AVS Forum banner
1M views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  glangford 
#1 ·
All things 110/210/310 here! Who has received theirs so far? What do you like? What could they improve? gogogo!

edit: my first impressions after a 30 minute test session:

Im a total noob when it comes to this 3d stuff and blu-ray players and whatnot, so take all of this with a grain of salt. I just got the BDT110 today, upgrading from a BDT100 that I only played with a couple times before selling it on ebay. The 100 was my first blu-ray, and this is my first experience with plasma technology and 3d technology. I got the Panasonic 50GT25 3d plasma just a couple weeks ago. This is just going to be a stream of consciousness of things I noticed in my quick 30 minute test drive...

Setup and updating the firmware was simple through my ethernet connection. I read a review on amazon where the dude said he wasn't able to do it over the internet and had to burn some iso disc to update his firmware and it was a big pain, but I had no such issues.

Right off the bat I started having quite a lot of handshake issues w/ my Onkyo receiver when switching back and forth between 2d and 2d-->3d conversion. When I'd switch, it would get a static screen, then a green screen, then it would go blank. Then, I'd hear only audio with a blank picture. "HDMI handshake" problems is the correct term for this, right? I'd have to restart everything and it kept happening--it was quite frustrating. I think there are firmware updates to fix this, correct? I don't think this ever happened with my BDT100. Any suggestions?

As far as the 2d-->3d conversion, it seems to do a better job converting a blu-ray than my 50GT25 does, so that's pretty neat. I tried it on Toy Story 3 blu-ray and it looked pretty cool. Not as good as a true 3d blu-ray naturally, but pretty neat nonetheless. I tried doing 2d-3d from Netflix content by pushing the "3d" button, but it nothing happened (or did it say "this feature not available"?). So I'm not sure if you can convert that content to 3d.

Another thing that may turn out cool is that you can put a vignette around the picture in 3d. Have you ever noticed how the edges on a 3d blu-ray can sometimes look real distracting how one eye will have the image off of the screen and the other eye the edge of the image will be on the screen? I'm sure there's a name for this but all i know is that it can really take away from the movie at times. Anyway, the 110 has an upgrade (from the 100) where you can put a black/gray/blue/red vignette around the edges so that edge artifact is nearly gone.

I'll have to play with the settings to get everything looking optimal, as there are so many damn things you can tweak (i.e., depth, .

The interface is really slick looking and seems intuitive. The Netflix upgrade from the 100 is great. You can now browse all titles, rather than just look at your instant queue and their suggestions. One thing that seems to be missing is that you can't browse just by HD content.

I tried burning an .mkv file of a blu-ray movie to a DVD-R and playing it, and although the resolution of the picture itself looked stellar, no audio was coming through and the video was really choppy, speeding up then slowing down. This is the first time I have ever burned any mkv files so it is distinctly possible that I did something wrong and this is of no fault of the player itself. Just throwing this out there...

A minor thing that kept pissing me off... When I'd put a movie in, I tried to press the "top menu" button to skip the previews and go right to the title menu of the movie, but it never seemed to work? I had to manually fast forward through previews and whatnot. I'm sure this is something I was doing wrong probably.

I'll update as I think of more things.

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsbro /forum/post/20092776

Loving the BDT210. Being new to these players, can anyone recommend a SDcard size to leave in the player? Heck, do I even need one for anything beside BD-live stuff?

many thanks

For BD Live about 2gb would be plenty. As cheap as they are you may as well get something a bit larger in case you want to transfer some files to the card and use in the player.

$12.95 shipped for 8gb class 6
http://www.meritline.com/a-data-8gb-...--p-18673.aspx

#28 ·
Here are some times Ive compiled from my units:

BD35--BD85--BDT110--BDP93 (in seconds)

Time from OFF to tray open, by pressing open button when unit is off:

21--3--4--4

Time to get to where you can select PLAY in final menu, starting with tray open:

Transformers 82--75--64--64

Iron Man 101--87--67--53

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 /forum/post/20092873

its not upconverting on the netflix. he wanted to know if the netflix on the panasonic 210 was the same as the ps3 in getting 1080P streaming. the answer is yes.

Jacob

Excellent news! Thanks!

#32 ·
From the 110/210 manual...

BD-Video

This unit supports high bit rate audio (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio) adopted in BD-Video. - [BDT110] : If Dolby D/Dolby D +/Dolby TrueHD is set to PCM, the maximum possible number of Dolby sound is 5.1ch PCM. (␣ 30)

[BDT110] : The maximum possible number of Dolby sound is 5.1ch PCM.

Also the manual says both the 110/210 will play (some formats of) MKV with USB playback. Their site states only the 210. Anyone know which is accurate?

#33 ·
I read somewhere that these players would be streaming Netflix with 5.1 audio. Can someone check this? I now use a Roku player which only streams 2.0

Thanks

#34 ·
Just in case someone misses it from the other thread--

Evidently, the 2D to 3D conversion DOES NOT WORK WITH CHECKERBOARD OUTPUT.
One of the big reasons I wanted one.......

Ordered mine (210) early yesterday morning from buy.com . Was in my hands in just over 25 hours with FREE shipping.

Ed

#35 ·
I'd appreciate if anyone can confirm whether or not these players can stream mkv's with hd content (x264 with Dd or DTS) using the built in DLNA? I've got most of my blu ray collection ripped this way and am currently using some LG players to stream the content. Thanks in advance!

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhound /forum/post/20093040

For BD Live about 2gb would be plenty. As cheap as they are you may as well get something a bit larger in case you want to transfer some files to the card and use in the player.

$12.95 shipped for 8gb class 6
http://www.meritline.com/a-data-8gb-...--p-18673.aspx

I was wondering the same thing about the SD cards for BD live. Thanks for posting your recommendation on card size and class.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilpwc /forum/post/20097103

The remote has a number pad, with letters printed on too. Normally you would tap the number "3" two times to get a E, but all that happen is I get two 3's. I pressed just about every key on the remote looking for some sort of "shift" key.

The shift on my Samsung(and a couple other devices I have) is the bottom left key(usually the star key). That cycles me thru the modes of small letters, capital letters, symbols and just numbers.

Another thought is have you tried just oressing the OK(Enter) key on the blank field? On one piece I have, that is what brings up the virtual keyboard.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 /forum/post/20092693

yes. I am getting the 1080P netflix streaming.

I don't think that's possible. According to Netflix, the Playstation is the only device that currently receives 1080p -- the maximum resolution sent to all others devices is 720p.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artseattle /forum/post/20095204

I read somewhere that these players would be streaming Netflix with 5.1 audio. Thanks

I don't know what the hardware capability of these players might be but no one is listening to Netflix streaming 5.1 sound on them because the only device that Netflix currently sends 5.1 to is the Playstation.

Netflix may upgrade its streams for other devices in the future but it hasn't yet done so.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by artseattle /forum/post/20095204

I read somewhere that these players would be streaming Netflix with 5.1 audio. Can someone check this? I now use a Roku player which only streams 2.0

Thanks

Yes it does the 5.1 audio for netflix. There is a setting you can choose before playing the movie or show. See attached pic

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fessman /forum/post/20096506

I'd appreciate if anyone can confirm whether or not these players can stream mkv's with hd content (x264 with Dd or DTS) using the built in DLNA?

According to their FAQs it's not supported...

26.DLNA- What file formats are supported by DLNA?

DLNA supports the following file formats:

Videos : MPEG2, AVCHD

Music : MP3

Photos : JPEG, MPO (3D Pictures)

#50 ·
Just a heads up, if your purchasing through amazon, purchase it @ electronic expo first and use their 5% off coupon NEWYEARS

After you added the coupon you can than checkout via Amazon or on their website.

Don't forget your eligible for the free Avatar in 3D which you can than sell for $200 at ebay.

#51 ·
Just installed the 210. Hooked up to a Pioneer 60" Kuro via HDMI and an old Denon receiver via optical. Was hoping someone might offer some advice on 2 questions:

1. The BR picture is gorgeous, no problems whatsoever. When I put in the standard dvd I had been watching last night (Carnivale) it did upconvert but looked terrible, much worse than my old player...murky and blurry. However, I haven't yet changed any settings from default. Any advice as to what settings will affect this (I'm still fairly new to BR players).

2. Network connectivity was also easy and I updated the firmware. My wireless connection is not so great, though. The router is downstairs and at the other end of the house. I do get 3 bars, though they suggest 4 bars is best for a stable connection. Trying to play 2 different series through netflix gets me an "unable to load." I did finally get a foreign movie to load up and it's actually playing, but obviously my network connection is not optimal.

If I ran a wired connection, I would need probably 200 feet of cable. Surely that's not cost effective. Do I have any other solutions? Network newbie but I can research and figure it out if given some guidance.

Apologize for the length of the post but sure could use the help. I really love the BR quality of this machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.