Official LG BD690/670/650/6xx Series Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2323 Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The 2011 line of LG BluRay players has finally started selling at several online retailers today. Rather than posting about these new models in the BD5xx official thread, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread dedicated to the BD6xx series of 2011 BluRay players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2323 Old 02-24-2011, 10:47 PM

Liked: 10
I'd love to hear from anyone who's upgraded the hard drive on this player, and about MKV playback, especially in relation to the LG BD590.
post #3 of 2323 Old 02-25-2011, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

I have noticed that several sites (Amazon and NewEgg) have incorrectly advertised the new LG BD650 bluray player as having "built in Wifi". If you read the manual for the BD650 on LG's web site, it doesn't have built in Wifi. You have to buy a USB adapter ($50 ?) to add Wifi capability to the BD650. LG's own web site seems to have this wrong for the 650 on certain web pages. P.S. Apparently LG has recently taken down the errant web pages, although the manuals for the 6xx series can still be found in the support area of the LG site.
post #4 of 2323 Old 02-25-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It's kinda strange why they took those down. These players seem like they are out in the wild now, as I look at places like Beach Camera and Newegg who "say" they have them in stock(plus someone said they ordered one from somewhere and it shipped).
post #5 of 2323 Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 AM

I'm interested in hearing about the Netcast apps on these players. Originally they were supposed to have Plex built functionality (they call it Media Link I think?) but from what I've read it got axed from the bluray players. Would like if someone can confirm this
post #6 of 2323 Old 02-25-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpo View Post

I'm interested in hearing about the Netcast apps on these players. Originally they were supposed to have Plex built functionality (they call it Media Link I think?) but from what I've read it got axed from the bluray players. Would like if someone can confirm this

TV's only

link
post #7 of 2323 Old 02-25-2011, 01:18 PM

plexapp.com shows the smart tv upgrader also. I wish LG would clarify once and for all
post #8 of 2323 Old 02-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

These players seem like they are out in the wild now, as I look at places like Beach Camera and Newegg who "say" they have them in stock(plus someone said they ordered one from somewhere and it shipped).

I purchased a BD670 at a local retailer last night, so I can confirm that this model of player is "in the wild". They are just hitting shelves though, my retailer didn't even have a display model on the showroom floor yet (I called them specifically and asked for it, then they pulled it out of the back room...)

I have not had a chance to plug mine in yet to offer any functional details, though I did open the box and look at the remote.

The remote included with the BD670 has an identical button layout to that included with the BD570 (still no dedicated 'Audio' or 'Subtitle' buttons, for example). However, there are some subtle improvements to the design. The remote now features separate rubber left/right/up/down buttons instead of the single wrap-around plastic button that was used in last year's model. More importantly, there is a bit of space below the down arrow and the button below it. I also own a BD570 and find it annoying to click the down arrow and accidentally press the button below it as well.... that problem appears to be solved. They also used a matte finish on the black plastic instead of glossy, which in my opinion looks a bit nicer. I'll post more once I have a chance to actually hook up the player and take it for a spin...
post #9 of 2323 Old 02-25-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

I purchased a BD670 at a local retailer last night, so I can confirm that this model of player is "in the wild". They are just hitting shelves though, my retailer didn't even have a display model on the showroom floor yet (I called them specifically and asked for it, then they pulled it out of the back room...)

I have not had a chance to plug mine in yet to offer any functional details, though I did open the box and look at the remote.

The remote included with the BD670 has an identical button layout to that included with the BD570 (still no dedicated 'Audio' or 'Subtitle' buttons, for example). However, there are some subtle improvements to the design. The remote now features separate rubber left/right/up/down buttons instead of the single wrap-around plastic button that was used in last year's model. More importantly, there is a bit of space below the down arrow and the button below it. I also own a BD570 and find it annoying to click the down arrow and accidentally press the button below it as well.... that problem appears to be solved. They also used a matte finish on the black plastic instead of glossy, which in my opinion looks a bit nicer. I'll post more once I have a chance to actually hook up the player and take it for a spin...

I would be interested to know if it came with any TV Apps already installed (I don't mean Vudu, Netflix, MLB, etc.). I'm referring to the type of Apps you would download (Free or Paid) from the LG TV Apps web site. From what I can find out on the web, the LG TV Apps web site is not up yet in the US. Also, does it have DivxTV like the 2010 models had?? How about a web browser, I've read some conflicting info on whether it would have a web browser.
post #10 of 2323 Old 02-26-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Any thoughts yet Vampidemic?

I'm curious if these are at the big box retailers yet like Best Buy. I don't see it on their website, but they tend to be about a week behind on what they have in store vs when it makes the website.

I'm very curious about the online apps.
post #11 of 2323 Old 02-26-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Noticed tons of BD players were on 'clearance' at Best Buy. But didn't spot these new LGs.
post #12 of 2323 Old 02-26-2011, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

I just hit two Best Buy stores, HH Gregg, Electronics Expo and PC Richards. Not one of them had any stock and the sales kids had never heard of the BD670 (typical!). The Electronics Expo guy said he showed it "in his warehouse" and could have it buy Wednesday. I will just order it online and save the sales tax if I have to wait that long. Best Buy has almost no stock of LG BluRay players, 2 or 3 550's, one 590 and some BX580's. I hope they are not dropping the LG players at Best Buy.
post #13 of 2323 Old 02-26-2011, 02:41 PM

Electronics Expo has it on Amazon for $312.73 + $12.99 shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/LG-BD690-Wirel...dp/B004OF9XMI/
post #14 of 2323 Old 02-26-2011, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolli View Post

I just hit two Best Buy stores, HH Gregg, Electronics Expo and PC Richards. Not one of them had any stock and the sales kids had never heard of the BD670 (typical!). The Electronics Expo guy said he showed it "in his warehouse" and could have it buy Wednesday. I will just order it online and save the sales tax if I have to wait that long. Best Buy has almost no stock of LG BluRay players, 2 or 3 550's, one 590 and some BX580's. I hope they are not dropping the LG players at Best Buy.

While we were out tonight, I stopped by my local Best Buy and they were 100% wiped out of LG BD players. The display units were there but the shelves below them were empty. I suspect they will have the new models this week.
post #15 of 2323 Old 02-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Okay, I spent some time last night exploring my new BD670, with most of my exploration focused on the streaming features both local and external. I put the Avatar Blu-Ray in and watched the first few minutes and played a couple of DVDs, but have not watched any full length Blu-Ray presentation at this point.

Any information that I provide below pertains to the US model -- I'm sure that the streaming and app store configurations vary significantly by region. Also note that my televisions are both 60 Hz sets, so I cannot vouch to whether or not the 24 Hz issues with last year's models have been alleviated. Also, I am using a Wi-Fi connection for all of the streaming functions.

THE PHYSICAL UNIT
Form factor wise, I think the BD670 is about the same size as the BD570 with a relatively small footprint for a full width unit and not particularly heavy. The back side of the device features the standard connections that most any Blu-Ray player will have today (HDMI, Component video RCA jacks, Composite Video RCA jacks, stereo analog RCA audio outputs, optical audio output) without any extras (like 7.1 analog outputs). Like the BD570, there is a USB connection on the front, but not on the rear. The tinted plastic hinged door covering the entire front of the BD570 has been abandoned which gives the BD670 a more utilitarian look, but makes the front of the player a little easier to use. The USB jack has an attached plastic cover which needs to be removed to attach a flash drive or other storage device, it's connected to the player via a loop though to prevent it from getting lost. The buttons on the front of the player feel a lot firmer than those on my BD570 (which function fine but feel a bit cheap and unstable, at least on my 570).

NAVIGATION MENU CHANGES
One of the first things I noticed when powering up the player is that the navigation on the player has changed for the better. The new menus are much easier on the eyes and tasteful than last year's models (IMHO). Gone are the silly animated bouncing menu items and underwater theme, the icons are more colorful and just look more professional.

The layout of the home menu has also changed. The new menu has the following options:

-Movie
-Photo
-Music
-Premium
-LG Apps
-Settings

Gone is the "Home Link" icon. That functionality has been rolled into the "Movie" menu item, which now allows access to media files on the network as well as optical media and USB drive's physically attached to the player.

The "Premium" icon replaces the "Netcast" icon on last year's models and provides access to the baked in streaming services, which are as follows:

-Netflix
-Vudu
-Napster
-VTuner
-YouTube
-Picasa
-CinemaNow
-MLBTV
-Pandora
-Accedo
-Accuweather
-Viewster

I think the only new additions from last year's model are VTuner, Accedo and Viewster so I will discuss those first. VTuner is an Internet radio application. It seems to include localization (perhaps by IP address?) because it instantly showed me a number of different streams from local radio stations in my city. There are also some international programming options including several different BBC radio feeds. Accedo looks to be some sort of game service, likely aimed at very young children. I spent very little time with it, so I can't say more than that. Viewster looks to be a streaming outlet for independent films and television programs. They offer a monthly subscription option as well as pay per view options. It looks like their content is pretty limited at this point -- I didn't see anything that was at all familiar to me. Their Web site suggests the service is in beta.

I also explored DIVXTV and Vudu. The UI for each of those channels appears to be identical to that used on the previous generation of LG players.

In it's current state, there is no option for the Amazon streaming service, which was a disappointment for me because I am already an Amazon Prime member and somewhere I read that this player would have that. There is not an Amazon logo on the box of the player either Hopefully that service will get added in the future (anyone heard anything about that?) In addition to the services listed above, there is a "Coming Soon" icon. When selecting that, an incredibly informative dialog box that says "Coming Soon" with a 'close' button pops up. Thanks LG! I guess we'll have to wait and see, but at least this implies there is more to come.

The general UI for the "Premium" section of the device has also been improved over last years "NetCast." The channels are now displayed in two rows, which makes it easier to navigate to the service you want to use quickly. This screen also has as "Search" icon at the bottom, which seems to imply some sort of global searching function, but there is not functionality behind it at this point (selecting the Search option now brings up a "Coming Soon" dialog...) The lower row with the Search icon also contains a "TV Apps" icon and a "My Apps" icon which integrate with the LG App Store and apps that have been installed from the store respectively.

LG APPS
The LG APPS option from the main menu opens the LG App Store on the player. At this point there are not many apps on the store. The App store UI is designed to look like a bookshelf, with three rows with "Hot," "New," and "Top Paid" shelves. However, all of the "Top Paid" shelves are empty. Along the top there are category buttons with "All," "Game," "Entertainment," "Life," "Education," "News, Info" options.

The Games, like the new "Accedo" channel look to be aimed at young children. There are a handful of different games to choose from (5-7 maybe?) Outside the games there are only four apps available at the time of writing:

-Revision3 (Entertainment category)
-Boing Boing Video (Entertainment category)
-Mars Hill Church (Life category)
-White House (News, Info category)

I installed Revision3, Boing Boing and White House. To install any apps from the app store you must register for an account. You can register directly through the player using the remote for "free" apps. The instructions say that you must visit LGTVAPP.COM in order to download paid apps. However, that URL currently redirects to what appears to be a Korean language version of the site and at this point no Paid apps are listed on the App store through the device, so I registered via the device. To set up the account, you only need to enter a user name and type a password twice (no name or email address, etc.) This process went fairly smooth, except that they require a password which has both letters and numbers without explicitly stating so (I got a generic error about my password when I tried to use one without numbers).

Of the three apps, I couldn't get any of them to work under the out of box configuration (without firmware update). Only Revision 3 would give me a list of content, but attempts to play media failed, the others just gave me empty lists. After upgrading the firmware, I have been able to get all three to play content, but results are inconsistent. Each of the apps, seemed buggy (or perhaps an issue with the app that runs the channel plugins since they all seem to have similar issues). I have been frequently getting a "406" error which says something like "PlugIn Suspended" when attempting to browse content directories and/or open apps. Subsequent attempts down the same navigation path have been successful, but it seems to come and go. There also seem to be some buffering issues playing back the content from the installed apps. Each time I play a video I get the first 10 seconds or so, then it chokes for a few seconds, then resumes playing the rest of the media and seems to be okay from there.

Once the glitches get worked out, I will probably use the Revision3 app regularly. The UI is simplified relative to the DIVX TV version. The program names are in a text menu, so they can be browsed through more quickly than the images on the DIVX TV channel.

Boing Boing seems to carry content with an indie news/politics spin on it. For example, one of the top listings was a story about WikiLeaks. (They also have a Web site where you can learn more.)

So that's about it for the App Store. Content is king, and there's very little new content here that's not duplicated from DIVX TV at this point, pretty underwhelming. One last observation about the app store I will add is that the "My Apps" screen shows an indicator for used storage space. It will tell you how much storage your apps are using out of 450 MB. The Apps I looked at were each a couple megabytes in size, so it looks like there should be plenty of room to have a good selection of channels installed once there are more offerings.

LOCAL STREAMING
The local streaming options seem to be mostly the same as the previous generation of players (with most current firmware). Here are some examples of files I tested and the results.

These files all played fine for me:
-MKV file: 720P, 3297 Kpbs 23.976 fps, AVC video, 384 Kbps 6 channel AC-3 audio
-AVI file: 624x352, 1017 Kbps 23.97 fps, MPEG-4 (XviD) video, 120 Kpbs 2 channel MP3 audio
-MPG file: 720x480, 4782 Kbps 29.97 fps ,MPEG-2 video, 256 Kbps 2 channel AC-3 audio
-M4A file: 256 Kbps 2 Channel AAC audio

These files gave me difficulty (video would stop to buffer, audio drop outs, etc.)
-TS file: 1080i, 11.3 Mbps 29.97 fps, MPEG-2 Video, 384 Kbps 6 channel AC-3 audio
-TS file: 720P, 12.3 Mbps 50 fps, AVC 50 fps Video, 448 Kbps 2 Channel AC-3 audio

Playback of these files was rejected by the player:
- .VOB files in VIDEO_TS folder structure (720x480, MPEG-2, AC-3 2 Channel audio)
- .M2TS files: 8744 Kpbs 1920x1080 AVC (High@L4.1), 23.976 fps, 640 Kpbs 48.0 Khz 6 Channel AC-3 audio

In all cases, these results were pretty much the same experience I have had with my BD570, with the exception of the .M2TS files. These files were from a collection of DTS, THX and Dolby Trailers that I downloaded. My BD570 will play those files just fine (though it will not play the versions with lossless audio). The BD670 rejects these files with a "Video resolution unsupported" error. I don't have a BD-ROM drive for my computer and I don't have much interest in ripping Blu-Ray discs to play them from a network or hard drive connected to the machine, but this might be a warning for those who do. The error I'm getting with these files makes it sounds like they're blocking 1080P versions of AVC codec files (perhaps out of copyright infringement concerns, much like the players will not play .VOB files), at least when using the .M2TS wrapper.

Also, just like with my BD570 some file formats prohibit the use of the FF and REW transport controls when streaming. I noticed this specifically when playing MPG/MPEG and TS files. I was able to use the FF/REW controls when streaming .AVI (XVid mp4) files that I tested, and of course when physical media was in the player.

I think the playback troubles with the high bitrate files were likely due to my use of a WiFi connection, though it seemed like the player could have handled the bandwidth issues more gracefully. For what it's worth, the Vudu speed test said my player supported the highest resolution "HDX" format (up to 9 Mbps) and played back the 2 minute preview of "Salt" flawlessly.)

PAL DVD SUPPORT

As with my BD570, I am able to successfully play PAL format region free DVDs (720x576, 25 FPS MPEG-2) through my 60Hz Samsung 40" television. This is a nice feature that none of my previous Samsung or Panasonic players have supported. My assumption is that it will not play DVDs other than Region 1 or Region Free, but I don't have any discs from other regions to test that out.

WI-FI SUPPORT

Someone on this forum inquired about support for 5 GHz Wi-Fi. I did notice that the name of my Wi-Fi network was listed as two separate connection options when I set up the connection on the player. I have an Apple Airport Extreme basestation (current generation, dual band). It's possible that it's allowing me to connect to either the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands of my router, but if so, there was nothing to tell me which one was which. I didn't see any performance differences based on which of the two connections I chose.

There is also a "Wi-Fi Direct" setting in the Settings menu. Supposedly, this allows you to connect directly to other Wi-Fi devices without a router? Not sure exactly how this works or what it can be used for.

COMPANION MOBILE APPS

One of the features touted in the CES blurbs about this player was the ability to use an iPhone/Android remote app to control the player and enter text. The US version of the Apple App store does not have any new apps advertised to work with this series of players at this time. The existing LG remote app for iPhone designed for last year's BD550/570/590 players will also control this player over a Wi-Fi connection. However, this app does not have the text entry functionality that was talked about in articles related to the CES rollout. As with my BD570, I don't expect to be using this app much until it's upgraded. It basically mimics the physical remote that comes with the player, but the controls are spread across more than one panel, so it's less convenient to use. The one feature in this app that my remote cannot do (display movie metadata) seems to be broken (I've tried many discs and none of them have worked even though the player itself is able to get Gracenote data on screen). Anyway, it would be great if we can eventually use iOS/Android keyboards to do text searches on YouTube and other streaming services as advertised, but that doesn't seem to be available now. The fact that the old app is compatible with the new player is promising though -- hopefully the new app will also work with last year's models.

BOTTOM LINE

If you have a 3D set, the capability to play 3D Blu-Rays is the main upgrade feature from the previous generation that you can actually use today. I don't have much interest in 3D, nor do I have a compatible set, so I can't speak to that functionality. Beyond the inclusion of 3D support, you're basically getting a nicer UI and the promise of the LG App Store offering additional entertainment options in the future.

I usually try not to be an earlier adopter, but the Blu-Ray player for one of my sets from another manufacturer suddenly stopped recognizing discs so I had an immediate need. I mainly bought the player so that I can play discs from my Blu-Ray collection. However, I also love the ability that LG players offer to interface with a variety of file formats either over the Wi-Fi network or on USB. Just the fact that it will play PAL discs is huge for me because I've come across quite of music DVDs recorded off of European television over the years.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the purchase at this point (barely 48 hours after acquiring the player). Granted, I haven't done much as far as actually playing Blu Rays (which will be the most significant use here). I was hoping for more in the way of enhancements to the streaming services, but I think overall the variety of streaming and flexibility in media options make this player one of the best players in its class, though others may disagree depending on their preferred streaming outlets. Specifically, there is no support for Amazon, Hulu Plus or Blockbuster streaming services at this time, but I don't think any of the player manufacturers offer *everything* at this point. More importantly, at the end of the day I wanted a player that will play full 1080P Blu Ray discs with lossless surround sound and the ability to play other media that I've collected over the years and this player seems to fit the bill.
post #16 of 2323 Old 02-27-2011, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks Vampidemic for the comprehensive review! I didn't see any mention of a web browser, so I'm guessing that it either will not have that capabiltiy or it may be added later through a downloadable App. I'm kind of surprised that LG was not able to coordinate the US roll-out of their App store with the release of the TV App capable BluRay players. The whole SmartTV thing hinges on the availablity of useful Apps and they seem to have completely dropped the ball with this. The re-direct to the Korean site, with unreadable Korean text all over it, is kind of a let down.

Just curious, where did you make your purchase? I have made the rounds to all of the local brick and mortar retailers and can't find a trace of the 2011 players anywhere.

P.S. There is a section in the BD670 manual that confirms that it does have dual band Wifi capability. I can also confirm that I experienced the same issue with the LG Remote App on my iPod Touch when controlling my BD570 (which I returned to wait for the 670). It was never able to display the movie information as described in the App's write-up on the Apple iTunes site. I was also disappointed that the App didn't flip to a keyboard when it was necessary to enter text on-screen.
post #17 of 2323 Old 02-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolli View Post

Wow, thanks Vampidemic for the comprehensive review! I didn't see any mention of a web browser, so I'm guessing that it either will not have that capabiltiy or it may be added later through a downloadable App. I'm kind of surprised that LG was not able to coordinate the US roll-out of their App store with the release of the TV App capable BluRay players. The whole SmartTV thing hinges on the availablity of useful Apps and they seem to have completely dropped the ball with this. The re-direct to the Korean site, with unreadable Korean text all over it, is kind of a let down.

Just curious, where did you make your purchase? I have made the rounds to all of the local brick and mortar retailers and can't find a trace of the 2011 players anywhere.

No sign of a Web browser and I would be very surprised if something that major was added later. I would expect a Web browser to be deeply integrated into the OS and I would have thought that would have been something LG would have been highlighting at CES more than the iPhone/Android app.

I agree that it's awkward that they started shipping the product before putting up the US App store, but I think it's early, especially because none of the major national chains have the units yet. Hopefully they are working hard to launch the US app store and iron out some of the rough edges before they start pushing them out through retailers like BestBuy, Amazon and Fry's in large numbers.

To answer your question, I purchased my unit through Video Only (a brick and mortar chain with stores in Washington, Oregon and California).
post #18 of 2323 Old 02-27-2011, 03:38 PM

Liked: 11
Vampidemic,

Thanks for the really comprehensive review of your new BD670 player. You really covered a lot of topics and your comparisons to your older BD570 player were quite useful to me. Do you plan to connect your player to an external storage disk and do any archiving of video or CD audio material? If so, I look forward to your comments on that functionality.
post #19 of 2323 Old 02-27-2011, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Vampidemic,

Can you email me the price from video only thanks.

post #20 of 2323 Old 02-28-2011, 02:03 AM

Liked: 14
So you don't have a Netflix account Vamp? Would like to know if a search function has finally be implemented and if scrolling though the selections is any faster. I mean really, my frickin Wii has a sweet Neflix interface, search and all, not to mention its fast!, just not in HD...

Overall, unless that App Store really becomes incredible, I see know reason to update, unless you need 3D.
post #21 of 2323 Old 02-28-2011, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

It appears that the US "LG Apps TV" site will be opening on March 3rd. The text below is from a post this morning on the LG Apps Developer lounge. I am guessing that the big box stores will have the 2011 BluRay players on the shelf at approximately the same time.

Welcome to LG Apps TV Developer Lounge!

Please kindly note that "Developer Lounge" will be closed with the following schedule to check up the system for service stabilization as nearing to the grand opening of the LG Apps TV in the U.S., scheduled on Mar. 3rd:

1: When: 17:00-18:00 GMT on Feb. 28t
02:00 ~ 03:00 on Mar. 1st (Seoul Time)

2. What: Server Stabilization (Check Firmware, Change QA/STG DB Archive mode & Oracle patch)

3: Where: LG Apps TV(PC), Seller Lounge & Developer Lounge in both Korea & the U.S.

Apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you always for your great interest and participation.
post #22 of 2323 Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewulf... View Post

So you don't have a Netflix account Vamp? Would like to know if a search function has finally be implemented and if scrolling though the selections is any faster. I mean really, my frickin Wii has a sweet Neflix interface, search and all, not to mention its fast!, just not in HD...

Overall, unless that App Store really becomes incredible, I see know reason to update, unless you need 3D.

No, sorry no Netflix account here. I took a quick look at the pre-login Netflix screens though after reading your post and there are some noticeable cosmetic changes to the buttons and fonts they are using prior to login. The other "Premium" offerings I have looked at (DIVX, YouTube, Vudu) seem to be the same implementations as on last year's model, but from what little I've seen of Netflix, they definitely made some changes of some sort. I'm sure someone will report once these players get larger distribution.

By the way, after writing my review, I noticed that CNET's review of the new LG players states that the "Smart TV" equipped players (BD650/670/690) add Hulu Plus and Amazon support. Hopefully, there is a firmware update forthcoming soon or those services will be included as part of the App store launch.
post #23 of 2323 Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 PM

Just plugged in the 670 today. Vampidemic wrote such a comprehensive review so I don't have much to add.

I have a Pioneer plasma and there are no problems watching blu rays, mkv, avi files on 24 fps. I do have amazon prime and was looking forward to Amazon VOD, but was disappointed that it wasn't available yet.

Boot up time for some random blu rays from the moment you put the blu ray in to the main screen title:
Expendables 1 min 20 sec

DVD up-conversion seems standard.

Browsing files off the computers were easy. Very intuitive navigation... don't know if this is different from the 570.
post #24 of 2323 Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 AM

I just bought the lg 55` LX9500 3d led and been back and forth debating on the lg bd690 or the bx580 for my 3d bluray player.

any input i would like opinions as compared to actual player harddrive is not a big issue just a plus for me but 3d and 2d playback and sound are my concerns are to which is better?

does the bd690 have 2 hdmi inputs or no? havent seen any specs saying so really.
post #25 of 2323 Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 AM

Can anybody check the Gracenote Video ID function on these new players?
I have the 590 & love streaming MKV movies but always wanted a better UI with cover art being displayed on the main video page.
post #26 of 2323 Old 03-02-2011, 12:24 PM

www.buydig.com is now advertising the BD690 player for $315, with free shipping. As of today, the site also indicates that they have BD690s in stock for immediate shipping. Maybe these 2011 models are finally available in the USA...

Meanwhile, the www.lg.com manufacturer's site in the US only shows the 5xx series players if you search for LG blu-ray players. By searching around a bit on the lg.com site you can find and download a copy of the BD690 users manual. It appears to be a final product and is not shown as a draft manual.

For LG55's question, the BD690 manual only shows a single HDMI output for this unit. The manual also shows RCA jack outputs for 2 channel audio, and 3 component video outputs, along with a single RJ45 ethernet jack, and digital audio outputs via an optical jack and a "coaxial" jack.
post #27 of 2323 Old 03-03-2011, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

The LG US TV Apps Store is open. The pickings are pretty slim. Hopefully the App selections will grow quickly.

http://us.lgtvapp.com/appspc/main/main/main.lge
post #28 of 2323 Old 03-03-2011, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, that is pretty slim picking. I would have expected LG themselves to have a bunch of apps ready to go as a "starter" set for people to choose from. I wonder where Amazon VOD and Hulu+ are?

I'm sure it will grow as time goes by tho.
post #29 of 2323 Old 03-03-2011, 10:40 AM

I too have the 55lx9500, and received my 650 last night...
MKV's previously unplayable on the 55, work fine on the 650...
Worked fine with shipped original ver 6.1.158 firmare, and updated now ver 8.1.215...
I'm hardwired(net), and use a 2Tbyt(50% loaded) usb drive...
Took a good 30sec to get drive directory, and after stopping movie, takes the same???
Have a "box office" player, and using this usb drive, it's very quick, <5sec...
Hopefully the internal drive on a 690 would be faster...
2d blu's look great, my sound system is not up to par for a review...
Will try 3d here shortly, and update...
post #30 of 2323 Old 03-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Wow, that is pretty slim picking. I would have expected LG themselves to have a bunch of apps ready to go as a "starter" set for people to choose from. I wonder where Amazon VOD and Hulu+ are?

I agree, it doesn't demonstrate much commitment to the platform that they would launch this way.

By the way, I contacted LG via email inquiring about Amazon VOD and Hulu Plus availability on the new players. In the response I received, they told me that the players have not been officially released yet so they don't have any information available about the Premium services being offerred.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd650 3d Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , Lg Bd690 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv And 250gb Hard Drive , Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv , New Lg 3d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv 1080p Bd650 , Lg , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - Bd670 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page