Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 8497 Old 03-24-2011, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iblaineman View Post

I just purchased the BDT210. First it doesn't do well streaming over my FIOS 802.11g router. I guest it's time for N or hard wire. I am amazed it plays TS files although not well over wireless G and I think no fast forward or rewind. I wonder what the bitrate is Pandora? I tried some of the tube sound settings but I think off is better. Also I didn't see a way to tell netflix streaming quality. I am replacing a BD35 and I do think the BDT210 sounds better and less sharp then the BD35.

Before you go to an "N" Router just make sure you MI424WR 802.11G router is not interfering with any 2.4GHZ phones you might have. I have not had any problems since I dumped those types of phones for the newer DECT 6.0 phones a couple of years ago. Also, sometimes a microwave oven while working can cause interference as well.

If you decide to go the "N" route the link below will help you add the router properly without affecting your other FIOS equipment and while maintaining wired performance through your Actiontec. The BDT210 should have no problems streaming after adding the "N" routers I spoke of above.

Good luck

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizo...tworking#12506
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8497 Old 03-24-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Addict View Post

I was reading through this entire thread and I noticed that some were discussing having black screen flashes while viewing Netflix videos. I am noticing it too. Has anyone figured out the cause of it?

Appears to be a bug in their streaming logic... while adjusting bandwidth speed. I really like the player but it goes back before the return period ends if it's not resolved.
post #543 of 8497 Old 03-24-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Appears to be a bug in their streaming logic... while adjusting bandwidth speed. I really like the player but it goes back before the return period ends if it's not resolved.

I agree it is either a bug, or maybe it is Panasonic's way of adjusting to a decrease in Netflix bandwidth while attempting to achieve minimal disruption in the viewing experience. I say this because I have a Roku XD, and on the rare occasion when it has to readjust to a drop in bandwidth, it will stop the entire viewing process and instead show the buffering bar on the screen. When this happens it typically means the PQ will be downgraded and this is evidenced by a corresponding reduction in the number of "quality dots" which can be seen just to the right of the buffering bar (i.e., the PQ will go from 4 dots to 3 dots). I have never had the Roku attempt to return to the better PQ back during the rest of the affected show/movie (there are some manual tricks to reset the PQ that work sometimes). My network is wired throughout and I have 12mbps.
post #544 of 8497 Old 03-24-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 177
Quote:

I agree it is either a bug, or maybe it is Panasonic's way of adjusting to a decrease in Netflix bandwidth while attempting to achieve minimal disruption in the viewing experience.

That fact it always happens so quickly leads me to a bug. It recovers (almost) instantly and if it was bandwidth starved I'm guessing it wouldn't be just a few frames. My TiVo will pause as well at times although I don't remember the PS3 doing such and it's using the newer interface like the Panasonic. I just can't see them throwing up a few blank frames... worse case keep what was there.
post #545 of 8497 Old 03-24-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Can anyone comment on streaming quality and performance with Amazon VOD and Vudu?

I've streamed NF and BB from my 93, nf looks mostly bad and bb has looked pretty good with the limited content I've watched.

edit - never mind, my 210 just landed so I'll see for myself tonight!

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #546 of 8497 Old 03-24-2011, 01:12 PM

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD85 that I am happy with. Any compelling reason to upgrade to a DMP-BDT110 or 210?? Mine is hardwired to the net. No problems at all. Is there an increase in BD picture quality or streaming performance?? Any quicker loading or anything else?? Have no problem upgrading but not if there is no quality difference.
post #547 of 8497 Old 03-24-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

That fact it always happens so quickly leads me to a bug. It recovers (almost) instantly and if it was bandwidth starved I'm guessing it wouldn't be just a few frames. My TiVo will pause as well at times although I don't remember the PS3 doing such and it's using the newer interface like the Panasonic. I just can't see them throwing up a few blank frames... worse case keep what was there.

Now that you mention it, it doesn't make sense to see just a flash (couple of blank frames) if there was a true bandwidth bottleneck. It should at least vary in time to recovery. Instead, each flash seems to be uniform in duration. When I first noticed it, I would rewind it to the spot where the flash occurred, but was unable to duplicate it so I knew there was a problem. That's how I found this thread.

Very disappointing because I was hoping to use this as my new Netflix interface from now on and eliminate duplicate components (although I prefer the "quality dots" on Roku that indicate what PQ you will be getting while the stream is loading). I just got a Panny plasma TV and I have yet to check the Netflix on it to see if it does the same thing.
post #548 of 8497 Old 03-24-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDee View Post

In order to use the Skype feature do I need a special Panasonic camera?

I was wondering about the skype feature too on the 210 and if it required a special webcam? Sorry if it is answered somewhere but I searched through 6 pages with no answer....
post #549 of 8497 Old 03-24-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrown View Post
I have a Panasonic DMP-BD85 that I am happy with. Any compelling reason to upgrade to a DMP-BDT110 or 210?? Mine is hardwired to the net. No problems at all. Is there an increase in BD picture quality or streaming performance?? Any quicker loading or anything else?? Have no problem upgrading but not if there is no quality difference.
The main difference is 110/210 supports 3D playback, 85 doesn't. Other than that, the rest is not that big a deal (new Netflix that supports search and 5.1 audio etc.) I'm not sure how your 85 compares to older generation 60/80. 110 is also much faster powering up than my old BD60.
post #550 of 8497 Old 03-24-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Now that you mention it, it doesn't make sense to see just a flash (couple of blank frames) if there was a true bandwidth bottleneck. It should at least vary in time to recovery. Instead, each flash seems to be uniform in duration. When I first noticed it, I would rewind it to the spot where the flash occurred, but was unable to duplicate it so I knew there was a problem. That's how I found this thread.

Very disappointing because I was hoping to use this as my new Netflix interface from now on and eliminate duplicate components (although I prefer the "quality dots" on Roku that indicate what PQ you will be getting while the stream is loading). I just got a Panny plasma TV and I have yet to check the Netflix on it to see if it does the same thing.
I haven't had any issues streaming Netflix.
post #551 of 8497 Old 03-24-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
The main difference is 110/210 supports 3D playback, 85 doesn't. Other than that, the rest is not that big a deal (new Netflix that supports search and 5.1 audio etc.) I'm not sure how your 85 compares to older generation 60/80. 110 is also much faster powering up than my old BD60.

Good that's what I wanted to hear. I have no use for 3D so upgrading to a new unit is of no use to me. It has quick start so it's plenty fast enough. No need for me to upgrade at this time.
post #552 of 8497 Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Good that's what I wanted to hear. I have no use for 3D so upgrad ing to a new unit is of no use to me. It has quick start so it's plenty fast enough. No need for me to upgrade at this time.

I think Mkv support is new to the 110/210 as well.
post #553 of 8497 Old 03-24-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have been enjoying Bluray movies on my Gen 1 PS3 since Feb 2007. My system includes

Epson 1080UB projector (1920x1080p native including 24Hz support)
Gen1 PS3
HK AVR 745 (awesome receiver - can do 5.1 PCM through HDMI but only 1080i pass through)

Because of the receiver's limitation I used a monoprice 4x2 matrix HDMI switcher/splitter. Since I can set the list of supported audio formats in the PS3, this monoprice product worked well for me. It would let me set PS3 to output 1080p24 and then the projector will get that and the receiver will also get that but the receiver was able to process the audio from it but not able to pass through it. It worked well enough except for occasional glitches and problems properly playing SACDs at 176.4kHz sample rate using the PS3.

Recently, I got the upgrade bug and bought a newer receiver, but was not impressed by the audio quality. So, I returned it. Then I found a floor model Panny BDT-300 and bought it for $200. I am impressed with the picture quality. It also let me do two different kinds of audio connections neither of which was possible with the PS3. The BDT-300 has two HDMI outputs. I can set the second output for audio only and send it to the receiver and send the primary one to the projector. I did this and both audio and video quality are superb. I also tried the 5.1 channel analog out of the BDT-300 and it also was great. Sometimes, I thought the analog sounded a tad bit better than the HDMI but I think that was because of the volume level differences.

Since then, I have been thinking - I have been nervous about getting a floor model that is a little scuffed up and also they did not have a wifi dongle for it. The BB employee was actually pretty rude to me today because I went there the third time to ask for the dongle. Looks like he is neither going to come down in price some more for the missing dongle or get me one.

Based on the reviews in this thread, I bought a BDT-210 from BB. This one has only one HDMI output and no multi channel analog audio. So, I tried using the monoprice switcher/splitter. Big failure. First of all the video kept cutting out. Not stable at all. The video came up in 1080i many times and even if I managed 1080p it was not 24Hz. Audio was only in stereo. Could not get it to do 5.1 PCM. I had set the audio formats in the 210 to do PCM for everything. Looks like the EDID info in the switcher messed up the 210 and unlike the PS3 I cannot force the audio output on the 210. So, regardless of any video quality improvements, BDT-210 is a no go for me. I also bought a BD-85 from Sears for $140. I have not opened it. It has only one HDMI and I would assume it will behave similar to the BDT-210. However, it has multi channel analog output. I also think based on information in this forum, the quality of BD-85 and BDT-300 should be similar. I will still check out the BD-85. With BD-85, my only choice is multi channel analog. Next up is the upcoming BDT-310. It has 2 HDMI outputs I believe but still no multi channel analog.

So the BDT-300 gives me both choices for audio. 310 and 85 give me one and 210 gives me none. Oppo 93 gives me both too - but the price is a lot higher.

So, is the audio quality of 310 going to be significantly better than the 300 to warrant me going exclusively with dual HDMI and give up multi channel analog? Should I just stay with multi channel analog and keep the BD-85? Or should I just take a big upgrade and get the Oppo 93. I wish I could keep the BDT-300 until the 310 is out so I can compare- but BB only gives 30 day return window. Also, the 210's build quality is a lot flimsier than the 300. The 85 I think will look similar to the 300. Aren't they both 2010 models?
post #554 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 05:05 AM

Hi,

I have upgraded yesterday to a 210 from an oppo 970HD.

My problem is that I cant find the right codec configuration to convert my AVIs and XVIDs to mkv. I tried several video codecs, MPEG4, MPEG2.... and always used AC3 for audio. Did somebody successfully convert AVI and XVID for it to play on the 210. Let me know what software (preferably free) and what codec you chose.

Not to be only a leecher here are my thoughts so far.

PQ: Blu ray well better than HD cable (its my first BD player), SD the oppo upconverted better it seems but that could my calibration.

DLNA well it took time to find the right software, here my trials
Tried both wired and wireless (802g 15 ft away same room). No difference between connections. It recognised my home network flawlessly but only played video in few softs.

Windows 7: crap picture but all formats would play
TVersity: did not work
Fuppes: cant config it to work, I did not find a step by step, it seems to config like a dosbox or other GNU for linux software but dont have the skills yet (I got ubuntu on a netbook though)
Twonkymedia did not work
PS3Mediaserver did not work
Wild media server: works well, picture quality is perfect, only downside is the price. transcode on the fly flawlessly on a quadcore (m17X).

Netflix (20mb cable)
Picture is somewhat grainy but no artifacts or funny business, the interface could be a bit faster. Did experience the black flashes posted earlier but once or twice a movie. I can deal with that.

SD card: did not work(but certainly due to a codec issue)

So to recap,
I need codecs that would work on the 210 US and possibly software. I would prefer for a MKV format.
Does somebody has a good calibration for this unit, especially for video and display setting?
post #555 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes4444 View Post

I think Mkv support is new to the 110/210 as well.

Mkv support? Pardon my ignorance but... what is Mkv and why would it be of importance to me?
post #556 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abralux View Post

Hi,

My problem is that I cant find the right codec configuration to convert my AVIs and XVIDs to mkv. I tried several video codecs, MPEG4, MPEG2.... and always used AC3 for audio. Did somebody successfully convert AVI and XVID for it to play on the 210. Let me know what software (preferably free) and what codec you chose.

So to recap,
I need codecs that would work on the 210 US and possibly software. I would prefer for a MKV format.
Does somebody has a good calibration for this unit, especially for video and display setting?

I don't mess with any containers other than MKV and I only convert that to DVD. I don't want to start with bad video. Your best bet is to Google you can also go here:http://www.afterdawn.com/

I don't use DNLA I use network shares without any servers.

I left the video settings as is and let my display handle any changes.

Quote:

Mkv support? Pardon my ignorance but... what is Mkv and why would it be of importance to me?

MKV is a container commonly used for hd video when downloaded.
post #557 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

I don't mess with any containers other than MKV and I only convert that to DVD. I don't want to start with bad video. Your best bet is to Google you can also go here:

Alright then. What codec are you using when ripping a dvd then.

I already tried google with no luck. There are 20 pages of it trying to sell me the player. Clearly its a mess out there. Regarding afterdawn, it wont help me if I dont know what codec to use. I can try multiple ripper/converter but if I dont have the right codec...

Already tried in mpeg2 mpeg 4 all in mkv container, I am running out of ideas.

Please help.
post #558 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickBK View Post

I was wondering about the skype feature too on the 210 and if it required a special webcam? Sorry if it is answered somewhere but I searched through 6 pages with no answer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDee View Post

In order to use the Skype feature do I need a special Panasonic camera?

I did some research into this and asked Panasonic. It looks like you do have to use a Panasonic Camera. One of the recommended models, is the Panasonic TY-CC10W Skype Enabled Camera. It is kinda pricey ~ $170. Argh!
post #559 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I already tried google with no luck. There are 20 pages of it trying to sell me the player. Clearly its a mess out there. Regarding afterdawn, it wont help me if I dont know what codec to use. I can try multiple ripper/converter but if I dont have the right codec...

Please help.

I really have no idea what codecs I have, I use TMPGEnc, I use it because it has the best quality I have found. I don't know if it will convert to MKV.

As for Afterdawn post or search in the forums tell them what you're trying do. They also have a bunch of tutorials with detailed instructions and everything you need to get it done.

My guess is there's not very many that want to convert AVI, Xvid to MKV. MKV is for large high bitrate files, bluray and DVD without losing quality.
post #560 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I spent about 2 hours or so messing with my new 210 last night, I did not have enough time to A/B audio quality but initially I'd say the nod goes to the 93 for better instrument separation and more robust overall sonic character (PCM not Bitstream). DVD upconversion the 93 is also superior and I found that it provided greater detail and a sharper, deeper image. However the difference was not that big and I could easily be happy with either.

DLNA support on the 210 was not a good experience for me. Only 30% of my attempts could I get it to recognize my Twonkie server and the times that it did it was unable to play any tracks selected with the exception of one attempt but it did sound decent. On the other hand the Oppo would get in and play the same tracks without an issue but I have had spotty server recognition from my 93 at times as well so it may be an issues with my confiruration, macbook, or who knows as I'm new to the DLNA thing.

The streaming features on the 210 are fantastic, interface is easy to navigate and the variety is great. I also had fun uploading some shots of Tahoe and Disneyland and saving them as wallpaper. I did not stream netflix but watched the beginning of Interview With A Vampire on Amazon VOD. I am very familiar with the movie on all formats so thought it would be a good choice. It looked terrible, very soft and some sort of light blooming artifacts above the cityscape shot of San Fransicko, not sure what to even call what I saw but it wasn't good. I did not try other titles yet but plan to do so this weekend. Streaming Pandora was excellent, fast response and AQ was pretty decent. I am a Pandora One customer so FWIW.

Bluray eject and load times were just as fast as the Oppo. Playback exhibited a slight saturation on the colors on the 210 but once adjusted the detail, depth of image, and color were indistinguishable to my eyes. Wifi operation was also excellent.

So my big issues are:
1. DLNA support seems to kinda suck in my experience compared to the Oppo.
2. The unit feels cheap and generally looks like a $30 dvd player from walmart.

Other than that I am pretty happy and will be deciding over the weekend which to keep but as of now given the negligible difference in dvd and bluray playback I see 210 staying. Add to that the fantastic variety of streaming options and it's really a winner regardless of how cheap it looks. DLNA is almost a deal killer but I have my Squeezebox to do what the BD player wont (for music at least) so hopefully I can get that working better or Pany can release FW to fix.

On a side note that probably means nothing to anyone but insomniacs like me is the "repeat title" feature works on more bluray movies than the Oppo. I like this because I'm a plasma owner and have insomnia so will often use this to fall asleep to background movies w/out the worry of the static menu screen being there for hours. The titles I tested that WILL NOT repeat play in the Oppo but did in the 210 were Vacation, Groundhogs Day, Tommy Boy, and Fletch.

My Rig

post #561 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
General Kenobi - thanks for your review. So, are you going to be returning your Oppo? I have a few SACDs that use my Gen1 PS3 with but with Oppo, I could theoretically just give up on PS3 games (which I don't really play anyway), and sell the PS3 and get the Oppo but my BDT-300 did a pretty good job last night that I am doubtful if Oppo is worth it.

I just need to check if 210's video quality is better than the 300's. If so, I will probably return the 210, 300 and 85 and wait for the 310.

For music, I use my iMac which is next to my entertainment center. I have optical cable going to my receiver. It does a pretty good job. I also have a Squeezebox 3 but I think I am going to put it for sale. I havent used it in a while.
post #562 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I beleive the report is that the new 2011 models are better then last year models.
I would certainly vote for that.
Jacob
post #563 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

General Kenobi - thanks for your review. So, are you going to be returning your Oppo? I have a few SACDs that use my Gen1 PS3 with but with Oppo, I could theoretically just give up on PS3 games (which I don't really play anyway), and sell the PS3 and get the Oppo but my BDT-300 did a pretty good job last night that I am doubtful if Oppo is worth it.

I just need to check if 210's video quality is better than the 300's. If so, I will probably return the 210, 300 and 85 and wait for the 310.

For music, I use my iMac which is next to my entertainment center. I have optical cable going to my receiver. It does a pretty good job. I also have a Squeezebox 3 but I think I am going to put it for sale. I havent used it in a while.

I've had it for a 2-3 months so can't return it but may sell it on ebay or something. I know I underuse it as far as some of the other audiophile qualities it has but I bought it primarily for the best possible dvd, bluray, and audio quality and if those improvements are marginal at best I'd rather have the 210 and open up some streaming options and pocket some cash from selling my 93.

My Rig

post #564 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickBK View Post

I did some research into this and asked Panasonic. It looks like you do have to use a Panasonic Camera. One of the recommended models, is the Panasonic TY-CC10W Skype Enabled Camera. It is kinda pricey ~ $170. Argh!

Well, as long as the webcam has an onboard h.264 encoder built in then it will work. However there are only a few of these, and the cheapest is something like 80 bucks with no microphones built in...lol, I will be waiting a year or so I guess...
post #565 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Any idea, from mail in rebate time to see tracking of your rebate online?

and what is turn around time for avatar 3D disc?
post #566 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 129
My experience is 4-5 weeks from the time you put it in your mailbox to the time it shows up on your door. That was around the holidays. I think the typical time is around 4 weeks.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #567 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Please help.

The problem might not necessarily be the codec, could also be your frame size, i.e., highth & width. I don't remember how strict Panasonic is on sticking within the blu ray parameters but I've had others that wouldn't play a mkv if the frame dimensions were out of spec.

I use Ripbot264 to covert when I want to go into mkv, but that is only for HD DVDs. For dvds I rip to iso with no conversion.
post #568 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Any idea, from mail in rebate time to see tracking of your rebate online?

and what is turn around time for avatar 3D disc?

I mailed in mine on Mar 14 and it just showed up in online status on Mar 24. Waiting to see how long will the disc show up.
post #569 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I mailed in mine on Mar 14 and it just showed up in online status on Mar 24. Waiting to see how long will the disc show up.

thanks!
post #570 of 8497 Old 03-25-2011, 01:54 PM

So the avatar rebate has to be mailed in no online signups to register it?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt110 3d 2d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Movies , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Dmp Bdt100 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Receivers Amplifiers , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Panasonic 1080p Blu Ray Player Dmp Bd35ak Brand , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - P50gt30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page