Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolli View Post

Dead Mike,

Now that you are back to v211.E, I would be curious to know what happens if you try to upgrade firmware right from the BD670. Does it say that there is a firmware upgrade available or does it see v211.E and think that v211.E is the latest firmware??

Naturally, don't say "yes" to the upgrade if you want to stay with v211.E.

Thanks,

John

It tells me there is an upgrade. I have since "hidden" the upgrade so I no longer get the pop-up when turning the device on, but it still gives me the "press B to upgrade" sign on above the home screen's icons.

I'm not going to bother with this new firmware just yet since I had to install it 3 times before it worked, and once it did install, DivX TV didn't work. I'll probably try it again shortly, but definitely not today. Not in the mood to watch it try to install for 3 more hours. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2320 Old 03-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Liked: 10
Noticed there is a new update available today version .268.E anyone have any luck downloading it? I tried but as per usual I can't download directly to the player as it ends in "update failed" and a shutdown. It's not yet posted on the LG site so I was wondering if anyone had any luck and if it provided the promised new services (Amazon, etc).
post #213 of 2320 Old 03-30-2011, 04:45 PM

I have my LG BD670 blu-ray player hardware connected and installed the software that came with it, Nero MediaHome Essentials. It installed an ASP.NET account along with .NET 1.1.

Do I need an ASP.NET account for the LG blu-ray player?

I'm using a 2.4 GHz wireless connection and Windows 7.
post #214 of 2320 Old 03-30-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737
Noticed there is a new update available today version .268.E anyone have any luck downloading it? I tried but as per usual I can't download directly to the player as it ends in "update failed" and a shutdown. It's not yet posted on the LG site so I was wondering if anyone had any luck and if it provided the promised new services (Amazon, etc).
Your post was my notice! I successfully downloaded it from the 690, but see nothing new. No Amazon, nor anything else immediately apparent.
post #215 of 2320 Old 03-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

I really wish LG's websites would update the firmware listed on there as soon as they become available. I also wish they would go into a tad bit more detail about what each update does. Oh well.
post #216 of 2320 Old 03-30-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post

It tells me there is an upgrade. I have since "hidden" the upgrade so I no longer get the pop-up when turning the device on, but it still gives me the "press B to upgrade" sign on above the home screen's icons.

I'm not going to bother with this new firmware just yet since I had to install it 3 times before it worked, and once it did install, DivX TV didn't work. I'll probably try it again shortly, but definitely not today. Not in the mood to watch it try to install for 3 more hours. lol

Thanks for checking this out.

John
post #217 of 2320 Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:

I really wish LG's websites would update the firmware listed on there as soon as they become available. I also wish they would go into a tad bit more detail about what each update does. Oh well.

I just wish my player could actually download directly instead of having to transfer files from USB. I have never successfully downloaded a software/driver file directly to my player...each time it fails and then the player shuts down.
post #218 of 2320 Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post

I just wish my player could actually download directly instead of having to transfer files from USB. I have never successfully downloaded a software/driver file directly to my player...each time it fails and then the player shuts down.

When I was updating to the .245.E firmware, it froze twice, resulting in me having to hold the power down and shut it off both times. I then did a factory reset and used a wired connection (just in case - wireless worked fine on the firmware before that one, and on the 2010 model last last) and it worked. Not sure if it was the factory reset or the wired connection that helped. Probably the factory reset, since the freezing happened during installation and not during downloading.

Just in case, unplug your player and hold the power down for 5 seconds, then plug it back in and turn it on. This does a "hard reset" and resets some of the internal memory (such as the last menu position and other things). Once that's done, go to options and then Initialize (factory reset). That cleared up my installation problems. Maybe it will clear yours up.
post #219 of 2320 Old 03-30-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Just in case, unplug your player and hold the power down for 5 seconds, then plug it back in and turn it on. This does a "hard reset" and resets some of the internal memory (such as the last menu position and other things). Once that's done, go to options and then Initialize (factory reset). That cleared up my installation problems. Maybe it will clear yours up.

Thanks Mike. I will give that a shot...nothing else has worked on my end to get this player to download directly. I know the network connection is working because it sees the new software and the fact that I can use Vudu and stream music from my network server...but for whatever reason it just balks at downloading and installing firmware and/or drivers.

Edit: As an aside, I got this player as part of the BB freebie promo when buying the LW5600 series LED TV. Both units were returned to BB for replacements (on suggestion from LG CS) but both exhibited the exact symptoms of the initial units. The BD670 lack of download ability and the TV "forgets" who I am WRT the LG log in after power down even when selecting the option to remember. The bottom line is it looks like there is some immature software out there in the 2011 LG line up since I seriously doubt I had two sets of TV/BR players with EXACTLY the same hardware failures. I'm sure each of these issues (and more) will get ironed out over the coming months.
post #220 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 07:47 AM

I removed the ASP.NET account with no problems but I found that after installing Nero MediaHome that Nero Burning ROM no longer worked. MediaHome installed an older version of Visual C++ runtime which prompted a Windows security update, and after that Burning ROM gave me a side-by-side configuration error. I removed Visual C++ and installed the latest version which fixed the error.

More Qs:

1. After I installed Nero MediaHome my login screen always appears, despite having remove the ASP account and having only *one* account enabled, my own. There is no pw on my account so it should load right into Windows 7 like it did previous to the installation instead of pausing at the welcome with a an icon/picture for my account (it's the only icon that appears).

2. Is there any way the LG player can automatically login for YouTube, Pandora, etc. without having to always enter in a login name and pw? My login name for YT is rather long and it takes a while to enter.

3. What does the new firmware (BD.8.62.268.E) fix? I don't want to update unless I'm sure it doesn't "break" anything.
post #221 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 08:05 AM

Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaltby View Post

Your post was my notice! I successfully downloaded it from the 690, but see nothing new. No Amazon, nor anything else immediately apparent.

Ditto for me. I learned about the update on the phone this morning w/LG support. I had signed up for MLB.tv yesterday and activated the player but I was getting an error message trying to watch the games. So they tell me to run the update and try again. Naturally, I'm still getting the same error message after ("unavailable at this time" and points me to mlb.com/faq which has zero info under its LG section about it). Meanwhile MLB.tv on my computer works fine.

Beyond that I see no new premium content, no apparent change to Netflix (checked for subtitles on a couple titles I know have it -- nada), not even any new apps. So what exactly was updated?
post #222 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 10:11 AM

862268E just showed up, downloading now

It has been "updating" 6 minutes now. Not sure if it hung or what.... will monitor it - Installed after about 10 minutes

I think all this did was activate MLB.tv - It didn't work before I downloaded, it does now. I see no other changes.

Note today is the first day MLB should have worked, and now does. Yesterday was still spring training and those games were NOT available on LG devices, only online and on ipod / phone.
post #223 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 View Post

I removed the ASP.NET account with no problems but I found that after installing Nero MediaHome that Nero Burning ROM no longer worked. MediaHome installed an older version of Visual C++ runtime which prompted a Windows security update, and after that Burning ROM gave me a side-by-side configuration error. I removed Visual C++ and installed the latest version which fixed the error.

More Qs:

1. After I installed Nero MediaHome my login screen always appears, despite having remove the ASP account and having only *one* account enabled, my own. There is no pw on my account so it should load right into Windows 7 like it did previous to the installation instead of pausing at the welcome with a an icon/picture for my account (it's the only icon that appears).

2. Is there any way the LG player can automatically login for YouTube, Pandora, etc. without having to always enter in a login name and pw? My login name for YT is rather long and it takes a while to enter.

3. What does the new firmware (BD.8.62.268.E) fix? I don't want to update unless I'm sure it doesn't "break" anything.

Some questions for you. What operating system are you using (I ask because Nero can probably be avoided all together here)? You are saying that you have to log in every time you access the Premium content? That shouldn't be. It should remember your info by default. Please go into Settings, and then Initialize the player so that the memory issue can be fixed. That happened to me when I had the 2010 model, and Initializing the player fixed it right up.
post #224 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM

Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empirical View Post

862268E just showed up, downloading now

It has been "updating" 6 minutes now. Not sure if it hung or what.... will monitor it

I think all this did was activate MLB.tv - It didn't work before I downloaded, it does now.

It took a long time for me too. Actually the update failed the first time and then it took several minutes when it did work.

And I'm not sure if the update is what activated MLB.tv. I did some googling after my post this morning and read that pre-season games were never being offered via the LG players. Which would explain why it didn't work before today but is now. (It's working now for me too but if I go back to yesterday's games I still get the same error message I was getting before). And if allowing access for the regular season games is all that this update was about, that's pretty disappointing. Because there's no reason they couldn't have offered the spring training games like Samsung did with its players, and failing that there's certainly no reason they had to keep us in the dark about the fact that spring games weren't being provided (didn't say in the error message, LG customer support didn't know, and it's nowhere on MLB.tv's LG info either). So that doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me.

BTW, how's your picture quality on MLB.tv? I've watched a couple minutes each of the Yankees-Tigers and Braves-Nationals and I can't say I'm impressed so far.
post #225 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

It took a long time for me too. Actually the update failed the first time and then it took several minutes when it did work.

And I'm not sure if the update is what activated MLB.tv. I did some googling after my post this morning and read that pre-season games were never being offered via the LG players. Which would explain why it didn't work before today but is now. (It's working now for me too but if I go back to yesterday's games I still get the same error message I was getting before). And if allowing access for the regular season games is all that this update was about, that's pretty disappointing. Because there's no reason they couldn't have offered the spring training games like Samsung did with its players, and failing that there's certainly no reason they had to keep us in the dark about the fact that spring games weren't being provided (didn't say in the error message, LG customer support didn't know, and it's nowhere on MLB.tv's LG info either). So that doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me.

BTW, how's your picture quality on MLB.tv? I've watched a couple minutes each of the Yankees-Tigers and Braves-Nationals and I can't say I'm impressed so far.

The PQ is weak compared to the PC or the IPOD, the IPOD of course benefitting from a tiny screen.

I think it will be "good enough"
post #226 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 12:00 PM

Hi,I just phoned lg and they stated that the BDS90 with the 250 gb hard drive is discontinued.In retro respect I'm still thinking of purchasing the unit,though they stated beings that its discontinued,they no longer will answer any questions and to ask the store for information.Most people in the stores R SHARP LIKE SPOON and leave you paddling without a paddle,,,,With my understanding,the BD590 can load my home movies into the hard drive,Can I transfer my videos from the BD590 hard drive to a usb stick in a Dvix format..With this in mind ,could I possibly load the usb stick from the lg into my ps3 hard drive which in turn has a larger hard drive with an external hard drive too.Hope some one can answer this,,muchly appreciated
post #227 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 12:15 PM

Liked: 32
Wrong forum. Go to the BD590 forum.
post #228 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empirical View Post

The PQ is weak compared to the PC or the IPOD, the IPOD of course benefitting from a tiny screen.

I think it will be "good enough"

Was a gorgeous picture on my 570...when it worked. The 5xx series won't play more than 20 seconds before a can't connect to server error shows. MLB.TV is crazy in the forums there about pissed off people. Me being one of them.
post #229 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks Mike. I will give that a shot...nothing else has worked on my end to get this player to download directly. I know the network connection is working because it sees the new software and the fact that I can use Vudu and stream music from my network server...but for whatever reason it just balks at downloading and installing firmware and/or drivers.

No luck with this...still fails every attempt at downloading. Guess I will have to wait until LG posts it on the website. I guess my 670 is never going to be able to download directly...go figure!

Any idea why LG has the last two driver files posted on the website? H90356 and H90358 are both posted. I have loaded H90358 and skipped H90356 (mine came with H90301 I think)
post #230 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Some questions for you. What operating system are you using (I ask because Nero can probably be avoided all together here)? You are saying that you have to log in every time you access the Premium content? That shouldn't be. It should remember your info by default. Please go into Settings, and then Initialize the player so that the memory issue can be fixed. That happened to me when I had the 2010 model, and Initializing the player fixed it right up.

My first question refers to the behavior of my PC.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium with only the Admin acct enabled under my name. Before I installed MediaHome my PC would boot to the Windows desktop.

Now when it boots it displays the welcome screen with an icon for my account, requiring me to hit Enter before I get to the desktop (there is no pw assigned to the account). I'd rather my PC just boot to the desktop.

I think you answered my second question (thanks!) so I will initialize the player as you've mentioned to get the accounts (YT, Pandora, etc) on my LG BD670 saved. I haven't set up the premium content yet.
post #231 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No luck with this...still fails every attempt at downloading. Guess I will have to wait until LG posts it on the website. I guess my 670 is never going to be able to download directly...go figure!

Any idea why LG has the last two driver files posted on the website? H90356 and H90358 are both posted. I have loaded H90358 and skipped H90356 (mine came with H90301 I think)

Man, that's so weird. That must be really annoying! As for the driver updates... They often do that. There were some times with the 2010 models where they had 2 different driver updates and 3 different firmware updates all on the same page. I kind of prefer this, in the event that one update gives you a problem, you can go back to an older one. The most stable update for the 2010 models is still the .211.C update.
post #232 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Man, that's so weird. That must be really annoying! As for the driver updates... They often do that. There were some times with the 2010 models where they had 2 different driver updates and 3 different firmware updates all on the same page. I kind of prefer this, in the event that one update gives you a problem, you can go back to an older one. The most stable update for the 2010 models is still the .211.C update.

My next attempt will be to try the H90356 driver...maybe I will have better luck.
post #233 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My first question refers to the behavior of my PC.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium with only the Admin acct enabled under my name. Before I installed MediaHome my PC would boot to the Windows desktop.

Now when it boots it displays the welcome screen with an icon for my account, requiring me to hit Enter before I get to the desktop (there is no pw assigned to the account). I'd rather my PC just boot to the desktop.

I think you answered my second question (thanks!) so I will initialize the player as you've mentioned to get the accounts (YT, Pandora, etc) on my LG BD670 saved. I haven't set up the premium content yet.

Windows 7? Good. If you want to completely bypass Nero, and not require any other files to be installed, I recommend using the Homegroup method. When your LG is turned on and connected to the internet, go into Homegroup (on your PC), click View Homegroup Settings, then click "Choose media streaming options..." Click on ALL NETWORKS and you should see an "Unknown device" that is BLOCKED. Switch it to ALLOWED and you should be able to now stream everything using the WMP12 server built in to Windows 7.

Of course, you could try streaming the other way (using the log on), but this is a fairly simple method that requires no passwords or additional software to use.

As for your issue with the PC (where Windows is basically making you "log in"):

There are a few ways to fix this but I do this: Go into the Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management. Expand "Local Users and Groups", highlight "Users" and you should see your account in the right pane. Right click on your account and set a password.

Follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, and type "control userpasswords2" without quotes.

2. Highlight your account and un-check the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer".

3. Click Apply.

4. Enter the password, then click OK.

5. Click OK again and you're all done.

Let me know how all of this goes for you.
post #234 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Wrong forum. Go to the BD590 forum.

LOL. You mean the, "I bought a better player with more useful features" forum?
post #235 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

LOL. You mean the, "I bought a better player with more useful features" forum?

Seriously? I don't know anything about the 6xx models beyond they are 3d capable and more/different apps? You 6xx owners really like the 5xx models better?
post #236 of 2320 Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Seriously? I don't know anything about the 6xx models beyond they are 3d capable and more/different apps? You 6xx owners really like the 5xx models better?

Maybe he was April Fools'ing you.
post #237 of 2320 Old 04-01-2011, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
[quote=Splicer010;20239961]Seriously? I don't know anything about the 6xx models beyond they are 3d capable and more/different apps? You 6xx owners really like the 5xx models better?[/QUOTE
Well, aside from 3D, does the new 6xx series offer a better picture quality or sound quality for that matter? And no 250 GB hard drive ( I have stored over 500 lossless CD's so far)
post #238 of 2320 Old 04-01-2011, 11:11 AM

Hi everyone, I own an lgb570 and I am curious about the new models. So it sounds like that there are basically no new internet apps of any interest now but that they say there are going to start adding better ones in the near future?

Is streaming or usb playback improved or changed in any way?

Also, on my 570 there is sometimes an issue with the framerate on the playback of certain avi files. Is this still an isse on the 6xx series?

Also the 5xx series seems to have an issue with 24hz, does this happen on the 6xx series as well?

Thanks!
post #239 of 2320 Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:

If you want to completely bypass Nero, and not require any other files to be installed, I recommend using the Homegroup method. When your LG is turned on and connected to the internet, go into Homegroup (on your PC), click View Homegroup Settings, then click "Choose media streaming options..." Click on ALL NETWORKS and you should see an "Unknown device" that is BLOCKED. Switch it to ALLOWED and you should be able to now stream everything using the WMP12 server built in to Windows 7.

When you say " when your LG is turned on and connected to the internet" do you mean a wired connection? I'm using a wireless connection for the LG and it doesn't show up under ALL NETWORKS. The only two that show up are the following (see below). Both have an Allowed status. No "unknown device" appears. Network Discovery is enabled and the WMP Network Sharing Service is started/running. Under the WMP Stream menu I have the "Automatically allow devices to play my media..." option checked.

- Media Programs on this PC and remote connections...
- Johns-PC
post #240 of 2320 Old 04-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When you say " when your LG is turned on and connected to the internet" do you mean a wired connection? I'm using a wireless connection for the LG and it doesn't show up under ALL NETWORKS. The only two that show up are the following (see below). Both have an Allowed status. No "unknown device" appears. Network Discovery is enabled and the WMP Network Sharing Service is started/running. Under the WMP Stream menu I have the "Automatically allow devices to play my media..." option checked.

- Media Programs on this PC and remote connections...
- Johns-PC

Yeah, it should show up when connected with WiFi. Both Wired and Wireless connection will have different MAC addresses, and both should show up separately when you check ALL NETWORKS, each being a different "UNKNOWN DEVICE."

Under ALL NETWORKS for me, I have "Media Programs on this PC and remote connections," two separate ones for my PC (one is my PC's MAC and the other is for my Bluetooth), both LG MAC addresses (Wired and Wireless), and my Xbox 360. If your LG is connected with WiFi, the WiFi MAC should definitely show up... You having "Automatically allow devices to play my media..." should make sure that it works, too.

There's really no reason the LG shouldn't show up under ALL NETWORKS. Any device that connects to my network shows up there. I know various others who have no problem with this method, too. Very strange. Those two connections you mentioned should be the only thing shown under LOCAL NETWORK, but ALL NETWORK should definitely show you every device that has connected to your PC.

Did my information about the PC help your computer log in to your account automatically?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd650 3d Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , Lg Bd690 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv And 250gb Hard Drive , Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , New Lg 3d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv 1080p Bd650 , Lg , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page