a Vizio TV with an LG plasma panel (circa 2007) and both are still going strong. The reason I'm looking for a new blu-ray player is to be able to play all my discs and my home made BD-R's. The BH200 took away the ability to play BD-R with the latest firmware (which is needed to play movies like Toy Story and Back to the Future). Honestly, I'm tired of flashing the firmware back and forth on the BH200.

My bd670 drive started failing after about a year. Numerous others have reported the same in online reviews. After replacing with a Sony BDP- S590 I was so much happier that I bought a second one to replace my LG BD570 that was still working. I wouldn't use another 670 if it was given to me for free.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

My bd670 drive started failing after about a year. Numerous others have reported the same in online reviews. After replacing with a Sony BDP- S590 I was so much happier that I bought a second one to replace my LG BD570 that was still working. I wouldn't use another 670 if it was given to me for free.
i second that, i love my sony player a lot more than the 670. it is a lot more responsive and has more to offer.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hclarkjr View Post

i second that, i love my sony player a lot more than the 670. it is a lot more responsive and has more to offer.

Thanks for the feedback, I may just let this one sit at the pawn shop. They had it marked $70 and I was going to try to talk them down to about $50. I'm looking for a decent player without Cinavia protection. Of course, I have to buy used as all the new ones have this built-in frown.gif

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Old 02-17-2014, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback, I may just let this one sit at the pawn shop. They had it marked $70 and I was going to try to talk them down to about $50. I'm looking for a decent player without Cinavia protection. Of course, I have to buy used as all the new ones have this built-in frown.gif

Check into how Cinavia is implemented on any players you are looking by inquiring on the player thread for a particular model. I believe the Sony players only restrict disc copies. I don't use ripped content myself, but I have heard that streaming files are not restricted.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post

what disc?

3D blu ray - Underworld Awakening.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpateluk View Post

3D blu ray - Underworld Awakening.
stupid question, but what is the output on your player set to?
Old 02-23-2014, 03:57 PM
M4P

Quote:

I still have my BD670 and it runs great, plays everything I throw at it. I did have a BD570 that died on me and ended up with the BD670 as a warranty replacement. Well now that I've said how great my BD670 is, I better go knock on some wood tongue.gif

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
Old 03-30-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB View Post

It is very easy to do just disassemble and re-assemble. The OEM 250GB will be unusable unless you do some trickery, info can be found in the BD590 thread.

HI CBP, can you share the thread with the "trickery"?

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:24 PM
CPB

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrezinh0 View Post

HI CBP, can you share the thread with the "trickery"?

Thanks a lot.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1229543/official-lg-bd550-bd560-bd570-bd590-owners-thread/3810#post_19778873
andrezinh0 likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks, but that didn't work and I am actually trying to unlock an SSD that I had put inside the BD690 and used it for several months.
All I get when I issue those commands is Input/Output Error, and I tried that in more than one laptop, desktop, through eSATA or connected to the mother board. I am ready to throw the SSD disk away...mad.gif
Old 04-01-2014, 08:26 PM
CPB

Liked: 15
Oh wow, ok, maybe it has something to do with the SSD. The technique in the 590 thread requires you to pull the SATA cable while the drive is physically 'spinning' - not sure that state is even possible with an SSD since it's just memory. Just to be clear, you did pull the SATA cable after the drive had successfully been 'unlocked' by booting up in the BD player, and replace it with a SATA cable from a nearby computer running Linux, without powering it down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrezinh0 View Post

Thanks, but that didn't work and I am actually trying to unlock an SSD that I had put inside the BD690 and used it for several months.
All I get when I issue those commands is Input/Output Error, and I tried that in more than one laptop, desktop, through eSATA or connected to the mother board. I am ready to throw the SSD disk away...mad.gif
andrezinh0 likes this.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Just to be clear, you did pull the SATA cable after the drive had successfully been 'unlocked' by booting up in the BD player, and replace it with a SATA cable from a nearby computer running Linux, without powering it down?

No I haven't! Thanks! I should try this soon. But at this point I already bought a new 64Gb SSD.

Tags
Lg Bd650 3d Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , Lg Bd690 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv And 250gb Hard Drive , Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , New Lg 3d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv 1080p Bd650 , Lg , Blu Ray Players