post #5941 of 8497 Old 12-30-2011, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSultZ View Post

Yeah the PS3 does this and I think its by default.

Thanks. I learn something new every day. I guess it's not mentioned very often because people rarely have reason to convert DTS to DD 5.1. The days when receivers lacked DTS decoders are long gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 8497 Old 12-30-2011, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got the panny 210 but it cannot play avi or xvid files and although recognizes some .mkv files but is unable to play them. Is panny unable to play these files or is there something that I am doing wrong. If anyone could help I would appreciate it as I might have to return it if in cannot play them. Does anyone know if sony supports these formats and netflix subtitles and 5.1.

Thanks
post #5943 of 8497 Old 12-30-2011, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, sort of on topic....

We started watching the above movie on network tv and it looked, and sounded great! However, commercials are a drag so we put the DVD in the 210. I'm just hoping that the DVD was poorly made cause it looked, and sounded, like crap. We've never had a DVD play this way but we had to go back to network tv (OTA btw) to enjoy exceptional pq and sound. Network was full screen btw and the DVD was letter boxed. Just curious cause I don't think it's the 210. Sorry if this is really off topic but the wife was bugging me for an answer and a poorly made DVD wasn't acceptable, at least to her.
post #5944 of 8497 Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Of course it looks better. OTA is HD and DVD is SD. As far as the rest, it was chopped and cropped for network TV. Not the original aspect ratio which is 2.35:1.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #5945 of 8497 Old 12-31-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
tversity will not read files, ps3 media server will read some, mezzmo will read all of my mpeg2 movies. does anyone know why ps3ms will read some and not others, and why tversity will not read any?

tony4k
post #5946 of 8497 Old 12-31-2011, 09:29 AM

Liked: 10
Hey Everyone,

Im a noob on this site and searched the site for the answer and haven't found it. I have the 110 and have Cox high speed internet. I connected the 110 through an ethernet cable directly from the modem. I went to "Network easy setup" and it started running the three tests. The first two(Lan and Network) passed but the third which is something about the router(Im at work and dont know what it is exactly) comes up fail and the message states that I need to do something with the router settings.

Has anyone had this same problem, or does anyone know what I should do next?

I know about AV troubleshooting but when it comes to network and internet connections I am a little lost.
post #5947 of 8497 Old 12-31-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrandone View Post

Hey Everyone,

Im a noob on this site and searched the site for the answer and haven't found it. I have the 110 and have Cox high speed internet. I connected the 110 through an ethernet cable directly from the modem. I went to "Network easy setup" and it started running the three tests. The first two(Lan and Network) passed but the third which is something about the router(Im at work and dont know what it is exactly) comes up fail and the message states that I need to do something with the router settings.

I know about AV troubleshooting but when it comes to network and internet connections I am a little lost.

I suggest you enter the 110's MAC address onto the router to assign a static IP for it.
post #5948 of 8497 Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrandone View Post

Hey Everyone,

You might also try restarting the modem and/or trying another Ethernet cable to make sure you don't have a cable problem.

post #5949 of 8497 Old 12-31-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Of course it looks better. OTA is HD and DVD is SD. As far as the rest, it was chopped and cropped for network TV. Not the original aspect ratio which is 2.35:1.

S~

Yeah I realize it was in SD and not HD but I've never seen such a dramatic difference in OTA vs DVD. I guess I need to get out more Didn't mean to waste space here but I had somebody sitting next to me, poking me, saying "ask your friends, ask your friends".......
post #5950 of 8497 Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrm View Post

Just got the panny 210 but it cannot play avi or xvid files and although recognizes some .mkv files but is unable to play them. Is panny unable to play these files or is there something that I am doing wrong. If anyone could help I would appreciate it as I might have to return it if in cannot play them. Does anyone know if sony supports these formats and netflix subtitles and 5.1.

Thanks

I don't understand why people keep posting these questions which have been beaten to death. Panny supports only some mkvs and mpg, period, nothing else, no way, no how. It's clearly stated in the manual, in the specs, in every forum, in every review. There is no reason to expect it to play divx, xvid, avi, you name it. You can convert all your files to the right mkv or transcode them to mpg, but that's a lot of work and often yeilds poor results. Please, don't buy a panny for video file streaming. Do buy one for excellent disc playback and Netflix with subtitles and 5.1. Buy an LG, Oppo, WDTV or an HTPC for file streaming.
post #5951 of 8497 Old 12-31-2011, 12:49 PM

I just picked up a 210.

Question and sorry if this has been discussed but I cant find.

Every time I power off the system, I have to start the DVD/Bluray from the beginning.

Is there a way that the system can be set to resume?
post #5952 of 8497 Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 PM

Yep, I could resume-play a DVD if I pressed the STOP button once before powering off the player or if I just powered it off during play. For BD's, I think it depends on how the disc was authored but I have not come across one that could auto-resume play.
post #5953 of 8497 Old 12-31-2011, 12:58 PM

hey guys, got the 210 last week and im sending in my Avatar postcard or what ever you want to call it. i cut out the UPC from the box, but the form also says to cut out the serial number. i checked the box and im not seeing a serial number anywhere. can anybody help me out on this?
post #5954 of 8497 Old 12-31-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo King View Post

Yep, I could resume-play a DVD if I pressed the STOP button once before powering off the player or if I just powered it off during play. For BD's, I think it depends on how the disc was authored but I have not come across one that could auto-resume play.

This was discussed before. I tried several BDs and found a few which could be auto-resumed which didn't have elaborate BD-Java menus in the beginning. One of the discs I tried did have a fancy BD-J menu but remembered itself where I left off and popped up an offer to start there, even if I stopped watching, removed it from the drive and put it back later (probably requires that you install a micro SD card). See the note after "EDIT:" in this post.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5955 of 8497 Old 12-31-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Resume is a function of the disc authoring. Disney discs often have it these days. I popped in Avatar the other night for the first time in months and was asked if I wanted to resume playback, which turned out to be in the end credits from a previous viewing.
post #5956 of 8497 Old 12-31-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Resume is a function of the disc authoring. Disney discs often have it these days. I popped in Avatar the other night for the first time in months and was asked if I wanted to resume playback, which turned out to be in the end credits from a previous viewing.

That's one of the ones that I mentioned in that old post that I linked to and it's obviously programmed--the pop-up menu is displayed in the motif of the other parts of the menu. Some other BDs will work with the BDTx10s' resume function (Terminator 2, one of the Harry Potter movies and doubtless many others).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5957 of 8497 Old 12-31-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Where is the resume data stored? On an SD card?
post #5958 of 8497 Old 01-01-2012, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Not necessarily. I don't have an SD card and resume works on discs that have it.
post #5959 of 8497 Old 01-01-2012, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomroughan View Post

hey guys, got the 210 last week and im sending in my Avatar postcard or what ever you want to call it. i cut out the UPC from the box, but the form also says to cut out the serial number. i checked the box and im not seeing a serial number anywhere. can anybody help me out on this?

The serial number on mine was located on the side of the box where it had the llllllllllllllll markings that you see on things that are scanned. Make sure you send the code on the box that the player is in, not the outer box that it was shipped in if you bought it online and had it shipped to you.
post #5960 of 8497 Old 01-01-2012, 05:08 AM

Im thinking about getting a 310 as they are on sale right now but i wonder if its possible to stream music (mp3) from the computer or playing from a SD card without having to switch the TV on or is it all about tv on screen navigation these days?
post #5961 of 8497 Old 01-01-2012, 05:26 AM

Help please friends,

I run a home cinema system with an odd inexplicable fault that it entirely repeatable.

Watching bluray films the player (this only happens with Panasonic players) switches off after between 5 and 15 minutes. After switching back on the frequency increases to every 5 mins or so. I suspect it it some dhcp nonsense but sadly it means I cannot own a Panasonic bluray which I know is fast and great picture quality. Please can anyone suggest a fix?

My system is:
Onkyo 809 receiver
Projector Infocus x10
Any Panasonic Bulray. I have tried bdp 65 (x2). Bdp 110 now my final attempt with the bdp 310. I also have a pioneer bdp 430 which does not have this fault but is hideously slow!. I have also tried other brands and no fault. I have tried the above setup with my plasma as the display and it does not occur.
post #5962 of 8497 Old 01-01-2012, 07:09 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelcwoo View Post

Help please friends,

I run a home cinema system with an odd inexplicable fault that it entirely repeatable.

Watching bluray films the player (this only happens with Panasonic players) switches off after between 5 and 15 minutes. After switching back on the frequency increases to every 5 mins or so. I suspect it it some dhcp nonsense but sadly it means I cannot own a Panasonic bluray which I know is fast and great picture quality. Please can anyone suggest a fix?

My system is:
Onkyo 809 receiver
Projector Infocus x10
Any Panasonic Bulray. I have tried bdp 65 (x2). Bdp 110 now my final attempt with the bdp 310. I also have a pioneer bdp 430 which does not have this fault but is hideously slow!. I have also tried other brands and no fault. I have tried the above setup with my plasma as the display and it does not occur.

Have you turned off all picture processing on the Onkyo? The HDMI signal should e set to just pass through. I have a 609 and heard that the handshaking via HDMI can be wonky with video processing engaged. Perhaps Panny players don't like it?
post #5963 of 8497 Old 01-01-2012, 09:08 AM

Also how good is the media player in these players compared to the builtin player in the 2011 panasonic plasma tvs (GT30 etc)..same, better or worse?
post #5964 of 8497 Old 01-01-2012, 09:57 AM

Can the BDT players play movies which is encoded with x264?
In the manual they only mention that DivX is playable content.
It's also funny that they don't mention Xvid at all in the manual, but i know that the BDT players can play Xvid movies.
post #5965 of 8497 Old 01-01-2012, 10:07 AM

I've just purchased the bdt110 to replace my ps3. The player connects thru a Denon 1910 to an Optoma hd20. The 24p option under tv HDMI settings is not selectable. The receiver should be passing the signal straight thro (no scaling). With the same setup the ps3 could enable 24p ok. From this thread I see that cables are likely to be the issue. I have tried a couple of different ones between the player and the 1910, but replacing the cable to the pj would not be easy. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas as to what might be causing this?
post #5966 of 8497 Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman2 View Post

I've just purchased the bdt110 to replace my ps3. The player connects thru a Denon 1910 to an Optoma hd20. The 24p option under tv HDMI settings is not selectable. The receiver should be passing the signal straight thro (no scaling). With the same setup the ps3 could enable 24p ok. From this thread I see that cables are likely to be the issue. I have tried a couple of different ones between the player and the 1910, but replacing the cable to the pj would not be easy. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas as to what might be causing this?

Cables are not the issue. While the projector does accept 1080p/24, the HD20 is a 60Hz projector. There is more than likely an EDID issue in the projector itself. I have seen it on Optoma models and it has been reported around here. Panasonic will not force 1080p/24. It really shouldn't matter where the pulldown is done, Panasonic or projector.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #5967 of 8497 Old 01-01-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelcwoo View Post

Help please friends,

My system is:
Onkyo 809 receiver
Projector Infocus x10

Sounds like your long HDMI cable connects to the PJ is not up to task. Panasonic's have a pretty weak HDMI transiver chip and any flaw in HDMI cable (even in short runs) can cause problems.
post #5968 of 8497 Old 01-01-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomroughan View Post

On both the 110 models I purchased locally (Frys), there was a white sticker on one of the box sides which had three bar codes; from top to bottom underneath each bar code: model #, serial # and then the UPC #. Maybe the 210 model has a different format/location though.

Being a sticker, instead of cutting it out, I peeled it off after warming it up with my hand for a few minutes. You don't have to do that, of course. I just like the idea of not cutting into product boxes if I can avoid it. The Avatar disc came in about 4 weeks from mailing date, the last one I mailed in on 11/29/11 & rcv'd 12/27/11. I've done it twice now and I have two free btd110 players from the resale of those discs. Crazy (good). I should have done twenty more. ah, hindsight.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #5969 of 8497 Old 01-01-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman2 View Post

PS3 can set to force 24p output while panny players strictly obey EDID info obtained from HDMI handshake. That's the main difference. Did you try to bypass the receiver and connect direct to the TV/PJ? If it works that way, you may have to configure you AVR so that it can pass the HDMI video untouched. A lot of receivers processes or overlayes graphics on HDMI video. When this happens, it typically won't accept 24p signal.

But as teachsac pointed out, your PJ is natively 60p only. There is zero benefit for you to turn on 24p. in suce situation.
post #5970 of 8497 Old 01-01-2012, 10:50 AM

So no one knows if BDT310 can play x264 movies?
The manual only says that it can play DivX movies, so judging by that it cannot play x264 movies?
But it would be weird if it can't play x264 movies.. that would be absolutely unacceptable for a high-end blu-ray player year 2012.

If it's a stupid question don't just laugh at me and ignore me because i'm new to all this.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt110 3d 2d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Movies , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Dmp Bdt100 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Receivers Amplifiers , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Panasonic 1080p Blu Ray Player Dmp Bd35ak Brand , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - P50gt30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page